What Schools Have The Best LVN Program In California??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 124)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Narges M. in San Diego, California

28 months ago

whats the best LVN program in san diego?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

raspberrybird in Glendale, California

28 months ago

Check CES COLLEGE in Burbank, www.cescollege.com.
Tuition is much lower than GCC, instructors are good and the staff is very nice and helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice Cooper in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Allan Hancock college and Bakersfield college has the best associate degree programs for nursing. American university of health sciences and Biola university are having good baccalaureate programs for the aspiring nurses. Besides these four there are many other colleges which masters degree in nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

monica in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

i'm in my senior yr. in high school and am starting to volunteer at a clinic in a couple weeks. i am interested in an LVN program at a reasonable price. i dont know anyone in the medical field. so my question is does anyone know of a community college that is accredited and will probably accept me. this is so hard and confusing. especially since i dont really have anyone to help me.

28 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: If you want to get into nursing then attend a state supported community college and get an RN. The job market is so grim now that even RNs can't find jobs. Find the local community college in Los Angeles about the requirements for getting into an RN program. You can try to get some of the prerequisites out of the way while still in high school.

the rn program closest to where i live has a waiting list. so i was thinking of getting into the LVN program then RN. & thnx :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

what kind of prerequistites can i get out of the way? i asked my councelor at school if i could take the medical core class held by ROP and she said no because i didnt need the credits. and i had to go because she had to go to a "meetting".
pretty lousy councelor right?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

27 months ago

Hopares offers some great insight. Before deciding on a particular school, do some research. There are many websites such as <a rel="nofollow" href="www.nursingschools.net/states/california/">NursingSchools.net</a> that can answer many questions about nursing schools, programs, and future career choices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

27 months ago

Hopares offers some great insight. Before deciding on a particular school, do some research. There are many websites such as <a href="www.nursingschools.net/states/california/">this one</a> that can answer many questions about nursing schools, programs, and future career choices.

Caligirl2 in Silicon Valley, California

27 months ago

Hello,

Has anyone gone to Carrington College in San Jose or planning on it?

I hear their LVN program has higher passing rates than some other schools such as Unitek...but they are pricey as heck.

I called them today to get information on whether its a day or eve program and they said I need to stop by campus, they wouldnt tell me over the phone. Crazy.

Anyway, does anyone know if their program is DAY or EVE??

Thanks, any feedback is welcomed. :P

Caligirl2 in Silicon Valley, California

27 months ago

Hi I appreciate your input, however the comm colleges have are so impacted, i would be 50 years old by the time i got in (im 45)

I work in diaysis currently and there are some options as an lvn and of course an rn, but i need to take baby steps due to being a mom and working and going thru divorce.

Im desparate.

nurse wanna be in Woodland Hills, California

27 months ago

school in san jose,
why wouldnt they tell you anything online? something doesnt sound right, if you live close by, then stop by, but if you dont, tell them to mail you the information if they do not give it over the phone. there should be nothing to hide, so if they say "oh we cant give you that info over the phone" didnt you ask why? i mean if you really needed to know something, you can find it on the internet anyways, most schools just want to push you to sign up, i went to casa loma college for a few weeks, it was an accelerated school , so in reality it was like a few months, after they signed me and my grades where a 3.75 average, when it came to clinicals, they terminated me, because they couldnt find a place to have me go , i had a dui in 2010, which they knew of when i enrolled.... but still they managed to terminate me when they found they had reached the state minimum for classes. all im saying is be careful. research research research......

25 months ago

monica in Los Angeles, California said: i'm in my senior yr. in high school and am starting to volunteer at a clinic in a couple weeks. i am interested in an LVN program at a reasonable price. i dont know anyone in the medical field. so my question is does anyone know of a community college that is accredited and will probably accept me. this is so hard and confusing. especially since i dont really have anyone to help me.

LVN programs are normally offered by either adult schools or vocational schools, not community colleges.

25 months ago

Jamila in Los Angeles, California said: I actually talked to an admissions representative for Glendale Career College & of course I asked all the questions i should ask before I decide to enroll in a program and drop how much money.
Well there passing rate for 2011 is 100% for the Nclex.
THat sounds like a pretty good place for me.

I just checked nursing board website and it says that their passing is 77%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jamila in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

raspberrybird in Glendale, California said: I just checked nursing board website and it says that their passing is 77%.

what website is this?
IF you look at the above comments they said their passing rate was 77% a couple of years ago. this was what they said for 2011. But if you could tell me the website, I would love to look at the other schools.

25 months ago

Jamila in Los Angeles, California said: what website is this?
IF you look at the above comments they said their passing rate was 77% a couple of years ago. this was what they said for 2011. But if you could tell me the website, I would love to look at the other schools.

www.bvnpt.ca.gov/education/vn_stats.shtml

25 months ago

jamila said: so i called glendale career college and spoke with their admissions representative...
The 77% was from last years class.
The last class that just finished which was last month was 100%.
I asked them about the 77% and they said they are in a process of updating it.

Thank you. Do you know how many people took the exam?

jamila

25 months ago

Well the were telling me their average class size is 25-30 students... So i would want to say around there. She did tell me but i forgot. Bit if you want to know the exact number i would call them:)
Sorry.

25 months ago

jamila said: Well the were telling me their average class size is 25-30 students... So i would want to say around there. She did tell me but i forgot. Bit if you want to know the exact number i would call them:)
Sorry.

No, that's OK, Thanks anyway. I still would want to go with the official board numbers when I choose the school. And for me, price also matters. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

futurenurse

24 months ago

Has anyone heard of Allied Medical health & Services in Glendale? I was doing a lil research but couldn't find any information online about the school. I was hoping to find some reviews but no luck! I'm wondering if this school is ligit. It's sounds perfect form me because I work full time and they have classes part time and I live 5 mins away from there. Also the tuition is pretyy affordable (cheaper than the trade schools). Please advise!!!

24 months ago

Never heard of them. The best way to check them out is to go on the board website, www.bvntp.ca.gov, they have a list of all approved schools.

futurenurse

24 months ago

I went onto that website and thats where I found them, so I know theyre bvntp certified. A printed out the list of schools and I was going down the list calling schools for more infor, pricing, time, accreditation, etc...I was just wondering if anyone here or knows anyone who had attended this school. Im afraid to commit myself to a program only for it to turn out bad...

futurenurse

24 months ago

There is still jobs out there for LVN's, They may not be hiring at hospitals but there is always a need for LVNs at your local Senior Nursing Homes. Do you think they're going to get rid of all LVN's and expect RN's to do ALL the work??? there is already a shortage of RN's who are stressed out about their jobs! Besides, getting your VN license will be faster and in my case, all I need are the sciences courses required for RN so soon after im done with VN school im jumping right back in to finish my sciences for RN prgram. My friend is an LVN and she works at a senior home. She's been there for about 5 yrs now and they just offered her a position with 33/hr pay. I think that's pretty good!

futurenurse

24 months ago

Anyways, I still believe there is hope for LVN's or RN's regardless of the job market today. Things will get better with time.

On that note, if there is anyone out there that has any information on Allied Medical Health & Services please post your comments about the school. I would love to hear the reviews about this school. Thanks!

24 months ago

There are several schools around Glendale area that have been there for a while, i.e. CES COLLEGE, GCC, NorthWest,... When you consider tuition, make sure they offer Pell Grants. Sometimes the tuition is lower but since a school does not offer grants, it turns out to cost more to you than other schools.

futurenurse

24 months ago

raspberrybird, I see you reside in Glendale. I live there too! are you an RN or tring to get into nursing as well??

futurenurse

24 months ago

This is message is for hoapres in San Francisco, CA - I would appreciate it if you sent your messages publicly and not just privatley to me. I would like everyone to see how ignorant you sound. Stop trying to rain on my parade. If I want to go to LVN school and receive a BETTER LIFE and CAREER then I'm entitled to do so regardless of your opinion of the economy!!! Like I said, I already have my generals and pre-reqs completed but just need my sciences that the RN programs are requiring me to have. So please, stop downgrading LVN's making them seem they're not worth having. You're pretty much telling all those other people out there who are going to school for Respiratory Therapy, Medical Assistants, Pharmacist, etc., are not worth it as well?!?!? What's important here is that we all move forward with getting an education for a better future!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

futurenurse

24 months ago

hoapres in San Francisco, California said: That is exactly what is happening. You can't use people that have employed for 5 years. The relevant criteria is for people just starting out. We have entire graduating classes from community college AA degree programs with RNs that can't find jobs and ARE doing the job of an LVN. An LVN from a for profit trade school stands no chance at all.

Thank you for your input!!!

futurenurse

24 months ago

Thank you for your input! I'll check back when Im done with LVN school making $$$ letting you know that life is good. And to everyone out there who is working towards becoming an LVN or RN - keep going and don't listen to anyone who talks nonsense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

futurenurse

24 months ago

raspberrybird in Glendale, California said: Check CES COLLEGE in Burbank, www.cescollege.com .
Tuition is much lower than GCC, instructors are good and the staff is very nice and helpful.

Did you attend this program?? I'm thinking of going here. I had a meeting with one of the counselors and she was pretty nice. I like the fact that its really close to home since I live in Glendale. Please let me know if you've heard any good/bad feedback about the school. Thanks!

beauty&thebeast in Glendale, California

24 months ago

futurenurse said: Did you attend this program?? I'm thinking of going here. I had a meeting with one of the counselors and she was pretty nice. I like the fact that its really close to home since I live in Glendale. Please let me know if you've heard any good/bad feedback about the school. Thanks!

I did not go but I know people who did. The staff is nice, the teachers are caring, and they go hospitals for clinicals, which is important. I know some programs only go to nursing homes.

Perry in Carmichael, California

23 months ago

blankee in Lincoln, California said: I'm enrolled in Kaplan college in Sacramento for 30k. I think it's one of the fastest and cheapest routes. I've looked into other schools for half the price, but they are not well recognized.

Hey, This is Perry from Sacramento. I am planning to enroll in the LVN program in Kaplan College. Could you please give some feedback on the program. How was your overall experience?

b. in Paramount, California

23 months ago

kelloggy in Murrieta, California said: Have any of you attended or or know anything about North-West College of Riverside Calif. Specificly their LVN program. Thank you, Kelly

I attend north-west college in riverside and the teachers and staff are amazing. I believe the tuition is $27,000 but they help you with financial aid and grants. The instructors have years of experience and are very helpful. I think the only thing I don't like about the program is that you have to make monthly payments towards your loan, but other than that, I can't complain!

Maribel in Northridge, California

23 months ago

futurenurse said: Did you attend this program?? I'm thinking of going here. I had a meeting with one of the counselors and she was pretty nice. I like the fact that its really close to home since I live in Glendale. Please let me know if you've heard any good/bad feedback about the school. Thanks!

I am thinking about attending this school for the reason that the tuition is lower than most schools. Do you know when the next class will start? This is an accredited LVN program right?

-thank you <3

23 months ago

Maribel in Northridge, California said: I am thinking about attending this school for the reason that the tuition is lower than most schools. Do you know when the next class will start? This is an accredited LVN program right?

-thank you <3

You should probably check with the school to make sure but if they are listed on BVNPT site, they are accredited.

23 months ago

I just called them, their next class is in September, 2 evenings for lecture and weekends for clinicals. Very convenient if you are planning to work while in school.

future lvn in Van Nuys, California

22 months ago

Hey Everyone,

Do employers care what school we attend for the LVN program (both private, for-profit)? Let's say School A is larger, well-known, and expensive VS. School B that is smaller, not established yet, and cheap.

Do employers care what school we attend for their hiring decision? Any input would be great b/c I have no idea!

future lvn in Van Nuys, California

22 months ago

Hey Everyone,

Do employers care what school we attend for the LVN program (both private, for-profit)? Let's say School A is larger, well-known, and expensive VS. School B that is smaller, not established yet, and cheap.

Do employers care what school we attend for their hiring decision? Any input would be great b/c I have no idea!

Tinker in Panorama City, California

22 months ago

I don't think they do, but it is my opinion. There is no "Ivy league" of LVN schools. A license is a license. What I think is important is quality of clinical experiences, so make sure you get a variety and not just nursing homes.

22 months ago

I don't think they do, but it is my opinion. There is no "Ivy league" of LVN schools. A license is a license. What I think is important is quality of clinical experiences, so make sure you get a variety and not just nursing homes. If you can share, what's the tuition at the schools you are looking at?

D in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

VANESSA in Artesia, California said: THATS SOUND GREAT! SO, YOU ARE JUST GOING TO PAY 20K FOR THE PROGRAM? IM WONDERING COZ AT AMERICAN CARREER COLLEGE IT IS 30K BUT I DONT HOW MUCH I WILL HAVE TO PAY AFTER i HAVE APPLIED FOR FINAN. AID...WELL, IM GONNA GO TO GLENDALE CARREER COLLEGE TO SEE HOW IT IS, BY THE WAY, DO YOU KNOW WHEN ARE THE NEXT CLASSES STARTING? and could you give me its web-site, coz i cant find it on google ..thank you very much! vane

If this is how you talk and sound like please dont even bother wasting your time in the nursing field... youre just another statistic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Just checked with the school in Burbank. They charge a about 24k but also have financial aid if you qualify so you don't have to make payments during the school unless you want to start paying off your loans early.

22 months ago

The problem with community college is that it takes yeeaaaaaaaaaaars to graduate. First - prerequisites, then waiting list, the the program itself. So I would do LVN first and then bridge to RN.

Diva22 in Roseville, California

21 months ago

blankee in Lincoln, California said: I'm enrolled in Kaplan college in Sacramento for 30k. I think it's one of the fastest and cheapest routes. I've looked into other schools for half the price, but they are not well recognized.

im from sac and having a hard time picking a program? did you find a job quickly after?did you like kaplan?

20 months ago

So, any updates on the schools? I've been looking at different schools, comparing tuition and stuff.

medexpert in Glendale, California

20 months ago

I am looking for a program that will let me work, so far there is one that sounds good in terms of the schedule - 2 evenings and weekends and takes 15 months. It is in Burbank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

lindsay in Arlington, Texas said: Casa Loma College is a great school. I attended their Ultrasound Program and it was hard, but the teachers were awesome and always there to help.
I had friends do the LVN course and they loved it!! I know there is full time and part time courses, so they will work with you to help you decide which is best.
Good Luck!!

Yeah, but they are waaaaay expensive

20 months ago

guest in San Jose, California said: Go to the PUBLIC community college and get an RN or forget nursing.

The nursing job market is glutted beyond belief with ENTIRE graduating classes of AA RN programs that can't find jobs.

An LVN at least in California is totally worthless.

I know many people who graduated from LVN schools and are making over 20 an hour. Many of the, got into BSN bridge programs without having to wait for years, and it's better than ADN.

20 months ago

medexpert in Glendale, California said: I am looking for a program that will let me work, so far there is one that sounds good in terms of the schedule - 2 evenings and weekends and takes 15 months. It is in Burbank.

What's the name of the school?

medexpert in Glendale, California

20 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: That was then.

This is now.

The question is what are the prospects of a NEW LVN getting a job.

My contention is the probability is VERY LOW.

This is now.

The question is what are the prospects of a NEW LVN getting a job.

My contention is the probability is VERY LOW.[/QP

People I know graduated 1-2 years ago, so not that long time ago. Job market is horrible for everyone but with training in healthcare, at least there is a chance. Probably better than for those getting their degrees at universities in history or sociology or something like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LaWanda in Corona, California

20 months ago

If there anyone going to do The ISU LVN To BSN??? I have The study guides on ebay.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.