prison nurse interview questions

Comments (51 to 92 of 92)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

desertman in Phoenix, Arizona

56 months ago

Sad

56 months ago

It's a 'catch 22' the young grads can't get jobs because of lack of experience and the older nurses, who've worked hard all their lives and given to the company are fired when they become too expensive. So, nursing yeah it's a questionable 'profession'. Not one that I'd recommend any typically 'idealistic' young person to enter. Instead I'd say let the corporations rot. A nurse is by definition one that gives of themselves, the trouble is that corporations are only too happy to take and take and bleed you dry and then throw you on the scrap heap.
I've been there and done that and worn the T-Shirt!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but years ago NA's started to do the work of LPNs and RN's the work of junior doctors. Now they're asking for BSN's to do the work a RN used to do. In another 10 years are we looking at MSN's to replace BSN's?
Meanwhile, who are the foolish? Yeah, it's us the nurses, ever suffering, since that's our plight isn't it? You know, since shove us in any direction and we're okay with that, is pretty much the way corporations treat us.
Nurses are of course by nature prone to being manipulated. It starts with that idealistic notion to do good for others and before you know it we've signed up to some college somewhere that brain washes us into the final state of readiness to be manipulated by our employers.
Eventually you'll realise that no-one including your employer could care less whether you have a BSN or not. All they want to know is whether you're going to submit to their will and do what's asked of you. Eventually you will feel your idealism slipping away as realism sets in. Unfortunately your teachers in college sold you a line. Of course it was their job to do so, just like your corporate induction will sell you the corporate philosophy and dress up the company image. Soon after, the realisation of the daily practicality of the job will hit you.
So although I have digressed somewhat, I say forget nursing, it's for suckers.

NAT in Palm Desert, California

56 months ago

Unfortuantely you are right. They laid off three long term nurses in our department and hired new grads with BSN. Its still a good profession...just need to stay away from the corporate if all possible.

Im a new grad who cant get hired in my department. I can continue to slave as a tech and prove myself????

56 months ago

NAT in Palm Desert, California said: Unfortuantely you are right. They laid off three long term nurses in our department and hired new grads with BSN. Its still a good profession...just need to stay away from the corporate if all possible.

Im a new grad who cant get hired in my department. I can continue to slave as a tech and prove myself????

Well Nat, unfortunately corporations run nursing as a business and 'young fresh grads with viable minds', which is one quote I can give you from a middle manager, is just what corporations want. Plus young grads, BSN or not, are cheaper than older nurses that have been working for the company for a few years and reached the top of their pay scale. Experience is secondary and loyalty - a long forgotten concept and no longer legitimately encouraged.

It is a sad endictment for our so-called 'profession'. After all, I guess we are allowed to provide services to people so long as they or their insurance will cover it. There is an unethical point then when we have to withdraw our services, or reduce them, on the basis of whether or not the patient or insurance can pay. Nursing is therefore a business controlled by corporations. The same business hires or fires people and decides how ethical care can be. Of course insurance companies are central to whether or not care can be given to individuals and are responsible for driving much of the goals in health care corporations.

But referring to your question: You work in your department, I assume you've been there for some time and you've seen 3 new grads hired and 3 old grads fired and you can't get hired there. I guess the most obvious question for me is why would you want to work somewhere that plainly has little regard for the well-being of it's employees? And consider, have you been 'over-looked'? Have they seen that you are hard working and do a good job and perhaps it is convenient and cost-effective for them to allow you to continue to do your job?

Nat in Palm Desert, California

56 months ago

Desert man, you hit it right on the nail...I'm convenient and good at what I am doing...so they keep an RN at a tech rate.. one with more knowledge..can't beat that!..

So I always have plan A, B, C.. got back from my interview at a nearby prison..We will see...Ones got to look after themselves:)

56 months ago

Nat in Palm Desert, California said: Desert man, you hit it right on the nail...I'm convenient and good at what I am doing...so they keep an RN at a tech rate.. one with more knowledge..can't beat that!..

So I always have plan A, B, C.. got back from my interview at a nearby prison..We will see...Ones got to look after themselves:)

Well done, unfortunately we can't afford to just sit back and be complacent. I hope it went well for you? Good luck - smart move.

Cindy in Post Falls, Idaho

55 months ago

angie h in Boone, North Carolina said: I am an RN who works on a med-surg floor. I am applying for a position of prision nurse. Can anyone help on what types of interview questions are asked. Thanks

Never turn your back on the, have an exit that they cannot block. Even if they are nice to you remember they are looking for a way to manipulate you. Do not joke and become friendly with any of them. I have worked in psychiatric acute for 18 year and no thanks to the prison system or a state hospital. A newspaper article a couple years ago told of a nurse who with the prison guard and patient who was grabbed and a pencil was held to her eye threatening to blind her if he did not get what he wanted, more drama than I want in my life. I have know other nurses over the years who have worked in them and said it wasn't a bad job and paid well, but what was so obvious was they were not in it anymore, they came back to acute psych hospital.

nat in Indio, California

55 months ago

I just got called from a state Prison in California notifying me that I was being offered a full-time position as RN (New Grad). I was surely happy!

Helpful hints.

When in interview make copies of recommendations/past job performance and hand them to the panel.

1. BE CONFIDENT.

2. DONT SHOW WEAKNESS

3. WHEN READING THE QUESTIONS USE YOUR CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS. THINK BEFORE YOU ANSWER.

4. YOU MAY NOT GET ALL THE QUESTIONS RIGHT BUT JUST DO YOUR BEST. WHEN I WAS ASKED ABOUT TB MEDS I remembered 1 TB drug name and told them the other one started with an "I"! So I added the the answer and talked about droplet precautions, etc. Do your best..

nurses call the shotz in Newark, Ohio

55 months ago

Anonymous in Dublin, Ohio said: Why would anyone want to be a nurse in a jail? Why would you want to help people who didn't want to help themselves, and put others in danger (probably) in order to get there? Not only that, but you're setting yourself up for rape!! Please, join the army corp or whatever it is instead! You get paid more, they help pay for additional schooling and with student loans, and the danger you put yourself in is worthwhile cause you're doing it for your country!

I just had to comment! It takes all kinds in this profession and in this world . We need to value everyone and thank God for the people who help those in prisons and psych wards it is a hard job. And of course the noble and brave men and women who serve our country!

nat in Indio, California

55 months ago

I agree. We should value everyone and all nurses who "especially" risk their lives to help those in a prison/psych/army facility. I just got hired to work the Emergency Section at a Prison. I am sceptical at the same time ready for the challenge. I have heard good and bad.. I will see soon and post my experience.

It was stated "as far as wanting to help people who do not help themselves" can work in any other setting out there involving patient care. Who are we to judge who deserves to be treated or cared for until we have walked the shoes of that person.

nat in Indio, California

55 months ago

I agree. We should value everyone and all nurses who "especially" risk their lives to help those in a prison/psych/army facility. I just got hired to work the Emergency Section at a Prison. I am sceptical at the same time ready for the challenge. I have heard good and bad.. I will see soon and post my experience.

It was stated "as far as wanting to help people who do not help themselves" can work in any other setting out there involving patient care. Who are we to judge who deserves to be treated or cared for until we have walked the shoes of that person.

Esther Morales in Lakeland, Florida

53 months ago

I am an RN. I am very interested in working in a jail but unfortunately am not sure how to go about it. Can someone please help me.

D in Palm Desert, California

52 months ago

I am a new graduate RN. I would really like to work in a California prison. I have applied to three prisons in California. Two of the prisons are in an isolated area. Do I have a chance at this time to obtain a position at a prison as a new graduate RN?

Thank you

dakusdakus in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

I scheduled for interview at a correctional facility here in CA. Does anybody have a tip about the questions they ussually ask the nurse practitioners

schristian584 in De Pere, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Leah in Middleton, Wisconsin said: I have some quesitons for you if you can help. I live in WI. I am going to be taking a diploma 10-12 month nursing program here.. because of financial reasons.. is why I am not opting for RN first. Also here in WI. Its an old fashioned behind the times state.. and LPNS are still welcome.. encouraged and most hireable.. in hospitals and doctors office a lot.. not just nursing homes. I took a CNA course in 2008.. I never went for the board.. ( I think) and this is my question.. all I need to do is prove I took and passed the course. I don't think.. they mandate you take the boards. That being said.. would a 2008 Certificate be okay? I have my CPR/First Aide Card active.

Also... For RN... Can you reccomend any books to study from.. I never had algebra a day in my life. I know.. now adays they start the kids in Grammar School which is the level I will need then high school.. then College Algebra.. in order to catch on to it. How did you learn it? I will have to take High school bio and chemistry with labs and ALgebra..to get into an RN program. Is it only Algebra 1? Also.. I am planning on obtaining a BSN. Would you suggest then sticking to working as an LPN with less stress.. all the way to completion to BSN? My friend is an RN and said its way.. more intense and stressful then Lpn and more responsibilities. I want to concentrate on my studies. I know the LPNs in home care and the hospitals here pay 17.00 and hour.. I should be able to live on this until I am completed to BSN.

One last question: What will be the difference of jobs I can do.. once my BSN is completed?

Thank You.. My email is leahchap@att.net

I just finished the PN program in GB...it's hard to find a job as a PN even in nursing homes...You don't need to be certified as a nursing assistant to get your diploma (at least at my school we don't) But I would suggest you work as a CNA for a while.

NewGradMurse(MaleNurse) in Pittsburg, California

48 months ago

What is the situation with male RN's in correctional facilities? I have many close family members in corrections and law enforcement so the realm is not new to me. I cannot land a grad nurse position anywhere in California and I graduated a year ago near the top of my class. Corrections seems a logical choice, but all I hear are women in the field. Is there a place for men in prison nursing?

mkarena in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

erica in Mansfield, Ohio said: i have an interview at a prison. i am a new grad. this is a good job with good benefits. i am not afraid to be around inmates. what are some questions they will ask me in an interveiw

How was the interview questions?. I have a interview tomorrow and am a new grad which works against me everytime. What advice can u give me?

NAT in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

NewGradMurse(MaleNurse) in Pittsburg, California said: What is the situation with male RN's in correctional facilities? I have many close family members in corrections and law enforcement so the realm is not new to me. I cannot land a grad nurse position anywhere in California and I graduated a year ago near the top of my class. Corrections seems a logical choice, but all I hear are women in the field. Is there a place for men in prison nursing?

Yes,

There are a few male nurses working in the prison systems.. It is a plus....

Michele Hartzell, RN in Union, Missouri

47 months ago

Most definitely, there is a need for male nurses in corrections! I worked with a wonderful male nurse at MECC in Pacific, Mo! Best wishes in your endeavors.

sleepless in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

47 months ago

'Swimming with sharks' Who is the author?

Desert Man in Phoenix, Arizona said: I have worked as a RN for the past 26 years in a variety of different areas. I have read the comments in this blog and would empathize with so many of them. In response to some of these comments: Nursing is a stressful job, both physically and mentally. Co-workers and managers play an integral part in how stressful the job can be. There will always be the insecure co-workers and middle managers that suck up to higher management and brow beat their subordinates. There will always be the competitive element in nursing that leads some nurses to stab other nurses in the back, often for contrived or ill perceived notions. These people sometimes make careers out of trashing everyone else around them to make themselves look good. Unfortunately, we work in an occupation that has many fickle and insecure people.
'Swimming with sharks' might be a good book to read, if you're looking for some advice on how to cope with such people.
Now to my point:
Most of us that came into the job, brought with us the aspiration to help people and to make a difference.
People in institutional care are more vulnerable than we can imagine. They have had their identities stripped away - although getting a litle dated, see Irving Goffman's landmark study - 'Asylums'. This doesn't make them angels, but they have reached a level of degradation that has impacted so heavily on their lives that they often have identity crises, personality changes and depression.
Any new nurse, contemplating working in prisons, should bear this in mind. Compassion, whilst maintaining a 'professional' relationship with the inmate, are the key ingredients, never to be forgotten.

Bob in Lafayette, California

47 months ago

Julia, RN. BSN in Boring, Oregon said: I cant respond on all queries, but I will respond to the I can. Although some snub their noses @ a diploma program--it is the best way to learn the mechanics of nursing.
Whatever you do--do not underestimate the serious nature that acquiring a BSN is.

My BSN program included a course in the history of nursing which required a research paper as a substantial portion of the grade. I discussed the historical origins of the various pathways to a nursing degree: 2-year ADN's, 3-year diploma programs, and the 4-year BSN. My conclusion was that "nursing is a big tent" and should include all types of degree preps because "one size certainly does not fit all."

Diversity in nursing education is essential for diversity in the nursing workforce.

If you require the BSN as the point of entry, then you will only get students who can access and afford a BSN program. This could exclude certain urban and rural populations and might tend to "whitewash" the nursing community. I would not want to see this happen, and patients also wouldn't want this.

Bob in Lafayette, California

47 months ago

mkarena in Los Angeles, California said: How was the interview questions?. I have a interview tomorrow and am a new grad which works against me everytime. What advice can u give me?

Hope I catch you before you leave!

Be flexible.
Do exactly what they tell you (dress code, directions, etc).
My recent interview at California corrections was very short and direct.
(One cannot reveal the questions asked or risk being disqualified.)
But there weren't very many.

Speak clearly, write clearly, look 'em in the eye and SMILE.

Hope this helps!

christinacub in Annapolis, Maryland

47 months ago

Hi all, I have an interview as nurse postion at jail. Wondering what to wear. Any advice about the interview? Nervous about this whole thing...nervous but non fearful if that makes sense. Thanks in advance

47 months ago

angie h in Boone, North Carolina said: I am an RN who works on a med-surg floor. I am applying for a position of prision nurse. Can anyone help on what types of interview questions are asked. Thanks

Hi angie,

How did this go?

47 months ago

Dress Code: Business - nothing frilly or that would draw attention to yourself. No flashy jewelry, closed in shoes - no toes showing - rules and regs.

47 months ago

christinacub in Annapolis, Maryland said: Hi all, I have an interview as nurse postion at jail. Wondering what to wear. Any advice about the interview? Nervous about this whole thing...nervous but non fearful if that makes sense. Thanks in advance

NEVER show fear no matter what! Dress code: Business, nothing frilly or that would draw attantion to yourself. No flashy jewelry. Closed in shoes - NO toes showing - rules and regs. Be totally honest when answering all interview questions, polite and send a thank you note to interviewer(s) - always goes over well. Good luck!

47 months ago

Michelle, thanks for the info. I didn't even think about wearing non opened shoes.

This is new territory for me. I usually wear makeup, dress nice. I'm 5ft 3, blonde, 125lbs and athletic. I feel like all of that is going against me in this situation. My Dad worked as vocational rehab in a women's prison and he really discouraged me from going. I've been told I sort of look like and sound like the blonde girl in CSI Miami. I don't really look the part. Maybe no makeup? Hair up? Glasses lol. I'd really like to be taken seriously

47 months ago

christinacub in Annapolis, Maryland said: Michelle, thanks for the info. I didn't even think about wearing non opened shoes.

This is new territory for me. I usually wear makeup, dress nice. I'm 5ft 3, blonde, 125lbs and athletic. I feel like all of that is going against me in this situation. My Dad worked as vocational rehab in a women's prison and he really discouraged me from going. I've been told I sort of look like and sound like the blonde girl in CSI Miami. I don't really look the part. Maybe no makeup? Hair up? Glasses lol. I'd really like to be taken seriously

Everyone tried to steer me away from Corrections, but it is the one job I enjoyed most! (Correctional Medical Services and Mental Health Management (in Missouri). Offenders will attempt to befriend you, but never let your guard down. It is not worth it!

Diana in Jackson, Ohio

46 months ago

nicola martin in Nottingham, United Kingdom said: Ihave got a job interview for a healthcare assisstant in a prison could anyone help on what type of questions they would ask.
I have worked in Ohio prisons for 20 years in the mental health area and it is not the inmates that I am afraid of but the staff. It is very difficult to work there because of the people who supervisor you. You have Deputy Wardens whom have no concept of nursing and are usually uneducated. They are placed in positionos over medical, mental health, and education but they don't have the knowledge and experience of supervising people more educated than they are. You constantly have to fight with them because of the protection of your licensure. Also inmates will hurt you so always cover your back. I have been lucky and have never had a problem. It also seems that nurses constantly get wrapped up in relationships as well. Just stay professional, hold your head up, and don't get caught up because inmates are very manipulative. Be firm, consistent, and fair. Treat them all the same. One of the questions I always ask in interviews is what would you do if an inmate would try to give you something or make a uncomfortable remark to you. You would notify your immediate supervisor and write a incident report. That is the correct answer. Be careful and please take my advice. Also the divorce rate is high because the nursing staff makes quite a bit of money and the officers will hit on you because of that reason. At my institution they say nurses are prize bucks because of their pay. Don't let them verbally abuse you and keep your private life out of the institution. Inmates listen and they know all that is going on just be careful. I hope this helps you. I love my job its just all the other stuff and head games that make your life difficult.

SomeGirl28 in Dover, Delaware

45 months ago

ok, so i have an interview at a level 5 correctional institution for the position of a correctional counselor. what to expect from the interview, prison and job itself?? Never been to prison before...

RN in Hollywood, Florida

44 months ago

nat in Indio, California said: I just got called from a state Prison in California notifying me that I was being offered a full-time position as RN (New Grad). I was surely happy!

Helpful hints.

When in interview make copies of recommendations/past job performance and hand them to the panel.

1. BE CONFIDENT.

2. DONT SHOW WEAKNESS

3. WHEN READING THE QUESTIONS USE YOUR CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS. THINK BEFORE YOU ANSWER.

4. YOU MAY NOT GET ALL THE QUESTIONS RIGHT BUT JUST DO YOUR BEST. WHEN I WAS ASKED ABOUT TB MEDS I remembered 1 TB drug name and told them the other one started with an "I"! So I added the the answer and talked about droplet precautions, etc. Do your best..

No offense, just to clarify, TB is not a droplet prec, it is an airbone prec.

Future Prison Nurse in Columbia, Missouri

44 months ago

Prison Nurse too in Florence, Alabama said: Another issue I have with the comments made in this blog is...I took an oath to aide my fellow man...You do not choose who you help in the emergency room...He's a child molester;I'll let him die. She's a non-christian;I'll let him die or better yet...I dont like the color of their skin...! If you cannot reason with yourself as a nurse that ALL people, even the worst among us, deserve care...medical, spiritual and emotional then you need to reexamine why you continue to be a Nurse! Jesus tended to the lepers, Paul to the prisoners...What makes us so special that we get to choose??? I am not without sin...there is a fine line from where I am to where the Inmates stand...one wrong decision is all it took in most instances.

Its ok if this is not for you but while u look at the psych pts and those in the Emergency room...do you know if they have molested anyone? Are they rapists? You dont know and you cannot refuse tx. You swore it. Have you been nursing so long you've forgotten?

I make more money than any nurse I know except for a travel nurse...I just get to be there for my son while they spend their nites in hotels! I do not judge...I treat, I follow the path inspired by Jesus.

I am less likely to be raped in Prison than in the parking lot of the hospital (it happened here). I am always escorted, never alone, I am behind locked doors. I am even escorted to my car. Look over your shoulder when you walk to your car...I dont have to.

Pls dont judge what your experience does not cover. You would be surprised at what you might find!

Prison Nurse Too!

Thank you so much for this response to why you choose to work as a prison nurse. I'm aggravated that some people have such closed minds and do not think outside the box. Not every single PERSON in prison is a bad person, they have made bad choices. Yes, there are some bad people, but they are still PEOPLE!

Future Prison Nurse in Columbia, Missouri

44 months ago

Also, I have a brother in prison for making a mistake. He is not a bad person at all. Yes, he hurt somebody, but there's more to it than that. He was protecting a friend from being potentially killed. Otherwise, he has the biggest heart and more love to give than anyone I know. HE DESERVES care! So do all the other people in the prison system. I hate child molesters. I hate rapists. But I would provide care for them equally because it's the right thing to do. As Prison Nurse Too said, who are we to judge who is allowed care? I am a victim of rape and child molestation. But I am a good person and I will fulfill my duties 100% as an RN in a prison. I will not judge and play God.

Kris in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

For anyone who is deciding whether they would like to be a nurse in the psychiatric field, I found a great article that is very informative. A psychiatric nurse must desire to move beyond the tasks to listen – really listen – to another’s inner pain and turmoil. One must be upfront, honest, and truly genuine in their approach. Here is the article: www.jacksonvilleu.com/nursing-degree-resources/psychiatric-nurse-info/

sasrn in Galesburg, Michigan

41 months ago

Prison Nurse too in Florence, Alabama said: Another issue I have with the comments made in this blog is...I took an oath to aide my fellow man...You do not choose who you help in the emergency room...He's a child molester;I'll let him die. She's a non-christian;I'll let him die or better yet...I dont like the color of their skin...! If you cannot reason with yourself as a nurse that ALL people, even the worst among us, deserve care...medical, spiritual and emotional then you need to reexamine why you continue to be a Nurse! Jesus tended to the lepers, Paul to the prisoners...What makes us so special that we get to choose??? I am not without sin...there is a fine line from where I am to where the Inmates stand...one wrong decision is all it took in most instances.

Its ok if this is not for you but while u look at the psych pts and those in the Emergency room...do you know if they have molested anyone? Are they rapists? You dont know and you cannot refuse tx. You swore it. Have you been nursing so long you've forgotten?

I make more money than any nurse I know except for a travel nurse...I just get to be there for my son while they spend their nites in hotels! I do not judge...I treat, I follow the path inspired by Jesus.

I am less likely to be raped in Prison than in the parking lot of the hospital (it happened here). I am always escorted, never alone, I am behind locked doors. I am even escorted to my car. Look over your shoulder when you walk to your car...I dont have to.

Pls dont judge what your experience does not cover. You would be surprised at what you might find!

Prison Nurse Too!

Amen and God Bless You for speaking up. I have worked in prisons and jails also, and to me the employees as well as some officers treated me worse than any of the prisoners did. Some places don't like travel nurses, they think you get paid more and do the same job as them. Just do your job. A nurse is a nurse no matter what type of environment.

e.e. in Fresno, California

40 months ago

How did you interview go? I know its been awhile since posting. Thinking about applying for RN Prison job. How was your oral interview. Was it scary.

Future Prison employee in Aberdeen, Washington

39 months ago

I have been in Nursing for 30+ years with a multitude of nursing experience. My interview was very relaxing, as I felt very comfortable during each step of the interview process.

Questions: Same as above with the suicide pt and plan of action.
Who was the best and worst boss you have every had and why?
What is the worse thing you have ever done in nursing and how did you handle it?
Why did you choose to apply here?
If an inmate was out of line what would you do?
Describe your nursing background as it would compliment the duties of a correctional nurse.
EMR/HIT is not in place yet?
What are some of the nursing skills that are helpful in dealing with a manipulative inmate's behavior? firm, fair, consistence.
Safety is the key message when dealing with inmates, safety first to staff, then EMS.
Call guard now "Safety Officer"

Future Prison employee in Aberdeen, Washington

39 months ago

I have been in Nursing for 30+ years with a multitude of nursing experience. My interview was very relaxing, as I felt very comfortable during each step of the interview process.

Questions: Same as above with the suicide pt and plan of action.
Who was the best and worst boss you have every had and why?
What is the worse thing you have ever done in nursing and how did you handle it?
Why did you choose to apply here?
If an inmate was out of line what would you do?
Describe your nursing background as it would compliment the duties of a correctional nurse.
EMR/HIT is not in place yet?
What are some of the nursing skills that are helpful in dealing with a manipulative inmate's behavior? firm, fair, consistence.
Safety is the key message when dealing with inmates, safety first to staff, then EMS.
Call guard now "Safety Officer"

dseaman1106@att.com in Mobile, Alabama

27 months ago

Nursing is not for everyone. You must be entering the career because you really care about people, not just for money or you will not be happy. Nursing is hard work, you earn your pay and it's not for the lazy man/women.

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Prison Nurse too in Florence, Alabama,

Thanks for your information. I don't think I would be eligible for the pell grant because I already have a degree. After the first bachelor's degree, they won't give a pell grant. Yes, you are right about having to be totally focused on nursing school, and that is one of the reasons why I'm not sure I want to do it again. I was in nursing school a long time ago, and I dropped it for that very reason and went on to get my degree in something else. Also, I attended Hinds Community college 's RN program and I hated it! I wouldn't suggest anyone to go to Hinds, they are horrible. I like to have a social life and date, and I'm ready to get married. So I wouldn't think that nursing would lend time for that. LOL Even though I have a lot of free time with the job I have now, nursing is still very time consuming. It takes up all of your free time. I'm glad that you enjoy what you do, because so many nurses hate their profession. I wish you well in all of your endeavors and thanks for your advice.

Jan in Redondo Beach, California

19 months ago

Hi ,
Do you know if they ask similar questions in an RN oral exam for a state hospital ? I think you had your exam about 3.5 years ago . Did you have to write your responses to the questions ? Did they question you about your own specific experience ie. situations you handled ? I have an oral exam tommorrow , really want the position . I have the experience , but don't do good in interviews . Well can you let me know if they ask similar questions -or have any pointers to give that would help - thank you .

Jan M RN

charlotte09 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I had an interview for a state facility for MH/MR. 3 people sat at the end of a big table with tablets and pens and coffee cups. I sat at the other end. They immediately started asking me 5 questions that were listed on a piece of paper placed in front of me. From what I can remember the questions went like this:

Describe a physical assessment.
Something about delegation.
What makes you feel competent to perform this job.
Why do you feel that you would be a good candidate for this position?
Do you have any questions regarding this position?
Knowing what you do about the facility are you still interested in the position?

Hope this helps, I still don't know how I did because they said I wouldn't hear back for 6-8 weeks.

RN in Port Orchard,WA.... in Renton, Washington

28 days ago

Prison Nurse too in Florence, Alabama said: Why wud I work for the prison system? As an LPN I worked for Nursing Homes and watched AWFUL abuse (yes, I reported it to the sate...they retaliated)...I was paid $17.85/ hr for 84hrs a pay period. I went back to school and got my BACHELOR's degree and RN...graduated top 5 in my class and am in the Nursing Honor Society. I was hired at a Hospital for $17.85/hr for 72hrs per pay period. I WAS MAKING LESS MONEY WITH AN RN BACHELOR's DEGREE! I got a PRN Prison Job...$30/hr PLUS $2/h for evenings, $4/hr for nights and an ADDED $2/hr for weekends. A saturday shift paid $34/hr PLUS OT.

I continued to work at the hospital. Got Employee of the month for 2 months after having worked there for 10months...The nurses left DAGGERS in my back...I was written up 6 times in the 3 weeks following the award. I was terminated based on a he-said-she-said thing...I lost (all the others were minor things that someone SAID I did but I wasnt allowed to defend myself). The day before they fored me was when I was told be the pt. rep that I had received the 2nd honor and that my pts raved over how good I had treated them! Go figure?! I even tried to tell my boss that the nurses had been talking about me and that that the emp of the month had caused the charge nurse to STOP SPEAKING TO ME! I was Told...that couldnt possibly be true!

So what I am trying to say is...if you think for even a second that nurses at hospitals are better nurses think again. What kind of people do that to coworkers?! That's a club I'd rather NOT belong to.

to be continued...

Which company did you work for with the jail?

RN in Port Orchard,WA.... in Renton, Washington

28 days ago

CCS..not the best for medical on jails, what companies provide medical for the prisons?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.