Board ordered nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1009)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana

39 months ago

This was my original post to this discussion board:

I have recently received a LA Board Consent with an order to complete continuing education hours in the area of Legal Aspects of Nursing Care. Does anyone know of free CE websites that provide these courses?

…but enough is enough!

I too share in everyone's pain and frustrations in dealing with the nursing state board. I truly understand that as nurses, we are in the business of throwing out a lifeline to providing safe and competent care to our afflicted patients, but who and where is the support we need (nurses) when we fall under various seen/unforeseen subjections?

From reading the previous posts, my heart and soul goes out to every nurse that has been punished (not disciplined) by his/her respective boards. I recently received a board consent order due to failing a pre-employment drug screen. I consulted several nurse attorneys, but could not afford the outrageous retainer fees. I expressed to the board that I was not working as a patient caregiver at the time, but they turned a deaf ear to my plight. I researched all avenues to keep the board from moving forward with the charge, but they went full force! They seem to have NO MERCY with their own, and definitely live up to the saying "Nurses eat their young!" In these cases, "young and old."

Many of you seem to have the passion to fight this beast known as the "State Board" and I am willing to join you. If we don't stand for something, we will fall for anything! I strongly believe that there is strength in numbers and that we can defeat this enemy. Too many of us have exemplary educational backgrounds, exceptional nursing experiences, and caring/compassionate hearts, and I would hate to see us give up because of what the "state board" says we can and/or can not do. They are controlling, obnoxious, dismissive, have tunnel vision, and uncaring and cold towards the very entity that they claim to be, NURSES!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana

39 months ago

Continued:

When I last checked, nurses do not, or rather should not posses these characteristics. Where is our compassion? I can truly understand repercussions if a nurse harmed a patient due to his/her non-cognitive state, but everyone should not be punished the same contingent upon their circumstances.

So, where do we go from here? I will connect with those of you who extend their personal emails. I am ready to turn these matters around for us as caregivers and fight the good fight!

To those who doubt and are non-believers, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST JESUS, THE ONE WHO GIVES US STRENGHT TO ENDURE UNTIL THE END! DON’T GIVE UP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana

39 months ago

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Correction: "When I last checked, nurses do not, or rather should not possess these characteristics."

To those who doubt and are non-believers, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST JESUS, THE ONE WHO GIVES US "STRENGTH" TO ENDURE UNTIL THE END! DON’T GIVE UP!!!

...where's the spell check??? :) LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

unemployable in Lebanon, Ohio

39 months ago

I find it ironic that in nursing school we are taught how addiction is a disease yet the medical profession, I have found, is one of the most unforgiving for this "medical disease". I struggled with addiction and went to inpatient and outpatient treatment on my own. I was clean for almost a year when an "annonymous" source decided to report me for my past bad decisions. My license was suspended for 18 months and I have 3 years of restrictions placed on my license. I can't find a job. I just saw a posting for a nurse in a treatment center and they listed in their requirements that they want a RN with no disciplinary actions against them by the board of nursing. If a center that treats addiction and knows about this disease won't hire us then who will? I have jumped through hoops for the board to get this far and still have to for 3 years after getting a RN position. I wondering if it is worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheilah Dye in Rockford, Illinois

38 months ago

I am a nurse in recovery and sober for 6 years, I had disciplinary action which will be on my license forever, I had 3 years of probation completed some time ago successfully. My question is I am interviewing for new jobs and do I tell them my history right off the bat, if they ask because they will see I was disciplined, I dont mind sharing my story, but I dont know if I should lead off with it or wait until a job is offered, it's been 6 years, please advise

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517

38 months ago

Dear Sheliah,
From my job search experience most if not all places I applied it was online and there was ALWAYS the dreaded question was your license ever disciplined?! You must answer truthfully as they will find out anyway also it is a violation of the Nurse Practice Act subject to discipline/fine by the Nursing Board should someone report you.If you are lucky enough to get invited in for an interview after disclosing this in general way on the application there is NO need to lead with that as you have already disclosed.I have never had the unit manager with whom I having interview with have a job application in front of them...they are interested in your presentation of yourself,and your resume/experience. When you are brought in for 2nd interview or when an official offer has been made to you then and only then do you bring this up.If you have no restrictions/stipulations left on your liscense I would NEVER bring it up unless directly asked...that was then,this is now.It only becomes a point of serious discussion if you have restrictions requiring special accomodation. Make sure you are not still on National Practioner Data Bank or the Office of Inspector General exclusion list in your state. I wish you the very best of luck...much congratulations on your hard earned sobriety...a lot to be proud of!! Warm regards, Pat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Helen Davila in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

I wanted to know where you send the information to for an appeal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517

37 months ago

Helen Davila in Lancaster, Pennsylvania said: I wanted to know where you send the information to for an appeal.

Helen,
Hi there,I have an interesting article I would like to share with you regarding Appeals/right to hearing etc...email me directly if interested.....patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com Warmly, Pat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LaNell in Dublin, Georgia

37 months ago

Hi. I'm not certain that my situation is similar to yours except for the fact that the BON ((Ga) has turned me into a zombie! There was a computer glitch in Jan 2011, when my license was up for renewal. At the time, the only 'punishment' for late filing(2 days) was a $35 charge. However, after finding a job that I finally loved, in May, I was approached by HR stating my license was expired. Therefor, I, unknowingly, had been practicing without a valid license. Now the company refuses to pay me for services rendered during the month of April (there billing was always behind). They have not mentioned anything about the bills the collected on from Feb1 to May 10, Just the April amt. So, I was told that i HAD TO DO 'Reinstatement' in order to get my RN and FNP license back. After being unemployed with 3 children, mortgage, second mortgage...you get the drift. The 'Reinstatement' process drug on until I had to swallow my pride, stop fighting them and sign an AFFIDAVIT, pay$300.00 fine and try to get reimbursed for monies owed to me. Eight months all together.
Biggest question: If the co was billing through a Dr's number, WHY are they refusing to pay me now?
The BON judgement was a 'Private reprimand'. Not only that, the ruling for reinstatement became a BON rule AFTER my situation began. Any attorney's out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse. in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

Ivannursing in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Hello, how are you doing? I was just wondering how long did it took you to get your license? Did it go through the further review that has to be paid $150 dollars? I am trying to get my license endorse to Texas, but I had a drug felony of distribution to dangerous drugs in 1992. Any help would be grateful appreciated. Thank you.
Ivan

I am in the 45 day review with the operations department in Texas... My criminal records were expunged and sealed and on my court documents they are not public records any more. My questions is do y'all think when my license is issued, will it inculde stipulations ? I need some Help I'm so scared n anxious. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Nurse. in Houston, Texas said: I am in the 45 day review with the operations department in Texas... My criminal records were expunged and sealed and on my court documents they are not public records any more. My questions is do y'all think when my license is issued, will it inculde stipulations ? I need some Help I'm so scared n anxious. Thank you.

Hi there,
You won't believe this,I was doing research trying to advise another nurse just this morning about this....check out on Texas BON site...a link about criminal charges what is reportable,there is a whole section specificially about the reporting of arrests,charges etc...I learned much that I NEVER knew....Just in case I'm confusing which BON site I visited GOOGLE to be safe the Laws SPECIFIC to the STATE pertaining to you as some vary...Basically crimes that were expunged/no longer public record regardless how long ago....MUST still be reported to BON....ANY person holding ANY type of STATE ISSUED license must disclose this when applying,reapplying etc...job applications as well....in some instances it is viloation of STATE law AND VIOLATION of NURSE Practice Act which could cost you to be $$fined,disciplined from a sanction up to and including SUSPENSION.
I'm in the same situation,it sucks...sucks for LIFE.After all you have accomplished etc don't put yourself at risk now,it ALWAYS catches up with you.You will eventually get a job,it may not bethe one you want,like etc that is just the way it is for some of us.
I wish the best for you on your journey,I hope I've helped...Warmly, Pat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Finally over in San Antonio, Texas

37 months ago

As a teenager, I made some really poor choices and got arrested a few times. So when I got my life together, I petitioned to the Texas BON and they put me on stipulations for one year, with drug testing and quarterly evaluations and stipulations on what i could and couldn't do. Being a brand new nurse with no experience and stipulations, it was so hard for me and so scary. But I went on craigslist and found a job at a nursing home that was pretty desperate for nurses. Luckily they gave me a chance and after almost $5000 in fees and embarrassment, I was 2 months from being done when I got a letter from the board that said my first drug test (nearly a year before I got the letter) had come out positive for something they already knew about. So I hired a lawyer, waited another year and just a few weeks ago I finally got a letter from the board that they were dropping the charges and that my stipulations were met and my license was cleared. My best advice to all of you going through the same thing I did is HIRE A LAWYER!! Don't get me wrong, it was expensive, the lawyer I went with had a $3000 retainer, but it was worth every penny!! I only wish I had done that to begin with. Also, if you ever have to mail the board anything, make sure that you send it with delivery confirmation and where someone there has to sign for it. At first, I felt guily about my past and so I took what the board gave me with my tail bewteen my legs just thanking God that the board had given me a chance, but now I know that we have got to fight! We are human, we make mistakes, but we all have to remember that this is a business. And they will make money any which way they can.So for all of you in my situation, look for jobs in small towns near where you live that are desperate for nurses, look on craigslist. Hire a lawyer. and fight! never give up! and may God bless all of us who make mistakes and are hoping for a second chance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Dallas, Texas

37 months ago

Ivannursing in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Hello, how are you doing? I was just wondering how long did it took you to get your license? Did it go through the further review that has to be paid $150 dollars? I am trying to get my license endorse to Texas, but I had a drug felony of distribution to dangerous drugs in 1992. Any help would be grateful appreciated. Thank you.
Ivan

Hello, I have been an LPN for 13 yrs. with absolutely no issues. I received a DUI while on vacation in Connecticut. I have been licensed in 4 different states, since I've done a lot of travel nursing. I applied for Texas...it took a little over a year to get it. The cost? $850 for a Psych Eval (board demanded it), fines and Restricted License that I cannot work anywhere outside of Texas without the Boards written permission. UA for a year. This DUI was 6 yrs. ago while on vacation and totally NOT related to work. I moved here to be near my daughter & grandson...cannot find a job to save my life! No supervised work, no restrictions other that Texas ONLY & UA's...doesn't matter-nobody will hire me! They have an 11 page document attached to my License when you try to verify me! I'm about to be on the street as soon as my unemployment runs out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ktrn77 in Springfield, Illinois

37 months ago

Wow!!! in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I just happened to stumble onto this forum and I am shocked at how many nurses have substance abuse problems. Also amazed at all the excuses. If I was a convicted of robbing a bank, I would never get a job at Bank of America. Same thing with nursing. You get caught diverting or have a substance abuse problem, please tell me why Joe Public should put his life and health in your hands? Yes I believe everyone has the right to earn an honest living but it doesn't have to be in nursing. There are consequences to foolish actions.

WOW!!!! I can not believe that there are people as ignorant as you still out there! Addiction is a disease, the same as diabetes or cancer. It is an incurable disease but it can be arrested and RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE. Nurses and physicians are at a higher risk for addiction because of our beliefs in medical treatments, the physical as well as mental requirements of the job. To compare the disease of addiction to robbing a bank is just crazy! It would be like telling someone with diabetes that they couldn't work in a candy store or a sugar factory. I pray that you never have to deal with addiction first hand, either yourself or with a loved one, but you really should learn more about the topic before you begin sharing on it. God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Hi there,
Wow,my heart aches for you truly.The issue here is in EVERY state you are mandated by the nurse practice act to report DUI to nursing board.Infact in Texas any violation with a fine for $300 or more must be reported to the board for ANYONE who holds a STATE license of any kind.When a nurse renews a license it ALWAYS asks if any arrests,crimes etc happened since last license was issued.Sadly as you learned,they always find out and regardless of how long ago it was you will "pay for it" now.I urge you and others reading this,review this on your BON site for your state/states most are same on this issue.Look over Nurse Practice act,the board gets nurses here on soo many things most know nothing about.Lastly,always check your STATE laws too,these can vary somewhat. Hang in there,eventually you will get a job,it will not be what you would like but it will be something.Until then may God Bless and protect you on your journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse. in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

Dallas in Dallas, Texas said: Hello, I have been an LPN for 13 yrs. with absolutely no issues. I received a DUI while on vacation in Connecticut. I have been licensed in 4 different states, since I've done a lot of travel nursing. I applied for Texas...it took a little over a year to get it. The cost? $850 for a Psych Eval (board demanded it), fines and Restricted License that I cannot work anywhere outside of Texas without the Boards written permission. UA for a year. This DUI was 6 yrs. ago while on vacation and totally NOT related to work. I moved here to be near my daughter & grandson...cannot find a job to save my life! No supervised work, no restrictions other that Texas ONLY & UA's...doesn't matter-nobody will hire me! They have an 11 page document attached to my License when you try to verify me! I'm about to be on the street as soon as my unemployment runs out.

Did you go through the 150 review? Or was it approved in the operations department ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Dallas, Texas

37 months ago

I don't know. I know I had to wait for the board to meet to decide, that's all I know. They treated me like I was trash under their feet. When I was given my stipulations, I was treated as though they were doing me a huge favor by giving me my license at all. I did get two interviews for the 1st of this week, so I'm very excited - please everyone, say a prayer for me! I do not do drugs, never have. I do enjoy a drink but NEVER when I have to work or work the next day. I really don't deserve this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anamcara517 in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Article regarding LANDMARK case APPEAL Suspended License....

Please note this was in FLORIDA,other states may have different laws so ALWAYS check your state...VERY informative,sadly our BON tell us nothing,seem to know nothing,treat us like we are nothing.

Google: Ludwig vs Board of Health..that's it.Hope this helps at least 1 person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Katy, Texas

37 months ago

Any body had to wait 45 days under the operations review in Texas and got approved for nclex? Any one with my similiar stituation? Thank-you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Katy, Texas

37 months ago

After 4 months of waiting I finally received my ATT today...Thank you JESUS!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Persevering ... in Lufkin, Texas

36 months ago

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana said: To those who doubt and are non-believers, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST JESUS, THE ONE WHO GIVES US "STRENGTH" TO ENDURE UNTIL THE END! DON’T GIVE UP!!!

Amen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

VMK, Texas in San Antonio, Texas said: I am on board order and I need help! I did not start ua's with Board Order so I have to do 3 years of ua's but have already done 3 years working as stipulated in BO. I am still encumbered because of ua's. I can't find a job!!!!! any prospective employer see's "stips" and is automatically turned off, but my only stip is I still haveto get ua's. No other stips are still in effect! Anyone????? I need some help or advice!

I have one year of UA's and employers are avoiding me like the plague...mine is for a DUI while on vacation, not even work related. Good luck, hope you have better luck than I have. I'll be homeless after the 1st of the year. Living in my car with my 2 dogs. 13 year experience as a nurse with no problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Persevering ... in Lufkin, Texas

36 months ago

Dallas in Dallas, Texas said: I have one year of UA's and employers are avoiding me like the plague...mine is for a DUI while on vacation, not even work related. Good luck, hope you have better luck than I have. I'll be homeless after the 1st of the year. Living in my car with my 2 dogs. 13 year experience as a nurse with no problems.

Bless your heart! Im in the same spot for the same reason. Mine too was totally non-work related and 5 yrs ago as well. Over 20 years of problem free, compassionate and conscientious nursing, and I can't get a job. I am also at risk of losing my home. I am so very sorry for your situation. I wish I could help you and all the others as well as myself. I keep hope in Christ ... and I keep plugging along. If you would like to email, let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Persevering ... in Lufkin, Texas

36 months ago

Dallas in Dallas, Texas said: I don't know. I know I had to wait for the board to meet to decide, that's all I know. They treated me like I was trash under their feet. When I was given my stipulations, I was treated as though they were doing me a huge favor by giving me my license at all. I did get two interviews for the 1st of this week, so I'm very excited - please everyone, say a prayer for me! I do not do drugs, never have. I do enjoy a drink but NEVER when I have to work or work the next day. I really don't deserve this.

I just read your comment today. I will pray for you and hope you have already been hired somewhere. I am so sorry for what you have gone through. God bless you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jessica rn in Ballwin, Missouri

36 months ago

Prayers coming your way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

Persevering ... in Lufkin, Texas said: I just read your comment today. I will pray for you and hope you have already been hired somewhere. I am so sorry for what you have gone through. God bless you!

Prayers are what I need & thank you so very much for them. No, almost got a great one & as soon as they see that 11 page document attached to my license, bye bye. Please keep praying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

jessica rn in Ballwin, Missouri said: Prayers coming your way!

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ZZRNA in Katy, Texas

36 months ago

Interesting blog. Thought I'd share my experiences. In 2007 I was working in an outpatient surgery center. We were issued fanny packs with all the controlled substances in a plastic box. On the morning of the incident the Pharmacy Nurse was late to work, and my surgeon was upset with the delay. I received my fanny pack opened it and did a cursory count. At the end of the day I turned in my fanny pack to the Pharmacy Nurse. During the return count it was discovered that one 2cc vial of Fentanyl was broken. She instructed me to document that as wasted. It was then discovered that one 2cc vial of Fentanyl was missing. I had not used any Fentanyl all day. I asked the Pharmacy Nurse what to do and how to document this. Her reply was “I don’t know.” I asked if there was someone we needed to contact on how to resolve this. She replied “I don’t know.” I asked her 6 times, finally she replies “ I guess we can document it as wasted.” I asked if she was sure this was the correct way to handle this. She replied “yes.” I asked one more time if she was how she wanted this handled and if she was sure this was the correct way to handle this. She again replied “yes”. So I changed the number of wasted Fentanyl vials from one to two on the drug count sheet. Three days later she reported me to the BON for falsifying the drug record.
In 2010 the BON deemed that a reprimanded be placed on my license. The ruling was issued in February. I informed my employer, who informed the hospital to which the hospital asks my employer to not use me anymore, i.e. fired. I have since applied to over 150 jobs with in the state had 1 interview with no luck. I have over 30 years experience, never abused controlled substances. This was a documentation fault. But as soon as any employer sees "fentanly" in in reprimand,I don't get any interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Delray Beach, Florida

36 months ago

Hey ZZ,
Wow! What an awful thing to happen.I'm quite sure all of this completely blindsided you as it often takes soo long for cases to actually go before the BON,looks like 3yrs in your case?! So sorry... Wasn't there HR policies to protect you,should have been unless you were newly employed there and still on probationary status??

It can be tedious communicating through this forum if you would like to contact me directly please do so.For sure,obtaining gainful employment is probably the most difficult aspect.Seasoned "warriors"like my self can be great sources of information and support to hopefully make your journey a little easier....until then my prayers go with you...warmly, Pat
patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Delray Beach, Florida

36 months ago

ZZRNA in Katy, Texas said: Interesting blog. Thought I'd share my experiences. In 2007 I was working in an outpatient surgery center. We were issued fanny packs with all the controlled substances in a plastic box. On the morning of the incident the Pharmacy Nurse was late to work, and my surgeon was upset with the delay. I received my fanny pack opened it and did a cursory count. At the end of the day I turned in my fanny pack to the Pharmacy Nurse. During the return count it was discovered that one 2cc vial of Fentanyl was broken. She instructed me to document that as wasted. It was then discovered that one 2cc vial of Fentanyl was missing. I had not used any Fentanyl all day. I asked the Pharmacy Nurse what to do and how to document this. Her reply was “I don’t know.” I asked if there was someone we needed to contact on how to resolve this. She replied “I don’t know.” I asked her 6 times, finally she replies “ I guess we can document it as wasted.” I asked if she was sure this was the correct way to handle this. She replied “yes.” I asked one more time if she was how she wanted this handled and if she was sure this was the correct way to handle this. She again replied “yes”. So I changed the number of wasted Fentanyl vials from one to two on the drug count sheet. Three days later she reported me to the BON for falsifying the drug record.
In 2010 the BON deemed that a reprimanded be placed on my license. The ruling was issued in February. I informed my employer, who informed the hospital to which the hospital asks my employer to not use me anymore, i.e. fired. I have since applied to over 150 jobs with in the state had 1 interview with no luck. I have over 30 years experience, never abused controlled substances. This was a documentation fault. But as soon as any employer sees "fentanly" in in reprimand,I don't get any interviews.

I am a "seasoned warrior"on the job search battle ground,it can be done.Email me! patriciaboyle17@yahoo Prayers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana

36 months ago

unemployable in Lebanon, Ohio said: I find it ironic that in nursing school we are taught how addiction is a disease yet the medical profession, I have found, is one of the most unforgiving for this "medical disease". I struggled with addiction and went to inpatient and outpatient treatment on my own. I was clean for almost a year when an "annonymous" source decided to report me for my past bad decisions. My license was suspended for 18 months and I have 3 years of restrictions placed on my license. I can't find a job. I just saw a posting for a nurse in a treatment center and they listed in their requirements that they want a RN with no disciplinary actions against them by the board of nursing. If a center that treats addiction and knows about this disease won't hire us then who will? I have jumped through hoops for the board to get this far and still have to for 3 years after getting a RN position. I wondering if it is worth it?

It is unfortunate that there seems to be no "refuge" for individuals with our circumstances in the nursing world! However, I encourage you to keep pushing forward! Remind yourself of how you pushed yourself through nursing school, and would stop at absolutely nothing until you received your degree! Same with obtaining work after disciplinary actions have been taken. 99 people may say "no," but there is always that one that will say "yes." The board stipulations are there, and will never go away, but don't stop looking, asking, seeking, and knocking until you receive the job that's out there waiting for you! God bless, and Happy Holidays!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana

36 months ago

Sheilah Dye in Rockford, Illinois said: I am a nurse in recovery and sober for 6 years, I had disciplinary action which will be on my license forever, I had 3 years of probation completed some time ago successfully. My question is I am interviewing for new jobs and do I tell them my history right off the bat, if they ask because they will see I was disciplined, I dont mind sharing my story, but I dont know if I should lead off with it or wait until a job is offered, it's been 6 years, please advise

Hi Sheilah,
Congratulations on your successful recovery! I have just began this journey, and I have three years to tackle! I have been on countless interviews & have received mixed signals from different employers. I am finding now that it is all in your approach & how you present yourself. If you exceed in selling yourself professionally with ABSOLUTE assurance & confidence, the hiring manager(s) will buy in immediately! If that goes over well, disclosing your past history won't really matter.

Project your future goals, be realistic, & show them what you have to offer the organization if they choose to hire you. Ensure them that your past is exactly that "the past," & that you are ready to move forward with a new start when (not if) given the opportunity!

Disclosing your probation status can be the death of the interview before it begins! If you tell the interviewer early on that your license has been restricted, pre-judgement will set in, & there is no hope of recovery! Believe me, they have already made it up in their mind that they don't want to deal with a "troubled nurse." I have experienced several interviews whereas the hiring manager would praise my resume, work experience, credentials, etc., but as soon as I reveal the board order, it all goes down hill!

When meeting with a hiring manager, (1)do some research on the company, (2)get a feel for the person(s) that are interviewing you, (3) pray! All the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana

36 months ago

Sheilah Dye in Rockford, Illinois said: I am a nurse in recovery and sober for 6 years, I had disciplinary action which will be on my license forever, I had 3 years of probation completed some time ago successfully. My question is I am interviewing for new jobs and do I tell them my history right off the bat, if they ask because they will see I was disciplined, I dont mind sharing my story, but I dont know if I should lead off with it or wait until a job is offered, it's been 6 years, please advise

Hi again Sheilah,
During your 3 years of probation, did you ever received any "abnormal" test results? If so, what were the ramifications, if any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anamcara517 in Delray Beach, Florida

36 months ago

unemployable in Lebanon, Ohio said: I find it ironic that in nursing school we are taught how addiction is a disease yet the medical profession, I have found, is one of the most unforgiving for this "medical disease". I struggled with addiction and went to inpatient and outpatient treatment on my own. I was clean for almost a year when an "annonymous" source decided to report me for my past bad decisions. My license was suspended for 18 months and I have 3 years of restrictions placed on my license. I can't find a job. I just saw a posting for a nurse in a treatment center and they listed in their requirements that they want a RN with no disciplinary actions against them by the board of nursing. If a center that treats addiction and knows about this disease won't hire us then who will? I have jumped through hoops for the board to get this far and still have to for 3 years after getting a RN position. I wondering if it is worth it?

Treatment Centers welcome nurses in recovery,infact your "problem" as other areas of nursing view US and our DISEASE, is our greatest asset in the Recovery community.I know this 1st hand as a recovering nurse with 35 yrs dedicated to Behavioral Health.The practical exceptions to this which you may be encountering..under your stipulations do you have a NARCOTIC RESTRICTION? If so,you truthfully could not fulfill the job requirements at a Treatment center as the RN's primary role is dispensing controlled meds to treat detox/withdrawal symptoms,I NEVER ever was exposed to this much controlled drugs in any other job!!
Most reputable TC's require ALL employees to have MINIMUM of 2-3 yrs SOLID SOBRIETY.There is such good reason for this,developing a balanced life rooted in recovery takes 110% to obtain and is so sadly often lost by well meaning folks trying to help others at the expense of themselves before they have healed sufficiently themselves.You will eventually get a job,it may look different than what you are used to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dallas in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

I believe that a person in our position should indeed select the right moment at the interview to tell them about our situations. I believe that if we do not, they will feel that we are liars & cannot be trusted...they are going to find out once they key in our license...better they already expect it, than to think we attempted to hide it. Don't come off as a liar as well as the other issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lindaP in Sevierville, Tennessee

36 months ago

where are collection sites in the Pigeon Forge area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

Hello,
I am new to this site/forum and the only way I see to POST is by reply. I am an RN for over 13yrs. My partner got layed off but was lucky enough to find a job in Dallas. I got extremely depressed and went into a deep depression. Also, I have been going to a pain clinic where for the last 6 yrs was on methadone tabs(they are great back pain pills), oxycontin for breakthrough, and xanax for anxiety(I was in 1 of the towers on 9/11 and a war vet. Well, due to the depression(this was Oct 2010) when we got to Dallas I did Dr. Shop for Xanax so I could just sleep. In Oct 10 I typed. Fake RX, did not get the pills. I heard nothig util 12/23/10 when a detective called and said we had to meet after the holidays. So I found an attorney through an ad in the local gay weekly paper. Well, at the meeting I learned he was a brand new attorney, and I wrote a statement admitting to the illegal rx.
I was charged w/1 ct of RX fraud, turned myself in, got bonded out. At the time I was applying for my RN through endorsement, however, 2 weeks after the arrest I got a letter saying that I have a positive background check and they asked for info. I just ignored it, fired the new lawyer and hired a criminal attorney that had 8 yrs experience as a prosecutor. The plan: challenge the statement due to the lies the detective promised. The new attorney even has gotten the 1st attorney to agree to testify, he was so naive he stated "I don't believe the police would lie". So here we are Jan 2012, I have on my own lowered my opiod usage and xanax usage. Also have all MD's informed of what has happened. Ohas for my license i got a second letter asking for $150 to do an investigation. I replied(by advice of an RN attorney that at current I am withdrawing my app.
so now, I have concluded that after being on the Meth, and Oxy's, and am down to 1pill of each in the am and 1 of each in the eve. However, since I have been on them so long I can't kick'em w/o withdrawal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

FINISH my long story......sorry so long. I have decided to enter an o/p medical withdrawal program starting the 16th, as for the xanax, my MD and I are tapering off. As you should know, since i've been on these so long I have grown a tolerance and they really do nothing anymore. But I still get withdrawal, even tho the dose is very low than I had been on. I see a neurosgn for my back next week, probably going to get the electrical nerve shocker implants.
as for the legal, my lawyer believes that after I have done all this and have the proof that I will get dropped to a misd c w/a 3 month no report adjudication then it should be dismissed.
however, I will have to wait 17 months for eligibility for expungement.
during those 17 mos. Is it possible to get my Texas RN license endorsed, with the help of an attorney that works on the BON area? Then if I do get it, find a job. The nurse at my intake said go into the chem. Withdrawal field because a lot of their nurses have gone through this themselves.
I also have the option to do some traveling to the states I still have my license in for work until the time for expungement comes up and hopefully gets expunged, then get my Texas license.
any feedback on experiences of this type is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Greensboro, North Carolina

36 months ago

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas said: FINISH my long story......sorry so long. I have decided to enter an o/p medical withdrawal program starting the 16th, as for the xanax, my MD and I are tapering off. As you should know, since i've been on these so long I have grown a tolerance and they really do nothing anymore. But I still get withdrawal, even tho the dose is very low than I had been on. I see a neurosgn for my back next week, probably going to get the electrical nerve shocker implants.
as for the legal, my lawyer believes that after I have done all this and have the proof that I will get dropped to a misd c w/a 3 month no report adjudication then it should be dismissed.
however, I will have to wait 17 months for eligibility for expungement.
during those 17 mos. Is it possible to get my Texas RN license endorsed, with the help of an attorney that works on the BON area? Then if I do get it, find a job. The nurse at my intake said go into the chem. Withdrawal field because a lot of their nurses have gone through this themselves.
I also have the option to do some traveling to the states I still have my license in for work until the time for expungement comes up and hopefully gets expunged, then get my Texas license.
any feedback on experiences of this type is appreciated.

If you read the BON policy on impaired nurses in the state you plan to travel to, you will see that they could care less if you are, 1 in pain legitimately, 2 if you may have charges dropped to misdemeanor, 3 that you found a cleaver way to hold up renewal, 4 if at some point you may be off meds. If they find out,as you see on this page they normally do, that you were charged with any crime without reporting you will be investigated. Once they realize it was drug related at all, They will pull your prescription record, eval how much you were taking if you were dr. shopping and then you will be given a choice. cont..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Greensboro, North Carolina

36 months ago

To cont. You can either surrender liscense get info on monitoring program etc. Or you can try to fight. I have known several who have fought. It ends with monitoring program starting as soon as your done fighting. I do not believe you should work while figuring all this out. If you can not get board involved til everything is gone that would be great! Then there would be nothing to report. But at some point if its there you will have to report and the fact that there is any drug involvement, investigation will start, They will pull your prescription hx for three years, see how much you were taking for how long and if Dr. shopping. They will decide if they think you have an issue. If they decide yes which they will, You again can fight but you will not win, because the hx, will be a mile long and you will have to give them an account of who every dr. is and why you saw them. I think what alot of people think is that , well I didnt do this at work, I didnt steal, so it does not involve the board, let me testify that is not true, that would be why you here people saying I got a DUI on vaca why is the board restricting liscense? They judge the problem you have not by what you use, when , why, or where. Its based on the consequences and problems they see. If your driving drunk at all your problem is bad enough to warrant close monitoring. All that to say, if you lie at all on applications, renewal or fail to self report you are dependaent on drugs you may get away with it for a while but the penalty will be greater! So if you wait a year or so and your record will be cleared you can try to get by with it from BON. But if they find out you will be entered into minitoring prog if your state has one. You can hope for best that they never know, so give no reason for them to check. But if they find out and no disclosure you will get fines and start investigation. good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

35 months ago

ktrn77 in Springfield, Illinois said: WOW!!!! I can not believe that there are people as ignorant as you still out there! Addiction is a disease, the same as diabetes or cancer. It is an incurable disease but it can be arrested and RECOVERY IS POSSIBLE. Nurses and physicians are at a higher risk for addiction because of our beliefs in medical treatments, the physical as well as mental requirements of the job. To compare the disease of addiction to robbing a bank is just crazy! It would be like telling someone with diabetes that they couldn't work in a candy store or a sugar factory. I pray that you never have to deal with addiction first hand, either yourself or with a loved one, but you really should learn more about the topic before you begin sharing on it. God Bless

I agree with you as to the ignorance of some people. I wound up with sever knee, back and hip problems along with the stress of working 15 hour days. Went out on disability for 2 months, then returned to work and two months later developed something severe in my lower spine. I went through accupunture, chiropractic and finally pain management. Had 6 epidurals and my doctor was prescribing 180 vicodins every 3 weeks. Long story short, I coudn't get off of them. Two rehabs later and now on Suboxone for almost three years. Trying to get off that because I WANT TO BE DONE. The public seems to think that "oh, well you're around drugs all the time" To become addicted due to diversion, you'd have to be in the narcs cabinet every day taking massive amounts of drugs. My counselor in treatment said the reason RNs and MDs have the highest rates of addiction is because of the stress of the job...not access to the narcs cabinet. Nursing is a physical, mental and emotionally abusive job. They also have the highest rates of depre ssion... gee, wonder why. I've been out of work since April (I quit), couldn't take it anymore. The public needs to do more research. Nursing is not an easy jo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

35 months ago

Heidiful in Centereach, New York said: I agree with you as to the ignorance of some people. I wound up with sever knee, back and hip problems along with the stress of working 15 hour days. Went out on disability for 2 months, then returned to work and two months later developed something severe in my lower spine. I went through accupunture, chiropractic and finally pain management. Had 6 epidurals and my doctor was prescribing 180 vicodins every 3 weeks. Long story short, I coudn't get off of them. Two rehabs later and now on Suboxone for almost three years. Trying to get off that because I WANT TO BE DONE. The public seems to think that "oh, well you're around drugs all the time" To become addicted due to diversion, you'd have to be in the narcs cabinet every day taking massive amounts of drugs. My counselor in treatment said the reason RNs and MDs have the highest rates of addiction is because of the stress of the job...not access to the narcs cabinet. Nursing is a physical, mental and emotionally abusive job. They also have the highest rates of depre ssion... gee, wonder why. I've been out of work since April (I quit), couldn't take it anymore. The public needs to do more research. Nursing is not an easy jo

Continuing what I was saying, shame on nurses who are supposed to be compassionate. Addiction IS A DISEASE. Would love to write a book about it. Prescription drug abuse doesn't only afflict nurses...it affects housewives, kids, elderly. You don't become an addict by choice. The ignorance of some people....so true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

35 months ago

To show your stupidity, I've done extensive research. As a matter of fact, I don't believe in the 12 steps AT ALL...It's a defect of character. I've met with addiction specialists and if you know anything about depression (which I assume you don't) it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. How come some people become addicted and some don't? Just like how come people who smoke get cancer and some don't? It is a disease and don't give me this holier than thous bullchit because I've been to Christian Churches and 50% of the people I've met are all RECOVERING ADDICTS, ALCOHOLICS. It's not something you do by choice. My 70 year old neighbor who suffers from many ailments was on oxycontin, fentanyl, percocet...she had to go to the hospital to get weaned off this stuff. She couldn't put two sentences together and made comments "don't take my pills from me". She's an addict. It's genetics. And again, I am not in to 12 steps at all...I don't believe..."oh this happened in my life and I had to drink, etc." I broke my back sweetheart and had numerous surgeries FYI. Tell me you wouldn't be in pain after that you ignorant moron!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

35 months ago

anamcara517 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Wow!! Back at you Raleigh!! I seriously don't even know where to begin regarding your highly judgemental,self rightous,grossly uninformed comment...seriously??!!News flash,addiction[to anything]is a DISEASE,similar to heart disease,diabetes,AIDS[remember the "gay disease"]it is deserving of TREATMENT just like ANY other medical condition.The DISEASE of drug/alcohol addiction does NOT discriminate,it is an equal opportunity disease,any 1 even YOU could sucuumb.Nurses' still in ACTIVE addiction most certainly put themselves and the public at risk when they practice while under the influence of drugs/alcohol and all would agree they should not be allowed to work in nursing until they have been treated and are in solid recovery.That is why almost every state has a monitoring program,it is their job to monitor recovering nurses,and trust me monitor you they do!If a nurse became diabetic but is now stable with dietary restricitions,Insulin and daily monitoring of blood sugars should this nurse not be allowed to EVER work as a nurse again??!!Then why is it if an addicted nurse gets rehab,practices a life rooted in recovery,is being monitored for compliance by the state why should this nurse be denied working in the very profession she probably has dedicated a large part of her/his life to??Very sad,frankly unbelievable,folks like you are actually out there.I will pray for you.

I know this is old, but I just left a comment for some freak in Alabama who apparently doesn't understand addiction. Seems all those Bible Belt freaks are the first ones to judge. Read my comment (if you dare). I'm on the same page as you. People are so judgmental when it comes to addiction, yet ignorant and don't understand. What they don't understand is that NOBODY SETS OUT TO BECOME AN ADDICT. But you can't fix stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

I am amazed at this string of comments. When I was in nursing school one of our instructors said "nurses eat their young". And that is so evident after reading the judgemental comments left on here and by the lack of help/assistance that people have asked for. We should help one another not be the judge, jury, and executioner to others that are already down.

As for my personal plea for information was answered by someone who is so old and out of touch with what is the current state of nursing. As an update, my case was thrown out by the judge after a suppression hearing showed malfescence by the police who put so much in the case that had nothing to do with the charge. After I fired an attorney and hired one who knew what had to be done.

As for those that want to argue that dependance on a controlled substance is an addiction-well, I hope that you never get an ailgment where you would need a controlled substance to function daily. If you are placed on a daily blood pressure medication to control your HBP, are you now an addict on that med? What about cholesterol medication, are you an addict because you need it everyday? The answer is obviously no because we are treating the underlying cause. Just as controlled substances are. Its obvious that some old and outdated nurses need to get out from behind magazine stories and get back to floor nursing and see what current bedside nursing is today

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

35 months ago

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas said: I am amazed at this string of comments. When I was in nursing school one of our instructors said "nurses eat their young". And that is so evident after reading the judgemental comments left on here and by the lack of help/assistance that people have asked for. We should help one another not be the judge, jury, and executioner to others that are already down.

As for my personal plea for information was answered by someone who is so old and out of touch with what is the current state of nursing. As an update, my case was thrown out by the judge after a suppression hearing showed malfescence by the police who put so much in the case that had nothing to do with the charge. After I fired an attorney and hired one who knew what had to be done.

As for those that want to argue that dependance on a controlled substance is an addiction-well, I hope that you never get an ailgment where you would need a controlled substance to function daily. If you are placed on a daily blood pressure medication to control your HBP, are you now an addict on that med? What about cholesterol medication, are you an addict because you need it everyday? The answer is obviously no because we are treating the underlying cause. Just as controlled substances are. Its obvious that some old and outdated nurses need to get out from behind magazine stories and get back to floor nursing and see what current bedside nursing is today

ResQRangR...All I can say is "thank you" for your reply. We are supposed to be in a helping profession, and I understand what it's like to need a drug just to function. The sad part is that nurses who have never been through what we've been through are so quick to report, quick to judge...it's a shame. I remember the days when a patient would come in and yes I would say "he's just drug seeking". I will never say that again having been there and hearing of nurses denying patients pain meds...who are they to decide what kin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

35 months ago

Heidiful in Centereach, New York said: ResQRangR...All I can say is "thank you" for your reply. We are supposed to be in a helping profession, and I understand what it's like to need a drug just to function. The sad part is that nurses who have never been through what we've been through are so quick to report, quick to judge...it's a shame. I remember the days when a patient would come in and yes I would say "he's just drug seeking". I will never say that again having been there and hearing of nurses denying patients pain meds...who are they to decide what kin

cont....kind of pain a patient is in. I was taught if a patient says they're in pain, it's not for you to decide what their pain level is. These old school nurses need to be put on a morphine drip for a month and then have it stopped abruptly (I know that sounds cruel), but maybe their opinions would change on "addicted nurses". It's a disease like any other. And to any idiot reading this, narcotics cause an imbalance in brain chemistry, preventing your opiate receptors from producing endorphins, thus causing dependence because the brain is getting it from a synthetic source. I'll say it again and again...NOBODY SETS OUT TO BECOME ADDICTED to you judgmental (so called "caring"? nurses).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Lafayette, Louisiana

35 months ago

IISONU in New Orleans, Louisiana said: Continued:

When I last checked, nurses do not, or rather should not posses these characteristics. Where is our compassion? I can truly understand repercussions if a nurse harmed a patient due to his/her non-cognitive state, but everyone should not be punished the same contingent upon their circumstances.

So, where do we go from here? I will connect with those of you who extend their personal emails. I am ready to turn these matters around for us as caregivers and fight the good fight!

To those who doubt and are non-believers, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST JESUS, THE ONE WHO GIVES US STRENGHT TO ENDURE UNTIL THE END! DON’T GIVE UP!!!

AMEN!! I agree wholeheartedly!! You and I should definitely talk. I am a nurse in Lafayette, LA. Email me please at lynnT6904@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Lafayette, Louisiana

35 months ago

anamcara517 said: Helen,
Hi there,I have an interesting article I would like to share with you regarding Appeals/right to hearing etc...email me directly if interested.....patriciaboyle17@yahoo.com Warmly, Pat

Dear anamcara517,

You are truly a blessing. Your words and caring are much felt on these pages. I personally wanted to say that I have been reading these posts for a few hours now and I am totally amazed at the heart of a true nurse. Your difficulty with the BON has brought you to this place of helping others. I, too, was trampled on by the BON, and am currently looking to appeal. I was innocent of any wrongdoing and even proved not in the NPA. They took me all the way to a hearing because I wouldn't give in and admit to something I didn't do. We'll see how it goes. But also I have made it a mission, like you, to help others and work toward finding out how we can get some administrative laws changed governing BONs. Anyway, I am also interested in the info you have on appeals. Could you email me please at lynnT6904@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Greensboro, North Carolina

35 months ago

ResQRangR in Dallas, Texas said: I am amazed at this string of comments. When I was in nursing school one of our instructors said "nurses eat their young". And that is so evident after reading the judgemental comments left on here and by the lack of help/assistance that people have asked for. We should help one another not be the judge, jury, and executioner to others that are already down.

As for my personal plea for information was answered by someone who is so old and out of touch with what is the current state of nursing. As an update, my case was thrown out by the judge after a suppression hearing showed malfescence by the police who put so much in the case that had nothing to do with the charge. After I fired an attorney and hired one who knew what had to be done.

As for those that want to argue that dependance on a controlled substance is an addiction-well, I hope that you never get an ailgment where you would need a controlled substance to function daily. If you are placed on a daily blood pressure medication to control your HBP, are you now an addict on that med? What about cholesterol medication, are you an addict because you need it everyday? The answer is obviously no because we are treating the underlying cause. Just as controlled substances are. Its obvious that some old and outdated nurses need to get out from behind magazine stories and get back to floor nursing and see what current bedside nursing is today

I think I was the only one who responded to you, not sure. So if not then you can ignore everything that follows. Wow old and out of touch really? I was trying to be helpful. I didnt realize you wanted someone to lie to you and tell you dont worry honey it will be ok! I thought you wanted to know about the experiance of others who went through a similar situation. Im sorry you dont care for the investigation tactics of the BON and how they operate but I would suggest you learn them. cont

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.