What Schools Have The Best LVN Program In California??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 124 of 124)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

LaWanda in Corona, California

20 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Which is why ALL of the for profit nursing programs are no longer eligible for California financial aid. Get over $40K of student loan debt and an LVN with nontransferable units to a REAL school. RNs are unemployed and can be ordered up like McDonalds cheeseburgers.

I am currently an LVN in California. It is very hard for LVNs to find a job. Rns with a BSN are more employable in this horrible economy. I would advise against going to a private school for an LVN. If you are a LVN you go to a Online LVN to BSN program like Indiana State University. I love being a Nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yme in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Well, i agree, BSN is the best but if you go traditional route, it will take you yeeeeeeeaaaaars. So i am taking lvn, will be done in a year, and then do online lvn to BSN. I searched for nonprofits, found one in burbank so will start with them in september. And since it is only weekends and evenings, will work par time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Caligirl2 in Morgan Hill, California

20 months ago

Do whatever works is what I say

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: And the only thing that appears to be working is an AA RN degree along with going off to get a BSN at a state university.

That is how bad the nursing job market is today.

With Obama care getting ready to launch there will be a lot more nursing jobs. It seems as though this happens every few years. Nursing Jobs soar then they dive. It is coming back up again. Lets finish school so when it starts soaring we will be in high demand positions.

20 months ago

beauty&thebeast in Glendale, California said: The problem with community college is that it takes yeeaaaaaaaaaaars to graduate. First - prerequisites, then waiting list, the the program itself. So I would do LVN first and then bridge to RN.

If I had it do over again I would have just went straight to RN and not do the LVN at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

medexpert in Glendale, California

20 months ago

Well tell me any other major that i can take to get a good chance of getting a job. With today's job situation, it is really hard anyway but babyboomers are getting old and will need more nursing homes and who is going to take care of them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tinkerbell in Glendale, California

20 months ago

Well, you are right, you do need to stand out. the only problem i have with what you suggested is the time issue. It will take 2-3 years to complete the prerequisites, then you need to be on the waiting list and who knows how long it is going to take, then 2 years of AA and then BSN - so 10 years or so? LVN is 1.5 years, and BSN is 3 years.

20 months ago

Why 30K? You can find a program for about 25K. With financial aid, you get 10K grants, so you only have 15k in loans, which is not too bad considering money you would earn in the years you would spend waiting to start RN program.

20 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Then you wait.

You won't get a job as an LVN from a worthless for profit trade school to pay back the over $30K in student loans and won't be able to transfer to an RN program.

You get on a wait list and in the meantime take all the prerequisites. You might be looking at 4 or more years to become a nurse but those are the unfortunate facts of life.

Oh, and you cannot get on the waiting list until you have all the prerequisites.

20 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: Better check the prices again. The Cal Grants are GONE for almost if not ALL of the for profit trade schools. RNs are taking LVN jobs and you will be LUCKY to find even a PART TIME LVN job paying $12 an hour.

Also the credits earned in an LVN program will NOT transfer to an RN program.

I just talked with financial aid, they give PellGrant, not CalGrant, if you qualify it is about 10K. And I also have friends who went to the bridge programs, both RN and BSN, because you are not transferring credits, you are kinda transferring your license. it is lvn to bsn, not just a transfer. at least, they had no problem.

20 months ago

Are you an RN? How long have you been working?

smitten in Glendale, California

20 months ago

Hi, I started looking for a school to start in fall. Any suggestions - Glendale/Burbank/ North Hollywood area.

20 months ago

I went to community college, I do not think this is something I want to do, I cannot spend 6 years to get my license, i need to start working soon. So I am looking for an LVN school.

20 months ago

I know that the jobs are not as plentiful as they used to be. At the same time I know people who graduated this year or last year and found jobs that pay more than $12/hour. I think one stands a better chance of finding a job with an LVN license that with many bachelors. Are you a nurse yourself?

Carson in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Forget LVN go Surgical Tech or something. Way more options for jobs in OR Setting. LVN youre just limited to that. Surgical Tech opens the door to many other jobs. Im a ST did it for 3 years at around 25$ a hour Jumped ship to Transplant Coordinator paying 38$. We do not hire LVNs at my hospital. Like its been pointed out we are hiring RNs for LVNs positions.

20 months ago

I went to CES College in Burbank, talked to admissions. Everybody seemed nice, tuition is low - it is under 25K plush financial aid, so turns out to be much cheaper. They encouraged me to talk to current students and students loved the program. I'll check out a couple of other schools, but so far this one looks good.

Carson in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Some people will learn the hard way. I made my wife get outta LVN school at CES. Because all my contacts in Hospitals around Los Angeles had 0 openings for LVNs. She is now going to school to get her BSN instead. Like many people here have said look around and be sure cause once youre in debt and without a job you are done.

From my class 5 people got jobs in the field. Making no much more than 15$ In todays standards thats nothing. 2100 LVNs graduated last year just from JOBCORPS which is a free service. Add all the american career colleges and other schools. Not looking good a few people you know isnt looking at overall picture.

20 months ago

Did she go to that school, did she have any complaints? Because I hear only positive comments about the program - caring staff, caring and knowledgeable instructors, challenging program without unnecessary stress that sometimes nursing schools create just to scare people. And I know I would not be working in a hospital - i am planning for nursing home and home health, and then go for RN.

BlueShadowNurse in bay area, California

18 months ago

I’m currently a nurse in the bay area and can offer some advice.

I highly advise ALL new and potential students to KNOW what you are getting into. There are countless number of places that offer training but I believe you have to search for a training center that you think will give you the best bang for your buck. Not only that but make sure they are credible, accredited and that you do the grunt work. Visit the campus, talk with advisors, ask questions, be very clear where you want your career path to end up. Sitting in on a live session would be ideal as you get to see the instructors/students in action. This will also give you an opening to talk with the instructors and even students to discover what they think, although if they like the class you will be able to see their enthusiasm. Even though that might be enough for some, I also suggest perusing past grads to hear their view. Once your inquiries are completed, which of course may take some time, if you don’t like what you see or hear move to the next school. But I can’t say it enough; know what you are getting into before hand! My friend went to a school that she now can’t even transfer into the next program at another school because she didn’t do her homework! Now she has to take the classes over, a HUGE waist of money and time. DON’T let what happened to my friend happen to you

To BE CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

18 months ago

As for recommending an LVN program; I reviewed many programs before calculating my choice and strongly believe Unitek College has the best LVN program around. They have the student’s best interest in mind and the instructors are more than just professional, they are highly qualified and some of the finest I have trained with. Which is one of the reasons why I chose to go back to further my qualifications through the years. With all the training I have taken with them and now back again taking the online rn to bsn, the alumni tuition savings also made continuing my education convenient and an expense that I could afford and truly believe I was entitled to. I invested in my education with them so they invest in me. At least that’s how I prefer to look at it!

I’m not seeing a slow down in terms of jobs and so sorry for those of you who are. I have worked at the same place for a few years so maybe I’m out of touch since I’m not actually looking for a job. I know it must be tough but keep pushing forward and if I hear of a job I will let all of you know.

LaWanda in Corona, California said: I am currently an LVN in California. It is very hard for LVNs to find a job. Rns with a BSN are more employable in this horrible economy. I would advise against going to a private school for an LVN. If you are a LVN you go to a Online LVN to BSN program like Indiana State University. I love being a Nurse.

I honestly don’t think the fact that an institution is either Private or Public will determine your fate. Come on there are people that went to private and public universities with great jobs so I doubt you can blame it on that factor. And why do you say avoid private? You don’t state your case and it would only be beneficial for other potential students to know your reasoning behind why you say what you say.

18 months ago

Sorry for the long post, I’m a nurse and hate seeing distressed potential nurses who need clear cut answers so had to give my advice. To anyone who reads this-pay attention and DON’T let what happened to my friend happen to you.

Urhyhnis in Northridge, California

8 months ago

smitten in Glendale, California said: Did she go to that school, did she have any complaints? Because I hear only positive comments about the program - caring staff, caring and knowledgeable instructors, challenging program without unnecessary stress that sometimes nursing schools create just to scare people. And I know I would not be working in a hospital - i am planning for nursing home and home health , and then go for RN.

Hi. I recently visited this school also and wanted to know if you've decided to attend or go elsewhere. If you are attending how do you like the school, did it turn out to be what you expected, does the instructors seem to be knowledgable and the clinical sites you visited how are they? Basically what is your overall experience with the school. If you've decided to go elsewhere, what school did you decide on? I too am planning to attend CES however, I'm still looking elsewhere including Concorde North Hollywood. Please and Thank you!! Good Luck in your career!

The designing LVN in Valencia, California

7 months ago

I am currently seeking an LVN program as I need to make a drastic career change that will pay some bills. I need to work soon and cannot complete the GEs at College of the Canyons. Even then admittance into their RN nursing program is not guaranteed.

Consequentely,I'm looking at Concorde, North Hollywood, Charter, Canyon Country and American Career College in Los Angeles for an LVN program. They want you to sign up for all the funding up front or pay cash. It is a huge financial commitment for a single person in this economy.

ACC by far has the newest, most pleasant campus, clean study labs, safe underground, parking etc. They claim to have a 96% placement rate after taking the State Boards. Does anybody out there have recent experience attending American Career College, LA, Charter College,Canyon Country, or Concorde College,North Hollywood? The Concorde Campus is not in the best of neighborhoods and the facilities appear delapadated. On the other hand Charter is the most expensive of of closest proximity to Valencia, but I'm not sure about their track record in turning out successfull nursing careers.

Any input on these schools would be appreciated as I need to make a decision that I will not regret. Thanks in advance, the designing LVN

justme in Burbank, California

6 months ago

yme in Los Angeles, California said: Well, i agree, BSN is the best but if you go traditional route, it will take you yeeeeeeeaaaaars. So i am taking lvn, will be done in a year, and then do online lvn to BSN. I searched for nonprofits, found one in burbank so will start with them in september. And since it is only weekends and evenings, will work par time.

hi yme, which school in Burbank did you find? I'd like to inquire since I reside in Burbank. Thank you :)

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.