Nuclear Medicine Technologist Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 480)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

I am starting this discussion, and would like to encourage everyone that has been looking for a NMT job to share their experience in the following points:
1. How long have you been looking for a NMT job?
2. What type of NMT job-FT, PT, PRN?
3. How much experience do you have?
4. Do you have any additional certifications such as RT, CT, PET, etc.?
5. Are you willing to relocate? If so have you had any luck getting interviews out of state?
6. How many interviews have you had so far?
I think this would be helpful for prospect students, and would give some facts, rather than plain "there are no jobs for NMT's" There have been few remarks here are in our field things are not so bad. The idea of this topic is to prove that things are as bad as we say! Cause those that are not looking for job in NMT, do not really know the status of the current market, yet they are quick to criticize us and I think their comments have no factual basis. That is why we "the NMT's in jobs search" should give the facts. The questions above are geared towards that. I would appreciate if every one that participates only speaks from personal experience, and is very factual. This topic is not for discussions of how bad things are, but more like a statistical topic that would give more of a numeric picture of the current NMT job market. Thank you to everyone that participates!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

I have been a NMT for more than 10 years. I was laid-off last June, it took me 6 weeks to find a PRN job and 6 months to go FT. The only reason I was interviewed is because I knew someone. I probably sent out 20 resumes during the time I was laid-off and got NOT one interview! I'm RT(N) with PET. I also have a B.S. I would have relocated for the right job, however not a PRN position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

69 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: I have been a NMT for more than 10 years. I was laid-off last June, it took me 6 weeks to find a PRN job and 6 months to go FT. The only reason I was interviewed is because I knew someone. I probably sent out 20 resumes during the time I was laid-off and got NOT one interview! I'm RT(N) with PET. I also have a B.S. I would have relocated for the right job, however not a PRN position.

Well I have been looking for a Nuclear Medicine Technologist Job now for 6 months and to no avail. I have had the interviews though, 7 in all but with no acute care experience none went through. I am looking for FT, and no, no out of state interviews as they have been all instate. Yes I would be willing to relocate, so that isn't really an issue for me. I hold certifications by NMTCB and ARRT(N). I will say this about the current job market in Nuclear Medicine. For seasoned Techs., i.e., 2 or more years experience, finding a job should not be difficult if you are willing to relocate. However, coming straight out of school, like myself, it is difficult and seemingly impossible to land a job considering the competition that is out there. 17 students graduated in my class from Amarillo College, and I believe only one has found work within the field but that was bc a recruiter from Eagle Pass knew this particular person very well. However, he is in Lamesa, Texas now. And, next summer, 15 more students will be graduating from AC, sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

I've got over 5 years of experience in NM. Got Bachelors and have been looking for another, friendlier employer for over 1 year now, FT only. Got PET/CT experience as well. Willing to relocated, but only in certain states and areas. Have had 2 interviews out of state, but no luck to get a concrete offer so far. Total had 7 interviews, one offer fell through. One I am still negotiating and getting arrangements. I've sent out close to 30 resumes in the last 1 year. Now tell me that I am not marketable!???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Youngstown, Ohio

68 months ago

I have been looking hard for a two years, ARRT N bachelors degree in two disciplines. I thought I had good connections throughout the US but I guess not good enough. my search was nationwide anywhere. All the tech's I knew in Georgia went other directions out of the field. My reputaton sells by word of mouth but not in nuclear. graduated no legitimate offers yet. Sent out over 200 resumes past year, did follow up calls and I get the same story; get two years experience and call me back then. A few told me to go volunteer at local hospitals to keep up with my profession and gain experience. Wasted more time doing applicatons and searching for jobs that were advertised, yet not hiring anybody. Out of state only two telephonic interviews and PRN list. RATIO 1:75 1 CALL PER 75 RESUMES SENT OUT.In June I have two RN programs to choose from and at that time I will BURNT MY ARRT N CARD, send ashes to all the school recruiters and charlatans, and never speak a good word about the employment lies (according to the gov't this is an up and comming field with great opportunities until 2020, tech's needed desparately). These prevarications are spread to wanton unsuspecting students hoping for a better future. As a counselor greed and lies are at the top of my most dispicable list. Students and school guidance counselors do your job and help these students to find employment in disciplines that have room to grow. in June several hundred more tech's graduate to have their dreams shattered and head to the soup kitchen and unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Yonkers, New York

68 months ago

I've given up...I was laid off in 2007. Never found another full-time job in nuc. I loved my job, it was 10 minutes from home, I was home by 4:00 p.m. and my co-workers were great. I've left the field for good. Still strugling to pay off student loans. I gone into my former career, teaching. It was the right choice for me and now I'm home when my kids are home on vacation. Less money but I am happier and once I get certified I'll make more money. Good luck to everyone. I think it's horrible that new students are entering thinking they will get jobs right away and make over $60,000 to start. It was like that when I started in 2005 but no more...If you have the personality for it go into nursing, again good luck to all my bother and sister nuc med techs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

john in Youngstown, Ohio said: I have been looking hard for a two years, ARRT N bachelors degree in two disciplines. I thought I had good connections throughout the US but I guess not good enough. my search was nationwide anywhere. All the tech's I knew in Georgia went other directions out of the field. My reputaton sells by word of mouth but not in nuclear. graduated no legitimate offers yet. Sent out over 200 resumes past year, did follow up calls and I get the same story; get two years experience and call me back then. A few told me to go volunteer at local hospitals to keep up with my profession and gain experience. Wasted more time doing applicatons and searching for jobs that were advertised, yet not hiring anybody. Out of state only two telephonic interviews and PRN list. RATIO 1:75 1 CALL PER 75 RESUMES SENT OUT.In June I have two RN programs to choose from and at that time I will BURNT MY ARRT N CARD, send ashes to all the school recruiters and charlatans, and never speak a good word about the employment lies (according to the gov't this is an up and comming field with great opportunities until 2020, tech's needed desparately). These prevarications are spread to wanton unsuspecting students hoping for a better future. As a counselor greed and lies are at the top of my most dispicable list. Students and school guidance counselors do your job and help these students to find employment in disciplines that have room to grow. in June several hundred more tech's graduate to have their dreams shattered and head to the soup kitchen and unemployment.

John: I'm sorry this happened to you. I have been a Tech for more than 10 years and if it were not for my connections I would be standing in line at the soup kitchen. I have a FT job but only because I knew someone and was willing to take a pay cut. Several PRN's were there hoping for a FT offer, and I'm sad for them. But I needed a job and my years of experience trumped their lack of experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CNMT in Virginia

68 months ago

I have been looking for a FT nuc med job since last May 2008. I had just finished a travel assignment in California from Sept 07 to Jan 08. I took time in between to retake my ARRT exam and passed it. I am NMTCB(B.S) and ARRT(R). I've been a travel tech for the last six years and work has been non-existent as a traveler. I have over seven years of experience with various gamma cameras. I have not done PET nor do not have CT experience. I have a FL, CA, TX, and a WA state licenses and am willing to relocate to any state for work. But I am sure that you all know that no one is hiring out of state. I have sent resumes almost daily but have only filled out one application (from CA) but did not have an interview. And have been contacted twice by phone from Tx and in northern Va. In my area where I live, nucmed techs are so super saturated with them. I believe the 08 class, only one has been hired/ the rest are PRN or nothing. It is so bad here that there are hardly any xray jobs. I love nuc med but it seems everyone wants to get into nucmed to make a quick buck! or use it to get a Master's in something which defeats the purpose of nuc med. I urge anyone who is thinking of going into nucmed NOT to continue. There are no jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Lincoln, Rhode Island

68 months ago

I too was laid off in 2007 and found a job for just one day a week in nuclear cardiology for 2008, but they actually closed down at the year's end. I have 24 years of experience and an AS degree, CNMT and RTN, but there's nothing local. There are jobs if I wanted a big commute but with a family it's not worth it. I considered going back to school for MRI or CT but those jobs are nonexistent as well. I've gone back to school for a medical coding certificate-at least there are job listings for that. Local NM schools are still pushing out students. They haven't done their homework!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CHANGEPROFESSIONS in Toledo, Ohio

68 months ago

If you think you will find work in NM you are in for a rude awakening.

These schools are putting out students left and right and are not telling them that in order to find a job you have to relocate.

Good luck finding work, tech stay in those positons for 20 some years.

Change direction and look for something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Was looking at nuk med in Vermillion, South Dakota

68 months ago

I appreciate all of the useful info. posted here. I strongly considered going into nuk med, but after reading this site, I might go a different direction. One thing that I have to say is that the school that I was looking at attending, did say that the nuk med job market is tough and that I would have to relocate. They were upfront about that before stepping a foot into class. Another thing that I have noticed is that if all schools are telling students that they will have to relocate to find jobs, then in reality there is nothing to relocate to. good luck to all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LaurieV in Woodbridge, Virginia

68 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I've got over 5 years of experience in NM. Got Bachelors and have been looking for another, friendlier employer for over 1 year now, FT only. Got PET/CT experience as well. Willing to relocated, but only in certain states and areas. Have had 2 interviews out of state, but no luck to get a concrete offer so far. Total had 7 interviews, one offer fell through. One I am still negotiating and getting arrangements. I've sent out close to 30 resumes in the last 1 year. Now tell me that I am not marketable!???

Hi Saly,
We are currently bidding on a proposal for 2 nuclear med techs in the Fayetteville area. Position would be contingent upon award. Would you like to send me your resume? My email address is lvibberts@tcassociates.com. Thank you, Laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

LaurieV in Woodbridge, Virginia

68 months ago

CNMT in Virginia said: I have been looking for a FT nuc med job since last May 2008. I had just finished a travel assignment in California from Sept 07 to Jan 08. I took time in between to retake my ARRT exam and passed it. I am NMTCB(B.S) and ARRT(R). I've been a travel tech for the last six years and work has been non-existent as a traveler. I have over seven years of experience with various gamma cameras. I have not done PET nor do not have CT experience. I have a FL, CA, TX, and a WA state licenses and am willing to relocate to any state for work. But I am sure that you all know that no one is hiring out of state. I have sent resumes almost daily but have only filled out one application (from CA) but did not have an interview. And have been contacted twice by phone from Tx and in northern Va. In my area where I live, nucmed techs are so super saturated with them. I believe the 08 class, only one has been hired/ the rest are PRN or nothing. It is so bad here that there are hardly any xray jobs. I love nuc med but it seems everyone wants to get into nucmed to make a quick buck! or use it to get a Master's in something which defeats the purpose of nuc med. I urge anyone who is thinking of going into nucmed NOT to continue. There are no jobs!

Hi CNMT in Virginia,
We are currently bidding on a proposal for 2 nuclear med techs in the Fayetteville area. Position would be contingent upon award. Would you like to send me your resume? My email address is lvibberts@tcassociates.com. Thank you. Laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deb_conn in Clarksville, Tennessee

68 months ago

Hi I am recent graduate from Vanderbilt University Nuclear Medicine program. I have been looking for Nuc job for almost 5 months now with no luck. I have not even been scheleduled for an interview. I have BS as well. I have probably put in 60 to 70 applications in and out of state. Student loans will be due here in about a month and now I am not sure what I am going to do. I love health care and patient care in general so maybe nursing????? I would not recommend Nuc med to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

deb_conn in Clarksville, Tennessee

68 months ago

Oh yeah i have experience in PET/CT and I am CNMT. You would think coming from one of the top medical Schools in the nation I would be marketable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Yonkers, New York

68 months ago

I was recently looking into getting a BS in nuc med field. The experiences shared here may save me a lot of trouble, money and heartache in the future. At the very least gives me another angle look at. I will continue to do some more of my own research before making a decision to abandon this field all together. What would be an alternate career path or course of study would you recommend to someone that was attracted to nuc med as you were?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

68 months ago

Folks, it is nice that you would like to share your thoughts on the NMT job field at present, but I really wanted to have this discussion only for facts, rather than just a discussion topic. Please try to give facts in reference to the few points noted at the 1st post, rather than discussing the current NMT job market. ;) Let the facts speak louder, than anything else...

LaurieV in Woodbridge, Virginia, thank you for the invitation to send you my resume. I went to your company web site, and was not able to find information in regards to nuclear medicine services. I will follow up with you soon. I am in negotiation now with a prospect employer... Once again, thank you for the invitation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

I have been Nuc Tech for 8 years now. There are no jobs and hospitals are beginning to lay off or cut hours due to the economy. If you get laid off you will not find anything beyond the PRN status in Ohio. I do not recommend anyone to go into this field currently. The schools are flooding the market!! I love my job. Try radiology then train in MRI or try ultrasound. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Youngstown, Ohio

68 months ago

Yes a sad state of affairs I spoke with my friends in atlanta and they too are talking about cutbacks due to lack of clients and push for other modalities. The only work that seems left has become left is prn and that has now become highly competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jfoster in Nashville, Tennessee

67 months ago

deb_conn in Clarksville, Tennessee said: Hi I am recent graduate from Vanderbilt University Nuclear Medicine program. I have been looking for Nuc job for almost 5 months now with no luck. I have not even been scheleduled for an interview. I have BS as well. I have probably put in 60 to 70 applications in and out of state. Student loans will be due here in about a month and now I am not sure what I am going to do. I love health care and patient care in general so maybe nursing????? I would not recommend Nuc med to anyone.

Sumner Regional in Gallatin just posted a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

grober in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Folks,
I blame the Nuclear Medicine Tech schools and the societies for encouraging students when everyone knew there was no jobs. They all make money off of the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ThomasK in Clearwater, Florida

67 months ago

The job market here in Florida is dismal at best. I graduated in 08 and have been looking for a job for seven months now. I have worked in healthcare for ten years, and continue to go to school for my bachelor's degree. Tampa bay has two major schools that crank out new techs (one is a diploma mill).
I have sent out over 100 resumes and interviewed five times.
My dilemma is this- there are tons of NMT's with more experience then me to take the full time positions, and all of the PRN people want a tech with experience. I will not relocate for a PRN or per diem job, so I am stuck. I have had several employers from out of state tell me that they don't want to wait for me to get a state license ( I have my NMTCB and FL CNMT) when there are local techs looking for jobs that are not a "risk".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Hickory, North Carolina

67 months ago

I graduated with a Nuc. Med degree in 2006 and am both ARRT(N) and NMTCB. I had problems finding work in the field at first and went back to my old field (manufacturing) for a couple of years. I was laid off again in this field in June 2008 and started looking in earnest for a Technologist position. I have pretty good connections plus other background (Bachelor's and Master's). I got a few phone calls and interviews. I finally got a PRN position at a great cardiologist office and thought I would be OK, but their business has now declined so much I haven't been called in for several months now. Fortunately, I have found something else to do that pays no where near what I might earn as a Nuc. Med. Tech, but at least I've got a job. I keep my credentials up and keep in contact with the cardiologist office hoping that eventually things might turn around. I've thought about CT certification, but there is no way I would give up what I have right now in the hopes of landing a position after I added another certification. There are too many students graduating at this time. Diagnostic procedures require most patients to be covered by insurance to pay for the procedures. If patients get layed off from their jobs, they have no insurance (or at least much reduced insurance). Hence, the potential pool of patients who can afford the procedures is shrinking at this time while the number of students is increasing. This is not good for the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Said Day in Colorado Springs, Colorado

67 months ago

I have been looking for a job going on 9 months, will take just about any type of job, have over 13 years of experience, ARRT (N) NMTCB, NMTCB (NCT), I am willing to relocate, Sent out about 95 resume, 22 response 2 interviews, the response range from the job is on hold, we use students to cross train, to not willing to wait for state license. Funny thing is I am well aware of hospitals and Dr offices using non certified tech. to perform the jobs. Why do we have scools and certifidation boards. By the way studied two years in Echosonography as well and do not consider working in the field because I am not ARDMS certified the patient is paying for a service

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Homosassa, Florida

66 months ago

ThomasK in Clearwater, Florida said: The job market here in Florida is dismal at best. I graduated in 08 and have been looking for a job for seven months now. I have worked in healthcare for ten years, and continue to go to school for my bachelor's degree. Tampa bay has two major schools that crank out new techs (one is a diploma mill).
I have sent out over 100 resumes and interviewed five times.
My dilemma is this- there are tons of NMT's with more experience then me to take the full time positions, and all of the PRN people want a tech with experience. I will not relocate for a PRN or per diem job, so I am stuck. I have had several employers from out of state tell me that they don't want to wait for me to get a state license ( I have my NMTCB and FL CNMT) when there are local techs looking for jobs that are not a "risk".

Thomas,

Just curous, what is the school that gives out diplomas in nuclear medicine? I know HCC has a program. I was considering theirs until I heard how difficult it is to find a job. I am now looking into radiology or sonography. Any thoughts on which field has more openings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

old dogg in Jacksonville, Florida

66 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: I have been a NMT for more than 10 years. I was laid-off last June, it took me 6 weeks to find a PRN job and 6 months to go FT. The only reason I was interviewed is because I knew someone. I probably sent out 20 resumes during the time I was laid-off and got NOT one interview! I'm RT(N) with PET. I also have a B.S. I would have relocated for the right job, however not a PRN position.

well, it is nice that you eventually found a full-time job...too bad it took six months. I am in the same position now...I was just laid-off two weeks ago...it was due to "over-staffing". I'm sure the economy also had something to do with it. they laid-off other techs also. I have also sent out a ton of resumes in several states... but all the ads are for PRN jobs...it's a sad time for nuclear med techs. thanks to everyone for sharing info on this forum... Gary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fefe2000 in Lewisville, Texas

65 months ago

I was laid off earlier this month. I have over 9 yrs experience as licensed NMT and I have a Bachelor's degree. I am looking for full-time employment. I have 3yrs experience as RSO (multi-modalities) and 4mons of PET experience. I have my CNMT and CPR current. And I have my MRT license required for the state of Texas to practice. I hope things turn around really soon for us all. I am currently working PRN. Seeking full-time job anywhere. Please let me know if there's something out there. Thanx in advance. Fefe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

s in Lititz, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

i think its crappy, im a student and my clinical site doesnt even have enough techs to legally operate the camera's.....i scan patients all the time by myself...its good experience...but i suspect highly illegal....the hospital refuses to hire new staff even though they are extremely understaffed almost everywhere... the medical field is so much more a buisness then i thought when i started school 4 years ago...all the techs say they would love to hire me after i graduate, but the hospital likes to understaff to cut costs......shame

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Castle Rock, Colorado

64 months ago

Hi, fellow NMTs.I have a BS degree with my ARRT N. I have approx 20 years radiology imaging experience. I can not even find a PRN NMT job in Colorado. No job interviews. No calls. What has happened? I feel that Nuclear Medicine will never be the same. The recent worldwide shortage has put a dagger into the small hospital setting. I know techs who are fearful they be laid off this summer..if the nuclear reactors cannot get back online. Fulltime people are being cut to parttime. Also CT has taken most of the V?Q lung scans. I am considering other educational plans to get work.
Good luck to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fefe2000 in Irving, Texas

64 months ago

I recently spoke with a recruiter and was informed that the facilities are drastically trying to cut back financially. To do this, they are phasing the older techs out for the newer techs and new grads to save money. It is driving the pay down making it harder to obtain full time employment. I will probably have to relocate from Texas; however, most facilities will not invest in relocation costs. There are also at least 12 states that are not even using licensed techs to do nuclear medicine. We just had an occurrence here like that. So, there are many factors contributing to this situation. I have started calling my university, physicist, and old vendors to check for possible leads. I have also started looking into federal employment as well. It is very time consuming to apply; but, it may be worth it in the long run. Stay strong my fellow job hunting techs.......they need us!!! Bless you all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ahyppoli in Elmont, New York

64 months ago

Nuclear med is dead.We as techs are supposed to alert the prospective students
to stay away from this field .It is very sad to see so many techs out there
with more than 15 years of experience without a job.
I am considering getting out of this nightmare field also.
Good luck to you all.
May God bless you all/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Saint Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

I have been in Nuclear Medicine 30 years. I have been a teacher, department manager, sales rep, and RSO. I worked for HCA, with an incompetent tech who had an inappropriate relationship with the supervisor. It was HELL. I stuck it out for two years, but after he had 4 misadminstrations in 2 weeks, all unreported, they threatened my job if I reported them. Talk about between a rock and a hard place! Now, when anyone calls there, they tell a bunch of LIES about me. My annual reviews, however, are spotless. I need a job! I am single, and out of money. If anyone knows of ANYTHING, email me at pwilliamsgirl@gmail.com. I am so depressed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Grovetown, Georgia

64 months ago

Wow!! I work for Cardinal Health at our local nuke pharmacy, and deliver doses to our local hospitals. We have several students come through our office since we are located within the local medical college campus, and thought this may be a good field to get into. After reading the comments here and seeing that the market is just saturated with techs Im either going to keep going with Cardinal or try to get on at a nuke power plant in operations. I know many of you are med tech graduates, but maybe some may consider the nuclear energy field. They are about to go through a major hire industy wide as new reactors are being built and most of the work force is ready to retire.

Sorry Saly I went off on this little tangent, but I couldnt help feel the dispair in each of these posts over the lack of jobs out there. I would like to know what the current average age is for Med Techs out there right now? At Cardinal we are being told that the wave of the future is PET, is this true? I see job postings all over the net, but are they just not hiring and keeping a file of resumes for future use?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Aurora, Colorado

64 months ago

Hi Folks,

I am sorry that some people do not want to hear the truth. But I have a few friends in the rocky mt area in Nuc Med that are now looking at possible unemployment. No Mo99 generators and nuclear plants down for repair this summer will make it worse. Managers will not keep the techs busy in other areas of the hospital. PET will be around for awhile...but the smaller hospitals generally cannot afford the cost. What will happen to Nuc Med....prob will scale down to a small field in radiology with limited jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mmichele in Grand Rapids, Michigan

64 months ago

I've read all of the comments in finding jobs in the Nuc Med field, it's so scary and i'm beginning to get so nervous. I've graduated in May and ever since i've sent out tons of resumes to hospitals, even for PRN positions and i'm willing to relocate to anywhere in the US. Still haven't gotten a possible interview or anything of that sort.

I am certified in my state, which is michigan and i'm willing to get a certain state's certification if a job comes my way.

Could someone tell me about the intervewing process? How is it so maybe who knows i might use it one day!

Thanks to all who spoke up about the Nuc Med market!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Saint Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

I suggest getting crosstrained in ultrasound. There are too many Nuc schools and they have ruined the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

New grad in Virginia Beach, Virginia

64 months ago

I graduated about 4 weeks ago with my BS and have passed my NMTCB registry exam. I have since had 3 interviews with one falling through . I have not heard back from the other two positions but even those are PRN positions. Follow ups have been the same for each place, stating they are still interviewing potential candidates.

I feel I went to a good program and hope to find a job soon. I am willing to move but only for a full time position, otherwise I wouldn't be able to support myself. but for the most part the majority of positions that are out of state are PRN/per diem only.

I have been on monster.com, career builders and indeed sending out resumes on a regular basis. But I usually get the same generic email response back a few days later stating that they found a better candidate.

It's been a little frustrating so far, I have no experience other then clinical and most if not all positions are asking for a minimum of 2 years.

Good Luck to all and I'm continuing the HUNT =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

New grad in Virginia Beach, Virginia

64 months ago

mmichele in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I've read all of the comments in finding jobs in the Nuc Med field, it's so scary and i'm beginning to get so nervous. I've graduated in May and ever since i've sent out tons of resumes to hospitals, even for PRN positions and i'm willing to relocate to anywhere in the US. Still haven't gotten a possible interview or anything of that sort.

I am certified in my state, which is michigan and i'm willing to get a certain state's certification if a job comes my way.

Could someone tell me about the intervewing process? How is it so maybe who knows i might use it one day!

Thanks to all who spoke up about the Nuc Med market!

Well the interviews weren't too bad. i was a little nervous but after the second one it was the same.

If you're going to an out of state interview, typically you get a phone interview 1st. If they like what they hear they schedule you for a face to face interview. fortunately my interview was only 4 hours away.

During the interview you usually meet the chief technologist then someone from human resources. They ask you the pertinent questions to the field and why you would choose their hospital. I would research the hospital before the interview and prepare some pertinent questions to ask during the interview. The interview usually ends with a tour of the facilities and an introduction to the other techs and then you're off. I suggest sending a thank you email to the interviewers, not only for courtesy but also to keep you fresh in their minds =)

I've only been on 3 interviews so if anyone else can chime in that would be great! i hope that helps you some and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alan

64 months ago

Has anyone been to the SNM annual meeting? Any discussion on student enrollments or the current job opening situation? Good luck new graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fefe2000 in Irving, Texas

64 months ago

I attended the SW Chapter meeting in Houston this year. The speaker was only addressing the CARE bill, bachelor degree requirement, and meeting with governing members from other countries to discuss similiarities of care for patients.

The CARE bill; if signed, is supposed to require facilities only use licensed nuclear techs. There are about 12 states that use non licensed personnel to do nuclear medicine imaging. We have facilities here that do it too.

There was no information presented regarding lowering student enrollment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mmichele in Grand Rapids, Michigan

64 months ago

New grad in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: Well the interviews weren't too bad. i was a little nervous but after the second one it was the same.

If you're going to an out of state interview, typically you get a phone interview 1st. If they like what they hear they schedule you for a face to face interview. fortunately my interview was only 4 hours away.

During the interview you usually meet the chief technologist then someone from human resources. They ask you the pertinent questions to the field and why you would choose their hospital. I would research the hospital before the interview and prepare some pertinent questions to ask during the interview. The interview usually ends with a tour of the facilities and an introduction to the other techs and then you're off. I suggest sending a thank you email to the interviewers, not only for courtesy but also to keep you fresh in their minds =)

I've only been on 3 interviews so if anyone else can chime in that would be great! i hope that helps you some and good luck!

thank you for your help in the interviewing process it did help me a lot. I probably will do research of that hospital before going for an interview, if i do get a call from any of the places i've applied to :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New grad in Virginia Beach, Virginia

64 months ago

mmichele in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: thank you for your help in the interviewing process it did help me a lot. I probably will do research of that hospital before going for an interview, if i do get a call from any of the places i've applied to :-(

I feel you, Keep your head up though. I know things are tough now. Of the 12 that graduated in my class only 1 got a job and that was a PRN position. But quite a few of us actually got interviews. So you never know. I would have someone review your resume/cv as well. Sometimes it helps to have another perspective. Good luck with your hunt. And please post again when you do get a job =) Good news would be nice for a change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New grad in Virginia Beach, Virginia

64 months ago

What about jobs out of the country? Does anyone have any idea how to go about looking for positions in places such as Australia or Europe?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Saint Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

I have attended countless SNM annual meetings. There is usually a job board posted somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alan

64 months ago

The nuclear power plant in Netherlands will be down for 4 weeks beginning in JUly..maybe longer. My Mallinckrodt sales rep just informed me that there will be little chance of TC isotope availability. Yes there may be a job posted somewhere...however...my manager has said no isotope no work...which means cut wages and more bad news for techs.
Paula, the point is that there are not enogh jobs for the new grads...hundreds graduating each year. SNM must address this now. As well as the current isotope shortage..which is global

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith

64 months ago

Been a stressful summer with the isotope shortage. There are some small NUc Med depts in MT and Alaska that now shut down. Maybe the bigger hosptitals can ride this valley for Nuc Med. Good luck everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah...Salt Lake, UT

64 months ago

Hi,

There are some PRN jobs around...maybe work parttime and work another job. Hang in there...ride the storm out and see what happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Saint Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

I have emailed and called the SNM many times, have you? I have 30 years invested in this profession. What am I supposed to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ALAN

64 months ago

I also have over 27 years invested in the Nuc Med field. This will be a difficult summer if another reactor goes down as planned. Maybe write the president of SNM and ask if there is a delegation to prevent this to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary

64 months ago

SNM did make a little statement in "Uptake" (I think) .
It was something to the effect of (sorry I can't quote it directly): This is a democratic society and we can't prevent schools from operating. Doesn't anyone recall the early 90's when there was a serious technologist shortage and we were getting calls daily from recruiters? That's why so many schools opened up. After 24 great years in nuc med, but 3 layoffs in a row, I have changed careers (to medical coding-I just passed the CPC exam!) No, the money is not the same but I am not getting exposed. I'll keep up my credentials in case nucs comes back again but everyone should take this time to reevaulate and reeducate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.