So Nuclear Medicine Tech program is a bad idea?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 85)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

zimm in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

I have been going to school for about 3 years now and still do not know what career I want to pursue. I though I had finally figured it out. I am planning to start my NMT classes in july until I ran into this forum. My mentor is a working NMT. He did not mention any work shortage and my school said it was a growing feild. Should I run now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

buttababy in Surprise, Arizona

49 months ago

dont do RT we are under paid and I have 4 years in acute ER/ICU and cant find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Chicago, Illinois

49 months ago

Wheelspin,

The program in my area only requires prequisites that of the ADN program. It doesn't require anything beyond general chemistry, a&p I and II, and some other general Ed courses. I am taking all the advice on this board very seriously. Ugh I just want to do imaging so badly! Believe it or not my major before RT was nursing. I have all the prerequisites except for the CNA certificate which I will need to be re-certified for again. I guess I dread the thought of changing my major again because my experience as a nursing assistant wasn't a very good one. And to be honest I really really don't want to hear I told you so from my mom who thinks I would make the most wonderful nurse ever for some reason.

I don't know it seems we're all stuck in a rock and hard place huh? I guess I will have to reconsider nursing or Respiratory therapy as options. *sigh*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17yearsapart in Manahawkin, New Jersey

49 months ago

zimm in Miami, Florida said: I have been going to school for about 3 years now and still do not know what career I want to pursue. I though I had finally figured it out. I am planning to start my NMT classes in july until I ran into this forum. My mentor is a working NMT. He did not mention any work shortage and my school said it was a growing feild. Should I run now?

Yes run now while you have a choice. I dont know what to tell you is open but I know that nuclear is not it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

17yearsapart in Manahawkin, New Jersey

49 months ago

shay in Chicago, Illinois said: Why do people on this forum keep suggesting techs to enroll in nursing or physical therapy programs? I am interested in becoming a Radiologic Technologist not an RN, or occupational therapist, or physician assistant or whatever. If I wanted to become an RN I would but I dont want to because a)some if not most AS degree programs require a CNA certificate. First of all I was CNA for over a year. There is no way in the world I want to experience that awful underpaid job ever again. Second I dont want to have as much patient care responsibility as an RN has. Trust me there is ALOT of responsibility.

Dont even get started on the collassel of extra prerequistes there are for physician assistants or physical therapists. For starters you need Organic Chem I and II, Calculus, Biology (micro, cell, genetics, etc) and Physics I and II. If you have those courses completed already by all means enroll in those programs. But for those like me, I want to graduate in two years with a degree not in six. Yes with these programs you HAVE to earn a Masters degree.

No I'm not knocking these professions down. Being an RN, physician assistant, or physical therapist is a very rewarding career. Buts its not for everyone.

I as a future RT, would rather expand my marketability and specialize in more than ONE imaging modality. I think to tell other NMTs to specialize in Sonograpy or Radiation Therapy or going back to school to become an RT is more realistic.

Good luck to you, but please stay open minded. I dont know if PA is the answer, but I am cross trained and every one always tells me they love me but they just dont have enought patients to bring in an extra person. I am trained in xray, nuclear and PET. That CNA pay is a lot better than what I am getting now. Best wishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington

49 months ago

The job market v. demand situation either wasn't being tracked, or it wasn't being acknowledged. No other possibilty. I'm having a hard time understanding how a licensed profession with national organization representation can't manage to keep track of the trends occurring within the profession & the industry. I'm inclined to think the situation was a known, yet unspoken phenomenon.

At this juncture, I'm not inclined to get a 2nd/3rd/4th/Nth modality license. The odds of a return on the investment are negative. When I looked into it 4 yrs ago, the news was rosey & positive, albeit untrue. Now the cover is off.

Word to the wise...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nuc tech in Springfield, Illinois

49 months ago

Beware fellow illinoisan...there are no jobs in this field now...it changed while i was in school..this biggest mistake ive made...if you havent wasted your time and money yet then dont waste it with nuclear tech...cause yeah get all kinds of promises but when its time to pay the banker and cash in on all that hard work..u get nothing...no job...a mountain of school debt and no good prospects I only wish i had someone forwarn me before i did all that work for absolutely nothing!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Schooling Needed in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

shay in Chicago, Illinois said: Dont even get started on the collassel of extra prerequistes there are for physician assistants or physical therapists. For starters you need Organic Chem I and II, Calculus, Biology (micro, cell, genetics, etc) and Physics I and II. If you have those courses completed already by all means enroll in those programs. But for those like me, I want to graduate in two years with a degree not in six. Yes with these programs you HAVE to earn a Masters degree.

I had to take almost all those classes for my B.S. in Nuclear Medicine. It was basically a pre-med undergraduate degree at my University.

Let me ask you...why do you want to do Nuclear Medicine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ahill16 in Nashville, Tennessee

44 months ago

I was wondering if you were ever able to find work? I am a recent graduate from a known University- Vanderbilt and I am having a really hard time myself.

Ashley in Little Rock, Arkansas

44 months ago

shay in Chicago, Illinois said: Why do people on this forum keep suggesting techs to enroll in nursing or physical therapy programs? I am interested in becoming a Radiologic Technologist not an RN, or occupational therapist, or physician assistant or whatever. If I wanted to become an RN I would but I dont want to because a)some if not most AS degree programs require a CNA certificate. First of all I was CNA for over a year. There is no way in the world I want to experience that awful underpaid job ever again. Second I dont want to have as much patient care responsibility as an RN has. Trust me there is ALOT of responsibility.

Dont even get started on the collassel of extra prerequistes there are for physician assistants or physical therapists. For starters you need Organic Chem I and II, Calculus, Biology (micro, cell, genetics, etc) and Physics I and II. If you have those courses completed already by all means enroll in those programs. But for those like me, I want to graduate in two years with a degree not in six. Yes with these programs you HAVE to earn a Masters degree.

No I'm not knocking these professions down. Being an RN, physician assistant, or physical therapist is a very rewarding career. Buts its not for everyone.

I as a future RT, would rather expand my marketability and specialize in more than ONE imaging modality. I think to tell other NMTs to specialize in Sonograpy or Radiation Therapy or going back to school to become an RT is more realistic.

well, go ahead and join the RT/NM/MR/CT/US/RadTx network of UNEMPLOYMENT!!! they are suggesting these things to you because it's better to have a job than to be unemployed. period. I have a B.S. in NM, i declared my major when there was still a shortage. THERE IS NO LONGER A SHORTAGE!!! NM was my lifetime mistake!!!

Fred in Raleigh, North Carolina

44 months ago

zimm in Miami, Florida said: I have been going to school for about 3 years now and still do not know what career I want to pursue. I though I had finally figured it out. I am planning to start my NMT classes in july until I ran into this forum. My mentor is a working NMT. He did not mention any work shortage and my school said it was a growing feild. Should I run now?

I have been a NMT since 1995 and all I can tell you is that it is a very TOUGH field to find a job in. Very tough. When I was a student I was told not to go into Nuclear Medicine. SO much so, that I almost dropped out of the program. Nuclear Medicine has allowed me to see much of the United States working as a NMT traveler (agency) and mobile PET/CT Technologist.
My advice is this, if you want to work quickly out of school then become an RN or if your grades are good enough, physical therapist. These jobs have had openings for as long as I can remember.
F

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jonwalker in Grove, Oklahoma

44 months ago

Ashley, hey did you do the program at UAMS or Babtist? Did mine at UAMS in "98". Before they went full on internet. But even in 98, I still had to move out of state to find a decent job. Arkansas has always had a flooded market. Too bad its like that everywhere now.

44 months ago

Jonwalker in Grove, Oklahoma said: Ashley, hey did you do the program at UAMS or Babtist? Did mine at UAMS in "98". Before they went full on internet. But even in 98, I still had to move out of state to find a decent job. Arkansas has always had a flooded market. Too bad its like that everywhere now.

I went to Baptist. UAMS has essentially killed an already dying market. Last I heard, they were putting out 50 students a year. Baptist has reduced to 5.

ksbillings in Oakland, California

43 months ago

stever in San Diego, California said: my cousin a prpfessor/MD at stanford told me each hospital with a nuclear imaging program has a chemistry lab with a rediochemist to synthesize/verify the imaging agents before givng them to the NMT's. is that correct? where can i get more information about that job? like job demand, outlook, salary, school, training, etc?

thanks!

NO!! A lot of Nuclear Medicine Departments make their own isotopes or have them delivered from a Nuclear pharmacy or both. He maybe thinking of the Rdiopharmacy that delivers the isotopes. It is not this way in most facilites

43 months ago

As a Nuclear Medicine Technologist. There r few jobs out there. I have been working for 23 years and the last 2 parttime. There r jobs!! But keep in mind lots of techs have applied to these jobs. TOO many techs not enough jobs!! I used to enjoy my career. But is has become disheartening. Medicare cuts will only make it worst!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AH in Garland, Texas

43 months ago

shay in Chicago, Illinois said: So are you saying even with certification in at least three of four different modalities that an RT still can't find work? So if I am an RT who has training in NMT, MRI, Mammography, and Sonography for example, there are no jobs whatsoever in any of these fields not even in registry? For some reason I find that hard to believe.

It's easy to find your answer. Just type in all those job types for your city or area and see how many jobs come up. You'll notice that here on Indeed, many of the jobs that pop up are not even related to your search or are duplicates.

There are not many jobs at all. Employers have all the control right now. The few jobs that do become available are PRN, which are not very good.

I don't see things changes for at least 5 years, if then. We are super-saturated right now and the schools just keep churning out more grads. There are 2 nuc med schools in Dallas alone. There are 4 total in TX.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AH in Garland, Texas

43 months ago

Ashley in Little Rock, Arkansas said: I went to Baptist. UAMS has essentially killed an already dying market. Last I heard, they were putting out 50 students a year. Baptist has reduced to 5.

UAMS does cause a lot of the problem. They have a school here in Dallas and in several other states as well.

The sad thing is that the guy who runs the UAMS school has been put in charge by the SNM of determining whether or not there are too many nuc med schools graduating too many students in a saturated field. If they can't see the conflict of interest there, they must be blind.

AH in Garland, Texas

43 months ago

Another thing to remember is that Obama's health care takeover has already started cutting reimbursement rates to hospitals. The economy had already hurt hospitals and Obama's plan has provided the final blow to some. Hospitals are firing employees to cut their costs. So, supposed increased health insurance coverage is leading to fewer hospital staff members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nuclear Medicine is DEAD! in Tullahoma, Tennessee

43 months ago

These schools are taking our money.....there are very few jobs in nuclear medicine. DO NOT WAISTE YOUR TIME!!!! I wish someone would have told me four years ago the God's honest truth not to waiste my money, time and life in a career where these school are cranking out nuc med techs with any real posibility to find employment! If the field is growing some please tell me where so I can find it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I have been a CNMT since 1995. Nuclear Med is a cool job but not if you want to 'make money'. Be a nurse, an ultrasound tech, surgical tech, physical therapist, occupational therapist, anything but Nuclear Med.
F

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Washington, District of Columbia

43 months ago

Before I lost my job in January I was making 90,000/yr, so I do not know what you mean by making money. What are you looking for? 6 figures? You can if you are in the field long enough or as a manager/director.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Before I lost my job in January, I was making 90,000/yr. I do not know what you mean by making money. What are you looking for? 6 figures? If you are a manager/director you can and if you are in the field a decent period of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

How much are you making now? Think, then write.

43 months ago

I am still without a job in nuclear medicine so not much anything right now!

43 months ago

I WAS LAID-OFF IN NUCLEAR MED BACK IN MARCH 2009, SO I'M IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU BROTHER.

NM CO 2011 in Lewisville, Texas

43 months ago

I'm a little confused. You say there are no jobs out there, then what are all the postings I see for jobs on this very website? Is it just not jobs in your area? And that you're not willing to relocate?

AH in Garland, Texas

43 months ago

NM CO 2011 in Lewisville, Texas said: I'm a little confused. You say there are no jobs out there, then what are all the postings I see for jobs on this very website? Is it just not jobs in your area? And that you're not willing to relocate?

As everyone has said, there are no jobs out there anywhere. A few pop up from time to time and there are literally hundreds of applications for each posting. There are just way too many schools graduating too many students. Some jobs are also only PRN which means not full time and no benefits, etc.

Here's what the Bureau of Labor Statistics says about Nuclear Medicine Technology as a career:

"In spite of growth in nuclear medicine, the number of openings into the occupation each year will be relatively low. Job competition will be keen because the supply of properly trained nuclear medicine technologists is expected to exceed the number of job openings for technologists."

AH in Garland, Texas

43 months ago

NM CO 2011 in Lewisville, Texas said: I'm a little confused. You say there are no jobs out there, then what are all the postings I see for jobs on this very website? Is it just not jobs in your area? And that you're not willing to relocate?

Try looking at the report located here:

www.radsciences.com/docs/rsgcomp2009.pdf

It says that there is no longer a shortage of rad techs in the U.S. There were 620 accredited programs for various rad tech degrees in 2003 and today there are 735!

Added to that problem is that in the current economy, hospitals are curtailing expansion, cutting hours, and cutting jobs to save money. Even without these economic reasons, there would still be no jobs to speak of.

Where'sTheBabyBoomers? in El Cajon, California

43 months ago

The Big Myth about the explosion of needed healthcare will also come into question. Maybe CA a little different in that it still has some elements of the 60's, and hippie leftovers. But there's alot of talk about many of them seeking (or who've already) sought "alternative" medical therapies (organic, herbal, Eastern, etc.) instead of high cost traditional medical treatment/drugs (and this isn't to argue the case between "traditional" and "alternative" medicine), but rather question the "big" baby-boomer population that was supposed to end up needing traditional healthcare. Many of these folks are advocating "dying with dignity", "live and die naturally", "enjoy your last days venturing out to other parts of the world", "cheaper overseas medical communes", etc.. If this is the case, that "big" turnout may not end up happening, especially if they feel that the dollar may be worth a little more in some other place cheaper nation. But then again, this is just food for thought, since I'm sure these "hippies" probably still exist only in CA right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

I have discontinued my relationship with the SNM for that very reason...they have done NOTHING to stop these schools from ruining our careers.

As for the Obama plan, that has nothing to do with it. Medicare has been cutting every year since I've been working, and Bush didn't do a single thing for healthcare except practically privatize Medicare. If everyone in America has insurance, business will skyrocket. I no longer have insurance due to being laid off, and guess what? I don't go to the doctor.

The problem with our profession is one thing: SCHOOLS!

AH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

Ashley in Little Rock, Arkansas said: I have discontinued my relationship with the SNM for that very reason...they have done NOTHING to stop these schools from ruining our careers.

As for the Obama plan, that has nothing to do with it. Medicare has been cutting every year since I've been working, and Bush didn't do a single thing for healthcare except practically privatize Medicare. If everyone in America has insurance, business will skyrocket. I no longer have insurance due to being laid off, and guess what? I don't go to the doctor.

The problem with our profession is one thing: SCHOOLS!

Yes, the number of schools has skyrocketed along with the number of grads. The SNM doesn't do anything to help and it's also why I am no longer a member.

The SNM sent me an email a few months ago offering a trial membership. I wrote them back and told them I see no need to belong to the SNM until they start protecting the techs in the same way the AMA protects doctors, by limiting the number of schools and grads.

As far as Obama's health plan, it will affect job prospects for everyone, including health care workers. When any business, including health care like hospitals, is faced with rising costs just to meet the requirements and taxes of the Obama plan, they are going to keep hiring at the bare minimum.

As for Medicare, it's the main reason costs are so messed up in health care. It is basically the gov't fixing prices for the health care industry and as we have seen, it doesn't work. The gov't should get out of it. We should allow seniors to buy very well regulated private insurance policies, with the help of tax dollars if necessary. This has worked very well for federal employees for years. It is the price fixing that has messed things up so much.

42 months ago

Most of the time--u don't hear a word from most of these companys. It is not that easy. I am not lazy and I have gotten in touch with 10-12 facilities in the Bay Area--possibly more. A lot of jobs r posted over and over agin and most r not fulltime.

42 months ago

AH in Garland, Texas said: Yes, the number of schools has skyrocketed along with the number of grads. The SNM doesn't do anything to help and it's also why I am no longer a member.

The SNM sent me an email a few months ago offering a trial membership. I wrote them back and told them I see no need to belong to the SNM until they start protecting the techs in the same way the AMA protects doctors, by limiting the number of schools and grads.

As far as Obama's health plan, it will affect job prospects for everyone, including health care workers. When any business, including health care like hospitals, is faced with rising costs just to meet the requirements and taxes of the Obama plan, they are going to keep hiring at the bare minimum.

As for Medicare, it's the main reason costs are so messed up in health care. It is basically the gov't fixing prices for the health care industry and as we have seen, it doesn't work. The gov't should get out of it. We should allow seniors to buy very well regulated private insurance policies, with the help of tax dollars if necessary. This has worked very well for federal employees for years. It is the price fixing that has messed things up so much.

So allow the people whose very livelihood depends on how much my healthcare costs control the costs?

More insured Americans=More people going to the doctor=more tests=more volume=more $$$=more jobs

AH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

Ashley in Little Rock, Arkansas said: So allow the people whose very livelihood depends on how much my healthcare costs control the costs?

More insured Americans=More people going to the doctor=more tests=more volume=more $$$=more jobs

No, that's not how it will work. Already, Obama's plan has made the group that owns Doctors Hospitals stop building 45 new facilities that were in the works. The reason is that they won't be allowed to qualify for Medicare. That's a lot of construction jobs not to mention health care jobs that won't be created.

The Obama plan = higher costs to all businesses = fewer jobs

It doesn't matter which industry you work in. It might mean overloading those who are already employed with more work, but it certainly won't mean a lot more jobs.

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington

42 months ago

The #1 reason for the employment downturn is excess applicants in the field. Other factors (nationalized HC, the economy, insurance covg/MCR reimbursment) contribute, but ultimately, even if all the other factors are positive, there are still too many applicants. Taht is the single largest contributing factor to the bust.

I'm sorry to say, those of us who can't find employment within a yr of graduation are SOL. NM isn't going to happen for the vast majority of us. Start re-thinking your life. It's not pleasant to say this, just the real, cold, hard reality. Tthe sooner you realize it & come to terms with it, the quicker you can begin to plan & move on.

The schools & NM program directors out there who are making promises of employment opportunites are outright lying. Period. Any prospective student should be aware of this & plan accordingly. Don't be suckered by promises. The cover is off & the truth should be obvious by now. If someone still refuses to accept the truth of this & go with wishful/hopeful thinking, then they do so despite the plain warnings. Be prepared for disappointment if you choose to embark on an education & career in medical imaging, & NM in particular.

Nuclear Medicine, & medical imaging in general, is NOT the field to be in. Look elsewhere.

Bob T in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

I am unemployed and looking for a new career. I am 40 years old and starting over so i cant waste time on a maybe. What are the best options for a job in the medical field? Is all imaging jobs scarce right now? I was looking into cardiovascular tech, but i want to work if i go to school. Any help is much appreciated!!

AH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

Bob T in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am unemployed and looking for a new career. I am 40 years old and starting over so i cant waste time on a maybe. What are the best options for a job in the medical field? Is all imaging jobs scarce right now? I was looking into cardiovascular tech, but i want to work if i go to school. Any help is much appreciated!!

Read my post from 1 month ago. There is no longer a shortage of rad techs due to the proliferation of schools.

I would suggest visiting the Bureau of Labor and Statistics for current information regarding any career. You will get fairly accurate data without false advertising. You will also not get the line that you will get from college recruiters and departments that everything is great in whatever field you are interested in.

Nursing and physical therpay seem to be fields that need people. Physical therapy requires a lot of training, though, and a master's degree.

A friend of mine who could no longer find employment in nuc med is going to nursing school right now. It is a weekend program, so she can still work during the week.

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

42 months ago

John in Washington, District of Columbia said: Before I lost my job in January, I was making 90,000/yr. I do not know what you mean by making money. What are you looking for? 6 figures? If you are a manager/director you can and if you are in the field a decent period of time.

What would be the best option for a Nuclear Medicine Technologist right now? Go for CT/MRI or change the field and go for engineering or something similar?

ric in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Who offers the weekend program AH?

42 months ago

Bob T in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am unemployed and looking for a new career. I am 40 years old and starting over so i cant waste time on a maybe. What are the best options for a job in the medical field? Is all imaging jobs scarce right now? I was looking into cardiovascular tech, but i want to work if i go to school. Any help is much appreciated!!

nursing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

AH in Garland, Texas said: No, that's not how it will work. Already, Obama's plan has made the group that owns Doctors Hospitals stop building 45 new facilities that were in the works. The reason is that they won't be allowed to qualify for Medicare. That's a lot of construction jobs not to mention health care jobs that won't be created.

The Obama plan = higher costs to all businesses = fewer jobs

It doesn't matter which industry you work in. It might mean overloading those who are already employed with more work, but it certainly won't mean a lot more jobs.

The whole debate about physicians offices getting paid for their testing by medicare has been going on long before Obama even thought about running for president. And if you think it's crazy, you're crazy. Self referral imaging is the biggest scam ever dreamed up. Doctors order tests patients don't need just to make a buck. I've seen it myself.

Layla430 in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

I have a question I am thinking of getting my masters what would anyone recommend getting it in? I am currently a CNMT with a BS in Nuclear Medicine but I have been out of work for awhile. Any suggestions.

Layla430

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

42 months ago

hey
Look into PA program, the future is very good and you will find a job right away. Not sure what you can do with Master in Nuclear Medicine.

AH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

ric in Dallas, Texas said: Who offers the weekend program AH?

Texas Womens University offers the weekend nursing program. You don't have to be female to go there.

AH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

to ric in Dallas:

Texas Womens University offers the weekend nursing program. You don't have to be female to go there.

jen in Benton, Arkansas

42 months ago

Ashley in Little Rock, Arkansas said: I went to Baptist. UAMS has essentially killed an already dying market. Last I heard, they were putting out 50 students a year. Baptist has reduced to 5.

Just grad from Uams in fall 2010 NMIS program- Our little rock class was only 8 students, and if I am still correct, none of us have found a position in NM. Our satellite locations (fay, jonesboro, St Louis, maybe pumped out 12 total graduates in addition to the LR grads)50 is not accurate, but in this job market, even 5 is too many- when several years of new grads cant even find work!
When I entered the program, I was told the job market was "not good"......i think thats what we call an understatement. The only way this will get better is if schools stop being greedy and accepting students every year- either needs to be a 2 year course, with no overlapping groups of students, or the schools need to work harder on finding jobs for these graduates- possible crosstrain with programs like ultrasound, CT, MRI, etc. An applicants do need to wise up- I started the program after being laid off from my sales job- seemed like an interesting field, but i was aware of the sad job market- my bad.

ashley I totally agreed wih your statement- The nuc med problem stems directly from the years of careless acceptance and output of grads into a field that simply cannot employ them. Sadly the general public has no knowledge anything like this is occuring- I spoke with many patients who said kindly "well you will always have a job, the patients need you", they are right in that the patients need us, just not all trillion of us!
And if i hear one more time "you shoulda gone to nursing school" Im going to have a stroke- I didnt want to be a nurse! I wanted to be a NMT, and now I am- its an accomplishment, at least, and might someday help me step into a field that I enjoy- until then, lets go find another disposable sales job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Your commenets are right on target with the sad Nuclear Med situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

UnemployedNMT in Dayton, Ohio

42 months ago

Absolutely agree with you jen, went into the field cause I love it, not for the job market. I accept that I will only work 4-8 hrs a month in the field. I also accept that I work in a completely different field for money to put food on the table. I plan to hold out as long as I can until the winds change in this field, and hopefully get into a fulltime job within the next 3-4 years. I think many of us have been in the job market before and know of working the job you hate. The only thing that keeps me going is that I got a degree in a field I love and one day may actually get to do it for a living.

Until then, if anyone knows of prn or parttime work within an hour of Dayton, I am extremely interested with flexible hours.

WheelSpin in Snohomish, Washington

42 months ago

In the current environment, a degree + license is dime-a-dozen. The only practical way to maintain candidacy for future employment opportunities in this field is to have experience. If you don't find work in NM within ~1 yr of getting licensed, you're probably going to be viewed as fodder, which is the situation for the majority of NM grads. Just going by the stats/odds/numbers, most will never work in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob T in Beachwood, Ohio

42 months ago

Ashley in Little Rock, Arkansas said: nursing

ty ashley for reply -- much appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.