LVN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 386)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

Kev in Arcadia, California

94 months ago

For Lynwood adult school you actually have to take TWO tests. first one is TABE,then you wait for about one week for them to notify you by mail whether you pass or not. If you do pass they'll ask you to take the second test- PSB (PSB Aptitude for Practical Nursing Examination) which is a lot harder.
I think by comparison, Lynwood is harder to get in than downey and la puente schools.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

07falcons in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

how many test do you have to take to get in the lynwood adult lvn program

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

vanessa in Los angeles,ca in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Hi Kev in Arcadia,

Could you tell me approximately what time do they give out the tests? Can you leave early if you finish your test early? (I have to be back at the Preschool in Culver city to pick up my son). Did you the result yet? How did you do? Please let me know. Thank you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

To answer 07falcons' question, there are two tests, TABE for basic english and math. After you took the TABE test you just have to wait for them to send you a notice letter to your home to inform you whether you pass the test or not. If you do, they'll ask you to go back to take the 2nd, and I believe it's the last test, PSB Aptitude test which not only involves english and math but also science.

Lynwood is still giving out test this month. They give out test every Tuesday at 8AM in the morning, it's a walk-in test so you want to arrive as early as possible to get a seat. I recommend arriving BEFORE 7:30am and just park on street in front of school. Bring a $10 bill + a envelope with your return address/post stamp on it. The test is 3 parts, 25 questions each. 1 reading, 1 comp math, 1 app math. they claim those test are for 9th/10th grade level. I felt this is the easiest TABE test I had took so far, more like elementary school level. but I receive a notice letter said I did not pass reading... I'm still in shock right now LoL. Anyway, it's really competitive right now no matter which school you go to for their LVN program, there is hundreds of people trying to get that 20-30 position each school has to offer. I'm thinking about getting CNA class instead if I can't get into a public school. Each school use their own test, for example La Puente/Hacienda use TABE Level A test for 12th grade level. I was told the passing score is 12.0+. Downey use TABE Level D test. For Lynwood I'm not sure, but it felt like below level D. But the PSB is what you need to worry about (www.psbtests.com/site/products/apneref.html)
Another hot school is East Los Angeles Occupation Center. They fill up so fast I never got a chance to enroll for their test. The test is 9/10th grade level according to their website. School like Rosemead/El Monte Adult school require you to have medical terminology class taken before you can take their LVN entrance exam.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

vanessa, I recall Lynwood's TABE test is about 75 questions total but they are short paragraph or questions so you probably won't spend more than an hour there. I did leave early when I took the test :-D. You do English first, after you finish them, turn them in and get math. The sooner you finish your test the sooner you can leave, they give you more than enough time to finish those tests as opposite to other schools. At least for their TABE test, I don't know about their PSB test.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Thank you So much for the info. Kevin. I took the test on Tuesday March 9, 10 at Lynwood Adult school. Let's see how I did?. You're right the questions aren't hard but they are tricky. The answers are very similar so you would have to be careful when chosing the answers. 2 parts of the exams!!! They sure make it difficult to get in. I can't remember anything about Science....It has been too long since I have been out of school. 20 years ago.

I am going to take the test at Downey Adult school today!!!. Wish me luck. I wonder what is the chance of me getting in at Downey? Looks like I would have to attend private vocational nursing school instead.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Vanessa, I wish you good luck on both of your tests. If you did pass the TABE test at Lynwood and wonder what to study for the PSB test, I suggest heading to library and pick up books that has title like "Nursing School Entrance Exam" those books cover the science part. I don't have any medical background at all, so I was hoping I can get lucky enough to take LVN course directly but then realize it's really competitive to get into a public school with so many people trying to do the same. I'm considering to give up trying LVN for now and go take CNA to get my basics in place first.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Hi Kev,

I think I did okay at Lynwood Adult School but I am not sure about Downey Adult School...I was running out of time on 2nd part of the math. On top of that I would have to compete with 499 people. A slim chance for me to get in Kev.

I am gonna try to prepare for Lywood Adult School(2nd test)...Anyway if I can't get in either one I will just have to attend a private Nursing School. It is so expensive Kev. I guess that is the only way to go....sadly but truth. I will have to get a loan. There is no alternative. I don't have time to way..

Again Thank You Soo Much for all your help Kev...Good luck to you too...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jobless LVN in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

I went to East Los Angeles Education & Career Center off of Marengo & Soto (10fwy) in Los Angeles...........Great program, low cost, there is worksource I believe still, and they reimburse for almost everything with a contract to work for a hospital they are affiliated with.......That is the way to go because I have not found a job in 1yr and a lot of my friends (who went through the worksource) have been working at that hospital since they got their license...........It's very fustrating going to interviews and being turned down for not having the experience ( i declined worksource and paid on my own).....so if you go through an adult school, go through the work source center and get placed even if they pay $10/hr......you'll get your foot in.....Good luck to everyone, it's worth the long nights of studying---at least it was for me!
Ask for Alma @ ELAECC....there are other schools through the Los Angeles Unified School District-----check it out!

Reply - Report abuse

jobless LVN in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Ike2010 in Los Angeles, California said: I live in Hawthorne and intending to attend LVN classes. When I look at the private schools, their fees are so much that it scaring. Even when you are going to be given loans and other things. I still see it being expensive. A friend refered me to Lynwood and Downey Adult schools. I would like to know if these are good enough and from what I can read on others comments their is a worksource contract that can assist to pay the school fees and you work for them for a one year. How far is this information is true?

Moreso do you know more Adult schools around that offers LVN in a cheaper fee?

Hello, check out schools through LAUSD, I went to East Los Angeles Educaiton & Caeer Center off the 10fwy......Its a great program, you have to pass testing, a group interview with the director, and maintain a high GPA in order to stay in the program, but its worth it! They do have option for worksource and I highly recommend it...I declined the offer and I regret it! It's hard to get a job as a new grad, and with the worksource they place you at the hospital (after an interview) ad you get your foot in that way! If you decide to call East LA ECC, asl for Alma.
Good luck! Dont pay $$$$ for a private school---it's less than $3,000 through LAUSD

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Jobless do you have the website address or actually address of that LAUSD school? I hope you are not referring to the East Los Angeles Occupational Center that I know off 10 freeway at Soto st. That school is exhausted from people who want to take their entrance exam for LVN. I was there at January this year and was told registration for entrance exam for LVN is full already.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

www.bvnpt.ca.gov/education/schools/vn_schools.shtml

Here is a list of all accredited nursing schools in California, public and private.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Looks like someone mention about the accredit schools link before. But since he didn't give out the exact address, here it is.
The link above was for all accredit LVN schools in California, the link below is the passing rate of schools. With public schools so hard to get in now, private schools is actually a good option at this time.

www.bvnpt.ca.gov/education/vn_stats.shtml

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Again Thanks SOOO Much Kevin. Thank you for All the Info you have sent me. You have been so kind. I already checked out the private schools ..Just waiting for Downey and Lynwood results. A slim chance I may say. I alread checked out the private nursing schools and looks like this is the only wait to go. Casa Loma College is my first choice. About 6k less than Concorde College and more with American Career Career College. The info that I got from you helps me a lot.

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Hi Jobless,

I appreciated so much of your info. I called but there is a waiting list almost everywhere to take the exam...I called most of the Adult schools in LAUD since the budget cut doesn't help

I know it is very expensive but since I am jobless and in the 30's it is tough for me. I am still waiting for Downey and Lynwood Adult schools. A slim chance...

Everywhere there is a waiting list. I tried other communities college as well. Looks like private school is the only way for me...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

cmbahm57 in San Dimas, California

94 months ago

Hi do you know if they're still testing at Lynwood? Thanks

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

You're very welcome Vanessa. I too, decided to go with private school. It's too competitive at public schools right now. The American Career College you mentioned cost $32k. I believe most schools cost around $30k nowdays. Some of the schools require you to take certain courses first or even be CNA certified first before you can take their LVN class. Of course, we want a program we can jump in straight.
Finish the program ASAP and get a job ASAP.

I'm also in the same situation you are now, I think public schools at this point is hopeless and I simply can't afford to wait for next year to try my luck again among hundreds of competitors fighting for that limited 30 position for each school. I will go with private school and let them help you file federal financial aid.

Reply - Report abuse

vanessa in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Hi Kev,

After all the thinkings I just signed up with Casa Loma College is the one that I will go. The tuition fee is $28,310 vs. $33,500 at Concorde College. Not only that the lady name Jessica at the Concorde College in Garden Grove was so unprofessional. I had the same experience with American Career as I did with Concorde College.

My other choice was Pacific College in Costa Mesa(the cost is $27,500 included everything) but after finding out there were some negative comments about their adminstration office I decided Casa Loma College is the one for me. I had a chance to talk with Mark/Casa Loma College. He seems very nice. Very helpful and professional. They are working on getting the LVN bridge RN program. Hopefully by the timne I am done with the LVN, I can finish my RN with them.

$28,310 is a lot of money but I figured if I could make it through, pass the exam, and at no time I will be able to pay back the loan.
Too bad don't qualify for any cal Grants. The grants will help you..

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Yes they are still doing testing until April, 10. Please read below. Just show up at 8am to take the test. It is first come first serve. Good luck to you

Fall 2010 Vocational Nursing Class
Pre-testing & evaluations begin on Tuesday, February 23, 2010.
Testing continues every Tuesday morning at 8:30 AM through the end of April 2010.
Vocational Nursing prerequisites: High School Diploma or GED

Test is held at 12124 Bullis Road, Lynwood, CA 90262.

Please bring the following items when you come for testing:

Photo ID
$10 Fee
#2 Pencil
Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE)

Cost for Vocational Nursing Program $3,200.
The program is 13 months long. The next class is scheduled to begin in early September 2010.
Classes are held Monday - Friday, 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply - Report abuse

cmbahm57 in Redondo Beach, California

94 months ago

Thanks so much for the info!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Liss in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Lynwood adult school for LVN program under 3000 sounds great!! It's pretty much down the street for me and I'd like to go in for the testing on Tuesday morning but I'm sooooo scared I will not pass. I'm super bad at math. Please if anyone has passed that initial assessment test, can you please tell me what is on it. Please don't just write basic math and english!!! Be specific, maybe even write down what kind of problems were on there. Like examples. Do I need to know like formulas and stuff like that????!!! I would soooo greatly appreciate it if someone would write me back about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) Thank you so much! Liss

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Hi Liss,

I hope this will help. Let's see if my memory is still good because I took the exam at Lynwood approximately 2 weeks by tommorow and still waiting for the result from them. They give you two hours to complete your test. There are two parts of the test: English and Math

1)English:
-You read a paragraph and choose a word that have the same meaning/opposite meaning. example: a synonym of effective is successful
-punctuation, capitalization, spelling,

2)Math:
Multiplication, example: 817 x 6= 4902
Division, example: 60 divided 300=
Fraction:7-4/5=6 1/5, 2 2/8+ 3 3/8= 5 5/8, 3/4 x 2/9 =1/6
Decimal: .3 +.3=.6, 4.05+0.08=4.13, 11.112-10.021=1.091
Intergret:-13-12=-25, -100x4= -400
percent: 1% x90=.9

The 1st test at Lynwood is not as hard as Downey Adult school. They give you two hours to complete and I finished it within an hour and 10 minutes. I think I was the 3rd one that left early. I was told that if you don't pass the 1st test, you are not allow to come back to take any more test. The 2nd test at Lynwood is what I am more concern of.

Downey is much more stricter when it comes to taking est than at Lynwood adult school. You are not allow to bring in anthing. They monitor very tight making sure no one cheats.

The good sid at Downey Adult school is you are allow to take as many times as you wish. Their test is a little bit harder. There were 4 parts: 2 parts of English and 2 parts of math. I felt like I didn't enough time to do one of the math.

I would have to say if English is your native language then you shouldn't have to worry. I myself wasn't born here and came here much later.

Hopefully this will help you a little bit. I am confident that you'll be okay. Just remember to relax. I know it is hard but you can do it. Check you answer twice/three times because the answers are very similar and if you go too fast you may miss it.

So GOOD LUCK Liss

Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Hey Liss,

Corrections: There should be 4 parts when taking the test at Lynwood: 2 parts in English and 2 parts in Math. And I meant to say It's hard to relax when you are taking the test but if you could stay relax it will help you a lot.

Reply - Report abuse

Liss in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Wow! Thanks Vannessa! That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for, I think what you've written will help a lot of people! Just one more question,.... do they let you bring a calculator? lol! Atleast give you a sheet of paper or both? :)

Reply - Report abuse

vanessa in Venice, California

94 months ago

You're very welcome Liss. Glad to help. You're Not allow to bring a calculator. You can have a blank sheet of paper but if you need more just ask. The two ladies that monitor the test are very nice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

thequack in Bellflower, California

94 months ago

the list of ppl accepted into the pre lvn class at downey adult school have been posted it's on their website

ill be taking the lynwood test on tuesday

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

thequack in Bellflower, California

94 months ago

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Hi Thequack in Bellflower, California

Thank you for informing me about Downey Adult school website. I didn't make the list. (I was running out of time on 2nd part of math)... I am still waiting for the result from Lynwood Adult school...

How did you do on Lynwood's Test?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Thanks for posting the downey adult school link. I didn't make it either lol :-)
the list shows 72 people was selected which I find it really odd because it should be 60 to take the pre-vn class then they keep final 30 plus 2 more as backup according to the information they release in orientation.
Vanessa, you haven't got your result from Lynwood yet?! it's been almost a month now since you took their test. you should give them a call if you haven't receive mail from them.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Kevin,

Glad to hear from you, how are you doing? I'll be starting the LVN program at Casa Loma college starting next week. How about you?
I just wanted to do the same since you were nice enough to post all the testing info for every one.
I just called Lynwood Adult(just curious to see how I did) but they are not open today.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LACNA in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

C'est Moi in Oakley, California said: WHOA! WHOA! ANY 1 PERSON HERE WHO HAS ATTENDED AN LVN PROGRAM AND PAID OVER $5000.00 WAS SERIOUSLY MISINFORMED TO PUT IT MILDLY AND DUPED TO STRETCH IT A BIT. LYNWOOD ADULT SCHOOL 3 1 0 6 0 4 1 7 8 6 IS A GOOD START AND PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM PRIVATE COLLEGES. PLZ CHECK BVNPT WEBSITE FOR ROP OR ADULT SCHOOLS. DO YOUR HOMEWORK AHEAD OF TIME. CHECK THE BVN WEBSITE AND NOTE THE SCHOOL CLOSEST TO YOU. CALL THE SCHOOL FIND OUT WHEN THEY START ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AND TESTING. BE THE FIRST IN LINE ON APPLICATION AND TEST DATE. TRY 1 OR 2 DIFFERENT PROGRAMS TO BE SURE U GET IN ONE. IF YOU DO THIS AND END UP PAYING MORE THAT $7000. COME BACK HERE AND CALL ME WHATEVER U FEEL. ALL THESE PRIVATE SCHOOLS SPRINGING UP LEFT AND RIGHT AND CHARGING 20 G'S FOR AN LVN PROGRAM WHICH I ATTENDED FOR $2200 (THIS WOULD BE OUT OF POCKET TUITION INCLUDING BOOKS) + I DIDNT HAVE TO PAY 2200 BECAUSE WORK SOURCE PAID THE 2200 FOR ME + REIMBURSED ME FOR MY GAS. MOST OF MY CLASSMATES WHO PAD THE TUITION THEMSLVES PAID NO MORE THAN 3 G'S. PLEASE PLEASE GET INFORMED. SOMETIMES I WONDER HOW PEOPLE END UP PAYING THESE RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS AND WHERE THE HELL ARE OUR CONGRESS AND SENATORS TO START PASSING LAWS TO KEEP THESE RIDICULOUS WORMS FROM TAKING ADVANTAGE OF INNOCENT, HARD WORKING INDIVIDUALS LIKE YOU AND I WHO SIMPLY WANT TO PUT BREAD ON THE TABLE. WITH THESE 20K FEES THEY ARE WORSE THAN PREDATORY LENDER AND MATTER OF FACT THIS IS PREDATORY LENDING FROM MY POINT BECAUSE THEY PREY ON YOUR IGNORANCE AND MAKE YOU SIGN THESE LOANS

Hello, can you please tell me which worksource office you went to, because every one I go to says that they are currently out of funding. Also, did you like the teachers at Lynwood? Thank you

Reply - Report abuse

tazzle in Cave Creek, Arizona

93 months ago

Make sure the state of california board of nursing for LVNs accepts credentials from an online course. Call and check. I'm from CA and last I heard they don't accept online coarses for licensure. You'll need plenty of clinical experience and take it seriously. Speaking from experience. SCRAP the LVN and just go for your RN. In this market you will have more opportunity and better pay. LVNs are considered glorified medical assistants in all too many states and facilities.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

tazzle in Cave Creek, Arizona

93 months ago

Do a lot of research in choosing a school. Just because they are accredited doesn't make them an ethical or good school.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LACNA in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

Thank you! =+)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mariza in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

c'est moi in Modesto, California said: Lynwood Adult School In Lynwood ca off the 105 freeway charges less than 3k. I believe its 2500 and the also contract with worksource which pays your tuition with an agreement tat you work for a specific employer for 1 year. cool huh? Just graduated

do you know the process to get into the program like test you need to do when does classes start because there website does not have any information on it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mariza in Los Angeles, California

93 months ago

i am attending American Career College right now i have actual gotten accepted into the pre lvn course at downey adult school and let me tell you that your chances of getting into the program would have been very slim and they really dnt teach you the math its only handouts and they basically expect you to teach yourself and have a passing score on there math i did this last December 2009. unfortunately i did not pass and which is why i decided to go to American Career College and let me tell u u feel like if you are just money to them because u take a HESSY exam at the end of each quarter and if you dont pass the test on the computer u r dropped from the program and you will be banned for a year until you can return into the program, and will have to pay for the services/education u have received which is like 5,000 after financial aid has kicked in so be very careful and u are planning in attending a private school put all your effort into passing or u will pay literally for it.

Reply - Report abuse

Lady D in Hawthorne, California

93 months ago

CS in Los Angeles, California said: I JUST FOUND OUT FROM MY PROFFESOR FROM A SCHOOL NAME DOWNEY ADULT SCHOOL. THEY JUST CHARGE $4,495. THEY COVER EVERYTHING. THEY ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATION KNOW FOR ORIENTATION.

Yeah but they only accept 30 students and they must have the highest score to enter Downey Adult school.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lady D in Hawthorne, California

93 months ago

Another good school is Career College of America they have the LVN program and there entrance exam is not hard it all if you would like to enter the LVN program in Career Colleges is cPAT test form B or C.

Reply - Report abuse

Marcy S. in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

To anyone who just took the 2nd test at Lynwood....

Has anyone received their test results yet????
Thanks

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kasandra21 in Norwalk, California

92 months ago

Mariza in Los Angeles, California said: i am attending American Career College right now i have actual gotten accepted into the pre lvn course at downey adult school and let me tell you that your chances of getting into the program would have been very slim and they really dnt teach you the math its only handouts and they basically expect you to teach yourself and have a passing score on there math i did this last December 2009. unfortunately i did not pass and which is why i decided to go to American Career College and let me tell u u feel like if you are just money to them because u take a HESSY exam at the end of each quarter and if you dont pass the test on the computer u r dropped from the program and you will be banned for a year until you can return into the program, and will have to pay for the services/education u have received which is like 5,000 after financial aid has kicked in so be very careful and u are planning in attending a private school put all your effort into passing or u will pay literally for it.

The exam is not hard at all...even the actual program is not that bad..i graduated from that school last week

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

rockandrollluvr in Downey, California

92 months ago

Hello,I called but, they do not answer, Do they have a website?
Thank you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

rockandrollluvr in Downey, California

92 months ago

LACNA in Los Angeles, California said: Hello, can you please tell me which worksource office you went to, because every one I go to says that they are currently out of funding. Also, did you like the teachers at Lynwood? Thank you

Hello,I called but, they do not answer, Do they have a website?
Thank you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Marcy S. in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

to kansandra21,
what school are you reffering to?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Rockandrollluvr

92 months ago

I was looking for information on how to get in to the
Lynwood LVN program.If anyone has any information on that
School. I would really appreciate it if you brought it my way.
Thank u

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

LACNA in Buena Park, California

92 months ago

I went to the workforce in East Los Angeles and they said they are out of funding.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

310KD in Irvine, California

91 months ago

Marcy S. in Los Angeles, California said: To anyone who just took the 2nd test at Lynwood....

Has anyone received their test results yet????
Thanks

I just received mine today 6/10/10. I passes the PSB test with high scores to my surprise. 2hen I took the test I walked out not feeling very confident as I did when I took the first tes. But I'm glad I did. Its asking me to go to the school and start the applicarion process, paper work, and to bring certain personal documents; high school diploma, transcrpts, can or other medical licenses. I'm soo happy. I know there is still an interview, I just don't know if this means I'm officially in..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

marlon j. in Torrance, California

91 months ago

i got my test results too and i passed i just duno what reserve if by any chance do u have any idea what that means oh well im goin on tuesday to get my application

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

marlon j. in Torrance, California"]i got my test results too and i passed my psb test i just duno what reserve means. if by any chance do u have any idea what that means? oh well im goin on tuesday to get my application

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

310KD in Irvine, California

91 months ago

My understanding is that the school is still not sure if there going to take the whole 15 to 30 students because of the budget cuts. Now, in my report it doesn't have the reserved checked off, only the passing. I'm assuming that u have better chances in getting a spot then the students that are wait listed. But to be honest, I'm not sure either if passing means I'm officially in. We still have to go through the interview process, I think that's where you have to prove yourself to earn a spot. I'm gonna go pick up my packet tomorrow, and ill ask. Ill post up as soon as I get the info. The report says that the office is only open on tue and wed.... but good luck..I hope this means good things for u.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

i will go pick up my packet now too and ask them questions ill inform you whats gonna happen. thnks

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.