Should I get LVN (1 yr) at trade school or try to get into very competitive (2 yr) RN school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

LILIAN VILLASANO in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

LOOKING FOR LVN PROGRAM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Melony in Palmdale, California

72 months ago

Megan in OC in Westminster, California said: I would definatly go straight for the RN, I did the expensive LVN and wish I didnt know I have to start over with pre reqs it is frusterating

I think it is up to you all. I am trying to get into an LVN at a community college. I have a BA in Biology so I will be put at the head of the line. If you want to go RN, I would try for a program where they make you an LVN after one year so it will be worth your while. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

PATTY in Dallas, Texas

72 months ago

Do not go to a trade school... nope nope nope.. i did it and its a total tip off... i am currently going to a community college for the lvn program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Iwant2behappy in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Melony in Palmdale, California said: I think it is up to you all. I am trying to get into an LVN at a community college. I have a BA in Biology so I will be put at the head of the line. If you want to go RN, I would try for a program where they make you an LVN after one year so it will be worth your while. Good luck!

Melony, I have a BS in biology also. Is it true that they will put you ahead of the line? Which college are you trying to get into?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tanya in Inglewood, California

72 months ago

Megan in OC in Westminster, California said: I would definatly go straight for the RN, I did the expensive LVN and wish I didnt know I have to start over with pre reqs it is frusterating

why did u have take the pre reqs again once u r a lvn u dont have to take them they have brige program it will take u 1yr more of school to get your rn.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tanya in Inglewood, California

72 months ago

too everyone every that is thinking about taking the lvn or the rn classes please make sure u know what u r getting in to i have been a cna over 5yrs i am getting ready to start the lvn program in feb. being a cna for 5 yrs i have learned that a charge nurses that has no experiance in health care treat cnas wrong and want to over work them more because they think our job is easy and its not we are over worked and under paid but the charge nurse that has been a cna before knows how it is and they will get in there and help u when it is needed all i am saying is dont do your cnas wrong we are the back bone to the lvn and rns with out us u would have double work and the smelliest work espically in a nursing hm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

foxybrown in West Hills, California

72 months ago

Iwant2behappy in Los Angeles, California said: Melony, I have a BS in biology also. Is it true that they will put you ahead of the line? Which college are you trying to get into?

You always get fast tracked in an RN program when you already have a degree. You are in the Los Angeles Area, I would look into Mount St. Mary College. They have an accelerated BSN program on their website that explains it all. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mona in Harbor City, California

71 months ago

tanya in Inglewood, California said: too everyone every that is thinking about taking the lvn or the rn classes please make sure u know what u r getting in to i have been a cna over 5yrs i am getting ready to start the lvn program in feb. being a cna for 5 yrs i have learned that a charge nurses that has no experiance in health care treat cnas wrong and want to over work them more because they think our job is easy and its not we are over worked and under paid but the charge nurse that has been a cna before knows how it is and they will get in there and help u when it is needed all i am saying is dont do your cnas wrong we are the back bone to the lvn and rns with out us u would have double work and the smelliest work espically in a nursing hm

Exactly. I have been a CNA for only one year, my mother 12, and my sister one. And we can alll agree that LVNs tend to be-little CNAs as if we dont do anything. Not all LVNs but majority I would say oevr work CNAs and have us even doing there job part of the time. Being a CNA first is better. You understand the people working under you better. Us CNAs work very hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CAROLL in Windsor Mill, Maryland

71 months ago

Jamie in Dallas, Texas said: I was wanting to be a nurse. However, I don't want to waste my time or my money going to a trade school if it's not going to pay off. I have done that before for dental assisting and will be paying back that loan for years to come AND couldn't even get a job! These trade schools (I went to Concorde) are cranking out students as fast as they can and there aren't enough jobs in the area! I was intersted in the the LVN program but was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go for the 2yr RN at TCC. The wait to get in is huge and competitive and if I don't get in, I will have to wait another year to apply again. Thoughts, feelings, experiences are all welcomed.

Thanks!

I understand the frustration of trade schools, I am working as a LPN in Maryalnd for the last 15 years and I would recommend for you to check with the board of education for your state and first find out if the school is accredited. Then write your local Board of Nursing for the forecast of LPN jobs in your area. Finally, i WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU APPLY AND START THE RN TRAINING SOONEST. WISHING YOU THE BEST CAROL IN MARYLAND

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Leeds, Massachusetts

70 months ago

I can not even find LPN programs out here in Chicopee, MA. I have zero experience, nothing. I thought it might be best to start off with LPN then go on to RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Salinas, California

70 months ago

I'm deciding between a 10 month trade school LVN program in Calif. or back east an 15 month RN program at a trade school. What do you think? Not sure if I can work in Calif. if my RN license if for the east coast. Any thoughts on this? The cost is the same, about $30,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mikey in Perris, California

68 months ago

Lori in Salinas, California said: I'm deciding between a 10 month trade school LVN program in Calif. or back east an 15 month RN program at a trade school. What do you think? Not sure if I can work in Calif. if my RN license if for the east coast. Any thoughts on this? The cost is the same, about $30,000.

Did you choose? What's the name of the schools. Hard to answer without that info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Cary, North Carolina

68 months ago

Medical Career Institute is the one back east and Westmed or Unitek in Calif. hmmm....did call calif. board of nursing and can get a temporary license if I decide to work in Calif. with a Va. rn license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cecilia in Ontario, California

67 months ago

jelordelvn in Cathedral City, California said: hmmm... i went into a tech school for lvn cost was 20000. after i graduated, i worked for 6 months, made back more than my 20k and also gained valuable experience. plus, more doors/options opened up for me. a year and a half after my lvn grad, im finished with my prereqs/gened for lvn-rn, or lvn-bsn, so im contemplating of which options i should do. 9 months for an asn, or 2 years for a bsn. the choice is really up to you. try getting into a rn program that lets you get your lvn after the first year.

What school did you go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Valley Village, California

67 months ago

I think everyone should at least attempt the RN program first and using the LVN-RN Ladder program as one of their last resorts. The more you apply, the higher your chances get. I don't have the best grades, but I got into all the Nursing Programs I applied to. (it was a RN program btw). Also, many of my friends that decided to attend a Fly-by school, mainly concorde and American Career (in southern cali) are now LVNs and are just stuck working. They thought it would be faster and easier, but now, they are stuck as LVNs and none of them are even planning to go back to school. They settled with the pay between $16-22, depends where you work. while RN go from $35-48. Think about it, it doesn't hurt to try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nursenicoles in League City, Texas

67 months ago

Go to the lvn it is easier to get in and most schools offer you the transition right away. You will graduate in the same amount of time as it takes just to get into an rn program and it will be much easier to comprehend once you are there. That is what i am doing and i would highly recommend it. I just graduated lvn school got my license, started working, and i am already taking rn classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

msteemoney@gmail.com in Fresno, California

67 months ago

thks for ur reply...i did attempt to go to a lvn school.....but for me i did like it....the teacher i had sucked....and when they told me if i wanted to transfer out of state that my credits wouldnt be recognize cuz i didnt do the require prerequiste that a community college requires....aslo the school was very expensive...and then i wanted to do the lvn/bridge program and that was 50,000 plus the lvn school 26,000 and the lvn program would be the same amount of time....so i figure for me just go for the goal...rn and be done with it ,,,,with out any outstanding loans

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

msteemoney@gmail.com in Fresno, California

67 months ago

y did u have to start over......for pre reqs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joy in Long Beach, California

67 months ago

I am an LVN. all my friends are now trying to get their RN after just graduating a yr. ago. You will wish u went for your RN. about!10/hr difference in pay. you will b e happy you did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alek in Richardson, Texas

67 months ago

Am planning to do LVN come may,2009 at a private college in Tx, becouse they offer everning and weekend classes,i wish i could go to community college and do RN for 2 years,but i can't i have a baby to take care of during the day while community college offers day classes only,the preqs and the waiting will take me like 3-4 years before i graduate.I hope i'll be able to do LVN-RN brige with no difficulties.Anybody with some suggestion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

looking for Peace in Bronx, New York

67 months ago

no alex i am taking preqs now it is not going to take 3-4 years. I have 4 kids. U can take the preq on line only about 5 classes but wait do u have a degree Ba I should have ask that first.

67 months ago

Thanks,i do not have BA,all community colleges around are taking admission now for the fall classes.Do you think i csn make it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

yes u can. Do not give up on a career. u can get a A.S. as a RN as well I hear that the pay is not that much of a difference. I have my BS degree I am just praying to get in a fast track program by next year may. Most of the programs are in the day time but it is for a year the most I seen was for 15 months. I hope that al works out for the both of us because I dont have a plan B(smile)

67 months ago

I don't have plan B either.Can't wait till next year,i have to move on,thats why i have to do LVN first hoping that i will be able to do preqs for RN once i start working as lvn.I believe all will work for us.

66 months ago

Of course people want to be nurses it is a secure job!!! which is hard to fine doing a recession. Besides there has been a shortage of nurses for years. That is one career that you can take to any state and be able to live. I do agree with you about the nasty nurses but that goes for any career. I have meet the worse teachers, sale person etc...I am going to be a RN taking my preq now. I want to be a RN for all the reasons I listed above and most importantly that was not mention is that I love people and want to be a service to them. Making a difference. Being a nurse is not an easy job. Most are over worked. They do a lot of hours so for those who are looking into being a nurse please think about it much sure it is not a waste of time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

krobertson in Eastland, Texas

63 months ago

Jamie in Dallas, Texas said: I was wanting to be a nurse. However, I don't want to waste my time or my money going to a trade school if it's not going to pay off. I have done that before for dental assisting and will be paying back that loan for years to come AND couldn't even get a job! These trade schools (I went to Concorde) are cranking out students as fast as they can and there aren't enough jobs in the area! I was intersted in the the LVN program but was wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go for the 2yr RN at TCC. The wait to get in is huge and competitive and if I don't get in, I will have to wait another year to apply again. Thoughts, feelings, experiences are all welcomed.

Thanks!

I went throught the LVN program and recieved my liscense in 2006. It is definately not a waste of time, and it seems that more doors are opened to you for continuing your education in the RN programs. However, if I had it to do over again I would go straight through to get my RN. There are far more jobs available to you if you have your RN, even the associates of nursing. Not to mention the pay is substantially higher. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

saraf3m in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

www.bvnpt.ca.gov/education/schools/vn_schools.shtml

www.rn.ca.gov/schools/rnprograms.shtml

You should be able to find similar pages for other states but these are the schools for CA. Be sure your programs are accredited before putting out ANY money!

Hope this helps!

MINNIE in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

I am looking into going into a nursing program. I DO NOT have an AA so its makes it difficult to find a fast-paced Nursing program. It seems like you have to complete a million prereq's before you can even ENTER the program. Any suggestions??? I need to decide within the next few days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Perris, California

61 months ago

MINNIE in Los Angeles, California said: I am looking into going into a nursing program. I DO NOT have an AA so its makes it difficult to find a fast-paced Nursing program. It seems like you have to complete a million prereq's before you can even ENTER the program. Any suggestions??? I need to decide within the next few days.

I believe U should shop around for the different colleges, most only require that u have science courses done Chem to take Micro, Anat 101 & 102, plus a phyc class U could nock out 3 of these in 1 semester. It's my opinion to go straight for the RN but when U apply @ school, apply to both RN & LVN it's an accepted practice in most schools. Also the more credits U have the farther U get on the waiting list, so if U dont have to many credits U R already ahead of the game.
Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mikethefish in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

Thanks!

do not go as a nurse. go as a radio tech or something. lvn right now are not getting a job. and the job itself is not even inspiring or nobel anymore. save yourself. and please this time, do not go to concord. go to a community college. you know they will just rip you off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

maria in Perris, California

60 months ago

It doesn't matter which shool you choose. If you r closer to your family and recieve moral support from them, I suggest you stay close to them wherever that may be otherwise the location you choose to sudy at does not make a difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

thefallingufo@yahoo.com in Covina, California

59 months ago

Mona in Harbor City, California said: Exactly. I have been a CNA for only one year, my mother 12, and my sister one. And we can alll agree that LVNs tend to be-little CNAs as if we dont do anything. Not all LVNs but majority I would say oevr work CNAs and have us even doing there job part of the time. Being a CNA first is better. You understand the people working under you better. Us CNAs work very hard.[/QUO
\

many cna tend to be lazy . certain people may requiring turning to prevent ulcers and they cant even do such a simple thing due to laziness. at night they love to go to sleep while on the job and when awake they think they know more than an lvn and not thinking of the rationale why lvns do what they do or say what they say. to be honest with you cnas are not the brightest people in the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Rockafella in Riverside, California

59 months ago

nursenicoles in League City, Texas said: Go to the lvn it is easier to get in and most schools offer you the transition right away. You will graduate in the same amount of time as it takes just to get into an rn program and it will be much easier to comprehend once you are there. That is what i am doing and i would highly recommend it. I just graduated lvn school got my license, started working, and i am already taking rn classes.

Are you going to RN class at night? If so where do you attend? I'm looking for RN evening classes myself.

msteemoney@gmail.com

59 months ago

hello....u know what im attending a jr college here in my area..the name of my school is elcamno college and i love it...matter of fact some of my classes my class mates or lvn...for me the fast track is a waste of my time and money...i work fulltime and im in school fulltime...my plate is full....but im soooo happy because after this semester and in 2010 i only have to take four more classes and i can apply for the rn program...and most important to me is when im done i will have a a.s.n. degree so im cool.....but u know u have to do whats best for u....i wish u all the luck and stick with it..

MINNIE in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I am currently going to Harbor College. But I need about 9 more classes to get into the RN program there. I have just heard that it is very limited. And I work full time so now sure if that can work for me. I just found out about a program throught work though that they will send me to school during my working hours and I can complete it that way.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T & T in Upland, California

59 months ago

Paul in Valley Village, California said: I think everyone should at least attempt the RN program first and using the LVN-RN Ladder program as one of their last resorts. The more you apply, the higher your chances get. I don't have the best grades, but I got into all the Nursing Programs I applied to. (it was a RN program btw). Also, many of my friends that decided to attend a Fly-by school, mainly concorde and American Career (in southern cali) are now LVNs and are just stuck working. They thought it would be faster and easier, but now, they are stuck as LVNs and none of them are even planning to go back to school. They settled with the pay between $16-22, depends where you work. while RN go from $35-48. Think about it, it doesn't hurt to try.

which school you going too and how is it?? cause Im planning to attend concord for LVN

59 months ago

jelordelvn in Cathedral City, California said: hmmm... i went into a tech school for lvn cost was 20000. after i graduated, i worked for 6 months, made back more than my 20k and also gained valuable experience. plus, more doors/options opened up for me. a year and a half after my lvn grad, im finished with my prereqs/gened for lvn-rn, or lvn-bsn, so im contemplating of which options i should do. 9 months for an asn, or 2 years for a bsn. the choice is really up to you. try getting into a rn program that lets you get your lvn after the first year.

hi jelordelvn can you tell me which school that you attended the LVN program? thx because im trying to find a school right now...

59 months ago

hi jelordelvn can you tell me which school that you attended the LVN program? thx because im trying to find a school right now...is that a private school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pcastro in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

T & T in Upland, California said: which school you going too and how is it?? cause Im planning to attend concord for LVN

Hi,

I'm attending the nursing program in Valley College and its a full paid scholarship in accordance with Valley Presbyterian Hospital (on vanowen). If you really want to do the LVN program or currently have no choice at the moment, check out North Valley Occupational Center's LVN program. My classmate in my nursing school graduate from there as an LVN and now she's in the Valley College RN program and she told me that it costs her about 2-2500K/semester, which adds to up to about 5-7K for the whole program, while Concorde/Career Colleges are charging close to 30-more?K for their programs.
I honestly believe that the RN program at Valley is fair, its easy, yet hard at the time, just depending on how much you study you know? I really still suggests you just attend an RN program and I understand that each semester that passes by, the pool of applicants just grow and grow, but at least try!
Hope that helped you in any sort of way, feel free to ask any other questions and I'll try to answer as best that I can (I have midterms tomorrow! >:o, i should be studying!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Oakland, California

55 months ago

meant2nurse in Morgan Hill, California said: Omg!!!!!!! i hate this! 10 years ago we did not have this problem.......... 2 many ppl want to be nurses bcuz of the money and title....every cute lil girl wants 2 be a nurse 2! and this has made it unbelievably hard 4 ppl that have the compassion, heart, and desire 2 become nurses! 2 many times i have seen mean nurses that6 hate their job! that treat their patients bad! please anyone thinking about becoming a nurse godo cna work 4 a year or volenteer in a hospital.......it will save u from the reality after you wasted 4 yrs getting your rn! and seriously the whole school system is tottally screwed. yesterday i callled every jc within 200 miles and all lvn programs are jammed up 4 2 years....on top of it all jc pre reqs vary and by the time you wait u may have to take pre reqs again because they 7have changed requirments! thats why after 3 jcs and 2 yrs of college i am bittingthe bullet and living in debt to go to a 12mnth lvn program.....at least with a lvn cert you can go to any college and apply for a 1yr more rn! who cares if you may break in between for pre reqs, after u have ur lvn most pre reqs for rn, is only 2 classes like microbiology......just do it. but only do it if your heart is fully in it.

Hi..I am from the Bay area (San Jose) my plan is the same. I couldn't get into the RN program so rather then waiting around for another year I am choosing the LVN 12month program then bridging to the Rn program. My question is what school did you choose for your LVN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

D TWYMAN in Woodland Hills, California

55 months ago

LILIAN VILLASANO in Los Angeles, California said: LOOKING FOR LVN PROGRAM

HELLO IF YOUR UNDER THE AGE OF 24YRS , TRY THE JOB CORP LVN PROGRAM IT'S FREEEEEEEEEEEE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

I'll be turning 26 this year...Thanks for the tip though!

Lizzy in Lynwood, California

53 months ago

I been a CNA for 6 year and well am taking Classes for my RN but because books are getting very expensive and plus I don't qualify for Finanicial Aid any more because to them I make too much money. So I decised to stop and go for my LVN. I know that when I finish I can have a better paying job and be able to pay for classes and books for my RN.

candice in League City, Texas

53 months ago

nursenicoles in League City, Texas said: Go to the lvn it is easier to get in and most schools offer you the transition right away. You will graduate in the same amount of time as it takes just to get into an rn program and it will be much easier to comprehend once you are there. That is what i am doing and i would highly recommend it. I just graduated lvn school got my license, started working, and i am already taking rn classes.

I also live in league city, tx and am wanting to get into an LVN school, can you suggest any good ones around here?
Thanks,
Candice

kathy chou in Northridge, California

49 months ago

Can I ask which trade school did you go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kathy chou in Northridge, California

49 months ago

D TWYMAN in Woodland Hills, California said: HELLO IF YOUR UNDER THE AGE OF 24YRS , TRY THE JOB CORP LVN PROGRAM IT'S FREEEEEEEEEEEE

Thank you for sharing such great information! What is Job Corp and where is it located?

ro ro in Compton, California

48 months ago

Has any one went to career college of america....in L.A..I want to know if they have a good program.I want to take LVN program there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JANNINE in Reseda, California

45 months ago

Lena J in El Cerrito, California said: I was reading some post from this site, and I read one that mention something about an RN trade school??? I'm in the bay area looking for an lvn program, I would love to do the RN program but i don't want to go to city college, does anyone know of a trade school that offers an RN program or an LVN program???

thanks

TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE 18-24 YEARS OF AGE AND WANTING TO GET IN THE LVN PROGRAM CAN APPLY IN LOS ANGELES JOB CORPS. JOB CORPS WILL PAY FOR THE SCHOOL. ABSOLUTELY FREE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yourdesertneighbor in Palm Desert, California

41 months ago

Mona in Harbor City, California said: Exactly. I have been a CNA for only one year, my mother 12, and my sister one. And we can alll agree that LVNs tend to be-little CNAs as if we dont do anything. Not all LVNs but majority I would say oevr work CNAs and have us even doing there job part of the time. Being a CNA first is better. You understand the people working under you better. Us CNAs work very hard.

"their job", "We CNAs" sorry if you feel "be-littled" but nurses need to have perfect spelling and grammar to do the paperwork. If you are in a long-term care facility, the LVNs aren't deciding how hard you work, it's the administrators based on the census and acuity of the patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bcmalik33@yahoo.com in Beltsville, Maryland

41 months ago

As predicted in 1965 by the NLNC , entry level nursing jobs would be held by RN BSN , that said , it is strongly advised to pursue the competitive RN program.Also , many facilities rotate buisness hiring models , some places will not hire any RN's ,but , will accept and employ more LPN 's , and vice versa .

Furthermore , you should first know that for function purposes, LPN's and RN's function the same depending on the state's scope of practice. It is not necessary to work as a CNA first , it does'nt mean anything for all purpose and intent. Your role as a nurse is more defining.

Goodluck!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.