Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 316)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

nurskug in Schenectady, New York

49 months ago

Molloy College in Long Island offers RN refresher programs. It will cost you about $1800, its 6 weeks. I just completed it and I can tell you it didn't seem to make a difference. I applied to all the hospitals in my area and no one responded back. I am working, part time and per diem, but not in a hospital. They are right, just take what you can get, put in 6 months to a year, and then reapply to a hospital. Hospital orientations are what we need, not the refresher program. Someone stated its a scam to make money, I think they are correct. Nursing shortage? I don't think so, some of us who are seasoned need to be accepted back in for nursing to get back on track. Nurses do not back each other, they back stab etc. Male nurses still have it better, it is a boys club out there, and we make that continue to happen because we can't seem to work together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi

49 months ago

I wish nurses would contact their state Representatives in droves!!!! My sister tells me that those foreign nurses in the hospitals in houston treat American nurses like crap, especially when there is a whole floor of them against one or two of us. If you do not look up your State Rep and make a complaint about the healthcare field being taken over from American Nurses who need jobs then you ask for what you get. It is time for us to stand up for one another instead of all the backstabbing and competition! Come one NURSES! Whether you are LPN or LVN or RN or even higher degrees, PLEASE.. it Obama has the new healthcare going in, then maybe they can put a stop to the outsiders taking or jobs! Get your letters or emails to that State Rep, or even Congress. See what the State Board of Nursing where you live feels about this issue too. Do something! Or lose out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi

49 months ago

nurskug in Schenectady, New York said: Molloy College in Long Island offers RN refresher programs. It will cost you about $1800, its 6 weeks. I just completed it and I can tell you it didn't seem to make a difference. I applied to all the hospitals in my area and no one responded back. I am working, part time and per diem, but not in a hospital. They are right, just take what you can get, put in 6 months to a year, and then reapply to a hospital. Hospital orientations are what we need, not the refresher program. Someone stated its a scam to make money, I think they are correct. Nursing shortage? I don't think so, some of us who are seasoned need to be accepted back in for nursing to get back on track. Nurses do not back each other, they back stab etc. Male nurses still have it better, it is a boys club out there, and we make that continue to happen because we can't seem to work together.

I agree wholeheartedly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts

49 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I agree wholeheartedly!

I kind of figured.... Hospitals are really being stubborn.

destcyr in Portland, Connecticut

49 months ago

I totally agree with you. But I can't work per diem it would cut off my unemployment and I wouldn't get any benefits, ie health insurance. On a per diem basis i could work 4 days one week , none the next week, one the week after etc..... I need a consistent salary. I am a single mom with 2 kids in college. I, luckily, have a home and car and all the expenses that go along with owning it and car payments(which I need in order to hopefully get a job) it is scary and the longer you don't work the rustier you get. I totally agree that hospitals should just have a 3 month orientation and because we still have some medical knowledge, we should be able to do it. it's sooooo frustrating out there, and Connecticut seems to be the worse!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeneciePie in Tracy, California

49 months ago

I have a current license, but I just let my advanced certification lapse. How can I pay $300 to maintain it when I can't get hired anywhere? I did write the CA BRN who told me it was a "personnel" issue that they would not involve themselves in! Hospitals say to do some registry work to get back in and registries say try a hospital to get new experience. So, at 60 I am looking at reinventing myself.
Not what I had planned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RB in Honolulu, Hawaii

49 months ago

I agree with everyone about how we definitely need RN refresher courses in hospital settings, or at least a classroom outside the hospital setting that is conducted by an RN staff. I have graduated 5 years ago, was 5 months pregnant at time of nursing graduation, got my RN license 3 years after and now in search for a job. I have had no prior experience besides nursing school and in need of a refresher courses. I did have some opportunities 3 years ago but didn't take them because I chose to take care of my child. I thought that there were always going be looking for nurses so I figure I care for my child and look for a job later. Boy, was i wrong! Also, there are NO RN refresher courses here in Hawaii. I did sign up for the Kane Educational Seminar that would take place in Hawaii but they cancelled due to not having enough enrollment for their seminar. It is really frustrating and thinking about going to back school to get my BSN but again, don't want a student loan over my head. If anyone out there has some advice, please give it to me because i am ready to give up. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Vidor, Texas

49 months ago

To RB in Hawaii

You can try the kidney dialysis centers. In our area Frescenius is a common one. They are usually willing to train you. I wish you the very best. Hang in there, my friend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

RB in Ewa Beach, Hawaii

49 months ago

Thank you Judy for your response and also taking the time to read my post! I know alot of us feel so discouraged thinking that nurses will almost be certain to get a job even after 4 years of delay due to as they call "nursing shortage"?!? Anyway, I will definitely look into it.

destcyr in Meriden, Connecticut

49 months ago

I am looking for a job after 4 months of being unemployed. No one wants to hire me if I haven't had experience in that particular field. I thought when I went into nursing that you could switch fields whenever. Most would train you at that time, now in this ugly economic time, no one wants to train anyone. they just want someone who is very experienced and that's it. It surely is an employers market and they can just pick and choose. the unfortunatley thing is that they can give you or not give you benefits. they can give lower salaries because they know people are desperate for a job. It is a very ugly climate and it has turned some employers into petty, greedy individuals. It really is very sad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

It just seems to me that we are in the same boat as all the Tech people during the Dot Bomb...lots of foreigners with H-3 visas had all the jobs (probably paid less) and lots of Americans out of work. Maybe it would be good to address this with you State Reps and Congresspeople. Its all very well to say we need foreign labor to do "jobs Americans wont do" but this is not farm labor! I remember working with a re-entry nurse years ago who had been out 20 years and the hospital gave her a 6 month orientation! Sure it was at a lower wage, and I'm sure she had to sign a contract to stay...BUT she got hired. Now the hospitals have the ability to hire cheap foreign nurses and pay less so what do you think that means for American trained nurses who are looking for work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RB in Ewa Beach, Hawaii

49 months ago

Just wondering if anyone ever took a RN refesher course online such as from Washington State University. I want to take it but really wants to know your opinions on these refresher courses...if it's worth it or not! If not, anyone know what other options we can try if we are starting our nursing career 5 yrs later from graduating nursing school. I'm trying to think very positive that we will all get back into the careers that we want....just need some confidence and motivation!!!! I know I need some. Thank god for this website!

49 months ago

RB in Ewa Beach, Hawaii said: Just wondering if anyone ever took a RN refesher course online such as from Washington State University. I want to take it but really wants to know your opinions on these refresher courses...if it's worth it or not! If not, anyone know what other options we can try if we are starting our nursing career 5 yrs later from graduating nursing school. I'm trying to think very positive that we will all get back into the careers that we want....just need some confidence and motivation!!!! I know I need some. Thank god for this website!

I know of a few nurses that spent alot of money on the refresher course and still haven't heard from any of the hospitals they applied to. I know it's probably a good idea to do especially if you can afford it. In Connecticut it's $2100.00 or more and being unemployed after 30 years of nursing and it's still hard to get a job. I would love to find a place that will orient you to the job and even if I had to sign a contract that makes me stay there a couple of years I could certainly do that. But can't find any here! Connecticut is bad for jobs right now.

RB in Ewa Beach, Hawaii

49 months ago

Thank you for your reply! Connecticut would have been another option for me to go to due to the refresher course offered by Charter Oak College. Now, I may just have to think of more options...even if I have to downgrade myself to a CNA or LPN.

49 months ago

RB in Ewa Beach, Hawaii said: Thank you for your reply! Connecticut would have been another option for me to go to due to the refresher course offered by Charter Oak College. Now, I may just have to think of more options...even if I have to downgrade myself to a CNA or LPN.

Oh don't do that. that is the problem with nurses, they are so willing to give up what they deserve for something less. I think that's why most employers pay nurses so little, because we will take it!! I don't know , but I have been in the nursing field for 30 years and I know that I don't want to do what all new nurses do, which is work for little money and work the night shifts. I have already done that--been there and done that! I should be making more and being aprreciated more, but nooooooo- most employers step on us like we're so replaceable! It's frustrating. I just want to be able to go into a job and get trained so that I can do my job well and be appreciated for all the hard work I do -that's all. and it is so hard. I can't tell you the number of interviews I have been on just for them to tell me that the job was already taken but that if I want I can work per diem (no benefits) and work the night shift because that is really what their need is. Uhmmmmmmmm! Tired of it!

Sam RN BSN in Miami, Florida

49 months ago

I could not agree more with this refresher dilemma. I have graduated from nursing school with my BSN in 2007 as a 2nd career at 40, licensed 5 months later, well in the meantime, I had gone broke in nursing schoool and had to take a non nursing position to get the bills paid while waiting to sit for boards, so I stay at the non nursing job in sales (I am so not a sales person but i have to fake it and sales suck ) since the economy is starting to tank, wife gets laid off. So now im being told that with 1 year out of school its hard to get into a residency/versant program, now 2 years same thing, today 3 years to the month now its refresher course!! Preferably at MDC, lecture all day sundays and wed /thru 5-9 pm,that really doesnt help since most daytime jobs work 8-5/ 9-5:30.I should have taken that tech job after nursing school and just filed for bankruptcy,perhaps I would be a working nurse with bad credit... Im about to discard this pipedream

49 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: To RB in Hawaii

You can try the kidney dialysis centers. In our area Frescenius is a common one. They are usually willing to train you. I wish you the very best. Hang in there, my friend!

I just applied lets see what happens.

Sherry in Kennesaw, Georgia

49 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I have help info for nurses in need: www.nurses.org/stories.htm this is a nurse help place for finances, or maybe a one time help. It also takes donations to help other nurses. Please help them if you are a working nurse and can afford it. It may be your needs met one day. Otherwise, I am going to suggest searches with various words in nursing such as: Nurse.org. or Nurse.com or RN Career Center, or Medi-smart.com or deltahcp.com or Yahoo hot jobs.com
or Jobs.net, or Gambro.com which is another dialysis company as is Davita. They often train. NurseOptions.com, Deaconess health System. HotNursejobs.com or Simplyhired.

I know most nurses say they are not so computer literate that they will not try to write to the Senator/State rep for the nursing help we need. But...if you won't add your voice, then who will? I will. Search online: U.S.Senate or Senators or U.S. Also do some searches for help getting back into the nursing field after being out...think ladies and gents, search by different names for what you are looking for. You are not beaten. I trust Jesus Christ to get me through the mess I am facing. Also my dear, dear, nursing buddy who is now in ICU from a burst small intestine! She is needing prayer.Her name is ANITA! She has a family, and life just like the rest of us. She is an RN and a sister Nurse. Please pray for her! thanks. if I find anything to help you all, I will post it! May God bless!

www.nurse.org/stories does not exist.

49 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I wish nurses would contact their state Representatives in droves!!!! My sister tells me that those foreign nurses in the hospitals in houston treat American nurses like crap, especially when there is a whole floor of them against one or two of us. If you do not look up your State Rep and make a complaint about the healthcare field being taken over from American Nurses who need jobs then you ask for what you get. It is time for us to stand up for one another instead of all the backstabbing and competition! Come one NURSES! Whether you are LPN or LVN or RN or even higher degrees, PLEASE.. it Obama has the new healthcare going in, then maybe they can put a stop to the outsiders taking or jobs! Get your letters or emails to that State Rep, or even Congress. See what the State Board of Nursing where you live feels about this issue too. Do something! Or lose out.

I know exactly what your sister is going through. It happened to me a few years back. Little by little one by one the foreign nurses on the floor I worked at got each and every one of us either fired or got us to quit out of fustration. They don't belong here when American nurses are trying their darnest to get jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Marcia Cannavino in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Contact Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw Ga. They have a terriffic RN Refresher Course they offer on line and in the Class Room Twice a year.

It's terrific as long as you have about 3 grand to pay for the course and all the other stuff they require - books, chest xray, physical, fingerprints etc. Where do struggling laid off workers go to find that kind of money?

Judy in Beaumont, Texas

49 months ago

To Sherry in Georgia,

I am standing on Psalm 107:20 for Anita. With God all things are possible.

Judy<><

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

and I can say $3000.00 just doesn't drop out of the sky on your front lawn! I think all these refreshers should be taught in the hospital as part of the orientation don't you???????? I think it's such a scam and only because hospitals are laying off and they aren't hiring you after that because of no experience!!

Guylou46 in Fairfield, Connecticut

48 months ago

I just past my NCLEX a couple a weeks ago and now I am also facing the "refresher course dilemma". I have a BSN from Canada, but also a US citizen. I have been out of the job for 23 yrs, and I do need a good refresher... However, Charter Oak college has just changed their to an ONLINE course, for $2600 now. The other option is St Vincent college, at $3,000 offer only in the spring. Well that's not great because how are you supposed to relearn things by watching them performed on a virtual classroom..???? I don't feel good about it, for I know i need the hospital settings!

So, does anyone knows if you can take refresher in other states? Thanks to you all and God bless your efforts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: I just applied lets see what happens.

They never called me back. Figures.

776 in Flower Mound, Texas

48 months ago

took refresher, studied and passed nclex, have rn license, previous 7 years experience, negated by taking time out to raise a family, previously positive happy RN, feeling totally slapped in the face. Oh received email offering phone interview, gave choice of dates, sent back choice, no follow up to email or calls. hey we would like to interview you. oh we were just messing with you ha ha . how professional?

776 in Flower Mound, Texas

48 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I wish nurses would contact their state Representatives in droves!!!! My sister tells me that those foreign nurses in the hospitals in houston treat American nurses like crap, especially when there is a whole floor of them against one or two of us. If you do not look up your State Rep and make a complaint about the healthcare field being taken over from American Nurses who need jobs then you ask for what you get. It is time for us to stand up for one another instead of all the backstabbing and competition! Come one NURSES! Whether you are LPN or LVN or RN or even higher degrees, PLEASE.. it Obama has the new healthcare going in, then maybe they can put a stop to the outsiders taking or jobs! Get your letters or emails to that State Rep, or even Congress. See what the State Board of Nursing where you live feels about this issue too. Do something! Or lose out.

ouch! I am English, a foreign nurse, I would never treat another nurse like ####. I
also worked in London and welcomed American Nurses. People travel and move
that is how the world goes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dkboone in Fayetteville, Georgia

48 months ago

I just moved to Georgia from VA and have held active RN licenses in TX, AR, and VA. I worked in all 3 states; however, over the last several years have done primarily volunteer work as an unpaid RN (Girl Scout Camp Nurse, vision/hearing screenings..) The state of GA does not recognize volunteer hours, only paid, employer verified hours. I did go back to work for pay last year as an H1N1 nurse. I also conducted wellness clinics. It was very part-time work and I only accumulated 315 hours of paid time over the last several months.

I was told by two different staffers at the State that I should not have any problem getting my application approved for my GA license because their minimum requirements state "at least 3 months or 500 hours worked in the preceding four years." The three months employment should have been my saving grace but apparently not. My application, according to online tracking, is no longer there, meaning, my application fee, background check fee, Nursys fee, etc., was all for naught. I was already hired to do seasonal flu clinics pending obtaining my GA license and now I have to do a refresher course just to conduct flu clinics? Really? I have no desire to return to work full-time, let alone shell out $3000 just to go back to work on a seasonal, part-time basis.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to currently work (kids in school), but I wanted to, at least part-time!!!

Denece in Tracy, California

48 months ago

776 in Flower Mound, Texas said: ouch! I am English, a foreign nurse, I would never treat another nurse like ####. I
also worked in London and welcomed American Nurses. People travel and move
that is how the world goes!

There is a vast difference between the nurse who relocates herself and the hospitals actively recruiting foreign nurses who will work for less. Just a few years ago one could not even take boards in the USA unless you had graduated from an accredited school here or had reciprocal agreement with local BRN and that of your country of origin. Now, it seems anyone can get a US license. That is what has American nurses steamed. It would make sense to give work visas if there was a need, but that does not seem to be the present case. When there WAS a nursing shortage we saw nurses who had been out of practice up to 20 years get hired back with hospitals extending orientation. Now it is cheaper to hire a foreign nurse and our own new grads and nurses attempting to re-enter the workforce are harmed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Yes, but Middle east Indians are coming here by the droves and working here and taking away jobs from people like me-who has always worked as a nurse since I was licensed until I got laid off!!! Now I can't seem to find a job unless I pay out thousands of dollars for a course that the hospital should give to all their orientees!!!!!!! I find nurses are just shooting themselves in the foot and mouth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

776 in Flower Mound, Texas said: took refresher, studied and passed nclex, have rn license, previous 7 years experience, negated by taking time out to raise a family, previously positive happy RN, feeling totally slapped in the face. Oh received email offering phone interview, gave choice of dates, sent back choice, no follow up to email or calls. hey we would like to interview you. oh we were just messing with you ha ha . how professional?

I interviewed for a job and was told that I would be notified if or not I got the job within 2 weeks! that was August 4th and I have called them and they told me that I would be notified on line. Have I? no!!!!!!!!!!!! How roude is that??? Very! I am so sick and tired of me having to go out of my way to send thank you notes for the interviews and they don't even bother to tell you whether or not you have the job? and the job was posted on Indeed.com again saying it was a new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell are they doing? Playing games? I wish I could!

Laurette in Madison, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Judy in Vidor, Texas said: Hopefully some of the recruiters will see the need for refresher courses. Many of us have taken a break from nursing for various reasons. OK Nursing leadership step up to the plate and start offering refresher courses in hospitals, clinics and nursing homes and see what happens. Best wishes for a great job!
I have been out of work four years now, started looking for a job a year ago and NOTHING. I will be working @ Wendy's soon just to pay the bills. This is the most unforgiving profession.

destcyr in Hartford, Connecticut

48 months ago

I totally agree with you on the most unforgiving profession! Most nurses don't want to help one another. I thought this was a nurturing profession., I have seen so many nurses treat patients like scum. Obviously they keep their jobs! It's sooo frustrating. I really would like to do something totally different. I sure don't want to end up in a nursing home or hospital and have the nurses that are there now take care of me!!!!!!!!!!!! It's pretty darn scarey!

grianstad in Clifton, New Jersey

47 months ago

Guylou46 in Fairfield, Connecticut said: I just past my NCLEX a couple a weeks ago and now I am also facing the "refresher course dilemma". I have a BSN from Canada, but also a US citizen. I have been out of the job for 23 yrs, and I do need a good refresher... However, Charter Oak college has just changed their to an ONLINE course, for $2600 now. The other option is St Vincent college, at $3,000 offer only in the spring. Well that's not great because how are you supposed to relearn things by watching them performed on a virtual classroom..???? I don't feel good about it, for I know i need the hospital settings!

So, does anyone knows if you can take refresher in other states? Thanks to you all and God bless your efforts!

NJ has 3 or 4 RN refresher courses offered. University of Medicine and Dentistry School of Nursing, Rutgers University, Chilton Memorial Hospital, and another one I can't recall. I Googled "nursing refresher courses in NJ" to find out the names and contact info. I am looking into this myself because for the past several years, my work didn't require in-depth hands-on clinical skills (more in the way of cognitive nursing knowledge) and now I'm laid off.

Guylou46 in Fairfield, Connecticut

47 months ago

RN refreshes in CT updates:

So far, there is Charter oak college (entirely online) 2 sessions a yrs for $2600 and limited places. St-Vincent has a session in the spring at $3000 + and I called Bridgeport hospital and they MAY offer one in the winter, for around $1900. I'm also looking at the possibility of doing the online theory at SDSU and the clinical at Gaylord(still to be worked out!).

NJ seems to have a great one at the school of medecine and dentistry. Seems affordable, short term...I wish I had a license there instead!!

So, nurses in CT who need a refresher, could you call Bridgeport and let them know...Maybe if they receive enough calls, they'll put one up! And it's in the hospital, not online!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Rochester, New York

44 months ago

Olivia in Fairport, New York said: Does anyone know of RN Refresher course to refresh clinical skills in the Rochester, NY area? I am a licensed RN, and have kept my license & registration up to date. Thank you.

My name is Debra asking the same question, have you any response to you question?

johnRN20 YRS in Malden, Massachusetts

44 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: This is pitiful, I bet you still know more from your 30 years as a nurse than many others already on the floor! I would take that extra 15 years of experience you have right now! Try the Employment office like one nurse said, Texas does refresher courses through theirs, maybe your state will too.

I am a male nurse, loved medicine all my life, wated to be a doctor but circumstances did not make that possible. Howevere as an RN I felt so fortunate, had many opportunities etc, then had an illness have been out of work over a year. In Mass I'm told CONSTANTLY that because I was out of work for a year NO ONE will even consider me. I worked 20 YEARS as a nurse. How can all that time mean NOTHING???
I am so frustrated, I've been looking into a refresher course, which seems so stupid to me. I KNOW I can do the job, for God sake. I worked in the ICU, ER, OR then my last few years were Case Mgr @ a Major New England Insurance Co. Sooo..since i have been out of work & haven't done "clinical" like give a med or walk an old person to the BR I don't know anything..It's so wrong. The courses are few & not close..and $1500.00 at the least. I'm almost willing to sell everything I have & get rid of my house to take a course, but like you all said here, there is no sure bet you'll get a job.. GEEEEZZZ folks..what the heck should we do? I don't want to bag groceries..I HAD a career..I'm so upset at this point I can't stand it. I love the medical profession, I don't want to change careers but I almost feel forced to, after doing it for 20 years..it's so horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rnforlilones in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

Hi! Just moved to Portland,OR from overseas. (Military move). I am SAHM (raised family) and miltary spouse that experienced numerous deployments. I have 7+ years of experience in NICU department. Would like to get back into the workforce now that we are back stateside. Where do I begin? As far as being out... I know I have to take refresher courses. I have active CA RN license. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!

Nancy in Bossier City, Louisiana

44 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: They have a refresher course at the college I attended. I have been out for almost two years this summer, but their is no way I can even afford $1,600 without even working. I would like to get my BSN and I would have the time for it. I am about to downgrade myself to a secretary to go back to school. It isn't like I made any money last year so I should be eligible for Financial Aid.

Last month we have money for anything but necessities, and that doesn't include internet and a telephone. Then what? I am so worried. I received a letter from a hospital saying I wasn't qualified, then they turn around and make the position internal after it was internal for months. Guess they don't want to fill positions. Also, I have been forgotten about at interviews and told they wanted one, but they never call back. =/ Very disheartening. I feel like giving up myself really. But, my friends who are nurses say keep the faith. There feels like their isn't any since I have been looking for a job since the summer of last year with 4 years of experience.

I totally understand your predicament. Encountering the same here, and feel pretty much the same way. Told my husband I was going to apply at the pet store as a cashier. At least I love caring for animals and it would be a job dealing with what truly makes me feel good. I'm pretty sure I could eventually work up to manager somewhere. Really can't afford the out of pocket expense for more schooling right now, and the nearest on campus refresher course I can find in Louisiana is a 5 hr drive away. Feel like I'm about ready to give up on the nursing profession b/c it appears the profession has given up on me. I say do what's in your heart and at least you'll feel good about that no matter what anyone else thinks. Be proud of yourself again! You were obviously intelligent and headstrong enough to get that nursing degree.

44 months ago

California Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas said: I am in California. I took a wonderful course in Texas. They have online and in class courses. I got temporary permit $25 for the clinicals. I went to Texas for Skills Lab and IV portion and clinicals. The clinical site was great and staff very helpful. I feel the cobwebs came right off. I then did renewal. I found a job after a few weeks of sending out resumes with the refresher update on them. Where as nothing before. Not even 1 call.

Where did you take this refresher course if I may ask? I saw some in Dallas and a community college which is about an hr drive from my home. I have considered doing this, even though ithe course would not be in my licensing state. I would be willing to get licensed in TX anyway, just b/c I am so close to the TX/LA line. I can't tell you the countless hours I have spent up half the night researching info on online vs. local campus Master's degree, refreshers courses, prices and comments, job sites, hospital sites, etc, etc. Gosh, I just need a nursing job that is not tremendously physically taxing and does not involve having to endure someone else's cigarette smoke or smoking areas....and I'm there, full-time committed, ready to give so much for my patients and employers.....if only given a decent opportunity to learn. Does anyone even offer a decent orientation or training anymore? Wow,I am overwhelmed at some of the job descriptions I read..... the never ending, all emcompassing list of job duties that one single nurse is responsible for... duties that he/she should already have 3+ yrs of experience in and be a "self-starter"....ie., no training provided I take it. Doesn't anyone give proper notice & train the next person replacing them anymore? Not complaining here...just trying to find a way not to discard 4 yrs and $45 K worth of education on my RN degree.

44 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: Oh, and if you have a Clinical Mgr who does not like you because she is not the one who hired you, and had let her techs run the clinic and over nurses. Has ran off two nurses before you and a good tech. You get out before you start. Or you will end up like me. I am not bitter, just hurting because I trusted where I should not have. If I had really listened to the Lord,I'd have resigned long before this mess.

Hmmm...I went through a similiar situation at my last job. Nurse manager wasn't the one to hire me and was very lax with people and things she probably shouldn't have been. This allowed people to do whatever they wanted most times. Never, ever, ever had I encountered such people as that. Felt like I was on the defensive from the get go and many times later, because of someone else's lying and gossip, all so that they could get ahead and be closer to "top dog". Guess I should have picked up on that when they gossiped to me about everyone else's faults behind their backs. HMMMM.. Small place, very clickish. A shame really, b/c the work itself was not that bad at all, kind of boring at times actually. I agree it is so juvenile the way some nurses treat their peers. I once worked at a place that was really tough, but the teamwork and personalities there were wonderful. I stayed 6 yrs and left only b/c the physical strain of this job beat my body down over time. I became a nurse b/c helping others, (patients, coworkers, friends, whoever...), gives me pride, happiness and satisfaction. If only I could find a group of folks like that again. They were like my family away from home! And you're right, I should have trusted my gut instinct, listened to the Lord and left way earlier. Praise God! And thanks for your post. At least I know I'm not alone in that respect.

44 months ago

I wish you all the luck in the world.
I had 20+ years experience, mostly L&D, and have been told "3 years out of hospital and you are untouchable". Hospital says try registry, registry says their limit is 2 years away from hospital. I just let my AWHONN certification lapse and the "active CA license" goes next. CABRN is unwilling to get involved even though they admit the problem is significant. No re-entry programs here that I can find and they say its a "personnel issue"!
I am 60 years old and really not wanting to go through he!! and high water again to get back into nursing when I am so nearly at the end of my working life. If I could get that pet store job, I'd be a happy camper. As it is we are lucky to have my husbands pension to make ends almost meet. We did not intend to be using up so much of our nest egg so early, but in this economy, who was?
I really feel bad for all the folks getting sucked into loans for educational programs to get licenses for "recession proof" RN jobs that aren't there.
Maybe you can find a re-entry thru the med school, or just sign up for classes and get your MD.

punix0583 in Horseheads, New York

44 months ago

Guylou46 in Fairfield, Connecticut said: I just past my NCLEX a couple a weeks ago and now I am also facing the "refresher course dilemma". I have a BSN from Canada, but also a US citizen. I have been out of the job for 23 yrs, and I do need a good refresher... However, Charter Oak college has just changed their to an ONLINE course, for $2600 now. The other option is St Vincent college, at $3,000 offer only in the spring. Well that's not great because how are you supposed to relearn things by watching them performed on a virtual classroom..???? I don't feel good about it, for I know i need the hospital settings!

Try SUNY in long island, i heard that they have a refresher course

Guylou46 in Bridgeport, Connecticut

44 months ago

Hi there,

I have been out of nursing for a lot longer than most: I have found an online refresher accepted here in CT and maybe Massachussets at the South Dakota State University for $700. That covers the theory portion of it, then you have to find a place that will take you for 80 hrs of clinical. Call your board of nursing and ask them to give you the places or websites where you can do your refreshers. Here in CT, the hospitals offering it are charging between $2600 and $3000, without books! I was told there was no nursing shortage anymore and that's why they only take students affiliated with schools.
Pretty sad news for the rest of us. But I'm not giving up and I'm now ready to do my clinical.

Eliza"beth" in Gilbert, Az. in Gilbert, Arizona

44 months ago

I have been out of Nursing for 12 plus yrs. Recently, I successfully completed the Nursing Refresher Program at Mesa Comm. College as State Board requires. I was fortunate to be able to be a "stay at home mom" after having my 2nd child. I had her at the age of 38. I worked very hard as an ICU nurse for close to 20 yrs prior to having children.20 YEARS in Critical Care,Open Hearts Recovery, Trauma,Neuro(ICP's, IABP's, SGAL's, CVP lines etc.) working in an inner city hospital in Chicago(St. Mary of Nazareth on Division St.)Stabwounds, gunshots, AIDS before it was called that...you name I saw it. Got selected to have my photo in Nursing 82, was employee of the year in 1987, was on every committee I could be on. Quaility Assurance, Poison Committee, Diabetic Teaching Team, volunterily worked in Pharmacy for 3 mths as a Pharmacy Nurse tech to be a spokesperson for nursing and pharmacy to see what happens in the pharmacy---preparing hyperal, iv drips etc.-gaining total respect for "pharmacy".Did charge, got all the certifications ACLS etc.- moved to Phoenix in 1989 doing the same Critical Care-last 8 yrs working 12hr Night shift...Took "indefinite maternity leave in 1998 to be bleesed w/ marriage and 2 baby girls 13 1/2 mths apart.I voluteered w/ everything at school from pre-school-to just this past dec. at the jr. high, not to mention my church for RE(Religious Education)-keeping BLS current, taking 1st aid kit on every fieldtrip till now. Went on my 1st Medical Mission to Cartenga, Columbia in feb. 2010-worked w/best surgeon friend of 30yrs. in surgery and was taught how to give PAP smears to at least 25 young Columbian girls most of which had STD's, Cancer etc. THE MORAL OF MY STORY...I still can't get a job! I am only 51-young at heart, still in good mental and physical shape and totally pumped to get back into nursing. This online applying is CRAP...I am and was good at what I do. I even know people.. I keep getting the "NOT SELECTED" reply. WHY? I don't get it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I have been out of Nursing for 12 plus yrs. Recently, I successfully completed the Nursing Refresher Program at Mesa Comm. College as State Board requires. I was fortunate to be able to be a "stay at home mom" after having my 2nd child. I had her at the age of 38. I worked very hard as an ICU nurse for close to 20 yrs prior to having children.20 YEARS in Critical Care,Open Hearts Recovery, Trauma,Neuro(ICP's, IABP's, SGAL's, CVP lines etc.) working in an inner city hospital in Chicago(St. Mary of Nazareth on Division St.)Stabwounds, gunshots, AIDS before it was called that...you name I saw it. Got selected to have my photo in Nursing 82, was employee of the year in 1987, was on every committee I could be on. Quaility Assurance, Poison Committee, Diabetic Teaching Team, volunterily worked in Pharmacy for 3 mths as a Pharmacy Nurse tech to be a spokesperson for nursing and pharmacy to see what happens in the pharmacy---preparing hyperal, iv drips etc.-gaining total respect for "pharmacy".Did charge, got all the certifications ACLS etc.- moved to Phoenix in 1989 doing the same Critical Care-last 8 yrs working 12hr Night shift...Took "indefinite maternity leave in 1998 to be bleesed w/ marriage and 2 baby girls 13 1/2 mths apart.I voluteered w/ everything at school from pre-school-to just this past dec. at the jr. high, not to mention my church for RE(Religious Education)-keeping BLS current, taking 1st aid kit on every fieldtrip till now. Went on my 1st Medical Mission to Cartenga, Columbia in feb. 2010-worked w/best surgeon friend of 30yrs. in surgery and was taught how to give PAP smears to at least 25 young Columbian girls most of which had STD's, Cancer etc. THE MORAL OF MY STORY...I still can't get a job! I am only 51-young at heart, still in good mental and physical shape and totally pumped to get back into nursing. This online applying is CRAP...I am and was good at what I do. I even know people.. I keep getting the "NOT SELECTED" reply. WHY? I don't get it!

44 months ago

punix0583 in Horseheads, New York said: Try SUNY in long island, i heard that they have a refresher course

I took a great refresher in mesa, az. it was very "greuling" but excellant. Took the theory part 1st-NU228 in Jan. 2010, was enrolled to take NU229 (clinical) in May but my mom died unexpectly. I re-enrolled in Aug. completed 160 (plus) hrs required by state of AZ. on a MED-Surg/Oncology flr. My specality was ICU.Great refresher but not getting a job. They want "recent" experience. I'm beginning to feel we "Former" not old nurses (who can still bounce a quarter off a newly made bed!) the way nurses were taught-compassion,etc. are "SOL"...well, screw technology- I can do it and I STILL GOT! They need nurses like us to bring dignity and respect back to pt.s and their families---not clients as they now call them. Good luck to you. We need to be a new voice for the field, one thats totally gotten replaced by "Robots", it's sad.

Robin Lloyd

43 months ago

Hello, I took my NCLEX TEST way back in the older days with paper and pencil. I signed up for the South Dakota Refresher Course and I have found I am petrified to take the tests. The first one is for 8 chapters of reading and 25 questions!!! I am looking for a tudor. If anyone knows anyone in this program or who has taken this course could someone get a hold of me. I have already wasted 3 months.

johnRN20 YRS in Somerville, Massachusetts

42 months ago

Guylou46 in Bridgeport, Connecticut said: Hi there,

I have been out of nursing for a lot longer than most: I have found an online refresher accepted here in CT and maybe Massachussets at the South Dakota State University for $700. That covers the theory portion of it, then you have to find a place that will take you for 80 hrs of clinical. Call your board of nursing and ask them to give you the places or websites where you can do your refreshers. Here in CT, the hospitals offering it are charging between $2600 and $3000, without books! I was told there was no nursing shortage anymore and that's why they only take students affiliated with schools.
Pretty sad news for the rest of us. But I'm not giving up and I'm now ready to do my clinical.

Hey Guy.. Good info from U. I've been an RN for 20+ yrs. My situation is basically the same as the other's are saying, was out of work 2 yrs due to illness & now am told I'm not employable since I've been "out of it" so long It sucks..big time.
What I want to know is..did the refresher course help you get a job?

I'd like to know. I find it unbelievable that after 20 yrs of doing ICU/ER Case Mangement etc.etc.. means NOTHING..They are SO wrong, the people telling me I need to go back to school. I know I can jump into a job and do it but there's no chance unless I get re-eductaed..I guess.
I need to know the best and quickest way to get back into an RN job before I go work at a car wash or something..Everyone tells me to go back to school, sure, I'd love to if I could work as an RN and be able to afford more education. Just wondering how it worked out for you. I'm not ready to give up on a career I spent so much time with and really liked. I hope you see this and can reply. I can't waste time & $$ on something that won't help. So, did it help you? THX..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeneceV in Tracy, California

42 months ago

My license expires at the end of the month. It would cost me about $500 I don't have to maintain it since they added the mandatory fingerprinting here in CA. I am 61 and apparently unemployable. Thank God I have a husband with a small retirement income and I can start collecting SS next year!
It ticks me off that there is still a big push to increase funding to produce more RNs when so many of us are out of work! But then, who ever said life was fair?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnRN20 YRS in Somerville, Massachusetts

42 months ago

Thx for your reply. Damn, sorry to hear about your situation. So it's obvious that going thru a refresher is not of any benefit. I've kept my license, CPR ACLS too BUT it means nothing. Funny thing is, hospitals will hire new grads right away, why? MAYBE because they don't have to PAY them as much as an experienced nurse..ya think? I know that is what is going on.. It is disgusting. BUT everyone keeps saying I need to go back to school. Sure go back after I sell my house and all my belongings and start over @ almost 50 yrs old, nice. I never in a million yrs thought I'd be in this position at this stage in my life.I need to be enlightened too. I have no idea what to do next. If U do get a glimmer of hope would you share it w me? I'd appreciate any info I can get to help get me out from under all this bullsh**. THX & good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.