Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 132)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical nuclear medicine technologist salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Jacob in San Antonio, Texas

87 months ago

NMT's can make anywhere from 25 to 100 and hour depending upon education and years of experience as well as the market they are in. In the near future the law will only allow techs with a bach to work in the field so you need to find a University rather than a community college that offers the degree. Learning MRI, CT, PET, or PET/CT will also make you valuable. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

j in Dumont, New Jersey

87 months ago

Jacob in San Antonio, Texas said: NMT's can make anywhere from 25 to 100 and hour depending upon education and years of experience as well as the market they are in. In the near future the law will only allow techs with a bach to work in the field so you need to find a University rather than a community college that offers the degree. Learning MRI, CT, PET, or PET/CT will also make you valuable. Good luck.

i also know and found out in 2015 by advance magazine, nm will require bachelor degree only but anyone who has only an associates or certifications before that time will be "grandfathered in" so they will be safe to work and earn as much as a nm tech with a bachelors degree especially one with multiple modality certifications under one's belt like myself pretty soon. So as long as the new student get into the nm program before 2015 hits and graduate before this year comes, you are okay especially if you have other certifications in your belt like x ray technicians. I asked one just previviously today, who would you hire more? One graduate who is registered in radiography and nuclear medicine (CNMT, RT(N) both) or another graduate who has a BA in NM (CNMT, RT(N) both? He said, the multiple modality person. By 2009, this won't affect me. Just remember, 2015 is the deadline. By the way, I do not agree with this but to make the market better for everyone, I guess so but I feel bad for fellow radiographers who wants to specialize after 2015.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Clairton, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

j in Dumont, New Jersey said: "also another thing. you can't train for Cat Scan if you are not a previous radiographer before even if you are registered for PET Scan and yes it is by law"

I am certified in NMT only by the ARRT and NMTCB.
I only had to take two classes in CT And get 240 clinical hours and I am board eligible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

J in Dumont, New Jersey

86 months ago

I guess I am wrong from what I have been told years ago but then again, they always change the rules regardless and always in ARRT. Good for you though joe. I guess there's no point of becoming a x ray tech first anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sheena in Riverview, Florida

84 months ago

I am interested in both radiolocctechnology and nuclear medicine. Would you say is it better to go for NMT since in 2015 the requirement will be a Bachelor degree? And if so, would it be beneficial to also be certified as a RT, or would u even pursue RT if you were an NMT? I appreciate anyone's feedback as I am trying to decide which field to pursue. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida

82 months ago

Does anyone know how much does a NMT make an hour in the Los Angeles, CA are working full time, per diem or as a travel tech? Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Springfield, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

the hospitals have no money to spend for nuc med tech salaries..They are now training xray techs to do our jobs and they are getting away with it! Just to save money. The public does not know this. I lost my job to an xray tech that was ojt....Now Im out of work strictly for money reasons!!I wish I went to school for ct or mri. The hours are more flexable. There are no jobs in nucs. I passed xray boards and nuc med boards And it doesnt mean a thing!!!!! STAY AWAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Springfield, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

If you are employed by an agency, they pay big bucks....but when the yearly contract IS NOT renewed with the Dr. the agency drops you like a hot potatoe!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Twin Falls, Idaho

81 months ago

I'm looking at starting a nuc-med program this summer if accepted.....My main concern is that the tech's I talk to say there aren't any jobs in the area and I've done an extensive search online and can't find very many jobs at all....Even the director of the program I'm looking at says I'll definitely have to look around a little....What's up with this field? I can't believe it's the only field in healthcare with no jobs!

Jim in Poca, West Virginia

81 months ago

He is definitely right. The search for jobs has been an uphill climb to say the least. Every job you apply for, you can figure on going up against at least 5 other people if not more. This seems to be the case more so in the last year or so than long term. This career actually used to be in demand. I graduated over the summer 07 and it is now january and still nothing. I would look into other options besided nuc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SHEENA in Riverview, Florida

81 months ago

Is this in all states. I am in FL and was wondering it anyone in FL is also having problems finding jobs. I am considering going to school for Ultrasound, Rad Tech, or Nuc Med, and my 1 concern with Nuc Med is that there may not be as many jobs available upon completion of the program. Although that would be 2 years from now. Does anyone think that this is due to the economic slump we are in now or more long term??? Any advice would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

This shift in nuc med employment, from what I can tell, is because of several different factors.
1. Hospitals are training x-ray techs to do nuc med jobs to save money due to x-ray not making what nuc med makes.
2. Hospitals are not hiring nuc med techs because of the economic uncertainty that is out there right now.
3. There are more schools churning out hundreds of new grads each year and combine that with the above issues then you can see why things are where they are.

As far as what the future holds, there is no way to know. But if it was me and I had to decide where to go from here.....it would not be nuc med. Don't get me wrong though, the profession is great and it is an awesome job but it is a real gamble for your future right now.

81 months ago

Thanks for your input! If I could get your opinion or anyones for that matter, if you were me would you say it would be better to go into Ultrasound or Radiology rather than Nuc Med? I have an appointment this week to fill out application, etc for ultrasound and was also considering doing the same for Radiology and Nuc Med and do some job shadowing as well to make my final decision. The only thing that concerns me about Nuc Med is job availability.

Ashley in Hurricane, West Virginia

81 months ago

So what does everyone do in the mean time while looking for a nuclear medicine job? Is it worth it once you DO find one? I thought it was strictly a location matter being in WV, but apparently it's all over.

hopeful for job in Savannah, Georgia

81 months ago

j in Dumont, New Jersey said: also another thing. you can't train for Cat Scan if you are not a previous radiographer before even if you are registered for PET Scan and yes it is by law. I asked one of the registered PET scan techs and this does not matter whether you have BA in NM. You can get trained for MR considering it is not ionizing radiation but even that, I believe there should be a law saying that you should be a RT(R) first before you can be trained and get formal education to perform MRI. Hey, that's how it goes unfortunately.

In GA you can have a BS in NM and be certified in CT without doing anything radiography. In the program I am in currently, many of us will grad being able to sit for both NM boards and CT boards.

Heather in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew where the closest school is to Cumberland, Maryland for Nuc Med school? I am already a board certified X-ray Tech and board certified MRI Tech. Is there programs out there for this additional education when you are already a tech?

81 months ago

Heather in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew where the closest school is to Cumberland, Maryland for Nuc Med school? I am already a board certified X-ray Tech and board certified MRI Tech. Is there programs out there for this additional education when you are already a tech?

I think Wheeling Jesuit would be closest to Cumberland, MD.

andrea in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

SHEENA in Riverview, Florida said: Thanks for your input! If I could get your opinion or anyones for that matter, if you were me would you say it would be better to go into Ultrasound or Radiology rather than Nuc Med? I have an appointment this week to fill out application, etc for ultrasound and was also considering doing the same for Radiology and Nuc Med and do some job shadowing as well to make my final decision. The only thing that concerns me about Nuc Med is job availability.

the schhool i attend in new orleans requires you to have a 2 year degree in an allied health field before you can even apply to nuc med & ultra sound. i would apply to all and make your decisions after you find out all the info you need,or get your acceptance letter

Roberta in Midland, Michigan

80 months ago

Anyone know of somewhere in Michigan where one can get PET or CT certified? I'm wondering if there are certifications along with NUCM that are attainable to piggy back the NUCM??

matt

80 months ago

What is the difference in pay between ct scan, xray tech, nuc med, etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LEE in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

joe in Clairton, Pennsylvania said: j in Dumont, New Jersey said: "also another thing. you can't train for Cat Scan if you are not a previous radiographer before even if you are registered for PET Scan and yes it is by law"

I only had to take two classes in CT And get 240 clinical hours and I am board eligible.

Joe, I am an RT(R). I didn't know that I need to take classes(I knew that I need clinical) in order to board eligible. Could you explain me more about it? Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

SHEENA in Riverview, Florida said: Thanks for your input! If I could get your opinion or anyones for that matter, if you were me would you say it would be better to go into Ultrasound or Radiology rather than Nuc Med? I have an appointment this week to fill out application, etc for ultrasound and was also considering doing the same for Radiology and Nuc Med and do some job shadowing as well to make my final decision. The only thing that concerns me about Nuc Med is job availability.

Sheena,

I also trying to get into Ultrasound or Radiology program. Did you make up your mind? I didn't yet. Which program do you think is better?

80 months ago

LEE in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Sheena,

I also trying to get into Ultrasound or Radiology program. Did you make up your mind? I didn't yet. Which program do you think is better?

Really hard for me to say, i really liked them both - i just found out a few hours ago that i got accepted into BOTH programs for NUC MED and US so i have to make my decision by next week............

80 months ago

.... Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Sean in Jupiter, Florida

80 months ago

Go to school for nursing so you can get a job when you get out

michelle in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

LEE in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Joe, I am an RT(R). I didn't know that I need to take classes(I knew that I need clinical) in order to board eligible. Could you explain me more about it? Thank you!!

lee i live in colorado springs and im having trouble finding schools did you become an RT here or somewhere else any info would really help

80 months ago

michelle in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: lee i live in colorado springs and im having trouble finding schools did you become an RT here or somewhere else any info would really help

Pueblo community College, Community College in Denver, and Aims Community college, has RT program. There is one vocational school in Aurora, Denver but it cost $35,000. So, check it out thoses 3 community colleges.

79 months ago

Whew!! Finally found a job! It only took 8 months of searching. Anyone who is considering Nuc Med as a career should really think long and hard about it. I can't imagine the kind of hell the new grads this summer are facing when it comes to jobs.

J in Paramus, New Jersey

79 months ago

jobs in x ray is as hard as finding a job in anything really in radiology. i was lucky to find 2 jobs and give me something to put on the resume. honestly, a lot of places are looking for a tech who can do x-ray, ct, and mri and hell bone density especially imaging centers but honestly they don't pay you what they really should regardless of your merits and it tends to be really hectic esp when you are the only tech there with 4 pts who show up at the same time with different modalities blah. ultrasound, i have no idea dont ask me. it's new to me that hospitals are training x ray techs to be nuc med techs, and honestly it's ethically wrong and i am an x ray tech. i know in nj and ny, they don't do that as far as I know at least. as everyone told me in every field, it's a cycle, it will get better in a few years or so and it happens everytime what i have found out from experience techs in each field in radiology. being in an agency helps to put something in a resume and it lets you to get to know more techs (i have an ultrasound tech who is helping me find a job in nuc after i graduate because she knows a good friend whose a boss in a cardiology place and a hospital, see) who can help you but yeah it stinks to work w/o benefits. anyway don't give up.

dawn norris in Detroit, Michigan

79 months ago

Please if you could forward that info regarding the classes that you had to take in ct along with the required hours. I am a current nuclear medicine student and i think this info would be very helpful to me. You can forwad that info to my email at dorris628@yahoo.com thank you

joe in Clairton, Pennsylvania said: j in Dumont, New Jersey said: "also another thing. you can't train for Cat Scan if you are not a previous radiographer before even if you are registered for PET Scan and yes it is by law"

79 months ago

dawn norris in Detroit, Michigan said: Please if you could forward that info regarding the classes that you had to take in ct along with the required hours. I am a current nuclear medicine student and i think this info would be very helpful to me. You can forwad that info to my email at dorris628@yahoo.com thank you

correction that is dnorris628@yahoo.com

79 months ago

J in Paramus, New Jersey said: jobs in x ray is as hard as finding a job in anything really in radiology. i was lucky to find 2 jobs and give me something to put on the resume. honestly, a lot of places are looking for a tech who can do x-ray, ct, and mri and hell bone density especially imaging centers but honestly they don't pay you what they really should regardless of your merits and it tends to be really hectic esp when you are the only tech there with 4 pts who show up at the same time with different modalities blah. ultrasound, i have no idea dont ask me. it's new to me that hospitals are training x ray techs to be nuc med techs, and honestly it's ethically wrong and i am an x ray tech. i know in nj and ny, they don't do that as far as I know at least. as everyone told me in every field, it's a cycle, it will get better in a few years or so and it happens everytime what i have found out from experience techs in each field in radiology. being in an agency helps to put something in a resume and it lets you to get to know more techs (i have an ultrasound tech who is helping me find a job in nuc after i graduate because she knows a good friend whose a boss in a cardiology place and a hospital, see) who can help you but yeah it stinks to work w/o benefits. anyway don't give up.

I just read your comment & was wondering if you could give me some info on the agencys you were referring to & how soon can you hook up w/these agancies since I am a current nuc med student like some of the people that are scared as well about there future. I do however know what you mean regarding differnt field going through a up and down phase because back in the late 90's the physical therapist were having the same problems that the nuc med field is having now. There were posting like these for this field. I worked w/some of those in school for pt as well as those going to school for pt. They were saying no jobs, can't fid a job, or working part time w/other odd jobs.

J in Dumont, New Jersey

79 months ago

hey dawn. the agency i just said, well I was lucky to actually know one because my professor really cared for the last class he officially taught before he retired so he brought the owners of the agency to the class. I bet there is an agency in Michigan that sends techs wherever there is a vacancy in clinics or office same as nuclear medicine. Do I know any? No, I am sorry. You can try yahoo or google it to see if there are any in the state and I bet there are. People do get sick even working techs and they need techs that day to replace them and hell if they like you, they keep referring for your name and eventually if they are not so cheap in the budget, they will hire you. Try "Nuclear Medicine Agencies or you know the rest." Like they say, maybe a different location will help especially California but even that is not a guarantee. One big tip I just received is that there is work to be found during the summer time because there is a lot of techs are going to be on vacation whether it is a hospital or office or clinic. So yeah apply EVERYWHERE! Doctors will get to know you and the techs. Just like everything else in the world, NETWORK LIKE HELL. Also in the other note, the goal is for all of us besides the passing of the Care bill is to get a full time job with benefits. yes the Agency does pay well regardless where you live but it doesn't have benefits. Yeah 30 or 45 for a nuke tech sounds really nice but I rather have benefits if something bad happens to me. Knock on wood, Good luck dawn. don't give up again. if I didn't, you shouldn't too!

lee in Springfield, Illinois

78 months ago

Jim in Poca, West Virginia said: Whew!! Finally found a job! It only took 8 months of searching. Anyone who is considering Nuc Med as a career should really think long and hard about it. I can't imagine the kind of hell the new grads this summer are facing when it comes to jobs.

jobs...there are no jobs..finished school. with a bachelors degree no less....have applied...havent even been given the chance to be shot down......if your thinking about nuc med..think again...do you want alot of debt and nothing to show for it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TAYO in Powder Springs, Georgia

78 months ago

Help!! I have an interview with Medical College of GA this month. I applied to nuclear med and also health informatics. I have notice though there are no jobs in nuclear meds and if there are...it is prn or part-time. I don't know what to do, but i do know i really don't like direct patient contact. The reason i choose nuclear med as first choice is because i thought it would be easier for me to find a job but now i guess it's not? I will really appreciate any advice given. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Port Deposit, Maryland

78 months ago

TAYO in Powder Springs, Georgia said: Help!! I have an interview with Medical College of GA this month. I applied to nuclear med and also health informatics. I have notice though there are no jobs in nuclear meds and if there are...it is prn or part-time. I don't know what to do, but i do know i really don't like direct patient contact. The reason i choose nuclear med as first choice is because i thought it would be easier for me to find a job but now i guess it's not? I will really appreciate any advice given. Thanks

Nuc med is not your cup of tea then....its all direct patient contact.

Miranda in Circleville, Ohio

78 months ago

I wanted some feedback from some NM techs. Was schooling really hard? After reading what everyone has said about NM I'm a little unsure about pursuing a career in that field.
I've just been going back and fourth on what I want to do. I thought I would like NM but maybe not.

John in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

78 months ago

Does anyone know where to find the closest school neasr Mt. Laurel, Nj. Also what is the starting pay of the NMT. Anyone know how to find a job. Do they have job fairs at the school or do you have to find one by yourself. Thanks

John in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

78 months ago

Does anyone know where to find the closest school neasr Mt. Laurel, Nj. Also what is the starting pay of the NMT. Anyone know how to find a job. Do they have job fairs at the school or do you have to find one by yourself. Thanks

rtr in Dumont, New Jersey

78 months ago

there's only 3 schools really in nj for nuclear medicine and thank god all of them right now are only taking 10 students each school I bet, so 30 students per year out of the state of NJ only if they all graduate. There are UMDNJ, Muhlenberg Medical Center, and Gloucouster Community College. I hve no idea where is Mt. Laurel but it sounds like South Jersey. All the schools that I mention are around the South. UMDNJ is around the center, exit 138 off the parkway in Scotch Plains.

Veronica in Humble, Texas

77 months ago

Hi I am 21 yrs. and live in Houston, Tx currenlty a LMRT I have a strong desire to become a Radiology/CT Tech what steps does anyone advice me to take in order to accomplish this? What schools are recommended also? Would greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you.

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

Veronica in Humble, Texas said: Hi I am 21 yrs. and live in Houston, Tx currenlty a LMRT I have a strong desire to become a Radiology/CT Tech what steps does anyone advice me to take in order to accomplish this? What schools are recommended also? Would greatly appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Go to ARRT.org and check for an accredited CT program in your area. Then talk to some of the CT techs that had just recently graduated from those programs to find out more about the quality of the program. Ask the program coordinator to give you references. Most of them will gladly do that.

NUCMED in Chillicothe, Ohio

76 months ago

Nuc Med is NOT the way to go. Jobs are in short supply and salaries are dropping as they red carpet out the experienced techs to pay new techs a measly salary in comparison. Also, I wanted to express that the suggestion by someone else to consider nursing was a great idea because there are a lot more directions that you can go with a nursing degree in contrast to a career in any radiology modality. Yes, multi modality technicians are more in demand than those who only can do one modality but, then again, you're worked like a mule and barely fed for the work you put out. Watch your career selection and make sure that it provides you with other options (i.e. nurses can continue their education for managerial, nurse anesthetist, nurse practitioner, or positions are available at schools, in doctor's offices, hospitals, jails, etc...). In radiology, if there's not a job available at an imaging center, a hospital, or the very few physician offices that maintain their own imaging equipment ... you're just out of luck and likely will have to relocate or take a mediocre job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Lancaster, Ohio

75 months ago

I am a phlebotomist and was very interested in the nuclear med tech field until I started reading this forum. It sounds so much like what is happening to hundreds of phlebotomists looking for work and finding very little. The market is saturated and they keep pumping students through just the same. I thought that phlebotomy would be my stepping stone into the nuclear field, but now I am really starting to see what is really going on. If for you like myself, I'm sure they did'nt tell you that once you completed school you would have a terrible time finding employment?! It seems that they care very little what the cost was to you and all of us that have taken the time to study in the healthcare field, not to mention the actual cost, our time , our families and what they have had to sacrfice along with us at one point or another. I'm actually a little angry at the callousness of these schools and so called professionals.
I could alway's go for my Bachelors in Healthcare Administration, but somehow that really does'nt do much for me. At this point it would take me roughly one year to complete, but my heart is not really in it. I just don't know what to do with myself as far as an education goes.
Might I ask you where you went to school to become a radiologist? I'm just curious because I've searched the internet for schools and could'nt come close to where I live, which is Lancaster,Ohio. Would you have any suggestions for me at this time so I don't spend the rest of my life in school looking for an education that might possibly employ after it is all said and done... I would greatly appreciate your advice, and I'm very sorry about what has happened to you.
Again thank you,

Deborah Savage

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina

75 months ago

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Lancaster, Ohio said: I am a phlebotomist and was very interested in the nuclear med tech field until I started reading this forum. It sounds so much like what is happening to hundreds of phlebotomists looking for work and finding very little. The market is saturated and they keep pumping students through just the same. I thought that phlebotomy would be my stepping stone into the nuclear field, but now I am really starting to see what is really going on. If for you like myself, I'm sure they did'nt tell you that once you completed school you would have a terrible time finding employment?! It seems that they care very little what the cost was to you and all of us that have taken the time to study in the healthcare field, not to mention the actual cost, our time , our families and what they have had to sacrfice along with us at one point or another. I'm actually a little angry at the callousness of these schools and so called professionals.
I could alway's go for my Bachelors in Healthcare Administration, but somehow that really does'nt do much for me. At this point it would take me roughly one year to complete, but my heart is not really in it. I just don't know what to do with myself as far as an education goes.
Might I ask you where you went to school to become a radiologist? I'm just curious because I've searched the internet for schools and could'nt come close to where I live, which is Lancaster,Ohio. Would you have any suggestions for me at this time so I don't spend the rest of my life in school looking for an education that might possibly employ after it is all said and done... I would greatly appreciate your advice, and I'm very sorry about what has happened to you.
Again thank you,

Deborah Savage

Go to www.arrt.org, there you should be able to find a list of accredited programs. Good luck with finding a job thoough.

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Go to www.arrt.org , there you should be able to find a list of accredited programs. Good luck with finding a job thoough.

Right now I think finding a school is the easy part. However, finding a job is another story.

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Lancaster, Ohio said: I am a phlebotomist and was very interested in the nuclear med tech field until I started reading this forum. It sounds so much like what is happening to hundreds of phlebotomists looking for work and finding very little. The market is saturated and they keep pumping students through just the same. I thought that phlebotomy would be my stepping stone into the nuclear field, but now I am really starting to see what is really going on. If for you like myself, I'm sure they did'nt tell you that once you completed school you would have a terrible time finding employment?! It seems that they care very little what the cost was to you and all of us that have taken the time to study in the healthcare field, not to mention the actual cost, our time , our families and what they have had to sacrfice along with us at one point or another. I'm actually a little angry at the callousness of these schools and so called professionals.
Again thank you,

Deborah Savage

If you want a job when you get out of school, GO to nursing school. There are NO jobs for NMT's and it's anyones guess when and if that will change. If more Tech's would discover this website you would see that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AB in Irvine, California

74 months ago

can I ask how much salery a new graduate would start with? with a BS degree?thanks

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Middletown, Ohio

74 months ago

In regard to healthcare administrator with a BS, the salary for my area is approx. $66K a year.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.