Comments (28)

thatchickinpa in State College, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

FYI ...

Date: February 24, 2009

To: SNMTS Members

SNMTS President

Re: Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Shortage

Over the past year, there has been increasing concern regarding the growing shortage of jobs for nuclear medicine technologists. SNMTS is aware of this concern and is now working at the grassroots level, with chapter leadership, to gather background information and statistics related to the shortage. The National Council of Representatives (NCOR) has created a task force to begin addressing this issue. The SNMTS Executive Board will also be working to develop a recommendation to be sent to the Joint Review Commission for Nuclear Medicine Technologists (JRCNMT) regarding the current acceptance rate of Nuclear Medicine Programs.

The current economic situation, as described by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, indicates that general unemployment is the highest it has been since August 2003. “August mass layoff events, at 1,772 seasonally adjusted, reached a program high for the month, while associated initial claims, at 173,955, were the highest for August since 2001. Year-to-date totals of layoff events (12,542) and related initial claims (1,274,765) in 2008 were the highest January–August totals since 2003” (BLS 9-23-08).

Nuclear medicine technologist job shortages have occurred throughout the history of this industry. While in most cases the problem fixes itself, we realize that in the United States’ current economic situation, recovery may take longer than usual.

In an effort to assist those searching for open positions, we have identified the following job search sites as quick references for nuclear medicine technologists:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

(cont.)

Society of Nuclear Medicine's Online Job Bank
www.snm.org/education/new_jobbank_1.htmlSNM Pacific Southwest Chapter Job Bank www.nucgang.org
ASRT Online Job Bank www.artofsearch.com/asrt
ADVANCE for Imaging and Radiation Therapy Professionals www.advanceforirt.com/
RTJobs.com www.rtjobs.com
Radiology Today www.radiologytoday.net
Allied Health Careers www.alliedhealthcareers.com/

In addition to those listed above, additional, more generic, job search engines are listed below, for your convenience:
www.indeed.com
www.monster.com
www.careerbuilder.com
www.simplyhired.com

In searching these sites, you will find that many full- and part-time jobs are available for nuclear medicine technologists. As a general rule, more jobs are available in cities where there is no academic institution with a nuclear medicine technology program; however, there are employment opportunities for both junior and senior nuclear medicine technologists.

We understand that this is difficult time for many nuclear medicine technologists and appreciate your continued dedication to SNMTS. We will keep you informed via e-mail blasts and notices on the Web page of any updates we have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

Wow thatchickinpa, thanks for that post...

Yet, I do not believe that SNMTS really cares. I know that they have known about the current situation and so far have done nothing at all... I actually know some folks that are in the educational committee in SNM and they themselves have done nothing in their power as managers/supervisors to help the current situation, but rather have helped administration in the hospital where they work, cut NMT's hours and shrink the departments, as well as using non certified NMTs to do PET and Nuc Med, just newly graduated x-ray students, cause it is cheaper... to show off to management… So why would I believe that SNM would care about the profession???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Wow thatchickinpa, thanks for that post...

Yet, I do not believe that SNMTS really cares. I know that they have known about the current situation and so far have done nothing at all... I actually know some folks that are in the educational committee in SNM and they themselves have done nothing in their power as managers/supervisors to help the current situation, but rather have helped administration in the hospital where they work, cut NMT's hours and shrink the departments, as well as using non certified NMTs to do PET and Nuc Med, just newly graduated x-ray students, cause it is cheaper... to show off to management… So why would I believe that SNM would care about the profession???

Couldn't have said it as well as you Saly...I agree totally with you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

For real, does anyone believe that words only could make a difference? I surely do not... I have not seen the SNM carrying at all about our profession. I think they could have done way, way more, and that is why I dropped my membership. They've nothing for the current situation to help the profession. And now, after it is a fact they come up with a simple post. If the individual members of their education board do not care for the profession, how can I think or believe that the SNM or it's educational board would???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

My friend forwarded this memo to me, and I decided to post it here. The memo irritated me because I feel that Mr. Wallenmeyer lacks empathy for and is out touch with the "common" NMT. His listing of job search engines demonstrates my point. What NMT looking more than a week for work isn't already aware of these resources?

Quite frankly, Mr. Wallenmeyer is employed and probably commands a very good salary. I am sure he only cares about keeping membership in order to maintain his position and pay his wage. He will waste money gathering statistics on the job shortage to be referenced in reports and nothing will come of it.

While I am not an NMT, a friend is and she was laid off a few months ago. Since the market is so tight for NMTs, I am helping with her job search. It is more than full-time work in itself! We can only find part-time or temporary opportunities. I have never seen a job market like this before. And I know people in retail that could still find jobs even in the worst of economic times!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

thatchickinpa in State College, Pennsylvania said: My friend forwarded this memo to me, and I decided to post it here. The memo irritated me because I feel that Mr. Wallenmeyer lacks empathy for and is out touch with the "common" NMT. His listing of job search engines demonstrates my point. What NMT looking more than a week for work isn't already aware of these resources?

Quite frankly, Mr. Wallenmeyer is employed and probably commands a very good salary. I am sure he only cares about keeping membership in order to maintain his position and pay his wage. He will waste money gathering statistics on the job shortage to be referenced in reports and nothing will come of it.

While I am not an NMT, a friend is and she was laid off a few months ago. Since the market is so tight for NMTs, I am helping with her job search. It is more than full-time work in itself! We can only find part-time or temporary opportunities. I have never seen a job market like this before. And I know people in retail that could still find jobs even in the worst of economic times!

Very well said thatchickinpa... yes if non NMT's could tell how dire the situation is, then it must be much worse than I thought...:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Folks look what I googled: www.airlinepilotforums.com/leaving-career/37231-nuclear-medicine.html
Funny nurse!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Said Day in Colorado Springs, Colorado

70 months ago

I have been a nuclear Medicine Tech for 13 years, certified ARRT (N), NMTCB, and NMTCB (NCT) My last job was with a cardiology office, I was let go and replaced by a non certified technologist, since then I have had no luck finding a job. I see this field go from great to gross. I wonder what the field is going to be like in another 13 years. Have considered other types of proffession. I enjoyed nuclear medicine, the education of the patients, physicians, and staff. Why does a field like nuclear medicine which has ICANL, state requirements and certification organizations allow non certified techs to work in the field. One thing comes to mind it is not the patient care or the professionalism of the field and staff. I would say greed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Scottsdale, Arizona

69 months ago

Wow! I am glad I stumbled on this website and postings/comments. I just started researching different healthcare fields for a possible career change. NMT was one field I was considering. I was not aware of the employment problems you all describe. Is there a core reason, or several reasons for the problem? Are schools taking in and graduating too many students, or is this all on the employer side, relating to budget cuts etc. I would hate to start down a road only to be very disappointed. I was considering nursing at the RN level, but we have a terrible waiting list issue here at the community college program. Is Respiratory Therapy an allied field worth considering?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Andrew, respiratory therapy has much, much better employment market compared to nuc med. Go for it. Forget about nuc med, there are no jobs in that field. Please take your time and read the different topics here, and you will find for yourself. Also, go on every web site of every healthcare facility where you are and look to see how many FT or PT openings they have. Do not look at PRN openings, only ft & pt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Scottsdale, Arizona

69 months ago

Thank you for the advice!

Keith in Rosemount, Minnesota

68 months ago

I have been a Nuclear Medicine Technologist for over 20 years. The past 2 years has been very difficult. Management wants to cut hours due to frequent Mo99 generator shortages. Placement of noncertified techs to replace registered NMT's. No jobs. Anywhere. Maybe PRN if you are lucky.

Also high cost of radiopharmaceuticals are tough for small hospitals with low patient volume. SNM must look into these issues . If not in 10 years , only large medical centers will be able to afford Nuc Med.
Ponder this before choicing this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don in New Port Richey, Florida

67 months ago

thatchickinpa in State College, Pennsylvania said: FYI ...

Date: February 24, 2009

To: SNMTS Members

SNMTS President

Re: Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job Shortage

Over the past year, there has been increasing concern regarding the growing shortage of jobs for nuclear medicine technologists. SNMTS is aware of this concern and is now working at the grassroots level, with chapter leadership, to gather background information and statistics related to the shortage. The National Council of Representatives (NCOR) has created a task force to begin addressing this issue. The SNMTS Executive Board will also be working to develop a recommendation to be sent to the Joint Review Commission for Nuclear Medicine Technologists (JRCNMT) regarding the current acceptance rate of Nuclear Medicine Programs.

The current economic situation, as described by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, indicates that general unemployment is the highest it has been since August 2003. “August mass layoff events, at 1,772 seasonally adjusted, reached a program high for the month, while associated initial claims, at 173,955, were the highest for August since 2001. Year-to-date totals of layoff events (12,542) and related initial claims (1,274,765) in 2008 were the highest January–August totals since 2003” (BLS 9-23-08).

Nuclear medicine technologist job shortages have occurred throughout the history of this industry. While in most cases the problem fixes itself, we realize that in the United States’ current economic situation, recovery may take longer than usual.

In an effort to assist those searching for open positions, we have identified the following job search sites as quick references for nuclear medicine technologists:

Don't propagate misinformation. there are no jobs and a glut of liars about this situation. GET REAL. Marky, you've got your secure job, so you really don't care about the rest of us. No more lies, pleas

Don in New Port Richey, Florida

67 months ago

Stop the lies and misinformation. There are no jobs, but plenty of duped people keeping folks like you and Elaine Markham secure, but you really don't give a damn about the rest of us, just as long as we pay dues to help you keep YOUR JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

Wow....what a forum.. It has been good to talk about the reduced employment situation. I am hoping SNM can and will address these issues.
Nuc Med will exist in 20 years if we can work together and reduce the high cost of radioisotopes and make sure we have a domestic source for TC.
I have to agree with the unemployed new grads. The emotions would be high...the program is intense and the outcome should be good for employment.
Good luck evryone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LeeR in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

65 months ago

WOW....What a forum. Im an RN with a BSN. We dont have this lack of job situation like you guys but i can say...NURSING SUX. It is nothing what i thought it would be. Im glad i received a great education but also feel i cant handle another day. That's why im considering a job in Nuc Med Tech. Im aware that i need to get certified in this field. Im going to risk the chance and am going to Go to school anyway, regaurdless of job opportunities now. I believe the economy will change....It always does. First we need to get this so called President OUT.....He's the largest part of this problem. ANYWAY.....enough of that.... For you Nuc Tech out there: DO you like it? And Do you make good money? And for you prospective nurses out there ....Id reconsider that too.... You work your ass off in a stressful atmosphere for $21-25 and hour.. Whatever... Ive done my time....And glad its over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LeeR in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

65 months ago

Keith in Rosemount, Minnesota said: I have been a Nuclear Medicine Technologist for over 20 years. The past 2 years has been very difficult. Management wants to cut hours due to frequent Mo99 generator shortages. Placement of noncertified techs to replace registered NMT's. No jobs. Anywhere. Maybe PRN if you are lucky.

Also high cost of radiopharmaceuticals are tough for small hospitals with low patient volume. SNM must look into these issues . If not in 10 years , only large medical centers will be able to afford Nuc Med.
Ponder this before choicing this field.

Hey Keith, Thanks for comments on here. DO you think a person with a BSN in nursing with certification in Nuc Med. has a better chance in obtaining a job? Thanks, Lee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Sonoma, California

63 months ago

LeeR in Ocean Springs, Mississippi said: Hey Keith, Thanks for comments on here. DO you think a person with a BSN in nursing with certification in Nuc Med. has a better chance in obtaining a job? Thanks, Lee

There's a job right now at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale for a RN/CNMT.

Jesse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

Reading the comments in this forum have really scared me. I am currently enrolled in an accelerated program in NMT. I am 4 months into my 14month program. i have Worked extremely hard to get to this point and i have spent alot of money. I am an A student and my concern for this matter is growing. I don't want to graduate to a jobless market. I understand the Shortage of Jobs and theare is preference for experienced employee's, but is there anything else i can do with my degree. It gets me really depressed when i think about how much stress i have put myself through for my education, only to think i might not get a job.. If anyone has any insight, please offer i could use the help... I have worked too hard to drop out of this program now..

Robert--CO

58 months ago

My suggestion is to put your educational dollars to good return. Nuc. Med. is now so expensive that small hospitals are cutting back staff. Ultrasound and CT has taken some of our bread and butter scans. PET is great in larger hospitals. I have been a tech for over 20 years and have seen the job outlook so bleak and the expense so high to keep a NM dept running. I would suggest
PA or nursing school. Too many NMT's graduating w/o jobs. Be smart and get a good paying job for your hard wotk.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

unemployed in Winter Garden, Florida

46 months ago

I don't know about the rest of the country, but florida is over loaded with unemployed nuclear medicine technologists. I myself know of 20 techs in central florida out of work, many for more than a 1year!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

darksidzz in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

My dad said this could never happen, he was brainwashed by Joliet Junior College into believing the hype!

Eric in New York, New York

39 months ago

I would once again like to bring attention to the current Nuc Med climate in NY, NJ and the rest of the tri-state area, where the local dept. of health for these states have pretty much
single-handedly put dozens of technologists out of work because they are not X-Ray techs.
I challenge anyone, especially YOU, filthy disgrace for our SNM President Mark Wallenmeyer to tell me what have you done to stand up for the rights of us here in NY?
I challenge you to compare the educational requirements needed to enter X-Ray school versus the ones needed to enter Nuclear Medicine.
Everyone in my Nuc Med program had, at the very least, a Bachelor's degree, while X-Ray schools will setttle for a high school diploma or even G.E.D
Now, I am being told by my employer to complete CT cross-training or risk being fired.
Like many, I would love to learn a new modality to help advance my career and overall education. However, I should not be forced under these stressful circumstances in a limited time-frame.
The SNM is disgraceful and are a joke. The best solution they offer us is to go to Monster.com?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in New York, New York

39 months ago

Eric in New York, New York said: I would once again like to bring attention to the current Nuc Med climate in NY, NJ and the rest of the tri-state area, where the local dept. of health for these states have pretty much
single-handedly put dozens of technologists out of work because they are not X-Ray techs.
I challenge anyone, especially YOU, filthy disgrace for our SNM President Mark Wallenmeyer to tell me what have you done to stand up for the rights of us here in NY?
I challenge you to compare the educational requirements needed to enter X-Ray school versus the ones needed to enter Nuclear Medicine.
Everyone in my Nuc Med program had, at the very least, a Bachelor's degree, while X-Ray schools will setttle for a high school diploma or even G.E.D
Now, I am being told by my employer to complete CT cross-training or risk being fired.
Like many, I would love to learn a new modality to help advance my career and overall education. However, I should not be forced under these stressful circumstances in a limited time-frame.
The SNM is disgraceful and are a joke. The best solution they offer us is to go to Monster.com?

(BTW, I already completed an ARRT approved MRI program last year and for those of you that don't know, I am not allowed to be an MRI tech either because in NY, I cannot inject contrast if im not an X-Ray tech. Stupid me, right? I guess having limited education really benefits those with the most powerful unions and lobbys in Congress.

Amir in New York, New York

39 months ago

Here's a solution to all of you. Someone find out
Mark Wallenmeyer's email address and bombard him with emails about how he is killing our profession.

I see now, the biggest mistake I ever made in life was to waste
4 years acquiring a Bachelor's degree and another 15 months acquiring a Nuclear Medicine certificate. I should have gotten a G.E.D right out of high school and went straight to X-Ray school.
This is a wonderful message to project to our population.

DO NOT PURSUE HIGHER EDUCATION!!!

kay in Jonesboro, Georgia

31 months ago

I agree with most of the comments. I think most of the blame lies with the employers. I joined a company that was owned by two nuclear technologosts. Unfortunately they forgot their roots when the crunch came. Instead of doing the right thing, they elimated the costly employees and retained the younger less experienced ones. I would have thought, they of all people would have been more understanding and supportive of the profession. I have now been enemployed for eight months with no prospects in sight. If our own co-professionals will not support the profession, what chance do we have!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zemo in Prairie Village, Kansas

28 months ago

Best thing to do is to write your state nursing boards and Kathleen Sebellius, ask them to help create fast-track nuclear medicine to nursing bridge programs. I did this and actually received some positive replies, but more voices are needed. With a little extra training, nuclear techs could pretty easily transition over into practical nursing--if the right people cared to "create jobs" and help make it possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.