Nuclear Medicine Technologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Jim in Big Rapids, Michigan

28 months ago

I am going to be graduating with a B.S. in Nuc Med soon. From what I have been reading is that there are no jobs to be had in the field. I am looking to either go into medical dosimetrist or a PA program. I'm not too sure what the outlook for dosimetry is hoping to hear some input on the profession. I know that there are readily available jobs as a PA. Or what could be some other careers to head toward with my degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Thornhill, Ontario

28 months ago

Jim,

I would highly recommend PA over dosimetry. PA's are in high demand as hospitals and clinics would prefer to replace as many doctors with PAs to cut back on cost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida

28 months ago

@Jim,

Dosimetry/Radiation Therapy is a small profession and just like Nuc Med has a low turnover, too many schools, and very few openings each year. Honestly I don't think its worth the risk to spend more time and money on a "big maybe" for Dosimetry right now. Too bad cause Rad Therapy is a pretty good job, nice hrs/salary, little or no on-call, but again same as Nuc Med, few openings anually.,

PA offers a much better outlook, although be careful to check the entrance requirements (pre reqs) for PA, from what I know most of the programs are extremely difficult to enter. A Nuc Tech I worked with tried to get in a PA school, she said it was really tough.
Some laid-off Nuc Techs I know have gone back to school for Medical Lab Technology(ASCP)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.