Do LVN schools need to be accredited ?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

Bfree in Thousand Oaks, California

83 months ago

Do LVN Schools need to be accredited? I have taken 5 years of school at a major univeristy, I have finished all my pre-requisites, and I am a registered CNA in California, is it possible to skip LVN school and just take the NCLEX-LPN? PLease help, I am so confused on what my next step should be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Shelby in Austin, Texas

82 months ago

You should take the board that licenses nurses in your area. I know that in Texas it is required that the school has to be accredited. However the schools here do not require prereq's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa MHW in Oceanside, California

81 months ago

Bfree in Thousand Oaks, California said: Do LVN Schools need to be accredited? I have taken 5 years of school at a major univeristy, I have finished all my pre-requisites, and I am a registered CNA in California, is it possible to skip LVN school and just take the NCLEX-LPN? PLease help, I am so confused on what my next step should be.

I dont think it is possible. I know of Navy coreman who can take the exam after working-X-amount of years in the field, but I've never known of any CNA's allowed to take the exam, let alone any who have passed the exam, and I've been an LVN for 10+ years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie Hizo in Bakersfield, California

81 months ago

Lisa MHW in Oceanside, California said: I dont think it is possible. I know of Navy coreman who can take the exam after working-X-amount of years in the field, but I've never known of any CNA's allowed to take the exam, let alone any who have passed the exam, and I've been an LVN for 10+ years.

That's partially true but being a CNA for more than 5 years you can take a challenge board with the x amount of experiences in the field provide that you work in a hospital setting in many different units and achieve a number of hours; especially in the state of California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rhod in Camarillo, California

71 months ago

Bfree in Thousand Oaks, California said: Do LVN Schools need to be accredited? I have taken 5 years of school at a major univeristy, I have finished all my pre-requisites, and I am a registered CNA in California, is it possible to skip LVN school and just take the NCLEX-LPN? PLease help, I am so confused on what my next step should be.

Yes, in California you can challenge both LVN and RN boards without attending a school. I have met both types of nurses that have done it but you only get one chance at it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mkpyani in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

Hi i am desperately trying to challenge the boords either the lvn or the Rn i was in my second last semester in a Rn school and i feel like i have been in school forever.I would like to know which scholls would let me challenege the boards or how to go about it.i dont mind it even if its one chance only.i will appreciate any information given.Thanks alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Foxy Roxy in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: No that is false. Only 3 out of the 50+ vocational nursing schools in TX are accredited by NLNAC. You are probably confusing accredited with approved. There are approved vocational nursing programs by the state that allows graduates to be eligible to sit for the NCLEX. Accreditation is completely different. Many vocational nursing schools in TX DO require prereq's and some do not.

I also live in Mansfield, is a school that offers a LVP, LPN, RN degree program in the evening and or weekends? I really want to get me degree but can't afford to stop working to get it. I welcome your suggestions or advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

I believe Concorde Career Institute in Arlington has a PT LVN program, but it is very expensive. I'm not aware of any PT RN programs in our area though.

gilbert in Menifee, California

63 months ago

i currently just got out of active duty as a medic and will be challenging the nclex - lvn in about 2 months in ca ..does anyone if i can move to tx and use the same license or would i have to take the nclex again since i plan on changing my residents to TX ?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

I am not 100% certain, but I think if you obtain your LVN license in CA by challenging the exam your license is only limited in CA. You will need to contact the TX state board of nursing to find out for sure. If they do accept your CA LVN license you can obtain a TX LVN license through endorsement and you will not have to retake the NCLEX.

Kat in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

gilbert in Menifee, California said: i currently just got out of active duty as a medic and will be challenging the nclex - lvn in about 2 months in ca ..does anyone if i can move to tx and use the same license or would i have to take the nclex again since i plan on changing my residents to TX ?????

I was curious of that question so I looked it up. This is from the TX BNE website:
"I received my training through a branch of service other than the Army and I am licensed in California where I have been working for over 10 years. Will this allow me to endorse into Texas?

No. You do not meet the Education Requirements."

"What military branch has an approved nursing program?

The Army is the only military branch that has an approved Vocational Nursing Program."

johanna in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

Kat in Arlington, Texas said: I was curious of that question so I looked it up. This is from the TX BNE website:
"I received my training through a branch of service other than the Army and I am licensed in California where I have been working for over 10 years. Will this allow me to endorse into Texas?

No. You do not meet the Education Requirements."

"What military branch has an approved nursing program?

The Army is the only military branch that has an approved Vocational Nursing Program."

This is true. I too was a hospital corpsman in the Navy 5yrs and thought I could challenge the Nclex. If you are an LVn in California, your licence is null and void if you move to Texas. Texas requires you to be a graduated of formal education, college or private school. The army in Fort Sam Houston have a LVN school and is the only branch of the service that meets Texas approval. You can however challenge for your CNA, phlebotomy, and medical assistant by taking test. That is why I will soon be attending a private LVN school approved by Texas in about 6mths. You can call or check out the Texas board of nursing website and click questions and approved schools for LVN and RN and look at their pass/fail rates. Good luck. You can also attend Excelsior College(independent study) for your associate/bachelors in nursing, and it was just past that this school is equivalent to traditional RN training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha SN in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

There are schools in texas that are fast track for people who have been CNA's for and it is only 6 months to get your LVN instead of a year. My mother also did Excelsior college where you read the material on your own and go in and take your tests once you feel you have mastered the material and you can get your RN quickly because you can take the tests back to back. And the Navy and Army tried to recruit me for their nursing school but I'm pretty sure they do not have anything for LVN, but they will help pay if you sign up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

Samantha SN in Houston, Texas said: There are schools in texas that are fast track for people who have been CNA's for and it is only 6 months to get your LVN instead of a year. My mother also did Excelsior college where you read the material on your own and go in and take your tests once you feel you have mastered the material and you can get your RN quickly because you can take the tests back to back. And the Navy and Army tried to recruit me for their nursing school but I'm pretty sure they do not have anything for LVN, but they will help pay if you sign up.

I've never heard of a CNA-LVN program in TX. Can you tell me which schools offer this? It seems like that would be extremely difficult to do since the "basic nursing skills" aka "CNA training" was only a short portion of my LVN program. The Army has a state approved LVN program at Fort Sam Houston, TX.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TINA BIEL in Redlands, California

62 months ago

HI MY NAME IS TINA BIEL I HAVE BEEN A CNA SENCE 1991 I HAVE WORKED IN HOSPITALS FOR MANY YEARS AS A CNA AND A MONITOR TECH IS THERE A WAY I CAN CHALLENGE THE BOARD FOR MY LVN JUST CURIOS CAN YOU PLEASE GET BACK WITH ME MY EMAIL ADRESS IS TRIXYBIEL@ATT.NET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

onya in Oakland, California

61 months ago

no

onya in Oakland, California

61 months ago

no. certain military personnel can can

Jo Ann in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

Shelby in Austin, Texas said: You should take the board that licenses nurses in your area. I know that in Texas it is required that the school has to be accredited. However the schools here do not require prereq's.

Hello Shelby,

I am looking for a acrrediated LVN program without prereq's. Are you in the field? Thanks in advace for any help!

Jo Ann

shell in Longview, Texas

61 months ago

Samantha SN in Houston, Texas said: There are schools in texas that are fast track for people who have been CNA's for and it is only 6 months to get your LVN instead of a year. My mother also did Excelsior college where you read the material on your own and go in and take your tests once you feel you have mastered the material and you can get your RN quickly because you can take the tests back to back. And the Navy and Army tried to recruit me for their nursing school but I'm pretty sure they do not have anything for LVN, but they will help pay if you sign up.

Sam, where are this fast track programs for CNA's. Live in texas....

Jo Ann in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

shell in Longview, Texas said: Sam, where are this fast track programs for CNA's. Live in texas....

I have not taken a CNA program. I'm just starting out. Looking for a fast track LVN program.

Thanks,
Jo Ann

shell in Longview, Texas

61 months ago

I have my CNA, but just looking to get the LVN license too in a fast track program...preferably in the evenings/weekends. If new information arises please contact me.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cerina Milla in Dallas, Texas

61 months ago

I went all the way trough the BSN program but got kicked out of the program during my last semester due to 2nd class failure. I would like to know how i can challenge the LVN exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HARRISON in Austin, Texas

60 months ago

i am a cna holder working with a rehab and health center. i am taking my cma class i wish i will finish by november i want to know if it will be easy for me to fastrack mt lvn please let me know any accredited or approve school for lvn class in austin area.i would love to start my lvn class starting from janurary God willing.please i needed an answer.

Kat in Lewisville, Texas

60 months ago

HARRISON in Austin, Texas said: i am a cna holder working with a rehab and health center. i am taking my cma class i wish i will finish by november i want to know if it will be easy for me to fastrack mt lvn please let me know any accredited or approve school for lvn class in austin area.i would love to start my lvn class starting from janurary God willing.please i needed an answer.

google Texas Board of Nursing and check the area for approved Vocational Nursing programs to find one in your area and then contact the school. I highly doubt you will get any credit for being a CNA or CMA, as neither take the same nursing courses as LVNs. Bottom line is that you will have to find out from the individual school that you choose.

Kathy in Lancaster, Texas

60 months ago

Will a feloney stop you from becoming a lvn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

debra in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

Foxy Roxy in Arlington, Texas said: I also live in Mansfield, is a school that offers a LVP, LPN, RN degree program in the evening and or weekends? I really want to get me degree but can't afford to stop working to get it. I welcome your suggestions or advice.

hi my name is debra i am searching for advice would love to attend school for lvn but do not want to quit work do u know of any web site or college in houston texas where u can go on weekends or evenings i am needing help where do i go

debra in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

i need help want to go to lvn school can not afford to quit work and live in houston tx need any advise of schools that offer course on line or in class on evenings or weekends help please

Shanae in Humble, Texas

52 months ago

debra in Houston, Texas said: i need help want to go to lvn school can not afford to quit work and live in houston tx need any advise of schools that offer course on line or in class on evenings or weekends help please

Hi Kingwood College has an online and evening ADN course but not LVN.Most lvn programs require Fulltime 7-8 hours morning til.

Shanae in Humble, Texas

52 months ago

Kathy in Lancaster, Texas said: Will a feloney stop you from becoming a lvn

HI ,you would have to send the Texas State Board of Nursing a Declaratory order in order to find out if you are eligible for licensure once you take the Nclex-PN.

mercy tan in Beaumont, California

52 months ago

hi! I'm a registered midwife in the philippines and i want 2 challenged LVN here in california,what are the steps will i do?please help me what can i do?

mary t in Waco, Texas

51 months ago

Shanae in Humble, Texas said: Hi Kingwood College has an online and evening ADN course but not LVN.Most lvn programs require Fulltime 7-8 hours morning til.

HI in order to take ADN do you need to live in HUMBLE TX toviasmary@yahoo.com.

mary t in BRyan TEX in Waco, Texas

51 months ago

Shanae in Humble, Texas said: Hi Kingwood College has an online and evening ADN course but not LVN.Most lvn programs require Fulltime 7-8 hours morning til.

HI in order to take ADN do you need to live in HUMBLE TX toviasmary@yahoo.com.

mary t in BRyan TEX in Waco, Texas

51 months ago

bryan has a LVN program only the TTTTTOOOOppp 30 highest score ! Is that all LVN prgrams in tx

Shanae in Humble, Texas

49 months ago

No you don't have to live in humble to apply to lonestar college ADN program,but it is one of the In-district areas.

donna in Riverside, California

48 months ago

I have had my LVN for 10 years and worked in a hospital setting for 6 is there a way to challenge the RN boards and does any ony know how contact me at two_ofakind2@yahoo.com

Sherry Peterson in Murrieta, California

44 months ago

I am a civilian Surgical tech at NMCSD. I submitted my packet to challenge the board of nursing since I retired after completing 21 years of honorable service as a Hospital Corpsman. While in the service, I worked in various medical fields to include 8 months of the documented word "ward" in my service record. Besides receiving military certificates for Hospital Corps School, EMT, Clinical Assistant, Hearing Conservation, Surgical Tech etc, Instructor Trainer etc... I also completed the 0837N US Military Apprenticeship Program for Nurse, Licensed Practical (Medical Service). Over half of my career was with the marines. My packet included a letter from the Capt that I currently work for as a civil service employee.
I was NOT allowed to challenge the board because my record does not have the word "ward" spanning a 12 month period. I cannot believe this. I not only went to war as a Marine Corps doc, but I trained the Corpsmen that are currently being allowed to take the exam.

How humiliating,
Is there anything that I can do to resolve this issue?

In addition, I have a bachelor's degree in Workforce Education Training and Development and I am 3 classes away from a Masters in Special Education with dual credentials.

Sherry Peterson

isabel in Anaheim, California

34 months ago

Houston Community College offers a CNA to LVN evening program but you have to have been a CNA for at least 5 years and work in an acute care setting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JJJ in West Covina, California

28 months ago

mkpyani in Dallas, Texas said: Hi i am desperately trying to challenge the boords either the lvn or the Rn i was in my second last semester in a Rn school and i feel like i have been in school forever.I would like to know which scholls would let me challenege the boards or how to go about it.i dont mind it even if its one chance only.i will appreciate any information given.Thanks alot.

first, you might want to work on your grammar and spelling. Just letting you know.....

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.