THE CON of BEING AN RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1651 to 1700 of 2400)
Page:  « First « Previous   31  32  33  34  35  36  37  Next »   Last »

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

38 months ago

Unless you're working on your BSN, which right now is starting to become the minimum requirement. You're fortunate enough to have another profession to fall back on. I'm looking to relocate to N.C. (as everyone in NY is moving down there due to the hight cost of living here). If you're near completion of your nursing degree, don't quit. With an accounting degree and an RN, you could be very marketable. Not necessarily in the hospitals, but in other business/medical related fields. If I go back to school, my plan is to go for a degree in business or even liberal arts. Years ago, I was working at a hospital which started this BSN only hiring phase and guess what....they couldn't get any nurses. So, they lifted it, started hiring new grads and now, 15 years later, they're back to the BSN only nurses. So a nurse, like myself with 18 years of experience, is not considered over a new graduate, (but with a Bachelor's degree). In the meantime, I have another degree and the "bachelor's portion" of a BSN program is nothing but two more years of liberal arts classes. I even had more clinical time in a ADN program over some of my co-workers who graduated from very expensive 4 year BSN programs. I worked with nurses who had never even put a patient on a bedpan in nursing school. How they managed that, I'll never know. Years ago the best nurses came from Diploma schools where the nurses were on the floor 7 days a week and got hands on training from the getgo. Then they decided nurses should be "educated", as if they were stupid. Now, these nurses working at these hospitals who are looking to retire soon are required to go back to school and get a BSN when they've worked 40 years without one. To me, it's just a way of weeding out nurses when they're receiving an over abundance of applicants they don't have jobs for. I can't foresee this BSN requirement lasting. If there were a TRUE nursing shortage, hospitals wouldn't be requiring a BSN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Candy in East Peoria, Illinois

38 months ago

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: So, the truth is stop doing nursing. It is not worth it. I should stay in my accounting job that I hate!Is there any job in the medical field that is hiring? Does anyone know if they are hiring nurses in NC? Should I just quite school and not quite my job?

I don't know of any health field that has a a true shortage right now other than family practice docs, and even then that's only because so many MD/DOs go into more lucrative specialties. Don't quit your job just yet. We're not out of the woods with this recession/medical reorganization going on in this country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

It seems as if, because of the economy, everyone wants to jumpt into Nursing thinking "there's always a need for nurses". Not true. I agree with Candy when she says don't quit your job. I was at a job in home care and got to the point, the family AND the agency drove me out of there because they knew I was aware of fraud going on, so they started making my life miserable. I couldn't take it anymore...and 8 months later still cannot get a job in my state, anyway. Nursing, despite what they say, IS NOT recession proof. Hospitals are businesses like any other and when they need to cut back, it's the nurses that are the first to go. Don't quit your job. There's a reason for this forum "The Cons of Being an RN". It's not all a bed of roses by any means (I'm talking about Nursing)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

38 months ago

100% agree with Heidiful that it seems everyone considers nursing because of the economy. However, nursing shortages are getting worse and worse. This is the case with many professions, grad school programs, etc. Ya, the world always needs nurses but that doesn't mean there are constantly jobs available for them. It is hard in the economy - do not become a nurse if you are only taking that route because you think you will be able to find a job easily. You should only do nursing if you have seriously considered it for a long time and truly know you will enjoy what you do. It is nothing close to a cake walk.

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

I'm glad I came across this post before investing money into a nursing program. It confirms what I suspected - there isn't a nursing shortage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina

38 months ago

That just sucks! I have been waiting to be an RN since I was 8 and I have been taking a class here and there since 2007. I guess I will try something else. I do not know what! I do not have an accounting degree. I just been doing it since I was 19. What do you know about ultra sound or radiology? Or should I get a different degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I know nurses who are RNs AND respiratory therapists or radiologic techs...and guess what..they don't work as RNs. They settled for a couple dollars less per hour and decided to work as resp. therapists or rad techs. The reason being, when I asked them, is that they make a little less money but don't have half the stress and responsibility that nurses do. I've worked in cath lab, so I know quite a few Rad techs and they all have a FT job, plus a per diem or part time job. I've even thought about it myself. I don't know what the job market is, but I never heard any of them complain, they all liked their jobs. It's not "dirty" work. You can work in hospitals, free standing MRI, CT scan centers, work part time doing x-rays, work for a radiologist. I met a rad tech this summer while renewing my ACLS and she became an RN and couldn't find a job. At least she had the Rad Tech job to fall back on. I would consider it. As far as ultrasound, I see too many ads on TV and just from going to the doctor and having ultrasounds, I've met so many that are going to ultrasound school. I know a guy who was an engineer with my Dad and years ago became an ultrasound tech only to find NO job whatsoever when he finished. It's only a one year program and another area where people think "Oh, I'll be an ultrasound tech in one year" along with thousands of others. I would put the time in to Radiology before ultrasound. You'll have more opportunities than an ultrasound tech. Like I said, I worked cardiac cath (and interventional radiology) and never heard the techs complain like the nurses. They all seem to like it. Nurses get the blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong in the hospital...if there's a spill, call the nurse...garbage is overflowing, the nurse has to empty it because housekeeping is no where to be found...there's just too much bs that goes along with nursing that's not even nursing related. I say become a rad tech and then you can even specialize and become a CV tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Heidiful in Centereach, New York said: It seems as if, because of the economy, everyone wants to jumpt into Nursing thinking "there's always a need for nurses". Not true. I agree with Candy when she says don't quit your job. I was at a job in home care and got to the point, the family AND the agency drove me out of there because they knew I was aware of fraud going on, so they started making my life miserable. I couldn't take it anymore...and 8 months later still cannot get a job in my state, anyway. Nursing, despite what they say, IS NOT recession proof. Hospitals are businesses like any other and when they need to cut back, it's the nurses that are the first to go. Don't quit your job. There's a reason for this forum "The Cons of Being an RN". It's not all a bed of roses by any means (I'm talking about Nursing)

Nurses or future nurses; go do a GOOGLE search about what else is coming down the pike. ROBOTS to take the place of nurse. Called NURSEBOTS. Toyota and another corporation already has them functioning. It seems like it is another huge auto corporation. Not only functioning in the OR but to turn pts. Some places are using them to monitor seniors for homecare. Go look it up. There are more than one way to severely decrease the numbers of nurses needed! I'm not trying to be paranoid, I'm getting closer to the end of my career (not close enough) but for you younger nurses it will affect your longevity of your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: That just sucks! I have been waiting to be an RN since I was 8 and I have been taking a class here and there since 2007. I guess I will try something else. I do not know what! I do not have an accounting degree. I just been doing it since I was 19. What do you know about ultra sound or radiology? Or should I get a different degree?

I would look at ultrasound, radiology often same field. Or Occupational Therapy, Physical or Speech Therapy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pete's Sake

38 months ago

If you don't believe in conspiracy theories, read no further. There is a contrived shortage. It is the excuse that hospitals(and LTF's) give for working you
Like a dog. (Pardon the punctuation, my phone) I started in nursing making 4.20 an hour the climb to 25 an hour took 15 years but it happened suddenly. in the late 80's when agencies stole disgruntled nurses away from the hospitals and offered them more money and the ability to make their own schedule. Hospitals that abused their employees couldn't get agency nurses to come back. They had a crisis on their hands. They grudgingly increased staff but began to plot. Who the hell were these nurses taking so much of their healthcare dollars?But...*agencies also were plotting too! Those damn MBA's have ruined this country. Once the had the market they began to nickle and dime the nurses. Sandwiched between competing forces, nurses lost...there is a real glut of nurses outside the hospital (and nursing homes, all those conglomerate corporations) the places where nurses fled, so there is an excess of available nurses and and less and less jobs. I got so desperate I applied for an LPN clinic job. I was in competition with 202 nurses...12 with doctorates, 37 with masters... The large hospital corps are HAPPY to see all the old nurses go...somehow they were forced to raise their salaries across the country and now they are stuck. There is only onee solution. Start over with a new batch of nurses who have lower expectations regarding salary and conditions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Health Worker in Rushville, Illinois

38 months ago

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona said: I would look at ultrasound, radiology often same field. Or Occupational Therapy, Physical or Speech Therapy.

Do a search on here for all those jobs and you'll find much the same thing as in this thread. Radiology was the in thing to do 10-15 years ago with good salaries even for new grads. Now the market is flooded with people just as in nursing. Physical Therapy requires grad school and is highly competitive to get into unless you're ok with being a PT Aide.

Toby in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

I am going to jump right in here and tell you to continue your schooling for nursing. I have been an RN, BSN for close to 25 years. Plan on retiring in about 4 more years. I just watched my daughter graduate and got a job FAST. Nursing IS a stable career, I don't care WHAT some of these other naysayers have to discuss. Certain places might have some problems. I also think personalities of certain nurses makes it difficult for them to work in this field. Maybe they have issues getting along with others, maybe they are unable to stand up for themselves. Who knows what issues they might have. If you have wanted to be an RN since you were 8 years old..DO IT...you will NOT be sorry. I still say you can always get a job someplace and will always be working. I have NEVER been out of work a day in my life since getting my RN. Depends I guess it depends on how picky you might be and what specialty you are willing to venture into. GET your nursing degree. I am so glad my daughter followed me into this field. Don't listen to everything you read on this forum. Some nurses are disgruntled and yes, there are alot of nurses brought here from the Philipines....but I say again...You can always find something in nursing....Good luck to you and STAY in school. Our profession needs nurses like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Toby in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

I am going to jump right in here and tell you to continue your schooling for nursing. I have been an RN, BSN for close to 25 years. Plan on retiring in about 4 more years. I just watched my daughter graduate and got a job FAST. Nursing IS a stable career, I don't care WHAT some of these other naysayers have to discuss. Certain places might have some problems. I also think personalities of certain nurses makes it difficult for them to work in this field. Maybe they have issues getting along with others, maybe they are unable to stand up for themselves. Who knows what issues they might have. If you have wanted to be an RN since you were 8 years old..DO IT...you will NOT be sorry. I still say you can always get a job someplace and will always be working. I have NEVER been out of work a day in my life since getting my RN. Depends I guess it depends on how picky you might be and what specialty you are willing to venture into. GET your nursing degree. I am so glad my daughter followed me into this field. Don't listen to everything you read on this forum. Some nurses are disgruntled and yes, there are alot of nurses brought here from the Philipines....but I say again...You can always find something in nursing....Good luck to you and STAY in school. Our profession needs nurses like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

I agree with the U.Sound. In my area I know people that have gotten specialized and done well. You are right, P.T. has required a higher degree for quite some time now. Occupational Therapy is another one. However, the people I know are well compensated and happy with their careers. At least the ones I know. Nothing will ever suck as much as nursing. Why? Because what job does the person have that 24/7 once you get report where you are completely tethered to the patient and responsible for every little thing that happens to them?

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Toby in Los Angeles, California said: I am going to jump right in here and tell you to continue your schooling for nursing. I have been an RN, BSN for close to 25 years. Plan on retiring in about 4 more years. I just watched my daughter graduate and got a job FAST. Nursing IS a stable career, I don't care WHAT some of these other naysayers have to discuss. Certain places might have some problems. I also think personalities of certain nurses makes it difficult for them to work in this field. Maybe they have issues getting along with others, maybe they are unable to stand up for themselves. Who knows what issues they might have. If you have wanted to be an RN since you were 8 years old..DO IT...you will NOT be sorry. I still say you can always get a job someplace and will always be working. I have NEVER been out of work a day in my life since getting my RN. Depends I guess it depends on how picky you might be and what specialty you are willing to venture into. GET your nursing degree. I am so glad my daughter followed me into this field. Don't listen to everything you read on this forum. Some nurses are disgruntled and yes, there are alot of nurses brought here from the Philipines....but I say again...You can always find something in nursing....Good luck to you and STAY in school. Our profession needs nurses like you.

Do it with your eyes open! I know so many darn good experienced highly educated nurses with years of solid experiences unable to secure even a part-time job. They feel lucky if they find a pool position in their specialty. So, keep your eyes open. Also if you have any tendency to have any codepency issues, work on that first. I've been lucky to always pretty much been able to find work. Now..............that does NOT mean the places I have worked were the best places NOR did they treat the staff, physicians or even the patients well. Like I have stated before: MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING. I know of what I speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

38 months ago

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: That just sucks! I have been waiting to be an RN since I was 8 and I have been taking a class here and there since 2007. I guess I will try something else. I do not know what! I do not have an accounting degree. I just been doing it since I was 19. What do you know about ultra sound or radiology? Or should I get a different degree?

The great thing about this thread is the honesty presented. There are too many people being misled into the nursing profession by being told nursing is recession proof and jobs are plentiful. My goal is not to kill your dream of becoming a nurse, but rather to provide the truth. It's better to know what you're getting into then to go in blindly.

As I stated before, the job market in Los Angeles is much better than in other areas of California,but overall nursing jobs are hard to find if they weren't you would be finding posters telling you how easy it is and where there are jobs. Toby in Los Angeles please post the hospitals, LTC's in your area that are hiring new grads and ADN's. How many positions are open?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

acscls123 in Aberdeen, North Carolina

38 months ago

Do you know anything about the job market for OT's or PT's?

38 months ago

Read the reply by Toby in Los Angeles. It seems that all the L.A. nurses think nursing is so wonderful, why, because they have laws protecting their nurses as well as a very populated and large state, so of course there are going to be needs out there. They staff their hospitals, so of course there will be a need and less employed nurses. This girl is writing from N.C. Let me know your thoughts on that post. He talks about all the "naysayers" on this forum...."hello, it's called the "cons of nursing". And I will be replying to his post. I just feel I'm on the same page as you Suki, so I thought you might want to read it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rachana shah in San Antonio, Texas

38 months ago

Hi....everyone
I would like to know about nursing program..i m from india and i did my bechlore of commerce in india now i come with my husband and i m on h4 visa .Now i m planning to start study..but i have some questions regarding nursing field...is there any basic program regarding to start nursing school?becouse before i was some different field which commerce so is it possible that i will study my nursing?and is there any requirements for international students?plz help me guys .........thanx.and let me know as soon as poss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

acscls123 in Aberdeen, North Carolina said: Do you know anything about the job market for OT's or PT's?

I know personally a few OT's and PT's and they make far more money than nurses. They are very happy and the ones that specialize have autonomy. Especially with Sports Medicine and Hand. They like what they do. I think mainly because they can do it independently not under nursing and not tethered to a patient 24/7.

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina

38 months ago

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona said: I know personally a few OT's and PT's and they make far more money than nurses. They are very happy and the ones that specialize have autonomy. Especially with Sports Medicine and Hand. They like what they do. I think mainly because they can do it independently not under nursing and not tethered to a patient 24/7.

But it is as hard to jobs as PT or OT as it is nursing?

38 months ago

Debbie, I'm glad you said it. I wanted to reply, but thought I'd be kicked off this site. You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sick of hospitals taking in nurses from foreign countries and there are nurses here that are more than qualified who haven't been trained in filthy, disgusting conditions that need jobs. I worked with Indian nurses who used to use the bathroom with the door open, wouldn't use gloves when toughing a man's private parts and then dig in her pockets to hand me the narcs keys. I would say "that's disgusting....you didn't even wash your hands" Just disgusting and gross. This was years ago, but I remember giving report and going home smelling like curry. Use perfume, better yet...shower. Nice people, just filthy living habits....not good for nursing OR ANYONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Destinys destiny in Jacksonville, Alabama

38 months ago

I am so thankful to find this forum. I currently have a B.S in psychology and I too have been thinking about pursuing the nursing profession. I like the fact that no one here is trying to sugarcoat anything. Keep going with your comments I am thankful to read them.

Jim6745 in Cleveland, Ohio

38 months ago

Hmm. lots of catty bitterness and entitlement going on in this thread. To everyone, If you want to be an RN, be an RN. Doesn't matter if you're foreign, black, white, yellow, male or a mixture. I would definitely recommend anyone thinking about going into nursing to shadow a nurse, and witness first-hand what their day entails. The job market is not the best, but alot better than other fields, but honestly, don't into nursing just for the money. Yes nursing is stressful, and you will have bad days, but if you're interested in the field, and putting your needs aside at times for others, go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Jim,
How does someone "shadow a nurse and witness first-hand what their day entails?" I don't know any agency or hospital that would allow a lay person to do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim6745 in Cleveland, Ohio

38 months ago

RN in Modesto, California said: Jim,
How does someone "shadow a nurse and witness first-hand what their day entails?" I don't know any agency or hospital that would allow a lay person to do that.

Some agencies in my area do offer that option. You have to ask and set up an appointment/day. Also, becoming a CNA first might be best for the skeptics

38 months ago

That option doesn't exist in my area. Please anyone who is considering nursing should read the New graduate nurse thread on this site.

Suki in Scottsdale, Arizona

38 months ago

I've never ever heard of a lay person just walking and following a nurse in any hospital. I can't imagine any patient or family allowing that or any hospital setting themselves up for that either. With HIPPA and such privacy issues today? Sounds unlikely to happen. I can't imagine having someone having access to watch or even be privy to my personal info or watching me having a procedure either as a patient. Sounds too stalkerish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I've never heard of a shadow nurse program either, but I did find this one while searching. It's not like you can just pick up the phone and schedule to shadow and like I posted prior it's not available in my area.

Nurse Shadow Program

Participants of the Shadow a Nurse Program are required to be enrolled in an accredited nursing program, in their senior year of high school, or former nurses returning to the nursing profession. The shadowing experience allows for observation only. Each shadower must be approved by the Shadow a Nurse Coordinator and are limited to a maximum of 12 shadowing hours.

Contact the Nurse Recruiters Office thirty (30) days prior to the anticipated shadowing experience

Complete the Shadow a Nurse Program Application
Complete the Release and Waiver of Liability
Complete the Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Statement
Submit a reference from an instructor\advisor\counselor\mentor
Receive and wear a visitor ID badge
Complete the Evaluation Form at the end of the experience

38 months ago

Destinys destiny in Jacksonville, Alabama said: I am so thankful to find this forum. I currently have a B.S in psychology and I too have been thinking about pursuing the nursing profession. I like the fact that no one here is trying to sugarcoat anything. Keep going with your comments I am thankful to read them.

If you have a degree in psychology, you don't need to go to nursing school. There are so many unhappy, miserable nurses out there that you can open up a private practice and be a therapist to so many screwed up nurses. Actually, you could work in a hospital's EOP center.
I worked in a psychiatric center about 5 years ago and left after 6 weeks, only because it wasn't for me. AND, part of my orientation was having the EOP director speak to all of us and explain how it works. I was impressed because she told all of the orientees "ifyou're having any issues in your personal life, problems with people at work, financial difficulties, my office is in building 25". I was having some personal problems as well as financial, so I met with her and she went out of her way to help me. EVEN after I resigned, she still called me to see how I was doing. (It was like free therapy...lol) I'm not sure if she was a psychologist or a social worker, but I will say she was more compassionate than any nurse I've ever worked with. It was comforting to know I could just go to her office and talk. She had a lot of resources for me to get help and really took her time to listen.
Unless you are unhappy in psychology, I would only suggest going for your ADN, because having a degree in Psychology and having RN behind your name, you could make a nice career for yourself. My Dad always used to say "nurses turn into truck drivers after a while and they have the most foul mouths". We are exposed to and see some of the worst things in life and after a couple of years as a nurse, you start to become "hardened". I met his guy in a gas station after work one night

38 months ago

Jim6745 in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hmm. lots of catty bitterness and entitlement going on in this thread. To everyone, If you want to be an RN, be an RN. Doesn't matter if you're foreign, black, white, yellow, male or a mixture. I would definitely recommend anyone thinking about going into nursing to shadow a nurse, and witness first-hand what their day entails. The job market is not the best, but alot better than other fields, but honestly, don't into nursing just for the money. Yes nursing is stressful, and you will have bad days, but if you're interested in the field, and putting your needs aside at times for others, go for it.

Two issues with this comment: #1..You speak of "catty bitterness...This forum is called THE "CONS" of being an RN, therefore nurses are writing to tell the truth about nursing based on their own experiences and not sugar coating it. #2 I am NOT A FEMINIST OR A FEMINAZI, but I will enlighten you to some factual information. It's been proven that male nurses are treated with more respect and dignity than female nurses and nursing is a predominantly female profession. I've worked in a 19 bed SICU and there were quite a few male nurses there. (I actually dated one of them). He's passed away so I will not say anything bad about his character...he was a wonderful person, HOWEVER, when I worked with him in the neuro stepdown unit where there were four patients, the doctors would come and do rounds and we had to be prepared to be "drilled" with questions about the patients. Whenever I spoke about the status of MY patients, the intensivists would direct all of the questions to HIM. Then working in the SICU and the cardiac cath lab, where there was a very lg. male nurse population, the patients would say "that doctor is such a nice man" HA! I used to say "that doctor isn't a doctor, he's a nurse". One male nurse was precepting a new grad and told her "I think your patient needs more pain meds and this girl was brand new.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pete Sake in New York, New York

38 months ago

Since I work for agencies and per-deim I get a chance to view the profession from more than one place and perspective. The reason I like to work this way is that I get the opportunity to see what is entailed in the job before I invest a lot of heart. They have the option of not keeping me, but I also have the option of deciding I don't want to stay.......I have a position which is part time/perdeim that I absolutely love and am hoping for a spot to open full time. Meanwhile, I have to fill in with other jobs....so......here goes my story........Just this week, I filled in at a facility that let's say does an invasive procedure. Basically, I went to do 2 days of orientation with the promise of per-deim full time (no guarantee and no bennies).
The first day, I kept an open mind (as best as I could), but I had to calculate what was going on and whether or not it seemed safe and do-able....it was pretty busy and chaotic, (at least for me) but I was shadowing, basically being a third wheel.....no lunch (I shoved down some food in 10 minutes) We had about 14 patients from 2 physicians for the day.......whew. I was informed by my co-workers that usually lunch isn't had until AFTER the shift, staying the 1/2 hour before locking up. Time and a half is not allowed because everyone is per-deim. On the second day of my 2 day orientation, I began to see the telltale signs.... I was told that though the paperwork shows that you check the patient every 15 min x 3 (45 min) before releasing them, that there is no way they can get all the patients done if they keep everyone 15 minutes....hmmmm. "So what do you do", I asked? "If they are alert coming out of anesthesia they can go in like 15 minutes" But...I said,"how do you chart it when the paperwork requests the vital signs and the time they were done prior to release?" They were vague! I pressed on..."do you know that if you falsify the time you did the VS, you are legally liable if something goes wrong?" (to be continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pete Sake in New York, New York

38 months ago

"Well, there is NO WAY you can do every patient if you keep everyone for 45 minutes".....I replied, "then that is an administrative problem that needs to be addressed. They need to address the situation if it is not do-able, but to cheat on the paperwork is to put your license and the lives of patients in jeopardy. They, the administration, are clear of any wrong doing because they gave you the paperwork that shows what they want. Their legal dept has told them this is what is required. If you take it upon yourselves to cut corners because there isn't enough time, you are taking all the risk yourselves. They are a money making company. Why would you risk your license because they don't assign enough people to do the job?".......I saw the eyes roll.......The reply I got floored me......here it is.." I have to use my judgement, if the patient seems fully recovered, then I decide to let him go early. If I worried about legal ramifications in this profession, I would never work anywhere....it comes with the territory.....you just have to take your chances". I replied, "so you are OK with falsifying the paperwork?"
She replied, "they end up here 45 minutes anyway" (backtracking).....
Her next question was, "Do you think you are ready to take over (the exiting nurse's) job tomorrow? Tomorrow we will have 23 patients".....I said, "If there were 3 of us for the past 2 days with 11 and 14 patients respectively, and we didn't get lunch and no one was slacking ( I was just an onlooker anyway although I did many V/S and eval's and stretcher cleanings) how the hell do 2 people do 23 patients?" "We don't keep them the full 45 minutes if they are alert and we bust balls"
I have always contended that THESE are the nurses that are killing us....when a situation is not safe, administration needs to address the problem instead of nurses taking shortcuts and risking their and our licenses.........needless to say, although I need the money, I did not go back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Scottsdale, Arizona

38 months ago

Oh Pete Sake, you said it! I so know what you are talking about. Others not in nursing or in the area of nursing possibly have no idea. But I totally get it. If you are the one to step up and speak up (actually advocate for the patient and the nursing care) you are generally called the TROUBLEMAKER, NEGATIVE, ETC ETC) Nurses are asked or demanded to perform a job that is impossible to do in the time constraints they give us. He is not even talking about lack of supplies or equipment not functioning. Let alone pt's needing to go potty or vomit, wet the bed (you catch my drift). The codependent, bully ready to chomp down on any other nurse that dares stand up to administration for the patients or the actual way nursing is meant to be drive ME NUTS! You can spot them easily. They are the ones rolling their eyes, making fun of the other nurses, never refuting or questioning management on anything, lying on charting, making fun of nurses that actually TREAT pts with kindness. They are the ones that are screwed up! Administration and management love them. Because they know they are STUPID enough to do the idiotic things they want them to do. They also don't realize when they are like sitting ducks in the State Board of Nursing hearings the Administrators or Managers will NOT be there saying "hey I got your back!" You are on your own! Even if they were, the BON doesn't care, they do what they want with you nurse and your license. You are nothing, they say NEXT! What is wrong with these people? I say they need to work on their personal issues before going into nursing. Such as CODEPENDENCEY. We all have issues, especially nurses. I sought counseling many years ago, was the best thing I ever did for my personal and professional life. Please people do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Pete Sake in New York, New York said:
I have always contended that THESE are the nurses that are killing us....when a situation is not safe, administration needs to address the problem instead of nurses taking shortcuts and risking their and our licenses.QUOTE]

These are the nurses that are killing us. Unfortunately, what I see is a lot of fearful nurses who are so afraid of losing their jobs they jeopardize their licenses. They fear being blacklisted and also don't see how these actions can cause them to lose their jobs and licenses if it harms the patient. They always think it will happen to some other nurse not themselves so, they continue to take their chances and management loves them for it.

momRN in Lander, Wyoming

38 months ago

A few posts ago, someone said 'if u want to be an RN go for it, even if the job market isn't the best.' Then there was the post from the mom with the infant who worked and went to school and breastfed.... who said if she can do it anyone can, and then someone said to her 'at least someone is sticking up for nursing.' I DISAGREE.

Well IMHO, these nurses on this forum who actually attempt to tell the truth about the profession, instead of telling the 'pre nurses' just what they want to hear deserve a pat on the back.

Just recently I tried to warn a lady who is attempting to get into nsg school what is going on with the job market, ect and she seemed to become angry with me. Honestly, I did not like how I was treated as a new graduate RN 7 years ago, but at that time I was easily able to get a job. Honestly I'm trying to help.

Only because I do not want my fellow nurses to be lied to, chewed up and spit out. taking on unmanageable amounts of debt, do I try to warn people intrested in nursing.

Consider the nursing profession only if 1)You are an above average student and a hands on learner. 2) You are a 'people person' - highly articulate and outgoing. Nursing instructors and hiring mgrs do look for this. You also are going to have to 'network' to get a job. 3) You are able to be flexible for a job - including being able to relocate and work any shift.

I am just trying to save people the heartache of getting into nursing and then it not working out for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

To MomRn, a big pat on your back. You are doing what is right. I am amazed at the amount of grown adults that call themselves professionals in nursing (or healthcare) yet just as soon continue to perpetuate a lie. It is like they are living in denial. Kind of like the abused child that keeps telling everyone how much they love their homelife, with the abusive horrid parents, yet they know deep down things are not right. Or like the wife of the abusive alcoholic that keeps tiptoeing around that pink elephant in the middle of the living room versus facing the reality. Sometimes the truth is too hard to bear. We cannot change what we fail to acknowledge. Keep telling the truth, don't candy coat anything. You done good, don't listen to others telling you otherwise. They see you as spoiling their pretend life, their fantasy world. The truth will set us free. Nursing must change if it is going to get better. But we can't change what we "gloss" over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

Wow, its sad so many are bashing the nursing profession. Been an RN for 25 years here in the Los Angeles area. I just did my taxes today...Almost 121,000 bucks a year. WHAT are you people complaining about? I have NEVER been out of work, NEVER NOT gotten a job I applied to and I have worked at my last job only 3 years..Was NOT hard to get this job. Nursing has provided me a great life and a great lifestyle I enjoy. I know the pitfalls and I know the rewards. I know the way upper management is and how they try to suck the life out of you in the hospital settings. I KNOW...But I got out of the hospitals and found a great job that I love. If you are all complaining about it for goodness sakes go into another profession. To bash it and tell the newbies how horrible it is...Not sure where all of you are from...but in Los Angeles ALL my friends are working and making a great living. Most are no longer in the hospitals or they are in upper management messing with others..I KNOW...how hospital nursing is. Its a dog eat dog world there. I also believe nurses need to stand up and speak their minds. I never had a problem doing it and never will. I also have not had problems with upper management...Start throwing out special words people...Hostile work enviornment, retaliation, you get my drift...Upper manangement WILL leave you alone if they know you won't take their crap. Get a backbone. Its all about the patients and how we do the BEST we can for them no matter the cost. So many nurses just stay quiet. If there is a problem get yourself into upper managment and FIX it. Or get out of the hospitals. LOTS of other jobs out there. Maybe other states have it REALLY bad...but not over here. Stop complaing...Either...S--T or get off the pot people. Nursing is a GREAT profession..even though it has changed over the years..Lots of changes..that is what life is. I know this is the CONS of nursing but OH, so negative. I feel sorry for SO many RN's who are hating their careers..Very sad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Arizona must be a TERRIBLE state to work in. Calif. is NOT like this outside of the hospitals mind you....Hospital nursing will NEVER be what it used to be. Back in the day it was great. Its now all about money. And yes, the RN's are responsible for everything but we do have the staffing ratios out here. Hospitals DO follow them most of the time. We even have an RN to relieve us on breaks...That is all she does..run around the hopsital relieving nurses so the ratios stays legal. I would not like her job...but they have a few nurses like this in the hospitals.

Tracy in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

I have to agree with Christina...I have NO problems working in Los Angeles. I also have friends who are working with no problems. Not too sure about the newbies (new grads). But if you have experience AND a BSN degree you WILL get hired in Los Angeles. Maybe some of you people in San Jose need to continue your schooling and get that BSN and then come on down to Los Angeles. Pay is GREAT and I also have never had a lull in nursing where I did not have a job. I have almost 20 years experience. Hospitals ARE horrible places and I am also out of there working in the private sector. Only ones working in the hospitals are New Grads if they can find a job, and foreign nurses. Most Americans have left the hospitals for greener pastures. Why would we stay there and take the abuse? We wouldn't. My daughter recently graduated from Citrus Community College and I hooked her up at a job...I agree it does help to know people in the field and you need to network. She is going back for her BSN SOON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Arizona is a terrible state to work in! But then again, it is a Right to Work, Republican state. Sorry hate to get political but it is the truth. I have been a nurse forever and worked elsewhere also. I've met nurses that have moved here and can't wait to get the heck out of this state and even take a cut in pay to move away! Breaks? What is that? Of course you must claim you take breaks but you do so at your own risk. Something happens to your patients, your fault. Nurses living and working in LA, count your blessings. I've taken a travel assignment in Calif near LA and I thought I was on vacation! I couldn't believe how nice it was. Unfortunately I own a home here and nothing is selling in Az. It is pretty in the winter and the cost of living is decent. Got to admit that!

Connie in Millville, California

38 months ago

Nursing builds charater, It is hard work. you are abused, but you are loved and appreciated by some of the patients who will remember your kindness for their entire lives. I think about this when the computers are broken, the indgent homeless guy is bossing me around and getting his gormet meal while I am starving because I can't get lunch and water or go pee. You are the one who makes the differance. The soul is satisfied when you safe someones life and for all of the struggle and neglect I have suffered, I know that I had the opportunity to safe someones future, and soften someones loss. We offten speak of how hard the job has become, but I remember 35 years ago asking the nurses if I should go into the profession and they told me them "it is a thankless job" It always will be and more so now that your every action is tracked by someone in another room at a computer. But You have that power that every nurse hopped for in the beginning, The power to stop, a wrong treatment, a missed diagnosis, and to save a life if you are ever so luckly to experience that blessing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

I hate to be the spelling police but if this is how you write up patients charts we are all in trouble, especially if a chart ends up in court. Gourmet, Difference, Hopped ???, Luckly ???, Save NOT safe...you spelled it incorrectly twice. Please learn how to spell proper Enlish. I know we get tired typing on here and DO make spelling errors...BUT, you can also tell when someone just does not know how to spell and it is not a typing error. WOW, and you are an RN???? No wonder they want us all to have BSN degrees.

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

Connie in Millville, California said: Nursing builds charater, It is hard work. you are abused, but you are loved and appreciated by some of the patients who will remember your kindness for their entire lives. I think about this when the computers are broken, the indgent homeless guy is bossing me around and getting his gormet meal while I am starving because I can't get lunch and water or go pee. You are the one who makes the differance. The soul is satisfied when you safe someones life and for all of the struggle and neglect I have suffered, I know that I had the opportunity to safe someones future, and soften someones loss. We offten speak of how hard the job has become, but I remember 35 years ago asking the nurses if I should go into the profession and they told me them "it is a thankless job" It always will be and more so now that your every action is tracked by someone in another room at a computer. But You have that power that every nurse hopped for in the beginning, The power to stop, a wrong treatment, a missed diagnosis, and to save a life if you are ever so luckly to experience that blessing.

Character? No, you are missing the point of this discussion on this forum. I love being a nurse. But nurses are taken advantage of and used by administration today then dismissed by them. Not to mention many nurses are losing their license for the mistakes of the very hospitals they try to work for. I'm not talking about impaired nurses either. Go back and read the forum. I will take care of the sickest neediest patient. But don't expect me to do it with the unyielding constraints placed upon nursing that administrators expect today. IT IS NOT THE PATIENTS OR THE ACTUAL CARE THAT MOST OF US HAVE THE PROBLEM WITH. Let us do our practice as we need to do it. I don't need a knucklehead that is NOT a medical professional telling me how to be a nurse. Or a manager that hasn't spent time doing patient care and has no idea what it is like.

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

To Christina, I do have a backbone. I am extremely assertive. You have no idea what other states are like. So don't go around and tell others they hate their job. Be glad of where you are. It just ain't so in other areas of the country. Many of us try to "tell it like it is" and we are laughed at. We are written up for made up accusations. Yep, totally falsified. We have no union to run to. I will stand up to the Devil. When you are the one and only nurse standing up to administration, management FOR THE PATIENTS time and time again, you are labeled: TROUBLEMAKER. You just don't get it. Count your blessings.

38 months ago

Christina in Los Angeles, California said: Arizona must be a TERRIBLE state to work in. Calif. is NOT like this outside of the hospitals mind you....Hospital nursing will NEVER be what it used to be. Back in the day it was great. Its now all about money. And yes, the RN's are responsible for everything but we do have the staffing ratios out here. Hospitals DO follow them most of the time. We even have an RN to relieve us on breaks...That is all she does..run around the hopsital relieving nurses so the ratios stays legal. I would not like her job...but they have a few nurses like this in the hospitals.

I am from NY and I've worked in AZ. Quite frankly, I thought it was pleasant working out there compared to NY. MED/SURG units, nurses are assigned 8-10 pts. on days, 12-15 on nights. Still paper charting. I worked in ONE cath lab in particular and we did 60-65 cases a day. Although we were scheduled for 13 hr. shifts, THEY ALWAYS TURNED INTO 15, 16 hr. shifts and of course working with MANY nurses that were recruited from other countries (and I think you know where), we didn't have a leg to stand on. This one male nurse and I used to talk and say we have to get a bunch of us together, go to administration and put a stop to this. But like he said, and I quote "it'll never happen because of them". Not even just "them". Nurses are afraid of their jobs and the ones that are afraid of their jobs make it miserable for the rest of us who believe that MAYBE GETTING A BREAK, in 13 hours, would refresh us, and help us to think more clearly. The sick calls....EVERY SINGLE DAY. Some days you'd have 5 nurses call out sick...gee, wonder why. I always find the CA nurses saying "oh, it must be so terrible to work under those conditions, or "I would never work like that". Well, news flash..you have patient ratio laws and other laws that protect you. They just did away with mandatory OT here a year ago!

Robert in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

YES, Suki I do get it. I also would NOT be working where you are if those were the conditions. You say it is all over Arizona...Well then I would be renting out my house and moving to Los Angeles. I would NOT stay at that hospital and take that abuse. If you are labled the troublemaker for standing up for your rights and the rights of the patients and are getting nowhere. I would NOT do it. That would be a choice I would make. And I would not sell my house in Arizona since you would lose much at this time. I would RENT it out and come over here and rent something in Los Angeles. I would also get OUT of the hospital setting. That is where it is the worst. I have been labled a troublemaker but in Los Angeles almost EVERY hospital has a Union. Lots of nurses balked at this Union forming at my last hospital setting but boy, are they glad now. Unions can't save the BAD nurses...the drugged nurses, the flake nurses...but Unions can and do assist the nurses who management want to blame with everything. Sorry you are having this problem....in Arizona...It is NOT like that in Los Angeles and I do feel blessed to be here. My son lives in Arizona...Chander. Glad he is not a nurse. My daughter is an RN and just loves it here in LA as I do. I DO agree we need to STOP taking in these foreign nurses...YOU all know where I am talking about. We have to employ American born FIRST. BUT, those nurses will never open up their mouths, NEVER complain and they take lower pay as well. Its happeneing everywhere in the private sector, and not just hospitals. LA...it is the Santuary City for ILLEGALS. Just glad NONE of them are nurses.

38 months ago

Maybe you have to get the nurses together and lobby for safe staffing ratios and breaks and unions...like the nurses DID in Calif. WE DID IT. No one was going to do it for us. And we do NOT have mandatory overtime. NOPE, not in Calif. We have one of the strongest nursing unions in the country. We fight...except the foreigne nurses...they will never fight...they just tag along with us. I do wish we did NOT have to have them working side by side with us. They are a hinderance...NOT a help. WHY IS IT you always have to put your email and numbers code in like 2 or 3 times before it actually posts???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Robert in Los Angeles, California said: I hate to be the spelling police but if this is how you write up patients charts we are all in trouble, especially if a chart ends up in court. Gourmet, Difference, Hopped ???, Luckly ???, Save NOT safe...you spelled it incorrectly twice. Please learn how to spell proper Enlish. I know we get tired typing on here and DO make spelling errors...BUT, you can also tell when someone just does not know how to spell and it is not a typing error. WOW, and you are an RN???? No wonder they want us all to have BSN degrees.

I read that post Robert and all I could focus on was the spelling. I wanted to comment, but didn't bother. I totally agree with you. I'm reading this thinking "did her 5 year old write this"? I have to say incorrect spelling is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I don't have a BSN, however I do know proper grammar and how to spell. I'm glad you wrote it, but I'M IN 100% AGREEMENT WITH YOU. And yes....I wonder what their charting looks like. I worked with a nurse once and I said to her once "did you fail kindergarten"? in a joking manner, but I meant it. She says "what do you mean"? And I showed her the flow sheet. Honest to God...#1 You could not read her handwriting for chit and #2She couldn't write ON THE LINES. So you're reading a blood pressure in the 2pm box which belonged in the 1pm box. She also came in to work looking like she slept in her scrubs. If nurses don't treat themselves like professionals or act like professionals, it's no wonder we don't get the respect we deserve!! And to back track, charting is all about communication, so if you can't even spell simple English words, how are you doing with your MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY?! Shame on that nurse and all the other nurses on these forums who can't spell for chit. Maybe if it was one word you can say, oh typo, but when I read that post, I was thinking these aren't typos, this person can't spell!! Thanks for saying something.

38 months ago

I have a RN friend who contacted a local hospital's nurse recruiter to try and find a job. The recruiter told her that the local colleges are graduating between 800 to 900 nurses a year. Do you think there are 800 to 900 job openings? My friend who moved here from out of state and has 17 yrs experienced is very disillusioned, she has not been able to find one job opening in this area. She has looked within a 100 mile radius for several months and is still unable to find a job.

The majority of the nursing students I've talked to have stated they are sending out their resumes and applying to every local hospital, facility without success.

I would say if the job market is good in Los Angeles then those of you who are looking for jobs need to contact every hospital, agency or facility there and be willing to relocate. In northern california where I live the market is saturated.

Page:  « First « Previous   31  32  33  34  35  36  37  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.