Refresher Courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 341)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

NurseForHire in New York, New York

33 months ago

My wife took the refreshers course at Rutgers too. She too felt that it was a waste of time. In all of the med exams she scored 100. These Nursing refresher courses are out there to take your money knowingly that the chances of you getting a job is very low.
She went to nursing job fairs and the recruiters they laughed at her. In job fair they displayed a level of arrogance they saw a group of foreigners Philippines and immediately dropped the conversation with her and told her to leave her resume.
It seems that our corrupt Politicians who supported the special visas programs for hospitals are out to replace US citizens out of a job and to apply for Welfare. There are 10’s of thousands of new graduates & experienced nurses who are seeking a job from the year 2008 with no success. They are currently in debt crisis. Emailed to our New Jersey Senators receiving their usual watered down generic response.
We do not need US to be colonized Asians by Corporate America (who BTW include Hospitals) and the Politicians.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DeneceV in Tracy, California

33 months ago

Its not just where you are. Here in California they hire mostly foreign nurses because they give extra points for bilingual even if your English is unintelligible Then they get paid by brokers who farm this talent to the hospitals and the hosp keeps the foreign hire on a very slow track to step increases. The foreign nurse doesn't complain but I can see why; no work ethic. Hubby was just in for broken leg and care was abysmal. Advise anyone with loved one going into hospital to arrange care by family. The nurses won't do basic care, seldom assess ( may not know what to look for) and are mostly just scared of getting in trouble with admin. they must fudge their charting since they never observe patient. Just log into room. Give meds and run out

It's obscene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NurseForHire in Paramus, New Jersey

33 months ago

The media who are getting their information from self-interest instituations such as the Nursing school as though nursing is a recession proof profession. As a result there are thousands that want to become a Nurse.

Here's an example of a letter my wife tried to get published with no success.

Dear Mr. Martin Gottlieb – Editor of “The Record”,

Regarding “Higher education gives nurses a healthier career”(page J-5, July15).

As I am reading this article I am astounded and very disconcerted. The article is very misleading. If truth be told, is now the time to follow that nursing career dream! I am an adult who pursued her career in nursing. Recently graduated in May 2009 with a BSN from William Paterson University and still looking for work. I started to obtain my Masters in nursing unfortunately I had drop out because I was unable to find employment. I did not want to get caught with a loan I could not repay. I have a passion for nursing, but no hospital experience. After reading the help wanted ads in newspapers, Nursing Journals, internet searches and filling out applications to various hospitals and offices, Networking and various job fairs a recruiter suggested I take a RN Refresher Course. I was absent from bedside since May 2009. I took the Course from Rutgers. After the RN Refresher Course I went back to the recruiter for an interview. Guess what? I am still unemployed because there are no jobs in nursing. I am caught in a vicious cycle. No work no experience and no experience no work! My years of experience are in homecare, but hospitals do not want to hire an adult with no experience in hospitals. I am sick and tired of reading about the abundance of nursing jobs out there. The nurses in close proximity to the retirement ages are going to retire soon. There will be a plethora of nursing jobs available the newspapers articles, Journals and the internet. Go into nursing! Get your degrees! Seriously!!

To be continued.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NurseForHire in Paramus, New Jersey

33 months ago

My nursing degrees are worthless! There are no jobs for RN’s with a BSN. Give me a recruiter’s telephone number and name who is essentially hiring RNs in the tri-state area.

I am a mature adult. Nursing is not an effortless profession. I worked and studied hard to get where I am in my profession. It is a field where you are always learning. I am not looking as some of the new young graduates to stay in a job for a couple of years get some experience and move on. I know exactly what I want. I am not looking to move on after a few years. Some hospitals because of the turnovers don’t want to make that investment on new nurses. Nowadays you send a resume and you get utterly no reply.

What you fail to mention in the article is that the Apollo Research Institute is formerly University of Phoenix Research Institute. Of course University of Phoenix would want you to continue education. It’s more money for their nursing schools. The universities are willing to acquire money for degrees which are worthless in this economy. The Record article states, “today’s health-care and nursing careers require more education and personal planning than in the past.” In reality what needs to be done is to stop sponsoring foreign nurses for RN positions in the U.S. Cease in addition sponsoring foreign doctors who take a short-cut through the nursing profession first in order to acquire working medical degree in this country.
Bring an end to saying there are nursing jobs out there for new nurses with BSN degrees when there are not! Do some research in the Nursing forums and you will see how few Nursing jobs are available in this economy for new nurses. If there are jobs available it’s not what you know, but who you know.

Sincerely,
Aggravated in Fair Lawn

kathleen in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

I totally agree with your analysis. I also have a BSN and hospital experience but it is from 10 years ago. I worked 6 years in intensive care all units (actually through a registry) and 2 years in telemetry. I am 57 years old. I do not have any gaps as I worked in a medical office during that time as a Nurse Manager. That still will not suffice. I have had 3 recruiters ask me to take the Refresher which I will most likely do. The problem is there are no jobs. When I took this degree in the first place my mother a single parent told me to do this rather than teaching because of job saturation. I hate to say this but by degree is obsolete. I am 1 year unemployed and wondering if I should start studying something else or try to start a business. I am passionate about my career but there is a limit to the frustration I can endure at this age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

7Angels in Manhattan, New York

33 months ago

DeneceV in Tracy, California said: Its not just where you are. Here in California they hire mostly foreign nurses because they give extra points for bilingual even if your English is unintelligible Then they get paid by brokers who farm this talent to the hospitals and the hosp keeps the foreign hire on a very slow track to step increases. The foreign nurse doesn't complain but I can see why; no work ethic. Hubby was just in for broken leg and care was abysmal. Advise anyone with loved one going into hospital to arrange care by family. The nurses won't do basic care, seldom assess ( may not know what to look for) and are mostly just scared of getting in trouble with admin. they must fudge their charting since they never observe patient. Just log into room. Give meds and run out

It's obscene

So so true. They're "robotic" in their care...seriously. Look at the way they behave and the way they "care" for their patients. No individual is the same and I say "robotic" because they act is if they are programmed to do the minimal. I worked with a nurse who had been in this particular hospital for 14 years. EVERY TIME she needed to check the labs on her patient (CCU), she would ask me. I finally asked her why she always asks me to check her labs. Well, she told me "I don't know how to use the computer." WT Heck!! That is part of your job. I guess I was too naive and shy to say anything, but that took time away from MY patients. Yet...they get away with it BECAUSE nobody says anything. And this nurse has a BS from the Phillipines. I am sorry, but you CAN NOT compare their education to ours. They are TRAINED...NOT EDUCATED. But, like Monika said...Administration pays a service fee to the recruiters that hire them. Ì think a hospital would be wise to invest time in re-orienting OUR OWN nurses who may have been out of the acute care setting for personal or family matters, OR ANY MATTER. I am truly disgusted with everything that is going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in Columbus, Ohio

32 months ago

I have been an RN since 1984. I, unfortunatly, only have an Associates Degree. I have been out of the hospital work force for almost 15 years. I was busy raising adopted grandchildren, taking care of both parents as they were in their final stages of life, and also my (now) ex-husbands father and grandmother. Here I am, I have to go back to work. I have to work full time, but instead am doing home health visits. They have only 13 hrs/week for me. I am finding that the home health care business wants RN's until the pt. no longer needs IV's or blood draws..the pts. are then turned over to LPN's. I will be 60 soon, I have a hx of cancer, post 3 surgeries, post radiation and chemo. I have over $75,000.00 in medical debt. The one hospital that I know of in central OH that does have an nurse-reentry program only accepts BSN. I feel like I am drowning. I have taken a part time job at a local convenience store just to make sure I have enough gas money to go to my nursing jobs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Elprup in Willits, California

28 months ago

allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/cnn-article-nurses-808314.html

Check it out, CNN just interviewed new grads/old grads in this exact situation! Finally someone is telling the story. I have written so many people, Senators, Oprah, ANS, CNA, everybody and nothing. UNTIL WE ALL WRITE LETTERS AND FLOOD THEIR MAILBOXES, nobody is going to listen. I finally found a job, but the pay is sooo low, I feel better volunteering, because my new job pigeon holes me. Arrrrggg, so much for graduating in 2008 when the economy took a downturn....and I have relocated twice! First move I was not good enough to be a staff nurse, second move I was disqualified after my second interview for new grad program because I had 3 months of experience. Talk about a slap in the face. Good luck to you all, may we all find a decent RN position that we can grow, learn and feel welcomed in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dspacc@optonline.net in Massapequa Park, New York

28 months ago

Heidiful in Ronkonkoma, New York said: Hello. I happen to live on Long Island myself. I've been out of the hospital for 5 years, but never left nursing. I was doing private duty and home care the past five years. I resigned in April and have not been able to land a job ANYWHERE. I was treated horribly by the agency (and family) I was working for so I decided it was time to leave.
I've spoken to 100s OF recruiters and all I've been told is that they are not going to hire me unless I have recent hospital experience. I looked into a refresher course and knew someone who took the course and she said it was a complete waste of time and money. There is a course at Adelphi University in Garden City and one at Molloy College in Rockville Centre. I've even fibbed and stated I took a refresher course but it didn't matter they want recent experience. I've been a nurse for 18 years and while doing home care I was taking care of acutely ill patients who were often taken to the hospital. Pts. with G-tubes, trachs, vented, wounds, diabetes, etc.
So, as a cath lab nurse and ICU nurse, I posted my resume on career builder and as soon as I said I would be willing to relocate, the phone calls started coming in.
I wish I could speak to you directly, but honestly all I've been told is that a hospital won't even look at a resume if they see "nursing home or home care" on it.
So I've interviewed with a couple of hospitals out west. One hospital I interviewed with is actually flying me out there for a second interview. I hope I get offered the job because I have no choice. I don't know what your particular situation is, but just letting you know that Nursing is saturated on Long Island and if you have to leave for a year, to get your feet wet again, do it. The hospitals out of NY are beautiful and don't kill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dspacc@optonline.net in Massapequa Park, New York

28 months ago

Dspacc@optonline.net in Massapequa Park, New York said:

Heidiful I'm Stunned at the turn nursing has taken. I have 13 years NICU experience and 10 years of concurrent home care pediatric. I have been out of the hospital 4 years. I am shocked that nurses can't get rehired. I was an excellent nurse with a perfect record. I was interested in emailing you , since you also live on LI. Can you email me at the above address?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Louisville, Kentucky

25 months ago

Looks like many of us are in the same boat. I have been out of the clinical setting for many years and now facing end of my contract for case management. Now I am looking into what refresher course I can take to bring me current. Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joanRN in chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

why not just stay in case management? there seems to be more opportunities with that experience, at least here in chicago. if you refresh, you still may have difficulty finding a clinical job. too many nurses to choose from these days....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former Worker in Illinois

25 months ago

Cathy and jaymar, I swear I worked with some of those Philipinos! 'Oh, there are people who live on less then X amount a month over there!' Yeah, same here; some of them are nursing home residents.

I have been unable to find a job for 3 years. Out of I forgot how many apps, I had 4 interviews. Today, I got raked over the coals because of the 'gaps' in my resume. Helllllloooo! Many of the reasons have been covered: For experience, you need a job, but you need a job for experience, etc.

Did anyone mention that the retirement age has been bumped up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

Denece in Tracy, California said: Apparantly it is more fashionable to wail about the "nursing shortage" than to do anything about it. I had been out of nursing 8 years. When I was ready to go back to work I discovered THREE years is the magic number. I have been unsuccessful at finding work as a nurse or finding any re- entry program in my area.
Best of luck to you. I am about to give up.

Me, too, Denece. I've been an RN for over 30 years. Got hurt in 2009. Trying to go back to work, but no one wants me...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

I'm a Califonia RN with over 30 years experience in acute care, longterm care and case management. Have kept up my license, my CCM and have taken legal nursing and medical coding courses in the meantime. I can not get an INTERVIEW anywhere. Got hurt & had surgery in 2009. I desperately want to go back to work, but cannot even get AN INTERVIEW! I have a large CV and a truckload of letters and commendations, but no one cares. Some say take a refresher course--but with no guarantees, who can afford to do that? Looking for ANY advice, please. Any "affordable" refresher courses in N. Calif.? Thanks!

23 months ago

Vicci Nolan said: I'm a Califonia RN with over 30 years experience in acute care, longterm care and case management. Have kept up my license, my CCM and have taken legal nursing and medical coding courses in the meantime. I can not get an INTERVIEW anywhere. Got hurt & had surgery in 2009. I desperately want to go back to work, but cannot even get AN INTERVIEW! I have a large CV and a truckload of letters and commendations, but no one cares. Some say take a refresher course--but with no guarantees, who can afford to do that? Looking for ANY advice, please. Any "affordable" refresher courses in N. Calif.? Thanks!

where in northern california?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

Above Sacramento, southeast of Hwy 50, near Placerville...

23 months ago

3 years out of nursing is not a long time. i wouldn't think you need a refresher course. besides hospitals have you tried home health? home infusion companies? hospice? sub-acute rehab? if you want to e-mail me privately i'm at joankiser@hotmail.com

Sharon RN in Glastonbury, Connecticut

23 months ago

Has anyone ever taken the Kane refresher class? My job as a nurse liaison was eliminated 6 months ago. I have been sending out numerous resumes, have had only 4 interviews with no offers. I have been a nurse for over 30 years, have 18 years in homecare, but no real nursing experience in 3 years. I thought a refresher course might help. Kane does a 1 day skill course and an IV certification class, its $500,don't know if this worth it. Anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

I would expect a hiring hospital to provide a skills lab and IV cert. course. At least that is what used to be provided to new professional staff. $500 is a lot of money. Are those the actual skills preventing you from getting hired? I'm asking because I don't know the answer for you, or myself...

Sharon RN in Glastonbury, Connecticut

23 months ago

I have not worked in a hospital for over 20 years, so no hospital will hire me. The homecare agency I use to work for now requires a refresher course if you have been out of hands on nursing for over 3 years. A RN refresher course at a local college is $1000 and you have to do a clinical! I thinking that if I get multiple different skills, it may be easier to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Mount Arlington, New Jersey

23 months ago

Sharon RN in Glastonbury, Connecticut said: I have not worked in a hospital for over 20 years, so no hospital will hire me. The homecare agency I use to work for now requires a refresher course if you have been out of hands on nursing for over 3 years. A RN refresher course at a local college is $1000 and you have to do a clinical! I thinking that if I get multiple different skills, it may be easier to get a job.

Have you not worked in nursing for 20 yrs or just in the hospital for 20 yrs? If just not in the hospital, you may consider an insurance company.
I didn't work for 11 yrs, raising my kids. Last year I took the Rutgers Nurse Refresher course, took the NCLEX again(I let my license lapse), passed on the first try!, got a divorce, and have had a few job offers. I only had one company tell me my skills were outdated, probably wouldn't have like to work there anyway. I landed a great job with a big insurance company reviewing claims. It is not bedside nursing, but at 50 yrs old I didn't want 12 hr shifts anyway. When going back into nursing you have to reinvent and sell yourself. Look at the things you have been doing for the past few years and market yourself. Change your resume to reflect the positive things that could be related to the job you are going for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jerseygirl7 in Westfield, New Jersey

23 months ago

I was told by a nurse recruiter at a hospital the refresher course used for its clinical experience that I would be on par with a new graduate! And it was more likely that the new graduate would be hired instead. I also questioned the course director for the refresher program about the % of those that took the course that had been hired and was told they don't follow up after the course is completed!
Until and unless there is another "real" nursing shortage, it seems unlikely that those of looking to get refreshed will be hired. Who would have thought it would come to this!

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

Before I was injured, I worked 7 months as a DON in a 99-bed SNF. I was THE clinical resource. Before that, I worked 10 years in hospital case management for the hospitalists. I think nurse managers consider the ten years in case management as "non-clinical." However, I believe I learned more about disease management as a CM than I ever did as a bedside nurse. I'm not sure why my BA in health administration and management experience is not valued...

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

joanRN in chicago, Illinois said: why not just stay in case management ? there seems to be more opportunities with that experience, at least here in chicago. if you refresh, you still may have difficulty finding a clinical job. too many nurses to choose from these days....

Ten years in hospital case management with over 7 years clinical and 3 years management before that. Can't get a case management or CM related job either...

Vicci Nolan

23 months ago

joanRN in chicago, Illinois said: 3 years out of nursing is not a long time. i wouldn't think you need a refresher course. besides hospitals have you tried home health ? home infusion companies? hospice ? sub-acute rehab? if you want to e-mail me privately i'm at joankiser@hotmail.com

Have applied at hospice, insurance company case management, sub-acute hospital and attorneys (I was certified in legal nursing in 2009) without success. I cannot do home nursing due to driving issues.

Before I was injured, I worked 7 months as a DON in a 99-bed SNF. I was THE clinical resource. Before that, I worked 10 years in hospital case management for the hospitalists. I think nurse managers consider the ten years in case management as "non-clinical." However, I believe I learned more about disease management as a CM than I ever did as a bedside nurse. I'm not sure why my BA in health administration and management experience is not valued...

Areyoukiddingme in Alachua, Florida

19 months ago

Bonnye in Schenectady, New York said: I heard that when the hospital in Virginia hires a nurse who has been out for a while, they include a refresher course as part of their orientation. You would commit to that hospital for one year, but your not paying out of pocket.
Why can't all hospitals do this, it would certainly cut down on the nursing shortage.

What hospital in Virginia has such an orientation? I would go there just to be given the chance to start again. Another kicker--RN to MSN. I can teach nursing with a MSN (I hope!) but I still wouldn't be hirable as a nurse. I sure wouldn't appreciate being taught by somebody who can't get a job. What a mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Morris County NJ St Clares Hospital has a few openings for people returning to bedside nursing. I have had a few offers for full time work in workman's comp insurance. Seems to be a growing area. It is a good option for many of us returning to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

jerseygirl7 in Westfield, New Jersey said: I was told by a nurse recruiter at a hospital the refresher course used for its clinical experience that I would be on par with a new graduate! And it was more likely that the new graduate would be hired instead. I also questioned the course director for the refresher program about the % of those that took the course that had been hired and was told they don't follow up after the course is completed!
Until and unless there is another "real" nursing shortage, it seems unlikely that those of looking to get refreshed will be hired. Who would have thought it would come to this!

Did you take the refresher course in Nj? I did and will not name names but felt the clinical experience was terrible. I knew going into it I did not want to go back to bedside nursing, so I just did what I needed to get by. As far as jobs, nursing homes seem to be hiring!

19 months ago

Here there is an over saturation of RN's in every field. Most job
openings have I am told 100 to 200 applicants of which many have BSN's and are qualified. I have been applying for the last 3 months sending out about 10 applications a week. I usually have 1 to 2 interviews per week but still no job. My references are excellent.
Maybe it is my age.

19 months ago

Here there is an over saturation of RN's in every field. Most job
openings have I am told 100 to 200 applicants of which many have BSN's and are qualified. I have been applying for the last 3 months sending out about 10 applications a week. I usually have 1 to 2 interviews per week but still no job. My references are excellent.
Maybe it is my age.

19 months ago

Oh I forgot to mention there is NO Nursing shortage. In fact the field is over saturated in many markets. People are still on 3 year wait lists for BSN programs. What a waste! I have a BSN. If I knew
then what I know now I would have studied something else like accounting or business.

19 months ago

I think that sounds good. Bedside nursing is going to come way down especially as hospitals face cuts and fines. Nurses are going to
be laid off. As patient hospital stays are decreased patients will
go home sooner to save Medicare dollars and the hospitals can make
due with less nurses. I heard it said Nursing is a pass through profession and now I believe it. I just do not know what else to
study or try to obtain a degree in. I have a BSN and have done this
for many years.

19 months ago

I would do RN to MSN. If Hospital Administrators and the legal teams
are too stupid to give you a job it is THIER loss. Everyone wants to
run Nursing but the Nurses have no voice. The Business people, the
Lawyers, the Finance people the Doctors and everyone else! No wonder
we are treated so poorly anymore. When I graduated from the University with a BSN it was a big deal. Everyone respected you and
everyone wanted you. No more.

viccimn

19 months ago

kathleen, in Phoenix, Arizona said: Here there is an over saturation of RN's in every field. Most job
Maybe it is my age.

What is your age, Kathleen. I'm just curious. I'm a young 58, but you'd think I was 100, by the responses I get.

Raquel in San Jose, California

19 months ago

Anyone interested in an RN Refresher Course, there is one in SoCal (Southern California) that will be starting on
October 8, 2013. Space is limited and deadline to enroll is September 23, 2013. Please email me if you are interested and serious! raqueltablang@yahoo.com I have been waiting for this opportunity for almost 2 years! Just do it....

19 months ago

I have entertained the thought of taking a refresher course, but from people I know who took it, it was a complete waste....especially here in the NY area. Nursing is completely saturated. I've been a nurse for 20 years. I was laid off in 2006 because of a low census in the new department at the hospital I was working at. I started applying for jobs EVERYWHERE. I went to a career fair, was granted an interview and the hospital called me at the last minute stating I was out of the hospital for too long. (Two years at that point). In the meantime there were HUNDREDS of Filipino nurses flooding the area and of course they were granted interviews on the spot. I don't hate saying this, but there is an over-dominance of Filipino nurses in this profession, especially in the NY area where 80% of the nurses are from foreign countries.
I've given up looking for a hospital position. I have 20 years of experience and regardless of taking a refresher course the hospitals want that BSN. Every hospital here in the Long Island, NY area wants a BSN. I NEVER thought I'd have a difficult time finding a job as a nurse. It's become a complete dysfunctional, toxic field and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm currently working administering flu vaccines which is very sporadic and will not last. I keep looking in the meantime. P.S. Started doing homecare/private duty when I got laid off. After five years of that I quit. I was even told by a recruiter "you're useless" UNBELIEVABLE and discouraging.

19 months ago

Even though I took the refresher course and retook my boards...passing on the first try, one person had the nerve to say I would never make it on the floors. She was very condisending during the interview. When she said I had "no skills", I told her the interview was over and walked out. (During the interview she had the nerve to start eating her lunch! Obviously no respect for any nurses, probably not even the ones she oversees!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

nancy in Mount Arlington, New Jersey said: Even though I took the refresher course and retook my boards...passing on the first try, one person had the nerve to say I would never make it on the floors. She was very condisending during the interview. When she said I had "no skills", I told her the interview was over and walked out. (During the interview she had the nerve to start eating her lunch! Obviously no respect for any nurses, probably not even the ones she oversees!

GOOD FOR YOU NANCY!! I've been on many interviews where there was obviously no respect whatsoever (personal calls, munching on food, etc.) I've never had the nerve to walk out. My Father has a saying that I will use in the future if, God forbid, this happens again. It's "sorry, YOU failed the interview"
Also, I just contacted a college here on LI about a refresher course and the woman said (after I told her I heard these courses are basically like Nursing 101) "well, I don't know who would say that." Then, after asking about the course she said it goes over electrolytes, labs, GI, GU, some cardiac. WOW!! Then I asked her what the clinicals entail and she said "nursing assessments, and your basic nursing skills"!!!!! I said "thank you" and hung up. I'm so disgusted.

19 months ago

P.S. The course costs $1950. I refuse to pay almost $2000 to a college when a hospital could take a week to reorient me at less than half the cost! But they won't because it's all about the almighty dollar!

Raquel in San Jose, California

19 months ago

This is $1200 which requires 6 days of clinicals (8 hr. shift) and 7 days of didactics plus one full day of orientation.

beemrdon in Winchester, Massachusetts

19 months ago

joanRN in chicago, Illinois said: oops! i meant NOW that's encouraging

Freudian slip...

19 months ago

viccimn said: What is your age, Kathleen. I'm just curious. I'm a young 58, but you'd think I was 100, by the responses I get.

I am a young 58 too. I am told I look about 40. Kathleen

JEN1034 in Scottsdale, Arizona

19 months ago

Wow. I thought it was just me not being able to get hired. After two years away from nursing, except for what I do as a Red Cross Nurse, I haven't had any call backs either, except Walmart.Lol. I got so desperate I started applying for other jobs outside of nursing. I got hired at Walmart and at 53 sounds like I should be grateful for that. I have actually thought about doing something else anyway. Wish I was closer to being able to retire. Actually thinking about getting certified as a phlebotomist instead of wasting my time trying to get a nursing job. I'll keep looking and applying, but at least after reading all these responses, I'll know not to expect any replies. This is really sad though, all this nursing talent going to waste.

viccimn

19 months ago

JEN1034 in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Wow. I thought it was just me not being able to get hired. After two years away from nursing, except for what I do as a Red Cross Nurse, I haven't had any call backs either, except Walmart.Lol. I got so desperate I started applying for other jobs outside of nursing. I got hired at Walmart and at 53 sounds like I should be grateful for that. I have actually thought about doing something else anyway. Wish I was closer to being able to retire. Actually thinking about getting certified as a phlebotomist instead of wasting my time trying to get a nursing job. I'll keep looking and applying, but at least after reading all these responses, I'll know not to expect any replies. This is really sad though, all this nursing talent going to waste.

What a heartbreaking story. This is my story, too. (Sans the job.)

viccimn

19 months ago

Raquel in San Jose, California said: Anyone interested in an RN Refresher Course, there is one in SoCal (Southern California) that will be starting on
October 8, 2013. Space is limited and deadline to enroll is September 23, 2013. Please email me if you are interested and serious! raqueltablang@yahoo.com I have been waiting for this opportunity for almost 2 years! Just do it....

I would love to know how this turns out for you. I've spent over $10,000 to get a CLNC and then another $600 to learn medical coding with no job results. I can't afford another dead end.

19 months ago

viccimn said: What a heartbreaking story. This is my story, too. (Sans the job.)

I couldn't believe that I actually got a call back from a nursing job appl. that I did over three weeks to almost a month ago. It's for a substance abuse recovery facility, which they are going to open up a detox unit. I'm actually ok with this, because I had been doing sub acute/long term care and I'm definitely done with that. It is only pool, but I really only wanted part time anyway, at least for awhile. Got the interview tomorrow, so keeping my fingers crossed that this works out. With cold and flu season and the holidays coming up, I'm sure there will be plenty of hours to pick up.

19 months ago

Hi Jen,
I do not have any answers but I have applied to about 150 to 200
positions with a BSN and an excellent record. Still I have not had any calls. I worked for Mollen 3 months each year and 2 registries about 3 days per month but even that is not guaranteed. I am 58 but cannot retire yet. I managed in my last position and I applied to management positions. No response. The only place left are the jails and I did it for about 2 weeks last January but it was very scary and I feel like I deserve better than that. I pray for myself. I hope you
find something soon. Mine is a sad story, I know.

19 months ago

kathleen in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi Jen,
I do not have any answers but I have applied to about 150 to 200
positions with a BSN and an excellent record. Still I have not had any calls. I worked for Mollen 3 months each year and 2 registries about 3 days per month but even that is not guaranteed. I am 58 but cannot retire yet. I managed in my last position and I applied to management positions. No response. The only place left are the jails and I did it for about 2 weeks last January but it was very scary and I feel like I deserve better than that. I pray for myself. I hope you
find something soon. Mine is a sad story, I know.

Like I said in a previous post, it is just terrible to know there are so many nurses out there, with so much experience and knowledge that no one is willing to take a chance on. I had pretty much given my soul to Walmart, but if this works out, I will back out of the Walmart job. Actually wouldn't mind going ahead and doing it, but I'm pretty sure the Walmart hours are going to be any time of the day or evening, so I can't do that and be available for a pool job.

19 months ago

Is the Walmart job in Management or like a clerk stocking or a cashier. If that is the job I would take the Per Diem RN job.
After being out of work, you may be able to do both. I would
try to. Seriously. You can do it. You are strong like me. Kathleen

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.