Nuclear Medicine Technologist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

111 months ago

The market for NMT's is non-existent. How many students have not been able to find jobs? How many out of work Tech's are there? This is a serious situation and the SNM has offered NO help. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get the Tech's together. It's time to close the 2 year schools, the profession is being ruined by the over saturation of Technologist's. How do you warn potential students? If anyone has any ideas please post.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

azbah in Irvine, California

111 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: The market for NMT's is non-existent. How many students have not been able to find jobs? How many out of work Tech's are there? This is a serious situation and the SNM has offered NO help. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get the Tech's together. It's time to close the 2 year schools, the profession is being ruined by the over saturation of Technologist's. How do you warn potential students? If anyone has any ideas please post.

Actually CA schools are one year only if you have BS so I guess thats even worst..

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

111 months ago

azbah in Irvine, California said: Actually CA schools are one year only if you have BS so I guess thats even worst..

I'm not an advocate of the certificate program. One year is not long enough to learn what you need to know. We don't have any certicate programs where I am. You need to research your state. I looked at a few jobs in CA and they were asking for experience too. Hopefully you will get hired at on of your clinical sites.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Gastonia, North Carolina

111 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: I'm not an advocate of the certificate program. One year is not long enough to learn what you need to know. We don't have any certicate programs where I am. You need to research your state. I looked at a few jobs in CA and they were asking for experience too. Hopefully you will get hired at on of your clinical sites.

You are funny... There is no really a way to get in touch with all of those students. But even if you talk to them, they still think that they will be the lucky one to get a job... I've talked to couple to be students this year in NM, and their instructors talked to them, telling them that it is hard to find a job once they graduate, but they do not listen. They think that they will get that dream job that will pay them tons of $$$ and that is the only thing in their heads. Just look at all those posts here from to be NMT students. It does not matter what you tell them, they will not listen to you. I no longer feel sorry for them, cause if they are not listening when we are talking, one or two years from now, they are those that will be crying...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

111 months ago

Saly in Gastonia, North Carolina said: You are funny... There is no really a way to get in touch with all of those students. But even if you talk to them, they still think that they will be the lucky one to get a job... I've talked to couple to be students this year in NM, and their instructors talked to them, telling them that it is hard to find a job once they graduate, but they do not listen. They think that they will get that dream job that will pay them tons of $$$ and that is the only thing in their heads. Just look at all those posts here from to be NMT students. It does not matter what you tell them, they will not listen to you. I no longer feel sorry for them, cause if they are not listening when we are talking, one or two years from now, they are those that will be crying...

Well I thought I would at least try. There is nothing out there to let students know the job market is non-existent. The teacher here tells students the job market is fair. How is NO jobs fair? I figure if 1 student reads this, shows his class mates, maybe just maybe they will research the hospital websites and figure it out. Eventually the school will close and to me thats what needs to happen.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

110 months ago

Wendy Schreter in Richardson, Texas said: The job market is terrible for nuclear medicine and PET/CT jobs..The schools are pumping out too many students and experienced people like me don't have a chance as I need much more money than a starting student would ask for..It is sad as I have 18+ years of experience. I will now have to find a career that doesn't involve what I went to school for..Maybe I will sell cars....

Wendy were you laid-off? I'd like to find a new career as well....just don't know what at this point. I keep hoping the market will improve and a FT job will come up. It's getting depressing.....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

aczynski in Downers Grove, Illinois

110 months ago

I am a student just beginning a nuclear medicine certification program. I am sort of getting freaked out about the job situation because of what I am reading on these forums. I just started so I guess it would not be too late for me to get out, but it is only a year long and I can always go to another modality like ultrasound. I guess I was looking for opinions on what I should do. Is it really that bad. I mean will I be able to find a job in like 2-3 years? Or am I going to be doing PRN jobs for a long time?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

110 months ago

aczynski in Downers Grove, Illinois said: I am a student just beginning a nuclear medicine certification program. I am sort of getting freaked out about the job situation because of what I am reading on these forums. I just started so I guess it would not be too late for me to get out, but it is only a year long and I can always go to another modality like ultrasound. I guess I was looking for opinions on what I should do. Is it really that bad. I mean will I be able to find a job in like 2-3 years? Or am I going to be doing PRN jobs for a long time?

There are NO jobs in Nuclear Medicine, I would switch to ultrasound if I were you. With no experience your not likely to even find a PRN job. Most hospitals want experience. Search the ads yourself and you'll see there is nothing out there for an NMT, especially with no experience.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

aczynski in Downers Grove, Illinois

110 months ago

I need to finish the Nuclear Medicine program before I apply for the ultrasound program. I was also looking at radiation therapy, but heard that was oversaturated as well. Either way I need to be certified by either ARRT or NMTCB before entering those programs. Maybe I should just pursue nursing?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

110 months ago

aczynski in Downers Grove, Illinois said: I need to finish the Nuclear Medicine program before I apply for the ultrasound program. I was also looking at radiation therapy, but heard that was oversaturated as well. Either way I need to be certified by either ARRT or NMTCB before entering those programs. Maybe I should just pursue nursing?

If you want to be guaranteed employment....nursing is definitely the way to go.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York

108 months ago

aczynski in Downers Grove, Illinois said: I need to finish the Nuclear Medicine program before I apply for the ultrasound program. I was also looking at radiation therapy, but heard that was oversaturated as well. Either way I need to be certified by either ARRT or NMTCB before entering those programs. Maybe I should just pursue nursing?

very simple... type in nuc med tech on any search engine and then type in nursing. compare the numbers. i'm not being mean, i'm just kicking myself in the u know what for not listening to this advice ten years ago....

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

aczynski in Downers Grove, Illinois

108 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: If you want to be guaranteed employment....nursing is definitely the way to go.

Nursing may be the way to go in terms of getting a job, however, not everyone is cut out to be a nurse. There is a huge difference between being a nurse and being in any kind of diagnostic imaging modality. So, while being a nurse sounds great because you will most definitely have a job when you finish school, it could turn out to be bad because if you are unhappy being a nurse you will quit anyway. This is also the reason there is such a high burnout rate in nursing. People, especially individuals that are not already in healthcare, go into nursing just because there are a mass amount of jobs and in the end they hate it. Thus, just because you are guranteed a job when you graduate does not mean you should do it.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

sb in Wickliffe, Ohio

106 months ago

it is very diffucult to find a nuclear med tech position . it took me 4 months to get a job. there are way too many schools out there and they are accepting way too many students.

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: The market for NMT's is non-existent. How many students have not been able to find jobs? How many out of work Tech's are there? This is a serious situation and the SNM has offered NO help. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to get the Tech's together. It's time to close the 2 year schools, the profession is being ruined by the over saturation of Technologist's. How do you warn potential students? If anyone has any ideas please post.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

105 months ago

sb in Wickliffe, Ohio said: it is very diffucult to find a nuclear med tech position . it took me 4 months to get a job. there are way too many schools out there and they are accepting way too many students.

Not to sound pessimistic, but the situation will most likely not get any better any time soon. I doubt schools will close. The mandatory 4 years degree is no where to be seen either.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

abc123 in Floyds Knobs, Indiana

105 months ago

I graduated from a nuc med program in May and got a PRN job in June. And I interviewed for three other (PRN) jobs before that. But half of my graduating class is still not employed seven months after graduation. And a full-time job is nowhere to be seen. I think because the job market is so screwed up, there is no turnover, no one moving or anything. We have tons of techs in the city who have been at there facilities for 20+ years. Maybe when (and if) these people retire the market will open back up. But it's sure gonna be a long wait!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

thatchickinpa in State College, Pennsylvania

105 months ago

I see a lot of suggestions that students should go into nursing. However, here is a warning ... 12 years ago my friend originally was going to be a nurse, and the market at the time for nurses was just horrible (in Pennsylvania anyway). So she went into NM instead. Now the tables have turned.

Be wary that everyone will get the same idea and go into nursing, and then there may be a glut of nursing talent on the market upon graduation. It can happen as just 5 years ago NMTs were in high demand.

So for those of you looking to begin a new career, or change careers, do not decide on a course of study from ONLY what is stated on a board or by what you are told by a college ...

Do as much fact checking as possible ... talk to people in your chosen profession at local facilities and talk to several if possible. They are usually more than happy to talk to you. Ask them things like what they do, how secure they feel the job market is now and in the future, if the profession has experienced downturns and what the situation was like, is there opportunity for advancement and what positions do they advance to? Do you need more formal education or particular experience for advancement? Are they thinking of changing careers? Etc. You can probably think of other questions.

Look at current opportunities. Are there plenty of vacancies? Are they full time or part time? Be concerned if there are too few OR too many! A field that is "hot" will attract a lot of candidates and may become flooded with new graduates in 2-4 years.

There is more, and if you brainstorm, I'm sure you can think of additional items.

And if you are taking out student loans, do a budget for post-graduation WORST case. You graduate and can't find work. Assume that you can get a job for minimum wage or a few bucks above or whatever you made before or during school (if you are a returning adult). Can you pay basic living expenses AND pay a student loan payment?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

svice in Greenfield, Indiana

102 months ago

The only FT position opening in two years in Central Indiana was filled at Methodist Hospital in April 09. They had an online opening that was so hidden that unless you were aware of it you would not find it. The management accepted 15 online applications and interviewed three. I believe I was beat out by a student over wages. IU and BSU turns out an average of 17 students every year. What a saturation! The certification schools are a money-making scheme at college with no regard to current market conditions or after-school placement.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

verynewbie in Riverview, Florida

101 months ago

Is there anyone in the Tampa FL area suffering with the NM's job market? Please let me know. I haven't started a program yet but ready now, and I'm looking at NM, RN, or Ultrasound. At this point I'm starting to say forget all, save my time and money, and perhaps find an academic counselor position!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mariedunn in Houston, Texas

101 months ago

verynewbie in Riverview, Florida said: Is there anyone in the Tampa FL area suffering with the NM's job market? Please let me know. I haven't started a program yet but ready now, and I'm looking at NM, RN, or Ultrasound. At this point I'm starting to say forget all, save my time and money, and perhaps find an academic counselor position!

RN would be your best bet...I mean if being employed is your ultimate goal!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

changes in Warwick, Rhode Island

101 months ago

have any of you made a change into the medical field, NM in this case, from a non medical profession? i'm looking to get out of what i'm doing and go into the medical field, the diagnostic imaging field was the area I was looking into.

I agree with the burnout comment on nursing, yes its in high demand, yet it seems to be a burnout job, I have a brother going to school to get out of nursing....reason being nursing just wore him down.

anybody have thoughts on the radiologic technology field ( the Xray, MRI, CT area )and any saturation issue there ? I know its lower paying than NM.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

changes in Warwick, Rhode Island

101 months ago

Is one more marketable in the diagnostic imaging field if you can do a variety of procedures versus only one?

What do you look to be earning starting out in the field of NMT?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Yikes in Winter Haven, Florida

101 months ago

verynewbie in Riverview, Florida said: Is there anyone in the Tampa FL area suffering with the NM's job market? Please let me know. I haven't started a program yet but ready now, and I'm looking at NM, RN, or Ultrasound. At this point I'm starting to say forget all, save my time and money, and perhaps find an academic counselor position!

I am currently in a NM program. I will say that the program itself is weeding half the student away but I am scared that I will not find a job after graduation in the central fl area.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pinkierose in Corpus Christi, Texas

101 months ago

well this topic does scare me as i just got certified through a TWO YEAR program. i was aware the job market was limited but i also knew getting into the program that i had to be FLEXIBLE...meaning if i had to move to start my career then that's what i had to do for our family. there are jobs out there..it's a matter of being consitent & submitting apps everywhere no matter if they're hiring or not. by the way, i have a few interviews lined up also. God is good & He is faithful...you just have to have faith & He'll open up doors for you that you didn't even know were there.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

verynewbie in Riverview, Florida

101 months ago

I greatly appreciate your response. I was looking at Keiser University and the the recruiter there are actually forecasting a need in this area. The school is located in the city of Lakeland, abut 1 hour from Tampa. We all try so hard to capture true information, for instance, I express to the career counselor I was skeptical about finding employment in NM. Of course any recruiter is going to say, "Oh well, our college have relationships with the surrounding hospitals and the jobs that are posted in newspapers don't post the jobs that are sent to the school. So, with that I'm still leaning towards what you and I think. lol I'm definitely going to consider the RN program, even though its about a 1 year wait. It might be worth the wait.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hummingbird in Denton, Texas

101 months ago

I actually have a position open for a registered nuclear medicine technologist in the Dallas Ft. Worth area. I expect to fill the position this week or next.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

fefe2000 in Irving, Texas

101 months ago

hummingbird in Denton, Texas said: I actually have a position open for a registered nuclear medicine technologist in the Dallas Ft. Worth area. I expect to fill the position this week or next.

I am a registered nuclear medicine tech in the DFW area looking for a position. Have you filled your position yet?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hummingbird in Denton, Texas

101 months ago

Not yet.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

fefe2000 in Irving, Texas

101 months ago

hummingbird in Denton, Texas said: Not yet.

I would love to apply. I have a Bachelors in Nuclear Medicine and I have been practicing since 2000. I am currently registered with NMTCB, TDH, and CPR.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

hummingbird in Denton, Texas

101 months ago

There is a nuclear medicine company in Denton and most of their positions are filled with long term employees. The company has hired 5 new employees over the past two years. Might give them a shot. This forum prohibits giving names, address, contact information for jobs. HR did not post the job. The company usually fills the positions from word of mouth and conatcting the schools like Baylor and University of Arkansas.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

fefe2000 in Irving, Texas

101 months ago

hummingbird in Denton, Texas said: There is a nuclear medicine company in Denton and most of their positions are filled with long term employees. The company has hired 5 new employees over the past two years. Might give them a shot. This forum prohibits giving names, address, contact information for jobs. HR did not post the job. The company usually fills the positions from word of mouth and conatcting the schools like Baylor and University of Arkansas.

Thank you for getting back to me. I will have to search around for this facility. It seems very interesting. I am in the hunt for long term/full time. This would be great....

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Alan

100 months ago

One of worst fields now to try to fins a job. There is a huge cutback on staff in small hospitals and clinics. Isotopes are now in short supplu and rising in cost everday. I have been a NMT for over 27 years. I can say I am feeling way concerned about my job security. No jobs for the new grads in Colorado. Even PRN status. Educators need to cut back student enrollment.
Good luck everyone.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

janedoeesmith in South Lake Tahoe, California

100 months ago

Alan said: One of worst fields now to try to fins a job. There is a huge cutback on staff in small hospitals and clinics. Isotopes are now in short supplu and rising in cost everday. I have been a NMT for over 27 years. I can say I am feeling way concerned about my job security. No jobs for the new grads in Colorado. Even PRN status. Educators need to cut back student enrollment.
Good luck everyone.

I totally agree now with the tc shortage and it is happening more and mroe often plus thye fact that other modalities are "stealing" the bread and butter of nuc med scans it is becoming harder and harder to get a job keep a job and run a nuc med facility....god willing things get better soon...i am truely blessed to have a job right now

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pinkierose02 in Corpus Christi, Texas

100 months ago

the college i graduated from only accepts 8 students a year and our graduating class of 2009 graduated w/only 6 students. i'm happy to say that i was blessed to have found a job in a hospital 2 weeks after graduation and 1 other student had a job before we even graduated! the job i got was actually posted on the hospital's website but i do agree that word of mouth is the way of hearing about available positions. as soon as i graduated i called the surrounding areas & cities nuclear pharmacy & faxed my resume to several cardiology offices. i googled cardiologists in certain areas & asked to speak w/ the HR dept. fortunately i was offered the current position i hold but i do believe there are jobs out there. have faith & don't give up...& pray about it. i can honestly say that is how this door opened up for me.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

pinkierose02 in Corpus Christi, Texas

100 months ago

verynewbie in Riverview, Florida said: I greatly appreciate your response. I was looking at Keiser University and the the recruiter there are actually forecasting a need in this area. The school is located in the city of Lakeland, abut 1 hour from Tampa. We all try so hard to capture true information, for instance, I express to the career counselor I was skeptical about finding employment in NM. Of course any recruiter is going to say, "Oh well, our college have relationships with the surrounding hospitals and the jobs that are posted in newspapers don't post the jobs that are sent to the school. So, with that I'm still leaning towards what you and I think. lol I'm definitely going to consider the RN program, even though its about a 1 year wait. It might be worth the wait.

that's great! nursing was my major before i got into the NM program & as soon as i got into nursing i got out...it just wasn't for me. NM & nursing are soo different. you have to really want to be a nurse. but nurses are definitely in more demand & always will be. good luck to you & i wish you the best in whatever program you get into!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pinkierose02 in Corpus Christi, Texas

100 months ago

fefe2000 in Irving, Texas said: I am a registered nuclear medicine tech in the DFW area looking for a position. Have you filled your position yet?

there's a PRN opening for an NMT @ Midland Memorial Hospital in Midland, Tx. i grew up there & it's a nice town if you consider moving.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Aurora, Colorado

100 months ago

I totally agree Jane in Tahoe, I feel blessed even to be able to go to work each day in Nuc Med. I am stressed each week...how are we going to get the Mo99 generator to get our patients scheduled this summer. Wil our managers say no more and cut Nuc Med staff to all parttime. When will the cost of the radioisotopes stop skyrocketing? PRN jobs are fine for people who can afford to work parttime. Most need a fulltime job.
I feel the outlook for Nuc Med may be grey for awhile...at least for the next few years.
Lets see if the SNM can address important issues as discussed here. Help solve these issues.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina

100 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Not to sound pessimistic, but the situation will most likely not get any better any time soon. I doubt schools will close. The mandatory 4 years degree is no where to be seen either.

Hey you all. I know of a program that is 2 years and the man that is over the program insists that there are jobs out there-just not in the location you want them-like where it's warm. The waiting list is like 2 years, and they only take 15 people per year. You think that's too many NMT's per year? Maybe the economy is just bad and when it gets better, the overall job situation will get better. I feel like the blame should not be on the new grads anyway. From what the 4 year colleges are saying, they are getting a lot of students who are employees already and being sent back to school to qualify for the jobs rather than take a chance with someone new and have to train them. Nowadays, "training", is never just about the job itself. It is about the culture of the company from the upper officers all the way down to the peons-including all the dirty office politics. They do not want to take chances with people with whom they are unfamiliar-even if it means coming off a few extra dollars to re-train inside employees. In the long run, it's cheaper because of the benefits associated with hiring a new employee. Sometimes, they will get as much wear out of such employees as possible until right before it is time for them to retire, and then they will let them go then. It's sad, but true.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

100 months ago

hummingbird in Denton, Texas said: There is a nuclear medicine company in Denton and most of their positions are filled with long term employees. The company has hired 5 new employees over the past two years. Might give them a shot. This forum prohibits giving names, address, contact information for jobs. HR did not post the job. The company usually fills the positions from word of mouth and conatcting the schools like Baylor and University of Arkansas.

If you know the contact information for any and all NMT jobs, do not worry, you can share it with the rest of us, it is not prohibited...

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

techmay in Denton, Texas

99 months ago

Moved to Texas fresh from collage. Had no problem landing work. Took a couple of months. That was needed just to get rested from the move.
Cross training in diagnostic CT. Would love to entertain offers in the Denton, Plano, Frisco, McKenney area.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Crystal Orr in Dallas, Texas

87 months ago

I am looking for a registered NMT with some PET experience. I need to fill a PET/CT position in the next week or two. Please email me at corr@epluscancercare.com if interested.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.