Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 372)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Monica in Riverside, New Jersey

79 months ago

I would be happy to attend a refresher course if I could be sure that I'd gain employment. But I 2 am having a difficulty finding one a reasonable distance from home. There are several in NJ but not near me (both Rutgers locations R 1 hr away) I live exactly 15 min from Ctr. Phila. With all of the teaching hospitals over there, you'd think ONE would have a refresher course! Seems like they used to but have discontinued. Yes, I'm getting the definite feeling that inactive nurses are "unwanted". It's a darn shame too. Like others here I was good at what I did. Even tho I was only in my 20's the agencies would send me to the "difficult to please" homecare cases - the ones where nurse turnover was high. Guess what? instead of the family calling to complain, they called the agency, sung my praises & requested that I be made "primary" on the case! This happened more than once. I still have an almost embarrassingly glowing reference letter from the husband of one of my patients. I've grown so much as a person since then- I'm much more balanced & calm, have improved problem solving & reasoning ability, & having 4 kids I've learned to multi-task like never before! I realize that technology/meds have certainly changed & I'd need updating there, but the human body and how it works has NOT changed & I still remember those things. When family of friends have a medical question they call me. I give them my impression but stress that they call their doc. 9x out of 10 they call me back and say, "I spoke w/ my dr. & he said basically the same thing you did."
I feel such a "oneness" with others here in the same situation. The desire & determination expressed in posts here indicates the level of dedication. If someone would just give us a chance, they would not regret hiring us!
Another idea I've looked into was to become a certified "Doula".
If others have ideas for or success with alternatives to nursing pls post them! It wd. b encouraging!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Beaumont, Texas

79 months ago

johnRN20 YRS in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I've been thinking of becoming certified as a CPR/ACLS instructor..I know a nurse who just did this and the instructor who taught her said he can't keep up w all the requests for teaching thesew course. So I figure that it's at least SOMETHING that has to do w healthcare & may eventually lead to something better.
Just a tought.

You go John. In our area there is also a great demand for CPR/ACLS instructors. I think you are on to something big!

Reply - Report abuse

johnRN20 YRS in Somerville, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Hi Judy, thx for the reply..Yeah I am researching this now. I think it may be a good idea to get a specialty type certification. Someone mentioned certification in wound care which there is a great need for that specialty. The thing w that is either you'd have to try doing as a pvt RN or be connected w a hm.care agency or hospital to do it...(I think)unless you're sub-contracted out to do wnd care, that may be an option too. But same situation, will they hire you? BIG question mark there...I gotta touch base w my friend who got the CPR/ACLS instructor Cert. & connect w the guy who needs help teaching. I'd like to start my own business doing it if the demand for it is adequete..the heck w being at the mercy of the healthcare industry, they can call me to train their staff..I hope! Plus there are cpr for the gnl public, etc..
OK. Good luck to you..

Reply - Report abuse

s lambourg in Delray Beach, Florida

76 months ago

Nydia in Brooklyn, New York said: Recently, came from Puerto Rico. I have Rn licence of n.y.cBut been out of clinical setting 15 years ago.It been hard to get a job, because in my resume ,they look at my present,last 10 year of job.They say I am out of date.No recent hospital experience.What can i do?

refresher course - www.hnsclasses.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

RN in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

Same situation like all...put my career on the back burner so that I can raise a family,etc. In limbo since we move around a lot! Thinking of taking refresher courses....if you take it in one state and have to move to another...will that reciprocate? ow it's harder to get back in the workforce...I don't think I regret being at home though with my two kids....

Reply - Report abuse

sylvia lambourg in Delray Beach, Florida

76 months ago

That will depend on the state board of nursing . Most honor the refresher of another state. However, if you have a specific scenario , I would be happy to address it.

In regards to getting back into the workforce , because so many people are in the same situation in reality the refresher course does not seem to make much of a difference.

Reply - Report abuse

RN in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

sylvia lambourg in Delray Beach, Florida said: That will depend on the state board of nursing . Most honor the refresher of another state. However, if you have a specific scenario , I would be happy to address it.

In regards to getting back into the workforce , because so many people are in the same situation in reality the refresher course does not seem to make much of a difference.

@sylvia lambourg in Delray Beach, Florida

Thanks for your reply.Kept my CA RN license active. My husband is military-active duty...hence why we move a lot. Last station was in Germany for almost 5 years...he was deployed, etc...kids were little...so decided to be SAHM for the meantime. Anyway now that I am back in the states...I was getting excited to just apply...but had no idea that I had to take refresher courses...currently in Oregon...but possible move to anywhere within the next year again!So do I take the courses and blow money or wait til we are completely settled. One thing I wish that was waived for miitary spouses is this...perhaps I am not looking deep enough...I know there is military preference for spouses sometimes. I am a NICU RN and I know that's a tough crowd to please at times...since its so specialized. I certainly do miss it though. Just hope it works out one way or the other:) Thanks in advance!

Reply - Report abuse

Denece in Tracy, California

76 months ago

The problem is that right now there is no shortage of nurses. In my town they just dropped in lieu of benefits pay for per diems and may lower pay for Rns across the board as " no raises" for the foreseeable".
I'm 61 so I gave up and let my license lapse. 20+ years of maternal child (NICU, L&D, etc.) nursing and nobody cared about my experience.

Reply - Report abuse

sylvia lambourg in Delray Beach, Florida

76 months ago

You definitely need to check with your state BON .....

Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Riverside, New Jersey

76 months ago

So I am working at Sears. People can't believe I'm an RN and no one will hire me! Ya, I can't either. So today I decide to (for the 1000th time!) look at job postings for RN. I am specifically interested in doing wound care visits bc it's more narrowed in scope and I could quickly and easily take courses to become certified. (easier than a full refresher anyway) Guess what all the job postings for wound care visits say? "x amount of years in wound care experience required". Great! back to square one. I am tempted to spend a week driving around to home health agencies in my area and asking for 5 mins with the acting manager of the branch and just asking them what I would need to do (besides a full refresher) to be considered for hiring.

Reply - Report abuse

arnwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts

76 months ago

Me again. I did end up finding a job after what a year? There are places that will hire you, you might have to move or it might be a commute. I tried a Home Health Care agency, pffftt... they didn't get me any assignments and played games with my head. I would be careful with some of them and make sure you Google the company and see if their are any complaints on here and/or other nursing forums. Try looking up relocation, relocate, etc when searching. See if a recruiter can help you. The desolate areas are looking and they are willing to train ANYONE in most cases. I did interview over the phone with a couple and they were wondering why the heck I couldn't find employment with the background I have. Some said the hospitals or facilities just don't have money to hire. I believe it, staffing is terrible and there were a couple of strike threats in the past couple of weeks.

I didn't end up relocating, because I did find a job in my state. Things stink I have to drive 45 minutes to work and I have to work third shift. =/ But, least I finally got something, my aids have been there forever, and it is actually for the company I worked for right out of nursing school just different location. See if you can network with anyone you have worked for before too. They will remember you if you were a good worker, trust me they don't forget and yes some people will still be there. Eventually, I will save money to move closer so I don't have to deal with the crap of a commute.

There is hope for you so don't give up, even though it is so easier said than done, I know I was there for a year. Gah!

I have a friend who did a refresher, she doesn't work acute, but she had a business when she took some time off. She works in Insurance of some sort with her license and does not work in Acute Care. She lives in Hawaii. Push something you did when you were not a nurse. It might just work!

Reply - Report abuse

Vern in Sugar Land, Texas

75 months ago

elizabeth in Gilbert, Arizona said: I know, this is killing me, I successfully completed the theory and clinical portions of AZ required nursing refresher program(in nov. 10) my liscense is current and valid again. BLS current and 2wks ago I successfully completed ACLS on my own (paid 195.00 plus cost of book 37.50 out of my pocket) I have been applying for jobs daily and keep getting "not selected" I just applied at the MARICOPA COUNTY HOSPITAL and was turned down seconds after I submitted my application. I dont think they even had time to read my resume!! I'm so discouraged, funny thing I know I can do these jobs, my 20 yr. plus experience is ICU/TRAUMA/HEARTS/POST OPS/CARDIAC... I can't even get in w/ my old hospital where I worked several years. Cost of refresher at least 3000$ plus---I just don't get it...anybody out there that can ENLIGHTEN me?

Hi Elizabeth,
First, I want to say that you have done all the right things to prepare yourself. I took PHES Nurse Refresher in Dallas, Texas. I was getting no callbacks before refresher. Afterwards, I got a few but, no interviews. The PHES staff told me about a resume company and I met with them (very reasonable price). I found that I was not doing my resume correctly and there was so much to learn about keywords when doing an online application as many of them are these days. I am in Texas and used a Houston company but, I you could look for an experienced company or person that has worked with layoffs and transitioning people before. That is the experience my person had and she was right on target. The week I made changes I got calls and interviews. 4 weeks before I got an offer and I have been there about 3 months now. Stay encouraged.

Reply - Report abuse

JohnB in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

At age 40, I borrowed $70,000 to pay for a BS in nursing at Columbia University in NYC. I then worked a year and half as a staff nurse in the burn intensive care unit of a giant NYC hospital--a trial by fire that made a good nurse out of me fast. I loved the work, but I couldn't afford rent PLUS payments on debt, so for five years, I returned to my previous profession to pay down my loans. I accomplished that in 2010, quit my job, and started looking for work as a nurse again. It's been a year now. I have been ignored, insulted, even abused, from the Midwest to the South to the Northeast. The behavior of most nurse managers I have encountered would get them fired in any other profession. Appalling. Nurses really do treat each other horribly. ... I am not giving up just yet. I plan to spend $3,000 on a nurse refresher course here in the NYC area and subject myself to further humiliation as I continue to look for work in the caring profession. I'm not optimistic. At the least, I can write a memoir that would, I hope, make all of the mean-spirited nurses I've encountered hang their heads in shame.

Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

JohnB in Brooklyn, New York said: At age 40, I borrowed $70,000 to pay for a BS in nursing at Columbia University in NYC. I then worked a year and half as a staff nurse in the burn intensive care unit of a giant NYC hospital--a trial by fire that made a good nurse out of me fast. I loved the work, but I couldn't afford rent PLUS payments on debt, so for five years, I returned to my previous profession to pay down my loans. I accomplished that in 2010, quit my job, and started looking for work as a nurse again. It's been a year now. I have been ignored, insulted, even abused, from the Midwest to the South to the Northeast. The behavior of most nurse managers I have encountered would get them fired in any other profession. Appalling. Nurses really do treat each other horribly. ... I am not giving up just yet. I plan to spend $3,000 on a nurse refresher course here in the NYC area and subject myself to further humiliation as I continue to look for work in the caring profession. I'm not optimistic. At the least, I can write a memoir that would, I hope, make all of the mean-spirited nurses I've encountered hang their heads in shame.

I hear you about the abuse, I was offered a job, they were sending me for an interview Valley View Medical in Fort Mohave, AZ to be exact, cancelled the next day saying they have no openings. I mean really. My dreams gone in one second. o_O That is the mantality. They don't care they have their own mouths to feed.

Reply - Report abuse

DeneciePie in Tracy, California

74 months ago

I gave up. It seems to me that the healthcare industry as a whole has been so squeezed by money saving measures that it has lost its corporate mind.
Nurse Managers would rather have a continuum of traveling nurses at twice the cost over a staff nurse who would be integrated into the unit as a truly functional cog in the well-oiled machine just because they might have some responsibility towards that nurse. Nurses have always had a name for eating their young, now it is anyone who is not in your current cadre.

Reply - Report abuse

RNNYC in Astoria, New York

74 months ago

JohnB in Brooklyn, New York said: At age 40, I borrowed $70,000 to pay for a BS in nursing at Columbia University in NYC. I then worked a year and half as a staff nurse in the burn intensive care unit of a giant NYC hospital--a trial by fire that made a good nurse out of me fast. I loved the work, but I couldn't afford rent PLUS payments on debt, so for five years, I returned to my previous profession to pay down my loans. I accomplished that in 2010, quit my job, and started looking for work as a nurse again. It's been a year now. I have been ignored, insulted, even abused, from the Midwest to the South to the Northeast. .

John-
I am in a similar situation where I only spent a few years in the Nursing Profession as an RN on a telemetry unit before I went into something completely different which is working as a Dental Hygienist. I'm also in the NYC area, I would like to return to Nursing eventually and keep working as a Hygienist per diem but all these horror stories of RN's trying to reenter the field has me really discouraged. I wonder if opportunities will improve for us reentry RN's once the economy shapes up a bit, right now the market is in their favor (hospitals etc). John, when you said you have been ignored, insulted and abused, are you referring to interviews you have been on with nurse managers while you were trying to reenter the field? Or are you referring to the time you spent as an RN? I plan on taking a refresher and ACLS course to help me become more marketable however it is disappointing to see that it is not helping other's much. I guess we are thought of as being on par with a new grad and hopefully when things start to look up for them they will start to look up for us Reentry RN's

Reply - Report abuse

JohnB in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

RNNYC in Astoria, New York said: John-
I am in a similar situation where I only spent a few years in the Nursing Profession as an RN on a telemetry unit before I went into something completely different which is working as a Dental Hygienist. I'm also in the NYC area, I would like to return to Nursing eventually and keep working as a Hygienist per diem but all these horror stories of RN's trying to reenter the field has me really discouraged. I wonder if opportunities will improve for us reentry RN's once the economy shapes up a bit, right now the market is in their favor (hospitals etc). John, when you said you have been ignored, insulted and abused, are you referring to interviews you have been on with nurse managers while you were trying to reenter the field? Or are you referring to the time you spent as an RN? I plan on taking a refresher and ACLS course to help me become more marketable however it is disappointing to see that it is not helping other's much. I guess we are thought of as being on par with a new grad and hopefully when things start to look up for them they will start to look up for us Reentry RN's

RNNYC, the abuse has all come as I've tried to re-enter the profession. When applying for hospital jobs in the five boroughs, I assumed the nastiness was just a reflection of professional attitudes in NYC generally. But when I started flying--on my own dime--to other states to interview jobs, I was stunned by how UNprofessional and downright rude many of the nurse managers were. Worst were those who knew they would never hire me, but let me waste my money on travel, told me to expect to hear from them in a few weeks, sent me information on new hires/benefits/etc., and then never called back. When I followed up, I would get: "Oh, we have nothing for you." When I have sought advice--without angling for a job--I have received no encouragement, no support. I'm embittered and coming to the view that nurses deserve the treatment they get.

Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

JohnB in Brooklyn, New York said: RNNYC, the abuse has all come as I've tried to re-enter the profession. When applying for hospital jobs in the five boroughs, I assumed the nastiness was just a reflection of professional attitudes in NYC generally. But when I started flying--on my own dime--to other states to interview jobs, I was stunned by how UNprofessional and downright rude many of the nurse managers were. Worst were those who knew they would never hire me, but let me waste my money on travel, told me to expect to hear from them in a few weeks, sent me information on new hires/benefits/etc., and then never called back. When I followed up, I would get: "Oh, we have nothing for you." When I have sought advice--without angling for a job--I have received no encouragement, no support. I'm embittered and coming to the view that nurses deserve the treatment they get.

You should see the advice on Allnurses, really isn't much they obviously haven't come to this thread. They are clueless and they are rude. I had an interview for 5 minutes once, she never introduced herself. I was like if you want a picture ask me to email it to you so I can save my gas for something else. It is really like this for everyone I have a friend who was a Bank Executive over one year can't find work. Same thing for him too.

Reply - Report abuse

Sam RN BSN in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

74 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: You should see the advice on Allnurses, really isn't much they obviously haven't come to this thread. They are clueless and they are rude. I had an interview for 5 minutes once, she never introduced herself. I was like if you want a picture ask me to email it to you so I can save my gas for something else. It is really like this for everyone I have a friend who was a Bank Executive over one year can't find work. Same thing for him too.

All nurses can be helpful, but the same nasty stepford wife nurse mangers on that site and they seem to beat people who are going thru these employment issues, its a controlled site, they would rather feed you the J&J koolaid

Reply - Report abuse

joank in Oak Forest, Illinois

73 months ago

i was wondering how you made out with that refresher course....i'm signed up...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Robin Lloyd said: Hello, I took my NCLEX TEST way back in the older days with paper and pencil. I signed up for the South Dakota Refresher Course and I have found I am petrified to take the tests. The first one is for 8 chapters of reading and 25 questions!!! I am looking for a tudor. If anyone knows anyone in this program or who has taken this course could someone get a hold of me. I have already wasted 3 months.

Robin: how did the refresher course go for you?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

nointimidation in Redwood City, California

73 months ago

aRNwoonds4j0b in Worcester, Massachusetts said: Thanks so much for your help. I had an interview for a Full-Time RN position and found out someone who I confided in for 4 years gave me a bad reference. I guess they weren't suppose to tell me, but I am giving up on Nursing. Good luck to everyone.

Hey you know what? This is called defamation! What is your goal?
Do you really want to be an RN or are you in it for the ?
DO NOT let these idiots stop you if you want to be an RN. Stick up for yourself you can totally do this, if necessary call the board of nursing in MASS. There are federal and state regs that make it a crime to smear anothers reputation never mind institutional punishments for wrongful judgements about character. Gossip and bullying are very well federally defined for licensed health practitoners. HANG TOUGH you worked to hard for that education!
Be well and take care of yourself. Namaste

Reply - Report abuse

ange in Spring, Texas

72 months ago

California Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas said: I am in California. I took a wonderful course in Texas. They have online and in class courses. I got temporary permit $25 for the clinicals. I went to Texas for Skills Lab and IV portion and clinicals. The clinical site was great and staff very helpful. I feel the cobwebs came right off. I then did renewal. I found a job after a few weeks of sending out resumes with the refresher update on them. Where as nothing before. Not even 1 call.

Where did you find a job ? I am having trouble finding a job since i've taken the refresher course. I live in spring tx

Reply - Report abuse

Califonia Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas

72 months ago

I started out at Maxim doing wellness clinics and some private duty. I had never done private duty before but, they did training. I did that while I was applying other places. I got hired by a LTACH about 20 minutes away from home and have been trying to soak up all the knowledge I can. I also applied to school for my BSN and plan to start that soon to increase my chances of getting back into a major hospital. Also, a note to those complaining about costs. If they don't charge they won't survive and there will be no programs out there. That is why I ended up in Texas. Think of it this way, the costs of the courses are not even 1 paycheck of most RN jobs. So, charge it, take a loan, get unemployment assistance or whatever you have to do and stop whining!:)At least we have a profession to return to, some don't.

Reply - Report abuse

ange in Spring, Texas

72 months ago

California Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas said: Oh, forgot to say company and cost. It was Professional Healthcare Education Service/PHES. They were $1500 total including insurance and background check. All I had to do was BON fees, CPR, and TB skin test. They let me do payment plan.

That is where I went to also. It was awesome. I would recommend it to anyone searching. I have been trying to get a job in Labor and Delivery but to no luck they want someone with more recent experience and I haven't worked in 14 years. I have also applied at other positions too but to no luck so I'm applying for a intership in a couple of days for Jan. course. Pray for me that i get it.

Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Willingboro, New Jersey

72 months ago

"the costs of the courses are not even 1 paycheck of most RN jobs"

I think that depends on where you live + other factors. The closest refresher to me is 1.5 hr drive, one way. I added up the cost of the refresher itself, gas, tolls, malprac. ins. (req'd), background check (req'd, medical exam + vaccination boosters (req'd), etc, etc, etc. I'd be shelling out about $2700-$3,000. That is a lot to risk for what I'm getting in return which is no more concrete than, "we MIGHT be interested in CONSIDERING hiring you". If I don't get hired, the $3K is a loss! That's a pretty big gamble for our family in this economy.

It's nice that someone allowed you to get your "foot in the door" with the wellness clinics. I've been looking to do something similar. I thought my opportunity had arrived when I got a notice in the mail from an agency I'd previously worked for. It read something like: "Healthy newborn expected. Mom wants RN to assist with well baby care and breastfeeding. Newborn nursery or NICU experience a plus, but not required." I called immediately. Told the recruiter I have 4 healthy children and breast feed them each for 1.5-2years, overcoming a variety of issues in order to do this. He asked if I had newborn nursery or NICU experience. I said NO and he replied that he was looking for someone with this experience. Hmmm First of all, that's not what the ad said and secondly, I didn't know they practiced "well baby care and breastfeeding" in the NICU!

Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Willingboro, New Jersey

72 months ago

"the costs of the courses are not even 1 paycheck of most RN jobs"

I think that depends on where you live + other factors. The closest refresher to me is 1.5 hr drive, one way. I added up the cost of the refresher itself, gas, tolls, malprac. ins. (req'd), background check (req'd, medical exam + vaccination boosters (req'd), etc, etc, etc. I'd be shelling out about $2700-$3,000. That is a lot to risk for what I'm getting in return which is no more concrete than, "we MIGHT be interested in CONSIDERING hiring you". If I don't get hired, the $3K is a loss! That's a pretty big gamble for our family in this economy.

It's nice that someone allowed you to get your "foot in the door" with the wellness clinics. I've been looking to do something similar. I thought my opportunity had arrived when I got a notice in the mail from an agency I'd previously worked for. It read something like: "Healthy newborn expected. Mom wants RN to assist with well baby care and breastfeeding. Newborn nursery or NICU experience a plus, but not required." I called immediately. Told the recruiter I have 4 healthy children and breast feed them each for 1.5-2years, overcoming a variety of issues in order to do this. He asked if I had newborn nursery or NICU experience. I said NO and he replied that he was looking for someone with this experience. Hmmm First of all, that's not what the ad said and secondly, I didn't know they practiced "well baby care and breastfeeding" in the NICU!

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornia Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas

72 months ago

I will pray for you to get in Ange, in the meantime have you done any certification classes like NRP or whatever nurses get in your area? What about networking at association meetings in your area or see if a staffing company will hire you for small hospital or an OB/gyn office. Good luck,
Amber

Reply - Report abuse

cstr in maryland in Capitol Heights, Maryland

72 months ago

destcyr in New Britain, Connecticut said: yea, I had an interview even got to follow a nurse during her day to see if I would like visiting nurse. I wanted a day or two to go over it in my mind, however, I thought i could get the full time job if I wanted it. Again I called to let them know I wanted it, left several messages only to get a message back that the full time job was taken and now they only have per diem!!!!!!! frustrating to say the least. I am no where ready to retire, and the funds that I need to live are running out. Nursing doesn't seem to be the best job. However,there is a nursing shortage???!!! WHERE??? I could spend $2500 -that I don't have- and never be guaranteed of a job! WHAT!!!! I sometimes feel that the refresher courses are just a scam. I always loved being a nurse until you find yourself unemployable! Anyway, where is my sugar daddy?lol

When I was in nurses training fifteen-thirty yrs ago. My Instructors told us that the BSN requirement would be necessary for nurses to continue working as RNs. Some listened others didn't.
Yes, there was a time when you were hired and orientation was mandatory for a month or longer which would be determined by the head nurse and staff development department. Don't give up your still young enough to use a computer. No sugar daddy.I feel your pain.

Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

johnRN20 YRS in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Thx for your reply. Damn, sorry to hear about your situation. So it's obvious that going thru a refresher is not of any benefit. I've kept my license, CPR ACLS too BUT it means nothing. Funny thing is, hospitals will hire new grads right away, why? MAYBE because they don't have to PAY them as much as an experienced nurse..ya think? I know that is what is going on.. It is disgusting. BUT everyone keeps saying I need to go back to school. Sure go back after I sell my house and all my belongings and start over @ almost 50 yrs old, nice. I never in a million yrs thought I'd be in this position at this stage in my life.I need to be enlightened too. I have no idea what to do next. If U do get a glimmer of hope would you share it w me? I'd appreciate any info I can get to help get me out from under all this bullsh**. THX & good luck.

The system is trying to soften the blow by not being truth with those of you without your BSN these days. The medical equipment used to care for the patients frequently changes and you need that advanced technical knowledge and hands on skills when you hit the floor.If your're hired? Discontinue diploma and two programs? Our society will really see what a nursing storage is all about. In the 1960s/1970s the two year nursing programs blossomed to reduce storage. Nurses love a challenge. Refresher course no, university yes.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

confused in San Antonio, Texas

72 months ago

I graduated in 93 with RN diploma but only worked as a nurse for 3 yrs before becoming a stay at home mom. I now want a career back, but from reading all the problems of getting hired, I seriously doubt I would stand a chance esp since I didn't work at it too long in the beginning. I am debating getting a quick cert as an MA maybe? Anybody have any employment ideas?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

many of these type of forums are very negative and discouraging. i am in a refresher course now and from what i see looking at 'help wanted' sites...there is a need, especially for home health, hospice, dialysis--community based care

Reply - Report abuse

Calfornia Nurse in Sugar Land, Texas

72 months ago

Dear confused,
I agree with joank. If you only look at the negative comments you will not try. I think you should talk to an enrollment counselor or instructor with a refresher program to get a real evaluation of your potential. Like our instructor would sit down with each nurse and ask about what else they had been doing and try and give nurses like yourself more clincial hours to increase their knowledge base and confidence. As far as other jobs I would think a shorter program like phlebotomy if you need to work while you explore your options would be better than spending 9 months to a year in a MA program. If you have that kind of time or money go for your BSN if ADN or Diploma nurse which will put you in with the new grads and hte more coveted degrees by most hospitals.
Good luck,

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Go for it.
Don't turn fifty without a MSN or NP.

Reply - Report abuse

confused in San Antonio, Texas

72 months ago

cstr in maryland in Capitol Heights, Maryland said: Go for it.
Don't turn fifty without a MSN or NP.

thank you all so much!!! I did in fact contact someone from the refresher course and she did seem to think I had potential. Thanks for the advice! Now I just need to get up the courage to do it :)

Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Connell in Chesterfield, Missouri

72 months ago

I have been out of Nursing for 18 years,and am unable to decide whether an R.N. Refresher course would help me get a job. I have active licenses in MO and FL, and also a BSN and current BLS certification. I have been a Pharmaceutical Sales Representative for approximately 16 years, and have lost my job 5 times in that industry. In addition, I have had to relocate twice to keep my job. There are NO MORE good jobs in that industry, and I have decided to come back to Nursing, or so I thought! I really don't have the money for the course, but I will put it on credit if I am reasonably sure of a position. What are the REAL chances of getting a job? Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

if you have an active license in the state you live in, then you can go look for a job...but they will probably tell you to get refreshed. if you live in a different state, or want to move, you will have to apply for endorsement in that state and they will most likely tell you that you must take a refresher course.
i have no idea how things are in MO. but there seem to be opportunities in home health, hospice and other community based programs as well as dialysis. look at hospital web-sites for employment opportunities or the big job search sites on the internet to get a feel for what is out there. i am in IL and currently in a refresher course and optimistic that i will find a job after being out 14 years......ya gotta try!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Connell in Chesterfield, Missouri

72 months ago

Thanks for your input. I think I will give the Refresher Course a try. Hope you get a great job after you finish your course in IL!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

try south dakota state university on-line course...not sure if it is approved by your board of nursing...you'll have to check with them...but it is by most states...it's the most convenient and least expensive of the ones i looked into

Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Riverside, New Jersey

71 months ago

Monica..I am in the same boat. I live in Cinna. and have not found a refresher. I am now considering going for my BSN online...almost same amount of time. Now with Magnet, everyone wants your BSN anyway. If you find something, let me know, maybe we could share rides. Good Luck.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

grianstad in Bronx, New York

71 months ago

In NJ United Healthcare is currently recruiting for Care Coordinators. They have multiple openings in the Northern, Central and Southern parts of NJ and have offices in every state. I was underemployed in 2 part-time non benefited jobs when I found this. I've been employed with them for about 3 weeks, the compensation and benefits are great. Go to United Healthcare's website and look under careers.

Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Ronkonkoma, New York

70 months ago

Nydia in Brooklyn, New York said: I think it ashame that ,we have the licence and we have to start as home assistant and work my way up again. I called the school i graduate from and the director of nursing program,couldn't do a .thing 4 me .I took her if i could use there libray n she said only 4 current students.It alot of bullssss.it all about hospital making quick money,they donot have the time 4 mentors

I haven't even been out of nursing; been working private duty and home care on some pretty intense assignments and hospitals won't even look at my resume!. I literally had a recruiter leave me a message saying "oh well, they want hospital experience (which I have 15 years of), but not recent and she said to me "let me know if you still have hospital experience" WTF! These people are so f---n stupid. If I still have hospital experience. THAT'S ALL THAT'S ON MY RESUME! They really think you forget EVERYTHING once you leave the hospital setting, and from what I've heard from people who have taken the refresher course, it's basically Nursing 101. I'm a procedural nurse. I think I know how to put a person on a bedpan and give a bed bath. No wonder this "profession" is where it is. Anyone willing to make a commercial or approach the news with this. I'm disgusted.

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hello. I happen to live on Long Island myself. I've been out of the hospital for 5 years, but never left nursing. I was doing private duty and home care the past five years. I resigned in April and have not been able to land a job ANYWHERE. I was treated horribly by the agency (and family) I was working for so I decided it was time to leave.
I've spoken to 100s OF recruiters and all I've been told is that they are not going to hire me unless I have recent hospital experience. I looked into a refresher course and knew someone who took the course and she said it was a complete waste of time and money. There is a course at Adelphi University in Garden City and one at Molloy College in Rockville Centre. I've even fibbed and stated I took a refresher course but it didn't matter they want recent experience. I've been a nurse for 18 years and while doing home care I was taking care of acutely ill patients who were often taken to the hospital. Pts. with G-tubes, trachs, vented, wounds, diabetes, etc.
So, as a cath lab nurse and ICU nurse, I posted my resume on career builder and as soon as I said I would be willing to relocate, the phone calls started coming in.
I wish I could speak to you directly, but honestly all I've been told is that a hospital won't even look at a resume if they see "nursing home or home care" on it.
So I've interviewed with a couple of hospitals out west. One hospital I interviewed with is actually flying me out there for a second interview. I hope I get offered the job because I have no choice. I don't know what your particular situation is, but just letting you know that Nursing is saturated on Long Island and if you have to leave for a year, to get your feet wet again, do it. The hospitals out of NY are beautiful and don't kill their nurses. (I was a travel nurse in AZ so this is why I know this) Good luck and reply if you have more questions.

Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Riverton, New Jersey

70 months ago

Revolve team in Delhi, India said: Thе Nеw FitFarms Refresher courses аt refreshing special low cost prices. tyre puling аt thе weight loss boot camp.

for more details visit to revolveteam.com

Ummm, this thread is talking about refresher courses for Registered Nurses, not fitness instructors!
RN's-- don't waste your time going to this site, like I did.

Reply - Report abuse

RN student in Hatillo, Puerto Rico

70 months ago

Hi there, I was a driving instructer for many years in NY city. I read this cause now im studing to be a Nurse. As I read this I remember that a few years ago I had like 7 students that were nurses, they came from India their english was not very good, they were brought to the unided states with all expenses paid to work as nurses here in the states.Whats is going on then, shortage of nurses in USA for nurses which study here and not in other countries.Or are the other nurses fron other places better then the ones we have in USA. You all are making me wonder if I should continue in school.

Reply - Report abuse

DeneciePie in Labelle, Florida

70 months ago

I suspect the imported nurses are paid less than American counterparts. Additionally it seems hospitals are looking for more multi-lingual nurses. Most American RNs speak English only.
It is my belief that there are currently lots of unfilled RN jobs being taken up by overtime and registry or traveling nurses. Eventually the economy will improve , more folks will have access to paid healthcare and the job scenario for RN's will improve.
Right now the industry is crying "no available RN's" and getting away with it, while there is still a large number of unemployed RN's who are getting no support from their state BRN's, it is easy for the employers to say "not current, not hireable" when they used to take nurses back after even 20 years when there was a true shortage. It's all about the money. Follow that and you will see the real story.

Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

Eliza"beth" in Gilbert, Az. in Gilbert, Arizona said: I have been out of Nursing for 12 plus yrs. Recently, I successfully completed the Nursing Refresher Program at Mesa Comm. College as State Board requires. I was fortunate to be able to be a "stay at home mom" after having my 2nd child. I had her at the age of 38. I worked very hard as an ICU nurse for close to 20 yrs prior to having children.20 YEARS in Critical Care,Open Hearts Recovery, Trauma,Neuro(ICP's, IABP's, SGAL's, CVP lines etc.) working in an inner city hospital in Chicago(St. Mary of Nazareth on Division St.)Stabwounds, gunshots, AIDS before it was called that...you name I saw it. Got selected to have my photo in Nursing 82, was employee of the year in 1987, was on every committee I could be on. Quaility Assurance, Poison Committee, Diabetic Teaching Team, volunterily worked in Pharmacy for 3 mths as a Pharmacy Nurse tech to be a spokesperson for nursing and pharmacy to see what happens in the pharmacy---preparing hyperal, iv drips etc.-gaining total respect for "pharmacy".Did charge, got all the certifications ACLS etc.- moved to Phoenix in 1989 doing the same Critical Care-last 8 yrs working 12hr Night shift...Took "indefinite maternity leave in 1998 to be bleesed w/ marriage and 2 baby girls 13 1/2 mths apart.I voluteered w/ everything at school from pre-school-to just this past dec. at the jr. high, not to mention my church for RE(Religious Education)-keeping BLS current, taking 1st aid kit on every fieldtrip till now. Went on my 1st Medical Mission to Cartenga, Columbia in feb. 2010-worked w/best surgeon friend of 30yrs. in surgery and was taught how to give PAP smears to at least 25 young Columbian girls most of which had STD's, Cancer etc. THE MORAL OF MY STORY...I still can't get a job! I am only 51-young at heart, still in good mental and physical shape and totally pumped to get back into nursing. This online applying is CRAP...I am and was good at what I do. I even know people..

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Carol,
I couldn't agree with you more. I really feel for you, as I am in the same boat. I never even left nursing. I was laid off from a small community hospital that opened up a new cath lab. Promised a full time position by the end of the year. Really? doing 2 cases a day and being sent home at 9am or 11 am. I was desperate, so went into home care. Even that wasn't full time, but steady. Now after five years and I've been applying during those five years to hospitals ONLINE and I don't even get a response! I was taking care of acutely ill, vented patients (in the home). You are by yourself, so if a patient craps on you, there's no one there to help you. These hospitals are ridiculous. I am 46 years old, and although I have a bad back, I really wanted to give it 2-3 more years, just to get some money ahead to get out of nursing. Here in NY, they are laying off nurses, NPs, etc. Everyone says "why don't you get your NP" Every nurse, I feel, that becomes an NP wants to get away from the bedside and I don't blame them, but if all these nurses become NPs...who is going to be at the bedside. I recently applied to the same hospital I worked at and they are hiring NEW GRADS (with a BSN), but a nurse like myself with 18 years of experience (because I was out of the hospital for a few years) doesn't qualify. I know nurses that graduated from very expensive private 4 year universities that have never even put a patient on a bedpan. Do the administrators look at that? No, they look at the initials behind their names. I am not knocking anyone with a BSN. It's just that the clinical knowledge that some of these new grads have today, just isn't there. With all of your experience, why don't you try local travel. It seems they are more willing to hire. At least you can get "recent" hospital experience. That's what I've done. I blasted my resume on career builder and other sites and have gotten calls from MANY travel companies. U might have some luck. I wish you the best

Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Carol,
I wanted to mention also that I wish it was like it was just 8 years ago, where you drove to a facility, filled out an application, saw the person you gave it to and got a name to follow up with. Now they all say "go online". I've gone online and applied for about 10 positions at a hospital I used to work at, then when you call HR, "I haven't gotten a chance to review, etc. etc. OR we'll call you if we want to interview you. I swear these applications just vanish. It's a bunch of BS. You never get an email, a phone call....nothing. Again, I agree this online applying is total CRAP!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Guylou46 in Bridgeport, Connecticut

70 months ago

Hi there!

I was out of nursing for 20+ yrs. Went back for a refresher, and still, with BSN RN attached after my name, cannot get anywhere either. I apply for simple stuff, work part -time as a school nurse and as a camp nurse, but apart of that, is if you haven't been in an hospital in the last year or two, you don't know how to do anything???
I had an interview yesterday for a job in a convalescent home. No recent experience there either...so, sorry, I didn't qualify!!! I'm 47
and doesn't look it, but with a family, I cannot move freely anywhere I want. And I speak two languages...It took me 10 days on a med surg and I was ready: I could do this job as well as anybody else, and I know I'm pretty capable. So, what is left to do??
Apart of opening our own hospital and hiring people like us..I'll go buy another lottery ticket! Seriously, this will have to crack open at some point. The economy sucks, and hospital rules about hiring make no sense anymore. They are loosing on real talent.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.