Please Be Wise

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 229)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

strikefreedom in Richmond Hill, Ontario

54 months ago

jenny,

rad therapy was around 60 in my year and 40 in nuke med. i hear they only allowed 45 rad and 25 nukes in this years entry. Most of my classmates are now looking for jobs in other fields or continuing education..thanks for wasting 3 years of our time and $21,000 michener. In their website, michener is still spreading the lie of nuclear medicine graduates having many opportunities in the business, healthcare, and teaching fields. The only thing we can do without landing ourselves in jail is post the truth on websites such as these so others dont fall into this hole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida

54 months ago

strikefreedom,

In years past nuclear medicine programs typically had between 6-12 students per class and some of the smaller programs had 5 or less. It was very unusual to see programs with more than 20 seats - times have definitely changed.

The college model for nuclear medicine and healthcare career programs is about profit in todays market, not job placement. Colleges seem to have the media their back pocket, a simple word search for nuclear medicine technologist will yeild hundreds of positive articles in regards to employment outlooks. A prospective student researching careers will think they hit the $$$Jackpot$$$ of all professions when they read about NMT's, great salaries, nice working conditions, unlimited growth, etc, etc...

Those of us who work in the profession (or recent grads) know this is a fairy tale. The data being used to support these claims is 7-10 yrs old and obsolete for todays market. The for-profit colleges have seen this as an opportunity to capitalize for the good of them, not the student.

Schools like this Michener you talk about are a dime-a-dozen, until the truth is exposed classrooms will probably remain filled - to the detriment of the profession, salaries, employment, and job security...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Richmond Hill, Ontario

54 months ago

You are absolutely correct. In the good old times, when educational institutions were concerned with learning instead of profit, nuc med classes where usually limited to 10 students. This reflected the reality that nuc med is a very small field compared to rad tech, for example.

What the Michener Institute has done is partly due to protect themselves from negative publicity because they know that unemployed nuc med graduates will come back and haunt them in the backside. Restricting their class size to 25 is too little, too late. You have a glut of nuc med graduates from previous years still applying for jobs and only 4-5 jobs in Ontario available annually. The only way to correct this is to bring down class sizes to less than 10, the way it used to be, before they got greedy and stopped giving a damn about their students.

I feel sorry for all the nuclear medicine and radiation therapy students currently attending Michener because they have no idea what is awaiting them once they graduate. FOLKS, pay attention! There are NO JOBS in NUC MED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

From the Michener website,

The field of nuclear medicine is constantly expanding, creating a great demand for technologists. Nuclear Medicine Technologists are employed in a variety of clinical environments, including community or teaching hospitals, private clinics, research institutes, and public health institutions. Other professional options include:

Supervision/Administration/Management
Sales & Marketing
Research
Education
Government
Technical Specializations (PET)
Radiation Safety

I really believed there would be a lot of job opportunities for nuke med grads when I enrolled in 2008. But now I know that the only place where nuke meds are going to get hired are hospitals and clinics..and thats 5-6 grads per year.

the classes are ridiculously large to support the 6 figure salary slobs of the michener staff.

jenny, have you seen the bulletin containing the 2004 toronto star article saying there were a severe shortage of rad therapists in ontario? dont you think they should have replaced something 7 years ago by now?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

nukegirl in Ajax, Ontario

54 months ago

I've been following these posts for a while as I am a recent grad from the Michener in NucMed. Although I do agree with the common thoughts on there being a definite job shortage in Ontario, I don't think it is completly fair to now blame the Michener after the fact for your being unemployed. While we were all in school we were more than happy to accept the high grades for easy work, and now that you don't have a job you call them out for being a poor institution. Do you not realize that in saying that you are actually degrading your own accomplishments and credentials? Certainly if you were to talk to a prospective employer would you say yeah I studied at the Michener for NucMed but oh yeah that school is "horrible ... with fail professors ... greedy parasites" you kinda sound a little over the top bitter.
I'm not saying that the program doesn't have its flaws and yes the program shouldn't have had such large classes. But if you think about the reason our generation of graduates is struggling so much is related to the after effects of the Chalk over isotope shortage which occurred while we were enrolled in the program (which yes everyone is tried of hearing about) but honestly it really impacted the booking of appointments as doctors simply stopped ordering nuclear tests and CT and MRI took the place of a lot of Nuclear scans and it has yet to rebound.
I have been in touch with the Michener and the professors there are all very helpful and sympathetic and the new classes they are much smaller than ours were, its not a solution for us but I don't think blaming the Michener for your dissapointment 2 years later, it might be time to just let it go? I thnk you have gotten your message out to prospective students. It's frustrating for all of us and don't dismiss "casual" job postings, yes financially these positions are trying, but currently I am working 3 casual PT tech jobs, which scheduling wise can kinda be a struggle but hey I'm working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Thornhill, Ontario

54 months ago

nukegirl, nice try.

From Merriam Webster dictionary:

Definition of FRAUD

a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick

If what the Michener Institute has done and continues to do isn't fraud, then I don't know what is. Strikefreedom posted an example from their website. But, you really want to see it in action, just go to one of the "open houses" at Michener and get a tour of the nuc med program and see how they will brainwash you and make you believe a fairytale.

Michener is the MAIN REASON we are in this situation. They oversold and misrepresented their program and had the audacity to INCREASE their class size to 40, knowing full well that nuc med is and always will be a small field and the vast majority of those graduates would not find employment.

And then you have nukegirl, I don't know if you are really a student of this program, but let's assume you are. You talk about high grades for easy work? This must be a joke for you. First of all, the program was anything but easy, I worked my butt off those 3 years. Second, those grades DO NOT MATTER, no matter how good they may be. What matters is passing the certification exam and finding a job. If Michener had not been so greedy to increase their class sizes and disregard the actual job market, then I and many others would not have such a hard time finding a job, even a casual job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

actually no nukegirl, me and my classmates were all in agreement that Michener was a horrible school even when we were still in it. Unqualified lecturers, poorly designed course materials, and failing to prepare us for clinicals. Really, why the fck do they still have us use single head cameras when no hospitals and clinics use it anymore?! Its a way for them to pass it off as "lecture hours" thats why.

I agree with you on the fact that grades at Michener were easy to get, but like jenny said, we cant use the grades as currency or get jobs in that field now can we?!

and no our job shortage is not all about chalk river. the main problems are the high costs in starting up clinics, ontario's strict regulations regarding radioactivity, and no funding by ontario to cover the costs of nuke med/pet procedures. these are problems that did not arise only in the last 2-3 years. they have been existent for a long time and Michener just chose to ignore these problems and enrol more and more students each year so they can make more profits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MichenerLies in Victoria, British Columbia

54 months ago

Hey guys,

Been a common observer here and I agree with the majority of this thread (no jobs in nuc med). I graduated from Michener with a nuclear medicine diploma a few years ago and never got into the field. As sad as it sounds, I'm pursuing other fields right now...Michener was NO help at all and the whole thing was a gigantic waste of 3-4 years of my life and piles of osap debt...

I e-mailed the Michener institute recently just to check up on class sizes. These are the current sizes:

Nuclear Medicine - 40
Radiological Technology - 40
Radiation Therapy - 50-55

Pretty ridiculous that the radiation therapy class is bigger than the nuc med and rad tech class considering there is WAY less jobs. How does that even make sense anyways? To this day, I'm quite disgusted about ever enrolling in the Michener Institute for Nuclear Medicine and I'm quite embarrassed to tell people I meet that I have an expensive degree that did me NOTHING from there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thank you to everyone for coming out and telling the truth to expose these people. I encourage the rest of you to come out of hiding and let naive students know what they are getting themselves into and hopefully discourage them from enrolling in either the nuc med or radiation therapy program at Michener.

What we need is a collective voice. If everyone puts their embarrassment aside and tells prospective students not to waste 3 precious years of their life and 30k in money for a program that we will leave them jobless in the end, then Michener Institute will HAVE TO reduce their class sizes to reflect the job market. It is absolutely irresponsible and disgusting that they ignore their past graduates. I am especially disgusted by the fail nuc med instructors at Michener who continue to carry out business as usual.

I am currently in talks with an attorney to seek his advice on filing a lawsuit against Michener for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. I will keep you guys updated. I will not these parasites destroy my life and get away with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

joeschmoe in Winnipeg, Manitoba

54 months ago

And people wonder why our country is going down the tubes..the total give me, I'm entitled or "deserve" to get hired, generation like this poster. How has this person made it through life thus far?

I'm filing suit against the planet earth, this person stole the rest of our oxygen...

Education is education and never is supposed to guarantee you anything. Most people are in the same boat...how many poli sci or english grads do you know who are unemployed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

joe those arent professional programs. they are majors that you graduate from and which you can find jobs using the skills you learned there. nuclear medicine is completely different. once you graduate from the field, you can only "use" those skills in nuclear medicine. We are not arguing we are "entitled" to get hired. We are arguing that once we graduate, we should at least have a chance to get employed in the field. 5-6 job openings in all of Ontario last year for the 40 graduates and for the many graduates in previous years does not sound fair to you do you does it? Please stop trolling these forums and provide us with idiotic analogies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stitch in West Des Moines, Iowa

54 months ago

Joe, You are being extraordinarily dishonest here. NOBODY is saying or has said they are "entitled" to any job, so please stop saying that. I'm very sorry to say that I also was caught up in this scam about 5 years ago. My wife, an absolute saint, supported me as I quit my full-time job to enroll in an NMT program. I ended up with only a mountain of debt and only by a miracle of God have we crawled our way back and avoided bankruptcy. As always, as soon as this "school" got thier $$$ they were happy and wanted nothing to do with me. The truth is that for at least the past 5-6 years these NMT programs have been outright scams. Joe, are you in someway connected with these programs? It sounds so much like you are a recruiter for them or perhaps one of thier salesmen who masquerades as a NMT instructor. If anyone is reading this who is considering NMT please please please grab tightly onto your wallet and RUN from people like Joe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

joe in Winnipeg, you are a very ignorant fool. My intuition tells me you are a slimy nuc med professor who is trying to protect his six figure salary at the expense of some poor student. I will not let you derail our discussion by using idiotic analogies and generalized rubbish.

If you had bothered to read the discussion from this thread and from the countless other threads on this board, you would have seen the rampant fraud committed by these "educational" institutions. The fact that you are comparing bachelors of art degrees to a professional program like nuc med shows what a buffoon you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NucMed Guy in Tacoma, Washington

54 months ago

Hey everyone I was just following your post.

Please listen if you are considering Nuclear Medicine, Radation Thearpy, or Diagnostic Imaging for a carrer.

I'm registered in X-Ray (ARRT)(R), Nuc Med (CNMT), and I have a BAS in Radiation and Imaging Sciences. I have been to school for 8 years for imaging alone. I recently have went from full-time to part-time because the large company I work for is trying to make a budget.

I would strongly advise anyone to either go to PA (physcian assistant) school or RN (registered nurse) school. You will have the best prospects of finding a job.

If you have not noticed a lot of health care companies are either merging or selling out. This is due to the Obama Care plan which takes affect 2014. It is a big fish eat little fish system. The biggest fish will win out. Reimbursments are declining and health care insurance companies are keeping a close eye on exams that ordered requiring now for most imaging to be pre-authorized they opportunity for work is going to decrease at a decreasing rate.

I'm well educated on these matter and have been studing them, there is no foreseeable future for a new grad in imaging unless you have family and friends who are well connected at a healthcare facility.

So I urge you to please do research and go into a field which is thriving. Imaging is not that field.

Don't get me wrong I love my job, but I'm scared to death of loosing it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I'm just trying to help everybody here, I wasn't trying to offend at all. Everyone just has to realize that most if not all grads have it tough right now, it's not just them.

I saw an article in the star describing a respiratory therapist who was working at Jack Astors (restaurant) so it's not just the generic bachelor degree people at all.

As for there being no future in imaging, I don't think so. There are lots of jobs in x-ray, ultrasound, and a few in MRI/CT (in Canada at least). The USA is pretty dreary so I can't accurately make a conclusion there though.

Also, nobody should blame the school for their inability to impress HR staff in a job interview. Learn from your mistakes. Go to mock interview sessions and work on improving your interpersonal skills as much as possible. Nukegirl was right, I would be very hesitant to hire anyone who talked about their former alumnus having "fail instructors" and "greedy parasites".

Getting a nuclear medicine job might be tough if your not willing to relocate out of Ontario. There are lots of jobs available in foreign countries like Australia, New Zealand, and the like. A nuclear medicine technologist can earn some pretty big bank there. Ultrasound techs (Sonographers) almost make as much as doctors and dentists in those countries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I don't know who keeps derailing this thread but your clearly wrong and out of touch with reality.

There are NO jobs in this field. It's about as dead end as a door knob. I graduated in 2009 and I can only recall of 5 people who got part time and casual jobs when they graduated. This is a class of 40! how pathetic is that. The ones I have kept in touch with still aren't even working full-time...

It's also even more sad that many of my classmates had degrees and were very educated already. These are NOT lazy people at all...just people who chose a path that goes nowhere in the long haul...

To give those naysayers a dose of reality, I dare you to look at the profiles of the Michener 2010 class on Facebook. I just viewed all 31 of their profiles and NONE of them have any work history at any hospitals posted. Now, I know that not everybody is going to mention their place of employment on Facebook, but I can recount a lot of people who do. What I do see is that many of those people have started to pursue other fields (MBA, pharmacy, etc).

The Michener institute needs to shut down this program. A lot of people are getting financially and personally destroyed by falling for this scam. I can't possibly be more direct than I am right now.

Would some kind of petition help the cause in this? I'd gladly sign it and I'm sure many other people would too.

54 months ago

MichenerLies,

We are way passed the point of signing petitions. The way to deal with these criminals is by hitting them where it hurts, in their pocket books. Folks, remember that Michener is publicly funded, they are not even in the same category as other scam private colleges. This makes them more vulnerable to what I am about to do. I have some good news: my attorney has given the green light on this lawsuit against Michener that I proposed to him. We are now in the process of gathering information that will be used to file the initial court documents. ANYONE WHO HAS ATTENDED OR IS CURRENTLY ATTENDING MICHENER's NUCLEAR MEDICINE PROGRAM, PLEASE CONTACT ME BY E-MAIL: jennynucmed@gmail.com (YOU CAN CONTINUE TO STAY ANNONYMOUS IF YOU WISH).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

jenny,

Its great what you are doing. Michener only communicates in one language, money. I have sent you a email already and I will tell all my classmates about this.

Nuke med students from michener, please spread the word! together we can end michener's reckless enrollment of nuke med students and ruining their lives!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

A nuclear medicine instructor's job is to educate/teach you, not to help you find a job...you guys can't blame your teachers...not only is it unprofessional behaviour, but it's just the wrong way of thinking...

Look, I know the job situation may look bleak but this is how it is for a lot of people right now...have any of you tried the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission? It seems they're hiring skilled people in the areas of radiation safety and such...skills easily gained from any nuclear medicine program.

For those that are hesitant on learning another modality and insist in staying with nuc med...I'd recommend taking a radiation safety type course/certification. This may help you better your odds of getting hired by this government organization. I'm pretty sure the Michener Institute / other colleges offer this. Don't let your knowledge base rot....do something to improve your chances of finding full-time employment..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Joe,
You never said if you are in fact an NMT instructor. No matter how anyone tries to spin this,
any student who enrolls in one of these NMT programs is throwing thier future away and throwing thier life away. The NMT instructors who participate in this fraud know their students will never have a career in this field and likely will never even have a PRN job because NMT jobs simply don't exist. Of course they don't dare tell them that because without new students each year the NMT instructors would lose thier own jobs. If that happens, they know they can't go out and get a job as an NMT so they continue thier evil charade year after year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

joe in Winnipeg,

you are clearly lacking in IQ or do you really think nuc med students are that stupid? Give it up, we know you are a slimy nuc med instructor, it's shinning through. You want to talk about "unprofessional behaviour"? It doesn't get any more unprofessional, unethical and criminal than knowingly perpetrating a fraud. If these nuc med instructors had an ounce of ethics in them they would not be carrying out business as usual, teaching dozens of nuc med students year after year, knowing well that there are fewer than 5 job openings a year in Ontario. And the schools that employ these slime bags are even bigger crooks, they're all about the dough and increasing class sizes.

By the way, I had the foresight to hire a high profile attorney who is an even bigger con artist than these fail instructors. He has more tricks up his sleeves than you can imagine. He's the perfect candidate for this job :) Michener and its instructors are in for the surprise of their life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Jenny,

These nuc med instructors have their place in the world - teaching. If they wanted a nuc med job, they could easily obtain one through their industry contacts, work experience, and connections. It's unfair to place the blame on individuals who tried their best to educate you in your field.

People, quit blaming the external forces in regards to why you don't have a job. Focus on improving what you can control (internal forces). Turn that frown upside down and focus on improving yourself in any way possible (learn to write a good cover letter, go to networking events, get people to review your resume, etc).

Also, the job market might be bad now, but with new technology getting developed right around the corner, more NMT job spots should be opening in the future. Also, many baby boomers will be retiring in the next couple of years spurring up more demand for nuclear medicine technologists.

There was a time when nurses couldn't even find jobs...(this was in the early-late 1990's). Look how high the demand is now! I forecast the same reality with many imaging professionals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Joe..

I'm not sure what you are, instructor?? technologist?? or just a troll stirring the pot for kicks??

Been an NMT since 2001 and have been hearing that "baby boomer" clap-trap bull@#%$ as being the SAVIOR of the healthcare profession far too long - no dice..

Lets be realistic buddy, "turning a frown upside down"..really.. to write improved resumes, coverletters.. does not change the cold harsh reality of the situation right now for NMT's NO REASONABLE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES...PERIOD..END OF STORY...

Stop patronizing everyone on this forum with your *self improvement* ideological psycho babble nonsense - and get real. Stop encouraging folks to pursue careers in nuclear medicine, enough damage has been done already..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Kissimmee, Florida

54 months ago

I graduated from an NMT program in October of 2010 from Keiser. I have been looking for a job since. At the age of 38 that was my only chance at getting a college degree while suporting my kids. With the promise of a better life after earning a degree in NMT my family and I sacrificed everything for 2 years. After all the money I spent, time away from my kids and hardships I only have a diploma hanging on my wall. No job. I will have to pay $65,000 over 25 years and to keep my ARRT & NMTC certifications the cost is about $500 very two years. I am not spending another penny on this dead end. To those considering NMT do your research, there are no jobs. It is almost impossible to find a job even if you are willing to move.

54 months ago

joe,

GET OUT OF THIS THREAD. You are just another slimy troll trying to brainwash naive students. I will not let you succeed.

STUDENTS, PAY ATTENTION! NUC MED INSTRUCTORS, ESPECIALLY THOSE AT MICHENER WILL USE THESE BRAINWASHING TECHNIQUES TO GET YOU TO ENROL:

1. "The baby boomers are retiring and there will be a lot of jobs in healthcare!"
2. "oh, it's bad now, but in a few years things will be booming and there'll be shortages!"
3. "The government is investing money in healthcare and this will mean more nuclear medicine jobs"
4. "95% of our students are employed within 6 months of graduation!" I bet they are: in fast food and minimum wage employment.

Do not fall for them! Remember that I warned you, so any time you hear them say it, you know it's pure BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

hey jenny, you do realize that once you sue michener, you will probably find it even more difficult to find a nuclear medicine job. those guys will spread lies about you to every nuclear med department in canada. just wanted to make sure you understand that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

strikefreedom,

I am fully aware of what these dirt bags are capable of doing. My attorney's sources have told him that Michener will almost certainly settle this outside the courtroom because they do not want the negative publicity (no kidding, these poor students that don't know any better are Michener's bread and butter, they don't want to scare them away).

Thank you to everyone who has contacted me so far. Those of you who have just joined, if you attended the Nuc Med or radiation therapy program at Michener or are currently attending, please contact me by e-mail: jennynucmed@gmail.com
My attorney and I are in the initial stages of filing a lawsuit against Michener for fraud and misrepresentation. We will eventually seek class action status.

54 months ago

Jenny,
Do you mean class action status against Michener only?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

In regards to Radiation Therapy, I have a couple mutuals that I keep in contact with to this day who STILL don't have jobs in this field...why the hell are people still pursuing it? There's probably less jobs in therapy than there are Nuclear Medicine.

Just got a glimpse of this from the Radiation Therapy section of the website:

With new cancer facilities scheduled to open in Ontario in the near future, and a world-wide shortage of Radiation Therapists, many career opportunities exist for Michener graduates. The Radiation Therapy programs provide high quality education with credentials that are widely recognized;

Shortage?? What in god's name are they talking about. Ontario has FAR too many schools producing graduates, and the Michener Institute cranks in over 70 in grads alone!! (This includes UT-Michener and Michener-Laurentian). Why does there need to be 2 classes to begin with?

It's nice to see that somebody is brave enough to go against these sticklers. If you guys continue to not be able to find any job in the field (a pretty common scenario with something as dead end as nuclear these days), what are you going to do? Have any of you planned on going back to school for something else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

MichenerLies,

no kidding, the poor souls in radiation therapy have it worse than us. Can you imagine nearly 60 students in one class at just one school (Michener)? I wish these students would do more research before destroying their future like this. It's so sad to see students being taken advantage of by these heartless instructors and schools. The gibberish they advertise on Michener's website is just propaganda and advertisement to attract naive students. And of course, many fall for it.

As for other options, well we are screwed. The thing about these professional programs is that you are very limited in what you can do with it. Take nuc med, you can only work as a nuc med technologist. So, you pretty much have to go back to school AGAIN in a completely different field. I'm looking into ultrasound right now, it's the only medical imaging field where they are actively hiring.

eliseingreece in Peachtree City, Georgia

53 months ago

Any Nuc Med jobs available in the Saint John New Brunswick area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

eliseingreece in Peachtree City, Georgia

53 months ago

any Nuc Med jobs available in the Saint John, New Brunswick area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

eliseingreece,

Unfortunately, the dismal job market for nuc med is not just restricted to Ontario, but to all of Canada. In fact, the situation is worse for the smaller provinces due to small population and lower demand for nuc med procedures. Of course, you have these filthy schools like the Michener in Toronto, that are graduating 40 nuc med students every year, when they are fewer than 5 job positions available annually in Ontario. And the instructors are fully aware of this, but they continue to do it to protect their own salaries. They have absolutely no morals and will lie through their teeth to get students to enrol in these programs.

The situation is bound to get worse as the economy deteriorates and these greedy schools continue to graduate more students than there are jobs for.

53 months ago

Well, I'm a clinical coordinator in Winnipeg Manitoba and there definitely are jobs open in Nuclear Medicine in Manitoba - difference here is only 3 students from MB each year are sent off to SAIT in Calgary to study the subject, so that probably makes a huge difference as well. Pretty easy to get work, although it might be part-time to start.

I think a lot of naysayers should just be thankful they have some sort of education. Only the top 20% of the Canadian population has a degree of some sort, so your definitely not doing anything wrong by getting the training. A lot of the HR hiring process is attitude and outlook on life. I recommend that some of you travel to a foreign country or take part in more group activities to become more worldly. Nobody likes working with know-it-alls or passively aggressive people.

As a matter of fact...maybe a career in healthcare isn't for some of you...it might be time to explore some other fields. Take this failed nuclear medicine technologist job search as a hidden blessing and move onto something your more suited for...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

joe your continuing lies and stupidity amazes me. we should be thankful we have some sort of education? dude we paid 21,000 in tuition to the schools as an investment to our future. money and time we will NOT be getting back. We did everything wrong if we are not going to get employed in the field once we graduate. If we knew we would not get employed in the field, we would have used that money to enrol in another program, get a full time job, and invest the money in stocks or GICs. Please get the fk off this forum and rubbing salt to the people lives that are destroyed by this you troll.

53 months ago

joe your continuing lies and stupidity amazes me. we should be thankful we have some sort of education? dude we paid 21,000 in tuition to the schools as an investment to our future. money and time we will NOT be getting back. We did everything wrong if we are not going to get employed in the field once we graduate. If we knew we would not get employed in the field, we would have used that money to enrol in another program, get a full time job, and invest the money in stocks or GICs. Please get the fk off this forum and rubbing salt to the people lives that are destroyed by this you troll.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

joeschmoe,

So, just like a rat you finally came out and said what we knew all along: you're just another nuc med instructor. Folks, pay attention, this is how they spread their little propaganda and fool students who don't know any better. Notice the pathetic arguments he uses: that we should be thankful that we got an education. So, we should be thankful for spending 3 hard years studying and now under a mountain of debt with no job prospects in our field? You're a GENIUS!

strikefreedom, 21k is the amount of student loan that we are personally responsible for. But the true cost is closer to 30k, because the Ontario government(read: Tax payers) is paying the portion that exceeds 21k. In reality, taxpayers are footing the bill for the crime that these nuc med fraudsters pulled on us. And yet, these nuc med instructors like joetheidiot from Winnipeg, are so shameless that they even come on these boards to spread their lies.

53 months ago

strikefreedom,
Very well said. Joe, is it not enough that thousands of good people have had thier lives destroyed in this scam? Can't you and your co-conspirators simply be satisfied with the vast sums of money you've conned them out of? You're still not happy unless you grind salt in thier wounds? Come on, you and your people won. We (students, taxpayers, unemployed NMT's, etc) all lost. I've heard of sore losers but you're a sore winner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Not being able to find a job is not exclusive to Nuclear Medicine. As a matter of fact, there was a news report on 20/20 some time ago regarding the issue of many graduates from different fields (read: human development, music, meteorology) who graduated with excessive debt ($50,000+) and were not able to find any job prospects.

This is just how it is right now. Most people are struggling to find any job, and this is why I recommend impressing those around you and try to become a more likeable human being.

Quit this sense of "entitlement" and just get a job. No offence, but many of you sound like a bunch of whiny rich kids who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

Sometimes a good way of getting recognized for nuc med positions is by volunteering in one of the departments. This is the first step I would recommend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

beezorchdaddyo in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

Sometimes a good way of getting recognized for nuc med positions is by volunteering in one of the departments. This is the first step I would recommend.

Dude, did you just pull that out of your ass? I've worked in this field >10 years and I have never heard of one single person getting a Nuc Med tech position by starting out as a "volunteer Nuc Med Tech" (???). Come to think of it, I have never heard of a Nuc department accepting "volunteers."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Joe,

You really think people writing comments on this discussion board are just a bunch of rich "entitelment" snobs that stir coffee with silver spoons in the morning and swirl expensive cognacs in the evening while looking for a jobs????

To be honest with you, you're the one who comes off sounding like the "know-it-all" on this forum.

Crawl back under your rock, or find another forum to troll... NT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Jenny, You said...
"My attorney's sources have told him that Michener will almost certainly settle this outside the courtroom because they do not want the negative publicity (no kidding, these poor students that don't know any better are Michener's bread and butter, they don't want to scare them away)."

Jenny, I'm on your side. I'm just trying to help, but what negative publicity are you talking about? Are you personally going to run an ad in the paper? Commercials on TV and the radio? I disagree with the advice you've recieved from your attorney that Michener will settle out of court. I don't believe that at all and I don't believe they have any fear at all of negative publicity. I can tell you why I know all this if you want to discuss it further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

beezorchdaddyo in Shelbyville, Tennessee

53 months ago

"A couple years ago, a young girl was able to volunteer in the nuc med department and act as a nuclear medicine assistant. This girl was immediately considered for SAIT's program in Calgary and was able to quickly get hired on a full-time basis after she graduated. Had she not had the relevant experience in the department, there's a chance she may not have gotten the position. When a position opened up, she was the one considered first."

HA HA

I have a great idea for your for-profit college where you teach: start a new associate degree program called "nuclear medicine technologist assistant".
Just think of the "big bank" you & your school could make off this.

Surely you're smiling now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Joe,

Healthcare is *no longer* a prestigious industry to be a part of, five or ten years ago I probably would've agreed with what you're saying. I understand your job as a clinical coordinator is to promote the nuclear medicine profession, and *protect your career* - true or false ??

Ok ...there's a time to be positive - I agree with you on that, but you also have to be realistic. Blame game aside and without question these nuclear medicine schools have negatively impacted the field and overloaded the market..why??.. pure greed. In the US alone the schools have already managed to churn-out 200 percent more NMT's than needed, with thousands more victims due to come off the milling press in 2012

I don't know exactly how the Canadian market is for NMT's and maybe it's decent in your immediate area, but most (if not all) regions in north america are well beyond saturated - with no relief in sight.

The NMT job crisis has affected EVERYONE in the industry, not just recent graduates.
Being *realistic* I've accepted the cold hard fact that the glory days of Nuc Med are probably over(and I'm not happy about it) even though I still work part-time as an NMT I had to seek other career options as well. Volunteering, waiting for the baby boomers to retire, writing perfect resumes, or being a positive person is not going to change the facts and statistics of the situation - 1) an extremely competitive NMT job market, 2) no reasonable employment prospects for both experienced and new grad techs 3) complete saturation of trained NMT's via the schools.

I've taken note of your positive outlook, but Joe you really need to quit telling people to move out of their comfort zone and relocate overseas or nationally to find these jobs of plenty you continue to preach about - its ridiculous and untrue...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

joeschmoe said: "Hate to flame like this Jenny, but are you fat-overweight? If I was HR, I wouldn't hire you either...There's two kinds of people in this world: people who work hard for things, and people who want everything handed to them. Which one are you?".....

Nice to see that a real high quality human being like Joe is teaching our future health care professionals. I think it's safe to say that Joe is not exactly dripping with honesty and integrity. Joe, since you value hard work so much, why don't you and all the other NMT instructors, NMT recruiters and promoters and NMT program directors stop operating this scam and quit your jobs so you can do REAL work? You can all go get one of these plentiful NMT jobs and actually do REAL work helping people and doing patient care instead of conning people out of thier money and thier futures. You won't do that because it's YOU who does not want to "work hard for things", NOT the unemployed NMTs. As long as these NMT program directors and recruiters can "make big bank" this way, why would they want to do real work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

The NMT program directors, NMT recruiters and NMT instructors all know the secret to making "big bank" and it's certainly NOT hard work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Stitch,

In response to your question, I did a lot of research before hiring this attorney and he has a great record with winning similar lawsuits in the past. He is one of those big shot attorneys who has connections with journalists and politicians. Of course, he is an even bigger scum than Michener, and that is exactly why he is the right person for this job. And so far he has not let me down. In fact, my attorney and I and several reps. from Michener will be having a meeting soon.

joe,

You really think people on this board are that stupid? Every pathetic argument you have made in an attempt to sugar coat the reality that there are NO JOBS in NUC MED has fallen through. People here have the mental faculties to recognize the truth and laugh at your idiotic attempts to deceive students in order to protect your six figure salary. You are no different than the Wall Street dirt bags that are governed by reckless greed and self-interest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

joeschmoe in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: And people wonder why our country is going down the tubes...."I'm filing suit against the planet earth, this person stole the rest of our oxygen..."

Joe......"I'm filing suit against the planet earth, this person stole the rest of our oxygen..." Does this sentence even make any sense? I don't get it. Could you explain the meaning of this, please? Maybe it's me but so much of what you say is just beyond my understanding. As far as identifying the reason why we are going down the tubes, how about if you look inside YOURSELF also, Joe, instead of blaming "lazy unemployed NMT's who don't want to work and want everything handed to them"....How about the existance of people like YOURSELF?....If you really want to know why we are in decline, look at the quality of human beings that we allow to supposedly be teaching our future health care professionals!! Health care professionals are supposed to be honest people!!! They are supposed to have integrity and moral character! Shouldn't we all insist that the people who have been entrusted with educating our future health care professionals be honest people? 30 years ago it seemed to be a given that people in that type of role were good, honest people. (I did work in the medical field 30 years ago so am somewhat speaking from my own observation and experience)....I don't know what has caused this change but things are so vastly different now. Areas such as health care and the ministry are a magnet for good people....people who just live to serve others..people of the highest moral character who just have an insatiable passion to bear the burdens of sick and downtrodden people and to love and serve others. That's just the way God made them. I hope you all know some people like this. {Of course there are those types of people in every career field but they seem to especially be drawn to areas like health care and the ministry}.

53 months ago

..(continued)..anyway, one problem with these good people is that the very qualities that make them good people also make them very susceptible to con artists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Jenny,
I'd really like to talk to you before your meeting. You describe your attorney as "an even bigger scum than Michener, an even bigger con artist than Michener..."..etc. Jenny, I'm not sure you're connecting all the dots here. Are you paying this attorney strictly on a 100% contingency basis? Are you sure of that? If you are accurate in saying that this attorney is a con artist, crook, scum, etc....keep in mind how con artists make thier living ..They CON PEOPLE! Don't just dismiss the possibility that you are being set up to be hurt again. Of course I don't know if that's true I'm just saying that I myself have been in that type of meeting that you are about to go into. It's lonely and it's scary. You're in there with people who are dishonest beyond your wildest imagination, and they have seemingly unlimited power and unlimited money. Jenny, if you think YOUR lawyer is crooked just wait until you meet THIER lawyers!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.