Potential Nurse--any advice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

VanessaLove in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

Hi everyone,
My name is Vanessa and I am currently taking prerequisites to go to nursing school. The only problem is that I have a preexisting back problem (I can only lift 20-30 pounds). My mother, who is an RN, says that there are plenty of jobs that require little to no lifting, but I think she has a pretty strong bias :). I know that there are nursing supervisor, professor, etc, jobs, but are there any for someone fresh from nursing school? Brutal honesty would be appreciated.
Thanks
Vanessa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tuscand@netzero.com in Saint Petersburg, Florida

59 months ago

VanessaLove in Houston, Texas said: Hi everyone,
My name is Vanessa and I am currently taking prerequisites to go to nursing school. The only problem is that I have a preexisting back problem (I can only lift 20-30 pounds). My mother, who is an RN, says that there are plenty of jobs that require little to no lifting, but I think she has a pretty strong bias :). I know that there are nursing supervisor, professor, etc, jobs, but are there any for someone fresh from nursing school? Brutal honesty would be appreciated.
Thanks
Vanessa

Hey Vanessa. First off, it is hard to obtain a supervisor or teaching position fresh out of school, unless you go for either bachelor or masters degree.

Homehealth care or Hospice care are areas that I have worked that did not require lifting.

In theory, one should use good body mechanics and utilize co-workers to help with lifting and if you are not shy and ask, this can work. But what would you do if you are passing a room and see a patient, who is very weak and unsteady, attempting to get from a chair to the bed and is about to fall. Nobody else is around. Do you protect your back and not assist, or do you help the patient? This happened to me and my instincts were to help the patient. I sat on the chair and pulled her into my lap. I thought I was accomplishing both, protecting my back and my patient. Big mistake!! I rumptured my L5-6.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck in your career pursuit.

GREATPILLAR in Norcross, Georgia

59 months ago

MY SWEET HEART, KEEP HOPE ALIVE, YOU CAN MAKE IT. IT ALL BEGINS RIGHT INSIDE OF YOU.IF THAT`S YOUR DREAM; GO AHEAD AND FULFILL IT. BLESS YOU

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.