Very Sad Situation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 169)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

WheelSpin in Stanwood, Washington

45 months ago

You're right on all points. There's enough practical information on this site to disuade most with enough common sense to accept the truth. Point people in the right direction & leave the decision to them. Encourage research. I talked directly to people in the field back in '05-'06, before I went in, back when the economy was still good & this field wasn't yet on the skids. It took a dive while I was mid-program. I wish the situation was like this back when I was researching it. If I'd heard the chorus being sung now, I would've turned & never looked back. Those who are lucky enough to be able to see the situation as it exists today should be smart enough to know better. Medical imaging (& NM in particular) is an unwise career investment. Perhaps in 10-20 yrs it'll recover, just not in time for the current generation of students.

Don't get buffalo'ed by college program proponents. Look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ray in Brooklyn, New York

45 months ago

I am agree with you. God help us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stitch in Des Moines, Iowa

44 months ago

How can a prospective student research this field if they are seeking REAL, TRUE, HONEST information? This (see below) is typical of what they will find from almost any source, including the Bureau of Labor Statisics! Does it do any good to tell the prospective student to research the field, when few if any sources will ever tell them the truth?

Salary & Job Prospects: Salaries for Nuclear Medicine Technologists are in the range of $60,000 – $80,000 depending on location, qualifications and experience. Job prospects are excellent, particularly for certified and experienced technologists. This is mainly due to improvements in nuclear medical imaging technologies such as positron emission tomography (PET).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin in Snohomish, Washington

44 months ago

Stitch in Des Moines, Iowa said: How can a prospective student research this field if they are seeking REAL, TRUE, HONEST information? This (see below) is typical of what they will find from almost any source, including the Bureau of Labor Statisics! Does it do any good to tell the prospective student to research the field, when few if any sources will ever tell them the truth?

Salary & Job Prospects: Salaries for Nuclear Medicine Technologists are in the range of $60,000 – $80,000 depending on location, qualifications and experience. Job prospects are excellent, particularly for certified and experienced technologists. This is mainly due to improvements in nuclear medical imaging technologies such as positron emission tomography (PET).

Good find - of an an unrealistically rosey descriptor. The information/real-world accounts you're seeing on this forum should give you pause (Hint: note the thematic consistency over the last ~2 yrs). Professional forums where you can interact & receive feedback from people in the field (like this one) are a great way to separate "wheat" info from "chaff" hype. Also, talk to techs in the hospitals in your area, & even call other hospitals in other cities - even other states - to get direct feedback. I'd bet my license (for what it's worth) that the chorus will be a (nearly) unanimous, "don't do it!"

This really isn't the time to get into imaging, or maybe not even medicine in general. I know RN's who may be potentially looking at the road. Part of this is directly due to the economy, but the medical market is overloaded, & now no one's planning to retire. Even if/when the economy can recover (Questionable, as the problems are systemic in nature, + we have a rising debt bubble), the future employment opportunities in the sector seem very uncertain. Definitely get into an area that has broader employment potential/outlook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

And what about all the hundreds of current NMT students? I wonder what they are told by the techs at thier clinical sites? If these techs told them about the fact that there are no jobs, would'nt many of them immediately drop out and demand a refund, especially if they were told a different story by a recruiter or program director? That would mean the end of the program and the end of the NMT program directors jobs. That's why I really wonder if in many cases these techs at the NMT program clinical sites are instructed to keep quiet about the fact that there are no jobs.

And if a prospective student tries to talk to one of the NM techs who happens to work at one the clinical sites for a NMT program, do you think they will be told the truth? If the tech told the prospective student about the fact that there are no jobs anywhere, how likely would that prospective student be to enroll in the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

44 months ago

Stitch, yes, the students in many sites are told the truth, as well as by the program director. Not every program director misleads. However, that still does not help. Just brows here, you will see many students say they will go through, and will hope for the best, they will do more than one modality, etc. Folks are naive and they do not believe when you tell them something like this. Lets just face it - everyone thinks that what you are telling them is maybe true, but they will not be the one jobless at the end of the school. Just like when we talk about cancer... everyone thinks that they will be spared this disease right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

what the f in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

been laid off since nov. 2010. have applied to more than 60 jobs. mostly out of state because there are no jobs in illinois. not one call for an interview.

we have clinical rotations at the hospital i used to work for. i would ask the student why on earth they chose this field considering the job prospects. they just look at you and say, "oh im going right into something else after this program". i think it makes them feel better. as for the instructor that would stop by every once in awhile. the instructor indicated that there is full disclosure regarding the dismal situation. But the kids still sigh up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

43 months ago

"What the f" and the instructor is correct... I know couple other instructors that tell exactly the same thing to the students but it's like talking into deaf ears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stitch in West Des Moines, Iowa

43 months ago

I believe you that there are program directors out there who tell thier students the truth about the job situation. I still think its wrong that these programs even exist right now simply because the only thing they can provide the student is a way to waste 1-4 years of thier life, go deeply into debt, and throw thier future away. I honestly don't know how these NMT program directors can live with themselves making thier living this way, even if they are honest with thier students about the job situation. Even if they do give full disclosure, that doesnt change the situation the students will find themselves in upon graduation. Saying "well, I told them there were no jobs" and "they knew what they were getting into" just doesnt cut it when the bottom line is the program directors are making $75K and up in this deceptive charade. Maybe its all technically legal but I still think its extremely immoral

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

43 months ago

Stitch if you think that is what should happen to the NMT programs, then all other educational programs that pump put students every year should close as well, no exceptions, but it will never happen. However, the SNM could speak for the NMT's and try to force some rules and help out the situation if they wanted to!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Yes. I'm 47, and it seems to me like 25+ years ago the Health Care field was the exact opposite of what it is now. Back then it seemed like so many good, honest, kind, compassionate people seemed to gravitate toward the health care field. You know what? That is STILL true today. The difference is, today something has changed at the very, very top. Maybe I'm wrong, but to me it seems as if the entire medical community (meaning the ones in power-the top decision makers) have sold thier souls to the devil. The medical community today has ONE priority and ONLY one....to make money..to make a profit...Nothing else matters. What makes me so sad is that these people (meaning the ones in power-the top decision makers) ARE ALREADY VERY RICH!!! But if they can find a way to abuse and exploit those who are weaker and poorer-(patients, NMT's, students, etc) then they will happily do so if it means they can become even MORE rich and gain even MORE power. I just don't remember it being this way 25-30 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bobchoda in Scott Air Force Base, Illinois

43 months ago

The situation now is so very sad compared to even 20 years ago when I started in Nuclear Medicine. Medicine is more business oriented today more than ever. There was a time when hospitals in this country were non for profit and usually run by charitable organizations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Honestly, my advice to him would be to cut his losses and immediately get out. There is NO future in imaging and the quicker he gets out the better, IMO. There are all kinds of ways he will be able to waste more money and more time by obtaining specialized designations after his RT boards, but IMO there is virtually 0% chance of him having a real career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bobchoda in Scott Air Force Base, Illinois

43 months ago

IMO Stitch is 100% correct!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ab in Pleasanton, California

43 months ago

I wish I was more fortunate and saw the light at end of the tunnel before going into NM. I have been an unemployed graduate for 2 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

disappointed in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

That is sad. I hope you find something soon. I'm still trying to find an interesting and fulfilling alternative. I can take some risk, but not unrealistic risks! I was so excited about NM.

43 months ago

I've seen a number of posts here stating that some NMT program directors and instructors are giving thier students "full disclosure" about the job situation. No matter how many times I hear that, I still don't believe it. They may SAY they do, and I do think some of them tell the prospective students that the current job market is very tight, but there's always going to be some deceptive angle to it. Something like 1) The example above "Oh, it's bad now, but by the time you get out in 2 yrs there will be tons of jobs again." (No Way!). Or 2) New technology right around the corner and aging population to spur demand and create NMT jobs (No Way!). Or 3) Sure, no jobs in our state but plenty of jobs if you're willing to relocate. (No Way!). Or 4) when the economy recovers the NMT jobs will return (No, they really will NOT return). and on and on....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

I was being told left and right to sign up for NMT and I'd have a job forever, easily pay off the loans, etc. But my gut told me the same people didn't seem to be doing all that well in their lives either, so why listen to them about this? I'm glad I didn't otherwise I'd have ruined my life! Now all I have is a stupid 5k car debt I owe that someone intimidated me into getting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

the real deal in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

I have 4 years experience. Laid off in nov 2010. I have applied to over 70 jobs. Less than 10 of the application where in Illinois because there are so few jobs. Now with that said, I have not gotten even one call back. Now consider that new graduates are just around the corner.

I would be interested in a brief roll call (description wise: years exp. and # of applications) of others in a similar situation.

43 months ago

Jason-I'm glad you DIDN'T ruin your life. Life is challenging enough without falling victim to this type of scam and seeing your future taken away from you. These NMT programs have absolutely NOTHING to do with teaching and preparing students for a career as a health care professional. Thier ONLY objective is to get people in the classroom seats and get those student loan checks sent directly to the school. Nothing else matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Middleville, Michigan

42 months ago

the real deal in Chicago, Illinois said: I have 4 years experience. Laid off in nov 2010. I have applied to over 70 jobs. Less than 10 of the application where in Illinois because there are so few jobs. Now with that said, I have not gotten even one call back. Now consider that new graduates are just around the corner.

I would be interested in a brief roll call (description wise: years exp. and # of applications) of others in a similar situation.

The real deal, Sorry that things are tough in Chicago. I had 5 years' of nukes experience and I took three years' off for seminary. When I left seminary and tried to get a nuke job again last summer, to my chagrin I saw that no jobs existed! I have given up on nukes and doubt that the field will ever recover any time soon (like at least five years). Somehow I managed to get a part time nuke job a couple days a week, but I can't find anything else, not even any call! So I am switching over to clinical lab science, a doing a second bachelor's - they are dying for people in labs! You may want to do the same. God bless you, Ryan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Middleville, Michigan

42 months ago

Stitch in West Des Moines, Iowa said: I've seen a number of posts here stating that some NMT program directors and instructors are giving thier students "full disclosure" about the job situation. No matter how many times I hear that, I still don't believe it. They may SAY they do, and I do think some of them tell the prospective students that the current job market is very tight, but there's always going to be some deceptive angle to it. Something like 1) The example above "Oh, it's bad now, but by the time you get out in 2 yrs there will be tons of jobs again." (No Way!). Or 2) New technology right around the corner and aging population to spur demand and create NMT jobs (No Way!). Or 3) Sure, no jobs in our state but plenty of jobs if you're willing to relocate. (No Way!). Or 4) when the economy recovers the NMT jobs will return (No, they really will NOT return). and on and on....

Stich, thanks for being realistic, man. I would love to see a nuke instructor tell his students, "By no means go into this field. You have a ZERO percent chance of getting a job." But of course they can't because then they would be unemployed, too. I have five years' experience and left the field for three years. I have given up on nukes and plan to go into labwork where there is a plethora of opportunity. It's horrible to go back to school but that's what I'll have to do. Nukes is dead.

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware

42 months ago

Hi
I am a Nuclear Medicine Program director and I assure you there are jobs out there. Look on Indeed.com, new job posting are listed every single day. Many people on this forum whine and they don't want to go out and look for a job. I know this is a though time but you need to do more and educate yourself for better future. I will continue to recruit students and tell them there will always be jobs in Nuclear Medicine, it just depends on the individual and whether they are willing to move. Our program are fill to capacity every year and they will continue to fill because this is a demanding field with very bright future. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

42 months ago

jiggish007 in Newark, Delaware said: Hi
Our program are fill to capacity every year and they will continue to fill because this is a demanding field with very bright future. Good Luck
Shouldn't that be written "Our program is filled?"

Could give us the name of your schools please? I think that as a program director, since you have come so far to check out this site, you should do really follow the advertisements on here and see if those ads are real or most of them no longer exist, but also count how many of them are PRN. Would you recommend if your child was graduating now from NMT to relocated based on a PRN offer at a single hospital?

It is unreal that you have the guts to come here and make such a post!!! Disrespectful is rather understatement!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

isn't that rich!! in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

That program director can't even write properly!!! Things are starting to make sense now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

jiggish007,
One reason that you continue to recruit students and tell them there will always be jobs in Nuclear Medicine is the same reason all people in your position do: You know that if you didn't keep putting new students into your program, then you yourself would be forced to go out and try to find a full time job as an NMT. You know that these jobs don't exist and haven't existed for 5+ years. Relocating "to where the NMT jobs are" is just another one of the many lies told by your kind to get students to sign up and throw thier futures away. None of this is a mystery to you. As I stated above, the "relocating" lie is one of the more common lies being used. Here's a sampling: 1) "Oh, it's bad now, but by the time you get out in 2 yrs there will be tons of jobs again." (No Way!). Or 2) New technology right around the corner and aging population to spur demand and create NMT jobs (No Way!). Or 3) Sure, no jobs in our state but plenty of jobs if you're willing to relocate. (No Way!). Or 4) when the economy recovers the NMT jobs will return (No, they really will NOT return)...and on and on...I'm not trying to go out of my way to sound disrespectfull to you but I've seen way too many good people get hurt by this scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington

42 months ago

I am a Nuclear Medicine Program director and I assure you there are jobs out there. Look on Indeed.com, new job posting are listed every single day. Many people on this forum whine and they don't want to go out and look for a job. I know this is a though time but you need to do more and educate yourself for better future. I will continue to recruit students and tell them there will always be jobs in Nuclear Medicine, it just depends on the individual and whether they are willing to move. Our program are fill to capacity every year and they will continue to fill because this is a demanding field with very bright future. Good Luck

"Assure", you say? Tell me: if a prospective should trust your claims & endeavor to enroll in your program (via which you acquire a paycheck), how would you care to back up this assertion of yours such that, should the prospective student not find gainful employment opportunities, they could reclaim their fees if your claim doe snot bear fruit? After all, you do *guarantee* your claims, don't you? You *will* back up your assurance, won't you? It's not just cheap talk now, is it?

I haver no doubt that you, "...will continue to recruit students and tell them there will always be jobs in Nuclear Medicine". That is, after all, how you get your money - by selling your program. I must comend you for displaying your honest intentions & protraying the typical cliche NMT school ad campiagn hype here on the board, along with your insistence to push your program with (false) claims of jobs for everybody (right around the corner). It adequately demonstrates the conscientiously bankrupt, greed-driven nature of NMT program proponents.

Any prospective student who sees this for what it is & yet still chooses to go down this path deserves the misery that they are signing on for. Don't say you weren't warned.

Anonymous in Clermont, Florida

42 months ago

It's ironic, you are saying there are plenty of jobs for Nuclear Medicine Technologists and you are telling students about our career field the work being plentiful, I was looking at other forums (you know the one about being a Pacs Administrator) and you commented that you are a Nuclear Medicine Technologist looking for work and you are trying to get into being a Pacs Administrator...Just be a little more honest with your students that the work is not there for Nuclear Medicine Techs. I have 16 years experience and have been reduced to part time. There is no other work out there. I think you know that but you don't want to lose your job like the rest of us...

42 months ago

Anonymous in Clermont, Florida said: It's ironic, you are saying there are plenty of jobs for Nuclear Medicine Technologists and you are telling students about our career field the work being plentiful, I was looking at other forums (you know the one about being a Pacs Administrator) and you commented that you are a Nuclear Medicine Technologist looking for work and you are trying to get into being a Pacs Administrator...Just be a little more honest with your students that the work is not there for Nuclear Medicine Techs. I have 16 years experience and have been reduced to part time. There is no other work out there. I think you know that but you don't want to lose your job like the rest of us...

Here are your exact words....

"Hi

I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist who is considering becoming a PACS administrator. I just can't find anything in Nuclear and the field is extremely saturated. I know the only program that offer PACS degree that is Ogechee Technical Institute in Satesboro, GA. Does anyone know about this program?"

Bottom line....

BE HONEST WITH YOUR STUDENTS!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Anonymous in Clermont, Florida said: Here are your exact words....

"Hi

I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist who is considering becoming a PACS administrator. I just can't find anything in Nuclear and the field is extremely saturated. I know the only program that offer PACS degree that is Ogechee Technical Institute in Satesboro, GA. Does anyone know about this program?"

Bottom line....

BE HONEST WITH YOUR STUDENTS!!!

The ownage is strong with this one...

Solley in Chicago

42 months ago

Wow............ Anonymous you ought to be a detective!

42 months ago

I just stumbled upon it. People should be careful to what they say...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonwalker in Grove, Oklahoma

42 months ago

more from jiggish007

"How is the Dosimetry field. Also what is the typical salary? I am going to dosimery school."

"I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist thinking about going to Jefferson University in philadelphia for Echo. What did you think about the program and how is the job market?"

"I am a nuclear medicine technologist trying to get into ct and mri because of dead nuclear medicine field. How is the job market and future for ct/mri?"

"No, But it doesn't matter where to went to school. Nuclear Medicine Field is dead anyway. So many graduates every year and No jobs makes for a bad career."

just a few of many

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Anonymous in Clermont, Florida said: I just stumbled upon it. People should be careful to what they say...

People should be honest. This guy is pathetic. He's hitting up every other job forum here on indeed.com for advise & tips, looking to eject, while simultaneously pitching his NM program, openly announcing here that he's going to keep lying to prospective students. One of the boldest & most blatant exmaples of hypocrisy I've ever seen. It can't be any clearer just how big of a scam this field has been turned into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

42 months ago

Jonwalker in Grove, Oklahoma said: more from jiggish007

"How is the Dosimetry field. Also what is the typical salary? I am going to dosimery school."

"I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist thinking about going to Jefferson University in philadelphia for Echo. What did you think about the program and how is the job market?"

"I am a nuclear medicine technologist trying to get into ct and mri because of dead nuclear medicine field. How is the job market and future for ct/mri?"

"No, But it doesn't matter where to went to school. Nuclear Medicine Field is dead anyway. So many graduates every year and No jobs makes for a bad career."

just a few of many

Just unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This rendered me speechless and I am not sure I'll be able to talk for another day or two, but tomorrow have a PPP. I am not so much shocked, as much as I am just sick from that kind of folks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jiggish in Newark, New Jersey

42 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ADH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

You could not be more wrong. Most of the job posts are duplicates or for PRN only. Here is what the Bureau of Labor and Statistics says:
"In spite of growth in nuclear medicine, the number of openings into the occupation each year will be relatively low. Job competition will be keen because the supply of properly trained nuclear medicine technologists is expected to exceed the number of job openings for technologists. Technologists who have training in multiple diagnostic methods, such as radiologic technology and diagnostic medical sonography, or in nuclear cardiology, should have the best prospects."

Quit lying to yourself and your students!

Also, any students/recent grads who have been misled by unscrupulous people like this program director from Newark need to contact the JRCNMT. They will investigate your complaints.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ADH in Garland, Texas

42 months ago

Please contact the JRCNMT and file a complaint if you have been misled by a school about job prospects in nuc med.

If anyone still doubts that there are no jobs, read this:

www.radsciences.com/docs/rsgcomp2009.pdf

It says that there is no longer a shortage of rad techs(nuc med, mri, ct, xray, etc) in the U.S. There were 620 accredited programs for various rad tech degrees in 2003 and today there are 735!

The entire report is very enlightening and comprehensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anishp403 in Newark, Delaware

42 months ago

What are Nuclear Medicine Technologist supposed to do now. Can' do nursing since there are thousands of accredited nursing program and they will be in a similar situation in few year, CT, MRI, X-ray is saturated. What are viable options for Nuc. Med.

WheelSpin in Everett, Washington

42 months ago

anishp403 in Newark, Delaware said: What are Nuclear Medicine Technologist supposed to do now. Can' do nursing since there are thousands of accredited nursing program and they will be in a similar situation in few year, CT, MRI, X-ray is saturated. What are viable options for Nuc. Med.

Stay out of HC. The oversupply of applicants alone paints a bleak picture. Also, the previously forecasted "generational turnover" that was supposed to ensue will be forestalled by the economy & consequential depletion of retirement investment accounts.

Finally, carefully investigate *any* profession before committing to pursue it. Bypass the schools, & go straight to people actually with experience in the field, & have the guts to listen to them, even if they don't tell a soothing tale. As clearly demonstrated by individuals like "jiggish007", there's a lot of scam in colleges. Programs have 1 goal, & 1 goal only: recruit, recruit, recruit; numbers = $$$. It's all that matters. With some majors, the results are mutually beneficial for both students & the programs. With other majors, only the program benefits. NM is ripe with "jiggish007" types, ready & willing to flat out tell a lie to separate you from your money; colleges are ripe with phoney, dead-end programs.

Don't be a pollyanna dreamer. Be smart & skeptical. Be realistic in setting goals, & be willing to adapt to the (market) circumstances. Cross-check multiple sources to ensure that the information about a field/profession is consistent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in New Baltimore, Michigan

41 months ago

I was just at the ACC.11 - the American College of Cardiology, and they had job postings in the middle east for Nuclear technologist on a one year contract, boat loads of money, 8wks vacation and a house and maid. i would look into that - not the first choice, but a choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in New Baltimore, Michigan

41 months ago

I want to say with my last comment, the boat loads of money, is what they mentioned.... make sure you investigate before signing any contract.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cody in Fresno, California

41 months ago

The local Community College has CLOSED its radiology,Nuclear Medicine, and Nursing programs for 4 years due to the low employment rates of its students. (started this semester of 2011) Finally a community college is being responsible!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Solley in Chicago

41 months ago

Cody in Fresno, California said: The local Community College has CLOSED its radiology,Nuclear Medicine, and Nursing programs for 4 years due to the low employment rates of its students. (started this semester of 2011) Finally a community college is being responsible!
It was about time. Lets see how many other state cuts will follow this one?! I hope soon the state programs realize that those educational programs are not needed as much anymore.

41 months ago

Woo hoo, it's about time!!!

Solley in Chicago

41 months ago

I wonder if we all write to our local state education board, if this will reflect on the states stop sponsoring the community college programs?! What do you think? This way if the state gives no $ for the programs, they will have to close, no other way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ADH in Garland, Texas

41 months ago

Solley in Chicago said: I wonder if we all write to our local state education board, if this will reflect on the states stop sponsoring the community college programs?! What do you think? This way if the state gives no $ for the programs, they will have to close, no other way!

I think now that the "powers that be" like the Bureau of Labor and Statistics have finally realized the fact that the future in nuc med is not so great, that many schools will be closing.

I know UAMS in Little Rock, one of the biggest problems in my opinion, has closed its Shreveport location. If they'll just close their location here and in all other states in which they operate except AR, things might get better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonwalker in Grove, Oklahoma

41 months ago

ADH in Garland, Texas said: I think now that the "powers that be" like the Bureau of Labor and Statistics have finally realized the fact that the future in nuc med is not so great, that many schools will be closing.

I know UAMS in Little Rock, one of the biggest problems in my opinion, has closed its Shreveport location. If they'll just close their location here and in all other states in which they operate except AR, things might get better.

I will say they did contribute to the overall problem, but they offer a BS with the program and its a pretty good program. I was a grad of the UAMS program before they went distance. The reason they went distance, I feel, was because they saturated the AR market (this was 15 years ago) with techs. Both UAMS and Babtist in Little rock put out about 5 to 8 grads a year, each.

I think the biggest problem comes from these short non certified classes that are pumping out alot of of cheap labor. Get rid of these greedy fly-by-night programs and we can turn this around. But leave the BS programs alone. IMO

On a side note, I went to the SWC meeting in OKC in April. The, SNM had one speaker set to talk about the Job trends in NM. I waited with baited breath to see if they were gonna finally talk about the Job problem. It was an hour long talk. They spent 50 min talking about how NM physicians are being screwed by radiologist and about 5 min saying nm techs are fine, and they even put some 7 year old numbers up to support thier view. We still being ignored by the SNM about this problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

WheelSpin

41 months ago

That's because it's the MD's that bring in the patient traffic/business. Tech's fill the "support" role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ADH in Garland, Texas

41 months ago

Jonwalker in Grove, Oklahoma said: I will say they did contribute to the overall problem, but they offer a BS with the program and its a pretty good program. I was a grad of the UAMS program before they went distance. The reason they went distance, I feel, was because they saturated the AR market (this was 15 years ago) with techs. Both UAMS and Babtist in Little rock put out about 5 to 8 grads a year, each.

I think the biggest problem comes from these short non certified classes that are pumping out alot of of cheap labor. Get rid of these greedy fly-by-night programs and we can turn this around. But leave the BS programs alone. IMO

On a side note, I went to the SWC meeting in OKC in April. The, SNM had one speaker set to talk about the Job trends in NM. I waited with baited breath to see if they were gonna finally talk about the Job problem. It was an hour long talk. They spent 50 min talking about how NM physicians are being screwed by radiologist and about 5 min saying nm techs are fine, and they even put some 7 year old numbers up to support thier view. We still being ignored by the SNM about this problem.

I think the UAMS program is a decent program. They are just too greedy. Having a location in Little Rock is enough.

There are far too many programs and only once word gets around that the trend is bleak, things will settle down. It's taking far too long, though. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics took forever to change their forecasts.

There's no real way to get rid of the diploma mills and schools that have satellites all over like UAMS does. If they are actually lying to students, they can be reported and might get a slap on the wrist.

I wish I had attended that SWC meeting. I would have stood up and quoted from the Bureau of Labor and Statistics and also mentioned all the names of unemployed techs that I personally know. Then I'd have mentioned the dozens that I know of through other people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.