DWI and CORI check

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 439)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

62 months ago

Danelle in Charlotte, North Carolina said: However even with successful treatment the person is to be humiliated, discriminated against and alienated for the remainder of their life. Now you tell me how a person who has committed murder has a better chance with the right attorney of having the charges reduced or dropped than a 1st time simple (meaning no other offenses involved) dui offender? That is the fact. I understand if a person is drunk on the job. If a pilot is flying drunk if a nurse is found under the influence while taking care of patients there is every reason to use the full force of the law against those individuals and make it very clear from the outset that committing such actions will result in permanent revocation of a persons license. Again...speeding kills, pools kill, obesity kills (especially parents who allow their children to become obese). You have an obligation to allow people to heal and move on with their lives. You are nurses. You are medical professionals. I would have expected more from you.

I agree with both you and Mr. T on some points (most points). I understand that a person can drink one beer on get arrested for drunk driving. What I am stating is that I agree that a person in the medical field should have to answer to the Nursing board. For any drug or alcohol charge. The board doesn't just investigate drugs and alcohol but you must answer for any conviction. Because you have a conviction does not mean you lose your license, very few do. But you will show that you are clean and sober and capable of performing your responsibilities. Simply put...don't do wrong and then complain about the punishment. Don't try to justify your position by stating other crimes are just as bad or worse. I am a true believer that once you have served your punishment you should be free from it, why should it follow you all your life?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: I agree with both you and Mr. T on some points (most points). I understand that a person can drink one beer on get arrested for drunk driving. What I am stating is that I agree that a person in the medical field should have to answer to the Nursing board. For any drug or alcohol charge. The board doesn't just investigate drugs and alcohol but you must answer for any conviction. Because you have a conviction does not mean you lose your license, very few do. But you will show that you are clean and sober and capable of performing your responsibilities. Simply put...don't do wrong and then complain about the punishment. Don't try to justify your position by stating other crimes are just as bad or worse. I am a true believer that once you have served your punishment you should be free from it, why should it follow you all your life?

You know the laws, don't drink and drive, don't abuse drugs, don't abuse others or commit a battery. If you don't obey, then you have to pay the price. JUST SAY NO! A mistake is a mistake, but you made a choice to do the wrong thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danelle in Charlotte, North Carolina

62 months ago

Ohh I know that what I did on that night was wrong. I suffered the consequences greatly. It is absolutely within bounds to state that other crimes are treated with significantly less disdain even with an increased likely hood that other criminal activities such as speeding will cause an unwitting bystander some harm or even death. I think that it is within bounds to say that it is far easier to have a murder charge expunged from your record or in the very least reduced than it is to have a SIMPLE first offense DUI (again simple meaning there were no other factors involved causing harm to another individual) reduced or expunged. I believe that this crime is treated with in a manner completely out of alignment with fair judgement due to the politicizing of the crime by certain individuals who believe each case should not be handled as an individual case and instead any and all people charged with a DUI should be convicted, penalized and alienated in the exact same manner regardless of the individual circumstances. This coupled with the irrational reactionary responses of those with little understanding of statistical relevance has created an atmosphere of prejudice that would not be suffered under any other circumstances. There is no other non-violent charge in America that is handled in this manner. Not a single other infraction involving a legal substance is managed in a way that absolutely destroys the persons life and ruins any chance of absolution. I am not talking about the statistically few cases a year resulting in the untimely death of innocent people. Those who cause these deaths whether by speeding or intoxication should never be permitted behind the wheel of a vehicle again. Period. But not allowing a non-violent, victimless crime absolution is beyond heinous in fact it is cruel and unusual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: You know the laws, don't drink and drive, don't abuse drugs, don't abuse others or commit a battery. If you don't obey, then you have to pay the price. JUST SAY NO! A mistake is a mistake, but you made a choice to do the wrong thing.

Let he (or she) who has not sinned cast the first stone...I am sure your bag of stones is ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Danelle in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Let he (or she) who has not sinned cast the first stone...I am sure your bag of stones is ready.[/QUOTE
Sounds to like me you think because you were fortunate enough not to cause serious harm or death that you should not be looked at in the same way as a drunk driver who did cause harm. The law does not state, "drunk and driving which resulted in the death of someone". Did you not bother to hire a good lawyer, maybe get you charge reduced to reckless driving. Why shouldn't some one who caused a death never be permitted behind the wheel again...they just made a simple mistake, took a drink, drove a car, didn't react fast enough and killed the little old lady on the curb. Heck they didn't mean to do it. Do you understand how you sound. As I mentioned before, no, I don't think the charge should go against u for the rest of your life, yet the law was in effect before you committed the crime. Oh, and by the way, I did have a conviction immediately after graduation (no drinking or drugs) but fortunately I was able to have it removed from my record and suffered no ill effects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

1mrnurse in Corpus Christi, Texas

62 months ago

HellO: Well stated! 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

HellO: I respect the statement that you had a "conviction removed from your record; however for your peace of mind, go to your local police station and obtain your "arrest record." The arrest record is what the Board of Nurses and each prospective employer will see when you apply for a job. The arrest record is NEVER, NEVER amended,deleted, expunged or sealed. 1mrnurse

62 months ago

You know I have been told this...I had a fight with a former friend and beat her up ( not bad, but enough to let her know I am not one to play with) I am not proud of this am I am certainly not bragging. She pressed charges and I was arrested 2 months later and charged with assault and battery. I was taken to jail, finger printed, mug shot, posted a bond for $205. Went to court, plead not guilty (hey she provoked me, thought I wouldn't respond because I had just completed nursing school). The judge stated " pay a fine of $169, your $205 bond money will be held for the court appointed lawyer (someone has to pay for) and if you do not get any other charges in 6 months this charge will be removed. I was working as a Graduated nurse at the time under someone else license, took the boards three weeks later. I have had more jobs then I can count, my second year of being a nurse I had worked (or at least been hired, some I left after a few days)by 6 different employers. I now work for Three agencies and two employers PRN. I've had license in two different states because they are close together but one cannot practice in each state with the same license. Never ever has this showed on my police record, never have I been questioned about it and never has it caused me a job. The first time I listed it on a Nursing License application I simply wrote it was "DEFERRED" and no further questions were asked. Maybe because of the crime, maybe the class of the crime, I don't know. It does not show up, and several times I have requested a copy of my background check. In fact I just received one last month when I started for this third Agency...Nothing.

62 months ago

Well the number of deaths caused by mistakes made by RN's under the current regulations imposed upon them are 195,000/year and rising. The number of deaths caused by accidents where the actual driver of the vehicle was intoxicated that same year 3,972. The majority of alcohol related incidents are single vehicle, single occupant mva's. I am more likely to be killed by a sober nurse than by a drunk driver. Period. Those are irrefutable numbers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Danelle in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Well the number of deaths caused by mistakes made by RN's under the current regulations imposed upon them are 195,000/year and rising. The number of deaths caused by accidents where the actual driver of the vehicle was intoxicated that same year 3,972. The majority of alcohol related incidents are single vehicle, single occupant mva's. I am more likely to be killed by a sober nurse than by a drunk driver. Period. Those are irrefutable numbers.

Danelle, WHAT DO YOU WANT? I am so sorry you have to go through this but you broke the law. Sure their are other ways , plenty of other ways people can be harmed/killed. Heck, several times I went into work with no sleep for more than 16 hours, worked 20 hours, then drove on the highway 50-60 minutes to get home. I understood you to say, basically you were punished too harshly and the offense remains on your record, right? I agree, you should not be punished for the rest of your life. Are you a Nurse who is unable to find work because of this. This one arrest should not be keeping you from working. You are sorry right, you learned your lesson right, you'll never do it again right. That's what the man said after he shot his wife but didn't kill her...the next time he just took better aim. No, seriously, you have some valid points. So sorry you made that one bad decision and you can't get it behind you. But please let me know if this is keeping you from practicing or if you are just upset that this is on your record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

HellO: I just wanted to touch bases with you and share this interesting fact: when I was stationed in combat duty in Viet Nam I was initially denied "Secret Clearance" for combat radio messages because my mandatory Top Secret Clearance Check revealed that I had an over-due (not returned) library book from 3 years previously. I had to get my mother to appear in person and swear that I had returned the book to get my clearance resolved. 1mrnurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

1mrnurse in Corpus Christi, Texas said: HellO: I just wanted to touch bases with you and share this interesting fact: when I was stationed in combat duty in Viet Nam I was initially denied "Secret Clearance" for combat radio messages because my mandatory Top Secret Clearance Check revealed that I had an over-due (not returned) library book from 3 years previously. I had to get my mother to appear in person and swear that I had returned the book to get my clearance resolved. 1mrnurse

LOL that's one heck of a story. But, just goes to show some jobs have higher standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

HellO: I agree with you. 1mrnurse. P.S. That is a true story about the library book which I have used to show how one's actions can follow one through out life. slg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mister Tee in Binghamton, New York

62 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said:

Many of you guys are unaware that drinking and diving laws are different in every state. In some states you cannot plea bargain to reckless driving even with a lawyer. Another point is in law the more money you have the better help you get with a better lawyer being within reach because you can afford their rates. Look atMel Gibson who completely got his dwi taken after his probation. Many states don't offer that! There are a lot of shortcomings in this country when it comes to law and color. A fact that some folks just don't want to acknowledge. Did you know NY is one of the few states to charge you with a dwi related charge even if you BAC is below .08. The fact is some of you have tried to use the excuse that you endanger people's lives. Listen you can endanger anyone;s life in any profession.

Mr Nurse with regard to your issue....at least you were still given a chance to work in the army. Don't forget, you were still given a chance regardless of the severity of the crime. Unfortunately, in nursing you're not given a damn chance especially when doctors are. The reasoning is money...doctors pull more money than a nurse when it comes to hospital economics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

byling in Portland, Oregon

62 months ago

Isabel, go to CA nursing board site. Go read "conviction FAQ's". You may find it useful. If you still have questions, the best way is to call the board and ask. I believe only "convictions" will get you in trouble. But the board does check your "FBI identification record" also known as a "rap sheet". Anytime you've been fingerprinted or arrest, etc. it will be sent to the FBI. An "FBI identification record" will show all the way back to the day you're born, yep, that's including juvenile! The board will also do a state to state check on your criminal history, including arrests, etc. You should get a copy of your "FBI identification record" as well as "state criminal records" if you're curious. Please note that a "FBI file" is different from the "FBI identification record (rap sheet)". You may want both.

I remember the lady from the board came to our school and she stated that it's important to mention any arrest you ever had in your past, including juvenile, whether you were convicted or not, and also state how you've changed over the years. The lady said the board can be VERY forgiving if you have a clean record since the incident (depends how long ago was the incident) and show proof of your rehab if any. It also depends how severe your crime was......DUI is serious, in my opinion.

In OR, the boards want to know about arrest history regardless if you were convicted or not, but as I understood from CA board, they only want to know convictions, not arrests. Don't quote me on this, you should find out by calling the CA board. Good luck.

62 months ago

Manilaboy in Los Angeles, California said: i got charge of property theft in Cali while i was working as a cashier in a retail store 2 yrs. ago it was really stupid. I didn't even steal anything, i just rang a coworker knowing that he was changing prices on the items. It was really stupid of me for doing it and i learned my lesson.

My question is, once i get my misdemeanor expunged, do i still need to tell the RN Licencing Board about my arrest or will my misdemeanor record still show on the background check even though its been expunged?

Manilaboy, I believe you have to tell the boards even though your records are expunged. I read it somewhere that US government require any professional licensing agency to know about expunged records.

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey

62 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: My response was stemming from her comment " what ever happened to Nursing, no wonder their is a shortage, no wonder no one wants to do it". I took this as, she felt nurses are being monitored too strictly and where now they are being punished, before they were just sent home, or possibly terminated from one job but allowed to apply elsewhere. Why else would she write "no wonder no one wants to do it". Go back and read her comments, she tried to clean it up, but the damage was already done.

There was no damage done and I'm not trying to clean up anything. If a police officer and a judge and a doctor and a fireman and a pharmacist and a teacher and a train conductor and a manager and an ambulance driver can all get a DUI and not lose their profession, or have it reported, then why should nursing?
Because it's a female dominated profession whose members have sat back and allowed these regulations to enter their arena.
Things like losing ones license for a DUI while an MD doesn't is not only offensive to me but grossly unfair.
I stand by what I say, no wonder there's a nursing shortage.
GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

what about paramedics?
surgeons?
lab technicians?
xray techs?
Soldiers?

What other profession goes through this?
None that I can think of.
GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Especially the doctor.
You know, the leader of the pack should be the standard bearer, don't you think?
Not the long-suffering female nurse many steps beneath him.
It smacks of sexism.
It's not as if a nurse's job is more important than a doctor's, right???
C'mon, common sense needs to prevail here.

I have no problem with punishments etc, but dammit, the doctor better be suffering the same as the nurse, at the very least.
Or so I believe.

GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

And now that I've gotten myself all aggravated and there's no one here to talk to, I'll go and apply for Obama Money for medical billing and coding school...

I'm sure I'm coming off with a nasty attitude, but it's not the oddity amongst 'retired' nurses in my age bracket. These issues, along with the unceasing rigidity of the profession makes it ever harder to imagine choosing it.
We live in an era of children in workplace daycares, flex schedules, time off for sick kids, and nursing does not allow for any of that. There's not one nurse I know who left for childrearing because they were getting in trouble for being out sick for a child's chicken pox etc.
It is not a good career choice for a working mother, or a single mother, or for anyone who has a priority list involving things other than the job.
It's not flexible.
It's a Giving profession, which is exhausting at times.
Strict adherence to heirarchy is required.
The Doctor is Almighty.
The work load can change all the time, and usually does.
The job itself gives the nurse the power to kill and great care must be given to practicing this craft conscientiously as mistakes can be deadly.
There is little margin for error, and none on some things.
The fellow nurse does not ever have your back, it is a profession where everyone's license is on the line, so everyone has their own back only.
It's female dominated and therefore catty.
It's filled with the drama of interpersonal garbage and lots of emoting.
You quickly outgrow the desire to change the world by channeling your inner Florence Nightingale.

I am way too jaded to be reentering this profession, aren't I?
GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tuscand@netzero.com in Saint Petersburg, Florida

62 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: And now that I've gotten myself all aggravated and there's no one here to talk to, I'll go and apply for Obama Money for medical billing and coding school...

I'm sure I'm coming off with a nasty attitude, but it's not the oddity amongst 'retired' nurses in my age bracket.
We live in an era of children in workplace daycares, flex schedules, time off for sick kids, and nursing does not allow for any of that. There's not one nurse I know who left for childrearing because they were getting in trouble for being out sick for a child's chicken pox etc.
It is not a good career choice for a working mother, or a single mother, or for anyone who has a priority list involving things other than the job.
It's not flexible.
The Doctor is Almighty.
The job itself gives the nurse the power to kill and great care must be given to practicing this craft conscientiously as mistakes can be deadly.
The fellow nurse does not ever have your back, it is a profession where everyone's license is on the line, so everyone has their own back only.

You quickly outgrow the desire to change the world by channeling your inner Florence Nightingale.

GG

You sound like it. There are hospitals that have "in house daycare" including sick child care. There do exist some units, especially the ICU's that do not constantly change the nurses assignment. There are nurses who support one another, demonstrating that we can be advocates for fellow nurses.

Doctors are not immune to corrective measures. They too can have their butts on the line.

I am in a difficult situation myself, with my career ( which has spanned 27 years).I choose to be positive rather then negative. Life is too short.

62 months ago

I'm trying to see all angles because I'm studying for the boards again, which is an undertaking, to say the least. So, I'm forced to explore if I really want to do it or not.
Half of licensed nurses in the US work in hospitals, the other half work everywhere else. 20% of those in hospitals quit after the first year and move to those other areas.
Retention rate is low, and even the high pay is no longer a big enough draw.

I don't know of any MD who gets a DUI on a Saturday night and loses his license to be a doctor. The AMA is not interested in his DUI, nor does it matter.

I think often of a story I heard on another forum recently. A nurse had 2 glasses of wine at home and then got a phone call from her 13 year old daughter who was outside a church, having been ditched by her ride. The only person there was the caretaker, a man.
The Mom couldn't get the girl a ride home, it was after 9 at night, and she was uncomfortable with the girl being alone with a caretaker, standing outside.
She drove to get her daughter (no cab service), and got a DUI.
Did she make the right call here? 2 glasses of wine is all it takes.
I don't think I would have done anything differently than she did.

I think a DUI on your personal time shouldn't be an issue. Drugged up at work? That's a totally different story.

The profession appears to be rigid still. I ended my career in the home care setting as a hospice nurse, which at least got me away from the facility and all its BS, and allowed for some minor flexibility in that if I needed to get home for some kid thing, I could as long as my visits were completed.
The 50% of nurses who are not working at a big hospital with daycare benefits and flex schedule options are trudging along, same as 20 years ago.
It's a tough call. I find I am thinking about things like "Why do you want to go back into this environment at your age?" Once you're out of it, going back requires some real reality thinking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tuscand@netzero.com in Saint Petersburg, Florida

62 months ago

It's a tough call. I find I am thinking about things like "Why do you want to go back into this environment at your age?" Once you're out of it, going back requires

So why are you considering going back into the nursing field? Go back and read the things you have said about nursing. Perhaps coding and billing is more likely to make you happy.

For me, serving others as a nurse, is a gift from God. So it is well worth the hassles attached.

Again I say, life is too short. Get into something you enjoy.

62 months ago

I don't think there's a nursing shortage. It almost seems like a myth sometimes. May be back then but not now. Seems like nurses are finding it hard these days to get a job, especially because of the bad economy and being a new grad with no CNA or medical experience.

Doctors could have a DUI and get away with it because it takes so many years to get their doctor's degree and to lose a job over a DUI will put many patients at risk if the doctor leaves. But a nurse can always be replace because hundreds of nurses graduate every year. They say the higher your degree, the more protection you get, and the more you could get away with things. May be true in this case.

62 months ago

I agree with you totally, except that there is a nursing shortage, which will only get worse as the babyboomers continue to age out. The oldest of them are in their early 60's, the youngest are us in our early 50's.
The shortage means that no one will hire a new grad with no experience because she/he will be entering a field where having a double caseload is to be expected, therefore the risk of error is extraordinarily high.
It's also the reason a lot of nurses like me don't want to go back to work so much.....I have no interest in doing double duty with no end in sight. Instead, older nurses are going into longterm care, homecare, MD offices, schools etc, where the workload is not only easier but the work environment is more conducive to happiness and fulfillment.
The longer it takes for new grads to be hired the more the chance they will move on to another line of work.

kitkat in Elkton, Maryland

61 months ago

Hey Garden Girl I am reading your posts and they are very interesting. I just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine just took a nurse refresher course--she has been out of nursing since 1979 and everyone is treating her like a new Grad--they are not taking into account her past ICU experience--basically she is having to start over again.

61 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: And now that I've gotten myself all aggravated and there's no one here to talk to, I'll go and apply for Obama Money for medical billing and coding school...

I'm sure I'm coming off with a nasty attitude, but it's not the oddity amongst 'retired' nurses in my age bracket. These issues, along with the unceasing rigidity of the profession makes it ever harder to imagine choosing it.
It's not flexible.
It's a Giving profession, which is exhausting at times.
Strict adherence to heirarchy is required.
The Doctor is Almighty.
It's female dominated and therefore catty.
It's filled with the drama of interpersonal garbage and lots of emoting.

GG

YEP!!

waggie57 in Nutley, New Jersey

61 months ago

BabyFuzz in Southfield, Michigan said: I'm curious about something. I have been out of nursing for almost 13 years now--yiii!! Since that time, I have managed to acquire some very painful arthritis and am on medications prescribed for me by a doctor at a well-known, above-board pain clinic. I realize that there will be u/a's done. I will fully and honestly disclose everything I am taking--It's not that much, but one is a Schedule II med and one is a Schedule III med. If I fully disclose prior to the testing what I am taking, LEGALLY can they stop me from being employed as a nurse? I have been on these meds now for years, have not increased any dosages (have had u/s's done at the pain clinic and everything comes out as it should). I'm concerned about this but because I have been on them for years, I feel only better pain-wise after taking the meds as prescribed and have never (not even in the very beginning) felt any excitation or any other "feeling" from my meds. What do you think? I think I am a really good nurse and these meds will hopefully allow me to work again. Without them, I might as well just watch TV all day as I am good for nothing. I have recently taken a refresher course (CEN) for my speciality area which is the ER and got my BLS which is good for two years. I am hoping to get a job where ACLS is required of course but that the institution I work for will pay for it. (hopefully). That's my story, what does anyone think? Thank you, Fuzz

Carefull BabyFuzz, state to state, things can differ alot, state to state, your right to drive a car , much less practice nursing can be challenged and suspended even

61 months ago

HellO: of course there is no legal restriction from nursing employment when taking RX strength pain meds; however please be sure to seek the type of nursing that would more closely suite a nurse who is taking these meds. For example, you would not be at peak performance in surgery, O.B., E.R or critical care. It is about taking care of them first, not us first. 1mrnurse

v1v in Norristown, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

Tim in Binghamton, New York said: I have been convicted of a dwai and marijuana possession in nys and a dwi in nj. I am graduating from Binghamton University 2009, but I contacted the NYS board and they informed me as long it is not a misdeamnor or felony, I don't have to list it on my RN license application. The only problem is getting hired becasue it depends on the hospital.

DWI is a misdemeanor,isn't??? Anyway I have almost the same problem and I would like to get my license in NY. Did you get it?

Tim in Binghamton, New York

61 months ago

v1v in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: DWI is a misdemeanor,isn't??? Anyway I have almost the same problem and I would like to get my license in NY. Did you get it?

Not yet...I have to show documentation and provide proof of counseling. I still have to appear before the board and answer questions. If they are satisfied, then and only then will I be granted a license. Im looking at other states for licensure. How is PA?

61 months ago

Tim in Binghamton, New York said: Not yet...I have to show documentation and provide proof of counseling. I still have to appear before the board and answer questions. If they are satisfied, then and only then will I be granted a license. Im looking at other states for licensure. How is PA?

Even worth:( From what I heard, I don't even want to bother. I called NY state board and they said NO PROBLEMS with 2 DUI's. They said, "We concerned about people with violent crimes and child abuse." Seems like they giving you a hard time, so I will have to go through the same stuff. When you graduated and when did you get in troubles?

Spyydaman in Whittier, California

61 months ago

I got a DUI back in february. I have been practising nursing for the last three year. I have to renew my license by February 28 2010 with the California BRN. Just send in my application. Really worried about what will happen, any similar experiences?. Do you think I will get my license back ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

v1v in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Even worth:( From what I heard, I don't even want to bother. I called NY state board and they said NO PROBLEMS with 2 DUI's. They said, "We concerned about people with violent crimes and child abuse." Seems like they giving you a hard time, so I will have to go through the same stuff. When you graduated and when did you get in troubles?

I graduated in May 2009. I got a DWAI in NY back in 2003 and then I got a DWI in New Jersey. Im sort of lucky because the Dwai in Ny is a traffic infraction and the DWI iin NJ is a traffic violation. I received my ATT but the problem is getting a GN/RN position. Though we will get licensed after passing the NLCEX, the problem is that many hospitals wont hire you with a DWI. At least the date of the incident should've been more than 4 years accoring to a friend in HR who works with a hospital that I applied to. I had clincials in two hospitals neaby and I got interviewed by the nurse manager on 3 differnt units. They told me Im bascially hired. The only thing I had to do was bring my application to HR, but thats where the problem is. I cant even get past them. The problem has to do with a liability issue in lawsuits (But who is say even if they put curbs on malpractice lawsuits would the issue change.) Im so pissed because judge me on my job performance not on my social life. Its so easy to get a DWI these days, not like in the 80's (most of the nurses who are against nurses and DWI's are a lot older). Technology and laws have changed. President Bush was able to get his DWI EXPUNGED in Texas but the law changed immediately afterwards which effectively barred DWI's from being removed from your record. So to some folks on this forum who object to nurses and DWI's.....we had a president who was convicted of a DWI and the lives of millions of Americans (ALL AMERICANS) were in his hand. Reflect on that, especailly you 1mrnurse!

61 months ago

Sory for the grammatical and spelling mistakes...that's why proofreading is so important lol

61 months ago

HellO: Please don't rely on inexact information. Find a qualified legal person in your state for exact legal information. Youn owe this to yourself. 1mrnurse

61 months ago

Tim in Binghamton, New York said: I graduated in May 2009. I got a DWAI in NY back in 2003 and then I got a DWI in New Jersey. Im sort of lucky because the Dwai in Ny is a traffic infraction and the DWI iin NJ is a traffic violation. I received my ATT but the problem is getting a GN/RN position.... The problem has to do with a liability issue in lawsuits (But who is say even if they put curbs on malpractice lawsuits would the issue change.) Im so pissed because judge me on my job performance not on my social life. QUOTE]

Tim the answer to why nurses are being hounded to death about these past offenses is right in your own words--Lawyers and Lawsuits!!!!Believe it or not over 30 years ago I had a Trespasing charge as a 14 year old that I now find will be used against me---Guess what? I have to pay a lawyer 2500 to get rid of a juvie charge that shouldn't even be listed on my record. Why? Because Politicans protect lawyers thats why. When I called the court to find out why a record that should be sealed was listed on my CORI the girl admitted that it should be gone but....maybe I should get a lawyer. Yeah right!! Maybe you should contact the Democrats in Congress and tell them to stop protecting the LAWYERS and taking big bucks from their lobbies--Maybe then this will stop-- until then get used to being used like a whipping post.

61 months ago

Wow, I feel even worth now:( I had one in 2006 and it was expunged. I got my second 4 weeks ago. Went to celebrate wonderful grades on the exams (stupid). I can't justify myself, b/c it is totally my fault. I have one semester to go and then I will have to deal not only with the board but also with people in school who think that I am such a nice person with great potential. And I am, my problem is as I realized... I can't drink period. I don't even know what to say, walking like a zombie. Trying to do good things (AA, canceling, rehab during the winter), the problem is- nobody give a s...! Good for me though.
Tim I agree with you. By the way, try to get a job in rehab.......they don't have problem hiring people with convictions. I know someone who had 6 DUI's total, hard to believe but that person taking prerequisites and going to the NS next year ACCEPTED. How about that? So, I guess everything is possible, it is definitely much harder with conviction but possible.

61 months ago

See? What did I tell you? This profession is so restrictive it really is a wonder anyone enters it.
And someone upthread was right when they mentioned it wasn't like this in the '80's. Back then, you're off time was your own. Back then, if you got a DWI on vacation, and were not drunk on the job, it was no one's business.
I still think it should be.
I still think male-dominated professions don't allow for such restrictions.
I still think nursing is this way because the women who dominate it sat back and let it just steamroll right over them.
The restrictions are not only disgraceful, but speak to the weakness of women, which offends me to no end.

I am further astounded by nurses on this board who actually think that somehow a nurse must have a flawless life outside of her job because she does such important, life-saving stuff, and that she must be held to a higher accountability than the doctor who's orders she follows without question!
EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

GG

tuscan in Pinellas Park, Florida

61 months ago

Something is wrong with this picture. When did getting numberous DUI's become a social activity? At least v1v in Norris town made mention of counciling, rehab and AA. Perhaps rather then complaining about and blaming others, the remedy to a tough situation is to look at ones' self first as that is the only person you can change. If I were on a board that allowed licensing, I would be more sympathatic to someone who came before me with a humbled and contrite heart then one who is quick to blame others for their actions.

61 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: See? What did I tell you? This profession is so restrictive it really is a wonder anyone enters it.
And someone upthread was right when they mentioned it wasn't like this in the '80's. Back then, you're off time was your own. Back then, if you got a DWI on vacation, and were not drunk on the job, it was no one's business.
I still think it should be.
I still think male-dominated professions don't allow for such restrictions.
I still think nursing is this way because the women who dominate it sat back and let it just steamroll right over them.
The restrictions are not only disgraceful, but speak to the weakness of women, which offends me to no end.

I am further astounded by nurses on this board who actually think that somehow a nurse must have a flawless life outside of her job because she does such important, life-saving stuff, and that she must be held to a higher accountability than the doctor who's orders she follows without question!
EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

GG

I agree!!! It really got to me when I picked up the paper the other day and read where the DOCTOR that gave Michael Jackson the Propenol that caused his death is back to work at his Texas Cardiology clinic---Now let me see--I am denied a job because at 14 I was picked up with my friends at the Mall and charged with trespassing because we were loitering inside because of a snowstorm outside--and DR. Murray kills someone and he is allowed to practice---RIGHT!!!
It is because Nurses have allowed themselves to be steamrolled and abused by the system. Kind of like how the ANA comes out and says ALL Nurses are for universal healthcare--Speak for yourself ANA.

61 months ago

kitkat in Elkton, Maryland said: I agree!!! It really got to me when I picked up the paper the other day and read where the DOCTOR that gave Michael Jackson the Propenol that caused his death is back to work at his Texas Cardiology clinic---Now let me see--I am denied a job because at 14 I was picked up with my friends at the Mall and charged with trespassing because we were loitering inside because of a snowstorm outside--and DR. Murray kills someone and he is allowed to practice---RIGHT!!!
It is because Nurses have allowed themselves to be steamrolled and abused by the system. Kind of like how the ANA comes out and says ALL Nurses are for universal healthcare--Speak for yourself ANA.

I can agree with you on your charge, especially at the age of 14. I do however think this is different than drunk driving. Remember, you don't necessarily lose your license but you may have to jump through some hoops. Every situation is different, but you can't commit a crime then complain that you are punished.

61 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: I can agree with you on your charge, especially at the age of 14. I do however think this is different than drunk driving. Remember, you don't necessarily lose your license but you may have to jump through some hoops. Every situation is different, but you can't commit a crime then complain that you are punished.

I didn't commit a crime--I was never convicted of it--they just never got around to dropping it from their rap sheet--I have traveled all over the world--been cleared by the secret service to shoot a news conference with Pres Bush the elder and yet now the nursing profession looks down its nose at me--I don't think so!!!Maybe I wasted 4 years of my life going to school for this nonsense but I'll tell you--nursing is missing out by judging me--NO Comment about Dr. Murray? Does anyone with common sense see the double standard here?

61 months ago

Yes, I do see the double standard. I should not have posted my full comment behind your comment because It was not fully directed at you. I think in your case you are getting a BAD rap.

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey

61 months ago

I wouldnt say that you are jaded,Garden Girl, you are frustrated. I have been in a treatment program for over three years now. I want to go back to work as an LPN. But I havent worked since March of 04, so I now have to retake my boards. In NJ they have a program called RAMP that nurses have to do if deemed necessary, for things like DUI's and drug abuse. I am hoping I wont have to enroll because it is 5 years at 100$ per month. I never went to work impaired. But I have had DUI"s. If I am forced into this program I may just forget about the entire nursing thing. I am sober and have been for over a year. I even had to do jail time for my DUI"s. I think I have been punished enough. I am still in my treatment program, because I am also an abuse survivor, and have severe PTSD, and Major depression. Because of my disabilties, it would be impossible for me to do everything that this program requires. So hang in there, at least all you have to do is retake your boards, I have this and more to deal with, just to earn a paycheck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Hi Diane,
Well, you did shut me up and get me off my frustrating soap box. I suppose, at the end of the day, I really don't want to go back to work at all, let alone as an RN, but the economy dictates that I do and I really can't see going to work at WalMart when I can make so much more money.
I walked away 15 years ago and don't want to go back.
I want to do something else.
I just don't know what!

I am frustrated FOR you too tho. I think it sucks that this is not only held over your head but even any of their business. It's not the same as doing drugs at work or stealing them etc.
Gosh, if you get a DWI on your own time.....who the F#&% Cares!!!

Sorry, back on the box again.....
I'm back to being angry at the profession along with myself having to go back into it.

Sigh.
Do you think it is doable for you? It sounds so daunting. Maybe you should look into the coding and billing course, there's tons of money in it and it's a lot less stress.
GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey

61 months ago

Hi Thanks for responding. I have a job coach at my treatment program, plus the help of DVR, which helps people with disabilities return back to the work place. I think it is doable, but it will take time. I wasnt even working when I got those DUI's. I was in an ausive relationship and truned to alcohol for comfort. I get tested randomly for drugs and alcohol at my program and never have I had a postive result. I collect SSDI, but I think I would love to go back to work part-time at least. This would be very healing for me as well as knowing I can survive. I think the process will take me about a year to complete, but I am going to try to do it one step at a time. I think it should be my business, as I never have had a bad work eval or disciplinary action on the job. But as you say, Nurses have let this all happen to our profession, and the RAMP program is run by Nusres. I could understand it, if I had stolen drugs from the job, or went to work impaired, but neither is the case for me.

pam w in Fallbrook, California

61 months ago

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey said: Hi Thanks for responding. I have a job coach at my treatment program, plus the help of DVR, which helps people with disabilities return back to the work place. I think it is doable, but it will take time. I wasnt even working when I got those DUI's. I was in an ausive relationship and truned to alcohol for comfort. I get tested randomly for drugs and alcohol at my program and never have I had a postive result. I collect SSDI, but I think I would love to go back to work part-time at least. This would be very healing for me as well as knowing I can survive. I think the process will take me about a year to complete, but I am going to try to do it one step at a time. I think it should be my business, as I never have had a bad work eval or disciplinary action on the job. But as you say, Nurses have let this all happen to our profession, and the RAMP program is run by Nusres. I could understand it, if I had stolen drugs from the job, or went to work impaired, but neither is the case for me.

Could you understand it if you had killed someone when you made the decision to drive drunk not once but several times? I can't believe what I am reading.

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina

61 months ago

We all make poor decisions every day. Many of the choices we make increase the probability of causing someone else harm or even death. Many of these choices are far more deadly statistically than alcohol. Alcohol is a hot button issue and it is terribly easy for those of underwhelming intelligence to trump up the risks of DUI in an effort to black list anyone who has ever been convicted of this traffic violation. If I have a pool in my back yard I am a far greater risk to children however if a child dies in my pool I can still get a job. Driving while intoxicated is wrong just as wrong as speeding or driving while tired or driving while eating, texting, talking on the phone, fighting with a significant other, petting the dog etc. Driving is dangerous period but again if you kill someone driving while changing the radio station (this happens more than you think) your life is not over. It is still sad...families still lose their loved ones but the person who committed the crime of driving while not paying attention (eyes off the road is a bit of an impairment if you ask me)those folks walk back into their lives with a ton of personal guilt but at least the ability to put food on their families tables. I cannot believe that so many nurses are so illogical. It is really pretty indicative of the level of education and intelligence expected by the profession. I am sure that the fact that tired albeit sober nurses making mistakes are far more deadly than drunk drivers to the innocent.

Punishment for a DUI should constitute removal of driving privileges, community service and if needed counseling. Punishment should not include an irrational black listing from society by those who chose to judge unwittingly those others who happened to make a different (no more deadly)mistake than they make every time they drive 65 in a 45 (or 35 in a 25). Maybe I'll opt for law instead...at least the grammar is better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina

61 months ago

Correction...It is really pretty indicative of the level of education and intelligence expected by the profession. I am sure that the fact that tired albeit sober nurses making mistakes are far more deadly than drunk drivers to the innocent will fall on deaf ears.

(Sorry did not realize it will automatically start abridging once the character count is exceeded...)

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.