Adult NP- New Graduate Job Search

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 188)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lynn in Lawrenceville, Georgia

68 months ago

TrinaB in Columbus, Ohio said: I am a new grad. I have taken interest in a corrections position presented to me via an agency. I need to made sure I covered all bases as I am not convinced they have my interest at heart...Can someone shed any light on the topic?
Thank you!!!

The way I see it.If you are hired to work as an NP good.You will be getting NP experience which is what you need at this juncture.I think if you get a preceptor to orient you to the correctional healthcare process at the job,that would be great.I worked in corrections as a nurse for 5 years.I saw we assisted the NP with getting them ready,making sure security is available and that the NP was safe.You don't have to work there for the rest of your career if you do not want to.Who knows,you might like it.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

patrycia0321 in Greenville, South Carolina

66 months ago

Dee in Conyers, Georgia said: Hello,
I am a new graduate Adult NP, which isn't as marketable as FNP. I'm finding many employers are requiring at least 2-3 years of experience. Anyone no of employers that are willing to hire new grads in Atlanta or nearby cities?

Hello, I am having the sam problem as a new grad fnp. Everyone wants someone with experience, which makes me wonder how the nps that have jobs ever got hired! Someone has got to be willing to give new grads a chance to et experienced. I live in the Greenville area. I know that The Little CLinics in Krogers grocery stores will hire new grads and some Minute Clinics will as well if you like retail. No Kroger Little CLinics in SC, but there are some n the Atlanta area. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Beverly, Massachusetts

66 months ago

Any NPs have experience relocating? I would like to know how it went for you- did u get a license in a bunch of states (which could be $$$) or did u find a job and then get a license??
ANy advice appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bello444 in Plant City, Florida

65 months ago

not in plant city , florida.... company is in charlotte and asheville north carolina.

albert s ford md cmd

Kim in Huntersville, North Carolina

65 months ago

"Don't get discouraged! it will come! I graduated in May 2009 as an FNP-BC and did not get an FNP job until September 2010, which is x1 day a week.....but something eventually came. I merely stayed working as a RN at the current job until a blessing came along! IT WILL COME!!! HOLD ON TO GOD'S UNCHANGING HAND"!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

ann in Harrison, New Jersey

64 months ago

yes volunteering is an excellent way to get a job as a NP, by the way thats how i got my first NP JOB. I want to the online bluecross blueshield provider directory. I called/faxed physician and was able to find a doctor who was looking for NP. One thing my cover stated wasthat i willing to volunteer. QUOTE who="Holly in Denver, Colorado"]Hi all,

One route to this "experience only" is to work on getting some through volunteering some where. I am going to start soon at Planned Parenthood but there is also the National Coalition for the Homeless, hospice, etc. These may not be the ideal position but it is an "in"; and many places do hire from their volunteer pool. Also, you can still be looking for work while you are volunteering.

Anne Currey in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Dee in Conyers, Georgia said: Hello,
I am a new graduate Adult NP, which isn't as marketable as FNP. I'm finding many employers are requiring at least 2-3 years of experience. Anyone no of employers that are willing to hire new grads in Atlanta or nearby cities?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've been trying for a few years to get a job as an NP so I wouldn't be cleaning up (you know what) anymore.
Since the NP "profession" is an extension of the girls club, they get their friends hired.
I've been on interviews where they already were negotiating a salary with a person who is a good friend of another NP in the practice. I found out that I was interviewed just to make it appear fair.
Sorriest mistake I ever made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NP/Adult in New Rochelle, New York

63 months ago

I am starting to agree with you...maybe one of the worst career choices/changes I have made in my life. Unable to find f/t work as an Adult NP

Jon in Nashville, Tennessee

63 months ago

Tilly in New Rochelle, New York said: Try becoming a nurse first, this is not a turnkey profession and I am sick of all
the people who think it is. I precept NP students who have a non nursing BS and are in school to fastrack to NP. The student NP's can't spell, can't write, and have no command of medical terminology. It is frightening.

And yet, there are programs out there whose sole purpose IS to fastrack RN and non-Rn to the NP position and role. Some of these, nay, Most of these are well-respected and honoured schools. Agreed that these programs may make it too fast. But how do you respond to the fact that these High level schools, who no doubt have their reputations in mind, offer these programs? If this method of becoming a NP is faulty, then what would you have All do? Or is it the individual students, or particular courses, or curricula that are flawed? I went to one of these schools in the South (Go, Commodores! or something), and have become a new RN, as well as New NP. I have spent the last near 2 years trying to become hired as (no, not NP) but an RN. not as easy as you might think.

Crystal in Cleveland, Texas

62 months ago

Anne Currey in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I've been trying for a few years to get a job as an NP so I wouldn't be cleaning up (you know what) anymore.
Since the NP "profession" is an extension of the girls club, they get their friends hired.
I've been on interviews where they already were negotiating a salary with a person who is a good friend of another NP in the practice. I found out that I was interviewed just to make it appear fair.
Sorriest mistake I ever made.

Hi there, my name is crystal, My boss is opening a pain clinic here in Houston, and if you are willing to relocate the pay will be reasonable. If you are interested please email me at cbermudez2010@live.com

Crystal in Cleveland, Texas

62 months ago

We are hiring a nurse practitioner with or without experience, new grads are welcome, for our pain management clinic. Pay is very reasonable. If you are willing to relocate or live in Houston please email me and we can go from there, thanks. Cbermudez2010@live.com

patti in Pueblo, Colorado

61 months ago

dmossgirl in West Chester, Pennsylvania said: I'm an FNP looking for work anywhere in SE Pennsylvania or Northern Delaware.
I spent the last year working abroad in S. Sudan in a small rural medical clinic, so I have some NP experience, just not in the US. Any thoughts?
I am particularly interested in ED fast track or urgent care, since I love suturing and minor injury care.

Curious about your work in the Sudan

DMPT in Jackson, Mississippi

60 months ago

Hello all. I'm wondering if the market is still as bleak as it has been or has it picked up since not as many people are posting. I am a new grad FNP in MS, have passed my boards and have been looking over 4 months in the Jackson area. A few of my classmates have found work through people they know. I have applied to every position, whether it asks for experience or not, and am not having any luck. I've been to one interview, and have another coming up next week. I am willing to relocate and have been speaking with recruiters but have not had any interviews or offers yet through them. I work as an RN right now part time and am thinking I will need to donate my time and volunteer hours just to get my foot in the door. I really don't want to have to do this being a single mom, it's hard enough getting ends to meet. I have 11 years experience as an RN, mostly in critical care areas. There are a few places I am interested in relocating to, including Colorado, Dallas, Atlanta, or Maryland, but everywhere I look, the employers want experience. How are we supposed to get the experience if noone is willing to hire us? It feels like a catch22. I realize I may need to move to a less desirable place and that is ok, as long as they have good schools for my daughter. Does anyone know of any metro areas that are hiring presently? I never expected this profession to be so hard to get into. I'm feeling extremely discouraged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Duluth, Georgia

60 months ago

Hello,
I am sorry you are frustrated.I know how you feel.I graduated in may,2009 and was also on this forum wondering why it took so long to get a job.I have been working for over 15 months now as an NP and feel I may have a little insight about the reason for our predicament.
1) As an RN,we did so many things which the physician signed off for and as long as we followed company/hospital policy,we were not involved in the back end of reimbursement issues.However,as an NP,with certification,NPI number and DEA number:the company I work for bill medicare/insurance companies etc for my services and they make it their business to see to it that I have the training necessary to do a great job.I take calls now and share responsibility with the physician I work with.A lot of trust and understanding is necessary for this to work.The company spent a good bit getting me there.The cost of training is part of the reason "experience" becomes an issue.2)Some companies may want to hire and train a graduate NP but if they have been through one or two NPs who after a short period of time decided to leave after training because they don't like ,they may then decide to stick with getting someone with experience.3)Part of looking for an NP with experience may be customer driven.Depending on the type of setting,clinic/hospital:consumers/customers ask and go online to find out how long their provider has been practicing.I know my patients, and family wanted to know.No matter how good you are,we are practicing in a very litigious society.People want leverage for what/who to blame for things and experience looks good although no guarantee for safety.4)specialty areas require experienced NP because it takes at least 6 to 9 months for a new provider to begin to show some productivity.I did not believe that but I now know that it is true.Remember,when you are hired and start working,you get paid from day one for the 6 to 9 months it took.Yes,it comes down to money.That is what it is about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Duluth, Georgia

60 months ago

That said,Please do apply to every NP job open.Apply online and post your resume online.I got several calls from employers who saw my resume online.Work with recruiters.Tell them what your ideal job would be and what you have passion for.Before your interview,prepare for your interview.Study for the interview.They ask questions about management of things like hypertension,diabetes etc.I interviewed in so many settings and I was asked things I did not expect.Go prepared to answer a question about management of a typical patient for the type of practice you are seeking employment.learn the guidelines the best you can and stay focused.I am an FNP as well and I am grateful to all the people who posted their experiences because it has helped me.
Good luck to you.You will find something soon.Please don't be discouraged.
I also feel that our Nursing leaders/universities can help us bridge this experience issue by arranging for a 6 to 12 month residency for NP's who passed the licensing exam and need hands on specialty experience needed to secure an NP position.I know I would have gladly gone for a residency program for the 8 months it took for me to find a job.The physicians,pharmacists,Physical therapists or even social workers don't have this problem.Instead of adding more coursework for a clinical DNP why don't they fix the ever learning and never good enough Nursing Issue/problem.
My heart goes out to all NPs who are searching for NP jobs and are told that they have no experience.It is a hard place to be.It was no fun for me and my children.God bless you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maricile in Iowa

59 months ago

Hello, I was just wondering if all those who posted here have gotten jobs. Am a new NP
graduate as well and not having any luck . My classmate and I were just talking last night
and we just thought the masters degree would open more doors. Need advice on relocation.
It will be hard due to family but I guess for now there are no other options

Donna in Clinton, Mississippi

59 months ago

Maricile in Iowa said: Hello, I was just wondering if all those who posted here have gotten jobs. Am a new NP
graduate as well and not having any luck . My classmate and I were just talking last night
and we just thought the masters degree would open more doors. Need advice on relocation.
It will be hard due to family but I guess for now there are no other options

I posted recently and at the moment am still looking, though I am feeling more optimistic now. I have had several companies reach out to me regarding job options even as a new grad. I am currently trying to narrow down my options on what will work best for me and my daughter. I will most likely be relocating, but it is worth it to get the training I'm looking for with decent pay. My advice is to keep looking, even if you are sick of looking, because eventually something will turn up. When I put in new grad nurse practitioner on the indeed search engine, it came up with a lot more willing to take new grads, as opposed to always seeing "new grads need not apply". Good luck in your search!

Sesha in Orlando, Florida

59 months ago

Thank you! Now I feel so much better. I am not alone. I am a new FNP and have been actively searching for a job in the Orlando area without any luck. It seems like every potential employer wants someone that have experience. Does anyone now of any potential job opportunities in this area for a new FNP? Thanks!

Maricile in Iowa

59 months ago

Hello and thank you for posting. It's been 4 months and still searching. I am practically
glued to the computer everyday since I got my license and am honestly just getting tired.
I do CE courses daily, at least it keeps me away from the NP job websites. Saw my
manager and asked her if I can do part-time work as RN but she told me I was silly. My
mistake was I resigned from work and went full-time when clinicals started. My classmate
moved to Florida and found a job with a solo practice physician. She said she just got lucky.
I had 2 interviews but they were all over an hour drive, I should have taken the job but
I thought 3 hours drive in a day can wear me down fast, moreso in the winter time. I pray
in due time we all get a job.

Alicia Nossov in Raleigh, North Carolina

58 months ago

Andrew Brown in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have two NP positions available even will consider new grads in North Carolina...

1)Pain Med- central, NC

2)Psych mental health center Eastern, NC brown@reef-sys.com

A-Brown

Andrew:
I am a FNP student and need to find my own clinical site for OB/GYN. Do you have any ideas? I have been exhausted my leads for next semester (January-May 2012).
Thanks- Alicia

jdcappelen in Pompano Beach, Florida

57 months ago

I have several amazing perm Nurse Practitioner positions with a company willing to hire new grads and give them extensive training in podiatry. TN, AL, and GA. Please email resume to jaclyn@greenlightstaffing.net if interested!

Boxerjacc in Williamsburg, Virginia

57 months ago

VCU healthcare in Richmond has many NP listings and will consider new grads for FNP's and ACNP's. I am a WHNP new grad x 6 mos- still looking for a job in my specialty. There have been infrequent listings all-the-while requiring experience.

ashleyli82 in Lakeland, Florida

57 months ago

Andrew Brown in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have two NP positions available even will consider new grads in North Carolina...

1)Pain Med- central, NC

2)Psych mental health center Eastern, NC brown@reef-sys.com

A-Brown

Mr. Brown,
Do you still have those positions available? If so, I can email you my CV. I am willing to relocate to NC or Va. Thanks, ashleyidiaquez@gmail.com

Lincas25 in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

FNP position available to start 5/1/12, in Charlotte NC private practice. please forward CV to claudelina.castro@mcfamilymedical.New grads will be consider. thanks.

Lincas25 in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

excuse the typo, the e-mail to forward your CV for the previous mentioned FNP position is claudelina.castro@mcfamilymedical.com. bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Career-changer in Rushville, Illinois

56 months ago

Maricile in Iowa said: Hello and thank you for posting. It's been 4 months and still searching. I am practically
glued to the computer everyday since I got my license and am honestly just getting tired.
I do CE courses daily, at least it keeps me away from the NP job websites. Saw my
manager and asked her if I can do part-time work as RN but she told me I was silly. My
mistake was I resigned from work and went full-time when clinicals started. My classmate
moved to Florida and found a job with a solo practice physician. She said she just got lucky.
I had 2 interviews but they were all over an hour drive, I should have taken the job but
I thought 3 hours drive in a day can wear me down fast, moreso in the winter time. I pray
in due time we all get a job.

So from your post and many others here that NP school is NOT the path to riches it's been held out to be? I had been seriously considering FNP programs and reading this has made me think twice.

ashleyli82 in Lakeland, Florida

56 months ago

I am having difficulty finding a position because:

1.) I am certified as an ADULT NP not FNP.
2.) I have less than one year experience.

Does anyone know any possible positions in NC or VA that are willing to accept my qualifications?

Although I am a new NP, I am not new to nursing; prior to becoming an NP, I held a full time position as a critical care RN in a cardiac ICU setting for 5 years at a not-for-profit 851-bed facility, and in low census, I expanded my nursing experience with travel assignments.

I am looking for job possibilities either in internal medicine, hospitalist, occupational health, public health, and I am open to other NP specialities as well.

Sincerely,
ashleyidiaquez@gmail.com

Alicia in Raleigh, North Carolina

56 months ago

rosewood said: I found a position in a correctional institution was of great benefit to me as a new graduate ANP. The collaborating physicians were very kind and helpful as were the staff and inmates that were happy I was there. I learned how to treat everything from athletes foot to alligator bites!

I am curious about prison work. Did you feel "locked up"? Did you feel safe? There is a new prison medical building scheduled to open in about a year in southwest Raleigh (any NC NP looking for work?) and I was considering applying.

NPA in Fayetteville, North Carolina

56 months ago

Alicia in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am curious about prison work. Did you feel "locked up"? Did you feel safe? There is a new prison medical building scheduled to open in about a year in southwest Raleigh (any NC NP looking for work?) and I was considering applying.

Are you currently looking for a position as an NP? We are currently looking to fill a position working a contract position at Seymour Johnson AFB. We are a legit company. We are not a recruiter or staffing agency. We are a defense contractor out of Fayetteville, NC. If you are looking or know anyone that is looking please have them send their resumes to danae.hunter@fdr-inc.com

bello444 in Charlotte, North Carolina

56 months ago

Pam in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hello I am a FNP new Graduate in Charlotte and I have been looking for a Practice to join for about 4 months. I am looking for full time work. I have applied it seems everywhere and everyone wants EXPERIENCED NPs. This is frustrating. Help I need a job in the Charlotte or Gastonia area.

HELLO PAM I HAVE A COMPANY CALLED GERIDOC LLC . IT IS A SMALL GROUP CONSISTING OF 2 NPS AND MYSELF ( BOARD CERTIFIED INTERNAL MEDICINE , CERTIFIED MEDICAL DIRECTOR AND IN LONGTERM CARE FOR 15 YEARS). I HAVE A NEED FOR A NURSE PRACTITIONER IN HENDERSONVILLE , ASHEVILLE AREA. INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR. SOME LIGHT TRAVEL REQUIRED AND TRIAGE. IF YOU ARE A NEW GRADUATE WE WILL WORK WITH YOU. WE ANTICIPATE RAPID PRACTICE GROWTH.

Boxerjacc in Williamsburg, Virginia

56 months ago

Good Day,

Yes, this forum can be used for job postings. You will find that most of us posting comments are new or recent graduates of various NP programs thus without experience. Please clarify if you would consider "new grads". Thank you.

Nurse Practitoner, Ideal Image in Vancouver, Washington

55 months ago

This is a fact based review of working for Ideal Image. I was contacted by a company ideal image in 2011 for a NP job. The company made the job sound like a dream come true. What I found was a culture of bullying, unprofessionalism, and lies. If you want to know more about becoming an employee of this corporation that is not owned by A German not an American company please read the online reviews about Ideal Image especially the hyped forbes review (lol). I was promised to work in WA then after getting to their corp office in Tampa for "laser training" I was told I would have to work in Oregon. This would be a great commute and inconvience after I just had left a previous job just to work in WA state. What kind of company does that? Then when I noticed Many things that were not ethical medcial practice and I reported it. I was IGNORED and I was terminated. If you want to protect your reputation in your career I strongly suggest you look at the online reviews. If you read good reviews of the company think with logic. As I witnessed many Ideal Image employees online writing fake reviews at the Vancouver WA office.

sl40 in Jackson, Mississippi

55 months ago

Donna in Clinton, Mississippi said: I posted recently and at the moment am still looking, though I am feeling more optimistic now. I have had several companies reach out to me regarding job options even as a new grad. I am currently trying to narrow down my options on what will work best for me and my daughter. I will most likely be relocating, but it is worth it to get the training I'm looking for with decent pay. My advice is to keep looking, even if you are sick of looking, because eventually something will turn up. When I put in new grad nurse practitioner on the indeed search engine, it came up with a lot more willing to take new grads, as opposed to always seeing "new grads need not apply". Good luck in your search!
I'm just curious have you found a job yet. I am also a new grad NP in Jackson area and have been looking for a job for 5 months. I have had some interviews and calls, but they lose interest after I mention I am a new grad,

MidLife Restart in Saint Louis, Missouri

55 months ago

Patricia Pugni in New Rochelle, New York said: I feel badly you are having a difficult time of finding a position. I am however a bit surprised of your expectations. New RN-FNP ??? How about some experience as an RN get real!!!! RN and new NP. You do need RN experience.

Well, for heaven's sake, why be so sarcastic? If there is no job opening for someone who goes straight from freshman in college to FNP, then it is the fault of the school for not requiring some RN experience before grad school entry (in which case, just as with medical internship, that time should be incorporated into pre-clinical time, so financial aid would cover it and so on. To offer those programs and then the workforce treating them as unqualified is an unfair dilemma, not arrogance on her part! Graduate programs churn out PAs, psychologists and all of those, newly minted with only the clinical practicum hours behind them. Yes, I expect, as a 25-year nurse to graduate with a WHOLE HECK of a lot more comfort and confidence which I indeed earned through long hard experience...and yes, I should find it easier to find my first NP job. But expecting APNs to get pre-upper-division college experience on their own dime, when we don't ask that of MDs and the like, is so much like our expectation that even a nurse executive in a suit be willing to help change a diaper---just to show she hasn't "risen above (the) bedside" nursing in Nightingale-unworthy fashion. And making fun of ignorant new grads who lack RN experience smacks of jealousy. I'm jealous, too...but that's not her fault she didn't have to climb up the hard way, is it? They advertised an education to earn a credential that gets you a certain career; she paid for it and worked for it, and now she wants a job. Common sense dictates they hire us first...but I would expect to earn considerably more if an employer is banking on my prior extensive experience as an RN to make me a better "new" NP, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MidLife Restart in Saint Louis, Missouri

55 months ago

Actually, a better analogy would be us refusing to hire a fresh-out-of-residency family practice Physician because he lacked PA experience. ASN and BSN Registered Nurses are not training or qualified for the NP role, although the NP is qualified to assume the new-grad "regular RN" role. A PA is someone who has (in essence, I've read) medical school, but zero experience as a new MD- medical resident. They have schooling and, like the NP, just the clinical practicum hours required for a PA in their specialty. They don't have the grueling residency years or acute-care rotations of an MD. So if this new-grad needs experience as an RN, should she have paused between her BSN and the graduate portion to get it? If so, then we should tell new MDs with only the minimum residency that they needed to spend some time working as a PA first, before going on in their education to become a full-fledged MD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smartin in Rancho Cordova, California

54 months ago

I am an administrator for an Urgent Care in Stockton California and we have openings for PA or NP to join our team. If you are interested please fill free to contact me at smartin0728@gmail.com.

jmb in League City, Texas

53 months ago

TrinaB in Columbus, Ohio said: I am a new grad. I have taken interest in a corrections position presented to me via an agency. I need to made sure I covered all bases as I am not convinced they have my interest at heart...Can someone shed any light on the topic?
Thank you!!!

it is a crying damn shame that so many NP are graduating and having to take whatever job they can find just to get experience, when they are applying for jobs they really want to do and employers are not choosing them because they do not want to spend the money or time in training. we have to go to the jails and/or prison systems to even get any experience. todays market is looking for what an employee can do for the company, not what the company can do for you. i have been on interviews and when i leave, they haven't told me one think they are going to do for me except approximate pay. what has this country come to. anyone that works in a public servant position (nurse, fireman, policeman, etc.) we go to work everyday not knowing if you will come home and if you come home did you get exposed to something that might kill you or your family. That's the chance we take and I don't think people think about it. If all nursing/health care professional personnel & teachers stayed home 1 week, the whole US/World would shut down. Have you ever thought about it, we do have some power. back when (1970-90's) at job interviews, the company was always selling themselves, but in todays market they will just throw you back on the street. Believe me, i am older now with a masters degree and i never thought i would experience being overlooked with much gained knowledge (not just book but life experience critical thinking counts for something), but it is happening everywhere. you have got to know someone or sell your soul to the devil to make it to the top. personally i don't like 'brown on the end of my nose'. My thoughts of the whole world has come to be a selfish, selfcentered place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sl40 in Jackson, Mississippi

53 months ago

I agree. It is the same in Mississippi. Jobs are given to those who know someone. It's very discouraging, and I sometime regret going back to school for NP.

53 months ago

I think it's important to make sure the viewpoint you take is business centered vs. emotional. I see a lot of ranting and raving from people on the forum, rather than seeking to understand the importance of HOW to secure a great position in 2012. This is a tough economy all around, but you are in the BEST profession and industry there is. I see tons of candidates every day and there ARE lots of jobs out there. You need to make sure you are presenting yourself in the best light and being SMART about networking and strategic about the way you search for your position. There are simple things that can be done to make your efforts more effective.

If you would like help in your search --- email resume in WORD format to Jaclyn@greenlightstaffing.NET if you would like us to contact you, market you to open positions and clients we work with on a regular basis. We match our efforts with the attitudes and efforts of our candidates. We are an agency, but we're a privately owned BOUTIQUE firm that centers on service and quality. Make it a great day~ Jaci

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Things are different. Management classes today focus on the needs of the company. Health care organizations do not focus on making everyone feel like family. They focus on staying in business, making a profit, and not getting out-maneuvered by the hospital down the block.
What's wrong with working in a prison? Don't you think these wretched souls deserve basic health care?
The advantages could be you will get a lot of experience, and your patients will benefit from your skills. Sometimes the benefits are excellant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I agree on the comment about care for prisoners--they deserve care like everyone else. I think the setting may not be ideal IF you had many options to choose from. But I'd recommend you try it and see if you like it. Sometimes that is a niche you might enjoy and you will have more options for jobs since some people won't even CONSIDER it. I'd try to make my contract with them 3 months then extend if you end up liking it and doing well-- you can really get through anything for 3 months even if you end up hating it. It's always good to have a variety of settings in your experience and any future employers will view you as pretty tough and versatile if you have that under your belt!

PS--- make sure you ask your agency what happens if you get there and it's miserable. Do they have an infrastructure in place that someone can step in to be your advocate if they are asking you to do anything you feel could jeopardize your safety or that is outside your scope of practice. If it's just the setting you don't like, that's one thing you should tough out, but if the scope of practice or safety piece come into play, their company should have safeguards in place to get you out of the contract. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jaci Tarlowe, MBA
President/CEO
Greenlight Staffing Services, Inc.
Jaclyn@greenlightstaffing.NET

lisawom in Danville, Virginia

53 months ago

Bennett in Woodstock, Georgia said: Hi...I am a new FNP-C also looking for a position. I have
used all my resources to the max. I will move anywhere in the
southeast region, and still having a hard time finding a position.
Im really considering the Airforce if I continue to have this kind of
luck!! Hell, I don't know if they would even want me...everybody seems to want an experinced NP?? It has been nearly six months since I finished my program! I never
thought I would have this kind of problem finding a job.

Are you still looking for a position as FNP. Our office is currently in need of NP ASAP to replace our NP that is not going to return from her maternity leave.

lisawom in Danville, Virginia

53 months ago

DMPT in Jackson, Mississippi said: Hello all. I'm wondering if the market is still as bleak as it has been or has it picked up since not as many people are posting. I am a new grad FNP in MS, have passed my boards and have been looking over 4 months in the Jackson area. A few of my classmates have found work through people they know. I have applied to every position, whether it asks for experience or not, and am not having any luck. I've been to one interview, and have another coming up next week. I am willing to relocate and have been speaking with recruiters but have not had any interviews or offers yet through them. I work as an RN right now part time and am thinking I will need to donate my time and volunteer hours just to get my foot in the door. I really don't want to have to do this being a single mom, it's hard enough getting ends to meet. I have 11 years experience as an RN, mostly in critical care areas. There are a few places I am interested in relocating to, including Colorado, Dallas, Atlanta, or Maryland, but everywhere I look, the employers want experience. How are we supposed to get the experience if noone is willing to hire us? It feels like a catch22. I realize I may need to move to a less desirable place and that is ok, as long as they have good schools for my daughter. Does anyone know of any metro areas that are hiring presently? I never expected this profession to be so hard to get into. I'm feeling extremely discouraged.

I am the office manager of a Family practice in Danville, VA-I am looking for a NP with/or without experience to fill a void by our last NP who has decided she doesn't want to come back to work after maternity leave. Please let me know if you are interested in more information!

gabriela121 in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

Since it is hard to find a job as an NP right now, do you think it would still be worth it to spend the money to go to a "highly regarded" school like Columbia to get my masters? Does that help get your foot in the door once you graduate? Or should I spend less money and go to a State school which is probably just as good?

53 months ago

My advice would be to do the state school. Whichever program you choose, make sure they have clinical rotations or internships so that you can make connections that can lead into job offers.

robinettereed in Goodyear, Arizona

53 months ago

I am a family nurse practitioner student looking for a preceptor for my last practicum in Goodyear, AZ and surrounding areas. Please respond if you know anyone or you are looking to become a mentor and help raise the next generation of up and coming FNP's. Thanks.

robinettereed in Goodyear, Arizona

53 months ago

I am a family nurse practitioner student looking for a preceptor for my last practicum in Goodyear, AZ and surrounding areas. Please respond if you know anyone or you are looking to become a mentor and help raise the next generation of up and coming FNP's. Thanks

AliciaNossov in Raleigh, North Carolina

53 months ago

I got out a map, and drew a 100 mile circle around my house. Then I looked up Federally funded community health centers and public health departments with that 100 mile radius, Write letters to "Dear Director of Nursing.....I am a FNP student enrolled in University if Phoenix in need of
Summer Clinical Rotation in Adult Health June 4-August 30 2012 240 hours
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Florence Nightingale
Florence@hotmail.com
Look up "FNP"+"Yapapai County" , "NP"+ "Tuscon", etc. and see what pops up. You can write letters to individual NPs also.
I wrote about 30 letters and sent at least as many emails.
You may be able to get a list of directors of public health departments on the internet. You can buy a mailing list from the state Board of Nursing to do a mass mailing of NPs living in your desired zip codes.
I spent this semester driving 110 miles away to a wonderful public health department, precepting with a woman with 25 years experience in OB/GYN. It was a nice drive. You can imagine how much $ I spent on gas.
Get used to the idea you may be writing dozens of letters.
How far are Indian Health Services away from you? You may be able to get an internship with them, or the VA. At one time, there were VA hospitals in Phoenix, Prescott and Tuscon; I imagine there must be more.

AliciaNossov in Raleigh, North Carolina

53 months ago

I got out a map, and drew a 100 mile circle around my house. Then I looked up Federally funded community health centers and public health departments with that 100 mile radius, Write letters to "Dear Director of Nursing.....I am a FNP student enrolled in University if Phoenix in need of
Summer Clinical Rotation in Adult Health June 4-August 30 2012 240 hours
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Florence Nightingale
Florence@hotmail.com
Look up "FNP"+"Yapapai County" , "NP"+ "Tuscon", etc. and see what pops up. You can write letters to individual NPs also.
I wrote about 30 letters and sent at least as many emails.
You may be able to get a list of directors of public health departments on the internet. You can buy a mailing list from the state Board of Nursing to do a mass mailing of NPs living in your desired zip codes.
I spent this semester driving 110 miles away to a wonderful public health department, precepting with a woman with 25 years experience in OB/GYN. It was a nice drive. You can imagine how much $ I spent on gas.
Get used to the idea you may be writing dozens of letters.
How far are Indian Health Services away from you? You may be able to get an internship with them, or the VA. At one time, there were VA hospitals in Phoenix, Prescott and Tuscon; I imagine there must be more.

53 months ago

Regarding whether to go to a state school or Columbia- I would advise going to a state school. Stay in contact with all your clinical preceptors, send thank you notes, send notes asking if they know anyone who might be hiring, "May I use you as a reference?".

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.