US educated foreign RN on F1 status

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

57 months ago

Mark in Arlington, Texas said: I have my current license as an RN - TEXAS ,
registered for compact states as well. I am currently on my OPT which will expire on Jan 2010, currently working as a Cardiac ICU nurse. I am still on an F1-status and might do the BSN program by spring of 2010 if I dont get the visa this year, then apply for another OPT for 1 year. That gives me a 3 year wait period for the visa while I am here in the US. Otherwise, I will go ahead for my Masters program.

Please let me know if you have any information on hospitals that will sponsor me. Thank you very much

Hi! I am a nursing student and will hopefully graduate on December 2010, and am also on an F1 visa. I am hoping you could me some regarding my situation. How early did you apply for OPT? When did you start looking/applying for jobs? Thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

allanerz in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

registered for compact states as well. I am currently on my OPT which will expire on Jan 2010, currently working as a Cardiac ICU nurse. I am still on an F1-status and might do the BSN program by spring of 2010 if I dont get the visa this year, then apply for another OPT for 1 year. That gives me a 3 year wait period for the visa while I am here in the US. Otherwise, I will go ahead for my Masters program.

Please let me know if you have any information on hospitals that will sponsor me. Thank you very much

Hi how is it going for you? by the way i just received my license last week, i am an f1 too. how did you convince your employer that you would be only working for 1 year by the way?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

51 months ago

When did you apply for OPT? When do you think is the most opportune time to submit my application?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

allanerz in Missouri City, Texas

51 months ago

Joy in Amarillo, Texas said: When did you apply for OPT? When do you think is the most opportune time to submit my application?

I think if you are 100% confident that you will pass your last semester, I suggest you apply OPT a month before you graduate. It will take 6-8 weeks to get your EAD. By then after you graduate, you will get an EAD already and you can start working for any healh related jobs. It will be idea that you will take your NCLEX a month after you graduate. Skip the parties and celebration, and just focus on studying. Once you have your RN license then you can start working as an RN. It will be ideal to have a hospital awaiting for you but if not, you can still find hospitals at the same time working as an RN. If you are unsure yet of the outcome of your studies, be sure to apply opt just weeks after you graduate, since the more you delay applying you will lose months to work and you only have 12 month to consume your opt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maeba in Arlington, Texas

50 months ago

I am also having my associate in dec, 2010.. So lost and confused.. Thank you allanerz for the feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

50 months ago

Thanks allanerz.

Also, would you know if there're hospitals that are sponsoring international students?

Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

xz2010

50 months ago

Hi, which hospital are you working in? Do they still hire OPT student? Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rose in Chantilly, Virginia

45 months ago

hi, iam currently in a nursing program and will be graduating dec 2011. iam on F1 visa status. But iam so concerned about my status after i graduate!!! when do I apply fpr OPT? what if i don't find a job? do u know any hospitals hiring OPT students?? The comments on this page were all my concern too but where do i find the answers for them? this is my first time on this website to hopefully i will get a response :) thanks a lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

45 months ago

Hi there! I graduated last december 2010 and passed the boards last tuesday, yay! and got a job the same day =) although it's just in home health and not in a big hospital (as they are really being picky with OPTs because they value employee longevity and would not like to invest in someone who's just going to stay for one year), i accepted the job offer. it's better than not having any job at all and losing my OPT status. i applied for OPT around october and received my EAD 2nd week of december with effectivity date beginning feb 2011.

good luck and i hope this helps. you will do good. just believe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rose in Chantilly, Virginia

45 months ago

Glad to know it all worked out for you!! yaaaay!!! i wishhh everyone was as lucky as you!. so did u apply for that job before taking the board? my concern is finding a hospital/ company who would be willing to fill for my I40 i guess thats what it is called, when a company applies for your green card or atleast files in papers that you can legally stay in the US. cause with OPT you can only work for 12 months right? we need something that is more dependable
Good luck with whatever you do. And thanks for the reply back, it sure gave me hope :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

45 months ago

most companies/hospitals aren't willing to sponsor any RN as of the moment due to non-issuance of visas for nurses from the government because of the retrogression. the hospitals sponsor the RN/employees but as long as there are no available visas due to retrogression, you cannot stay in the US and continue working based solely on the hospital's petition/sponsorship. should the government lift the retrogression, then and only then can we see a glimmer of hope. even if the hospitals file a petition on your behalf, without the visas, you have to exit the US or risk being an illegal alien. best of luck to you too

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

45 months ago

most companies/hospitals aren't willing to sponsor any RN as of the moment due to non-issuance of visas for nurses from the government because of the retrogression. the hospitals sponsor the RN/employees but as long as there are no available visas due to retrogression, you cannot stay in the US and continue working based solely on the hospital's petition/sponsorship. should the government lift the retrogression, then and only then can we see a glimmer of hope. even if the hospitals file a petition on your behalf, without the visas, you have to exit the US or risk being an illegal alien. best of luck to you too

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

45 months ago

addendum: hospitals may agree to sponsor you but you still have to wait for the retrogression to be lifted. otherwise, the petition itself won't let you stay and work in the US.

Joy in Amarillo, Texas

45 months ago

addendum: hospitals may agree to sponsor you but you still have to wait for the retrogression to be lifted. otherwise, the petition itself won't let you stay and work in the US.

ARTHURGL1234 in Waterford, Michigan

45 months ago

Joy in Amarillo, Texas said: Hi! I am a nursing student and will hopefully graduate on December 2010, and am also on an F1 visa. I am hoping you could me some regarding my situation. How early did you apply for OPT? When did you start looking/applying for jobs? Thank you very much.
what is OPT CAN U PPLEASE EXPLAINS FURTHER ABOUT IT AND HOW ONE CAN OBTAIN ONE THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jumamosi in Abilene, Texas

44 months ago

ARTHURGL1234 in Waterford, Michigan said: what is OPT CAN U PPLEASE EXPLAINS FURTHER ABOUT IT AND HOW ONE CAN OBTAIN ONE THANKS

optional training programme. working in your field of study for one year after you graduate.

rashmibhyan in Binghamton, New York

38 months ago

My situation is worse. My F1 has not been approved yet and I will graduate in May, 2012. I am doing an one year BSN. I am so worried about my job prospects. Right now I am on H4 visa.

sushmapenugula in Laie, Hawaii

29 months ago

i completed 3 years nursing after fininshed my 12 th standard wd one year experience,i wanted to go to forther study in usa,give me advise which one is better for me ,is there any possible for job?

fornix in Minneapolis, Minnesota

7 months ago

Hi guys,

I am looking to enroll for Master's in Nursing (Entry level program). I have a bachelors in non-nursing field and this degree would allow me to get RN status and apply for licensure at the end of the program. Before I enroll, I had a concern about the clinical phase of these programs. I would be on F1 visa and I do not have a SSN.
During clinical phase I think they need to run a background check, how does that work for F1 international students without SSN ? Please help me understand the process

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.