Best or REALLY good Nursing schools in GA or online?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia

32 months ago

jen_atl in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi, I have been laid off twice in three years, recently I've decided to switch careers and get into the healthcare industry. I started off by taking a CNA course and becoming certified and now I'm interested in becoming a Registered Nurse. There is a lot of information online and a lot of schools, but I'm in Atlanta, GA and wanted to find out through individuals personal experience which schools are the best? Also are there any good/ affordable online Registered Nurse colleges. I'm looking for honest real feedback.

Jen_atl in Atlanta,

Your decision to change careers is of course a sign of the times and a result of an unstable economy. However, the economy’s uncertainty is your gain; the healthcare industry is a very good industry although we have our economic problems as well.

I shared your posting with my mother-in-law who is Chief Executive Nurse for Henry Ford Medical Ctr in W. Bloomfield, MI. She is also an associate professor w/the University of Detroit Mercy’s School of Nursing.

Her advice, to you, is to not pursue a nursing degree on line, but that you look at one of the nationally/regionally ranked nursing programs in the Atlanta area. Kennesaw State and Clayton State universities both offer very good regionally renowned bachelor of nursing (BSN) programs.

Although Georgia State University is a regionally ranked university its nursing program is nationally ranked #79 and it offers a nursing degree at the bachelor, master, & doctoral level.

Emory and Mercer universities both have nationally ranked nursing programs. Emory is currently ranked #21 in the nation, along with NYU.

part 1 of 2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jen_atl in Atlanta, Georgia

32 months ago

Thanks!! I really appreciate your feedback! I do have college credits and I am looking to pursue a BSN and Clayton State University was my first choice because of their program and I've been there before. This helps me out a lot! U should think about being a healthcare Recruiter ;o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia

32 months ago

jen_atl in Atlanta, Georgia said: Thanks!! I really appreciate your feedback! I do have college credits and I am looking to pursue a BSN and Clayton State University was my first choice because of their program and I've been there before. This helps me out a lot! U should think about being a healthcare Recruiter ;o)

Jen_atl in Atlanta,

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion, but I love surgery and treating patients :-). Especially my elderly ones, helping most of them regain their range of motion/mobility is truly rewarding.

Plus I hoping to do another surgical residency/fellow at John Hopkins University really soon, good luck and best wishes.

M
DHSc, PA-C

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Buffalo, New York

25 months ago

Please get some experience in health care before you jump into nursing. I know a bunch of nurses who got laid off a few months ago. I know many new grads who CAN'T find jobs. Pay and benefits are decreasing and responsibility is increasing. I have years of health care experience and COULD NOT get hired after RN school. I now work a PT job because that's the best I could do.

So many people think nursing is the answer to their job/money problems so everyone and their mother went to nursing school. There are too many nurses. The nursing shortage is a LIE. Check out www.allnurses.com if you don't believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.