A recent graduate weighs in...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 147)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois

74 months ago

Let me first illustrate for you my perspective on this matter: I recently (on 8/22) graduated from an Ohio school with a Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Medicine Technology. Shortly after (8/27), I successfully completed the examination for ARRT certification. Now I am facing the monumental task of finding myself a job (if you're in the Chicago area, I'm looking!).

As I see it, this is a two-fold problem all caused by the same source(s): the schools. While the number of students being accepted and processed through a nuclear medicine program each year is astounding, I feel that the source of the problem lies in the number of schools that offer nuclear medicine degree programs. In my own personal experience, a lot of technologists in my area seem to place the blame for the job saturation in the Midwest solely on my school. Initially, it's easy to see why, too: my school churns out approximately 70 students split across two classes each year, most of which become board certified. While that number seems staggering at first, let me further expound upon the situation to water it down a little bit.

In a class of about 40 graduating students, I was one of approximately five students native to the school. The rest were students brought in from affiliate schools spread across not only my state, but two other states as well. My school is affiliated with somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 other schools for teaching nuclear medicine and, there were no less than 5 different schools represented in my class. Figuring for an even split, that's 8 students from each school. Divided up evenly by the number of states and multiply that number by 1.5 (typically, there's about one-third less students in the second class), and you get about 20 students per state per year. I don't think that sounds too unreasonable considering the number of potential retirees each year. The problem here lies with the fact that those 20 students represent only a fraction of the students put out yearl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois

74 months ago

In Ohio alone, there are 10 nuclear medicine programs. Even considering that some schools accept fewer students than others, you still come up with at least 100 nuclear medicine students coming out of just Ohio each year! Please keep in mind that all of my numbers (except the number of schools) are what I feel to be generous estimates that are subject to debate. However, plug in any numbers that you wish, with 10 programs the number you achieve in the end is still outrageous. What I have deduced from talking to other technologists is that some of the schools in Ohio saw an opportunity to make a little extra money when there was a boon in the job market five or so years ago. So they jumped on the bandwagon and flooded the market. I don't know what the case is in other states, but you can easily see how that much saturation in Ohio can quickly spread to the surrounding states and shortly, the entire Midwest.

I didn't come here just to spout random facts and opinions at you. I have some ideas for solutions, and I think it's up to the licensing boards to fix this. First of all, I think it's unfair that an Associate's Degree in Nuclear Medicine carries the same weight as a Bachelor's. I think that policy should be changed so that only students who complete a Bachelor's study can be board-eligible. I'm not saying that Associate Degree technologists are of lesser quality, I just feel like a lot of people probably look at the fact that you can obtain an Associate's, get a license, and make $50k/year and see it as the easy road to a well-paying career. Make new students get a Bachelor's Degree and I guarantee that the number of new students entering the field will drop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois

74 months ago

The second step is that I think we need to see the elimination/consolidation of some programs in the same area. There are six nuclear medicine schools on the east side of Ohio, most of them located somewhere between Canton and Cleveland. Set up an affiliate program and cut down the number of students you accept each year! Unfortunately, I think that only the accreditation board has enough clout to force schools to take this approach. I know there will job and money loss, but it’s in the interest of helping rescue a completely saturated field.

That’s just my two cents, let me know what you think!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois said: The second step is that I think we need to see the elimination/consolidation of some programs in the same area. There are six nuclear medicine schools on the east side of Ohio, most of them located somewhere between Canton and Cleveland. Set up an affiliate program and cut down the number of students you accept each year! Unfortunately, I think that only the accreditation board has enough clout to force schools to take this approach. I know there will job and money loss, but it’s in the interest of helping rescue a completely saturated field.

That’s just my two cents, let me know what you think!

Nuclear Medicine is supposed to be a Bachelor's in 2015. Right now I feel sorry for anyone with less than 5 years experience. My advice to someone who just graduated, get into another profession, there are NO jobs....This is not a stable career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: Nuclear Medicine is supposed to be a Bachelor's in 2015. Right now I feel sorry for anyone with less than 5 years experience. My advice to someone who just graduated, get into another profession, there are NO jobs....This is not a stable career.

FYI no one really cares whether or not you have a bachelors or an associates. Nor do they care what kind of grades you made, they just want to know if you are licensed and can they abuse you...and abuse you they will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois

74 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: FYI no one really cares whether or not you have a bachelors or an associates. Nor do they care what kind of grades you made, they just want to know if you are licensed and can they abuse you...and abuse you they will.

I don't mind... I'm young, and I can take it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois said: I don't mind... I'm young, and I can take it

Well I hope you get the chance. I know where I live recent grads are going to CT or MRI school. There are NO jobs for NMT's with experience, but without it it's impossible to find a job....Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

73 months ago

Tim in Lake Villa, Illinois said: I don't mind... I'm young, and I can take it

Tim, how is your job hunting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tamee in Pompano Beach, Florida

73 months ago

I agree with you 100% as I am also a new grad in south FL. There is not a job to be had in the NM field. Although the schools are still accepting new students without any job assistance. The program should be shut down until the satuation dwindles.

I thought the year for the B.S. was 2010.
You are correct, employers do not care about grades or degrees, they just want you to be licensed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

rob in Springfield, Illinois

72 months ago

Guys and Gals..there are no nuclear medicine technologist jobs out there...I would have gone to physician assistant school....I have had a total of one interview and went to ohio for the stupid degree...well into debt with no possibility of paying it back...looking to the service things are so dang bad..and im 39....if your thinking about going to school for nuc tech..just dont do it....you will be sorry if you do....did great in school...a bachelors degree in it...and its worthless...great....great grades...worked hard...for nothing...the school got its money....sent me a card wanting a donation....i laughed thinking they got all the money they will ever get outa me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

rob in Springfield, Illinois said: Guys and Gals..there are no nuclear medicine technologist jobs out there...I would have gone to physician assistant school....I have had a total of one interview and went to ohio for the stupid degree...well into debt with no possibility of paying it back...looking to the service things are so dang bad..and im 39....if your thinking about going to school for nuc tech..just dont do it....you will be sorry if you do....did great in school...a bachelors degree in it...and its worthless...great....great grades...worked hard...for nothing...the school got its money....sent me a card wanting a donation....i laughed thinking they got all the money they will ever get outa me

Really sorry that happened to you Rob, it seems to be happening more and more. I'm lucky to have a job I know, but the job I have should go to a recent graduate. I have the qualifications to be the lead Tech and have been lead before, but the job market is so tight you take what you can get. One of the problems with Nuclear Medicine, is senior Tech's will take pay cuts if they have to.I did....whatever it takes to work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Newbie

72 months ago

I'd just landed into the JRCNMT website. There are only six programs in Ohio being accredited. I thought I heard somebody said there are 10 in Ohio
Just curious

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

72 months ago

Newbie said: I'd just landed into the JRCNMT website. There are only six programs in Ohio being accredited. I thought I heard somebody said there are 10 in Ohio
Just curious

JRCNMT is not the only accrediting agency for NMT programs. Look on the ARRT web site! And that is not to say that there are no programs that are not accredited by either one of those agencies, but still graduate students every year, and after they get their mandatory comps are allowed to sit for the boards. Same as in US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

drea in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

This is really bad!! 2 yrs ago my parents were telling me to go to nursing school like my sis, I refused to b/c I didn't like nursing. I end up going to Nuclear Med, I just graduated with a bachelor and passed my board exam. Now it's time to look for job & nothing.........

I'm on this site 24/7 looking for jobs. Couple of places say they are hiring, I apply but I never get a call. After a few weeks the same job is reposted. I drive around and drop my resume, still nothing......
This is embarrassing!! I don't know what excuse I should give my parents. I guess I going to make a career in going to school. Looking from all these comment, I'm applying to the nursing accelerated program right away!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

crazy in East Chicago, Indiana

71 months ago

any student going to nuclear med school dont do it!!!! its a waste of time..go to nursing school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

I concur there are NO JOBS in NMT!!! It is that simple. But do not take my word for it, search yourself...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Canton, Ohio

71 months ago

I graduated in June and I agree, there are no jobs. I have a bachelor's degree and could have gone back for anything. I chose nuclear medicine because it combined patient care with technology. As far as I know, no one I graduated with is working in nuc med.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Youngstown, Ohio

71 months ago

I concur 100% there have been no jobs availible, I have been looking for two years all over the country. what a waste of good time, talent, and effort on all of our parts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

70 months ago

The problem is very few potential students know about this site. Eventually the word will get out that there are NO jobs! I'm surprised the Tech's at your clinical sites did not inform you of the job situation. I would have, the hospital I work for doesn't have NMT students.If they did I would encourage them to drop the program...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: The problem is very few potential students know about this site. Eventually the word will get out that there are NO jobs! I'm surprised the Tech's at your clinical sites did not inform you of the job situation. I would have, the hospital I work for doesn't have NMT students.If they did I would encourage them to drop the program...

Marie, not all techs are being honest about the current market situation. Sad to say, but things seam to be getting so much worse lately, it is spiraling down cause of lower patient load, and things are getting tight with budgets and everyone is looking for the bottom line. I am surprised that folks don't do their research still before they jump into new career and waste tons of money and time, but hopefully as you said word will get out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

J R Wagoneer in San Diego, California

70 months ago

We are having a problem with lower patient load as well.

Jobs are very very hard to come by.

Please make well educated decisions new students!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jj in Hollywood, Florida

69 months ago

I feel so decevied by a University which I will leave nameless. The representatives for this particular nuclear medicine technology program tells you that there are jobs in nuclear medicine but not in south florida. They are lying to students in order to get their money. They tell you that you will do an internship in nuclear medicine technology but what they don't tell you is that you have to find and apply to the internship on your own. So you will have to pay 12, 500 per semester that you are there taking credits that must be done at that school and then.When you finish the prerequisites they tell you that you have to find your own internship site, one that you may or may not get accepted to. Take it as a good advice from someone who has been fooled, there are no jobs in nuclear medicine, and if it is a field that you really want to persue, make sure that you don't have to find your own internship site and apply independently after spending 25,000 for one complete school year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

jj in Hollywood, don't you dare to say you feel deceived by a University... The information is out there and one needs to do a good research before jumping into school. Many of the Univ. employees do not even know the real status of the job market! They have not looked for NMT jobs! And, yes, your participation in their program guarantees their salary. That is their job to lure you in. So they did their job well. You on the other hand failed to do your own research, but rather blindly and naively jumped into a field that was and is spiraling down. I am sorry that you were lied to, but you should not blame others for pulling the bone their way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

blah blah saly in Needham, Massachusetts

69 months ago

saly, you sound like a salesman....is it so wrong to expect honesty from an educator?! They are supposed to be the ones educating and setting a good example for their students are they not?! Perhaps I'm expecting too much....do research you say? OK, well BLS says it's growing faster than average(and it was updated recently, I was a student of the recent president of NMT section of SNM and he even told us he was working with them on updating it), articles all say that health care jobs are recession proof, tons of research going on in PET, all information concluding that nuclear medicine is a good bet! You can research other programs all you want, they don't always say how many people they let in their program....who knew that ohio is a breeding ground for NMT's! Just like all other failing businesses who were just worried about profits profits profits, and the workers get axed and left out to dry....colleges are doing the same to a lot of students....it's disgusting....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: jj in Hollywood, don't you dare to say you feel deceived by a University... The information is out there and one needs to do a good research before jumping into school. Many of the Univ. employees do not even know the real status of the job market! They have not looked for NMT jobs! And, yes, your participation in their program guarantees their salary. That is their job to lure you in. So they did their job well. You on the other hand failed to do your own research, but rather blindly and naively jumped into a field that was and is spiraling down. I am sorry that you were lied to, but you should not blame others for pulling the bone their way.

I have to disagree with you on this. The directors who lie to potential students know the job situation. When I was in school there were several faxes a day sent to the school looking for graduates and numerous phone calls. They know there are NO jobs and they also know they should have cut back on the number of students they accepted 4 years ago. They saturated the market out of greed. I do agree with researching the market though, forget about BLS. Pick up a Sunday newspaper, check out all the online websites, and most important go to the hopitals websites and look at their employment opportunites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

FD in Bend, Oregon

69 months ago

Well, I did research this field four years ago and there were several job openings everywhere. Now, I am done in 15 weeks and I hardly see any jobs now. I noticed when I asked my program director in an email about the job out look, he didn't say anything. I get the feeling I have made a major mistake and now my family will probably pay for it.

Have to say I don't get very good sleep here of late, but here is hoping for the best. I was thinking of PA school, seems open now, but who knows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

FD in Bend, Oregon said: Well, I did research this field four years ago and there were several job openings everywhere. Now, I am done in 15 weeks and I hardly see any jobs now. I noticed when I asked my program director in an email about the job out look, he didn't say anything. I get the feeling I have made a major mistake and now my family will probably pay for it.

Have to say I don't get very good sleep here of late, but here is hoping for the best. I was thinking of PA school, seems open now, but who knows.[/QUOTE

Well I guess you went for the B.S, had you have gone for the A.S you would probably be employed. The bottom fell out of the market 2 years ago. I feel for you and I hope you find something...If and when you do find a job continue to make contacts. I have 10 years of experience and when I was layed off I called friends and found a job that way. They were not even hiring and if it were not for a good friend I would still be looking.Oh and just so everyone knows I was more than willing to relocate!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

Yes, the schools are dishonest, but your enrolment guarantees their job spot. In that sentence, I do not blame them for not telling you up front that there are no jobs in the NMT field. But if I was a student now, I would click on every hospital in the region's web site and check for openings. When I graduated, there were jobs... Now things are different, but even then I did a good research. I did not jump into NM just cause the BLS told me this was a great field, or cause the educators told me so as well. I went and did a research to find out how many schools are there; their enrolment number-to figure out how many will graduate by the time I do; looked up hospitals web site to see how many openings are there; looked up other employment web sites as well in reference to the latter. That is what I mean by saying "doing your own research." Lets not count on others to tell us the truth, lets dig up and find it for ourselves... I am sorry that I sound like a salesman... But truly, if you look at what is happening here on this web site, there are folks that even if you tell them that there are no openings, they do not want to listen. They've got this fixed idea that they will be the lucky one to get a job upon graduation... Well... that is how most of them think... I happen to know few of those that couple of years ago I told them to pick another imaging modality, that even then there were no jobs in our field. They did not listen, now they are complaining that it has been almost 1yr since graduation and they have not been able to get even PRN job. Yes, things are that bad. And is it their educators or my fault that they did not want to listen, and do their research?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia

69 months ago

If some of you spent as much time job hunting as you do writing bitter posts, maybe you would be employed! There is the same 5-10 of you posting. Get offline and start knocking down doors, lazies!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

FD in Bend, Oregon

69 months ago

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia said: If some of you spent as much time job hunting as you do writing bitter posts, maybe you would be employed! There is the same 5-10 of you posting. Get offline and start knocking down doors, lazies!

I was thinking that to, kind of freaked me out reading these postings last week. Thanks for the slap in the face, needed that.

frank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

jane doe in Genoa, Nevada

69 months ago

I think many of us feel that we have been lied to by our educational system. And yes I did do the research when I started school 5+ years ago (4 yrs school 15mo internship) there were tons of jobs sign on's and the whole nine yards. How were we suppose to know that the market was crashing down around us???!!

Nothing is going to happen to the schools. what it boils down to is $$ for the schools, licensing boards and memberships...all they care about is the mighty $ bill..they dont care when or if we ever find jobs..they just pump us out for free labor and and to cover their salaries.

I recently graduated '08 from my program and am ARRT and NMTCB certified. I was one of the lucky 1's in a sense. I am working, but I am the only one working from a class of 10+ people. I had to move all the way across the country (MIAMI to CALIFORNIA) to get a job and that was a task...but I am thankful I am working now. But many of my fellow students are now looking to go back to school for nursing or other fields since they can't find any work. ASnd the more those schools who are pumping out the students who don't have 4 yrs degrees to worse it will get. The market becomes to saturated whichdrive the salaries down because these are the students/people who are willing to work for less $.

It is sad to have to tell other students who are looking into nuc med to turn and run..but that is exactly what i am saying...the job market is near impossible, everyone wanting years of experience and BTW internships don't count as real experience. And rhw number of new student each year is NO WHERE NEAR the number of retiree's and especially now with the economy situation people are going to be holding on to jobs even longer since they have lost 401k and retirement money to fall back on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

FD in Bend, Oregon said: If some of you spent as much time job hunting as you do writing bitter posts, maybe you would be employed! There is the same 5-10 of you posting. Get offline and start knocking down doors, lazies!
I was thinking that to, kind of freaked me out reading these postings last week. Thanks for the slap in the face, needed that.

frank

Wow, you are surely getting bitter, disrespectful and rude here, the least said? We can say what we see, rather than being rude and arrogant. If we were "lazies" do you think we would care to even post on this blog? FYI, I do have a job as well, if you cared to read, rather than post arrogantly here, as Marie noted, you would know that. BTW, the job market for NMTs in Charleston, WV is one of the worst in the USA... Good luck finding a job. I will pray for you to learn to be nice, and since you are here on this blog, you are on the job market as well, aren’t you? I hope I never meet you and I will pray for your patients and co-workers cause they have to be served by you and work with you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia

69 months ago

FYI, I have a job. I come on here to see if anything is moving in the market. I graduated in May and had a FT job by June 1. I dont know where you are getting your info about Charleston, but clearly you dont know what you're talking about. Everyone I graduated with is working in the field already. This is an job posting board, so OF COURSE the majority of people on here are unemployed! However, in the "real world" it is a bit different. You have to knock down doors, network, call people personally and make a meeting to discuss future prospects. If managers know you're name and face and have an open dialogue with you, they will remember you when jobs open up. You cant' come to these posting boards, see there are no listings and deduce that the market is dead and you should thus devote your life to discouring everyone else.

The vast majority of jobs are never listed, people! That's why you must take a proactive stance. Simply forwarding a Word document and pressing send behind a computer screen will get you nowhere. Take control of your own destiny. If you do these things, and do not listen to the bitter old hags who hate their own life, you will be fine!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

thatchickinpa in State College, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina said: jj in Hollywood, don't you dare to say you feel deceived by a University... The information is out there and one needs to do a good research before jumping into school.

An 18 year old usually doesn't know better. They trust what their elders tell them. Why would they lie? Also, many people buy into the "American Dream" of education ... goto college, get good grades, graduate, get a great job, picket fence, financial security for the rest of your life, etc. It doesn't even occur to them to do research.

I'm an engineer, and my university totally lied to me. "Oh, borrow as much money as it takes to pay for school. With your salary as an engineer, you'll pay it off easily."

Ha! I was unemployed for one year after graduation with tons of debt that I'm still paying of years later. But I do agree that all potential students need to do their homework!

Look at the ROI of any degree you plan to invest in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia said: FYI, I have a job. I come on here to see if anything is moving in the market. I graduated in May and had a FT job by June 1. I dont know where you are getting your info about Charleston, but clearly you dont know what you're talking about. Everyone I graduated with is working in the field already. This is an job posting board, so OF COURSE the majority of people on here are unemployed! However, in the "real world" it is a bit different. You have to knock down doors, network, call people personally and make a meeting to discuss future prospects. If managers know you're name and face and have an open dialogue with you, they will remember you when jobs open up. You cant' come to these posting boards, see there are no listings and deduce that the market is dead and you should thus devote your life to discouring everyone else.

The vast majority of jobs are never listed, people! That's why you must take a proactive stance. Simply forwarding a Word document and pressing send behind a computer screen will get you nowhere. Take control of your own destiny. If you do these things, and do not listen to the bitter old hags who hate their own life, you will be fine!

First of all, if I had to guess your NOT working, your still in school. These so called ideas of yours come from program directors. I know I've heard it all before. The vast majority of jobs as you say that are never listed, are because someone in the department knew of someone with experience to fill it. No one at my hospital is going to set up any meeting to dicuss anything with you. Feel free to stop by anytime, you'll be sent to Human Resources and they will direct you to the website. As for your bitter old hag comment, no one on here has mentioned their age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia

69 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: First of all, if I had to guess your NOT working, your still in school. These so called ideas of yours come from program directors. I know I've heard it all before. The vast majority of jobs as you say that are never listed, are because someone in the department knew of someone with experience to fill it. No one at my hospital is going to set up any meeting to dicuss anything with you. Feel free to stop by anytime, you'll be sent to Human Resources and they will direct you to the website. As for your bitter old hag comment, no one on here has mentioned their age.

Trust me, I'm working. But thanks for making that baseless assumption. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't take a meeting with anyone if you contacted them in plenty of time. Sounds like you work at a miserable place and probably should get out ASAP if your coworkers are really such miserable curmudgeons. People I work with often help students with questions and concerns they are having.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia said: Trust me, I'm working. But thanks for making that baseless assumption. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't take a meeting with anyone if you contacted them in plenty of time. Sounds like you work at a miserable place and probably should get out ASAP if your coworkers are really such miserable curmudgeons. People I work with often help students with questions and concerns they are having.

No one where I work is miserable, hence the reason we would hire a "friend" over lets say you...I love my job. We don't come in contact with students....Why would we want a meeting with a student such as yourself, we have no need for your services so why waste yours or our time...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia

69 months ago

Thats the spirit! We NMT can help students by letting them know the pros and cons of the business. I would be happy to meet with them. Glad I don't work with you. There's nothing like working with miserable, and im guessing overweight, women.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

DJ81 in Charleston, West Virginia said: Thats the spirit! We NMT can help students by letting them know the pros and cons of the business. I would be happy to meet with them. Glad I don't work with you. There's nothing like working with miserable, and im guessing overweight, women.

We are letting them know the pros and cons... on this site!! There are NO jobs for recent graduates, or soon to be like you for example. Overweight, maybe so I'm 5'6" and weigh 109 I'd really like to gain a little weight... but whatever, I'm also 31 and will be working for at least another 34 years, sorry you can't have my job...Of course you would be happy to meet with students, you are one with NO job....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FD in Bend, Oregon

69 months ago

based on the "mud slinging", and granted i'm a student myself, i would question the professionlism you two are showing each other.

i feel i shall seek guidance else where. i don't believe this is the type of forum i was looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Saly in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

FD in Bend
There are hardly any forums that discuss the current job market for NMT's. However, you can review articles online, I think one such was published in "Advance", or "Radiology Today. There is another discussion here, not sure which one was, that had a link to one such article. It was very truly explaining how on the last SNM society meeting in New Orleans there were tons of NMT resumes plastered all over the job board, and NOT A SINGLE JOB OPENING. That is what is happening. I hope you do you own research about the current situation! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

FD in Bend, Oregon said: based on the "mud slinging", and granted i'm a student myself, i would question the professionlism you two are showing each other.

i feel i shall seek guidance else where. i don't believe this is the type of forum i was looking for.

Sorry I usually keep a cool head, but for someone to come on here and insinuate one is lazy if they can't find work as a NMT infuriates me....There are NO jobs, I have friends who have been layed off with years of experience and they can't find even a PRN job. I know I'm Lucky I'm working, believe me I know...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

69 months ago

Feel the Nuclear Medicine Love! It's everywhere and spreading fast! Ya the job market right now is thight. I had a phone interview with the VA in Louisiana last Friday so we will see. It is hard to imagine but that was my 8th interview since leaving Amarillo. They said it would be 30-45 days before I hear anything. In the meantime I am in the process of getting a part time job until I can figure what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

Zac if you're for a job unrelated to NMT, try for a tranporter position. Get to know the Tech's and maybe you can pick up some call. If they like you and know of a position they'll help you out. Good Luck with the VA position...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

69 months ago

Ya Marie I need to figure something out. I feel the interview with the VA went well, Itried to pour out all the knowledge I could about Nuclear Medicine that I could hoping to impress them, but unfortunantly, our discipline is hands on, so we will see. The manager that I spoke with said it would help if I had my CT registration with the ARRT? Where do you work Marie?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

I work for Memorial Hermann.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

69 months ago

Ok there in Houston?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

69 months ago

Marie real quick, do you know of any openings where you work or within the region where you are at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

I sure don't but if I did I would let you know. I think you have a good attitude and you deserve a shot. Like I said try and transport for Memorial Hermann or another hopital. When you get the interview let them know you are willing to work call. When a job comes up your in. You can almost make a living taking call, plus you get experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zac Cockroft in Burnet, Texas

69 months ago

Ya, you are right Marie. Let me ask Marie what all types of scans do you do at your Hospital? You know when I had the interview with the VA I was asking about the types of scans they do and the likes, noting the similarities and differences between different parts of the state and country, and there they elute their own generators. They also use HDP for their bone scans instead of MDP, which is different from what I used in Amarillo. Sure Marie it is all about experience but hopefully something will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.