Pros and Cons of Nursing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Applegirl89 in Florida

21 months ago

I would like to know the pros and cons of having a career in nursing. Give it to me straight. I would rather know now than later. Also if anyone has done ultrasound as well; do you like ultrasound or nursing better? I already have my degree and registries in ultrasound but looking into nursing for the variety of career paths I can go into. Ex.: med/surg, peds, etc. Also if you are a nurse, which specialty do you work in and do you like it or not? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

momRN in Lander, Wyoming

21 months ago

My main concern for you entering the nursing profession at this time is - there is a GLUT of new graduate RN's. It is especially competitive to get into the more lucrative areas such as OB, ER, OR PEDS,ect and in some locales hospitals will NOT hire new graduate RN's at all.

In response to the perceived 'nursing shortage' nursing schools have been churning out far more nurses than the health care employers want to hire. Sure, they still want nurses who already have experience but they don't like having to orient new grads if they don't have to. Due to the economy, experienced RN's are coming out of retirement or delaying it - thereby the applicant pool is full of more qualified nurses so they often will not even consider a new graduate.

This will change someday because the RN workforce is aging (according to the studies I have seen) but I don't predict any change to the job market for at least 5 years - if anything it will get harder.

I would go with the ultrasound job. You might just be in demand since there aren't as many schools for ultrasound techs. I doubt you would have any more difficulty getting a job for that than nursing. Check into it for yourself. Practically every ABC community college in America (in addition to universities and private schools) is now producing a class of nurses 1x or 2x a year. Many of these programs have popped up in the past 5 yrs or so and I have read about more schools trying to start nursing schools.

It is too bad that nursing is sugar coated by the news media the way it is. Some jobs are okay, but there are alot of them that you don't want no matter how much the pay might be due to dangerous working conditions, unreasonable work assignments, out of touch and punitive managers who only care about the $$$.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

momRN in Lander, Wyoming

21 months ago

Applegirl89 in Florida said: I would like to know the pros and cons of having a career in nursing. Give it to me straight. I would rather know now than later. Also if anyone has done ultrasound as well; do you like ultrasound or nursing better? I already have my degree and registries in ultrasound but looking into nursing for the variety of career paths I can go into. Ex.: med/surg, peds, etc. Also if you are a nurse, which specialty do you work in and do you like it or not? Thank you!

I forgot to answer your last question. Yes I am a RN. I graduated from an ADN program 7 yrs ago and I have worked psych, med/surg/ LTC and am currently working in a state run facility for developmentally disabled people. My current job I like the best so far - the reason being I work for the state. We always have ample supplies, brand new equipment, supportive managers and awesome bennies. A far cry from every other job I had working for 'for profit' corporations. I was really lucky to get this job - the turnover is very low.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Moon Starr in Odenton, Maryland

14 months ago

CON: zero jobs. the market is saturated with new grads and experienced nurses. Many nurses are in USA on visas so they are taking away jobs.

Many nurses hate their jobs, some love it. Management stinks at most hospitals and long term care facilities. "Medical assistants" and "IV Techs" are taking jobs away from RNs all over the country.

I have a BSN, years and years of experience and am a CDE. I live in the diabetes capital of the country and cannot find a job as a CDE, lol. Case management has many vacancies but you need a CCM certificate and experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.