Doing away with LVN?!?!?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 436)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Shelby in Austin, Texas

81 months ago

I have a friend that is currently in school in Dallas. She has stated that in the next few yrs that there will not be any LVN positions open. Only RN positions. I think shes a nerd and that who ever the source is has to be equal. Because I know that every where I look it seems like cities/states are screaming about a nursing shortage. I know the differences between RN & LVN but a nurse is a nurse. And to do away with one makes no sense. That would require everyone to go thru RN school which is longer and of course that means longer to get the nurses and more to keep the old ones til the newbies are out of school...... any ideas? any rumors?? I am curious bc I finally decided to go back to school and with a 2 yr old I can not handle RN school and honestly want to be around for my daughter. Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

I been lvn for 20yrs,I got laid off from my last job,because the unit closed.It been very hard trying to find job in a hospital,only nursing homes,home health jobs thats available to lvns.The internet is loaded with rn jobs.Another thing lvn are not wanted,cna get jobs before lvns.We are not payed very well either.We can do every thing the rn can do,but not paid what we are worth.I don,t think the pt. get very good trement without the lvns.Thanks for letting me vent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Long Beach, California

81 months ago

Attention all lvns,Iwould like to start a support group for lvns.As a lvn we need to stick together.We are not treated fairly,we are overworked and under paid.You can email me at fluss1018@netzero.com os send your respond toIndeed.com hope to get response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Fort Worth, Texas

80 months ago

I too have been an LVN for 25 years and was hearing the same RN only status rumors when I was six weeks into lVN school. I have never worked in hospitals and don't want to. I went into private duty right after school and do home health for pediatrics (I am vent trained and work nights so the demand is very high) and also do crisis care for Hospice patients. Both areas have allowed me the flexibility to work for full time pay in two or three nights a week and raise four daughetrs as a single mom. At the very worst we would have to be grandfathered into RN positions with our LVN status and on the job training if laws change. Frankly, in private duty the pay is not different for RN's and unless our health care system were to be completely revamped, I can't see putting more time or money into taking an RN license. Ten percent of all new graduates in nursing never use their licenses because our health care system is such a mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

cullentlc in San Antonio, Texas

79 months ago

The rumor of doing away with LVN's has been going around since I graduated LVN school in 1998. With the nursing shortage and the projected worsening of the shortage I wouldn't think it is even possible. Frankly we are cheaper than the RN and there are only a few things that we cannot do that they can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Fort Worth, Texas

78 months ago

Rebecca in San Francisco, California said: Can LVN's work in home health care. Everyone is telling me to shoot for the stars and become an RN, but getting into the local LVN program will be easier, plus I am not sure I really want to work in a hospital setting. I prefer the one on one slower pace. Any advice??

I began home health care and private duty 25 years ago straight out of LVN school and have never regretted it or changed fields. I do home health pediatrics and was vent trained by the agency that I worked for which makes the demand for your service very high and I also do continuous care shifts (12 hour bedside care, one on one) with hospice patients. Love both areas and make more enough money to work only three times a week if I choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Yes, LVN's can work in Home Health and practically anywhere. I worked mainly Assisted Living and just recently moved into Long Term Care. If you are looking for a slower pace Homehealth or Hospice is probably a good choice. You don't have to work in a hospital to be successfull. I Have been a LVN for 10 years and have never set foot in a hospital. It all depends on what you want to do. Just remember the Hospital will take you as a new grad and give you some valuable experience that they aren't necessarily willing to do once you've been out of school for a few years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Fremont, California

78 months ago

Here in Northern CA, Kaiser Permanente has taken ALL LVN's out of the hospital. You know, they do treat LVN's like they are nothing. CNA's certainly get more respect than LVN's. I feel like we work just as hard as RN's with some exceptions on not doing some procedures. It really is a shame. I think as LVN's we need to fight back and let the public know how valuable LVN's are. We contribute a lot to the medical field and don't get paid for it. It is ridiculous. Any comments? I would love to hear from you. Mesaray@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chelly in Dallas, Texas

78 months ago

Hello I was intrested in becoming a LVN actually I was debating if I should go to school for medical assisting or LVN. I to also heard that LVN jobs would be no more. The rumor is Medical Assistants would replace LVN's how true is that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Hello!

I think that if you want to choose between doing the medical assistant program or the LVN program, definately go for the LVN program. The doors open up greatly when you become an LVN. After completion of the LVN program you are more than half way through becoming an RN. I started out as a Medical Assistant and there is no comparison between the two titles. Medical Assistant is not licensed therefore pay is a lot less but as an LVN you get more pay and you also have an opportunity to further your education The LVN program is also very intense so be prepared for it. I did my program through a community college which is also way cheaper than a private program. Good Luck, feel free to ask more questions. The only thing that bothers many LVN's is that LVN's do a lot of the work that RN's do but do not get the respect or pay that they deserve and this is a reason why so many LVN's push to get their RN. Have a good day :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chelly in Garland, Texas

77 months ago

I would like to make a comment on the remark melainie made about cna's being treated better than lvns that is so not true I am a cna and we are overworked and under payed not all positions are like that but most are im speaking from experience our job duties consist of bathing people and feeding them easy huh no i didn't mention the overweight fiesty residents who like to curse you out and fight on you what aboutcleaning bm from them and changing there clothes everytime that spill something not to mention having to care for 15 or more residents in an 8 hour period very challenging for only eight dollars an hour Im really just getting started what about the never satisfied relative who want you to be there for there every beck and call . What about all of the rules you have to abide by and there's more i dont wish to go on it just makes me mad to think about how no one seems to care and all lvns can do is complain! lets trade i would love to fill out forms all day sitting at a desk doing customer service and answering the phone for 20 dollars an hour. maybe even doing a few catherders or treatments after all if I need to move someone i will just call the cna that under me. like they always do . the bottom line here is be thankful that your not a cna and dont take advantage of what you have because you do have an advantage over the people under you. love what you do there are challenges in everything we do in life . you just have to make the best of it. coming from a certified no body cna's do look up to lvns . take care and think about what you have under ur belt of course we all could be in a better situation but we are were we are for a reason!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melody in Dortmund, Germany

77 months ago

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time being a CNA. I do hear what you are saying and as I said that I have a lot of respect for CNA's. Being an LVN is also stressful because we do almost everything that an RN does and don't get paid even half of what they get paid. You mentioned $8.00 hr for CNA in your area. I live in Northern CA and they pay CNA's up to $20.00 an hour. LVN's up to $29.00 hour and RN's up to $50.00 hour. The cost of living here is also extremly high. My point is that LVN's are doing a lot but do not get that kind of respect that and RN gets. I think that it is unfair and with all this data showing that we have a nursing shortage, there is not much assistance to help LVN's move up to being an RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ameena Shahid in Long Beach, California

77 months ago

I fully understand how hard it is to be a CNA because I have been there. I was a CNA for five years before going to school to become an LVN and I am still trying to climb up the ladder to RN and eventually MD. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. If it wasn't for the rude patient, hard sweat and tears, and ungratefull family members, I wouldn't have been able to get angry enough to fight to go to the next level. Just remember the higher you go in the medical field the easier it will get. Just stay positive and make changes NOW!!! Don't be in the same angry mind state ten years from now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

CNA's can certainly get more that 8 an hour around you Chelly, unless you are not certified or working in assisted Living? Sounds like you are a bit burnt out and have just worked with the wrong people. All nurses don't act that way and a lot of us were CNA's first. The easiest thing one can do is take responsiblity for our own outlook be it positive or negative. CNA's are the backbone of LTC and ALF's, they wouldn't survive without you. Just remember that the nurse sitting at the desk along with the title is probably taking on a lot more responsibility than you can see with your eyes and the forms are a requirement most of us hate with a passion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Palo Alto, California

77 months ago

That's funny. I live in northern California and I've never heard of a CNA being paid 20 bucks an hour. I'm a CNA, but I'm going to school to become an LVN soon. All of the jobs I've had I've been treated very badly by the nurses, most of the time they were RN's. The LVN's for the most part were usually really nice and always willing to help the CNA's if they weren't busy. The RN's on the other hand, forget it. You couldn't count on them for anything. They would never help out even if there weren't enough CNA's on the floor. They'd usually sit around and read the newspaper or talk on the phone. One lady even did her nails! It was extremely irritating. =\

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Adri in Austin, Texas

77 months ago

I learned a hard lesson this short ride in my LVN career. I worked at a hospital for pennies as an LVN and after a year I decided it was time for a change so I went to a long term care facility making almost double what I did in the hospital. What i realized was I was much happier working for the pennies on the dollar verses this higher pay. Money isn't everything ...well i guess now i grasp that concept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Vidor, Texas

77 months ago

Shelby in Austin, Texas said: I have a friend that is currently in school in Dallas. She has stated that in the next few yrs that there will not be any LVN positions open. Only RN positions. I think shes a nerd and that who ever the source is has to be equal. Because I know that every where I look it seems like cities/states are screaming about a nursing shortage. I know the differences between RN & LVN but a nurse is a nurse. And to do away with one makes no sense. That would require everyone to go thru RN school which is longer and of course that means longer to get the nurses and more to keep the old ones til the newbies are out of school...... any ideas? any rumors?? I am curious bc I finally decided to go back to school and with a 2 yr old I can not handle RN school and honestly want to be around for my daughter. Thanks :)

For what it's worth, they were saying the same thing 25 years ago when I was going through LVN school. Most RNs don't want to do the work LVNs do, like caring for the elderly in nursing homes, and most doctors can't afford to pay for RNs to do what LVNs will do for less money. As an LVN who was too busy raising a family to go on to RN school, I find it difficult to move from job to job and maintain my salary as a long time LVN. I recommend pursuing your RN and even BSN for better opportunities. It's frustrating when you are expected to and capable of doing the work of the RN and never being able to match their salaries! I recently resigned a supervisory position managing 3 RNs because my employer didn't think I was worth the extra $15k-$25k more a year that these subordinates were making.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria Marshall in Fremont, California

76 months ago

I agree with Jessica in Palo Alto. I am in northern California too. I've never heard of a CNA is getting paid 20 bucks/hour. I am a CNA and getting paid 12 bucks/hour. But I am not planning to go for LVN school, because they are being phasing out, and this fact is somewhat true too. I am seeing some LVNs in my nursing home that they are working as a CNA, because they could not find the LVN jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

hmm, maybe a cali thing. no prob in TX. In fact there is only 1 RN to 7 LVN's at the SNF I work at. They have been talking phase out for more than 10 years. Bottom line with the shortage of nurses it will never happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Hi Melanie,

It must be a CA thing. One of our major health care organizations (Kaiser) has eliminated all LVN's from the hospital. I know this is true for Northern CA, not sure about other areas? It is scary and I feel very unfair! The LVN's do a lot and I still can't understand why they would do this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

The one thing I have noticed in TX is that is that they will treat you only with what you will let them. I do fine as far as pay rate and if they don't treat me they way I expect I leave and go somewhere else. The jobs are plentiful. Of coarse I am in LTC though, which makes a difference. I couldn't believe the Hospitals were paying so much less?

Cherilynn in Chula Vista, California

76 months ago

I am also going to go back to school to become an LVN, but after doing some reading on the web, it seems that I should go all out and go to school to become an RN. The main reason I am choosing LVN is because I have 3 small children and I think it would be more practical for me to take the shorter course and start brining in some income sooner.

I live in So. California (San Diego County) and there still seems to be a demand for LVNs. Even at Kaiser there were openings...not many full time but the opportunities were there.

Anyone from this area with comments, advice...actually advice from anyone anywhere is appreciated.

Ariel in Irvine, California

76 months ago

Melanie in Fremont, California said: Wow! You quit? I do understand your frustration. I have been an LVN for 5 years and for some reason LVN's are given no credit by a lot of RN's and managers. I just can't understand it! We have also gone through nursing school and in fact here in CA (not sure about other states), we have completed more than half of the RN program because if you choose to go back to get your RN, you can get it in 8 months. A lot of LVN's cannot do this because they have to work and the LVN to RN program really is a full time program. This frustration has also been pushing me towards going to get my RN. I feel like why put up with it? Once you are an RN, you get treated well, with respect and get paid way more. My sister just got her BSN and started a job as an RN starting pay at $46.00 per hour vs an LVN who gets about $25.00 start pay and ending in about $29.00. Also keep in mind, that I live in the Bay Area and the cost of living is extremly high here. Hang in there and keep your head up as an LVN. I certainly do face the people who think less of LVN's and explain to them my point just so that they change their train of thought about LVN's. If we were of no value, how come we had to take a NCLEX for LVN (state exam), we are given authority in our scope of practice to do many procedures, including giving blood transfusions, starting IV's, tube feedings, medication administration etc......... This is a HUGE responsibility and RN's need to start giving a lot more credit to LVN's, indefinately!!!! Good luck and don't let other people get in the way of your career. All LVN's are as important as RN's. I would like to hear from some RN's to see why LVN's get this kind of treatment. I really want to understand. Do they feel threatened by LVN's thinking that they will take their job? I really would like to know? Take Care!!

Would you please tell me how to get from LVN to RN in 8 months in CA. I am curious.

Ariel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

leigh in Eureka, California

75 months ago

Annie in Long Beach, California said: Attention all lvns,Iwould like to start a support group for lvns.As a lvn we need to stick together.We are not treated fairly,we are overworked and under paid.You can email me at fluss1018@netzero.com os send your respond toIndeed.com hope to get response.

I just found out that all the RNS at my hospltal got an across the board raise and the lvns got nothing because we do not plan to hire any more lvns. I work medsurg and I work just as hard or harder that most of the rns. What can we do?

75 months ago

If you ask me, I think LVN's need to form a group to bring awareness to the public about who we are, what we do, how we are not that different than RN's. This awareness will bring more appreciation for LVN's, a greater job outlook and possibly uniting with RN's in a positive way. Some RN's tend to look down on LVN's. Lets change that and try to have the two teams respect each other. LVN's are extremly important to the health care field. We put our hearts into the care of our patient's. We follow our scope of practice which involved a rigorous and challenging nursing program and also involved an NCLEX for LVN Board exam. As a result of passing this exam, we got licensed. There is no reason to be disrespected by other health care professionals. We put in our time and proved that we are competent enough to perform patient care. So LVN's out there, any ideas on this LVN awareness that we need to bring forward to the public. Another BIG issue is the HUGE pay difference from LVN to RN. LVN's deserve good pay as well!!!! I would love to hear from all you LVN's. Take Care!

Ariel in Irvine, California

75 months ago

I completely agree with you. I am sick and tired of being treated like crap by some RNs. And pay difference is HUGE, but I don't know how this could be changed.
I homeschool my children, work 2 shifts per week (registry), and simply can not imagine myself going back to school and getting that RN license at this stage of my life.

Ariel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave 5000 in Fenton, Missouri

75 months ago

Ariel in Irvine, California said: Would you please tell me how to get from LVN to RN in 8 months in CA. I am curious.

Ariel

I've got the same question how do you get to RN in 8 months

kel in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

That's what they been said for the pass decade

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Mountain View, California

75 months ago

Can you repeat that in english?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Repeat what in English? If you don't understand english than you are in the wrong place, my friend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa

75 months ago

Melanie in Fremont, California said: Wow! You quit? I do understand your frustration. I have been an LVN for 5 years and for some reason LVN's are given no credit by a lot of RN's and managers. I just can't understand it! We have also gone through nursing school and in fact here in CA (not sure about other states), we have completed more than half of the RN program because if you choose to go back to get your RN, you can get it in 8 months. A lot of LVN's cannot do this because they have to work and the LVN to RN program really is a full time program. This frustration has also been pushing me towards going to get my RN. I feel like why put up with it? Once you are an RN, you get treated well, with respect and get paid way more. My sister just got her BSN and started a job as an RN starting pay at $46.00 per hour vs an LVN who gets about $25.00 start pay and ending in about $29.00. Also keep in mind, that I live in the Bay Area and the cost of living is extremly high here. Hang in there and keep your head up as an LVN. I certainly do face the people who think less of LVN's and explain to them my point just so that they change their train of thought about LVN's. If we were of no value, how come we had to take a NCLEX for LVN (state exam), we are given authority in our scope of practice to do many procedures, including giving blood transfusions, starting IV's, tube feedings, medication administration etc......... This is a HUGE responsibility and RN's need to start giving a lot more credit to LVN's, indefinately!!!! Good luck and don't let other people get in the way of your career. All LVN's are as important as RN's. I would like to hear from some RN's to see why LVN's get this kind of treatment. I really want to understand. Do they feel threatened by LVN's thinking that they will take their job? I really would like to know? Take Care!!

Would you mind notifying us which RN program on what school that it can be completed in 8 months? Thanks .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Unitek College in Fremont, CA. They have a LVN to RN 8 month program. Cost is $38,000. Hope this helps.

Beatrize Agustin in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

Rebecca in San Francisco, California said: Can LVN's work in home health care. Everyone is telling me to shoot for the stars and become an RN, but getting into the local LVN program will be easier, plus I am not sure I really want to work in a hospital setting. I prefer the one on one slower pace. Any advice??

Yes LVN's can work in home health care. They can work pretty much any health setting. Everyone is telling me to shoot for the stars too.. but for some reason I dont feel comfortable yet to become an RN. LVN/LPN will atleast put my foot in the door and I can test the water.. and I can always "upgrade" myself to RN since having an LVN/LPN license will make it easier to get into the RN program.. which in California is like, the hardest thing to get into =( (i bet for others too)..

anyway, I just got into the LVN program at CCSF =)

75 months ago

Theresa said: Would you mind notifying us which RN program on what school that it can be completed in 8 months? Thanks .

There is a 30 unit LVN brdge to RN at CCSF (City College of San Francisco).. hmm.. 30 unit, I guess thats 2 semesters? 3 the most. But it beats Uniteks 38k tuition. The program will cost you less than 1000. The only drawback is that CCSF Nursing programs is lotterized. Wouldnt help to try out though =).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Dave 5000 in Fenton, Missouri said: I've got the same question how do you get to RN in 8 months

I believe its a bridge from LVN to RN. So if you already have completed an LVN program.. you can qualify to apply for an 8 month program instead of a whole 2 years. From what a previous poster said.. you can do this at Unitek in Fremont CA but with a tuition price of 38k. There should be bridging programs at city colleges all over CA and they are much cheaper.. as far as I know.. the one in CCSF is under 1k but you can only get in through lottery.

shelly

75 months ago

Melanie in Fremont, California said: Hello!

I think that if you want to choose between doing the medical assistant program or the LVN program, definately go for the LVN program. The doors open up greatly when you become an LVN. After completion of the LVN program you are more than half way through becoming an RN. I started out as a Medical Assistant and there is no comparison between the two titles. Medical Assistant is not licensed therefore pay is a lot less but as an LVN you get more pay and you also have an opportunity to further your education The LVN program is also very intense so be prepared for it. I did my program through a community college which is also way cheaper than a private program. Good Luck, feel free to ask more questions. The only thing that bothers many LVN's is that LVN's do a lot of the work that RN's do but do not get the respect or pay that they deserve and this is a reason why so many LVN's push to get their RN. Have a good day :)

Wht is the LVN program so difficult? What all is expected of you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

The LVN program is very intensive. A lot is expected of you! You have to learn nursing care to patient which involves procedures and medication administration, assessments, documentation and so on. There is no comparison between medical assisting and being a LVN. They are two different practices. When you are an LVN you have a license from the state that you will be practicing in. I was a medical assistant before I became an LVN and if you want to be a nurse and don't have all the pre-requisites for the RN program than go for the LVN program but if you have all the pre-requisites for the RN program just go straight into the RN program. Most LVN's further their education to get their RN license. The pay difference is huge between the two. You also have a broader scope of practice. Hope this helps, Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gehngis-jon in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

Good luck going from LVN to RN.As long as you do not have any other things to interfere with your classes and studying and you do not have to work,then things should be fine.For years,the RN community had all kinds of roadblocks and hurdles to keep LVN's from becoming RN's.It is much easier to make the transition now.Watch out for all the people who will try to trip you up.

Nancy in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

chelly in Garland, Texas said: I would like to make a comment on the remark melainie made about cna's being treated better than lvns that is so not true I am a cna and we are overworked and under payed not all positions are like that but most are im speaking from experience our job duties consist of bathing people and feeding them easy huh no i didn't mention the overweight fiesty residents who like to curse you out and fight on you what aboutcleaning bm from them and changing there clothes everytime that spill something not to mention having to care for 15 or more residents in an 8 hour period very challenging for only eight dollars an hour Im really just getting started what about the never satisfied relative who want you to be there for there every beck and call . What about all of the rules you have to abide by and there's more i dont wish to go on it just makes me mad to think about how no one seems to care and all lvns can do is complain! lets trade i would love to fill out forms all day sitting at a desk doing customer service and answering the phone for 20 dollars an hour. maybe even doing a few catherders or treatments after all if I need to move someone i will just call the cna that under me. like they always do . the bottom line here is be thankful that your not a cna and dont take advantage of what you have because you do have an advantage over the people under you. love what you do there are challenges in everything we do in life . you just have to make the best of it. coming from a certified no body cna's do look up to lvns . take care and think about what you have under ur belt of course we all could be in a better situation but we are were we are for a reason!!!!

I am sorry you have had that experience with nurses.I have been a nurse for 6 years and started in long term care.I could not have done my job without the CNA's they work a very hard job and I really appreciated them.Not all nurses are unthankful and rude!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Chelly,

There is no doubt that CNA's have a hard job. I was basically doing a comparison between LVN's and RN's. I am so sorry to hear that you have such a bad experience. LVN's do more than just sit down and fill out paper work and do "customer service." If you were in the LVN shoes and knew the full responsibilites of an LVN, you would not say that all we do is call the CNA that is working with us. When you agreed to the CNA position you knew that this is what goes along with the CNA job description. Please do not take out your anger on LVN's. It sounds like maybe you should further your education or change fields if you are that angry about your job duties. LVN's have more responsibility and we we need to handle the other part that CNA's cannot do, like medication administration and tons of other procedures, documentation etc..... If it was not that involved we would not have to get a license to work as an LVN. We would not have to go through an extensive nursing program and study as hard as I did and go through clinicals. I don't think that LVN's just complain!!!! I think that when you compare LVN and RN's the LVN's are doing a lot of the procedures that RN's do and we just would like to be fairly compensated. For example, in California a new nurse would be offered $45.00 per hour and a new LVN would be offered $25.00 an hour. There is a huge gap here and that is what I am talking about. ALLLLLLLLL nurses truely appreciate CNA's because they do a lot so please get that part clear in your head. Sometimes when we are working under pressure, it may not show but CNA's really make a difference and are a huge part of the health care team!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa

75 months ago

Melanie in Fremont, California said: Unitek College in Fremont, CA. They have a LVN to RN 8 month program. Cost is $38,000. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the info.

sharon in Lompoc, California

75 months ago

I agree there should be a support group i have been a lvn over 30 years and having difficult time find a job.

Annie in Long Beach, California said: Attention all lvns,Iwould like to start a support group for lvns.As a lvn we need to stick together.We are not treated fairly,we are overworked and under paid.You can email me at fluss1018@netzero.com os send your respond toIndeed.com hope to get response.

shelly

75 months ago

I am interested in going into nursing as a second career. What is the most difficult part of nursing. The technical skills, being perfect in everything you do? I realize poeple's lives are at stake. How can nurses hold up to that daily stress of being perfect?

75 months ago

For me the most challenging part of nursing is when the paperwork takes time away from a patient who could use a bit of 1:1 time and working with some people who would rather do that paperwork than have to "deal" with the patient.
No one is perfect, if you try to be perfect you will fail. Experience is the best teacher. All one can do is manage your time effectively, use the common sense God hopefully gave you (not all people have it I have learned), and prioritize where to start first. Just do the best you can and be sure to leave work at work. Balance between home and work is essential. I personally take a long weekend or a week off every 3-6 months to rejuvinate. Oh, and I smoke, but I don't advise you start that..lol

jules in San Francisco, California

75 months ago

im 20 years old and i really want to become a nurse. I still live at home with my parents and i work 40 hours a week. Im looking into an LVN program and i want to know if anyone thinks its a good idea to pay 23,000 for this program. Do any LVNs think being an LVN is worth the money? Honestly. Help me out before i make a huge mistake!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Mountain View, California

75 months ago

23k is a rippoff!How long woill it take you to pay it off when you will only be making between $13-$16/hr. as a new grad.Nobody wants to pay LVN's what they are worth.This is one of the reasons why I quit being an LVN after 15yrs.
Nursing is a road to burnout.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa

75 months ago

Since you mentioned that you quit as LVN. Therefore, are you RN now? Conversely, do you have a better job that it may be some of us need to know if you would not mind to share with us? Thanks in advance.

Theresa

75 months ago

The Drug test is applied to nursing program, so there is no randomly. It is applied to all nurses.

Theresa

75 months ago

are nurses randomly drug tested???
Im very interested in becoming one but also enjoy smoking..... on my days off.

Reply - View Comments anxious in Macomb, Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I could not located your question on the post I am attached your question.

The Drug test is applied to nursing program, so there is no randomly. It is applied to all nurses

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gehngis-jon in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

There are too many junkies and boozers in nursing already.Most start because of the stress of the job.Most employers drug test all new employees.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.