DWI and CORI check

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 440)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

pam w in Fallbrook, California

57 months ago

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Correction...It is really pretty indicative of the level of education and intelligence expected by the profession. I am sure that the fact that tired albeit sober nurses making mistakes are far more deadly than drunk drivers to the innocent will fall on deaf ears.

(Sorry did not realize it will automatically start abridging once the character count is exceeded...)

Drunk driving is far more dangerous than speeding and it is against the law. If you decide to get behind the wheel drunk, then you decide to take to consequences if you kill someone or get caught, ie: losing your license, going to jail, etc... I get so tired of people doing something they know is wrong and then complaining when they must own up to the responsiblility. In this day and age, there is no excuse for driving under the influence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey

57 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: Could you understand it if you had killed someone when you made the decision to drive drunk not once but several times? I can't believe what I am reading.

Which has WHAT to do with her job? Can you name a profession where it's OK to get a DWI off-the-clock? Because, it seems to me that your feelings should extend to every job, no?
If anyone gets a DWI, then they can't work.
How does that sound?
Is OK for bankers, who hold your money? Or, how about teachers that teach your kids, or even you in nursing school for that matter. Because right now it's fine if they get DWI's. Certainly you can't feel that nursing is THE most important profession in the world, can you?
What job is OK exactly?
Give me a break. Your job owns you when you're on the clock.
That's it.
This is America.

GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Hear Hear, DVO!!
Well said, all of it.

GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey

57 months ago

I would just like to say, I paid my debt to society. The reason it happened more than once is because I was being beaten by my ex-husband and often had to leave or die. I was never involved in any accidents and I resent the fact that some of the people on here are so judgemental. I just want to be back to work. Sure I vcould sit around collecting my SSDI for the rest of my life, but why should I? I graduated 2nd in my class and I got a 738 out of 750 on my State Boards. I always got excellent work evals, and my patients always loved me. I am a fine LPN, if I do say so myself. What about the ones out there who give poor job performances? Are they punished and banned, NO. They are left to continue on in their negligence and many have died because of them and everyone here knows this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California

57 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: Which has WHAT to do with her job? Can you name a profession where it's OK to get a DWI off-the-clock? Because, it seems to me that your feelings should extend to every job, no?
If anyone gets a DWI, then they can't work.
How does that sound?
Is OK for bankers, who hold your money? Or, how about teachers that teach your kids, or even you in nursing school for that matter. Because right now it's fine if they get DWI's. Certainly you can't feel that nursing is THE most important profession in the world, can you?
What job is OK exactly?
Give me a break. Your job owns you when you're on the clock.
That's it.
This is America.

GG

As a nurse, you hold a license to take care of the public. It is for the safety of the public that someone with a criminal background does not get to practice or at least should prove that they are not a danger to the public if they have broken a law and been convicted. Give me a break, do you want criminals taking care of you or loved ones? Driving drunk is a serious offense that kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people every day. You choose to do it, then you choose take the consequences and thank your lucky stars if all that happended to you is you lost your nursing license and not your life or someone elses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: Drunk driving is far more dangerous than speeding and it is against the law. If you decide to get behind the wheel drunk, then you decide to take to consequences if you kill someone or get caught, ie: losing your license, going to jail, etc... I get so tired of people doing something they know is wrong and then complaining when they must own up to the responsiblility. In this day and age, there is no excuse for driving under the influence.

You should try walking a mile in my shoes. You know, I have did jail time longer then people convictd of robbery, and assault. I did 180 hours of community service. I paid over 4,500.00 in fines and I have to pay over 30,000.00 in surcharges to the State of NJ. Not to mention that I will more than likely never drive again. I have done all of this, and I do not complain. I have owned up and taken responsibilty for my actions. I also pay alot of child support since My ex won custody of our children thanks to my having to do jail time. If you dont think that I dont kick my own a@# everyday, then I will tell you now. I regret everything that happened and I am Grateful to my Higher Power I did NOT kill anyone. But I did hurt myself and my children, all 5 of them! I was homeless over all of this. How would you like to have to eat out of the trash because of a mistake you made? Would you have even survived? I think not, with your Higher than Thou attitude! I just want to get my life back? Even people convicted of Manslaughter can do this, why not I.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California said: As a nurse, you hold a license to take care of the public. It is for the safety of the public that someone with a criminal background does not get to practice or at least should prove that they are not a danger to the public if they have broken a law and been convicted. Give me a break, do you want criminals taking care of you or loved ones? Driving drunk is a serious offense that kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people every day. You choose to do it, then you choose take the consequences and thank your lucky stars if all that happended to you is you lost your nursing license and not your life or someone elses.

Drunk Driving is not a criminal charge in NJ. I have never commited any type of crime that would jeopardize a patient in my charge. I will NOT continue to defend myself here, but I will add I already had a hearing in front of the NJ Board of Nursing. They deemed me fit to work. I do not drink or do anything that would impair me. All I have to do now is re-take my boards and I had 18 solid years with a spotless work record, so this is the reason I will fight to get back what I deserve. You are the kind of nurse I would not want taking care of me if I were ill. You are too judgemental and self-rightious. I guess when you see the DX ETOH you think that this person does not deserve treatment because they deserve to be ill? Oh yeah, I have seen your type many times more than I would care to and it is disgusting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey said: I would just like to say, I paid my debt to society. The reason it happened more than once is because I was being beaten by my ex-husband and often had to leave or die. I was never involved in any accidents and I resent the fact that some of the people on here are so judgemental. I just want to be back to work. Sure I vcould sit around collecting my SSDI for the rest of my life, but why should I? I graduated 2nd in my class and I got a 738 out of 750 on my State Boards. I always got excellent work evals, and my patients always loved me. I am a fine LPN, if I do say so myself. What about the ones out there who give poor job performances? Are they punished and banned, NO. They are left to continue on in their negligence and many have died because of them and everyone here knows this.

I am sure you are a good nurse, that is not the point. I am not judgeing you. I just feel that dui is very serious and especially because it has happened more than once, you chose to drink and drive and now accept the consequence which includes losing you license to practice and really having to work hard to get it back. It's a learning experience and you are damn lucky not to have been killed or have killed anyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California said: As a nurse, you hold a license to take care of the public. It is for the safety of the public that someone with a criminal background does not get to practice or at least should prove that they are not a danger to the public if they have broken a law and been convicted. Give me a break, do you want criminals taking care of you or loved ones? Driving drunk is a serious offense that kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people every day. You choose to do it, then you choose take the consequences and thank your lucky stars if all that happended to you is you lost your nursing license and not your life or someone elses.

Fair enough. But, how come the police man that arrests the drunk-driver can have his own DWI and not have it reported to his job, etc? He has a responsibility to take care of the public too, doesn't he? And, he carries a gun!! What about a fireman? Paramedic?
The point of this is that nursing is a women's only profession pretty much and therefore it is more than strange that all the men's professions haven't gotten around to enacting these stringint rules.
I daresay they wouldn't stand for it, would they?

GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: Drunk driving is far more dangerous than speeding and it is against the law. If you decide to get behind the wheel drunk, then you decide to take to consequences if you kill someone or get caught, ie: losing your license, going to jail, etc... I get so tired of people doing something they know is wrong and then complaining when they must own up to the responsiblility. In this day and age, there is no excuse for driving under the influence.

You are absolutely incorrect in saying that speeding is less dangerous than drunk driving. Nobody is making an excuse for driving under the influence. I am saying that it is irrational to say that being charged with a traffic infraction should be used against you when applying for a job. I also think that people who have make assumptions based on emotionally reactive politically charged hogwash should not be allowed to vote but that is just me. Under your rationale you are saying that nurses should never put people in danger. I say show me a nurse that does not have a speeding ticket. It takes the same exact lack of concern for others to speed as it does to drink however the social stigma is out of balance because of wacko MADD mothers. The founder of MADD left the organization because it became an out of control entity hell bent on ruining the lives of average law abiding citizens. You are one of the usual suspects who drinks the government Koolaid...congratulations on not thinking for yourself and choosing to socially lynch a ever increasing segment of the population who's lives have been ruined by your style of irrational governance. No worries though as soon enough the percentage of folks with Dewey's will be greater than those without...then we can vote for speeders to be incarcerated, shamed and made social outcasts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Pam Quote...Driving drunk is a serious offense that kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people every day. You choose to do it, then you choose take the consequences and thank your lucky stars if all that happended to you is you lost your nursing license and not your life or someone elses....

Also really please check your numbers...there is nothing more hideously inane than a person who uses the term thousands upon thousands. Most drunk driving accidents are single vehicle mva's. The usually death/injury (despite folklore) is the drunk driver (You would be amazed at the % of "alcohol related deaths" occur from drunk walking and these are included in the numbers used by MADD and morons). This is not to say that driving around blown to the hilt on wacky weed and silly sauce is the thing to do however it is the irrational, numerically challenged sorts who cause certain segments of society to be unfairly ostracized, penalized and black listed. This is a traffic infraction much like speeding. It is illegal and when someone dies because of your actions it should be criminal. You never hear someone say "Did you hear Sue got a speeding ticket 85 in a 45...she should be fired for lacking moral turpitude since the probability of killing yourself or someone else increases exponentially with every mile over the speed limit you travel...How horribly irresponsible" Pshaw...never heard it and never will. So many bankers in my town have Dewey's they throw 1st timer parties for them. It has become a joke because of folks like you. Now 2 beers at dinner and a well positioned police cruiser and you buy yourself 3 hots and a cot until your attorney shows up. So keep up the bad math and righteous indignation it looks good with white or so I have heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: Fair enough. But, how come the police man that arrests the drunk-driver can have his own DWI and not have it reported to his job, etc? He has a responsibility to take care of the public too, doesn't he? And, he carries a gun!! What about a fireman? Paramedic?
The point of this is that nursing is a women's only profession pretty much and therefore it is more than strange that all the men's professions haven't gotten around to enacting these stringint rules.
I daresay they wouldn't stand for it, would they?

GG

Oh lord!!

57 months ago

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina said: You are absolutely incorrect in saying that speeding is less dangerous than drunk driving. Nobody is making an excuse for driving under the influence. I am saying that it is irrational to say that being charged with a traffic infraction should be used against you when applying for a job. I also think that people who have make assumptions based on emotionally reactive politically charged hogwash should not be allowed to vote but that is just me. Under your rationale you are saying that nurses should never put people in danger. I say show me a nurse that does not have a speeding ticket. It takes the same exact lack of concern for others to speed as it does to drink however the social stigma is out of balance because of wacko MADD mothers. The founder of MADD left the organization because it became an out of control entity hell bent on ruining the lives of average law abiding citizens. You are one of the usual suspects who drinks the government Koolaid...congratulations on not thinking for yourself and choosing to socially lynch a ever increasing segment of the population who's lives have been ruined by your style of irrational governance. No worries though as soon enough the percentage of folks with Dewey's will be greater than those without...then we can vote for speeders to be incarcerated, shamed and made social outcasts.

First of all, of course doubling the speed limit is dangerous and you shouldn't do that either, let's not make silly comparisons. I find it very scary that someone such as yourself thinks drinking and driving isn't that big of a deal. Nurses are supposed to protect life, not endanger it. If you decide to take a drink and then drive is shows poor judgement and little concern for the safety of others. Nurses should be better than that if you take pride in nursing, then you are a nurse 24/7 not just on the clock. It is illegal and rightly so do drive while intoxicated so just don't do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Pam Quote...Driving drunk is a serious offense that kills thousands upon thousands of innocent people every day. You choose to do it, then you choose take the consequences and thank your lucky stars if all that happended to you is you lost your nursing license and not your life or someone elses....

Also really please check your numbers...there is nothing more hideously inane than a person who uses the term thousands upon thousands. Most drunk driving accidents are single vehicle mva's. The usually death/injury (despite folklore) is the drunk driver (You would be amazed at the % of "alcohol related deaths" occur from drunk walking and these are included in the numbers used by MADD and morons). This is not to say that driving around blown to the hilt on wacky weed and silly sauce is the thing to do however it is the irrational, numerically challenged sorts who cause certain segments of society to be unfairly ostracized, penalized and black listed. This is a traffic infraction much like speeding. It is illegal and when someone dies because of your actions it should be criminal. You never hear someone say "Did you hear Sue got a speeding ticket 85 in a 45...she should be fired for lacking moral turpitude since the probability of killing yourself or someone else increases exponentially with every mile over the speed limit you travel...How horribly irresponsible" Pshaw...never heard it and never will. So many bankers in my town have Dewey's they throw 1st timer parties for them. It has become a joke because of folks like you. Now 2 beers at dinner and a well positioned police cruiser and you buy yourself 3 hots and a cot until your attorney shows up. So keep up the bad math and righteous indignation it looks good with white or so I have heard.

So sad, I will pray for you and hope to god that you never lose a loved one to a drunk driver. My heart goes out to all mothers who have lost a child to a drunk driver.

57 months ago

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California said: First of all, of course doubling the speed limit is dangerous and you shouldn't do that either, let's not make silly comparisons. I find it very scary that someone such as yourself thinks drinking and driving isn't that big of a deal. Nurses are supposed to protect life, not endanger it. If you decide to take a drink and then drive is shows poor judgement and little concern for the safety of others. Nurses should be better than that if you take pride in nursing, then you are a nurse 24/7 not just on the clock. It is illegal and rightly so do drive while intoxicated so just don't do it.

I never said it is not a big deal. I stated that the manner in which people convicted of the crime are treated by others who also break the law in ways which are equally devastating to the families of those lost is insanely, outrageously inconsistent with logic. If you truly believe your own words that a person who has made a mistake in the past that did not but could have maybe had a slim chance of killing someone even if the person has changed or never showed a pattern that would identify them as having a problem should not be allowed to be a part of the nursing profession then I say we saint all nurses. Even the angels sinned against God my friend and the Christ you pray to was himself tempted by Satan in the desert so save your prayers for those who have not read the bible cover to cover. It is not your place to judge if you truly are Christian and every man has the right to be forgiven and move on to sin no more...but what good is the bible when you can create your own world of self righteousness and exclusionary self soothing myths of supremacy...By the way when people say I will pray it not happen to you I know deep down in that secret place you are hoping I have to eat my words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I never said it is not a big deal. I stated that the manner in which people convicted of the crime are treated by others who also break the law in ways which are equally devastating to the families of those lost is insanely, outrageously inconsistent with logic. If you truly believe your own words that a person who has made a mistake in the past that did not but could have maybe had a slim chance of killing someone even if the person has changed or never showed a pattern that would identify them as having a problem should not be allowed to be a part of the nursing profession then I say we saint all nurses. Even the angels sinned against God my friend and the Christ you pray to was himself tempted by Satan in the desert so save your prayers for those who have not read the bible cover to cover. It is not your place to judge if you truly are Christian and every man has the right to be forgiven and move on to sin no more...but what good is the bible when you can create your own world of self righteousness and exclusionary self soothing myths of supremacy...By the way when people say I will pray it not happen to you I know deep down in that secret place you are hoping I have to eat my words.

That's not what I said or think at all. I simply said that choosing to drink and drive is dangerous and illegal and if you get caught or kill someone, then you should accept the consequences without complaining. Yes eveyone deserves a second chance and can reedem themselves as long as they put the effort in and take the responsibility for their careless actions. Could care less if you eat your own words or not. You are so angry. The difference between traffic violations dui is, dui is illegal and if you do it, you are breaking the law. Simple as that.

57 months ago

What? They are all illegal...in all cases you are breaking the law and putting other peoples life in danger. I am concerned that people like you are so ignorant to the truth. I am a bit concerned that that you make comments like..."Nurses are supposed to protect life, not endanger it. If you decide to take a drink and then drive is shows poor judgement and little concern for the safety of others. Nurses should be better than that if you take pride in nursing, then you are a nurse 24/7 not just on the clock."

So please explain to me what you mean by that. And why is it that if I do not agree with your premise or ask that you actually support your claims with something other than politically charged hubris I am considered angry? I am not angry but I am tired of people who wear Christianity like a mantle of moral superiority not following any of the tenets of the man whom the religion is based upon. You say forgive and be forgiven for everything except for a DUI because you are okay with the nursing board or employers using that sole indiscretion without any caveat as a means of exclusion. Reading comprehension try it...it is addictive and legal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina said: What? They are all illegal...in all cases you are breaking the law and putting other peoples life in danger. I am concerned that people like you are so ignorant to the truth. I am a bit concerned that that you make comments like..."Nurses are supposed to protect life, not endanger it. If you decide to take a drink and then drive is shows poor judgement and little concern for the safety of others. Nurses should be better than that if you take pride in nursing, then you are a nurse 24/7 not just on the clock."

So please explain to me what you mean by that. And why is it that if I do not agree with your premise or ask that you actually support your claims with something other than politically charged hubris I am considered angry? I am not angry but I am tired of people who wear Christianity like a mantle of moral superiority not following any of the tenets of the man whom the religion is based upon. You say forgive and be forgiven for everything except for a DUI because you are okay with the nursing board or employers using that sole indiscretion without any caveat as a means of exclusion. Reading comprehension try it...it is addictive and legal.

My original comment was to someone that said something along the lines of "all I did was get a dui on my own time, it's not like I did it while I was working or stole drugs on the job". To me that comment is irresponsible and I think a dui is serious, dangerous business. If you do it, get caught, then pay the price because you deserve it. It was a choice. Now, I'm not sure how things always get so out of wack on these forums... What I mean by you are a nurse 24/7 is you have a profession where people look up to you and you should be setting a good example. I'm not sure what about that comment is you don't understand? If you make a choice to drink and drive isn't that showing bad judgement? When did I say forgive except for dui?? Try READING my post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

My issue is that you just said it again. What is the price that a person should pay? You keep saying they get what they deserve and should pay the price but you never state what that price should be. You have said that speeding is forgivable in the sense that it should not be compared to a dui. Bad judgement..yes. Many, many actions show bad judgement. Having children you cannot afford, buying a car above and beyond your ability to make payments, driving recklessly, working in a high stress situation without adequate sleep just to make a few extra bucks...I can go on but it would not matter. You are stuck in your little box and unwilling to see that when society makes broad based rubber stamp assumptions you hurt more people than you help. Your ideology is flawed. Your thought process is one that makes many people become alcoholics AFTER receiving a DUI because they see that it is hopeless. They are now excommunicated from civilized life, labeled a drunk and sent out to pasture. Whatever though chick...I read everything you repeated (over and over). Every time I go into a hospital and see nurses shipped in from over seas barely speaking the english rude as can be and with negligible training I will just remember that is it because of folks like you that some good honest person who may have made a mistake in the past cannot get a job or a license to practice regardless of how much they "pay the price".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

The price they should pay is possibly jail time and because this is a nursing forum, yes, it's possible they may lose their license. Drunk driving is a choice you make and the price you pay is whatever the punishement is where you live and losing your license. Can you redeem yourself? Yes, if you learned your lesson you won't do it again. However, there are some on here with multiple dui's. Explain to me please, how many time is it okay to continue breaking the law before it's too many?? If you do it over and over, should you get your license back? Maybe not. All I am saying is dui is serious, dangerous, deadly and those that commit the crime should be punished and yes, they can have a second chance. I am not sure about 3rd and 4th chances though. I am not saying you can't go out and whoop it up, drink as much as you want, but please don't get behind the wheel. That is all I am saying. You are really reading too much into my posts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

Tim in Binghamton, New York said: I graduated in May 2009. I got a DWAI in NY back in 2003 and then I got a DWI in New Jersey. Im sort of lucky because the Dwai in Ny is a traffic infraction and the DWI iin NJ is a traffic violation. I received my ATT but the problem is getting a GN/RN position. Though we will get licensed after passing the NLCEX, the problem is that many hospitals wont hire you with a DWI. At least the date of the incident should've been more than 4 years accoring to a friend in HR who works with a hospital that I applied to. I had clincials in two hospitals neaby and I got interviewed by the nurse manager on 3 differnt units. They told me Im bascially hired. The only thing I had to do was bring my application to HR, but thats where the problem is. I cant even get past them. The problem has to do with a liability issue in lawsuits (But who is say even if they put curbs on malpractice lawsuits would the issue change.) Im so pissed because judge me on my job performance not on my social life. Its so easy to get a DWI these days, not like in the 80's (most of the nurses who are against nurses and DWI's are a lot older). Technology and laws have changed. President Bush was able to get his DWI EXPUNGED in Texas but the law changed immediately afterwards which effectively barred DWI's from being removed from your record. So to some folks on this forum who object to nurses and DWI's.....we had a president who was convicted of a DWI and the lives of millions of Americans (ALL AMERICANS) were in his hand. Reflect on that, especailly you 1mrnurse!

You said "Judge me by my work performance not by my social skills". If you were unable to refrain from driving while drunk, not once but twice, will you be able to refrain from clocking into to work under the influence?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California said: I am sure you are a good nurse, that is not the point. I am not judgeing you. I just feel that dui is very serious and especially because it has happened more than once, you chose to drink and drive and now accept the consequence which includes losing you license to practice and really having to work hard to get it back. It's a learning experience and you are damn lucky not to have been killed or have killed anyone else.

For the record, I never lost my license to practice nursing. I just havent worked in over 5 years as I was trying to get my life back into some kind of order. The point I am making here is that I do not drink anymore and I have more than paid my debt to society as well as to my family. I want to be a productive member of the workforce again. Am I really asking for too much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

tuscan in Pinellas Park, Florida

57 months ago

Let's go back to school, shall we. I was taught not only the Nurse Practice Act, but ethics and law of doing good ( beneficence). The reasonable and prudent nurse standard is objective, not subjective: this means that the law doesn't care about the nurse,s age or tiredness or particular stupidity. Nurses are judged according to what they should be and do as a reasonable, prudent nurse. Good ethics is good law. If you do good, don't harm, be fair, be true (loyal, honest,confidential) and value life...then your actions will also be legally correct.

I agree with Mary's post above. Unless one has a split personnality, what is acceptable in a "social life" spills over to the "professional life".

57 months ago

Tim in Binghamton, New York said: I graduated in May 2009. I got a DWAI in NY back in 2003 and then I got a DWI in New Jersey. Im sort of lucky because the Dwai in Ny is a traffic infraction and the DWI iin NJ is a traffic violation. I received my ATT but the problem is getting a GN/RN position. Though we will get licensed after passing the NLCEX, the problem is that many hospitals wont hire you with a DWI. At least the date of the incident should've been more than 4 years accoring to a friend in HR who works with a hospital that I applied to. I had clincials in two hospitals neaby and I got interviewed by the nurse manager on 3 differnt units. They told me Im bascially hired. The only thing I had to do was bring my application to HR, but thats where the problem is. I cant even get past them. The problem has to do with a liability issue in lawsuits (But who is say even if they put curbs on malpractice lawsuits would the issue change.) Im so pissed because judge me on my job performance not on my social life. Its so easy to get a DWI these days, not like in the 80's (most of the nurses who are against nurses and DWI's are a lot older). Technology and laws have changed. President Bush was able to get his DWI EXPUNGED in Texas but the law changed immediately afterwards which effectively barred DWI's from being removed from your record. So to some folks on this forum who object to nurses and DWI's.....we had a president who was convicted of a DWI and the lives of millions of Americans (ALL AMERICANS) were in his hand. Reflect on that, especailly you 1mrnurse!

Thanks Tim for posting. At least I know now what to expect when I try to get hired somewhere. My dui's happened in 2000. But I wasnt convicted until 2007. Thanks to the lawyers dragging their feet. But I think the important thing here is that people do change and I want to get off of SSDI and work again. I love Nursing, and I really want to get my career back. I miss it very much.

tuscan in Pinellas Park, Florida

57 months ago

Having read biblical referrances here, let me add my 2 cents worth. Although Jesus was tempted, he did not give in. Later on when Mary was to be stoned to death, he said that if any one without sin was present, they could throw the first stone.

We have all done something wrong in our lifetime. I sympathize with Diane. I believe that if someone has paid the price for their wrong doing, they should be given another chance.

57 months ago

tuscan in Pinellas Park, Florida said: Having read biblical referrances here, let me add my 2 cents worth. Although Jesus was tempted, he did not give in. Later on when Mary was to be stoned to death, he said that if any one without sin was present, they could throw the first stone.

We have all done something wrong in our lifetime. I sympathize with Diane. I believe that if someone has paid the price for their wrong doing, they should be given another chance.

Thank you. I really have learned my lesson. You know when I went to jail I wasnt very street smart. I learned alot in there about people. I made it a positive experience. When I did my community service I worked with MADD. Those ladies treated me with respect, they did not act judgmental or treat me like a criminal. They are just happy I learned from my mistakes and through my public speaking, others have too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey said: For the record, I never lost my license to practice nursing. I just havent worked in over 5 years as I was trying to get my life back into some kind of order. The point I am making here is that I do not drink anymore and I have more than paid my debt to society as well as to my family. I want to be a productive member of the workforce again. Am I really asking for too much?

I congrads for trying to get your life back on track. I'm sure it hasn't been easy. No, you are not asking for too much, unfortunately you will be required to jump through some hoops.

57 months ago

Diane in Riverside, New Jersey said: For the record, I never lost my license to practice nursing. I just havent worked in over 5 years as I was trying to get my life back into some kind of order. The point I am making here is that I do not drink anymore and I have more than paid my debt to society as well as to my family. I want to be a productive member of the workforce again. Am I really asking for too much?

Congrads for trying to get your life back on track. I'm sure it hasn't been easy. No, you are not asking for too much, unfortunately you will be required to jump through some hoops.

57 months ago

I'm really not picking on you, I hope like you have said, you lived and learned and paid your debt. We all have different life experiences that can change us for the good or the bad. Although you have been through so much, it has made you a better person and I do hope that you will get back to working again soon. Good luck!

57 months ago

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California said: My original comment was to someone that said something along the lines of "all I did was get a dui on my own time, it's not like I did it while I was working or stole drugs on the job". To me that comment is irresponsible and I think a dui is serious, dangerous business. If you do it, get caught, then pay the price because you deserve it. It was a choice. Now, I'm not sure how things always get so out of wack on these forums... What I mean by you are a nurse 24/7 is you have a profession where people look up to you and you should be setting a good example. I'm not sure what about that comment is you don't understand? If you make a choice to drink and drive isn't that showing bad judgement? When did I say forgive except for dui?? Try READING my post.

Exactly what example are nurses to be setting? It's a white-collar job just like any other. It is not on some pinnacle, nor are it's members. That was back in 1960.
now, nurses arent' so respected. They work in a profession they went to school for. The only time the public deals with us is if they are sick, and once they are well, they are onto other things.

The bottom line here is that there is a double standard in professions governed by women versus those governed by men.
Men think women are stupid for allowing these restrictions on their profession, regardless of whether they are good or not.
It's the allowing that's the problem. My son's laughed when I told them if I ever got a DWI (not probable, I don't drink)I'd have to go before the Powers That Be Circa 1888 to beg in a contrite manner for the priviledge of working again. This is all after I lay myself out for them all to pick at and probe.
They both said "....why would anyone want to be a nurse?".
What's so great about it?

giving shots and doing what appear to be fancy procedures that not a lot of people can do?
Give me a break.
I grew a backbone and some self-esteem since I was 22.

57 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: Exactly what example are nurses to be setting? It's a white-collar job just like any other. It is not on some pinnacle, nor are it's members. That was back in 1960.
now, nurses arent' so respected. They work in a profession they went to school for. The only time the public deals with us is if they are sick, and once they are well, they are onto other things.

The bottom line here is that there is a double standard in professions governed by women versus those governed by men.
Men think women are stupid for allowing these restrictions on their profession, regardless of whether they are good or not.
It's the allowing that's the problem. My son's laughed when I told them if I ever got a DWI (not probable, I don't drink)I'd have to go before the Powers That Be Circa 1888 to beg in a contrite manner for the priviledge of working again. This is all after I lay myself out for them all to pick at and probe.

giving shots and doing what appear to be fancy procedures that not a lot of people can do?
Give me a break.

looks like you should leave the nursing profession asap!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Thank You. I understand your position, I really do. I am sorry I came off so defensive. The important issue here is patient safety. I know that the golden rule is "First Do No Harm" and I value life so I will definetly adhere to any obligations the Nursing Board recommends after I retake and pass my Boards. I made some very serious mistakes with my personal and family life, but I did learn and I still suffer the consequences of losing my 5 children everyday.

57 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: Exactly what example are nurses to be setting? It's a white-collar job just like any other. It is not on some pinnacle, nor are it's members. That was back in 1960.

Give me a break.

seems like you also developed burn out and bitterness for the nursing profession since you were 22. Where is your pride for what you do? Just because it's what is known as a "female" job doesn't mean there is no importance to it. How sad.

57 months ago

Perhaps the Nursing board is harder on DWI's because drinking impairs your judgment and because of the abundance of drugs the Nurse has access to. Drug and alcohol is a big problem in the Nursing profession. Has anyone been to Nurse's court. I can't recall the name of it, been when I graduated part of the Nursing program include observing this court in progress. I know I was amazed at how many impaired Nurses were fighting to be reinstated. Some for the second and third time.

Diane in Willingboro, New Jersey

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Perhaps the Nursing board is harder on DWI's because drinking impairs your judgment and because of the abundance of drugs the Nurse has access to. Drug and alcohol is a big problem in the Nursing profession. Has anyone been to Nurse's court. I can't recall the name of it, been when I graduated part of the Nursing program include observing this court in progress. I know I was amazed at how many impaired Nurses were fighting to be reinstated. Some for the second and third time.

That may be true, about the impairment. But I can only speak for myself when I say that I would never steal or take drugs. I think that alcohol and drug abuse are two separate beasts. Not to mention if the person is stealing them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I think the stealing and using of drugs is probably somewhat proportional to the availability and security measures. Many of us remember what it was like before unit dose, and when the RN's flushed the expired stuff down the toilet once a month.
When you have a profession where drugs are, then of course they are tempting to the abuser. Back in the early 1980's I went to the Director of Nursing about a fellow RN who was snorting some kind of drug they called Caniminol, or it sounded like it, and it was I who was blackballed for turning her in. I do believe things must be better on that front, or at least I hope so.
Drug testing and running someone's criminal background every so often are no big deal to me, but the DUI's or stuff that can happen on a vacation and doesn't impact one's workplace I still stuggle with.

No one's perfect.
I'm also upset it's so hard to get licensed again after not working for 5 years. It's expensive! It's costing hundreds of dollars in fees for the license, the background check, and the test. A refresher course is over a thousand dollars.
We didn't have background checks back when I graduated in 1983, so that's a new twist. I've never had one before, but everyone tells me that if I've never been arrested, not to worry.
I've never been arrested.
I had thought that flex-schedules etc were the norm now, one of the reasons I looked forward to going back to work in homecare/hospice again.
Now it turns out I have to grab a local LTC/acute care job for a year before I can go back into homecare! And, I'll have to work the standard 7-3/3-11/11-7 shift work, including weekends.
You need current experience to get into homecare.
The hospital won't hire me for the same reason, which leaves LTC, every other weekend etc.
I don't want all that. I'm 50. I want part time work, during the week, with normal hours. My husband is not thrilled with me dealing with weekends again, seeing as how that's when he's home.
GG

v1v in Norristown, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse said something about impaired judgment and abundance of drugs that nursing dealing with and being more strict on DWI's. I wouldn't argue about it but I really would like to say couple of things.
1. Impaired judgment: From my personal opinion you wouldn't drive drunk if you wouldn't drink. As simple as that! People drink, their judgment is impaired and they do stupid things. So you can't say that people have impaired judgment, poor moral character, poor impulse control because they were driving drunk. Person is under influence of chemical substance that impair his/her judgment or behavior. According to this argument you can't judge people for what they have done under influence. Of course, there is an issue whit alcohol or drugs. People who are chemically impaired are dangerous to society. Therefore they should be judged for drinking or doing drugs and this would be reasonable. But people change!!! If society wouldn't stigmatize people as being drug addicts or alcoholics for life and would give them an opportunity to prove otherwise if would me so much easier for everyone.
Here is couple of examples: I got in trouble twice (DUI's). First time i learned that I shouldn't drink and drive, second time I learned that I shouldn't drink. So it's a good lesson in a bed way. If you can't act normal when you drink, that means alcohol is not for you! So, I am staying away from it.
But there is millions of people who drink and drive and never get cough. They are good citizens according to society norms. They don't have to deal with the Board or Employer and they have basically perfect life. Some of them will be like that all their lives, but most of them will eventually kill someone or dye themselves (either from an accident or a disease). Those who never got in trouble, can't even imagine what should we go trough to fix our lives. And if they knew, they would have absolutely different perspective. All we need is some hope along with the judgment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Sometimes I wonder who is the lucky one? Some people like me who got in trouble and actually start to appreciate life and actually think what they should do and what they shouldn't or those who continue doing what they are doing? If DWI is a standard for evaluating people on their judgment, there should be something else like driving while depressed, driving while agree, driving under stress, driving while on the cell phone, driving and texting, driving and eating... This list will never end!!! Try to find yourself in one of those categories? I am not saying that people shouldn't be punished, all I am saying is that people shouldn't be stigmatized and labeled as having poor moral character by those who in power.
Every nurse is responsible for their patients. We all know how we should care for the patients and if we don't we ask. Safety within the range of the profession that's an issue. And believe me, there are nurses who practice in such a way, that their license should be suspended for life. They are greatest people ever, never got in trouble, clean record the problem is they don't CARE. Sad but true!

2.Abundance of drugs: I had to much to say already, so I will be short. There is a guy who were shooting dope for 7 years. Never got caught. Stopped!!! Went to Pharmacy school, graduated with almost 4.0. Got his license. Got a great job. Making great money. Bought beautiful house. Driving BMW. Got married. Never picked up again and probably never will because he appreciate what he has and knows what he doesn't need. Abundance doesn't make sense anymore.

"Each Board of Nursing makes a determination on a case by case basis!" How would they really know what is the case?

For those who believe in God, "Only God knows and he will determine!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

just a quick response to v1v. I don't think it is fair to say if you don't drink then you wouldn't drive drunk. Driving drunk is a choice, most people know they are going to do it before they even take that first drink and just because you do have too much to drink, it is not an excuse to do as you please as say "oh well I was drunk" You still need to be responsible and take responsibility for your actions. It does not mean you are a bad person but it does mean if you do get caught, you made the decision before hand and knew it was wrong. You also knew what the consequences are but chose to do it anyway. That is why we have laws, so that it will hopeful keep people from doing harmful things. I know there is a stigma on dui, but if we made it easier for those to drink and drive, more people would do it and more people would die. I am not judging you or anyone else, I don't know you, this is just a response.

57 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: And now that I've gotten myself all aggravated and there's no one here to talk to, I'll go and apply for Obama Money for medical billing and coding school...

I'm sure I'm coming off with a nasty attitude, but it's not the oddity amongst 'retired' nurses in my age bracket. These issues, along with the unceasing rigidity of the profession makes it ever harder to imagine choosing it.
We live in an era of children in workplace daycares, flex schedules, time off for sick kids, and nursing does not allow for any of that. There's not one nurse I know who left for childrearing because they were getting in trouble for being out sick for a child's chicken pox etc.
It is not a good career choice for a working mother, or a single mother, or for anyone who has a priority list involving things other than the job.
It's not flexible.
It's a Giving profession, which is exhausting at times.
Strict adherence to heirarchy is required.
The Doctor is Almighty.
The work load can change all the time, and usually does.
The job itself gives the nurse the power to kill and great care must be given to practicing this craft conscientiously as mistakes can be deadly.
There is little margin for error, and none on some things.
The fellow nurse does not ever have your back, it is a profession where everyone's license is on the line, so everyone has their own back only.
It's female dominated and therefore catty.
It's filled with the drama of interpersonal garbage and lots of emoting.
You quickly outgrow the desire to change the world by channeling your inner Florence Nightingale.

I am way too jaded to be reentering this profession, aren't I?
GG

I think I responded to you before on this subject. Yes, Yes, Yes, way too jaded, please stay away from nursing, you will be miserable and patients are already miserable enough without jaded nurses caring for them.

57 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: just a quick response to v1v. I don't think it is fair to say if you don't drink then you wouldn't drive drunk. Driving drunk is a choice, most people know they are going to do it before they even take that first drink and just because you do have too much to drink, it is not an excuse to do as you please as say "oh well I was drunk" You still need to be responsible and take responsibility for your actions. It does not mean you are a bad person but it does mean if you do get caught, you made the decision before hand and knew it was wrong. You also knew what the consequences are but chose to do it anyway. That is why we have laws, so that it will hopeful keep people from doing harmful things. I know there is a stigma on dui, but if we made it easier for those to drink and drive, more people would do it and more people would die. I am not judging you or anyone else, I don't know you, this is just a response.

I do agree with you, but sometimes as I said before people are beyond the limit when they can make a right decision (they are chemically impaired). So, they can't make a right judgment. When you sober you know what is right and what is wrong and you act accordingly. When you impaired you also know what is right and what is wrong, but you simply don't care. All judgments go to your subconsciousness and basically you ending up doing something that is beyond your control. I am not talking about every person who drinks, but about myself.I am not saying, "Hey people its OK, our brains are somewhere else, we are not responsible so lets drink and drive." All I am saying is that stigmatizing people didn't do anything good. In some way it's like discriminating people according to their racial or ethical background. Did it do any good in American history? People should have an equal opportunity. What does it say in constitution?
Stigmatizing is morally incorrect and this is the end of it

57 months ago

I know my weaknesses and I work on them. I just don't want people to think that just because I got DUI's I can't practice safely and be responsible.

57 months ago

v1v in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: I know my weaknesses and I work on them. I just don't want people to think that just because I got DUI's I can't practice safely and be responsible.

I just happened to stumble onto this forum and mostly I was surpised to see how many nurses and others speak as though dui is a common everyday occurance and we should just look the other way when someone gets caught. I feel especially being a nurse that we need to keep the laws strict including possibly losing ability to work if you participate in dui. So many people die from it and because the laws have become stricter, people are thinking twice before driving after drinking. If people don't want the hassel and stigma that goes with dui, then just don't do it. It really is and can be that simple.

57 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: I just happened to stumble onto this forum and mostly I was surpised to see how many nurses and others speak as though dui is a common everyday occurance and we should just look the other way when someone gets caught. I feel especially being a nurse that we need to keep the laws strict including possibly losing ability to work if you participate in dui. So many people die from it and because the laws have become stricter, people are thinking twice before driving after drinking. If people don't want the hassel and stigma that goes with dui, then just don't do it. It really is and can be that simple.

There are 11000 deaths related to DWI and 40000 deaths related to cell phone talk and chewing up a hamburger. That's not even the point. I understand the concern and DWI is certainly bad act that can't be justified. I just don't understand how it is relate to your ability to work? Tell me from your point of view, why would you think that person can't be a good nurse and practice safely? Why should be kept from practicing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

v1v in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: There are 11000 deaths related to DWI and 40000 deaths related to cell phone talk and chewing up a hamburger. That's not even the point. I understand the concern and DWI is certainly bad act that can't be justified. I just don't understand how it is relate to your ability to work? Tell me from your point of view, why would you think that person can't be a good nurse and practice safely? Why should be kept from practicing?

I never said, and don't believe that you can't be a good nurse with a dui conviction. I just feel that stiff consequences may make someone decide not to do it if they know it may result in the loss of their livelyhood. I know the big arguement is why is it only nursing that is affected by dui? Well, I can't do anything about that and it does seem unfair, but that is the way it is right now, so lets do the right thing and not drink and drive. That is all I am saying, not more, not less. I am not judgeing anyone who has a dui conviction, but, be glad that is all you have and not a senseless death on your hands...

57 months ago

pam w in Fallbrook, California said: I just happened to stumble onto this forum and mostly I was surpised to see how many nurses and others speak as though dui..So many people die from it and because the laws have become stricter, people are thinking twice before driving after drinking. If people don't want the hassel and stigma that goes with dui, then just don't do it.

Hmm...I happened to get a dui doing something that a majority of all American khaki wearing freedom loving God fearing citizens do on a nightly basis but I only did very rarely. I weighed 115 lbs at 5'10" tall and drank 2 and 1/2 glasses of wine on an empty stomach at a gallery opening. I am not a raging alcoholic and now my stomach turns at the thought of alcohol after all that I have been through. Intellectually I am not ashamed to tout that I blow at least around 95% of the humans on Earth out of the water (that is not saying much) and still I ended up with a Dewey. It has taught me a lot though. It has taught me that people in general make embarrassingly base judgments with regards to other people. Through listening to the "war stories" at AA meeting after AA meeting and watching all of those people (most of whom had other serious psychological issues that went entirely unresolved due to the moronic focus on the absolutely unscientific but oft diagnosed disease of alcoholism)spiral further and further into a hopeless and helpless mess of misguided bs rhetorical flibbityflotsom passed from one illiterate group leader to another until they without fail fall into the loving arms of recidivism. When the punishment (in this case societal instead of judicial) outweighs the crime justice will never prevail (remember she does carry scales for a reason. The punished will be left in a hopeless struggle and will eventually give up the fight relapsing in a manner out of bounds with the norm. I am appalled that so many nurses are so small minded

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

DVO in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hmm...I happened to get a dui doing something that a majority of all American khaki wearing freedom loving God fearing citizens do on a nightly basis but I only did very rarely. I weighed 115 lbs at 5'10" tall and drank 2 and 1/2 glasses of wine on an empty stomach at a gallery opening. I am not a raging alcoholic and now my stomach turns at the thought of alcohol after all that I have been through. Intellectually I am not ashamed to tout that I blow at least around 95% of the humans on Earth out of the water (that is not saying much) and still I ended up with a Dewey. It has taught me a lot though. It has taught me that people in general make embarrassingly base judgments with regards to other people. Through listening to the "war stories" at AA meeting after AA meeting and watching all of those people (most of whom had other serious psychological issues that went entirely unresolved due to the moronic focus on the absolutely unscientific but oft diagnosed disease of alcoholism)spiral further and further into a hopeless and helpless mess of misguided bs rhetorical flibbityflotsom passed from one illiterate group leader to another until they without fail fall into the loving arms of recidivism. When the punishment (in this case societal instead of judicial) outweighs the crime justice will never prevail (remember she does carry scales for a reason. The punished will be left in a hopeless struggle and will eventually give up the fight relapsing in a manner out of bounds with the norm. I am appalled that so many nurses are so small minded

It sounds like you did something that was illegal you knew it, got caught, and now bitter about what you have had to go through. That's what happens when you brake the law whether you agree with it or not. Sorry, you made the bad choice, no one twisted your arm. If you think the punishment outweighs the crime, why did you take the chance? You must have known the risk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Sigh. At the end of the day, Nursing is one of those non-forgiving professions that will punish you even though you have paid your debt to society through the legal system.
There are no second chances. The hoops you have to jump through, with no guarantee of success, will ultimately force you to move on to another type of work.
It is an inflexible profession armed with inflexible women.
Too bad. The idea of helping others to get well can make it very attractive, but it's stiffness, which comes off like arrogance, give it a keep-away feel.
It should focus on drugs and alcohol within the workplace and pay no attention to what is going on outside of the workplace. If drug tests are negative, then that's it. Done.
If a nurse isn't driving in her job description, then who cares if she gets a DUI? Or bounces a check? Or has a kid in jail? Or a husband who's arrested?
The DUI is just the start of controling you outside of your workplace.
If that's the kind of job you want, then go for it.
Not me, baby.
GG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

GardenGirl in Forked River, New Jersey said: Sigh. At the end of the day, Nursing is one of those non-forgiving professions that will punish you even though you have paid your debt to society through the legal system.
There are no second chances. The hoops you have to jump through, with no guarantee of success, will ultimately force you to move on to another type of work.
It is an inflexible profession armed with inflexible women.
Too bad. The idea of helping others to get well can make it very attractive, but it's stiffness, which comes off like arrogance, give it a keep-away feel.
It should focus on drugs and alcohol within the workplace and pay no attention to what is going on outside of the workplace. If drug tests are negative, then that's it. Done.
If a nurse isn't driving in her job description, then who cares if she gets a DUI? Or bounces a check? Or has a kid in jail? Or a husband who's arrested?
The DUI is just the start of controling you outside of your workplace.
If that's the kind of job you want, then go for it.
Not me, baby.
GG

GOOD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Pam in Lake Elsinore, California said: It sounds like you did something that was illegal you knew it, got caught, and now bitter about what you have had to go through. That's what happens when you brake the law whether you agree with it or not. Sorry, you made the bad choice, no one twisted your arm. If you think the punishment outweighs the crime, why did you take the chance? You must have known the risk.

Wow you really are just a jerk aren't you. I hope you have a bit more compassion for your patients than you do for people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.