Dermatology nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 79 of 79)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

MK_angel in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

I find the wide range of info on this forum helpful. So with that in mind, I would like to ask anyone who may have some info or advice to share... I am a RN, relocating from MO to Hawaii, getting ready to send for my Hawaiian license. I get VERY mixed messages about RN jobs there. Also I am planning on getting my esthetician's license when I get there. My hope is to work for one of the many spa's or medical spa or derm or plastic surgeon. Can anyone give me the inside scoop on life there and jobs and being a RN esthetician. I REALLY appreciate any help...Thanks Maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Villa Park, Illinois

57 months ago

HELP PLEASE!! I hope it is Ok to post this? I am a retired registered nurse with an adult daughter who has had 60 yag laser treatments to her face over 8 years for severe burning rosacea...she was told they were safe! Something went wrong following her last treatment in Dec 09. She has had progressive lipoatrophy,(that we see) and her skin is hot one minute and freezing the next. She says her skin has thinned and is not functioning right..orange peeled. She can't tolerate light. All the derms send us somewhere else and say they can't help!! NO ONE will even listen to her about the possibility of thermal laser damage to the dermis. I am getting really hopeless along with my daughter after 7 months of battling this problem. I am turning to my own profession in hopes that someone will be caring enough to help us.
We are in the Chicago area but will go anywhere so get her life back.

marydex in Castro Valley, California

53 months ago

I am a Derm RN and have been for over 20 years. I love Derm nursing. Despite the comment below by another person, I do make a positive difference in my patient's lives everyday! Derm nursing is going to be expanding a lot in the coming years because demand for dermatology care is going to continue to increase and Dermatology RNs are a very cost-effective way to provide that care. I work as an extended role RN for an HMO treating patients with acne, warts, psoriasis, rashes, wounds, etc. as well as administering Light Box treatments. But there are Derm Nurses who work in a multitude of areas including cosmetics, psoriasis clinics, wound care, reconstructive plastic surgery, etc. Once you complete nursing school, I recommend working in a hospital on a Med/Surg unit for a year or two or some other area where you can really get your assessment skills fine tuned. This is important because besides skin problems your patients will have diabetes, high blood pressure, psych problem, heart problems. I know it is currently very hard for new grads to find jobs but hopefully that situation will improve in the next few years because many RNs will be retiring. I recommend joining the Dermatology Nurses Association. They offer certification exams for RNs and NPs to show competence and I am a Dermatology Nurse Certified (DNC). Students are welcome as members. That will allow you to network with other Derm Nurses and other office staff. Many private Derm offices, HMOs and hospitals/universities do have Derm RNs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Des Plaines, Illinois

53 months ago

I am a retired registered nurse and need to know if anyone on this forum has worked with patients who have had severe dermal damage from full facial Yag laser treatments? There is obvious loss of facial fat and now severe insensitivity to light. It is extremely difficult to find a derm who is willing to listen to the patient. I am trying to direct them to someone who can actually help. I have been researching and calling over 6 months. If you have any suggestions, please write ASAP. Thanks!

Kristen Tungate in Grandville, Michigan

52 months ago

I manage a dermatology office in the GR area and am looking for an RN. We have several RN, BSN's and I would love to see your resume! Please email me at kristent@holland-derm.com

kapoorster@gmail.com in Gainesville, Georgia

50 months ago

BSN2 in Dearborn, Michigan said: I am a proud Registered Nurse, and it REALLY BOTHERS ME WHEN PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO PURSUE THIS FIELD FOR THE MONEY! Please if your heart is not unselfish, and you are not willing and ready to help do for those what they can not do for themselves. DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT BECOME ANY TYPE OF NURSE. People are sick & ill as it is! No one on their death bed needs to be bothered with someone who views their position as a "trade or just a job". It is a career that requires scientific knowledge & clinical expertise. I'm so sick of everybody wanting to be a darn nurse saturating the field w/ Nurse Hatchett's while us good nurses struggle to find jobs..

Very true, but if your student loan to become an RN-BSN is $80000, you have to think about money. The truth of life is, we are not m,illionaires to invest in education and expect nothing out of it.It is a profession, not charity. If you cannot take care of your life and your family, how helpful you can be to other people???

We are human beings, not God.We wash their butts, clean their wounds, get abused and bashed by office mangers, doctors, patients and we should not expect anything out of it?? Why ???? This attitude is the reason why nurses are the most abused in the medical field. They are held resonsible for everyone's mistakes because they care and they want to help and they have inherited estates to give in charity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

freetobeme82 in Middleton, Wisconsin

50 months ago

kapoorster@gmail.com in Gainesville, Georgia said: Very true, but if your student loan to become an RN-BSN is $80000, you have to think about money. The truth of life is, we are not m,illionaires to invest in education and expect nothing out of it.It is a profession, not charity. If you cannot take care of your life and your family, how helpful you can be to other people???

We are human beings, not God.We wash their butts, clean their wounds, get abused and bashed by office mangers, doctors, patients and we should not expect anything out of it?? Why ???? This attitude is the reason why nurses are the most abused in the medical field. They are held resonsible for everyone's mistakes because they care and they want to help and they have inherited estates to give in charity.

I agree with you above. I am so.. sorry. Everyone on this planet knows that nurses make a darn good living! Lets be honest here. Although its career..no one can say the money does not help them. Pleeease what a crock! No one should go and tell any nurse not to saturate the field and be one. That woman who said that should have her license revoked! Its not an easy field and if you know your job.. and do it well.. and are a hard worker.. no one should tell you differently! I had.. A phony friend like this woman who said this. She swears.. up and down.. she did not become an RN for the money. Well.. I know for a fact she did. That is also all she brags about.. her news hummer.. and all her clothes.. and re decorating and all the TVs she buys and vacations she goes on. So.. pleeasse be honest here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

BSN2 in Dearborn, Michigan said: I am a proud Registered Nurse, and it REALLY BOTHERS ME WHEN PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO PURSUE THIS FIELD FOR THE MONEY! Please if your heart is not unselfish, and you are not willing and ready to help do for those what they can not do for themselves. DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT BECOME ANY TYPE OF NURSE. People are sick & ill as it is! No one on their death bed needs to be bothered with someone who views their position as a "trade or just a job". It is a career that requires scientific knowledge & clinical expertise. I'm so sick of everybody wanting to be a darn nurse saturating the field w/ Nurse Hatchett's while us good nurses struggle to find jobs..

. I am so.. sorry. Everyone on this planet knows that nurses make a darn good living! Lets be honest here. Although its career..no one can say the money does not help them. Pleeease what a crock! No one should go and tell any nurse not to saturate the field and be one. That woman who said that should have her license revoked! Its not an easy field and if you know your job.. and do it well.. and are a hard worker.. no one should tell you differently! I had.. A phony friend like this woman who said this. She swears.. up and down.. she did not become an RN for the money. Well.. I know for a fact she did. That is also all she brags about.. her news hummer.. and all her clothes.. and re decorating and all the TVs she buys and vacations she goes on. So.. pleeasse be honest here

50 months ago

. I am so.. sorry. Everyone on this planet knows that nurses make a darn good living! Lets be honest here. Although its career..no one can say the money does not help them. Pleeease what a crock! No one should go and tell any nurse not to saturate the field and be one. That woman who said that should have her license revoked! Its not an easy field and if you know your job.. and do it well.. and are a hard worker.. no one should tell you differently! I had.. A phony friend like this woman who said this. She swears.. up and down.. she did not become an RN for the money. Well.. I know for a fact she did. That is also all she brags about.. her news hummer.. and all her clothes.. and re decorating and all the TVs she buys and vacations she goes on. So.. pleeasse be honest here!!!!!!!

Anon in Oakland, California

49 months ago

Kaiser Redwood City is hiring for a full time derm charge rn position in redwood city, ca. awesome organization and equally great dept! go to kpjobs.com

steveclymer@dshefrin.com in Scottsdale, Arizona

49 months ago

Hello Robyn~
I hope this gets to you. I saw your info on Linked In (I'm in there too...with my email and cell phone)...I am looking for Nursing talent like you...I have a position in Phx for a psych/Mental Health Nursing Instructor and also DoN positions in NYC and Phx.
Check me out on Linked In and lets talk.
Best~
Steve Clymer
steveclymer@dshefrin.com

Robyn williams in Oak Ridge, New Jersey said: I am so happy to see that real nurses are telling the real truth about what crap we go through every day...does anyone ever wonder why they say in nursing school (mine anyway in the 70's) that 8 out of 10 nurses will become impaired? Its the stress and burn out don't believe it? i didn't either, i was young and wanted to "help others" Now i work in alcohol and substance abuse with many RAMP nurses and physicians too who are in recovery. its an epidemic and thats why the RAMP program was created... we were losing too many good people to the job of "caring for others" your own life is sucked out of you to the point that nothing is left to give to yourself or your family. Be wise if you go into the nursing field, LEARN TO SAY NO EARLY, it will save your life and career. good Luck nurses, love all of you for wanting to still try to make a difference. I work in psych and substance abuse, even in med/surg you will find the same kind of patient... i started in med/surg to Oncology to psych and then substance abuse.... everyone, including the professionals are under the influence of something either legally or not....think about it.... now thats a field to comsider going into, doesn't pay very well, not one of the "cared about diseases' like cancer, diabetes and heart conditions right?

Sophe in Saint Paul, Minnesota

48 months ago

Hi guys I'm 18 just got done with high school and I'm not going to college yet maybe in the spring bc I dont know what I want to go for but nursing was my 1st to choose . But I don't know how to start school bc I don't want to go to college for too long for something idk if I even really want, I want to ask is it better to start off as a LPN first or go right into RN . ?! bc I want to get into some kind of programs and work my way from there but idk how to start. I need real nuser ppl to tell me and please help . !! I don't know I feel lost .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Wake Forest, North Carolina

46 months ago

I am a Registered Nurse also. I have recently partnered with the doctors who created Proactiv. Rodan & Fields Dermatologists is a wonderful opportunity for anyone with a nursing, Dermatology or cosmetology background to own their own business with instant brand recognition. You can visit my website at www.melissab.myrandf.com to learn more about the products and the business. Please feel free to contact me via my website with any questions you may have. I encourage you to research this ground floor business opportunity for yourself! It is truly a gift to have financial freedom these days! I am expanding my business and would love to share this opportunity with motivated people with a true desire to help others Change their & Change their Lives. Write Your Own Prescription For Change! Contact me today for more information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

regman510k in Woburn, Massachusetts

45 months ago

derm nurse in Melrose, Massachusetts said: Yes you are correct, I worked as a derm nurse (LPN) for many years. I was told they could only keep LPNs and MA , they cannot afford to hire RN as derm nurses.

Hi - are you looking for work? We are a medical device company with a FDA approved device looking for a Derm RN to help us conduct clinical studies for our next device. Please contact me if you're interested or know another Derm RN who is. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BSN student in San Juan, Puerto Rico

43 months ago

sandy122 in marlton, New Jersey said: Ok...im a single mother of 2 boys & need to follow a career choice ive always had interest in....skin care. Ive always wanted to work in a dermatologist office.I read to become a PA it is a 26month program...but it also says this is usually a career move for people that have had previous experience in the medical field. Am I able to become a PA with no prior experience...will i be accepted into a program?? I need some guidence...please. TY

If you think nursing is competitive to get into try getting into a PA program. Aside from getting in you need the pre-reqs which are pretty much the same ones you would need for nursing school (Micro, A&P, etc). Most PA programs are masters programs so you would need a BA or BS before you could apply.

Also keep in mind that every 6 years you must retake the PANCE (the national exam). So you RNs out there imagine if you had to retake the NCLEX every 6 years. According to my friend who is a PA it is the exact same exam you took the first time. Meaning it is not a shorter version. It is a 5 hour exam the first time you take it and when you have to retake it 6 years later.

Becoming a PA is by no means the easy way out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia

42 months ago

COCO45 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I LIVE IN ATLANTA,GA..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT SCHOOL I SHOULD ATTEND TO BECOME A DERMATOLOGY NURSE OR WHAT I SHOULD FOCUS ON TO BE IN THAT FIELD..IM 28YRS OLD

Im seeking that info I have chemistry and then biology to get into the rn at gpc but before i waste anymore of my money i want to be sure what avenue to complete

42 months ago

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia said: Im seeking that info I have chemistry and then biology to get into the rn at gpc but before i waste anymore of my money i want to be sure what avenue to complete

Nursing school is nursing school. You don't specialize while in school. You specialize once you start working.

FYI it is very difficult for new grads to get jobs right now. They are out there but be prepared to move out of state. But hopefully the economy improves and things will be better by the time you finish school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sgb8098 in Woodstock, Georgia

42 months ago

but i just want to be sure that i should do rn if i want to work in the derm office or should i do something else. I have tried geting my foot into medical office to get a job but w/o experience im not hired how can i get a job if no one will give me a chance. i volunteered at a hospice for 2 years great grades punctual person i just dont get it

jessi in Glendale, Arizona

42 months ago

Milda in Brooklyn, New York said: I have been working in a dermatology office for the past year and I love it. It is a great area to work as a nurse and your right. Once you are a nurse you can go down many different avenues. Good luck in school.

How did you get into dermatology? I'm in nursing school and would love to go into that field. Do you need extra certification? And what is your particular role in that setting? Thank you in advance for your response.

Lisann58 in Asheboro, North Carolina

42 months ago

I have my BSN and I've been a Dermatology Nurse for 12 year. I went into it from Internal Medicine. It is very interesting work, you get both medical, surgical and cosmetic patients. It is a very busy type practice and can be demanding at times. I've found that some offices will only hire MA's because of cost. Our jobs outside of the hospital have been diminishing. It is a scary thought that your health is in the hands of someone with just a little more than a high school education. I know I wouldn't want to be triaged by a MA. You get what you pay for. My biggest aggregation is when the refer to themselves a nurse. That is professional fraud.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Arlington Heights, Illinois

42 months ago

I totally agree with you that MA's should not be allowed to adress themselves to patients as
nurses! That is totally upsetting to me and as you say misrepresents their education vs an RN.
Myself, I have had MD dole out medical advice to me without consulting with my physician. I have
called the MD to advise them that I do not appreciate that approach. As RN's we need to counter this problem
each time it is presented.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

CJ be careful with your abbreviations. MD stands for Medical Doctor and doctors have the title MD after their name. But it sounds like you do not mean a doctor. I have no clue what you are referencing though as MD is the most wieldy used to as medical doctor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Arlington Heights, Illinois

42 months ago

Hi,

Sorry for the HUGE mistake.... that I caught after I posted. I meant MA's (medical assistants).
Hope that clears things up? I am totally in agreement that MD's (at least 98% of them deserve that honor.

wbrown427 in Shelton, Connecticut

39 months ago

jane smith in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been a BSN, RN for 6 years. I have wanted to
work in a dermatologist office for a long time. I have
been unable to find a job. Doctor's offices hire either
MA or LPN's. If this is what you want to do. Just become a
MA or LPN. If they do hire a BSN RN it is to be the office
manager. I went in to nursing to be a nurse not run an office.

Hello- i have a new position you may be very interested in NYC area. can you check out my website for the listing- www.wbconsults.com

NurseJackie in Detroit, Michigan

38 months ago

Hi,all

I am nurse who has worked in medical aesthetics and other non-traditional settings. To help out my nursing colleagues I share FREE information via a weekly email message. Often, the messages are answers to my colleagues questions. You may ask your question (e.g., How do you get hired as a medical aesthetics nurse?) by contacting me at afceducation48123@aol.com.

Hang in there and believe in yourself. If I can do it, you can too!

Kindest regards,

Jackie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

B_R in San Jose, California

27 months ago

Pam in San Rafael, California said: I am an RN and have been working in a derm office for 3 years. Derms in many states utilize CMA's and LPN's because it is more affordable than hiring an RN. I work in California where you have to be at least an RN to run lasers. RN's are also licensed here to do injectables and Botox. The office that I work in is both medical and cosmetic so I get to enjoy the hands on, slightly more traditional nursing of the medical side but I am profitable for the cosmetic side because I'm licensed to do things that an medical assistant can't. To all of you who are frustrated with lack of RN positions in derm offices, are you willing to relocate to an area that requires RNs to do certain procedures? Another route to go would be to get an NP and then specialize in derm. There is a new Dermatology Nurse Practicioner certification that is out for people who've already earned their NP. I recently because Dermatology Nurse Certified - I'm an RN, not NP. I recomend checking out the dermatology nurse association website- www.dnanurse.org

Thanks for this information. I'm interested in becoming a RN in California and would love to do all the things you are currently doing. Do you find that there are many openings for dermatological nurses in California? Also, is this a job that I would be able to obtain just out of nursing school? Any advice and information would be so appreciated. Thank you!

NurseJackie in Detroit, Michigan

27 months ago

Hi, all -

I would caution you against getting certified before you secure a postilion. I offer a free mp3 on the topic, "Does Paying for Certification Pay Off." I will tell you that I got a job (in fact, more than one) as a medical aesthetics nurse after a 15-year absence from patient care, an almost impossible feat. Additionally, I interviewed for the positions looking like the middle-aged woman that I am. I did NOT go thru a certification process prior to sending out resumes and interviewing with physicians.

However, BR makes a good point of making sure you understand state regulations. Do your own homework.

To your success,

Jackie
afceducation48123@aol.com or info@ceusforyou.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Global Yogini in Palo Alto, California

27 months ago

B_R in San Jose, California said: Thanks for this information. I'm interested in becoming a RN in California and would love to do all the things you are currently doing. Do you find that there are many openings for dermatological nurses in California? Also, is this a job that I would be able to obtain just out of nursing school? Any advice and information would be so appreciated. Thank you!

You are going to have a hard time getting any RN job in the Bay Area. Be prepared to move out of state. Many of my friends in the Bay Area moved out of state or moved to LA or the central valley to get jobs. I know it is not about money but be prepared to make less then half the salary in a new grad position in southern CA then you would in the Bay Area. The lowest new grad job I have heard someone take in the Bay Area was 85,000 a year in Santa Cruz where my friends in LA suburbs are making between 42,000 to 45,000 to start. But after a year they all found jobs back in the Bay Area.

Hopefully by the time you graduate we will be out of this recession and it will not be as much as a problem.

Since everyone and their grandmother wants to be a nurse and universities across the country are adding nursing to their curriculum there are a lot more new grads out there. And there will continue to be more and more new grads. Even if the economy is really good it will never be as easy as it used to be to land a new grad job. Hospitals don't like hiring new grads because basically they pay double. They pay the new grad and the RN teaching the new grad. And usually after a year or two that new grad moves on. So they invest a lot of time and money and then the new RN leaves for greener pastures. So although it will be a tad easier to find a job when the economy improves, it will never be like what it was before.

Ideally right out of school it is best to do a 2 years on a med surge unit. Then move into the direction you really want to get into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Forever nursing student in Saint Louis, Missouri

19 months ago

Leah in Madison, Wisconsin said: JoIn Rockford..OMG...Why ..OH Why..are you still.. a nurse..if you hate what your do and the importance behind it >? Why do you hate it so..much? I also was wondering since I just recieved my CNA and did exceptionally well and would like to work only in a docotors office, would it be wise to now..after CNA to go and get a CMA and then LPN or.. to go for LPN and forget CMA. Nowadays it seems the more on your resume the better. I live in WI and some clinical director posted a blog that said in WI.LPNS, CNAs and CMAs get hired most and first to cut cost of hiring a RN.Please help me out here. I need to pay my way and support myself and I dont think CNA will do it through RN school. Quite a few LPNS said they are making 20.00 and hour and more. I also.. doubt a CNA will be hirable in a doctors office.

I found that having my being. A med aide helped me with my LPN but it took the long road starting with can then med aid then LPN and now on to RN

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.