Is Nursing right for me???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 75 of 75)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

brambleton in Beltsville, Maryland

53 months ago

wizzywoo in United Kingdom said: which hospital? what grade are you? what do you do? so that's 63,000 pounds, are you on call all the time? can you get a mortgage being on an agency without a guaranteed income? questions, questions!

Continued...
I'm hardly ever on call since there is usually a spot for me somewhere in the hospital. I don't work for an agency, I'm an employee of the hospital-- I just don't belong to any one unit. Mortgage in the DC area on my salary alone is feasible but it would be a condo or townhouse in the suburbs. I also fly for an airline and am married. Together, we are able to afford a nice house 35 miles outside of the District. This area has many dual income professional couples to make ends meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wizzywoo in United Kingdom

53 months ago

ah, i see, so you're the equivalent to a bank nurse here. so what grade nurse are you? how long have you been doing it? do you enjoy it? do you work in all areas/wards? how are you treated by the other staff as you are not a permanant member of a team on a ward, are you given all the rubbish jobs? is your wage before or after tax? i'm guessing a condo is like an apartment or a flat?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

53 months ago

wizzywoo in United Kingdom said:

Hi Wizzywoo,
I am a relatively new nurse, having graduated in 2008. I have been flying for my airline for 25 years and went back to school after 9/11 due to the aviation industry being in crisis after the event, followed immediately by the fuel crisis. To be a bank or agency nurse, you have to have at a minimum two years of experience. I started as a trauma/critical nurse with intentions of going to post-graduate school in anesthesia. Unfortunately, the economy took a dive and I was unable to go to Georgetown University for 3.5 years without working, which is a requirement. So, as soon as I got my two years in, I transferred to the central float pool where I can go to any unit in the hospital except for the operating room, Labor and delivery or Neonatal intensive care. My starting salary in 2008 was $25/hr (before tax) and more than doubled when I went to the pool. Since I know many people all over the hospital, I don't always get the crap assignment, but in general, you can expect to receive the sickest, most demanding patients who are spread out as far as possible on the unit. You also have to maintain competencies on all units at all times whereas a regular nurse only has their specialty to keep up with. Nurses also don't like the idea of not knowing in advance where they will be working for the day, and also having to be pulled to another unit as the need arises. You have to be flexible enough to work in the psych unit and jump to mother/baby, followed by neuro/ortho/post-surgical or wherever. For me, I like not being a part of a unit because you avoid all the office politics and the strict scheduling requirements. The scheduling for the pool has a requirement of only four shifts in eight weeks, you pick the days, but you can sign up for every single day if you wanted without restriction. There are also bonuses offered such as the recent $200 extra per day since they were extremely short, and...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse2B in Carlisle, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: Hi Wizzywoo,
I am a relatively new nurse, having graduated in 2008. I have been flying for my airline for 25 years and went back to school after 9/11 due to the aviation industry being in crisis after the event, followed immediately by the fuel crisis. ...
I really appreciate your posts and insight! Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

53 months ago

this is offered only to the pool nurses due to the flexibility. Health care in the U.S. is extremely costly for employers as well as employees, so the high hourly pay is probably a wash for the hospital, not costing them anymore on the bottom line. Agency and travel nurses get paid a higher hourly too, less than float, but have the option of getting health insurance. Do I enjoy nursing? The answer would be 'NO'. It's a very demanding job with little support from above or below. My dream job is my flying and nursing is my second, back-up career. I still have hope that I will find my place within nursing and find it more enjoyable and rewarding. I believe that place is in the operating room and I am working towards moving in that direction. Hope my rambling gave you some insight!

Bram

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wizzie in Bognor Regis, United Kingdom

53 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: this is offered only to the pool nurses due to the flexibility. Health care in the U.S. is extremely costly for employers as well as employees, so the high hourly pay is probably a wash for the hospital, not costing them anymore on the bottom line. Agency and travel nurses get paid a higher hourly too, less than float, but have the option of getting health insurance. Do I enjoy nursing? The answer would be 'NO'. It's a very demanding job with little support from above or below. My dream job is my flying and nursing is my second, back-up career. I still have hope that I will find my place within nursing and find it more enjoyable and rewarding. I believe that place is in the operating room and I am working towards moving in that direction. Hope my rambling gave you some insight!

Bram

yes, that's been great, thanks Bram, hope you find your dream job :))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unconvinced in Laurel, Maryland

52 months ago

cmoody in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I love your advice! It's amazing what the human spirit can overcome once determination kicks in.

What does she consider "killer money?" $30/hr? Or $40/hr after over time?

deannagray1 in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Maritza Garcia in Louisville, Colorado said: hey guys,
im maritza i am a high school senior and have a one and a half old baby boy and i was thinking of becoming a medical assistant BUT the other day that i took my son to the doctor i told a nurse that that i wanted to become a medical assistant and she said that i would be better to just jump into becoming a nurse because medical assistant is just going to waste my time do you guys think its true??? im really confused as to what i want know i dont want to waste my time and money in something that later i will regret.

You would absolutely be wasting your money with medical assisting. It is a crap job. I am an admissions counselor that is charged with pulling students in on a daily basis and that is one of the programs we offer. Believe me, it is not worth it. Go straight into nursing, lean on your family as much as you can because it is a hard career as far as the schooling goes but will be totally worth. That or dental hygiene. The hours are also flexible there and the money is good. It will provide you and your baby lots of opportunities. It is good that you are doing your research. I would suggest getting your prereqs out tf the way because they are primarily the samew for both careers, apply to both programs and see which one you get into.

Rose in Arlington, Virginia

49 months ago

I am 30 and I have a four months baby. I have graduated in business.I am planning to start nursing program and become a RN. But I am very soft heart person. I am very emotional too. I can't see blood even. Nursing is very prospective field now a days and that is the main reason for me to select RN. I like babies a lot and I enjoy taking care of babies also.And I am thinking to become pediatric nurse. Does anyone advice me should I go for nursing?

T-1 in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

I think you should contact your local hospital and see if you can shadow some nurses. During nursing school you will go through clinicals - that is wher eyou will be on different floors, OB, Psych, Med-surge etc. You need to see if you can handle the secretions, speed and stress before starting your schooling. Plus, you will be able to talk to some nurses on how they handle their emotions and perhaps even meet someone who overcame their blood phobia.
Good Luck!

Fan in Yorktown, Virginia

48 months ago

Hey i know your comment is like 2 yrs old, so im hoping you get this. im 20 and im kind of in the same situation as you were in. i was just wondering how things turned out for you. did you decided to go to scholl and become a nurse. if you read this please respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JB in San Francisco, California

48 months ago

I just graduated from a certified nursing assistant program about 6 months ago and was lucky enough to find work pretty quickly. I am thinking of going to be RN as my next step. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that have a high tolerance for bodily fluids and such. I owe a big thanks to www.cnatrainingdotcom.com for turning me onto the nursing field though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sil2012 in Miami, Florida

48 months ago

I got into the accelerated RN program in MDC...Yay!! I am so happy...it will be hard but I am very determined to get to the finish line...Good luck to everyone with their application process!!

NurseJackie in Detroit, Michigan

48 months ago

Hi, Sil-

I also went through an accelerated nursing program back in 1989/1990. It took us 12 months. Whew! I don't know if i could ever do that again. What do you want to do with your nursing degree when you get out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sil2012 in Miami, Florida

48 months ago

Hi NurseJackie,
I know it will be a brutal long year ahead...I am so determined to finish;)...I am not so sure how I would use my degree yet...If I get burnout from nursing I will be pursuing my Masters on Occupational Therapy...what area of nursing did you practiced in?

48 months ago

sil2012 in Miami, Florida said: Hi NurseJackie,
I know it will be a brutal long year ahead...I am so determined to finish;)...I am not so sure how I would use my degree yet...If I get burnout from nursing I will be pursuing my Masters on Occupational Therapy...what area of nursing did you practiced in?

Hi, Si-

See above for an answer to your question. However, I started out on a med-surg floor.

darwinmoore in New Britain, New York

43 months ago

Nursing is a great and honest profession, it is good to be a nurse. Becoming a nurse in profession is not only for earning money it is also to help people when they need a person to help them from their heart.I am a owner of a old care home ,you can visit my site..www.ctc9.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RAFFMAN in Red Deer, Alberta

43 months ago

Nursing is a very rewarding career. Besides from being a stable job and one of the highest paid job in medical field, you can also work in a different areas of practice. You can become the following:

1. Hospital Staff Nurse in Renal, Cardiology, Pediatrics, Orthopedics, Oncology, Palliative, Critical Care, Rehabilitation, Mental Health, Surgery, Operating Room, Emergency, Burn Unit, Neonatal ICU, Maternity, and Neurology

2. Educator

3. Home Care Nurse

4. Case Coordinator

5. Occupational Health Nurse

6. Military Nurse

7. Correctional Nurse

8. Primary Care Network Nurse

9. Genetic Nurse

10. Research Nurse

and so on ........... and most of all working with healthy and sick people.

I am Physiotherapist and an RN from Canada.

Male Nurse, BSPT, BSN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Congratulations to Raffman and Darwin.

Jackie

sziggy in Victorville, California

43 months ago

Why does everyone want to be a nurse?
I mean, come one, do you you really want to be a nurse? EVERYONE at my community college wants to be a nurse. There can't be that many jobs, I'm sure every nurse is holding tight to their jobs at the moment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Sziggy,

I do not think everyone wants to be a nurse. If your a good observer, there are other jobs in this forum who wants other jobs.

Health care is, and always will be, big business. The population is aging, but children are also always being born and ultimately we value our health more than anything. We may not think about it as much as we should, and it doesn't look like we value our health as we're lining up for our second serving of fast food for the day, but when faced with a major health crisis we do turn to our health care professionals to fix it.

There is also a nursing shortage at this time, and the demand for care will only increase as we grow collectively older and live unhealthy lifestyles.

43 months ago

I meant other people in this forum who wants other jobs.

Raffman, BSPT, BSN, RN

Inland Empire student in Rancho Cucamonga, California

42 months ago

Hello everyone. I am one sememster away before I can apply to the nursing programs in my area. I am a student from the Inland Empire as you can tell in my screen name. I just want to know want kind of jobs will be available in my area when I graduate a few years from now and how much flexibility I will get in my work schedule. Like I heard nurses work for 3-4 days in 8 hour graveyard shifts for new nurses. I also plan on doing ADN to BSN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nikole1808 in houston, Texas

37 months ago

Hello, I was wanting some advice. I know with nursing there are a lot of different things you can do with it. I was just wanting some insight from someone with experience. I'm still not sure if nursing will be right for me or not. Basically I was wanting to know what you can do with nursing that won't involve stab wounds to the stomach or people leg's broken off with bone completely sticking out, (so no ER), and something that won't deal with circumcising babies, (not sure what department that would be), and 9-5 doctor's offices don't make enough money..so what could I do with nursing that doesn't involve that? Some of those things are things that I would never want to deal with. I actually was wanting to go into sonography but the job market for that is absolutely dead right now so everyone's saying if you want to go into the medical field, go into nursing. So that's where I'm at right now! I'm not sure if I'm the type to be able to handle it though..I know other nurses on discussion boards have said that Labor & Delivery is one of the most stressful things to do but for some reason it sounds kind of fun and interesting to me.

If anyone has any information, please reply or email me!
karinicole.white@gmail.com

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Qlwentt in Virginia Beach, Virginia

27 months ago

I wrote an article that might help someone looking for this information: www.nursesschools.com/four-qualities-of-someone-well-suited-for-nursing-aid-14892/

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.