Need advice please

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Jen in Charleston, West Virginia

67 months ago

sorry this is going to be long....

I have a meeting with the guidance counciler next week at a community college. that being said, I think people in the field have a bit more insight then counsilers who i believe tell you more of what they think you want to hear.

I, have been looking into Occupational therapy assistant. With hopes of eventually bridging over to my masters. 5 year minimum to accomplish this.
Here are my problems or concerns....In this area the nearest school to bridge over in WVU. a little far from home ...
with medicaid issues I fear this career may be on the unstable side.
and thus far, I have found 3 jobs in my area for COTA...two paying $20/ hour to start and one only &12/hr. Id never pay off my student dept at $12/hr! so this is concerning me, But depressing me as I think I would really love this field of work.

My other option is to try to get into the LPN program at the community college then bridge over to R.N right after. All of which can be done right here. but a 2 year program for me will take 3 years as I need the math, English comps etc.
I know R.N is a stable field, good money, decent shifts available and a decent range of opportunity. but I also know that I'm mathematically challenged and fear that I could not handle the curriculum in that area to pass! nope, i'm serious, really really mathematically challenged!!

I'm really freaking out trying to figure the best way to go. any advice or direction would be soooo greatly appreciated. I am planning on leaving my job next month to devote my full time into school so I stand to loose a lot if I screw up.
any way, let me know any insight you may have
thank you so much in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Samoan 4 life in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Jen in Charleston, West Virginia said: sorry this is going to be long....

I have a meeting with the guidance counciler next week at a community college. that being said, I think people in the field have a bit more insight then counsilers who i believe tell you more of what they think you want to hear.

I, have been looking into Occupational therapy assistant. With hopes of eventually bridging over to my masters. 5 year minimum to accomplish this.
Here are my problems or concerns....In this area the nearest school to bridge over in WVU. a little far from home ...
with medicaid issues I fear this career may be on the unstable side.
and thus far, I have found 3 jobs in my area for COTA...two paying $20/ hour to start and one only &12/hr. Id never pay off my student dept at $12/hr! so this is concerning me, But depressing me as I think I would really love this field of work.

My other option is to try to get into the LPN program at the community college then bridge over to R.N right after. All of which can be done right here. but a 2 year program for me will take 3 years as I need the math, English comps etc.
I know R.N is a stable field, good money, decent shifts available and a decent range of opportunity. but I also know that I'm mathematically challenged and fear that I could not handle the curriculum in that area to pass! nope, i'm serious, really really mathematically challenged!!

I'm really freaking out trying to figure the best way to go. any advice or direction would be soooo greatly appreciated. I am planning on leaving my job next month to devote my full time into school so I stand to loose a lot if I screw up.
any way, let me know any insight you may have
thank you so much in advance

Jen
I am also mathematically challenged. don't let that stop you. Get tutoring help. If you plan on leaving your job than that's great because now you can devote yourself full time to learning and passing your classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Samoan 4 life in Orlando, Florida

67 months ago

Jen,
If you keep thinking negatively than you most likely will fail. Give yourself a break. As for the COTA program, it's hard to find a school with that program. It's a 2 yr program. If I were you I would at least try for LPN and then work for your RN later. My cousin went for 1 year at some tech school here in FL and became an LPN. They started her at $22/hour in a hospital in Miami. Not bad for 1 year of school. Good Luck.

Nina in Spring Hill, Florida

65 months ago

Samoan 4 life in Orlando, Florida said: Jen,
If you keep thinking negatively than you most likely will fail. Give yourself a break. As for the COTA program, it's hard to find a school with that program. It's a 2 yr program. If I were you I would at least try for LPN and then work for your RN later. My cousin went for 1 year at some tech school here in FL and became an LPN. They started her at $22/hour in a hospital in Miami. Not bad for 1 year of school. Good Luck.

Just so you know for your research; there are many schools out there that do not require the pre-requests for the PN progrm that the community college does. The math and english classes are built into their one year program... Look at the private schools--- many like accredited with the Nursing Board and recieve the same grants and federal assistance that the community colleges do. The course for PN will take you one year and the bridge is another year; but if you get into the right hospitals after you get your PN the hospitals will often pay or assist with the bridge program.
Good Luck in your endevors.

ginseng in Nitro, West Virginia

65 months ago

I have actually found an LPN program that is close to me. If im able to get in, then I complete the 12 month program. they offer a bridge over to RN. It is a part time program for three additional years, and you obtain your bacholors. I do not know about any programs offered in my area, that after completing the LPN program I could bridge over to a full time RN program. I would love to know how much additional time that would require to obtain the Rn status.

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

65 months ago

There is very little math in nursing. You do have to pass medication calculations for dosages but it is at a 9th grade or lower level. Don't sweat the math!

ginseng in Nitro, West Virginia

65 months ago

thank you very much

ljm253 in Franklin, Massachusetts

65 months ago

I just have a question about who is leligible to pass out medication. Do you have to be an RN for that or can an LPN do that and what restictions is there are any between an LPN to RN in regards to meds. I just did clinicals for CNA and saw one person on the med cart the whole shift and was told that is alll she does. So my question is how would I train to be eligible to have that type of job? I was thinking my next step would be the LPN.

65 months ago

It depends on the state. Both LPNs and RNs can dispense meds but in general, LPNs can not give IV drugs that change hemostasis rapidly. Also, in most states, LPNs can not do initial assessment, hang blood without an RN, and do discharge teaching. But again, it depends on the scope of practice outlined by each state and what is recognized by individual facilities. My hospital has an all RN staff. LPNs only work for the LTC and rehab locations--not main hospital.

ljm253 in Franklin, Massachusetts

65 months ago

I am thinking of going to Vocational school for LPN and was wondering what it is I would be learning. I havent been in a classroom envirionment in 10 years and am worried about what the hardest part might be. I am already a CNA and enjoy my work, and think an LPN program would be a good move but worry about how hard it is. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

65 months ago

That's hard to answer since everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I'm an RN-BSN and can only imagine that the LPN program is similar to the RN program minus all the research, leadership/management, and community health classes. So, the LPN curriculum is probably easier than the RN, making it very doable.

65 months ago

As for what you will be learning in an LPN program, you can find your school's curriculum on their website. You can also look at the scope of practice for LPNs in your state. This will tell you what responsibilities you will have as well as your limitations as an LPN. Go to the board of nursing website for your state.

ma in florida in Deltona, Florida

64 months ago

i'm a medical assistant in florida and very interested in going back to college to be a rn. the problem is i have 3 kids and my husband works out of town during the week. does any have any suggestions on how i could go back to college full-time and get loans to live on or get help from a hospital to pay for college so i wouldn't have to work because that would be impossible for me to do both. it would have to be in seminole or volusia county.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.