Once you are a LPN can you become a RN how hard and is it worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 129 of 129)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

mary pal in Alexandria, Louisiana

37 months ago

please tell me what it would be happen if i want to become lpn?
because i come from Asia i can't speak english real good . please sent me if u are a really lpn person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MA in Saint Louis, Missouri

35 months ago

Does anyone know if there is a cut off on the time you are able to take the NCLEX? I graduated in 1994 with a BSN and took the NCLEX twice without passing. The second time I took it I was really close to passing the test but due to my mother being sick I chose to take care of her and was unable to re-take it. I have been unable to get a return call from the Missouri State Board of Nursing on if it is too late. Also, if it is not too late, are there classes I can take to refresh? If it is too late, being I have already went to nursing school will I be able to get into nursing school again for LPN then bridge to RN? I really want to be a nurse as it is my calling but I am not sure which way I can turn. Any advice from a nurse would be greatly appreciated as I am sure I am not the only one in this type of situation. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jan in Forest Hills, New York

35 months ago

what is the starting salary for CNAs in New York, NY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kre2000

34 months ago

I am a CNA/PCT working at a hospital in Florida, would it be ok to go to nursing school to be an RN? And would it be hard to get your RN considering that I don't have much experience except being a pct and cna. Which is the way to go for me? Anybody know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kre2000

34 months ago

I am a CNA/PCT working at a hospital in Florida, would it be ok to go to nursing school to be an RN? And would it be hard to get your RN considering that I don't have much experience except being a pct and cna. Which is the way to go for me? Anybody know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

theirmomhislady

33 months ago

AngelDoll15 in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Hello everyone! I am confused as to which route to take. Here in NC, they require me to become a CNA before I can take classes for RN. Or I can do LPN and then RN. Here is the thing If I do CNA, its first CNA 1 get certified then work as CNA for 6 months before I can take CNA 2....keep in mind I have to have both CNA's before I can go to school for RN. I'm not sure if I should do LPN to RN because I'm not sure if I would have to take the NCLEX twice, once for LPN then again for RN....can someone please help me.

That's not true at all.. I live in NC and am going for my RN .. they can't make you be a CNA first.. its your education and your choice..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jboudreau in Greenfield, New Hampshire

33 months ago

Hi
I have been a LPN for 20 years. For the past10 years I have done Family Support Coordination for a Program that works with families with Children with Chronic Health Conditions. It is not clinical.It is more of a case management position. My husband was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma Cancer. I know that realistically it isn't the best time to continue my education. However I am faced with a potential of state budget cuts that could effect my job. I am thinking of the future. I am considering starting the process to go for the RN. My goal would not be working in a hospital Setting I was lucky enough to have worked in a hospital so I do have a past history of Med/Surg If I am looking to work as a Case manager do the classes require the clinical time? I am not sure given my current situation I could physically pull that part off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Helen in Kansas City, Missouri

33 months ago

Hi Jboudreau,
I'm so sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. I hope he does well, and my thoughts go out to both of you. Do you know about a new kind of schooling (at least new since I went to school 20+ years ago!), that allows you to fast-track from your LPN to RN? It's called Achieve Test Prep, and you can attend classes physically if you live near to one of their campuses nationwide, or you can attend classes virtually, which might be an enormous help for you given your situation. All the classes are taught by RN's. Essentially, you are able to test out of classes instead of taking them at college. This is not self-study, they work with you to insure you know the material needed. They even offer tutoring if necessary. But it is faster, and they give lots of support. You can look into them for yourself at www.achievetestprep.com/info. They would be able to explain the clinical requirement for you as well, I'm sure. Best of luck to you and your husband.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JackieG in West Palm Beach, Florida

31 months ago

This is an old post, but this kind of sums it up for people still following. goo.gl/rPjPJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Letteria in High Point, North Carolina

31 months ago

theirmomhislady said: That's not true at all.. I live in NC and am going for my RN .. they can't make you be a CNA first.. its your education and your choice..

It is true if you are getting your education through a local community college. And I agree, it is confusing. CNA I and CNA II and you have to complete CNA II to go to RN program but you have to be an LPN as well. CONFUSING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SaraS in Bells, Texas

29 months ago

Jancie in Cleveland, Ohio said: I graduated from LPN school at age 61! Yes, stressful, but then I didn't get my BA until I was 50. Just a late bloomer...

I also have some serious health issues, but am hoping to go on for my RN. Older doesn't mean useless, it means many life experiences, such as caring for older relatives, and a wealth of information that you can only get through life. Oh yeah...there were very few medicines I wasn't familiar with from self and family members! Good luck!

Loved to read this. I am 56 just finishing pre reqs for RN programme. Moved to Texas so had to add Statistics and Chemistry. It can be done. I guess at times I get scared at the idea of RN programme but if I could manage the anatomy and physiology and college algebra whilst holding down a full time job and working weekends as a caregiver I might suceed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina

28 months ago

Janeta in Phoenix, Arizona said: Suggestion: Volunteer at your local hospital /nursing home so you will have a feel if this is the right career for you. If you really love interacting to the patient, not scared of blood, not stress of their living condition, then this might be it. Best of luck.

health care work/NURSING suxx a big one, believe me-- no $$$ or benifits either!!!. save your time.. biggest hospital nfear me layiing off 1000 this week!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

diamond in Fayetteville, North Carolina

27 months ago

AngelDoll15 in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Hello everyone! I am confused as to which route to take. Here in NC, they require me to become a CNA before I can take classes for RN. Or I can do LPN and then RN. Here is the thing If I do CNA, its first CNA 1 get certified then work as CNA for 6 months before I can take CNA 2....keep in mind I have to have both CNA's before I can go to school for RN. I'm not sure if I should do LPN to RN because I'm not sure if I would have to take the NCLEX twice, once for LPN then again for RN....can someone please help me.

I am in the same boat. At the community college here it is a requirements before you are a rE limited into the rn program that you are first a registered CNA. or that you have worked a certain anount out of hours as a lpn. I am currently taking classes toward my lpn. i do not want to have to go back through cna courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

beachmaus in Twin Falls, Idaho

25 months ago

nurse Kathy said: I'm not sure what you do for a living but I can guarantee that you wouldn't do it for nothing or low pay no matter how much you love it. Nursing is the most difficult job I've ever had. When the responsibility of someones life is in my hands I think fair and equitable pay is expected.

When I started in nursing I worked in a small hospital in SE Idaho, I was the only person on duty on the night shift and the Doc was 3 blocks away if I needed him and I was an LPN. This was a long time ago, and what was my FAB wage?? $5.40 including my shift differential, so yeah for sure you had to love it. My husband was a machinist and earned almost $80K that same year, so it explains the value of human live vs the engine of a vehicle huh?? What has kept me from taking the RN course is that I want to be a nurse not a Dr, not a PA, a nurse, but RN's have been muddying the waters for years and now are responsible for making sure the Doc's and PA's prescribe properly at still 1/2 the wage :( You have to love the profession to stick with it, although it does pay much better today than 40 years ago, but the liability has gotten out of hand. Personally it is my believe the prerequisite for ANY licensed health care provider should start at the CNA level. After 6 months of CNA duty is satisfied, they should move forward and stop at the level they are comfortable with. However many people get into nursing thinking about "saving lives" and forgetting about the blood and poop! I am older now and finally have the time to finish my RN program and will hopefully be done this year. But for those of you just considering the profession, I strongly suggest you work as a CNA you may love it, which is grand because when you graduate from Nursing School or Med school you will remember who the backbone of the healthcare industry is and if you hate it you haven't invested anything more than your time and were paid for it to boot :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AtlantaRN in Buford, Georgia

22 months ago

Nadia in Montreal, Quebec said: whay is it that everyone is talking about the money , not loving being a nurse, that is why hospitals are filled with bad nurses

Its quite simple. People are talking about the money because the original poster wanted to know whether it was worth becoming an RN rather than an LPN. In most states, they do very nearly the same job, and the only significant difference in most states is the pay scale. Enjoying being a nurse or caring for patients is not relevant to the decision, because that will be the same whether the original poster chooses to be an LPN or an RN. It is foolish to focus your decision making solely on the things that will not change based on your decision (Logic 101). Now, if the original poster had asked whether it is worth becoming a nurse at all, then money would be only a minor concern.

However, thank you for your snide remarks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Mount Morris, Michigan

21 months ago

Rossann in North Port, Florida said: Mac 1105 college algebra is all you need to become an RN. They have many tutors in colleges and their job is to teach you so dont be intimidated because the colleges really do want to see you graduate

I just want to know one thing though-what about english. I can't get over how ignorant so many people sound when they can't spell simple words...I see it too much here

that comment really made her feel good. Its people like you that makes people nervous about taking that step to go to college.She asked one question you could have kept the rest for your self

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Mount Morris, Michigan

21 months ago

Its people like you that discourage people from going to college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CaptainsLog in Redmond, Washington

21 months ago

Infoholic in Barrie, Ontario said: Actually I found that bridging from an LPN to an RN sounds like it will be extremely beneficial, considering the huge nursing shortage predicted over the next 10 years. I found excellent details below
rnbridgeprograms.com/lpn-to-rn-bridge-programs/

Phoenix University wouldn't be my first choice and that is what your site suggests. I mean Phoenix charges more than $600 a unit, more than many Ivy League colleges. Phoenix is just a for-profit institution and you don't get your money's worth. I'd look into community colleges to get your LPN degree sorted out. Even if you had to wait an extra year to get in, at least your wouldn't be tens of thousands of dollars in debt when you got out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bab3 Blu3 in Greensboro, North Carolina

18 months ago

Hey im 17 in highschool and im wandering when i graduate with my CNA how long will it take me to get my LPN? Then after i get my LPN how long will it take me to get my RN? Also i want to no if it is hars? So please reply and let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Nampa, Idaho

15 months ago

Who do I go through to challenge the first year of RN school? I am an LPN in Nampa Idaho. I moved here from California 8 months ago and have interviewed for LPN jobs numerous times over the months and I am not able to get a job.

FSimpson in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

14 months ago

Nadia in Montreal, Quebec said: whay is it that everyone is talking about the money , not loving being a nurse, that is why hospitals are filled with bad nurses

I agree, Money should not be the factor when you are deciding on becoming an RN. You have to be a very compassionate person that cares for the well being of people of all walks of life and ages and the paycheck should just be a bonus in doing what you love.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

parklean in Norfolk, Virginia

12 months ago

Janice in Memphis, Tennessee said: I say go for it if this is what you want. I know that your husband is a big part of your life and should be respected. But, what happens if something should happen to him or you all are not together later on, who will you have to blame because you were allowing someone else to dedde your destiny? One must make their own deision when it comes to such an important one as a lifetime dream. It may be too late to look back and say "I should have done this?"

Very hard on the feet LPN for 11 years. Plantar fasciitis in just right foot for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

parklean in Norfolk, Virginia

12 months ago

Nursing is very bad on your feet. I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

greenbeans in Tempe, Arizona

5 months ago

MA in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Does anyone know if there is a cut off on the time you are able to take the NCLEX? I graduated in 1994 with a BSN and took the NCLEX twice without passing. The second time I took it I was really close to passing the test but due to my mother being sick I chose to take care of her and was unable to re-take it. I have been unable to get a return call from the Missouri State Board of Nursing on if it is too late. Also, if it is not too late, are there classes I can take to refresh? If it is too late, being I have already went to nursing school will I be able to get into nursing school again for LPN then bridge to RN? I really want to be a nurse as it is my calling but I am not sure which way I can turn. Any advice from a nurse would be greatly appreciated as I am sure I am not the only one in this type of situation. Thanks in advance.

It is a good idea to study with these questions in mind, as the NCLEX supports. What is the safest for the patient. Safety is always first. 2. Do I delegate this job to the family ? No, you are the nurse.. NXLEX wants to know what you as the nurse is going to do.. Additionally, if a patient is experiencing adverse affects from a medication.. stop the drug.. call the DR. always have vitals before you call a DR. unprofessional not have vitals.. If you delegate to a LPN you are always responsible for asking the LPN to explain how they are going to do it... tell the LPN to tell you when she is finished and what the results were.. Go into the patients room and check the work.. you are responsible.. remember that. ask.... how, why, when, what, and how.... regarding all steps of nursing.. if you know these you will understand the nursing process... medications... go online and do some practice tests.. everynight do them before you go to sleep think about it.. it will stay with you for some reason.. know the side affects of medications. hypertension medications.. uh oh, too low..

elaine in Oakland, California

4 months ago

Marlinda in Biloxi, Mississippi said: Hi,
I was a LPN for 5yrs, loved every year of it. Then we moved from Mobile, AL to Boise, Idaho, where the LPN's were basically, only allowed to do, what the 'SOUTHERNER'S' call nurses aide duties (we couldn't even hang regular IV fluids without taking a special course). Anyway, this pushed me into seeking information into becoming a RN. To my pleasure, I found out that a LPN could challenge the first year of the 2 year program, be sure to check into this possibility if you choose to go back for your RN, which you will make have more choices and make more money.

And just another small bit of advice, after reading some of the other nurses' responses about the Associates program (ADN)vs the Bachelors program (BSN). Something to think about, if you do the ADN program first, then work a few years and find out this is not really what you wanted, then you can use your other 2 years, with your RN nursing experience, to go into something like a social worker; clinical research associate ; utilization review manager; or case manager ; etc.

If you find any of this info. helpful, please feel free to e-mail me and ask. I have been a nurse for over 20 yrs now, worked my way up the ladder from LPN to RN-BSN and I have been in the Army reserves-if you happen to have any questions about the military-it was mandatory that I had to get my BSN when I joined the Army.

Hi my name is elaine, am trying to be an rn, but in order for you to become an rn do you have to begin with an lvn program first?

Jeff in Malibu, California

4 months ago

Hi Marlinda in Biloxi, Mississippi,

I am impressed with your knowledge and writing. I would love to talk to you further about writing and sharing your knowledge about nursing degrees, careers, and jobs on a nursing web site or two? Is that of any interest to you? Becoming a Career Guide by writing and helping others?

If so, please write me at - lpn (at) onlinedegrees101.com.

Regards,

Jeff

arabella in Aurora, Colorado

3 months ago

nurse Kathy said: I'm not sure what you do for a living but I can guarantee that you wouldn't do it for nothing or low pay no matter how much you love it. Nursing is the most difficult job I've ever had. When the responsibility of someones life is in my hands I think fair and equitable pay is expected.
Just don't come to Colorado to work if you've been out of work for 6mo. You won't even be considered. AND, their pay is probably the lowest in the country, with a VERY high cost of living.
And if you are an old timer (over 10yrs experience), they will give you an "integrity" test, that is SUBJECTIVE, that does not apply to the job you are applying for, no standards for the testing, each institution chooses whatever test they want to give, no matter how ludicrous, and no accountability for why you "passed or failed". If you are really experienced, likely you will fail because they have found this way to skirt around the laws of EEOC, SO TRANSPARENT! They will be caught. They don't want to have to pay the big bucks.

Godtime in Manassas, Virginia

2 months ago

Dear Applicant,
Browse through the loan company payday Plc where all financial needs are made to your Satisfaction. Are you Looking for a loan to start a business or if you need a loan to pay your bills here is a Opportunity for you to get a new loan, we offer loan of any kind apply and be bless.
Contact us via (pastorgodtimeloanfirms@gmail.com) for more information
I look forward to the response

GodTime Alisha
finance company loans
CEO/MD

Serenity in Bronxville, New York

1 month ago

Greetins, Wonderful Nurses

I read many of the comments in which I thank all of you. My concern is being denied the chance of Nursing school because of a prior offense. I do not have a long history of breaking the law at all. Unfortunately, my senseless act derived from the recession we were in, I lost my job and only had enough to pay the next weeks rent. My unemployment seemed to take forever to kick.

Lets just say I was literally starving m struggling and stressed. So I resorted to an unlawful act. I am not proud of it and look back feeling so stupid. I am worried that this misdemeanor can cause me to be denied for an LPN program. What do you guys think, I was told that I could get a certificate of release, do you think that will help.?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.