Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 344)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Carol in Miami, Florida

46 months ago

Eliza"beth" in Gilbert, Az. in Gilbert, Arizona said: I have been out of Nursing for 12 plus yrs. Recently, I successfully completed the Nursing Refresher Program at Mesa Comm. College as State Board requires. I was fortunate to be able to be a "stay at home mom" after having my 2nd child. I had her at the age of 38. I worked very hard as an ICU nurse for close to 20 yrs prior to having children.20 YEARS in Critical Care,Open Hearts Recovery, Trauma,Neuro(ICP's, IABP's, SGAL's, CVP lines etc.) working in an inner city hospital in Chicago(St. Mary of Nazareth on Division St.)Stabwounds, gunshots, AIDS before it was called that...you name I saw it. Got selected to have my photo in Nursing 82, was employee of the year in 1987, was on every committee I could be on. Quaility Assurance, Poison Committee, Diabetic Teaching Team, volunterily worked in Pharmacy for 3 mths as a Pharmacy Nurse tech to be a spokesperson for nursing and pharmacy to see what happens in the pharmacy---preparing hyperal, iv drips etc.-gaining total respect for "pharmacy".Did charge, got all the certifications ACLS etc.- moved to Phoenix in 1989 doing the same Critical Care-last 8 yrs working 12hr Night shift...Took "indefinite maternity leave in 1998 to be bleesed w/ marriage and 2 baby girls 13 1/2 mths apart.I voluteered w/ everything at school from pre-school-to just this past dec. at the jr. high, not to mention my church for RE(Religious Education)-keeping BLS current, taking 1st aid kit on every fieldtrip till now. Went on my 1st Medical Mission to Cartenga, Columbia in feb. 2010-worked w/best surgeon friend of 30yrs. in surgery and was taught how to give PAP smears to at least 25 young Columbian girls most of which had STD's, Cancer etc. THE MORAL OF MY STORY...I still can't get a job! I am only 51-young at heart, still in good mental and physical shape and totally pumped to get back into nursing. This online applying is CRAP...I am and was good at what I do. I even know people..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Heidiful in Ronkonkoma, New York

45 months ago

Carol,
I couldn't agree with you more. I really feel for you, as I am in the same boat. I never even left nursing. I was laid off from a small community hospital that opened up a new cath lab. Promised a full time position by the end of the year. Really? doing 2 cases a day and being sent home at 9am or 11 am. I was desperate, so went into home care. Even that wasn't full time, but steady. Now after five years and I've been applying during those five years to hospitals ONLINE and I don't even get a response! I was taking care of acutely ill, vented patients (in the home). You are by yourself, so if a patient craps on you, there's no one there to help you. These hospitals are ridiculous. I am 46 years old, and although I have a bad back, I really wanted to give it 2-3 more years, just to get some money ahead to get out of nursing. Here in NY, they are laying off nurses, NPs, etc. Everyone says "why don't you get your NP" Every nurse, I feel, that becomes an NP wants to get away from the bedside and I don't blame them, but if all these nurses become NPs...who is going to be at the bedside. I recently applied to the same hospital I worked at and they are hiring NEW GRADS (with a BSN), but a nurse like myself with 18 years of experience (because I was out of the hospital for a few years) doesn't qualify. I know nurses that graduated from very expensive private 4 year universities that have never even put a patient on a bedpan. Do the administrators look at that? No, they look at the initials behind their names. I am not knocking anyone with a BSN. It's just that the clinical knowledge that some of these new grads have today, just isn't there. With all of your experience, why don't you try local travel. It seems they are more willing to hire. At least you can get "recent" hospital experience. That's what I've done. I blasted my resume on career builder and other sites and have gotten calls from MANY travel companies. U might have some luck. I wish you the best

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Carol,
I wanted to mention also that I wish it was like it was just 8 years ago, where you drove to a facility, filled out an application, saw the person you gave it to and got a name to follow up with. Now they all say "go online". I've gone online and applied for about 10 positions at a hospital I used to work at, then when you call HR, "I haven't gotten a chance to review, etc. etc. OR we'll call you if we want to interview you. I swear these applications just vanish. It's a bunch of BS. You never get an email, a phone call....nothing. Again, I agree this online applying is total CRAP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Guylou46 in Bridgeport, Connecticut

45 months ago

Hi there!

I was out of nursing for 20+ yrs. Went back for a refresher, and still, with BSN RN attached after my name, cannot get anywhere either. I apply for simple stuff, work part -time as a school nurse and as a camp nurse, but apart of that, is if you haven't been in an hospital in the last year or two, you don't know how to do anything???
I had an interview yesterday for a job in a convalescent home. No recent experience there either...so, sorry, I didn't qualify!!! I'm 47
and doesn't look it, but with a family, I cannot move freely anywhere I want. And I speak two languages...It took me 10 days on a med surg and I was ready: I could do this job as well as anybody else, and I know I'm pretty capable. So, what is left to do??
Apart of opening our own hospital and hiring people like us..I'll go buy another lottery ticket! Seriously, this will have to crack open at some point. The economy sucks, and hospital rules about hiring make no sense anymore. They are loosing on real talent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Hi there Guylou,
I responded to a woman out in california whose user name was her email. I told her that I have a plan that my girlfriend and I talked about and we are dead serious. I told her that the only way things are going to change is if the media is made aware of this as well as our senators, reps, (basically government). I am in NY (LI) so it's easy for me to get connections to like ABC, NBC, FOX news. I really want to get a group of nurses together from this forum and any nurse who is fed up and get the information out to the media. If I do it myself, they'll just say, "Oh she's a disgruntled nurse". There is power in numbers. If you and anyone else reads this, write a response as to what you think. If we got nurses together from all over the country with the same view points and explained WHY there are no nurses....and we know why (administration doesn't want us if you step out of the hospital for a year!) They treat us as if we were never nurses. I had posted a comment way back and explained how a recruiter called me and said "I can't help you, because you don't have hospital experience" in the meantime my hospital experience is plastered all over my resume, BUT she read the first job which said home care. So I guess that means I'm not a nurse anymore? Idiot! And that's exactly what we have to deal with.....idiots! Keep me posted on what you think of my idea and somehow we can connect via email along with the other nurse I met. In the meantime, hang in there. That's what I'm doing. WE WILL MAKE THINGS CHANGE. REMEMBER...POWER IN NUMBERS. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Riverton, New Jersey

45 months ago

To Guylou46 Thx 4 sharing! You seem to be in the same place I am. I am also 47 and was out of professional nursing for 20+ years. I've been debating whether or not to invest the time + $ into a refresher course. I've been worried that I STILL will not be hired. I guess you gave me an answer, Sadly!
I agree with you wholeheartedly that the healthcare system is missing out on some true talent. When I weigh the person I am now compared to myself when I was a new grad (when I got hired quickly to 2 positions- med surg & home care) I am SO much more qualified now!!! Motherhood(to 4), maturity & life's experience has given me prioritization, multitasking, rationalization, observation, introspection and problem solving skills that I did not have then, nor could any grad today have. Yet THEY get hired!?!?!
Someday I still hope to return to some aspect of healthcare. I'd love to be a doula, childbirth educator or lactation consultant. One of those is on the horizon 4 me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Heidiful
I am in NJ. Add me to your list of "numbers". My email is hornsix1@gmail.com
Monica

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guylou46 in Bridgeport, Connecticut

45 months ago

Hi there Heidiful,

I'm with you on that...I was telling my hubby about writing to our state representative, and he said, what can the government do about it...Hospital and health care are private organizations...But somehow, I heard also on NPR last week that some body had put a motion that would allowed other places to do teeth withening as dentists do...To get to the point, sometimes, we have to rock the boat against unjust and ridiculous "rules", such are the ones happening in HR and health care. A person doesn't loose all their mental functions in a few years out of a profession. It seems to only target nurses, whom, after a refresher still, are not apt to work??? Then what? It is because we're over 40s? It stinks either way. But we do have to bring this problem to the open somehow.
Thinking more deeply about it, perhaps it also have to do with the culture of fear and lawsuits, that health care companies are not hiring because the insurance industry and lawsuit business consider us to be a danger and a liability (oups, I haven't driven the car since last week...should I go back for my license???) I will write to my state rep, the senator, and start somewhere and still applied for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Guylou,
I'm glad you think the same. I've been saying I'll write to my senators, congressman, etc. but still haven't done it. Once I do, I am going to write a letter and send it over and over and over until I get a response. They are going to be sick of seeing my name. I also think it's discrimination when they post jobs online that say MUST BE BILINGUAL. Well, I applied for a job that said that....it didn't say what language, but I know they mean Spanish. So, I wrote a letter stating I was bilingual (sort of in German) and I am going to call them. I meet the qualifications above and beyond. But when I read MUST BE BILINGUAL, I thought "that's discrimination". I save these emails because I am going to include them in my letters and also present it to the media. This is America. I speak English. Why should I have to speak Spanish to do my job? I see you listen to NPR...so we might be on opposite sides of the political spectrum..lol It doesn't matter. We are all nurses and we are all fed up for the same reasons. What do you think of contacting the media? Let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed RN in San Francisco, California

45 months ago

Thank you all for you comments on the difficulties in returning to the workforce. I have over 12+ years of critical care nursing, have my Masters Degree in a nonclinical specialty and have only been out of practice for 3 years.

I have applied for various positions - inpatient, outpatient, case management, home care with no success. I also remember the days of just "phone interviewing" and getting a job. It's been a rude awakening that the times of changed.

Thank you for your posts. At least I know that I am not alone out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

To Unemployed in California. I just said that to my mother today. I explained to her how I chat with different nurses who can't get jobs and I literally said "well, I know it's not me and it's good to know I'm not alone in this situation. I don't know if you've read any of my other posts, but I was in touch with a woman, also from CA, and I explained to her how we nurses need to get this out to the public, through the media. I am in NY, and I can get in touch with people from NBC, ABC, Fox news, etc. There's power in numbers and I think it would speak volume if nurses like us from all over the US got together and went on the Today Show, or presented "our" story to the media. I worked for a hospital here in NY and they were actually on the Today Show because we were rated the #1 hospital in America by AARP magazine. I was fuming. I can't name the hospital because it will divulge my personal info. but they failed to mention all of the mandatory overtime they put their nurses through and how 13 nurses left the MICU within 4 months!! I was sick about it. So now it's our turn to tell them what it's really like and how health care is going down hill because they don't hire enough nurses to give good patient care. All they want is a warm body. Please let me know if you would be interested in going to the media. Somehow we can get each other's email addresses without divulging it to the world and really get this going. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but the more nurses, the better. Who knows, maybe we could make money off of this and never have to go back to nursing. It looks so grim anyway. Get back to me. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Monica in Riverton, New Jersey said: Heidiful
I am in NJ. Add me to your list of "numbers". My email is hornsix1@gmail.com
Monica

Thanks Monica. I'll be in touch. I'm also 46, but unfortunately don't have kids or a husband. All the more reason I need a good job to support myself because I don't have help. I give you credit raising a family and nursing whew!!...lol Look out for my email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeneceV in Tracy, California

45 months ago

Add me, I gave up my license after trying to find work for over a year. I had current license and certificates but all employers saw was that I had been out of hospital nursing for over two years! I had over 20 years experience and good references!

Denece bluepearl@jps.net , it will get onto my spam folder but I will keep a look out for your email. Something must be done!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cstr in maryland in College Park, Maryland

45 months ago

I do not live in CA. I'm on the east coast and can offer my support to this professional nursing issue. Keep me updated to your efforts.

45 months ago

To cstr in Maryland,
Thanks for responding. I'm on the east coast (NY), but trying to get nurses from all over the country as this is a nationwide problem. Like I said to one nurse, we always hear about teachers problems, well, what about nurses the "unsung heroes" of healthcare. It's time we get some recognition and let the public be made aware of what goes on in our profession.
I'll keep you posted.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Teri in Stockbridge, Georgia

45 months ago

Denece in Tracy, California said: Apparantly it is more fashionable to wail about the "nursing shortage" than to do anything about it. I had been out of nursing 8 years. When I was ready to go back to work I discovered THREE years is the magic number. I have been unsuccessful at finding work as a nurse or finding any re-entry program in my area.
Best of luck to you. I am about to give up.

I am in the same boat, we need to petition the Ga board of nursing to do something! The nursing process does not change, just show me the equipment and let me shadow your best for 1 day !!!

Teri in Stockbridge, Georgia

45 months ago

Lets all write the Ga Board of Nursing and your senators ! we need to be heard, I want to work as a nurse! I have never left , I have been doing medical reviews for the past 10 years after an extensive clinical background in ICU and ER. YOu would think I never passed the boards. employers are rude , they dont respond, they show no respect especially the Visiting Nurse Association. They were just rude, they responded NO ! before I hit the send button !!!!!

luckymarylandRN in Baltimore, Maryland

45 months ago

My situation seems to be atypical to what I am reading in this discussion. I was out of the workforce for 5 years after having a high risk pregnancy with my second child. I decided to stay at home and have a third while I was at it! My husband was earning a great deal of money at the time and we didn't need the extra income. He worked in real estate and I think we all know how that went the last few years. Needless to say I was scrambling to get back into nursing. I found a refresher course online through the University of Delaware. The downside was that it took 6 months to complete even though it was self-paced because you have to take a scheduled test at the end. It was not all that difficult but I knew I had my work cut out for me in the job market. I had heard from a friend that University of Maryland, my alma mater had told all the graduating nurses not to expect to find work. Imagine my odds, with old education and old work experience. To top it off I had only one year experience as an RN in a M/SICU after graduation before my 5 year "retirement". I bought a new suit and fluffed my resume as much as I could. I applied at the local community hospital near my house and the hospital that I had left 5 years before. To my surprise I was offered full time positions at both hospitals, albeit in the step-down units. I was over the moon and chose the one closer to my house even though they only offered me what I was earning when I left work 5 years before. My old hospital called back and offered me more money and when I told them I already accepted another position they added on 3 more dollars to my base pay which became an offer I couldn't refuse. I went back to work making the same money as I would have had I never left. To top it off, a few months later I was offered weekend option and am now earning $50/hr, the most money I have ever made being employed. My point is there are jobs out there, so keep trying and that perfect opportunity will come!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Teri,
I don't know if you've read any of my posts, but in the beginning I had mentioned writing to our senators, (I'm in NY). I b---h all the time the the wrong people (family, etc) My father is vey into politics and he writes to the congressman, local reps, senators all the time. This is something WE ALL have to do. I'm in NY and I want to get this nursing "issue" to the media. I've gotten a couple of email addresses from some nurses and have contacted them, but I don't like asking for an email address because it's personal. However, I am really, really pushing for people to joing me because there is more power when there are more people. We hear about teachers and their "problems" ALL THE TIME. Well, teachers can do the worst job in the world and if they're tenured they CAN'T get fired. In the meantime we have all these nurses responding on this thread with YEARS of experience in all different settings who can't get jobs. I was in home care for a few years and now send out tons of resumes and apps and get the same ole "oh, you haven't worked in a hospital in...years. BUT, they'll hire a new grad into a critical care setting. I want to get back to the hospital, AND I WILL. In the meantime, I agree with you that we should be writing our state senators and like I said my goal is to get nurses together from all over the country and present this to all of the news networks. FOX is nationwide and they're right here in NY. I've called them before. Let me know if it's something you'd be willing to be a part of. Thanks.

45 months ago

Heidiful in Ronkonkoma, New York said: Teri,
I don't know if you've read any of my posts, but in the beginning I had mentioned writing to our senators, (I'm in NY). I b---h all the time the the wrong people (family, etc) My father is vey into politics and he writes to the congressman, local reps, senators all the time. This is something WE ALL have to do. I'm in NY and I want to get this nursing "issue" to the media. I've gotten a couple of email addresses from some nurses and have contacted them, but I don't like asking for an email address because it's personal. However, I am really, really pushing for people to joing me because there is more power when there are more people. We hear about teachers and their "problems" ALL THE TIME. Well, teachers can do the worst job in the world and if they're tenured they CAN'T get fired. In the meantime we have all these nurses responding on this thread with YEARS of experience in all different settings who can't get jobs. I was in home care for a few years and now send out tons of resumes and apps and get the same ole "oh, you haven't worked in a hospital in...years. BUT, they'll hire a new grad into a critical care setting. I want to get back to the hospital, AND I WILL. In the meantime, I agree with you that we should be writing our state senators and like I said my goal is to get nurses together from all over the country and present this to all of the news networks. FOX is nationwide and they're right here in NY. I've called them before. Let me know if it's something you'd be willing to be a part of. Thanks.

Pardon my spelling, I type pretty fast.

45 months ago

luckymarylandRN-

"lucky" indeed, and yes, very "atypical".

45 months ago

RNIBE in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I am so sorry. There is a site online that helps nurses in need if you search under than title: Nurses in need or something to that affect. I will see if I can find the site and add it here in a few.

Does this site have jobs? Just curious. Here in NY the refresher course which is 6 weeks (5 days in the class and ONE yes ONE day of clinical) costs $2700.00 Like everything else in NY (expensive) and to have my old supervisor say "where are you gonna go and make $30.00 and hour"? I said back to the hospital. But another bad thing about living here here is that #1 they don't count travel nursing experience. If you took off a month one year and 2 months another year, etc. they don't count your years of experience, they count the MONTHS!!! No joke. When I interviewed out of state, the salaries were about $2.00 an hour less than I would be making here. That's pathetic considering the MEDIAN price of a home on L.I. is $385,000. I am single and will never be able to afford a home here (unless I find a young Mr. Trump...lol) Maybe I'll move to Maryland. Yes luckyinMarylandRN, let me know if they're hiring where you are.

45 months ago

Monica in Riverton, New Jersey said: luckymarylandRN-

"lucky" indeed, and yes, very "atypical".

Yes, I posted that at the end of a previous comment. In case you didn't see it, let me know if they are hiring...Heidiful in Ronkonkoma, NY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but anyway, I'm re-posting my comment. To luckyMarylandRN you are very lucky. Let me know if they are hiring. I'm a "free agent". Seems like everyone I know, if they've been out of the hospital more than 3 years, it's as if you were never a nurse. Please let me know. Thanks. (I'm still going to the media and politicians)!

45 months ago

Hi there. Sadly, the nursing profession here in the states is notorious for recruiting nurses from other countries. We have thousands of nurses (experienced too) in this country who can't find jobs, yet the hospitals make trips to the Phillippines, India, Nigeria to get nurses ALL EXPENSES paid. They provide housing for them as well. You don't hear of school districts running abroad to get teachers but hospitals are all about money. It's a business just like any other. They don't care if they have one nurse caring for 14 patients. Yet you're expected to give excellent care, do all the paper work and if you run past your shift, they won't pay you over time. They'll just say you need to work on your organizational skills. I'm trying to get back into the hospital. I've been a nurse for 18 years and can't find work (in NY anyway). Nursing schools are closing because the field is not hiring. Yet all you hear about is the nursing shortage. There are plenty of nurses out there, yet hospitals here in NY, anyway, are closing and if not closing they are laying off nurses, as if they don't expect many sick people anymore. This so called Health Care Reform Obama has in mind is only going to ruin it for nurses even more. I'd think twice about becoming a nurse. Become a dental hygienist. They make good money, work normal hours, no holidays. If you do go into nursing I wish you the best. It's a very cut throat field and nurses don't back each other up. Also plan on working holidays, weekends, unless you work in a doctor's office where you get paid peanuts, then you'll be off holidays. I worked in a cardiologist's office for THREE days and quit. It was just as busy as the hospital and I was making $15 an hour less. Just do some careful thinking whatever you decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

karen in Denver, Colorado

45 months ago

I spent 2500 on a RN refresher course after being out of nursing for 10 years. I had 10 years of critical care experience and completed 120 clincial hours in a level one trauma ICU duirng my refresher course. I still cant get a job. I would not recommend wasting your time and money on a refresher course unless it is through a hospital that is guaranteeing you a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

sharmaine lou,ky in Louisville, Kentucky

44 months ago

I am angry, frustrated, I have not been able to reenter the career that I worked so very hard for..I have been in nursing for 30years, took off to care for my dad and brother, until they passed..A career that I love, dedicated myself to, believed in, has treated me horribly...I guess a nurse has a special diagnosis that dissolves brain cells r/t nursing, when she takes time off,,because that is how I am treated. I have retained an lawyer,, I was never told, at anytime, that if you take time off, you lose your nursing career, you are no longer viable, the education expense,time,title is no longer accepted.. A career, profession that is based on empathy, acceptance, guidance, a foundation of caring is not what I have experienced in my time of need.

Heidiful in Centereach, New York

44 months ago

Sharmaine, So well written and true. It's late here (or early) and I'm going back to sleep, but I can tell you a story which might make you feel that you're not alone. I've spent many days, nights crying after working so hard for 18 years and not able to find a job. I finally found one, but it's a long story. I wish I could email you, but I respect your privacy and wouldn't ask you to put your email address on so I could contact you. I have a few others that did when I told them I have a plan to get as many nurses together throughout the country and contact the media, congress, etc. and MAKE THE PUBLIC aware of what really goes on in the Nursing "profession." I started replying on a forum about nurse refresher courses, so if you go to the top of the page and where it says Find Forums, type in nurse refresher courses and you can read the old posts that go back to, I think, October. Check it out.

Jo in Littleton, Colorado

44 months ago

karen in Denver, Colorado said: I spent 2500 on a RN refresher course after being out of nursing for 10 years. I had 10 years of critical care experience and completed 120 clincial hours in a level one trauma ICU duirng my refresher course. I still cant get a job. I would not recommend wasting your time and money on a refresher course unless it is through a hospital that is guaranteeing you a job.
Hi, Karen, I am also as frustrated and disheartened as you. I spent $3500 on an RN Refresher course after being out of the hospital situation for 13 years but worked in various clinics, Dr offices, and private duty. The hospital where I did my clinical practicum was the same hospital that I had worked for 7 years in one department--than another 1 1/2 years in another department. They will not even hire me. I am hearing the same thing--"You do not have recent experience." I was hoping that the refresher course was the answer to getting my foot back in the door but that was not the case. I don't know what the answer is but I do know that an RN Refresher does show a potential employer that you are motivated to stay "current" in your chosen career but it does not get you a job.I have over 20 plus years as an RN and another 7 years as a LPN with many different areas of nursing experience.I wish you all the best in your pursuit and I will continue to pursue but it does remain discouraging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeffrey in Schertz, Texas

44 months ago

Denece in Tracy, California said: Apparantly it is more fashionable to wail about the "nursing shortage" than to do anything about it. I had been out of nursing 8 years. When I was ready to go back to work I discovered THREE years is the magic number. I have been unsuccessful at finding work as a nurse or finding any re-entry program in my area.
Best of luck to you. I am about to give up.

move to texas, many good opportunities and programs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Denece in Tracy, California

44 months ago

Unfortunately, we had just bought a house here. In the time since I wrote that, I have surrendered my license and filed for Social Security. If those cheap-to-hire new grads can't get hired you know they aren't taking any experienced nurses. In fact my local hospital just cut pay for 4-yr degrees and certificates (like my RNC, and other advanced practice awards). In effect that cut about $4400/ $8800 per year from most nurses on staff. The implications are not looking good for the profession unless nurses band to gether. Right now they are getting the work of 4 nurses out of every 3 and cutting wages. What's next?

I am not working or planning to , but I can still lobby!

Denece

Amber in Sugar Land, Texas

44 months ago

I just completed a Nurse Refresher Program in Texas. I did the course work by correspondence and then did clinicals at their site. It went great! I did not have money but, they helped me qualify for assitance with the Texas Workforce who then, paid 90% of my cost. TWhen I went to clinicals there was another refresher nurse from my program that was coming off of disability and DARS paid for her refresher course. Oh yeah, I went to PHES. They sent me some sample resumes so, I am working on mine while licensing being done at board of nursing. It worked out for me and I hope it will work for you guys as well.
Blessings in 2012 to each of you and your families!

44 months ago

I hear ya Jo. I never even left nursing. I was laid off and just started doing home care so I could get some money coming in and all the while applying for hospital positions. That was about the time the economy started turning sour. Went to job fairs, spoke to doctors I used to work with...nothing helped. It seems that 3 years, here in NY, anyway, is the magic number. Then it's like you've never been a nurse and this being told to me by recruiters who are clueless about the nursing profession. Now, with 18 years of nursing behind me, but the last five in private duty, and home care, IV infusion, taking care of vented, sick kids ON MY OWN who would de-sat, but not surrounded by 4 hospital walls, I'm not considered a nurse. The refresher courses offered here (there are two) are $3500 and six weeks long. Five days in the class room and ONE day of clinical. I'm a procedural nurse. How is one day of clinical going to help me. I do cath lab, IR, pain management. Then I talk to nurses I know who have taken it and they still don't get hired. The hospitals all want BSN nurses. One hospital I used to work at is hiring only BSN nurses (and yes, new grads), but since I only have an Associate's degree, but 18 years of experience and some of it at that hospital, I won't even be considered. I'm so sick of the BS involved with this field, I don't even know what to do anymore. I can't afford to take a refresher course and not be guaranteed a job. Then I'm told to apply for med/surg jobs?! After doing critical care for years and cath lab, radiology....where is a med/surg position going to get me? Except in the nut house!! Nurses need to speak up and stick together, but I find that most nurses don't and my goal is to get all of this to the media. I've had a few on this site give me their emails so I can contact them. I live in NY and have contacts with some of the networks. We always hear about teachers, what about us nurses???

NurseForHire in Dumont, New Jersey

44 months ago

My wife who has a BSN has not found a job after graduating in May of 2009 with a GPA 3.4. She took a refreshers course and one month has passed by no job yet. Not one reply. Hospitals do not have a Nursing recruiters contact number, but doctors do.

Since 2009 graduates have been having a very difficult time getting any nursing job. There is a serious crisis. It’s of my opinion the Hospitals together with the politicians are flooding our country by design. So the Hospitals can bring down the pay scale next to nothing. Only the graduates with connections are able to get their foot in.

I emailed to 2 of our senators Menendez & Lautenberg and our congressman Steven Rothman. What a complete joke. I got an immediate reply from both Senators with their usual plain generic letter. Our congressman replied only after 3 months with another stupid reply. Reply with a scheduled job fair listing with no Nursing jobs in it. When look at the list of their contributors of course you see the health industries. I say these politicians are on their payroll. The Hospitals are colonizing USA with Asians and from other 3rd world countries thanks to our corrupt politicians. They will not give us USA citizens the time or day.

I bet you $10 if I was a CEO of a Hospital they would respond immediately. Please allow us to import more Indian & Philippine nurses and 3rd world country of our choice. Your wish has been granted, but this will cost you another $10,000. Not problem sir your check will arrive overnight. If there is anything else we can provide with please do not hesitate to email or call.

Politicians respond only to people who show them the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

My wife who has a BSN has not found a job after graduating in May of 2009 with a GPA 3.4. She finished and passed a refreshers course last month no job yet. Only one job interview since May 2009. Hospitals do not have a Nursing recruiters contact number, but doctors do. That’s what they really think about the Nursing profession.

Since 2009 the graduates have been having a very difficult time getting any nursing job. There is a serious crisis here and the politicians refuse to comprehend it. It’s of my opinion the Hospitals together with the politicians are flooding our country by design. So the Hospitals can bring down the pay scale next to nothing. Only the graduates with connections are able to get their foot in the door.

I emailed to 2 of our senators Menendez & Lautenberg and our congressman Steven Rothman. That was a complete joke. I did get an immediate reply from both our dear Senators, but with their usual plain generic letter. Our congressman Steven Rothman replied only after 3 months with another stupid reply. His reply was with a scheduled job fair listing with no Nursing jobs in it. When I look at the list of their contributors of course you will see the health industries. I say these politicians are on their payroll. The Hospitals are colonizing USA with Asians and from other 3rd world countries thanks to our corrupt politicians. They will not give us USA citizens the time or day. Mind you they are all democrats so do not think it matters what party they are affiliated to. Especially when they are career politicians who mainly profit from inside information in their government dealings just think about.

I bet you $10 if I was a CEO of a Hospital they would respond immediately. With the CEO asking to please allow us to import more Indian & Philippine nurses and 3rd world country of our choice. Your wish sir has been granted, but this will cost you another $10,000.
Cont....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Cont.. from the last reply...

Not a problem sir your check will arrive overnight. Is there any other service we can provide with please do not hesitate to email or call.

Politicians respond only to people who show them the money.

I would like to know once and for all where the media gets their source of information. When they claim the health industry is ranked right up at the top in job hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Amber in TX- Please post if you are hired. I'm watching this forum to see how many are successfully hired after completing a refresher course.
thanks!

joanRN in Palos Park, Illinois

44 months ago

i'm watching and reading all these threads in horror! i thought all this was maybe an east coast issue...but as a REFRESHED RN in the chicago area...i'm afraid it might be the same story here :( once you are out of the hospital 5 years, a refresher course is required, but getting back IN to the hospital is a real challenge!
i've only been looking a short time...but i am not optimistic!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Phoenix, Arizona

44 months ago

elizabeth in Gilbert, Arizona said: I know, this is killing me, I successfully completed the theory and clinical portions of AZ required nursing refresher program(in nov. 10) my liscense is current and valid again. BLS current and 2wks ago I successfully completed ACLS on my own (paid 195.00 plus cost of book 37.50 out of my pocket) I have been applying for jobs daily and keep getting "not selected" I just applied at the MARICOPA COUNTY HOSPITAL and was turned down seconds after I submitted my application. I dont think they even had time to read my resume!! I'm so discouraged, funny thing I know I can do these jobs, my 20 yr. plus experience is ICU/TRAUMA/HEARTS/POST OPS/CARDIAC... I can't even get in w/ my old hospital where I worked several years. Cost of refresher at least 3000$ plus---I just don't get it...anybody out there that can ENLIGHTEN me?

I am sort of in the same situation. I have a current license, 8 uears of ICU experience and a BSN. I worked as a nurse in an office setting for 7 years. I am being told you do not have 2 or 3 years of current hospital experience. I cannot understand it either. I was also in school during those 7 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

The problem here is not you. The Hospital are creating the nursing shortage by design. So the media can continue to write on these shortages. The Hospitals are contributing towards these corrupt politicians 10's of millions of dollars to their campaigns. They are no different than corporate America. It is estimated that the health industry is estimated to be around at 2 trillion dollars plus a year. They run to these same politicians who are basically on their payroll. Justifying the colonization of USA with more cheap Asians labor. Too many times they falsify their resumes.

44 months ago

Couldn't agree with you more.....from another "nurse for hire" in NY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I think I may take the RN Refresher in the summer though I have bad feelings about it. During the 7 years I worked as an Office Nurse and Manager, I was also in a Masters program so it is not like I was away from the field or anything like that. The market is very saturated here and the education does not help you to compete when the saturation is so high. I have really thought about changing fields and I could study something else like take a bridge into a different field. Or, maybe I should go to law school and become a nurse attorney and help others in my same situation.
I still need a job to do anything at this point. Kathy

43 months ago

What we ought to do is ban together and create a vacuum of shortage where the hospitals and other facilities would be stuck without anyone licensed to run things. Then, maybe we might be given back some of the respect that we deserve. Another point, this month I have gone on about 4 interviews, 2 hospital, 1 cancer center and 1 long-term care facility. The individuals tell me yes you have the job and then about a week later I receive a denial in an email. I think this is absolutely cruel treatment. How would they like to be in the same position as I am. I pray some day they are so they can see how hurtful they were to me.

kathleenrswan, rn, bsn in Spokane, Washington

43 months ago

I am just now ending the WSU RN Refresher Course (awaiting preceptorship placement). Please understand that this course is NOT on-line; there are text books to bur and read, and physical paperwork to complete and send in. There is nothing about this course that can be considered 'on-line.' And a requirement is a 3-day hands-on lab, where fundaments are reviewed (nursing math; IV solutions/insertions; PICC/Central Lines; etc.). Here in Spokane, WA, that is completed at the university; in Hawaii, I have no idea. Then there is the matter of the final proctored exam you will take, then the 145-hour preceptorship. At $2100.00 plus books and any supplies you may not have (stethoscope, for example), I feel it is well worth it to get me 'hospital ready.' I've been in LTC since 1993, and want to try out hospital work, so I had to get this class done.

43 months ago

JohnB in Brooklyn, New York said: At age 40, I borrowed $70,000 to pay for a BS in nursing at Columbia University in NYC. I then worked a year and half as a staff nurse in the burn intensive care unit of a giant NYC hospital--a trial by fire that made a good nurse out of me fast. I loved the work, but I couldn't afford rent PLUS payments on debt, so for five years, I returned to my previous profession to pay down my loans. I accomplished that in 2010, quit my job, and started looking for work as a nurse again. It's been a year now. I have been ignored, insulted, even abused, from the Midwest to the South to the Northeast. The behavior of most nurse managers I have encountered would get them fired in any other profession. Appalling. Nurses really do treat each other horribly. ... I am not giving up just yet. I plan to spend $3,000 on a nurse refresher course here in the NYC area and subject myself to further humiliation as I continue to look for work in the caring profession. I'm not optimistic. At the least, I can write a memoir that would, I hope, make all of the mean-spirited nurses I've encountered hang their heads in shame.

John,
I am in a very similar situation to yours. I attended a prestigious
BSN program in Illinois and graduated. Then I worked in ICU and Telemetry for 6 years, then had a baby and decided to stay home.
After my child was about 7 I started working in a medical office and became the Nurse Manager. That company closed a few months ago.
During that time, I spent about 15,000.00 on an MSN and am about 80 percent done. So, now I am trying to find a position. I worked a seasonal job for an immunization company until 11/24 and then joined a registry. The only place they could put me was PSYCH, but a hospital. I continued to apply and was interviewed for the OR, ICU at a local hospital and a long term care facility. No hires. Finally, the registry found a jail position for me starting in 3 days. Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jaymar5454@aol.com in Brick, New Jersey

43 months ago

This is how the game worked in NJ. Approximately 5 years ago the gates were flooded with RN's from 3rd world countries. Please don't blame these RN's for this alone, if you were in their shoes you might want to do it too.
In the mid 80's many Filipino nurses were imported to help with a "shortage". The hospitals were allowed to let them practice for certain amount of time and then they had to pass the NCLEX and were sent back if they did not pass. The hospitals paid for their residences, transportation and testing. The imported nurses made a low wage and were essentially threatened if they complained about dangerous staffing levels etc. Approximately six years ago this occurred again, however in a slightly different manner.
The hospitals claimed that there was a Nursing shortage, then the Nurse Staffing agencies stepped into the picture. This time the nurse staffing agencies imported the nurses and just about ruined there businesses. Take a look at the number of staffing agencies six years ago compared to the present. These agencies imported many, many RN's.
They paid transportation,licensing,housing etc. They paid a minimal amount of money to these nurses and thought they had reached pay dirt Nirvana. Agency nurses found it difficult to get work and were told to rush back to hospital jobs or they would be out of work.Meanwhile our Nursing Schools were filled to the rafters pumping out new nurses and telling students they would have no problem finding jobs after taking out their student loans. OK now the banks are happy, the hospitals are happy and the agencies are happy. This is when it really gets good. You see the imported nurses now decide that they want to make the same money as the "american" nurses even though they signed a contract in their country that included their obligations, pay rate and length of time they will work for these companies. Some of these nurses did the honorable thing and paid to get out of their contract. To be continued...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

To: jaymar........

Thanks for putting into words what I've suspected for a while. I've decided that I'm going to stop blaming myself for taking time away from nursing to raise 4 kids. At the time I made this decision, RN's in NJ WERE very much able to take time off and then return as long as they kept their license current and possibly took a refresher course or some form of re-orientation. I based my decision on how it was then. Unfortunately times have changed (as you explained). I had no control over that. I'm not going to beat myself up over it anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

jaymar5454@aol.com in Brick, New Jersey

43 months ago

Continued...Some of the nurses did the honorable thing and paid to get out of the contract they had signed. Some with the covert assistance of "foreign nurse" associations (some believe the hospitals assisted as well)sued and settled out of court allowing them out of their contracts. I for one do not blame these nurses for wanting a better life however our government allowed this to occur with very little proof that there was a need for so many imported RN's. The agency nurses were able to hold on for another several years but that too would change. These nurses started working overtime and getting two jobs. They complained about agency RN's and were able to get them DNR'd sothat they might get the extra time. At about the same time NJHA started tracking nurses and any complaints made about them. You are not informed about the complaints. You can have great references. It will not matter and you have no right to see a file and answer to complaints it works like the blacklist created in Texas for RN's known as Group One. Look it up.So in closing good luck to all the new nurses, be very careful about getting people angry, do not voice an opinion and remember most of the nurses that came from another country are good hard working nurses. They just wanted something better. The fault lies within the hospital corporations (CEO's making over a million per year), the agencies that thought they found the golden idol and the banks and government that will never release these nurses from their student loans.

Fran in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

DeneciePie in Tracy, California said: I wish you all the luck in the world.
I had 20+ years experience, mostly L&D, and have been told "3 years out of hospital and you are untouchable". Hospital says try registry, registry says their limit is 2 years away from hospital. I just let my AWHONN certification lapse and the "active CA license" goes next. CABRN is unwilling to get involved even though they admit the problem is significant. No re-entry programs here that I can find and they say its a "personnel issue"!
I am 60 years old and really not wanting to go through he!! and high water again to get back into nursing when I am so nearly at the end of my working life. If I could get that pet store job, I'd be a happy camper. As it is we are lucky to have my husbands pension to make ends almost meet. We did not intend to be using up so much of our nest egg so early, but in this economy, who was?
I really feel bad for all the folks getting sucked into loans for educational programs to get licenses for "recession proof" RN jobs that aren't there.
Maybe you can find a re-entry thru the med school, or just sign up for classes and get your MD.

What is it about California? They are a blue state yet so anti-labor.

Fran in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

DeneceV in Tracy, California said: My license expires at the end of the month. It would cost me about $500 I don't have to maintain it since they added the mandatory fingerprinting here in CA. I am 61 and apparently unemployable. Thank God I have a husband with a small retirement income and I can start collecting SS next year!
It ticks me off that there is still a big push to increase funding to produce more RNs when so many of us are out of work! But then, who ever said life was fair?

California is suppose to be a blue state for Obama. The red states treat nurses better. California is the pitts. My hospital just got swallowed up by a Calif chain and they are beyond NASTY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.