No Nursing Shortage!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 254)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

New grad that got a job. in New York, New York

43 months ago

NURSE in Jackson Heights, New York said: Yes you are wrong. Learn to read. My name also clearly states that I am a nurse. It's not "bitching", it's called being realistic. Sorry, but unlike you, I refuse to lie to others about the field. I don't think I need to back myself up, plenty of other nurses are responding and stating the same things in their posts. Learn to reply professionally. "Bitching"...yeah, that's a real classy word and shows me what a professional you are. Again, I have a hard time believing that you, with an ADN, have landed a position here in NYC. It also doesn't make sense that you're coming on here and telling everyone to look outside of NYC and other metro areas. Hidden agenda much? There is a shortage of available nursing positions EVERYWHERE. Stop misleading people.

Hi. I am not trying to mislead anybody. You are right that there are a shortage of job positions BUT it depends on where you are looking. I am still in NYC and I can gladly show you my job offer letter and also from those hospitals where I declined their offer of employment.

Your name says you are a nurse, but how do I know you are a nurse. If I said that my name is NASA astronaut, you will believe that I am an astronaut? Your previous posts says that you are working in finance and I thought you are in finance but going to school to be a nurse. That is why when i said bitching, I meant that a person still in school shouldn't complain yet. You are in fact misleading people by saying there are a shortage of jobs "EVERYWHERE". Where are you looking? You are right that as a new grad, our chances are a lot harder but there are jobs out there if you look.

I'm not preaching false hopes or anything. I am trying to be positive that we nurses CAN find jobs...it's just that we have to look further from our ideal area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DenimBlue in U.S.A., District of Columbia

43 months ago

-New grad that got a job- So exactly where (city) did you land a job? And I'm sorry,but I don't believe you turned down offers in NYC. I actually don't even believe you were made any. NYC is ridiculously competitive and with BSN grads coming out of NYU, Stonybrook, Columbia University, etc.--your ADN is almost worthless. I don't mean that in the literal sense. I mean that it is SO competitive, employers can be as insanely picky as they want.

Where exactly are you relocating to? You seem to dodge a lot of specific questions and I cannot help but to be curious who an ADN new-grad was able to land a position when there are THOUSANDS of BSN grads (who can also relocate) that have been applying countrywide and even half a year into their search they are lucky to have had 2 interviews at most.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

43 months ago

DenimBlue in U.S.A., District of Columbia said: -New grad that got a job- So exactly where (city) did you land a job? And I'm sorry,but I don't believe you turned down offers in NYC. I actually don't even believe you were made any. NYC is ridiculously competitive and with BSN grads coming out of NYU, Stonybrook, Columbia University, etc.--your ADN is almost worthless. I don't mean that in the literal sense. I mean that it is SO competitive, employers can be as insanely picky as they want.

Where exactly are you relocating to? You seem to dodge a lot of specific questions and I cannot help but to be curious who an ADN new-grad was able to land a position when there are THOUSANDS of BSN grads (who can also relocate) that have been applying countrywide and even half a year into their search they are lucky to have had 2 interviews at most.

Denimblue,

Are you in DC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: Denimblue,

Are you in DC?

Hi-
What makes you inquire?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

DenimBlue in U.S.A., District of Columbia said: Hi-
What makes you inquire?

because your location says that you are in DC, but the computer is not always correct. There are opportunities in DC. The WHC is having a new grad residency, I believe in February. GWUH has very recently hired new grads, I've met them. I also saw in the latest nursing mag some other new grad residencies locally.

43 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: because your location says that you are in DC, but the computer is not always correct. There are opportunities in DC. The WHC is having a new grad residency, I believe in February. GWUH has very recently hired new grads, I've met them. I also saw in the latest nursing mag some other new grad residencies locally.

I have seen some recent opportunities in D.C. Of course GWU students will be hired first. Just as NYU, Columbia, and Harvard would be hired first. Problem is, the vast majority of nurses did not graduate from an Ivy League school...or a well known one at that.

A couple of opportunities in D.C. is nothing to scoff at, but it definitely does not represent the current conditions of nursing. I realize many people want to remain positive, but what you're really doing is giving false hope to those in the field and those attempting to enter, based on dreams of "security, stability, and demand". I don't mean this directly to just you, but to the few nurses who are still viciously defending the very field that truly cares nothing about them.

It is a hard thing to admit that we all went to school and worked so hard to find out this field really isn't anything like how it is portrayed. I wish I would have had someone who would have stressed this to me before I entered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Actually, the openings are for new grads, not necessarily grads from IVY schools. The market is definitely tight, but there are some residencies going on in the Washington area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: Actually, the openings are for new grads, not necessarily grads from IVY schools. The market is definitely tight, but there are some residencies going on in the Washington area.

Really? Would you care to provide a list of where these opportunities are? I am sure a specific answer would be appreciated by the thousands of unemployed nurses out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

DenimBlue in U.S.A., District of Columbia said: Really? Would you care to provide a list of where these opportunities are? I am sure a specific answer would be appreciated by the thousands of unemployed nurses out there.

I just did in the above post but I will find a link for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Here is the WHC link and a snippet from their site:
www.whcenter.org/Body_FW.cfm?id=556022

Looking for an adrenaline charged environment? Looking to constantly be challenged? Looking for continuous learning and growth? Looking to really make a difference? Then the Washington Hospital Center is the place for you!

Washington Hospital Center, located in a bustling and diverse inner-city environment, is the largest hospital in DC with 936-beds, a Level I trauma center, the region’s only Burn Center, a nationally recognized cardiovascular program, and more. We offer one of the best RN Residency Programs in the area for new graduate RNs and RNs looking to transition into a new specialty area. You will hit the ground running and be immersed in an extensive 1 year program, which includes classroom instruction tailored to specific clinical areas, a focused case study approach to learning, clinical preceptorship, and new hire support/mentorship. All programs are run by experience clinical nurse educators who oversee both classroom and clinical orientation components. Since 1987, our RN Residency Programs have been the foundation for new graduate and RN training.

The RN Residency Program offers opportunities to work in one of the following units: Cardiac Thoracic, Cardiac Surgery Stepdown, Medical Cardiology, Burn/Trauma Stepdown, Pulmonary, General Medical, Medical/Behavioral Health, Endocrine, Surgery/Transplant, Geriatrics, Oncology, Emergency room, Post Partum, NICU. (Availability is contingent upon open positions)

The 2011 RN Residency Program begins February 22, 2011.

Requirements: Current CPR certification. New grad RNs MUST have taken their NCLEX and passed before the start of the program on February, 2011. It is recommended to sit for a DC RN license when registering to take your boards.

If selected for an interview new grads must bring a current CPR card, two letters of recommendation from clinical instr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Is that specific enough?

I'll try to link others for you.

43 months ago

Here's one of many postings at the George Washington Universtiy Hospital that only require a new grad associates. There are more if you search.
Link: www.gwhospital.com/Employment/Search-Jobs-Online

and snippet:

RN Neuro/Ortho Full-Time 12 Hour Nights
Job Code: 39684
Facility: The George Washington University Hospital
Travel Involved: None
Job Type: Full Time
Job Level:
Minimum Education Required: Associate Degree
Skills:
Category: Nursing
FTE: .9
Position Summary:
Fulfills the needs of the patients, families, and community by performing a variety of patient care functions and tasks in accordance with his/her licensure, certification, training, and regulatory requirements. Responds effectively to new and changing work assignments.

Requirements
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing
· Degree, years of equivalent experience or certification as required.
· Current licensure
· Completion of training programs required.
· Annual physical examination.
· CPR certified
· Successfully passing the Nurse Career Battery is a requirement to be considered for employment

43 months ago

There are many more and I could probably look them up and post them for you if you'd like, just can't right now. I saw many going through interviews this past week. Of course if you're experience and have a BSN, you'd be at an advantage because there are too many really good 4 year schools in this area, Georgetown, GW, Hopkins etc...but there is hope for our 2-year ASN grads too.

New grad that got a job. in New York, New York

43 months ago

DenimBlue in U.S.A., District of Columbia said: -New grad that got a job- So exactly where (city) did you land a job? And I'm sorry,but I don't believe you turned down offers in NYC. I actually don't even believe you were made any. NYC is ridiculously competitive and with BSN grads coming out of NYU, Stonybrook, Columbia University, etc.--your ADN is almost worthless. I don't mean that in the literal sense. I mean that it is SO competitive, employers can be as insanely picky as they want.

People please read my posts. I DID NOT get a job in NYC. I had to relocate away from NYC. There are way to many people applying to the BIG hospitals. I applied to all the major hospitals with no luck. I got a hospital job and it was not in a metro city.....where else can i get a hospital job. Do you think all hospitals are in big cities. I won't say where in case other people from the area I will be working at reads these posts. Nowhere in my posts says that I got a job offer in NYC.

Do you think just because I am an ADN I can't land a job when there are thousands of BSN's that are looking for a job. Well, one place I can't apply is the armed forces since you need a BSN. Have you BSN's tried the military? Maybe I got lucky, maybe they are impressed with my resume, maybe they like my answers in phone interviews, maybe I get paid $1 less than someone with a BSN (although union contracts are same), who knows. But since applying for hospital positions since summer '10, NOT IN THE BIG CITIES OF THE US, I received 4 job offers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia said: There are many more and I could probably look them up and post them for you if you'd like, just can't right now. I saw many going through interviews this past week. Of course if you're experience and have a BSN, you'd be at an advantage because there are too many really good 4 year schools in this area, Georgetown, GW, Hopkins etc...but there is hope for our 2-year ASN grads too.

Very useful Brambleton! There you go people, no excuse not to apply at the places that Brambleton has brought to your attention.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

New grad that got a job. in New York, New York said: People please read my posts. I DID NOT get a job in NYC. I had to relocate away from NYC. There are way to many people applying to the BIG hospitals. I applied to all the major hospitals with no luck. I got a hospital job and it was not in a metro city.....where else can i get a hospital job. Do you think all hospitals are in big cities. I won't say where in case other people from the area I will be working at reads these posts. Nowhere in my posts says that I got a job offer in NYC.

Do you think just because I am an ADN I can't land a job when there are thousands of BSN's that are looking for a job. Well, one place I can't apply is the armed forces since you need a BSN. Have you BSN's tried the military? Maybe I got lucky, maybe they are impressed with my resume, maybe they like my answers in phone interviews, maybe I get paid $1 less than someone with a BSN (although union contracts are same), who knows. But since applying for hospital positions since summer '10, NOT IN THE BIG CITIES OF THE US, I received 4 job offers.

Ok, but the POINT is, you are supposedly a nurse with a job and you have come to, out of all threads, this thread talking about how you have a job but keeping mum about where it is. WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

You are "speaking" to a bunch of nurses with probably ten times more experience under their belt than you have, and basically insinuating that the nurses on here whine, are lazy, and aren't looking hard enough, yet at the same time you are saying that YOU --this brand new Associates Degree nurse--have found a job and also had several offers in JUST the summertime. WHERE ARE THESE MIRACLE DREAM NURSING JOBS THAT YOU SPEAK OF? You cannot even mention a city! Give me a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

DenimBlue in U.S.A., District of Columbia said: Anyone have any luck finding a nursing position? I posted a new thread in this forum. You can search it. It's titled: I regret becoming a nurse.

You can vent there. If you do not wish to, it's still a good read.

PS. Brambleton, I saw you on other forums viciously defending foreign nurses and basically supporting them being hired over any of the qualified American citizens that we have over here. You also followed me around into other forums and tried to dispute the facts I was giving others. What's up with that? What's your agenda? If nursing is so awesome...why are you on all the jobless nurse threads?

Huh?

Viciously defending foreign nurses over qualified American citizens? I have no idea what you are talking about. If you're qualified, then you're qualified. Viciously? Seriously?

Following you around? I don't think so, you don't interest me.

I never said I thought nursing is awesome, where did I say that? Why do you get the impression that I think nursing is great? Because I posted some available residencies in my area? This site decided to remove them, why? I was trying to post helpful info for those seeking new grad positions.

What's my agenda? Well, I have lots of vacation in December and I play on the computer a lot when I have free time. I'm drawn towards any discussion related to my parallel careers, as I am a registered nurse and I also fly F/T for an airline. I'm not just on the 'jobless' threads. I'm not looking for a job or trying to convince anyone of my personal opinions related to the world of nursing or aviation. It simply does not matter. This forum is just entertainment. Hope that answers your question. Carry-on with your crusade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JaneMarie in New Haven, Connecticut

43 months ago

There is a HUGE nursing shortage up in Connecticut. We don't have enough qualified people because everyone goes on to nurse practitioner school to play doctor. What is up with that? We are nurses, not doctors, so stop abandoning patient care at the bedside for your pathetic white coat and bloated salary playing inefficient wannabe doctor!!!!

Rant over....But the craziness lives on in the form of nurse practitioners!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Denim, you live in DC, not Connecticut.

Stop nurses from playing wannabe doctors (nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist) and get back to nursing! We cannot fill our PACU, ICUs, Med/Surg, ER, L&D shifts in Connecticut..and outpatient is even worse! Take the train to CT from NYC if you want good paying RN jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

Merry Christmas and wishing everybody here the best of luck in the job search this coming year.

Hopefully all the new grads, myself included, will be more successful in 2011.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Yale-New Haven hospital is actively hiring as is Hospital of St. Raphaels in New Haven. Middlesex hospital is hiring as are hospitals in Danbury & Hartford, big time. The amount of jobs up here is unbelievable..you just have to look.

We have so many nurses trying to play wannabe doctor in Conneceticut, thats why we have increased bedside nurse job openings. Everyone from my graduating class at gateway community college has landed their choice of job, shift, and floor, with sign on bonuses at yale new haven of $12,000 for new nurses with a 2 year contract for 3 shifts a week. Sorry you guys havent had good luck but its not too late!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I just checked, 82 nursing jobs posted online at yale new haven hospital and there are more that arent advertised..what are you people smoking, there is no shortage of jobs up here in new haven!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Jackson Heights, New York

43 months ago

Male nurses have easier time finding jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I'm from Jackson Heights, too. Is the NYC job market bad for male nurses? I didn't think so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

But couldn't male nurses be used to restrain physically aggressive patients and carry heavy medical equipment?

42 months ago

What about when the older nurses retire in a few years?

Toddd in Royal Oak, Michigan

42 months ago

"What about when the older nurses retire in a few years?"

I think there are too many nurses. The problem with our economy is that we don't have enough wealth-producing jobs. So there is no money to pay for all these nurses, even if they are wanted/needed.

So even when nurses retire, there will be more open positions, but a lot of RNs looking for work.

People are still enrolling in nursing schools as we speak. I assume people think it's 2000 where you just go back to school for a tough subject like nursing and get a job. They don't realize how many people are thinking the same thing.

I enrolled in pre-nursing and quit before the program started. I contacted HR at hospitals and so many said I wouldn't find a job. So why bother.

Some people don't realize how bad the economy is, especially if they have a job. If you're unemployed most professions aren't hiring. There's no magic profession to get into any more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Stamford, Connecticut

42 months ago

Guess I am lucky. Graduated December 22, 2010. Took boards first week in January. Start job in 2 weeks. All I can say is keep trying. Recruiters get hundreds of applicants a day. Make sure you send a thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angelika

42 months ago

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York said: I am planning to sue my school. I have a BSN, 3.5 GPA and have had only one interview since May when I graduated. Send my resume over and no one even has courtesy to respond. The one interview I had came from someone who saw my plight on Facebook, felt sorry for me and helped to set me up. Turned out they were not ready to hire yet and did not want an inexperienced new grad anyway. What I have found in my area (Dutchess Couny) is that you cannot even get your foot in the door without being a CNA there. St. Francis Hosp in Poughkeepsie is one of the worst offenders. They respond electronically and say if they have a position that fits your qualifications they will contact you and never do. Meanwhile, they are telling all their currently employed CNA's to apply for nursing school as they will hire them. I know of only two people that got hired there from my grad class.

Wow, so now I know I really don't have a chance to get hired at St. Francis, I put in an application for a cna position there over month ago and haven't heard anything from them, I don't know why they feel they need to be so selective with their hiring, just give people a chance, at least to interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse trucker in Baker, Louisiana

42 months ago

new grad nurse in California said: I am a new graduate nurse and feel your pain as well. I graduated with BSN several months ago, passed the boards, and received my license and still no job. I think we need to get the word out that there is no longer a nursing shortage. This is a lie that nursing schools continue to tell incoming students so they can continue to get large amounts of funding from state or fed government. I know very little about politics but I do know that when I spoke to a nurse recruiter she stated that the shortage has eased up. However, nursing schools continue to inform students that there is a shortage. Can you image all the new nurses that will be graduating and then all the new students that plan to go into nursing because they believe they will have a job once they complete their education. They are being deceived by nursing schools. We need to get the word out; we can write start writing letters to schools, media, and politicians until someone hears us. I was told that I was virtually guaranteed a job once I complete my education. What a lie!

Know any lawyers who might take a class-action case? Someone should sue the propagators of the false shortage figures (the ANA). I did hear an NPR article where there was supposedly going to be some outfit which would hold nursing schools (and other disciplines) to task for painting untrue rosy job placement claims. And to think I thought I was the only one who saw this "pump it up" bull.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse trucker in Baker, Louisiana

42 months ago

JaneMarie in New Haven, Connecticut said: I just checked, 82 nursing jobs posted online at yale new haven hospital and there are more that arent advertised..what are you people smoking, there is no shortage of jobs up here in new haven!!!

Hi. Thanks for the info. I will look into this today.

brandnewday008 in Fort Wayne, Indiana

40 months ago

My city's colleges have been selling the "nursing shortage" lie like it's been going out of style for the past years and desperate (often jobless) people here are eating it up. There are 8 nursing schools in city of around 300,000 people. I knew that was a problem here but I had no idea that this was a nationwide issue. I agree that it's time for a change in career, but I certainly don't want to be sold another lie. Is there a true shortage in anything, anywhere? Does anyone know of a field where there is some decent job security?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelika22 in New York

40 months ago

brandnewday008 in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: My city's colleges have been selling the "nursing shortage" lie like it's been going out of style for the past years and desperate (often jobless) people here are eating it up. There are 8 nursing schools in city of around 300,000 people. I knew that was a problem here but I had no idea that this was a nationwide issue. I agree that it's time for a change in career, but I certainly don't want to be sold another lie. Is there a true shortage in anything, anywhere? Does anyone know of a field where there is some decent job security?

Everyone thought that being a nurse would provide job security because that is what the media and the schools tell us, and they are still telling us that and sadly people are believing it. I think this problem will continue on and more and more new nurses will be piled on to nurses who already have experience and nurses who are new grads who still can not find jobs,it's a cycle that does not seem to be ending. I hopefully will be starting an LPN program but am very hesitant to go on to get an RN,if you look on job sites(including this one)or in the newspaper it seems like there is an abundance of nursing jobs but people don't realize how many other nurses are looking at those same jobs you are,it's just a sad situation that I do not see ending anytime soon.

New grad in Shakopee, Minnesota

40 months ago

Hopeless in Highland Mills, New York said: Ha, "Nursing Shortage" nothing makes me laugh more than this ridiculous statement! There has never been a nursing shortage, it is a fraud perpetrated upon the unknowing public, who spout this nonsense as if it is a fact. I am a highly experienced RN (lots of credentials with a BS, etc) who CANNOT find a job, I have even gotten 2 additional licenses in order to broaden my prospects...forget it. When I worked as a nurse, let me tell you the hospitals I worked at NEVER, NEVER had a problem hiring nurses, there were plenty of nurses to fill any available slot. They will just hire "foreign" nurses, a rather common practice I might add. When there a thousands of new graduates and experienced nurses who cannot find a job, no matter what....that means there is NO shortage and in fact means there is a glut. If I were in nursing school right now, I would seriously consider whether or not I was wasting my time...especially if your in a Associates program and still want to become a nurse, than switch to a BS now because absolutely no-one is hiring Associates nurses, whether experienced or not.

The nursing shortage is most definitely vastly overstated and I am having trouble finding that first job myself, but to say absolutely no one is hiring nurses with Associates degrees is completely false, at least in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. About 2/3 of my class has found jobs since graduation in May. The best advice I can give is to get nursing assistant job before you graduate. Nearly all the students from my class that have nursing jobs now are working at the place they started out as a nursing assistant at. I just found nursing school hard enough that I didn't want to have to worry about a job while I was in school or I would have gone that route too.

damis in Avon, Connecticut

40 months ago

We have 2 openings in Avon,ct,anyone interested?Please send to damis61@yahoo.com

damis in Avon, Connecticut

40 months ago

2 opening avon,ct email damis61@yahoo.com

lynn in Lexington, South Carolina

39 months ago

new grad nurse in California said: I am a new graduate nurse and feel your pain as well. I graduated with BSN several months ago, passed the boards, and received my license and still no job. I think we need to get the word out that there is no longer a nursing shortage. This is a lie that nursing schools continue to tell incoming students so they can continue to get large amounts of funding from state or fed government. I know very little about politics but I do know that when I spoke to a nurse recruiter she stated that the shortage has eased up. However, nursing schools continue to inform students that there is a shortage. Can you image all the new nurses that will be graduating and then all the new students that plan to go into nursing because they believe they will have a job once they complete their education. They are being deceived by nursing schools. We need to get the word out; we can write start writing letters to schools, media, and politicians until someone hears us. I was told that I was virtually guaranteed a job once I complete my education. What a lie!

NURSE SHORTAGE - REALLY? The issue is new nurses. When I graduated in 2008, there were 180+ nursing jobs at GHS in SC. One year later, there were less than 30, and those jobs were hard to secure. The pay for new nurses is about $19 at GHS and surrounding hospital. When you consider nurses are willing to work 3rd shifts, holidays and still work for the $19/hour (plus differentials at nights), it puzzles to me why there aren't plenty of spots for these new nurses; when you onsider the great exodus that is upon us with the older nurses retiring, this is a rather short sighted approach to a very real and near threat. I also think the turn over rates are unusually high with pay rates this low.

That being said, I DO think there is a demand for the more experienced nurses, particularly in leadership. Hospital need to think long term or there really will be a gross shortage!

Jim J in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

I dropped out after first semester of very good BSN college. Decided I wanted to pursue medical school. I realized that the pay is not worth the bullcrap. I was already making 70-80K as a mechanic while attending the BSN, and all the RN's in clincals asked me what the heck I was doing there :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

User Name in Sostanj, Slovenia

36 months ago

we need few thousand doctors and nurses. More info at www.mz.gov.si/en/frequently_asked_questions/ .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heike65 in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

36 months ago

aeromedicina in Cerritos, California said: Whether ther is a shortage or not, nursing is always evolving.
What are your goals in nursing? I guess once you define them you can focus on that aspect of nursing. Are good at sales? Good talker? Nice presentation and speech?

Waht other skills do you have to enhance your BSN?

I am sure a one to one with a motivator can do you a lot of good.

Manny in california.

One to one with a motivator doesn't pay the bills. I too am an unemployed RN. A few years back I lost my job due to business closing and so did my husband. I worked hard only to end up at the same situation. I am 46 years old (too old to compete in this market) and I was very motivated at the nursing home I worked at until they fired me for no appearant reason. I simply wanted to be a good nurse and did not agree with all the short cuts they were taking and how they compromised my nursing license on a daily basis. This is an ongoing struggle to find a job. I can't take it any more and frankly I think going to school and running up more bills at my age was a huge mistake. I love nursing and I am very passionate about it but I feel doomed at this point. There are so many people going for a nursing degree. There is no shortage. Every job opening I look at requires at least 1 year of experience. I do have other talents and have considered putting them to use. It is painful not being able to work as a nurse as I love the profession, but what can I do?

Heike65 in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

36 months ago

lynn in Lexington, South Carolina said: NURSE SHORTAGE - REALLY? The issue is new nurses. When I graduated in 2008, there were 180+ nursing jobs at GHS in SC. One year later, there were less than 30, and those jobs were hard to secure. The pay for new nurses is about $19 at GHS and surrounding hospital. When you consider nurses are willing to work 3rd shifts, holidays and still work for the $19/hour (plus differentials at nights), it puzzles to me why there aren't plenty of spots for these new nurses; when you onsider the great exodus that is upon us with the older nurses retiring, this is a rather short sighted approach to a very real and near threat. I also think the turn over rates are unusually high with pay rates this low.

That being said, I DO think there is a demand for the more experienced nurses, particularly in leadership. Hospital need to think long term or there really will be a gross shortage!

I totally agree, this is not good long term planning by the hospitals. Yes, there is a huge demand for experienced nurses. I have seen many ads that specifically state: sorry ,no new grads. I am 46 years old how long do I have to wait to put my skills to use? I worked at a place that had a nurse who is 73 years old. People are not ready to retire. By the time things pick up I will be ready to retire. When the application asks for the year I graduated from highschool I already know I don't have a chance. I was wondering about working as an LPN somewhere. What are my chances of moving into an RN position after that. Or, if I work as a secretary, what are my chances of getting an RN job? Anybody had this experience?

Nurse Trucker in Baker, Louisiana

36 months ago

I am presently re-training to go back "OTR" (over-the-road) as a chemical tank truck driver (sorry if I am boring, but you friends of mine are supposed to be compassionate - LOL). Seriously, I welcome it; I did it (OTR chemical driving) up until 2003 when I started nursing school. I do not regret my ed; matter of fact, I'm very proud of it. It just was not in the cards for me to practice. That is okay. I do...so very sincerely...wish ALL of you the very best in your pursuits. I hope they fix the "machine." It's not right to drag folks around the way we have been drug...(drugged?!) around. Try to diffuse with humor and pray a lot. Yours always, Randall H. Trantham; BSN/RN; Southern University School of Nursing; Fall Class of 2008.

Aeromedicina. in Northridge, California

35 months ago

Quotation ". I do have other talents and have considered putting them to use. It is painful not being able to work as a nurse as I love the profession, but what can I do?"

talk to a motivator one to one....I feel you contradict yourself. One who can help you determine what those talents are and how to apply them, would be the answer.

Annie in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

Couldn't agree more with the title of this thread! My daughter graduated with her BSN last year, has been applying like crazy to literally every job posting she could find online both in-state and clear across the country, and only managed to land 2 interviews neither of which she got. This after graduating in the top 5% of her class, passing the NCLEX on first try, having outstanding reference from her instructor, etc. She went into thousands of dollars student loan debt and ended up having to take a completely unrelated job working for a financial company. She could've landed the same job before nursing school had she had a crystal ball and known what lay ahead after graduation. And of course the admission reps and instructors at those colleges completely blow smoke up the student's butts, saying how many jobs there are and how the nursing market is wide open etc.

Anyone reading this, please don't waste your time and money on pursuing nursing unless you really don't care whether or not you get a job in the field. There are still health care jobs but mostly those that require masters and above education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Trucker in Zachary, Louisiana

35 months ago

I sense an upset father, and I feel your emotion, Sir. Most do not understand; we are not saying there are NO jobs in nursing; we are also not saying that there are not some folks kicking butt in the profession with more calls than they can handle. We are saying there is no shortage and we are saying there is not much chance for a new grad. They don't want me for the various strikes; I have no experience. I do so wish your daughter well.

New Grad in Nashville, Tennessee

35 months ago

The problem is the economy. Nurses that formerly worked PRN/PT are working full-time jobs and nurses that were not working at all are working again because costs have increased and their spouses fear or have lost their jobs. As long as the economy is down, so is the job market for new graduate BSNs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

35 months ago

Nurse trucker in Baker, Louisiana said: Know any lawyers who might take a class-action case? Someone should sue the propagators of the false shortage figures (the ANA). I did hear an NPR article where there was supposedly going to be some outfit which would hold nursing schools (and other disciplines) to task for painting untrue rosy job placement claims. And to think I thought I was the only one who saw this "pump it up" bull.

Now that some states have CNA's do the nurses job with only one day med class,the shortage will get worse.Money talks.Big corporations lobby to change the laws in their favor.How much does it cost to bribe government? That is how things work here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kara in Stoughton, Wisconsin

35 months ago

I take offense in your remark "don't spend your time on LPN!" I have "spent" my time as an LPN for the past 20+ years. My job as a nurse has been good to me, both professionally and personally, and has taught me alot. I also make more money than many RN's I know, including my older sister. I work on a cardiac unit at a large hospital in Madison, and still do love being a nurse. Reading the above posts, I also want to add there are alot of opportunities for both LPN's and RN's right out of school in my area, so I find it interesting that new nurses are finding it hard to land a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Aeromedicina. in Northridge, California

35 months ago

I know of a few LVN' who decided to volunteer at various hospitals, 2 of them at a Children's hospital... It took less than a month before administrators noticed them and hired them on the spot.

Get out of the box and you will see the rest of the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sky in Piscataway, New Jersey

35 months ago

Jim J in Chicago, Illinois said: I dropped out after first semester of very gooKd BSN college. Decided I wanted to pursue medical school. I realized that the pay is not worth the bullcrap. I was already making 70-80K as a mechanic while attending the BSN, and all the RN's in clincals asked me what the heck I was doing there :)

Kudos to you and I would have done the same if there were not certain hindrances. I have 8 years experience in nursing and can't land a job,few interviews and mostly no responses from HR. Hospitals seem to be hiring internationals with the lower wages and substandard working conditions. Best of luck in your new area of interest, it will pay off in the long run, because then you won't have to wait for someone to hire you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »