THE CON of BEING AN RN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1651 to 1700 of 2413)
Page:  « First « Previous   31  32  33  34  35  36  37  Next »   Last »

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

36 months ago

I have two final comments. First, I was referring to all of the negative things you said on the forum a few days ago and SECOND: this thread is called the CONS of being an RN. If you think it's such a wonderful career, why are you writing on here telling everyone to get out of the hospital.....let the Filipinos do that. 90% of nursing jobs are in the hospital and I want to go back. I'm truthful in stating what I say and again, if you read my posts, I said I like nursing, except all the paper work and the nasty nurses you work with. You even said the same thing yourself. You're on the wrong forum if you think nursing is so wonderful and you've never been treated bad....that's why this is called "The CONS of being an RN". Try reading and comprehension.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Stop bragging about the money you're making. That's the median home income here and bragging shows your insecurity. Like they say, "if you want to make yourself look good, make everyone else around you look bad" Think about it. I'm DONE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

35 months ago

Heidiful,
I work in California and I can tell you it's not all wine & roses here. Hospital nursing has improved because of the staffing ratio laws, but I started hospital nursing before those were in place and I can tell you it was horrible. Now, nursing jobs are very hard to find because nurses are staying put,hospital's have hiring freezes etc.

Don't believe that if you find a job outside of the hospital that it will be any better. Home health agencies are being scrutinized by Medicare and reimbursements are lower than in the past. In order to make up for the decrease in reimbursement many home health agencies are increasing daily patient visit requirements. The hospitals are discharging these very sick patients too early. It's ridiculous to have to see 7 patients in a day when I used to see up to 5. For example, I've been expected to travel over 100 miles/day and change up to 2 wound vacs, recertify patients and do post hospitalization visits on these patients. It ends up being a 10 to 12 hour day when I was hired for 8 hours a day, then you have to explain to your manager why it's taking you so long because the agency doesn't want to pay overtime. By the way, this is while doing computer charting which in many cases is not quicker than paper charting. The computer quits on you, screen goes blank or it bumps you out because it's been several minutes since you touched a key. Management acts like we work in fast food rather than as professional nurses who are required to attempt to resolve complicated issues that take time and thought.

Susan,
It's a little different in LA, jobs are more plentiful there and not everyone is in your position where they own property. I would not want to be a relatively new nurse trying to find a job now, too many variables to deal with. I get called and emailed all the time from recruiters wanting me to take a travel position to the LA area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

RN in Modesto. YES, I also used to work home health for close to 8 years in the 90's. Everything you say is true. My daughter will have an edge to find a job, since I will assist her with some of my friends who hire. New grads are having a very hard time since they did away with the New Grad programs in all of the hospitals due to money issues. You and I probably worked when it was GOOD in Calif. The 80's gave an RN 12 to 15 patients WITH and LVN to pass your meds and a CNA for care. We did the IV's and half the charting. While the LVN did the other half. Life was good. Those days are gone forever. More nurses are also retiring in Calif. The age of the RN is getting older. But I agree many older nurses are needing to continue working due to the economy. If you can get a Government job that is the place to be. I left the hospitals 8 years ago for a Government spot. Got a few of my friends from the hospital to come and work where I do also. Other states don't sound so promising. I feel lucky we are in Calif. I have heard that the pay scale is lower up North than in Los Angeles. Not sure if that is true. I had a friend who went up near Frisco...she came back after a year saying this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

The pay scale in San Francisco is great, the cost of living......very high. It's a terrible commute so, you would really need to live there in order to make it work.
By the way, hospital work for me in the late 80's - 90's was a nightmare compared to today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

I guess I have been in psych for too long...to know how the med/surg floors or ICU are nowadays. I have worked psych for the past 17 years. I have been out of hospitals for 7 years. Before I left the hospital I was in home health for 6 years. I do see the major changes though on the hospital floors. I think our staffing ratios in Calif have helped even though they really did get rid of a lot of the CNA's...that was not supposed to be part of the plan. Late 80's early 90's I was on the medical floor and thought it was pretty good with ALL the staff we had back then. I agree the RN was responsible for a LOT more patients but with the LVN and CNA it seemed to work ok. Then they got rid of the LVN and the RN had 8 patients. That was a little much. Nursing has changed and probably not for the better. My daughter is just getting into it and hopefully she works in the hospital a very short time and gets out, finding something else she will enjoy. When you enter the nuber you see in the box...Do you have to do it a few times before your post actually posts?

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Susan in Los Angeles, California said: I think if you are that unhappy as an RN you should find another line of work. Some nurses get burnout. I DO understand what you are talking about but nursing is NOT for the weak of heart. Get OUT of the hospital setting. This way you do NOT have to deal with the Administrators or really other nurses. Get into something where you more or less work independently. That is what I have done. Sure, I have someone in the higher ups but I don't work directly with other nurses. I am out in the field working all by myself with my patients. Hospital nursing is the pits and I plan on never returning to that type of work. Its true what they say...that Nurses "eat their young". After almost 25 years of being an RN...I am looking at creative ways to retire early. What about doing clinical nursing at the schools. If you have a BSN you can do that. Just to teach your students in the clinical field. Have you thought about opening up a home health department? YOU would be the boss. What about a senior living facility? If you have a house where it is zoned to do...you could have patients live there and pay CASH. Families would utilize your home instead of putting their loved ones in a SNF. Its just a few thoughts I am throwing out to you. I plan on doing that when I retire in a few years. Have like 6 patients in the house...Hire CNA's, buy a van to take the patients on outings and to doctors appointments. LOTS of other things you can do. What about being a school RN? Don't BURN OUT...find your nitch that you will enjoy.

I think if you are lucky enough to have a good position count your blessings. Trust me, it just isn't like that all over the country. Times are changing. The hospitals are requiring more and more and more of each and everyone these days. I talk to nurses of all levels all over the place and it is so tough out there. I LOVE BEING A NURSE. I LOVE CARING FOR PEOPLE. But I hate having idiots being administrator

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

My goals would be for all nursing programs to have student nurses attend a full day attending their State Nursing Boards as they go after various nurses and the CNAs for whatever reason. I also would make each student become fully educated in what Horizontal Violence, Lateral Violence, Bullying,Mobbing or whatever they want to call it today truly is. Recognize it, admit it, fess up to it and then know what to do with it. It is a shame it is so prevalent today in the grade schools with children. Yet, for years and years so called professional nurses and other medical staff have been doing it at varying degrees. I say; ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! It will not end until WE acknowledge it and decide to stop it. I have to quote a "Dr. Phil" line here: YOU CANNOT CHANGE WHAT YOU FAIL TO ACKNOWLEDGE! Everyone of us must admit and acknowledge the abuse when we see it, do it, witness it and are a target of it. It is no longer ok. It is not ok for kids why should it be acceptable for us? I don't want to hear the BS "she is too thin skinned" or "she is such a wuss" ENOUGH! Even on various nursing forums, I'm seeing it and so sick of it. When will it end? Who will step up and stop the injustice? I hurt when I see another coworker verbally abused or the backbiting. Straight up honesty is one thing. But you nurses know what I'm talking about...........that smile in your face then stick the knife in your back when your barely a few feet away nonsense. I say ENOUGH already. I've stood up to coworkers that pull this chit and managers that play their "little girl games" and I call it exactly that. I point blank tell them "I see the hidden agenda and I don't play little girl games, so what is your problem?" Funny thing is, insecure people in power positions have difficulty with people like me, why? Because they always know where they stand with me. It's time to grow up ladies and gentlemen. That goes same for those foreign nurses that snicker at Americans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Sooo true Suki. I'm glad that you mentioned that even on these forums there is bullying. Do me a favor and look back to Sunday and there was back and forth meowing between myself and a nurse from California whose name starts with an S. I think you'll know who I'm talking about. This woman keeps telling everyone to get out of the hospital, etc. etc. See if you can find it, and if you read the posts and replies, let me know what you think.
Nothing changes if nothing changes. I was talking to a nurse today and we were both saying the same thing that nursing will never change until everyone gets fed up and just won't put up with it anymore, however, we are up against foreign nurses who won't say boo and tolerate it. And that's how administration wants it. I actually got an email entitled "Lateral Violence in Nursing". What other "profession" do you hear about this.....NONE!!! There are too many women in Nursing and as my brother said, "that's why you don't get along, you're all women and you all hate each other". I have a friend who is a nurse and a very pretty girl and exceptionally smart. She told me she wouldn't wear makeup because she was afraid of the comments she would get like "oh, look at the little princess". In the meantime, she was a sharp shooter, quick witted and very smart. She could run circles around half the nurses we worked with. How pathetic is it that you have nurses seething with jealousy and they take their own miserableness out on others. That's the bottom line. They're not happy with themselves, otherwise they wouldn't behave like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

In response to the above post, there really is no nursing shortage. People need to quit listening to the advertising about it. We have too many licensed nurses out there that cannot find a job for various reasons. Not until the baby boomers have all retired or gone will there be a massive true shortage. Due to the economy that will be awhile. We need to look at why we have so many unemployed nurses out there now. Per our previous discussions, we can figure that one out. Why do so many young nurses leave the profession soon after graduation and new on a job? The reality isn't pleasant. Nursing today isn't what they expected during nursing school. The schools today are not preparing them for the real world. They have left out so much due to time constraints in their programs. Yes, these for profit schools are strictly banking on the marketing of luring people into a profession based on this alleged need that appears to be out there. But the reality is very different. I know so many new grads unable to find employment that are still working as CNAs or plebotomists just to work after they graduate and pass boards. By the year 2020 it will be the BSN that is mandatory for entry for an RN (per the regulations proposed) so we will see how that goes. I know many many schools in my areas that are working on cutting down their ADN enrollment to prepare for a BSN program or elimination of their programs all together. That means higher education needed for all faculty. So even the BSN clinical instructors will not be needed they will all be required to be minimum Masters to teach even clinical. More $$, more $ more $ all the way around. I have some concern that I see with various "managers" and "educators" that I personally have met that have their "degrees" from various online colleges with no face to face or hands on exposure. There seems to be something lacking there. Now, no hate mail please. They seem to have difficulty with real situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Susan in Los Angeles, California said: I think if I was you, I would just bail out of nursing now. You do not seem happy and it will make you sick. Los Angeles nurses make close to 50 to 55 dollars an hour. YES, that is what the seasoned nurses are making OUTSIDE of the hospital in other settings. I got the BEST job in the world. I am in mental health nursing. The psychiatric hospitals are making 35 to 44 an hour. Supervisors make more. Cost of living is high in Los Angeles as well. I would NEVER work for 32 an hour..OMG...I have 4 more years and I will retire. I plan on opening up a senior living home with about 6 patients in it. Thats my plan anyways. OR...bail out of nursing all together and just buy a smaller apartment building and live off my pension, social security, and rents. If you buy an apartment, the rents will pay your mortgage. Work smarter NOT harder. Come on out West someplace...Come to Los Angeles...Forget about Arizona...the pay sucks there.

I have to say, money isn't everything. Yes, I want to pay my bills. But my health; physical and mental health is far more important. Unfortunately I almost let this field called nursing destroy my physical, mental, spiritual and emotional health due to various exploitations of the abuses of nursing today. Even being witness to the abuse of my fellow coworkers, patients, physicians and my community by administration almost destroyed me. Luckily I caught myself before I was totally destroyed. However, my health took a toll and my body suffered some consequences. I know of what Heidiful speaks of unfortunately and I feel her pain. Money isn't everything. Let me just pay my bills and be able to put food on my table and keep a roof over my head. Don't ever let any facility or administration run your life or make you live in fear! Don't give your power away to anyone. Kind of like living with an abusive spouse. Who wants that? Who needs that? That is called TOXIC, stay away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jami007 s in California

35 months ago

Hi,I am currently a student taking my prereq's for nursing on the East coast. I will be done and eligible for a seat at the end of this semester. I am doing very well and am excited to start the nursing program, but would like a little advice. I moved to the east coast from California to help a family member. It turned into a longer stay then I had expected due to having a beautiful little girl. I decided to stay and start school but have always planned to move back to Southern CA. My question is this- I was wondering if I would have a better chance of being hired if I transferred to a school in California. When you start school alot of us (or at least me and some fellow students) have the notion that this field will give you the chance to relocate with ease. With the issues going on right now- hiring freezes, understaffing etc. I am a little nervous that I won't even be considered for an out of state job even if I test for CA and am eligible for work there. I know I have other factors to consider such as how many of my credits will transfer and cost but some opinions would help; if I did decide to transfer I would have to look into it now to see how long waiting lists are etc etc...oh a little more info...I am going for ADN then would like to pursue BSN while working. If someone could advise or give some insight on how out of state applicants are viewed as opposed to local applicants(with good grades) I would appreciate it! Thank you!

Pete's Sake

35 months ago

If at all possible go for the BSN now. I have it on great authority that most big east coast hospitals are hiring NO AND,s and don't intend to in the future. One nurse CNO told me last night that she has BO and's and only a 2% vacancy I know its a hardship but 2 more years will save you in the long run...besides BSN should be your lowest goal Most hospital administrators and CNO's know which programs are the best. Stay with a long term college. These new "pop-up" colleges are not highly esteemed in the eyes of nurse executives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Susan in Los Angeles....do you have a pre-printed reply list. I noticed, looking at your previous posts, you say the EXACT SAME THING for every post. "I would never work for 32/hr OMG. Go into psych. The nurses out here are making $50-$55/hr and 44/ hr outside the hospital"...."if I were you, I would get out of nursing altogether"....yada, yada, yada. We've heard it over and over again. Come up with some of your own true advice or is this all you've got. Stop bragging that you make so much money....who cares. It's not about the money. It's about personal satisfaction. I know people who have their own businesses and pull in a half a million a year but are miserable and like Donald Trump says "if you're happy, you're successful. Suki, you are right as far as the nursing shortage. They are closing schools here in NY because of the lack of positions available for new grads, yet it's the media's fault pumping up Nursing as a recession proof job. If that were the case, there wouldn't be so many nurses out of work. Nurses are getting laid off here left and right and the bottom line is the almighty $$$. Let's save a buck and get rid of some nurses. In the meantime you have the hospital bigwigs making close to a million a year that walk around with clipboards. I just read that 17% of nurses are not working...and you wonder why. The nurses are out there, they just don't want to do it anymore. I renewed my ACLS AND BLS this summer and the whole class was filled with UNEMPLOYED new grads some graduated over a year ago. And this BSN requirement is exactly what it stands for....a Bull s--t in nursing that tacks on 2 more years of liberal arts classes. And they're supposed to be "better" nurses. I agree with you that the whole approach to nursing education has to be revamped. They're still teaching hand washing and bed making. This isn't the Florence Nightingale era.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

I just heard from some people in administration and upper management that NOW they are considering making revisions to nursing once again. They are reviewing the very potential of having to have nurses that have been working in their fields for years and years and years to go back and be TESTED (take boards again) and show skill competency for the BOARDS of nursing!!!! To be able to keep their license. Yes, you heard it correctly. Because they feel (the higher powers that be) that not only the new grads but also the old continued working nurses need to PROVE themselves over and over again in all skill fields. No, I'm not talking your required competencies for BLS, ACLS, PALS or other unit/hospital based areas; I mean general nursing. Meaning more money for the Nursing Boards. This is in the works, especially for Arizona. Funny thing is, not ONE working bedside nurse is on any Legislative Board from Arizona! Making these decisions. Wonder why? Wonder how they are getting this far? For one, none of us has the time to get on these Boards. We are too busy trying to stay afloat with our required mandatories, required classes, screwed up hours, being sent home low census, change in schedules last minute, mandatory meetings, expected joining of groups to "benefit" your dept. They forget we should be trying to have a well rounded life with family, hobbies, sports, relaxation, vacation etc etc. You know the things we tell our patients to do for their well being. Who is making the decisions for OUR PRACTICE Nurses? Not us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Suki, I thought you might appreciate this comment that I copied and I am pasting for you and others to read. I was submitted for a job in Globe, AZ as a traveler....not sure if this is the facility but regardless, the ignorant statement leaves you to wonder if the public is really aware of what nurses do. Read the last sentence specifically..... Here it is:

"Since the Banner hospitals took this one over, it has become a better hospital.
In fact, I was well attended by nurses, and my doctor was quite knowledgeable.

However, I did notice that a nurse seemed to have some influence on the doctor. He is a good doctor, and nurses should be doing the information gathering and doctors should not consider much of what others say. They should rely on the test results and medical records--Never nurses or trouble makers." OK...NEVER NURSES OR TROUBLE MAKERS? I wanted to reply to that comment but I figured this person is too stupid to even understand what I'd be talking about. I have heard countless times over and over from neighbors, the public, etc. "the nurses did nothing except sit at the nurses station at eat pizza" "I never saw my husband's nurse for the two hours I was there" In the meantime, that nurse could have been caught in a code and there wasn't enough staff to go check in on other patients. It seems that when anything ever goes wrong....it's the nurses fault. We are the skeleton and backbone of the hospital. We are the doctor's eyes and ears when they are not there. I used to tell family members, "I would like you to come to work with me just one day and see what I do" I even have a very good friend who, 15 years ago, was a secretary in a law firm in Manhattan making $75,000 a year, 6 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time etc. etc. and asked me one day "what exactly do you do?" This is why I keep reiterating that the public should be made aware of what we actually do. But...you can't fix stupid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

I don't believe there's a nursing shortage either. It is hard to find data that supports this thought, although I did find this article from MPR:

minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/minnecon/archive/2010/06/nursing-supply-and-demand-out-of-whack.shtml

Many of the responders wanted to argue that the data was incorrect and there is indeed a nursing shortage. It all just adds to the confusion, but in my experience it seems that I bump into so many people who are " getting into the nursing program" because they feel that nursing is a recession proof profession. The soon to graduate students though are realizing that the jobs are just not out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

I wonder if the study is taking into account the fact that there IS A PUSH lately allover the country for many nurses to be reported to their respective nursing boards and losing their licenses? Big trend is going on right now. There is data out there and I personally know at least 15 nurses that have very recently been reported to the board for things you would not believe. No, I am not talking sneaking or diverting Dilaudid out of the pyxis either! This is happening allover the country. Do some googling, there are various blogs and forums out there where nurses are talking about such issues. I know nurses reported because they held a pt. b/p Rx due to the b/p being too low to give it. Meaning they used nursing judgement.

35 months ago

The author of the article is Paul Tosto. He apparently wrote a series of articles on the nonexistent nursing shortage.
Here's another one:
minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/minnecon/archive/2011/09/little-improvement-in-nursing-job-openings.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Claude in Winnipeg, Manitoba

35 months ago

Truth of the matter is, Nursing is not a glamorous career as some people in our society think. They might make a decent wage but they put up with a lot and work extremely hard! I got up to my 3rd year in nursing school and I finally realized what I was getting myself into. I agree that colleges can do a better job in preparing nursing students for the real world in Nursing. At least my college, I can't speak for others. And Suki, I totally agree, MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING! Your sanity is more important!

I don't want to discourage anybody from pursuing their dreams and becoming a nurse. We need good nurses out there. I respect every one of them for the hard work that they do! It isn't easy I tell you. Do your research and know what you're getting into before taking the leap. Don't have a blind eye like I did. The #1 reason to pursue Nursing should be because of passion. The money should be secondary or considered a bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Candy in East Peoria, Illinois

35 months ago

Pete's Sake said: If at all possible go for the BSN now. I have it on great authority that most big east coast hospitals are hiring NO AND,s and don't intend to in the future. One nurse CNO told me last night that she has BO and's and only a 2% vacancy I know its a hardship but 2 more years will save you in the long run...besides BSN should be your lowest goal Most hospital administrators and CNO's know which programs are the best. Stay with a long term college. These new "pop-up" colleges are not highly esteemed in the eyes of nurse executives.

The trend among big midwestern hospitals is the same as this. BSNs are the ones hired by hospitals of any size. ADNs are going the way of LPNs, relegated to nursing homes and assisted living center. That alone should tell someone that this "shortage" is simply bunk! Schools are great about telling people how wonderful the job market is to entice them to enroll. Then while on clinicals they start to get an idea of how the system really works and how many jobs there are truly out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

I agree that seems to be the trend. I recommend to nursing students to take a look at various sources of potential jobs out there. I have not come across a hospital in the Arizona area regardless of specialty or not that does not state: BSN required or BSN preferred. Then they add on to that for entry level positions. All management and education are Masters and up. They also have within various jobs Certification preferred. So, in order for one to get certified you have to first spend so much time in that specific area. Then take your credentialing testing. So, that will make it even harder for some of the new grads.

bartislife@aol.com in Maumee, Ohio

35 months ago

You can't fix stupid and you can't fix greed. If the general public wants to know what exactly nurses do, well, guess what? The nursing population should be asking "WHAT EXACTLY TO THE FAT CAT CEO'S, CFO'S, Presidents of the Hospitals, and all their well-paid minions do!?" The Toledo Hospital CEO makes over $3,000,000 a year (without bonuses) and no-one has ever even seen him except in the stupid so-called 'society page' of the Toledo Blade. Let's start asking these NON-PROFITS where that big money is coming from......because nurses know it is NOT going to us. Let's also ask where it is going to.....because that's not going to workers' salaries or benefits, that's for sure!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Heidiful in Centereach, New York said: Suki, I thought you might appreciate this comment that I copied and I am pasting for you and others to read. I was submitted for a job in Globe, AZ as a traveler....not sure if this is the facility but regardless, the ignorant statement leaves you to wonder if the public is really aware of what nurses do. Read the last sentence specifically..... Here it is:

"Since the Banner hospitals took this one over, it has become a better hospital.
In fact, I was well attended by nurses, and my doctor was quite knowledgeable.

However, I did notice that a nurse seemed to have some influence on the doctor. He is a good doctor, and nurses should be doing the information gathering and doctors should not consider much of what others say. They should rely on the test results and medical records--Never nurses or trouble makers." OK...NEVER NURSES OR TROUBLE MAKERS? I wanted to reply to that comment but I figured this person is too stupid to even understand what I'd be talking about. I have heard countless times over and over from neighbors, the public, etc. "the nurses did nothing except sit at the nurses station at eat pizza" "I never saw my husband's nurse for the two hours I was there" In the meantime, that nurse could have been caught in a code and there wasn't enough staff to go check in on other patients. It seems that when anything ever goes wrong....it's the nurses fault. We are the skeleton and backbone of the hospital. We are the doctor's eyes and ears when they are not there. I used to tell family members, "I would like you to come to work with me just one day and see what I do" I even have a very good friend who, 15 years ago, was a secretary in a law firm in Manhattan making $75,000 a year, 6 weeks vacation, unlimited sick time etc. etc. and asked me one day "what exactly do you do?" This is why I keep reiterating that the public should be made aware of what we actually do. But...you can't fix stupid.

Oh my!

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

bartislife@aol.com in Maumee, Ohio said: You can't fix stupid and you can't fix greed. If the general public wants to know what exactly nurses do, well, guess what? The nursing population should be asking "WHAT EXACTLY TO THE FAT CAT CEO'S, CFO'S, Presidents of the Hospitals, and all their well-paid minions do!?" The Toledo Hospital CEO makes over $3,000,000 a year (without bonuses) and no-one has ever even seen him except in the stupid so-called 'society page' of the Toledo Blade. Let's start asking these NON-PROFITS where that big money is coming from......because nurses know it is NOT going to us. Let's also ask where it is going to.....because that's not going to workers' salaries or benefits, that's for sure!!!!!!!!

I've been saying that for awhile now. My nursing coworkers just say; well he must be busy. Doing what I ask? We still don't have enough nurses in healthcare willing to ASK the questions that need to be asked. The CEO's and administrator fatcats are banking on those types of personalities. Until then, they will continue to line their pockets. Have you noticed if an administrator or CEO gets RIF'd they get a hefty $$ package when they leave? What does the nurse or other healthcare worker get? NADA! They often get escorted out the door, like they are a common criminal. Think about that old Enron scandal. How few people were willing to speak up? When they did, what happened to them? They were the ones attacked. Nursing in general will not speak up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Very good article. This is what I mean, when I talk about the media and the public needing to be made aware of what's going on. Every time I meet someone and I say I'm a nurse (who is unemployed) all I ever hear is "I thought there was a nursing shortage". I'm so sick of it. I've even had recruiters from hospitals here on L.I. say "there's not a shortage on L.I."....there's actually an abundance of nurses. It's a small area (mileage wise), yet highly populated. I read an article recently that for every nurse applying for a job HERE, there are 20 nurses applying for the same position....so where's the shortage? And it also kills me that hospitals are taking trips to 3rd world countries and bringing in nurses instead of taking care of "their own". Not going to expand on that because we all know we can beat that to death and nothing will change unless nurses start banding together and standing up for what they believe isn't right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina

35 months ago

So, the truth is stop doing nursing. It is not worth it. I should stay in my accounting job that I hate!Is there any job in the medical field that is hiring? Does anyone know if they are hiring nurses in NC? Should I just quite school and not quite my job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Unless you're working on your BSN, which right now is starting to become the minimum requirement. You're fortunate enough to have another profession to fall back on. I'm looking to relocate to N.C. (as everyone in NY is moving down there due to the hight cost of living here). If you're near completion of your nursing degree, don't quit. With an accounting degree and an RN, you could be very marketable. Not necessarily in the hospitals, but in other business/medical related fields. If I go back to school, my plan is to go for a degree in business or even liberal arts. Years ago, I was working at a hospital which started this BSN only hiring phase and guess what....they couldn't get any nurses. So, they lifted it, started hiring new grads and now, 15 years later, they're back to the BSN only nurses. So a nurse, like myself with 18 years of experience, is not considered over a new graduate, (but with a Bachelor's degree). In the meantime, I have another degree and the "bachelor's portion" of a BSN program is nothing but two more years of liberal arts classes. I even had more clinical time in a ADN program over some of my co-workers who graduated from very expensive 4 year BSN programs. I worked with nurses who had never even put a patient on a bedpan in nursing school. How they managed that, I'll never know. Years ago the best nurses came from Diploma schools where the nurses were on the floor 7 days a week and got hands on training from the getgo. Then they decided nurses should be "educated", as if they were stupid. Now, these nurses working at these hospitals who are looking to retire soon are required to go back to school and get a BSN when they've worked 40 years without one. To me, it's just a way of weeding out nurses when they're receiving an over abundance of applicants they don't have jobs for. I can't foresee this BSN requirement lasting. If there were a TRUE nursing shortage, hospitals wouldn't be requiring a BSN.

Candy in East Peoria, Illinois

35 months ago

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: So, the truth is stop doing nursing. It is not worth it. I should stay in my accounting job that I hate!Is there any job in the medical field that is hiring? Does anyone know if they are hiring nurses in NC? Should I just quite school and not quite my job?

I don't know of any health field that has a a true shortage right now other than family practice docs, and even then that's only because so many MD/DOs go into more lucrative specialties. Don't quit your job just yet. We're not out of the woods with this recession/medical reorganization going on in this country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

It seems as if, because of the economy, everyone wants to jumpt into Nursing thinking "there's always a need for nurses". Not true. I agree with Candy when she says don't quit your job. I was at a job in home care and got to the point, the family AND the agency drove me out of there because they knew I was aware of fraud going on, so they started making my life miserable. I couldn't take it anymore...and 8 months later still cannot get a job in my state, anyway. Nursing, despite what they say, IS NOT recession proof. Hospitals are businesses like any other and when they need to cut back, it's the nurses that are the first to go. Don't quit your job. There's a reason for this forum "The Cons of Being an RN". It's not all a bed of roses by any means (I'm talking about Nursing)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Rothstein in Riverside, California

35 months ago

100% agree with Heidiful that it seems everyone considers nursing because of the economy. However, nursing shortages are getting worse and worse. This is the case with many professions, grad school programs, etc. Ya, the world always needs nurses but that doesn't mean there are constantly jobs available for them. It is hard in the economy - do not become a nurse if you are only taking that route because you think you will be able to find a job easily. You should only do nursing if you have seriously considered it for a long time and truly know you will enjoy what you do. It is nothing close to a cake walk.

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

I'm glad I came across this post before investing money into a nursing program. It confirms what I suspected - there isn't a nursing shortage.

35 months ago

That just sucks! I have been waiting to be an RN since I was 8 and I have been taking a class here and there since 2007. I guess I will try something else. I do not know what! I do not have an accounting degree. I just been doing it since I was 19. What do you know about ultra sound or radiology? Or should I get a different degree?

35 months ago

I know nurses who are RNs AND respiratory therapists or radiologic techs...and guess what..they don't work as RNs. They settled for a couple dollars less per hour and decided to work as resp. therapists or rad techs. The reason being, when I asked them, is that they make a little less money but don't have half the stress and responsibility that nurses do. I've worked in cath lab, so I know quite a few Rad techs and they all have a FT job, plus a per diem or part time job. I've even thought about it myself. I don't know what the job market is, but I never heard any of them complain, they all liked their jobs. It's not "dirty" work. You can work in hospitals, free standing MRI, CT scan centers, work part time doing x-rays, work for a radiologist. I met a rad tech this summer while renewing my ACLS and she became an RN and couldn't find a job. At least she had the Rad Tech job to fall back on. I would consider it. As far as ultrasound, I see too many ads on TV and just from going to the doctor and having ultrasounds, I've met so many that are going to ultrasound school. I know a guy who was an engineer with my Dad and years ago became an ultrasound tech only to find NO job whatsoever when he finished. It's only a one year program and another area where people think "Oh, I'll be an ultrasound tech in one year" along with thousands of others. I would put the time in to Radiology before ultrasound. You'll have more opportunities than an ultrasound tech. Like I said, I worked cardiac cath (and interventional radiology) and never heard the techs complain like the nurses. They all seem to like it. Nurses get the blame for EVERYTHING that goes wrong in the hospital...if there's a spill, call the nurse...garbage is overflowing, the nurse has to empty it because housekeeping is no where to be found...there's just too much bs that goes along with nursing that's not even nursing related. I say become a rad tech and then you can even specialize and become a CV tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Heidiful in Centereach, New York said: It seems as if, because of the economy, everyone wants to jumpt into Nursing thinking "there's always a need for nurses". Not true. I agree with Candy when she says don't quit your job. I was at a job in home care and got to the point, the family AND the agency drove me out of there because they knew I was aware of fraud going on, so they started making my life miserable. I couldn't take it anymore...and 8 months later still cannot get a job in my state, anyway. Nursing, despite what they say, IS NOT recession proof. Hospitals are businesses like any other and when they need to cut back, it's the nurses that are the first to go. Don't quit your job. There's a reason for this forum "The Cons of Being an RN". It's not all a bed of roses by any means (I'm talking about Nursing)

Nurses or future nurses; go do a GOOGLE search about what else is coming down the pike. ROBOTS to take the place of nurse. Called NURSEBOTS. Toyota and another corporation already has them functioning. It seems like it is another huge auto corporation. Not only functioning in the OR but to turn pts. Some places are using them to monitor seniors for homecare. Go look it up. There are more than one way to severely decrease the numbers of nurses needed! I'm not trying to be paranoid, I'm getting closer to the end of my career (not close enough) but for you younger nurses it will affect your longevity of your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: That just sucks! I have been waiting to be an RN since I was 8 and I have been taking a class here and there since 2007. I guess I will try something else. I do not know what! I do not have an accounting degree. I just been doing it since I was 19. What do you know about ultra sound or radiology? Or should I get a different degree?

I would look at ultrasound, radiology often same field. Or Occupational Therapy, Physical or Speech Therapy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pete's Sake

35 months ago

If you don't believe in conspiracy theories, read no further. There is a contrived shortage. It is the excuse that hospitals(and LTF's) give for working you
Like a dog. (Pardon the punctuation, my phone) I started in nursing making 4.20 an hour the climb to 25 an hour took 15 years but it happened suddenly. in the late 80's when agencies stole disgruntled nurses away from the hospitals and offered them more money and the ability to make their own schedule. Hospitals that abused their employees couldn't get agency nurses to come back. They had a crisis on their hands. They grudgingly increased staff but began to plot. Who the hell were these nurses taking so much of their healthcare dollars?But...*agencies also were plotting too! Those damn MBA's have ruined this country. Once the had the market they began to nickle and dime the nurses. Sandwiched between competing forces, nurses lost...there is a real glut of nurses outside the hospital (and nursing homes, all those conglomerate corporations) the places where nurses fled, so there is an excess of available nurses and and less and less jobs. I got so desperate I applied for an LPN clinic job. I was in competition with 202 nurses...12 with doctorates, 37 with masters... The large hospital corps are HAPPY to see all the old nurses go...somehow they were forced to raise their salaries across the country and now they are stuck. There is only onee solution. Start over with a new batch of nurses who have lower expectations regarding salary and conditions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Health Worker in Rushville, Illinois

35 months ago

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona said: I would look at ultrasound, radiology often same field. Or Occupational Therapy, Physical or Speech Therapy.

Do a search on here for all those jobs and you'll find much the same thing as in this thread. Radiology was the in thing to do 10-15 years ago with good salaries even for new grads. Now the market is flooded with people just as in nursing. Physical Therapy requires grad school and is highly competitive to get into unless you're ok with being a PT Aide.

Toby in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

I am going to jump right in here and tell you to continue your schooling for nursing. I have been an RN, BSN for close to 25 years. Plan on retiring in about 4 more years. I just watched my daughter graduate and got a job FAST. Nursing IS a stable career, I don't care WHAT some of these other naysayers have to discuss. Certain places might have some problems. I also think personalities of certain nurses makes it difficult for them to work in this field. Maybe they have issues getting along with others, maybe they are unable to stand up for themselves. Who knows what issues they might have. If you have wanted to be an RN since you were 8 years old..DO IT...you will NOT be sorry. I still say you can always get a job someplace and will always be working. I have NEVER been out of work a day in my life since getting my RN. Depends I guess it depends on how picky you might be and what specialty you are willing to venture into. GET your nursing degree. I am so glad my daughter followed me into this field. Don't listen to everything you read on this forum. Some nurses are disgruntled and yes, there are alot of nurses brought here from the Philipines....but I say again...You can always find something in nursing....Good luck to you and STAY in school. Our profession needs nurses like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Toby in Los Angeles, California

35 months ago

I am going to jump right in here and tell you to continue your schooling for nursing. I have been an RN, BSN for close to 25 years. Plan on retiring in about 4 more years. I just watched my daughter graduate and got a job FAST. Nursing IS a stable career, I don't care WHAT some of these other naysayers have to discuss. Certain places might have some problems. I also think personalities of certain nurses makes it difficult for them to work in this field. Maybe they have issues getting along with others, maybe they are unable to stand up for themselves. Who knows what issues they might have. If you have wanted to be an RN since you were 8 years old..DO IT...you will NOT be sorry. I still say you can always get a job someplace and will always be working. I have NEVER been out of work a day in my life since getting my RN. Depends I guess it depends on how picky you might be and what specialty you are willing to venture into. GET your nursing degree. I am so glad my daughter followed me into this field. Don't listen to everything you read on this forum. Some nurses are disgruntled and yes, there are alot of nurses brought here from the Philipines....but I say again...You can always find something in nursing....Good luck to you and STAY in school. Our profession needs nurses like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

I agree with the U.Sound. In my area I know people that have gotten specialized and done well. You are right, P.T. has required a higher degree for quite some time now. Occupational Therapy is another one. However, the people I know are well compensated and happy with their careers. At least the ones I know. Nothing will ever suck as much as nursing. Why? Because what job does the person have that 24/7 once you get report where you are completely tethered to the patient and responsible for every little thing that happens to them?

suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Toby in Los Angeles, California said: I am going to jump right in here and tell you to continue your schooling for nursing. I have been an RN, BSN for close to 25 years. Plan on retiring in about 4 more years. I just watched my daughter graduate and got a job FAST. Nursing IS a stable career, I don't care WHAT some of these other naysayers have to discuss. Certain places might have some problems. I also think personalities of certain nurses makes it difficult for them to work in this field. Maybe they have issues getting along with others, maybe they are unable to stand up for themselves. Who knows what issues they might have. If you have wanted to be an RN since you were 8 years old..DO IT...you will NOT be sorry. I still say you can always get a job someplace and will always be working. I have NEVER been out of work a day in my life since getting my RN. Depends I guess it depends on how picky you might be and what specialty you are willing to venture into. GET your nursing degree. I am so glad my daughter followed me into this field. Don't listen to everything you read on this forum. Some nurses are disgruntled and yes, there are alot of nurses brought here from the Philipines....but I say again...You can always find something in nursing....Good luck to you and STAY in school. Our profession needs nurses like you.

Do it with your eyes open! I know so many darn good experienced highly educated nurses with years of solid experiences unable to secure even a part-time job. They feel lucky if they find a pool position in their specialty. So, keep your eyes open. Also if you have any tendency to have any codepency issues, work on that first. I've been lucky to always pretty much been able to find work. Now..............that does NOT mean the places I have worked were the best places NOR did they treat the staff, physicians or even the patients well. Like I have stated before: MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING. I know of what I speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

ACSCLS123 in Harrisburg, North Carolina said: That just sucks! I have been waiting to be an RN since I was 8 and I have been taking a class here and there since 2007. I guess I will try something else. I do not know what! I do not have an accounting degree. I just been doing it since I was 19. What do you know about ultra sound or radiology? Or should I get a different degree?

The great thing about this thread is the honesty presented. There are too many people being misled into the nursing profession by being told nursing is recession proof and jobs are plentiful. My goal is not to kill your dream of becoming a nurse, but rather to provide the truth. It's better to know what you're getting into then to go in blindly.

As I stated before, the job market in Los Angeles is much better than in other areas of California,but overall nursing jobs are hard to find if they weren't you would be finding posters telling you how easy it is and where there are jobs. Toby in Los Angeles please post the hospitals, LTC's in your area that are hiring new grads and ADN's. How many positions are open?

acscls123 in Aberdeen, North Carolina

35 months ago

Do you know anything about the job market for OT's or PT's?

35 months ago

Read the reply by Toby in Los Angeles. It seems that all the L.A. nurses think nursing is so wonderful, why, because they have laws protecting their nurses as well as a very populated and large state, so of course there are going to be needs out there. They staff their hospitals, so of course there will be a need and less employed nurses. This girl is writing from N.C. Let me know your thoughts on that post. He talks about all the "naysayers" on this forum...."hello, it's called the "cons of nursing". And I will be replying to his post. I just feel I'm on the same page as you Suki, so I thought you might want to read it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rachana shah in San Antonio, Texas

35 months ago

Hi....everyone
I would like to know about nursing program..i m from india and i did my bechlore of commerce in india now i come with my husband and i m on h4 visa .Now i m planning to start study..but i have some questions regarding nursing field...is there any basic program regarding to start nursing school?becouse before i was some different field which commerce so is it possible that i will study my nursing?and is there any requirements for international students?plz help me guys .........thanx.and let me know as soon as poss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

acscls123 in Aberdeen, North Carolina said: Do you know anything about the job market for OT's or PT's?

I know personally a few OT's and PT's and they make far more money than nurses. They are very happy and the ones that specialize have autonomy. Especially with Sports Medicine and Hand. They like what they do. I think mainly because they can do it independently not under nursing and not tethered to a patient 24/7.

35 months ago

Suki in Phoenix, Arizona said: I know personally a few OT's and PT's and they make far more money than nurses. They are very happy and the ones that specialize have autonomy. Especially with Sports Medicine and Hand. They like what they do. I think mainly because they can do it independently not under nursing and not tethered to a patient 24/7.

But it is as hard to jobs as PT or OT as it is nursing?

35 months ago

Debbie, I'm glad you said it. I wanted to reply, but thought I'd be kicked off this site. You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sick of hospitals taking in nurses from foreign countries and there are nurses here that are more than qualified who haven't been trained in filthy, disgusting conditions that need jobs. I worked with Indian nurses who used to use the bathroom with the door open, wouldn't use gloves when toughing a man's private parts and then dig in her pockets to hand me the narcs keys. I would say "that's disgusting....you didn't even wash your hands" Just disgusting and gross. This was years ago, but I remember giving report and going home smelling like curry. Use perfume, better yet...shower. Nice people, just filthy living habits....not good for nursing OR ANYONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Destinys destiny in Jacksonville, Alabama

35 months ago

I am so thankful to find this forum. I currently have a B.S in psychology and I too have been thinking about pursuing the nursing profession. I like the fact that no one here is trying to sugarcoat anything. Keep going with your comments I am thankful to read them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   31  32  33  34  35  36  37  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.