How can we govern the number of nuc med students graduating nuc med programs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

lets stop fighting each other and actually tackle the root of our problems, the SCHOOLS! who governs how many students get accepted anyway? We dedicated our lives to the practice of nuclear medicine and this is how we get treated? Am i the only one that thinks that it is absurd for us to let licensed in the profession and be forced to get trained in MRI as an alternative? This is ridiculous! nothing is gonna change unless something gets done about this. These private offices are enjoying the competition of cheap labor. Its basic supply and demand. And they have the gaul to make the profession a BS w/o any promise of a job! God forbid you went to a 20G/yr school, you would be 80G in debt making $20/hr if you are even fortunate enough to find a job. If anyone has a clue how to get this started, don't you think now is the time to act? Serious inquiries only, please. i don't need to remind you of the consequences if we don't do this....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

75 months ago

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York said: lets stop fighting each other and actually tackle the root of our problems, the SCHOOLS! who governs how many students get accepted anyway? We dedicated our lives to the practice of nuclear medicine and this is how we get treated? Am i the only one that thinks that it is absurd for us to let licensed in the profession and be forced to get trained in MRI as an alternative? This is ridiculous! nothing is gonna change unless something gets done about this. These private offices are enjoying the competition of cheap labor. Its basic supply and demand. And they have the gaul to make the profession a BS w/o any promise of a job! God forbid you went to a 20G/yr school, you would be 80G in debt making $20/hr if you are even fortunate enough to find a job. If anyone has a clue how to get this started, don't you think now is the time to act? Serious inquiries only, please. i don't need to remind you of the consequences if we don't do this....

The schools decide how many students to accept based on the number of the clinical sites. There is a limit of how many students can be in either clinical site, and it is up to the clinical sites to say they can not/do not want to take upon the students. Do you see an established clinical site saying they do not want students? However, if all the techs in those clinical sites say "we do not want students", well... that will help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Everything you just said I said in these forums 2 months ago...I'll address relocation here, it's just a carrot the schools dangle in front of the eager students. Just think logically for a moment the school is HERE and they have students rotating through their hospital, they know these students, why would they go out of state and hire a recent grad they don't know? If you don't have at least 5 years of experience and something to offer, good luck relocating. I am finally FT. BUT I'm multi-modality, I have a B.S and over 10 years of experience and it took me almost 6 months to find a FT job! Thats a shame in my opinion. I am also making less money than I did 5 years ago...If I knew how to stop the schools believe me I would have done it 6 months ago..

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

75 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: Everything you just said I said in these forums 2 months ago...I'll address relocation here, it's just a carrot the schools dangle in front of the eager students. Just think logically for a moment the school is HERE and they have students rotating through their hospital, they know these students, why would they go out of state and hire a recent grad they don't know? If you don't have at least 5 years of experience and something to offer, good luck relocating. I am finally FT. BUT I'm multi-modality, I have a B.S and over 10 years of experience and it took me almost 6 months to find a FT job! Thats a shame in my opinion. I am also making less money than I did 5 years ago...If I knew how to stop the schools believe me I would have done it 6 months ago..

Congratulations Marie! Yep, salaries are falling down and fast...

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Congratulations Marie! Yep, salaries are falling down and fast...

Thanks Saly, yes the salaries are falling fast...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

t in Westfield, Massachusetts

25 months ago

gamma ray in Brooklyn, New York said: lets stop fighting each other and actually tackle the root of our problems, the SCHOOLS! who governs how many students get accepted anyway? We dedicated our lives to the practice of nuclear medicine and this is how we get treated? Am i the only one that thinks that it is absurd for us to let licensed in the profession and be forced to get trained in MRI as an alternative? This is ridiculous! nothing is gonna change unless something gets done about this. These private offices are enjoying the competition of cheap labor . Its basic supply and demand. And they have the gaul to make the profession a BS w/o any promise of a job! God forbid you went to a 20G/yr school, you would be 80G in debt making $20/ hr if you are even fortunate enough to find a job. If anyone has a clue how to get this started, don't you think now is the time to act? Serious inquiries only, please. i don't need to remind you of the consequences if we don't do this....

One way to control sdudent enrollment is for the NMTCB and Arrt to set quotas. Basicly tell each school that they have an set allotment of slots for new grads to register for the boards each year,if they they go over those students will have to wait till next year. Schools will then be forced to reduce enrollments in future years in order to allow past gradutes to qualify. Schools can also pull unused slots foward (max 2 yr) or sell to other schools if necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.