What is Happening to our Profession?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 314)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

ljm in Longview, Texas

77 months ago

I have been a technologist over 25 years. There are no JOBS!! The schools are putting out two many students, which seems to be a money maker for the schools. Why isn't the Society of Nuclear Medicine, Tech section, doing something? I have paid my dues and haven't got much back from them over the years. I agree we tech's need to do something. In the past this was a very good profession and hopefully it will continue to be in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I totally agree. Way too many schools pumping out new grads every year. In my area alone, there are 3 schools, so not many jobs at all around here. I too have been a technologist for over 20 years and have great experience as a clinical coordinator, apps specialist for Siemens, as well as many years spent working in a major hospital while doing research on the side. I cannot find a job let alone one that is willing to pay very much. Why hire someone with experience when they can hire a new grad and start them at the bottom of the pay scale??
It is going to be a mandatory 4 year degree in a few years but that will not effect the job situation around here since all three are 4 year degrees anyway.
Too bad that we don't have all of the options that nursing has.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Port Orange, Florida

77 months ago

You guys are scaring me. I'm in Nuc med school now and I think I want to change to dental school. All I heard before signing up for this was "go to Nuc Med school, you get paid really well and there are a plethora of jobs available." Is this not the case anymore for Florida? I would think Florida over most other states would have lots of opportunity. Please somebody give me some credible feedback!! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

Feedback in my opinion would be to apply to dental school. I've been in the Nuc field for over 20 years and have never seen the job market as bad as it is right now. Too many schools/programs pumping out grads for the limited amount of positions available, not only in Fl. but all over the country.
As for the salary, it becomes a matter of supply and demand. In past years, pay scales were higher since there were a limited amount of techs to pull from, but now that there are more techs than jobs of course the pay rate is lower.
I have years of experience in not only nuclear medicine but also as an Applications Specialist for Phillips, a clinical instructor for a Nuclear Med program and still my pay rate is slightly above $24.00/hr. When I graduated in 1987 my starting pay was $19/hr. Not much of an increase in 20 years. I guess I should have remained with Phillips but way too much travel involved.
Please consider dental school. If I had to do it over again, I would surely chose a different field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Yonkers, New York

77 months ago

Same here, go to Dental school. sorry but I'm just being honest. Nuclear is down right now. In a few years it will be back but you will need Pet, CT, MRI and X-ray to have a competitive edge. Things have changed so much within nuclear; I'm not sure if x-ray techs and nuc med techs are going to continue to merge. With Dental school you have more opportunities and the field isnt as cyclical. Nursing is another alternative...Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lina in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

I will give yuo the same aadivise as my NMT co-workers above. Go to dental school. You will have more options on finding a job and the pay is better. I've been in the Nuc Med field for over 4 years. The job market is so thight, that some hospitals in the area are not even filling their openings if they have any FT openings come up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Yorktown, Virginia

77 months ago

Cynthia in Yonkers, New York said: Same here, go to Dental school. sorry but I'm just being honest. Nuclear is down right now. In a few years it will be back but you will need Pet, CT, MRI and X-ray to have a competitive edge. Things have changed so much within nuclear; I'm not sure if x-ray techs and nuc med techs are going to continue to merge. With Dental school you have more opportunities and the field isnt as cyclical. Nursing is another alternative...Good luck

I am xray, NM, PET/CT, diag. CT, and cardiac NM...still no jobs to be had...sorry to bust the bubble. Too many schools shoving the techs out, soon we'll be a dime a dozen. If your young and can get a new career, go for it...otherwise some of us may be scanning groceries at the local grocers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Dallas, Texas

77 months ago

about to graduate NMT school, two years ago there were TONS of jobs it seemed like...

now it's crazy...I'm a little worried...good thing I have my RT(R) cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina

76 months ago

ljm in Longview, Texas said: I have been a technologist over 25 years. There are no JOBS!! The schools are putting out two many students, which seems to be a money maker for the schools. Why isn't the Society of Nuclear Medicine, Tech section, doing something? I have paid my dues and haven't got much back from them over the years. I agree we tech's need to do something. In the past this was a very good profession and hopefully it will continue to be in the future.[/QUOTE

It is your choice to pay the SNM dues. It is useless to keep paying their fees. You do not get anything from them, on top of that there are some folks in the SNM that are very corrupted. Why support such an organization? There are no real benefits from being a SNM member. You can get all of your CE’s from the nuclear pharmacy that you use or from your local chapter meetings, and it is free or for less. Their publications for the NMT’s are not even worth reading. As to our job situation, it is getting worse by the day! There are hardly any job openings nationwide, and even if you find some, the employers are not in a hurry to hire, or they have a job freeze. The salary has gone down dramatically, our duties have increased, and where are we going to end up soon. Pick up any of the radiology magazines and see how many openings are there! Go on the web and look on the agencies web sites… there are hardly any openings for NMT’s!!! So, yes… your question why pay SNM dues is very legitimate, and the answers is you do not have to. Why pay for something that you do not get anything from it?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Saint Paul, Minnesota

76 months ago

I agree with everyone else, there are too many schools cranking out the students here in MN-there are 4 schools in this area, I thought it was just a midwest problem, I am finding out it is not. I am certified in PET/Nuke Cardiology/NMTCB/XRY Operator with a bachelor's degree, and I can't find a job either!! This WAS an excellent field when I first started, what can we do as an organization??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

NMTNortheast in Concord, New Hampshire

76 months ago

Too many students.

Low turnover.

Loss of scans to other modalities.

Medicare being choosier in critera for ordering scans.

Hospitals cutting budgets due to poor medicare and medicaid reimbursements.

Hospitals requiring more and more out of techs instead of hiring more techs. Its almost like being a pseudo nurse with a fraction of the pay.

Oh and the SNM is too lax about "holding the line" when it comes to turf wars. THEY GAVE UP MRI. It used to be called Nuclear magnetic resonance imaging for a reason. They had the opportunity to add it into our turf but they decided not too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GOING MENTAL in Forest City, North Carolina

76 months ago

SAME HERE IN NC AND SC, NO NUC JOBS. IM STUCK AT A HOSPITAL THAT HAS CUT MY HRS FROM 40 PER WEEK TO NOW IM LUCKY IF I GET 18 HRS A WEEK. IM STRESSED TO THE MAX, NO MONEY COMING IN, AND DRAINING SAVINGS. DONT WANT TO LOSE MY HOUSE, THAT WOULD DEMOLISH MY CREDIT THAT I HAVE WORKED SO HARD FOR, FOR OVER 20 YRS NOW. TRIED EVEN TRAVEL AGENCIES, FAR AND FEW BETWEEN NUC OPENINGS. MARKET IS POOR FOR SELLING HOMES RIGHT NOW. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME?? I WAS GOING BACK TO SCHOOL FOR ANOTHER DEGREE, BUT THE HOSPITAL HAS DECIDED TO STAGER AND MAKE US ROTATE SHIFTS TO CUT DOWN ON TOTAL HRS. SO, I JUST LOST ANOTHER 1000.00 DOLLARS TUITION. I HAD TO DROP CLASSES 2 WEEKS BEFORE FINISHED. NOT TO MENTION, NOW I HAVE ANOTHER BILL TO PAY, MY COLLEGE LOAN (WHAT A WASTE). PLEASE ANY INFO OR ADVICE. I CANT EVEN AFFORD TO GO TO DOC NOW, AND GET MEDS I SO DESPIRATELY NEED. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR LISTENING AND ANY HELP. I HOPE THE REST OF YOU ARE NOT GOING THROUGH WHAT I AM NOW. IF ANY INFO PLEASE RESPOND TO ME AT NMTSPARKS@HOTMAIL.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rdoactv in Newport News, Virginia

76 months ago

Wish I knew what to tell ya Sparks. I'm a single mom, who struggled hard to get into my career, and loved what I did. Now, no income, no insurance for my kid and looking at menial jobs that don't pay and won't hire me because I'm "over qualified". Believe me, I've hit rock bottom and my frame of mind has not been a good one lately. I'm so angry at wasting the last 6 years of my life and promising my kid life was going to be better...now, I'm back to floundering and telling my kid I can't afford to buy him a pack of baseball cards...we're all in the same boat. I was going to go back to school, but how am I supposed to pay for that. SNM needs to do something for all the money we've paid over the years..Medicare..their poor reimbursment is killing us...recession? Let me count the reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

d in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

I think everyone needs to relax. Goodness...talk about pity party. There are jobs, but you have to look hard. There is always turnover somewhere. Give it a few years things will flop back over like they did in the past...

You have to remember 2 years ago and there were jobs filling the advance magazine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

monica in Randolph, New Jersey

75 months ago

well, I graduated about two years ago and jobs were fading from advance very fast. Believe me, I looked . I don't think things will flop back over . Yes, schools will close and we may have less competition in the marketplace, but the number of studies that nuclear medicine is doing has gone way , way down. At least that is what I am seeing. Think of how many studies have been lost to CT? Now CTA is in all probability going to cut the amount of stress tests down in a big way. I see this already happening in NJ. I have been looking for a full time job since I graduated and have found nothing. Luckily, I work per diem but again, that is all related to the amount of work the department has so many days, I am called at 5:30 the night before and told I am not needed. I love the work but Its time to start looking at other areas in healthcare for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

SHAWN DRAYTON in Valdosta, Georgia

74 months ago

Rdoactv in Newport News, Virginia said: Wish I knew what to tell ya Sparks. I'm a single mom, who struggled hard to get into my career, and loved what I did. Now, no income, no insurance for my kid and looking at menial jobs that don't pay and won't hire me because I'm "over qualified". Believe me, I've hit rock bottom and my frame of mind has not been a good one lately. I'm so angry at wasting the last 6 years of my life and promising my kid life was going to be better...now, I'm back to floundering and telling my kid I can't afford to buy him a pack of baseball cards...we're all in the same boat. I was going to go back to school, but how am I supposed to pay for that. SNM needs to do something for all the money we've paid over the years..Medicare..their poor reimbursment is killing us...recession? Let me count the reasons.

You can erase this now because you've found a job! I was browsing and found this by accident. You will do well as always.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

74 months ago

John in Port Orange, Florida said: You guys are scaring me. I'm in Nuc med school now and I think I want to change to dental school. All I heard before signing up for this was "go to Nuc Med school, you get paid really well and there are a plethora of jobs available." Is this not the case anymore for Florida? I would think Florida over most other states would have lots of opportunity. Please somebody give me some credible feedback!! Thanks

Change to dental school. You would be better off...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Grand Rapids, Michigan

74 months ago

I just graduated from NM school last month and there are no jobs out there. I apply to everything I see and never hear back from anyone becaue I have no experience. This was my 2nd degree so now I have even more student loans and no way to pay them! Thank god I don't have kids but I can't support myself and am having to move back in with my parents. I don't want to start another degree all over again and in 2 years find out no one is needed in that field either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go to school for that will actually be in demand by the time I finish?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Yonkers, New York

74 months ago

Kristina in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I just graduated from NM school last month and there are no jobs out there. I apply to everything I see and never hear back from anyone becaue I have no experience. This was my 2nd degree so now I have even more student loans and no way to pay them! Thank god I don't have kids but I can't support myself and am having to move back in with my parents. I don't want to start another degree all over again and in 2 years find out no one is needed in that field either. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go to school for that will actually be in demand by the time I finish?

Hi Kristina, I feel your pain. Luckily when I graduated four years ago, there were jobs galore and I had my pick of location, schedule, etc. Two years later, I was laid off. I am a former teacher and so I have made the decision to leave NM and return to teaching, which I've always loved; however, before I made the decision, I considered nursing. I decided against it only because I have a family and don't want a demanding student schedule at this stage in my life and also because I'm no longer in my 30/40's. If I were younger and didn't have a special needs child to consider, I would absolutely go for nursing.
IMHO, nursing is the way to go. Nurses are and will always be in extremely high demand and it is a field with so many opportunities and specialties: schools, camps, imaging centers, private patients of any and all ages, hospitals, doctor's offices, night work, and weekends, teaching etc and you can take it with you anywhere in the states (and with some modifications, the world)The pay is great, hospitals etc are desperate, you work 3 twelve hour shifts and your off 4 days. Think about it and good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

a in Tyler, Texas

74 months ago

there are jobs out there, keep looking...I had 3 interviews within 2 weeks before I got my job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Boca Raton, Florida

74 months ago

Most job seekers may need to consider relocating in order to find a job. You were very lucky!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CHARLES Z. ORR

73 months ago

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A TRAVEL OR A PERM POSITION SINCE NOV OF 2007. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING YET. I AM REGISTERED WITH 30 TEMP AGENCIES AND 25 GOV AGENCIES. WHENEVER A POSITION DOES OPEN, THERE ARE 30-50 PEOPLE TRYING TO GET IT. I HAVE 16YRS OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE EXPERIENCE AND I NEVER EXPECTED THE MARKET TO BE LIKE THIS. I'M ON THE VERGE OF LOSING MY HOUSE AND EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE BUILD THE PAST 15 YRS. I AM WILLING TO GO ANYWHERE FOR A JOB. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HANG IN THERE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

CHARLES Z. ORR said: I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A TRAVEL OR A PERM POSITION SINCE NOV OF 2007. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING YET. I AM REGISTERED WITH 30 TEMP AGENCIES AND 25 GOV AGENCIES. WHENEVER A POSITION DOES OPEN, THERE ARE 30-50 PEOPLE TRYING TO GET IT. I HAVE 16YRS OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE EXPERIENCE AND I NEVER EXPECTED THE MARKET TO BE LIKE THIS. I'M ON THE VERGE OF LOSING MY HOUSE AND EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE BUILD THE PAST 15 YRS. I AM WILLING TO GO ANYWHERE FOR A JOB. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HANG IN THERE.

Charles I'm in the same boat your in. I am fortunate that my Dad is gonna move in with me so I won't lose my house. There are NO jobs in Houston. I'm going to take the one semester CT course. Although, I don't know how much that is going to help, most of the hospitals are asking for experience. I've applied for a PRN job, hopefully they can keep busy enough to put food on the table. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Saint Paul, Minnesota

73 months ago

I know exactly how you are feeling, its the same here in Minnesota. I am now in my mid 40's scrambling to get whatever "scraps" I can get. The last job I interviewed for there were 250 applicants, what is happening to our profession!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Boca Raton, Florida

73 months ago

CHARLES Z. ORR said: I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A TRAVEL OR A PERM POSITION SINCE NOV OF 2007. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING YET. I AM REGISTERED WITH 30 TEMP AGENCIES AND 25 GOV AGENCIES. WHENEVER A POSITION DOES OPEN, THERE ARE 30-50 PEOPLE TRYING TO GET IT. I HAVE 16YRS OF NUCLEAR MEDICINE EXPERIENCE AND I NEVER EXPECTED THE MARKET TO BE LIKE THIS. I'M ON THE VERGE OF LOSING MY HOUSE AND EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE BUILD THE PAST 15 YRS. I AM WILLING TO GO ANYWHERE FOR A JOB. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN HANG IN THERE.

Charles,
If you are willing to maove to Pittsburgh, a company named Diagnostic Staffing Services may be hiring. They are a staffing service (obviously) who have permanent private practice nuclear cardiology accounts all over the city and tri state area in which they supply Nuclear Techs to. They offer very fair pay and benefits. Here is the link to their website if you are interested.

www.tomaykogroup.com/staffing.htm

Just copy and paste it into your browser.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

Connie in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I know exactly how you are feeling, its the same here in Minnesota. I am now in my mid 40's scrambling to get whatever "scraps" I can get. The last job I interviewed for there were 250 applicants, what is happening to our profession!!

Connie there are just too many schools, dumping out too many students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CHARLES Z. ORR

73 months ago

I DON'T WANT TO TRAVEL AWAY FROM MY FAMILY, BUT I HAVE NO CHOICE. EVEN THE TRAVELING JOBS ARE VERY LIMITED. THE MARKET NEEDS TO OPEN UP. I REDID MY RESUME AND JUICED IT UP. ADDED ALL THE POSITIIVE AND HOW I IMPROVED THE DEPARTMENT. THE COMPETITION FOR A JOB IS SOMETHING ELSE. AFTER FOUR MONTHS OF LOOKING FOR A JOB, I FEEL LIKE THIS WILL TAKE MUCH LONGER TO SECURE ONE. TIME IS MONEY THAT I DON'T HAVE. GOOD LUCK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CHARLES Z. ORR

73 months ago

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I WILL CHECK IT OUT. I HAVE TO GO WHERE THE JOBS ARE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Gainesville, Florida

73 months ago

Switch if your not too far into it! All the jobs in Florida are part time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bizznonya in Texas

73 months ago

Holly in Kingwood, Texas said: Charles I'm in the same boat your in. I am fortunate that my Dad is gonna move in with me so I won't lose my house. There are NO jobs in Houston. I'm going to take the one semester CT course. Although, I don't know how much that is going to help, most of the hospitals are asking for experience. I've applied for a PRN job, hopefully they can keep busy enough to put food on the table. Good Luck

Good luck with that Holly. If you are willing to be flexible on your schedule, you might have some luck with CT.....some hospitals run them 24/7.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

bizznonya in Texas said:

Well bizznonya I have hope and I'm willing to be as flexible as I have to be. I never expected to be laid-off...but here I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bizznonya in Texas

73 months ago

Holly in Kingwood, Texas said: Well bizznonya I have hope and I'm willing to be as flexible as I have to be. I never expected to be laid-off...but here I am.

I am an MRI/CT tech myself. The funny thing is, I have been interested in trying to get into nuc med for years, and maybe it was for the best that I didn't from what I am reading on the board here. The basic CT exams don't really take that long to learn, so if somebody will give you a chance you can be off and running. You might wind up running into the old turf war thing though...as most CT techs come from an x-ray background and will tend to take care of their own so to speak when looking to hire somebody.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

bizznonya in Texas said:

I know most CT tech's are X-ray, and I understand the turf wars. I have 6 years of PET/CT experience already and prefer to stay in that, or at the very least nuc med which was what I went to school for. What really needs to happen is the schools need to stop graduating too many students for too few jobs. The market needs to catch up some how...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bryant in Simi Valley, California

73 months ago

Come to southern california...

I run a nuc med company servicing three hospital. I swear the people I hire are the worst I've seen.. but I have not choice to hire them. I need someone.. anyone...

Sometimes I really doubt they graduated from any real program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

well...there's no information out there that would tell the students otherwise... unfortunately I gotta make a decision now. Will it get better in 2 year due to new advancements? I don't want to reject the program only to find out there's an abundance of jobs due to a new law or for some reason insurance companies prefer nuc diagnoses over others. hmm what to do.. If I would get into another program, I would have to wait another year and that's also a guessing game. I got rejected from radiation therapy school already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

jnm.snmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/49/7/26N

if the care bill does come through, it can change the whole game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

john in Houston, Texas said: well...there's no information out there that would tell the students otherwise... unfortunately I gotta make a decision now. Will it get better in 2 year due to new advancements? I don't want to reject the program only to find out there's an abundance of jobs due to a new law or for some reason insurance companies prefer nuc diagnoses over others. hmm what to do.. If I would get into another program, I would have to wait another year and that's also a guessing game. I got rejected from radiation therapy school already.

I doubt there will be an abundance of jobs. All the ads posted for Nuclear Techs on this site alone are asking for experience. What you should do is call some of the hospitals and see if you can do an internship after you graduate, thats one way to gain experience. Insurance may or may not allow them, but it never hurts to ask. One other thing you can do is stand out in school. Nuclear Medicine is very small and everybody knows everybody. I have a friend who calls me all the time asking me if I know anyone who would hire a student she thought was really good. You have to make connections and it sounds like thats what you're trying to do here. After you graduate come back to this site and if I can help you I will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

That's great, I want to network as much as possible... I do know many people in different hospital that might help. I want to do what I can during school so I can be marketable afterward. Maybe research or something. Can I get your email?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Buffalo, New York

73 months ago

well I was looking to go to nuc-med school but it sounds like there's a lot of negative views of the job market here. I was also thinking about radiation therapy -- anyone consider that job market significantly healthier now and in the near future? Besides nursing, any other tech-type jobs with a particularly health job outlook you can think of? (respiratory therapist?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

ultrasound, dosimetry, radiation therapy are all still good from what I hear...However, it might change as well in 2 years.. BUT I think they are safe bets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

john in Houston, Texas said: ultrasound, dosimetry, radiation therapy are all still good from what I hear...However, it might change as well in 2 years.. BUT I think they are safe bets.

John you can email me @ hollyann48@hotmail.com. I'll help you anyway I can. I went through the same program you're going to be going through. I will tell you it's important to make as many friends as you can while in school. You're gonna rotate through 4 hospitals in the Med. Ctr. and you never know when they're going to have an opening, if they like you they'll hire you. If you're lucky you can get on with a hospital that offers education, I would suggest you get your B.S as soon as possible, you can do that online. Nuclear is going to a B.S. in 2015, yes you'll be grandfathered in, but most hospitals are going to ask for it, they already are if you read the ads. Keep a positive attitude and you will succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristina VanSickle in Custer, Michigan

73 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: Even if you had experience you still may not hear back. The job market is very tight right now. I wonder how many students research before entering the program.Not to say you didn't 2 years ago things were not this bad.

When I put my name on the waiting list to get into the Nuc Med program it was 2004 and there was an abundance of jobs out there for techs. I waited 2 years to get in the program and then 2 more years to get through it. And it was not easy! It's hard to believe it was all for nothing. Before I went into Nuc Med at least I worked at an insurance company with benefits. Sure, it didn't pay that much but at least it paid the bills. I guess I got greedy and thought I could go to school for only 2 more years for Nuc Med and make almost twice as much as I was making. Stupid stupid decision! Now I am basically unemployable in my old field because I only worked part time retail jobs while in the program. I owe over $40,000 in student loans from both my degrees and have no way to pay them back. I am out of ideas here. I think I will be unemployed forever. I am too scared to back to school for anything else because those jobs could possible all be gone by the time I get done, plus I owe way too much. I also can't get a full-time job doing anything else because as soon as the place finds out I have a degree they don't even consider me for any normal full time job. I would recommend anyone in school for nuc med to get out right away and do something else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina VanSickle in Custer, Michigan

73 months ago

Bryant in Simi Valley, California said: Come to southern california...

I run a nuc med company servicing three hospital. I swear the people I hire are the worst I've seen.. but I have not choice to hire them. I need someone.. anyone...

Sometimes I really doubt they graduated from any real program.

Where in Southern CA? Do you have any openings right now? I will move anywhere for a full-time job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

great, I have all my core curriculum for a bachelors... got them done at a&m. How do I go about getting a b.a.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

We offer a BS degree program completely online that is geared towards the working professional.

For information on the BS in Radiologic Sciences distance education online program, please visit onlineimaging.fhchs.edu, or call (877) 471-1454.

For FHCHS alumni only, please contact Distance Education Department BSRS Program at (800) 500-7747.

‹ Department of Radiologic SciencesupNuclear Medicine Technology ›

I know alot of Techs who have gone here and this will also help you to advance if you choose too. It's expensive so find a hospital that will pay some do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

That was a copy paste from their website. I hope it helps you....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina

73 months ago

john in Houston, Texas said: great, I have all my core curriculum for a bachelors... got them done at a&m. How do I go about getting a b.a.?

Not to discourage you... but... just fresh out of school and b.a. might not be enough to get a job right a way. The Nuc Med field is shrinking and the trend is that it will continue that way. The state health departments are limiting the PET scanners to be installed, we are loosing many, many procedures to CT & MRI, especially cardiacs. Consider this, one of the biggest healthcare providers in NC - WFUBMC is now ordering mostly echo stress tests, if the images do not look good, they used to switch the test to NM stress test. Now they are automatically ordering cardiac MRI. Yes... not every patient can have that, but many can, the once that can't get CTAngio's, and then if they do not fit the reqs for that, then they might gear towards NM. NM Stress tests are the bread of our profession. We are loosing those by the minute. This is just one example, there are many others.

CA needs techs, but consider COST OF LIVING there. You will hardly survive on a NMTech salary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kingwood, Texas

73 months ago

NMT in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Not to discourage you... but... just fresh out of school and b.a. might not be enough to get a job right a way. The Nuc Med field is shrinking and the trend is that it will continue that way. The state health departments are limiting the PET scanners to be installed, we are loosing many, many procedures to CT & MRI, especially cardiacs. Consider this, one of the biggest healthcare providers in NC - WFUBMC is now ordering mostly echo stress tests, if the images do not look good, they used to switch the test to NM stress test. Now they are automatically ordering cardiac MRI. Yes... not every patient can have that, but many can, the once that can't get CTAngio's, and then if they do not fit the reqs for that, then they might gear towards NM. NM Stress tests are the bread of our profession. We are loosing those by the minute. This is just one example, there are many others.

CA needs techs, but consider COST OF LIVING there. You will hardly survive on a NMTech salary.

It won't be enough to get a job and I don't recommend anyone going to NMT school. I was just giving a few suggestions if one is still determined to go. If you have experience in another modality you might have a fighting chance. I have 10 years of experience and all I can find is PRN work, if it were not for friends I wouldn't even be getting that....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

hmm hopefully all the people that can't get a job now will go on and do something else and in 2 years there will be openings for when I graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Virginia Beach, Virginia

73 months ago

Hey does anybody know if it's easy or hard to get a Washington State NMT license? What loopholes do you have to get through? I can't find a job here to save my life. It's Supersaturated with NMTs! I can't even find PRN work. I'm willing to work in ANY city in ANY state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.