Adult NP- New Graduate Job Search

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 186)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Maddie in Smithfield, Rhode Island

57 months ago

Thank you so much for your input. I so appreciate you reaching out and taking the time to share your knowledge and valuable experiences. I will certainly look into free clinics to volunteer at locally. AND I will do my best to not lose hope! Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

JFar1 in Easton, Connecticut

57 months ago

Excellent advice! I never thought of volunteering to gain experience. I will be graduating from an FNP program tomorrow and just began seriously looking for a job in Connecticut. I have >15 years of RN experience but was told that RN experience is not very helpful. I would welcome any advice or suggestions:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

emihdqr19@sbcglobal.net in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

As a recruiter in the field for over 20+ years, yes, the answer is that many clients will hire a new grad if you have the apptitude and the attitude.
I receive daily openings from all over the country. Many are for new grads that the groups/physicians are willing to train if they know you will stay with the practice (not just come for the training and leave). Be positive, be willing to go the extra mile.
And for all new grads, not all great jobs are in major cities. WE have clients nationwide. Some of the best settings are smaller rural clients that really have a need for your care.
Presently, I am searching for a new grad, yes, a new FNP for a great doc in Wisconsin. He would like a new grad that he can train in the way he likes to do things. His present NP has been with him for years, he trained her but her husband has a job transfer. In asking him his thoughts, he said "find a new grad, I'll be happy to train!" So keep looking, the right job will come along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Red Bay, Alabama

56 months ago

Maddie in Smithfield, Rhode Island said: Hello fellow peers! I graduated over one year ago from a FNP program and became certified last summer. I have been looking for employment as a FNP full time for well over 6 months and have not gotten one final job offer. I have 10 years of experience in acute care settings as a RN (ICU, ED, etc). The majority of companies and practices that I apply to require prior NP experience and do not equate prior RN experience with any value. It is also discouraging because many times I have been told that I am a "top candidate" for the position and invited to 2nd and 3rd interviews, yet to be told in the end (after 1 to 2 months of ongoing unknown and no commitments)that they chose someone more qualified. Another frustrating trend that I have encountered is going for interviews (we all know how much time and effort it takes to research a potential place of employment and the stress involved with interviews) and never hearing back. One interview I had was literally 3 hours long, very academic and formal. I sent my thank you letter immediately after, and never heard back. I find this very disappointing and unprofessional. I am finding that all of this rejection of not getting hired as an NP is negatively effecting me. I am losing my hope and confidence. Never would I have thought this would be my destiny after NP school. I am concerned for my future professionally.

Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time finding work. There are NP jobs in the South if relocating is an option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Margie in Lamar, Colorado

56 months ago

Margie Sessions in Tucson, Arizona said: Try posting "New graduate pensacola, FL" in the job boards. Good luck to you, I am in the same fix and I would love to relocate to Denver but no luck as a new grad. Maybe after a year or twwo in a less preferable job I will be able to relocate to Denver.

After many interviews-2 offers in distant cities-one with a cardiologist andother with family practice- I landed a job as a new grad FNP in a clinic in a rural Colorado area for the underserved. It is 3 hours from Denver-and a great start. As I was leaving Tucson to relocate I was called for another underserved clinic job in Tucson but chose not to interview and to go through with the move to Colorado. Many of my classmates with no experience had to relocate or go to the new major city Phoenix and 1 1/2 hour away.
And loan payoff programs are motivators.
But I have found a great place to work and gain experience and great poeple to work for. They say doors open for you if the path is right, doors close for a reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

loveofwings@gmail.com in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

Hi,
Good luck on your new job. I am a recruiter and hear every day how clients don't want to hire the new grads, however....I have clients across the US and if the candidate has solid nursing experience, many of our clients have taken a chance on some of the best NPs out there. Any new grad that has the door slammed on you, just remember, when one door closes, another opens. A few years of experience will do a lot for your career. Remember too that as a new grad, salaries may be lower than what you have heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Veronica ANP in metro Detroit, MI

56 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am also having a difficult time finding ANP jobs in the metro Detroit area. I have gone on 3 interviews since graduating in Aug 2009. I have literally applied for every job posted @ every area hospital and I'm not sure what to do next! I agree with previous post and experience.

I will start volunteering in August. Relocation is not an option @ this time. Any suggestions?? Ideally I would love to be in private practice but I'm willing to do inpatient work to gain experience :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

emihdqr19@sbcglobal.net in Cleveland, Ohio

56 months ago

Hi Veronica,
I am a national recruiter. I too have found it to be more difficult to fine new NPs positions. However...with that being said. Even if it is a part time job, try that. Many facilities aren't offering full time positions but certainly have part time.
Also, I know you can't relocate. I hear this all the time. The Metro cities always have an abundance of new nurses as everyone would like to be in the Metro area. If you are willing to drive just 45 mninutes, maybe an hour away it could open doors. You are a new grad...what is your previous nursing experience? I would look for positions based on your certification where you could utilize some of your past experience to make you more attractive to a potential employer. Clients hire attitude but screen for apptitude. Remember. Show you are willing to do call or maybe make rounds, work Saturdays. You have to be flexible.
Never ever talk money with the client unless they bring it up.
Check with the nurses association in MI for their recent salary surveys or talk to other NPs in the same type of setting. Don't go for high dollars as I have had candidates knock themselves right out of positions because they wanted a few thousand more.
If a client asks you your salary expectations and you don't know what the job is paying, ask them what the range is.
If you want the job, ASK FOR IT at the end of the interview. Tell the client thank you for his/her time and tell them that the job is exactly what you are seeking and ask to be considered.
A thankyou note is always nice too for their time.
Good Luck, lyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Veronica in metro detroit in Oak Park, Michigan

56 months ago

Thanks Lyn for the reply...

I have done all thee above that you have mentioned...I even started applying for physician assistant positions: and Im willing to work full or part-time anything within a 50mile radius any day of the week.- its really difficult out here :/

I did make the mistake of asking how much the position paid at the end of the interview~
but everytime a new NP position is posted I am applying everyday (even though new positions pop up only every 2 weeks or so)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Red Bay, Alabama

56 months ago

emihdqr19@sbcglobal.net in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hi Veronica,
I am a national recruiter. I too have found it to be more difficult to fine new NPs positions. However...with that being said. Even if it is a part time job, try that. Many facilities aren't offering full time positions but certainly have part time.
Also, I know you can't relocate. I hear this all the time. The Metro cities always have an abundance of new nurses as everyone would like to be in the Metro area. If you are willing to drive just 45 mninutes, maybe an hour away it could open doors. You are a new grad...what is your previous nursing experience? I would look for positions based on your certification where you could utilize some of your past experience to make you more attractive to a potential employer. Clients hire attitude but screen for apptitude. Remember. Show you are willing to do call or maybe make rounds, work Saturdays. You have to be flexible.
Never ever talk money with the client unless they bring it up.
Check with the nurses association in MI for their recent salary surveys or talk to other NPs in the same type of setting. Don't go for high dollars as I have had candidates knock themselves right out of positions because they wanted a few thousand more.
If a client asks you your salary expectations and you don't know what the job is paying, ask them what the range is.
If you want the job, ASK FOR IT at the end of the interview. Tell the client thank you for his/her time and tell them that the job is exactly what you are seeking and ask to be considered.
A thankyou note is always nice too for their time.
Good Luck, lyn

Never ever talk money with the client unless they bring it up? So are you suppose to accept a position without knowing what it pays?

Lynn in Lawrenceville, Georgia

56 months ago

Hello everyone,I agree that you do not ask about money when interviewing but I have had to reject two job offers where I would be paid at least $10,000 less than I made as a critical care nurse.I could not manage with such pay.I was barely making ends meet before with my nurse salary.
I must have gone to 100 interviews before I got what I had been looking for.I think a lot of prayer,patience,and perseverance is necessary.

Kathleen in Roslindale, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Wow..sorry to hear all your tough experience...I have just gotten my FNP and just beginning to look at jobs...so all your advice is well taken...and yes Helen Fitzgerald's prep class is great...filled with a chock of information...for classes around the country....check her website..www.rhea.com or email her directly at review@rhea.com...and online store...www.rhea.biz.
My question is have you found in your experience that clients prefer one certification over another...it seems that some schools promote ANCC while others promote AANP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cee in Durham, North Carolina

55 months ago

I live in Durham, North Carolina, but will be relocating to Maryland at any time. I have been looking for a job for three months. I want a position in Maryland, DC area, Northern Virginia, or Baltimore area. Yes I am willing to travel 50miles. Do anyone know of any places hiring Adult NP-C? Please Help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

It is tough out there but don't give up you will find your job...I finally found a position (part-time) in subacute care of adults and elders. My overseeing MD is a wonderful mentor and I am learning so much with these high acuity patients. This wasn't what I was looking for but it turned into somthing that is just right. I had to "prove" myself initially, but after the learning period was offered a position. Getting your first job may require some creativity whether it is by volunteering for a bit, working for less money or agreeing to work in area of medicine that isn't your first choice. By being open to all possibilities you will be most sucessful; it is important to realize that this first job is about acquiring experience only not about being the "dream job". That will come.. Good luck to you all!

AdejaC

55 months ago

Hello, I am a family Nurse Practitioner, new graduate. I am currently looking for a job in the new york area. preferably, westchester county, rockland, long island and nyc area. I rotated in Primary care, internal medicine, and cardiology area.

anyone interested,
my email adejacarlton@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LYLE ROBERTS in PICAYUNE, Mississippi

54 months ago

Ken in Red Bay, Alabama said: Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time finding work. There are NP jobs in the South if relocating is an option.

Hey:
I'm a recent ANP grad and live near the Alabama/Ms border in south MS. I've sent numerous resumes and only one interview. They wanted an experienced FNP not a new ANP grad. ANy ideas?
pup2pup

Kim English in Cornelius, North Carolina

54 months ago

Andrew Brown in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have two NP positions available even will consider new grads in North Carolina...

1)Pain Med- central, NC

2)Psych mental health center Eastern, NC brown@reef-sys.com

A-Brown

I have been looking for a job for the last 8 months as a new FNP grad, with 12 ys of Nursing experience...are you still looking?

54 months ago

Hello; My name is Kim and I've come across your request for needing a NP, even a new grad. Well, I've been seeking a FNP position for the last 8 months. I completed FNP Grad school in May 2009, ANCC in Dec, 09.

54 months ago

Maddie in Smithfield, Rhode Island said: Thank you so much for your input. I so appreciate you reaching out and taking the time to share your knowledge and valuable experiences. I will certainly look into free clinics to volunteer at locally. AND I will do my best to not lose hope! Thank you!

Hi Maddie; I too finished FNP School in May 09, ANCC in December 09 and have been seeking for employment every since, with 12 years of Med-Surge Experience! I've recently voluntered at a free clinic and will continue until something comes through! HANG IN THERE!!!

Kim in Cornelius, North Carolina

54 months ago

Margie in Lamar, Colorado said: After many interviews-2 offers in distant cities-one with a cardiologist andother with family practice- I landed a job as a new grad FNP in a clinic in a rural Colorado area for the underserved. It is 3 hours from Denver-and a great start. As I was leaving Tucson to relocate I was called for another underserved clinic job in Tucson but chose not to interview and to go through with the move to Colorado. Many of my classmates with no experience had to relocate or go to the new major city Phoenix and 1 1/2 hour away.
And loan payoff programs are motivators.
But I have found a great place to work and gain experience and great poeple to work for. They say doors open for you if the path is right, doors close for a reason.

Thanks Margie! I receive that very last statement! LOL, I too am an FNP, finishd school over a year ago, ANCC in December 09....been fishing for a job every since! All I hear is "you don't have experience"! My thought usually is...."They didn't have experience either before getting hired"! Daaugh!! It's been so frustrating!!!

54 months ago

Veronica ANP in metro Detroit, MI said: Hi everyone,

I am also having a difficult time finding ANP jobs in the metro Detroit area. I have gone on 3 interviews since graduating in Aug 2009. I have literally applied for every job posted @ every area hospital and I'm not sure what to do next! I agree with previous post and experience.

I will start volunteering in August. Relocation is not an option @ this time. Any suggestions?? Ideally I would love to be in private practice but I'm willing to do inpatient work to gain experience :/

Hi; I relocated from Detroit to NC in Jan 2005. I worked at Siani-Grace between 6 and 7 east for 8 yrs. I completed FNP school in May 2009, ANCC in December 2009 and haven't landed a job yet! I've decided to volunteer at a free clinic to gain experience, which from what I understand adds to our experience. HANG IN THERE, NEVER GIVE UP!!! GOD IS ABLE!!!!I even have to remind myself during my frustrating moments.

54 months ago

emihdqr19@sbcglobal.net in Cleveland, Ohio said: As a recruiter in the field for over 20+ years, yes, the answer is that many clients will hire a new grad if you have the apptitude and the attitude.
I receive daily openings from all over the country. Many are for new grads that the groups/physicians are willing to train if they know you will stay with the practice (not just come for the training and leave). Be positive, be willing to go the extra mile.
And for all new grads, not all great jobs are in major cities. WE have clients nationwide. Some of the best settings are smaller rural clients that really have a need for your care.
Presently, I am searching for a new grad, yes, a new FNP for a great doc in Wisconsin. He would like a new grad that he can train in the way he likes to do things. His present NP has been with him for years, he trained her but her husband has a job transfer. In asking him his thoughts, he said "find a new grad, I'll be happy to train!" So keep looking, the right job will come along.

Thank-you for that...many new grads needed to hear that, specially from a recruiter! We get so tired of the NO's....and that companies are looking for "experience only"! Even the experienced...was once un-experienced! HELLO!!!! SO, THANK-YOU! I my-self finished FNP school in May 2009, ANCC in December 09, with 12 years of Med Surge experience and has been at my current job 5 1/2 years. I think, many forget from whence they've come from! In addition: I might add, so many lack integrity now-a-days as to why many companies aren't willing to take a chance, especially on us new grads! Sooo SAD!!!

Veronica ANP-C

54 months ago

Updated!!- Update! So my 3 interviews turned into 9 w/ 3 job
Offers in nursing homes and home care. At this point, I have
accepted my last offer in Urgent Care! It took almost a year
But I'm happy to be in my dream job! I have 5 years ER
experience as a nurse. So I feel very very lucky!

My only advice is keep applying! Look on hospital websites
Apply! Apply! Apply... And I did exactly what a recruiter told
me- I was aggressive with the job I wanted- sent thanks yous
After the interview and followed up within 2 weeks.

54 months ago

Veronica ANP-C said: Updated!!- Update! So my 3 interviews turned into 9 w/ 3 job
Offers in nursing homes and home care. At this point, I have
accepted my last offer in Urgent Care! It took almost a year
But I'm happy to be in my dream job! I have 5 years ER
experience as a nurse. So I feel very very lucky!

My only advice is keep applying! Look on hospital websites
Apply! Apply! Apply... And I did exactly what a recruiter told
me- I was aggressive with the job I wanted- sent thanks yous
After the interview and followed up within 2 weeks.

Thanks Veronica!!!! Congrats!!!

RDH, BS in Vancouver, Washington

54 months ago

Hi, I'm a dental hygienist and I'm interested in going back to school to become a nurse practitioner. I'm wondering how's the job outlook in Portland, Oregon and if you have comments on what to expect as a NP. I would love to hear your feedback!! Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tilly in New Rochelle, New York

54 months ago

Try becoming a nurse first, this is not a turnkey profession and I am sick of all
the people who think it is. I precept NP students who have a non nursing BS and are in school to fastrack to NP. The student NP's can't spell, can't write, and have no command of medical terminology. It is frightening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

New NP in West Palm Beach, Florida

54 months ago

All the job listings for FNPs require experience; even with 17 years of RN experience, it is hard to find a job as a new FNP.

Lynn in Lawrenceville, Georgia

54 months ago

I am glad to report that I found a great job.I have been at this job for six weeks now.I absolutely love it!I was agressive in my job seeking efforts.I applied to every NP job available.I interviewed for many jobs.I got two job offers in my first 2 months of searching.I declined those two offers because of the pay ( less than what I made as an ICU nurse) and distance I would have to travel to get to one of them.The third job offer was a six figure pay offer with what I considered a wide open space for liability and as a new NP I want low profile and low liability with opportunity to learn.I had every intention of not giving up my RN job until I got something workable as an NP.I voluntered in a free clinic,I had my resume posted online,I networked with other NPs/MDs.I went to clinics with my resume and hand delivered them to prospective employers in business attire on a weekly basis to businesses within 50 mile radius to my home.
I interviewed 3 times for my job.I studied and practiced for each interview.I learned how to market myself in terms of my skills as an NP.I was notified two days after the third interview that I was their first choice for the job.This is after 7 months of serious job hunting with over too many interviews to count.I was exited.The physicians I work with are the best at what they do.They are supportive and I am learning on the job and studying on weekends to provide my patients the best quality of care they deserve.
I am writing this to let you know that you should never be discouraged and never loose sight of the big picture and what you want for yourself.Set your CV up online and also work with recruiting firms.Don't be picky with specialty unless you are specialised.I am an FNP and applied for any NP job.I have 20+ years of nursing experience with varied specialty with more than half of that time in the critical care areas.
I pray you find your ideal job.I know I have been there and I thank God for blessing me with this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maddie in North Providence, Rhode Island

54 months ago

Congratulations on your new position! Thank you for your valuable insight. I aggressively interviewed for many positions and finally accepted one with an Internal Medicine practice. It is with a great group of physicians and NPs and the surrounding communities are nice, so it is a great clientele. I have been a RN in the ED and in ICU settings for 10 yrs...primary care is an entirely different world for me and is a HUGE learning curve. Bottom line is that I am thankful to have been hired, given the economy and being a new grad. Unfortunately, I took a significant pay cut compared to my wages as a RN. Well, I wish you the best of luck in your new career. God Bless and take care!

Lynn in lawrenceville in Duluth, Georgia

54 months ago

Thanks and congratulations to you as well.You have done the right thing by taking this job.Your pay has no other direction to go but up.Good luck to you.

54 months ago

Maddie in North Providence, Rhode Island said: Congratulations on your new position! Thank you for your valuable insight. I aggressively interviewed for many positions and finally accepted one with an Internal Medicine practice. It is with a great group of physicians and NPs and the surrounding communities are nice, so it is a great clientele. I have been a RN in the ED and in ICU settings for 10 yrs...primary care is an entirely different world for me and is a HUGE learning curve. Bottom line is that I am thankful to have been hired, given the economy and being a new grad. Unfortunately, I took a significant pay cut compared to my wages as a RN. Well, I wish you the best of luck in your new career. God Bless and take care!

Congrats Maddie!

54 months ago

Congrats Maddie! U didn't loose hope!!!

Nikkie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

54 months ago

I am a new graduate Adult/Geriatric NP> I've been looking for job for the past twelve months.Most employers are requiring NP with experiences. Please if anyone know any employer that's willing to hire new grads in Minneapolis/St. Paul area, let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Duluth, Georgia

52 months ago

We are a Medical Service company looking for a NP in the GA Metro area. You do not need to have any experience. If you are interested please e-mail Amanda@allergyaware101.com

drcricket in Jersey City, New Jersey

52 months ago

Margie in Tucson, Arizona said: Fitzgeralds class and review book is fantastic, read it studied it and went to the course and passed both AANP and ANCC, also listened Amelie Hollier's CDs too.

Do you want to sell your books. I am planning to take the boards soon/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ann33 in Irvington, New York

52 months ago

Maddie in Smithfield, Rhode Island said: Hello fellow peers! I graduated over one year ago from a FNP program and became certified last summer. I have been looking for employment as a FNP full time for well over 6 months and have not gotten one final job offer. I have 10 years of experience in acute care settings as a RN (ICU, ED, etc). The majority of companies and practices that I apply to require prior NP experience and do not equate prior RN experience with any value. It is also discouraging because many times I have been told that I am a "top candidate" for the position and invited to 2nd and 3rd interviews, yet to be told in the end (after 1 to 2 months of ongoing unknown and no commitments)that they chose someone more qualified. Another frustrating trend that I have encountered is going for interviews (we all know how much time and effort it takes to research a potential place of employment and the stress involved with interviews) and never hearing back. One interview I had was literally 3 hours long, very academic and formal. I sent my thank you letter immediately after, and never heard back. I find this very disappointing and unprofessional. I am finding that all of this rejection of not getting hired as an NP is negatively effecting me. I am losing my hope and confidence. Never would I have thought this would be my destiny after NP school. I am concerned for my future professionally.

ann nyc.. don't give up keep positive. I interviewed 15 times then all of a sudden i had 4 offers.wow!

Renae in Huntersville, North Carolina

52 months ago

Many of us do indeed understand! I graduated in May 09, ANCC in December of 09 as a FNP and was turned own many times over the last year due to needing "experience"! I was beginning to take it personally! Yet, to get experience I needed to get hired! I feel your frustration! but never give up!After many many interviews; I finally got a job x1 day a week but it's a start! So, I say to you...the job that's for you will come. Every job isn't for Maddie. God know's what you (we) need. He has a special place for you to be! Hang in there!!!!!!

Renae in Huntersville, North Carolina

52 months ago

ann33 in Irvington, New York said: ann nyc.. don't give up keep positive. I interviewed 15 times then all of a sudden i had 4 offers.wow!

I forgot to tell you Maddie, the x1 day a week job came about last week! it does eventually COME!

Sarah in Nashville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Tilly in New Rochelle, New York said: Try becoming a nurse first, this is not a turnkey profession and I am sick of all
the people who think it is. I precept NP students who have a non nursing BS and are in school to fastrack to NP. The student NP's can't spell, can't write, and have no command of medical terminology. It is frightening.

And you have no command of grammar. There is a comma splice in your first sentence. I have a Master of Arts degree and am in a program full of fast-track students, most of whom have graduate degrees in other fields. Your comment is ignorant, and your mode of thinking is outdated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Nashville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Tilly in New Rochelle, New York said: Try becoming a nurse first, this is not a turnkey profession and I am sick of all

And you have no command of grammar. There's a comma splice in your first sentence. I have a Master of Arts degree and am in a program full of fast-track students, most of whom have graduate degrees. Your comment is ignorant, and your mode of thinking is outdated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RDH, BS in Vancouver, Washington

51 months ago

Sarah in Nashville, Tennessee said: And you have no command of grammar. There's a comma splice in your first sentence. I have a Master of Arts degree and am in a program full of fast-track students, most of whom have graduate degrees. Your comment is ignorant, and your mode of thinking is outdated.

Thanks, Sarah. Considering that English is my third language (with barely any accent), I think I'm doing pretty well. It's funny because healthcare professionals should be kind and considerate, but they certainly don't seem that way in this forum.

51 months ago

RDH, BS in Vancouver, Washington said: Thanks, Sarah. Considering that English is my third language (with barely any accent), I think I'm doing pretty well. It's funny because healthcare professionals should be kind and considerate, but they certainly don't seem that way in this forum.

See where your knowledge of a comma splice gets you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Sarah in Nashville, Tennessee said: And you have no command of grammar. There's a comma splice in your first sentence. I have a Master of Arts degree and am in a program full of fast-track students, most of whom have graduate degrees. Your comment is ignorant, and your mode of thinking is outdated.

See where your knowledge of a comma splice gets you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Nashville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Sarah, I am guessing that you are part of the Vanderbilt School Of Nursing's Advanced NP program?
Though I would agree that it is a fine program, and worthy of more respect that it receives, and also has significant room for improvement. I have encounted many MDs and RNs that feel that it doesn't properly prepare folks to be NP. Well, mixed thoughts on that. One gets out of the program what one puts in, and some folks are ideally suited in their persona, character, mental and assesment skills to be NP< even if on a fast-track and never held the RN role. Let us be supportive. Yes some nurses eat their young, and some Instituions simply abort them first by not hiring new grads. Such is the way in a recession, it is to be expected. Experience SHOULD win out when hiring an RN or NP position, all things being equal.
Yetzertov7 Yahoo

Jon in Nashville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Nikkie in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I am a new graduate Adult/Geriatric NP> I've been looking for job for the past twelve months.Most employers are requiring NP with experiences. Please if anyone know any employer that's willing to hire new grads in Minneapolis/St. Paul area, let me know.

lol. let me know too, i was considering moving there. Try volunteering in a local health clinic, it may offer opportunites to become acquainted with a rotation of physicians/providers. Here in Nashville, the market is a lil saturated, but then again, I have been focusing on the RN role not the NP.

Lynn in Lilburn, Georgia

50 months ago

Happy thanks giving to all.May you have joy this season.

bello444 in Cornelius, North Carolina

50 months ago

Dee in Conyers, Georgia said: Hello,
I am a new graduate Adult NP, which isn't as marketable as FNP. I'm finding many employers are requiring at least 2-3 years of experience. Anyone no of employers that are willing to hire new grads in Atlanta or nearby cities?

Hello, i have a company called GERIDOC . I hire independent contractor nurse practitioners to work in my long term care facilities. Location is charlotte and asheville / hendersonville area. We can supervise train new graduates to work in long term care facilities. Working as an independent contractor nurse practitioner is great. Hours are flexible, you can keep your regular job if you so desire or work until you find the np job you desire. As an independent contractor there is supervision available . MY company is also associated with a corporation which you can work as an employee in the asheville/ hendersonville area.

bello444 in Cornelius, North Carolina

50 months ago

Bennett in Woodstock, Georgia said: Hi...I am a new FNP-C also looking for a position. I have
used all my resources to the max. I will move anywhere in the
southeast region, and still having a hard time finding a position.
Im really considering the Airforce if I continue to have this kind of
luck!! Hell, I don't know if they would even want me...everybody seems to want an experinced NP?? It has been nearly six months since I finished my program! I never
thought I would have this kind of problem finding a job.

Hello , my company is called GERIDOC. I am a small company that hires and works with independent contractor nurse practitoners in long term care faciities. As an independent contractor hours are flexible, no benefits, supervision is present. Pay is excellent ! . Might be something you want to look at while you are looking for a full time job.
I am also affiliated with a company looking of nurse practitioners in the asheville/ hendersonville area of north carolina.
Opportunities for both independent contractor nurse practitioners and employee nurse practitioner.

John in Prescott, Arizona

49 months ago

I have been hiring NP, PA, and doctors for many years. My wife is a Family Practice MD, and my daughter is 3 rd medical student. No one know's what medicine will be like after the new health care plan goes into effect, but I think it will favor NP's and PA's. This is good!!!

My advise is to be determined and flexible.

When you interview make sure you let the doctor or administrator know that you understand "you are here for the patient", but that medicine is also a business and that you can support your cost to the practice. Most practices do not hire because they think the NP can not support there cost.

I hired a NP years ago when we did not have the need in the practice. She wanted to stay in the community and said she could work with out a MA until she was seeing 15 patients per day. Her productin was such that He did pay her own way and we hired her an MA within 30 days.

My point is be flexible and willing to show what you can do.

Remember: Never, Never, Never give up....... Winston

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TrinaB in Columbus, Ohio

49 months ago

I am a new grad. I have taken interest in a corrections position presented to me via an agency. I need to made sure I covered all bases as I am not convinced they have my interest at heart...Can someone shed any light on the topic?
Thank you!!!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.