I regret becoming a nurse...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 100)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

BlueEyedNurse in New York, New York

19 months ago

Christine in Canton, Ohio said: As far as LPN goes,,,I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible so I am going to do LPN at the local public school for adult education, then go to community college to do LPN ~ RN. Community college has a 3 yr wait to get into their ADN program.

Be careful going to a 2 year, ADN program. Most hospitals where I live are not hiring so year nurses anymore. They want 4 year bachelor's degree nurses. It may not be the most inexpensive way to do things if you can't get a job when you get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

It is--people are doing 2 year ADNs for their RN @ Community Colleges, then transferring to BSN for 18 month program...it's way cheaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bevel in Memphis, Tennessee

19 months ago

J& J is Awful in Raritan, New Jersey said: I am begining to realize that colleges are like a business . They want to suck in as many students as they can , and of course their FAFSA loan money, but the product they offer ( a degree) is really not worth anything, since so many otehr nursing students hold the same degree. There are no nursing jobs.

Well Stated! I'm hearing that the newbies are usually hired and the older RN's are down-sized due to economy,budget cut backs and other excuses. Is this true in most places? My thought is what happens after the newbies become the oldies...Is this A New Vicious Cycle?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Omn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Just started my first nursing job 6 months ago. Thought I was super lucky to get a job right out of college, and I might seem ungrateful right now, but I can't stand it. The constant verbal abuse and disrespect from patients, families, and coworkers is nothing like what I expected from this "profession" in school. It always seems like I get the difficult behavioral patients (EtOH withdrawal and liver patients) where the older nurses get the calm people and sit on their butts all night. I feel like I'm working myself to the bone all night and am constantly moving to get stuff done, but I get no thanks from patients. They are miserable when I leave, sweaty and demoralized, and unhappy to see me when I come back 12 hours later. Even after the 12 hours of constant work (oh a 15 minute period where I jam food into my throat) and diligent charting, my managers still send the emails telling me what I'm failing to do. And the doctors are another story. They're not rude or abusive or disrespectful, but they don't really give a damn about your assessments or issues encountered as a nurse. I feel like an ideal situation for a doctor would be a robot nurse with no ability to speak or respond. You're not a "professional" as a nurse. The analogy has been made in the past: a nurse is just a waitress who doesn't get tips and wipes their customers butts for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Omn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Just started my first nursing job 6 months ago. Thought I was super lucky to get a job right out of college, and I might seem ungrateful right now, but I can't stand it. The constant verbal abuse and disrespect from patients, families, and coworkers is nothing like what I expected from this "profession" in school. It always seems like I get the difficult behavioral patients (EtOH withdrawal and liver patients) where the older nurses get the calm people and sit on their butts all night. I feel like I'm working myself to the bone all night and am constantly moving to get stuff done, but I get no thanks from patients. They are miserable when I leave, sweaty and demoralized, and unhappy to see me when I come back 12 hours later. Even after the 12 hours of constant work (oh a 15 minute period where I jam food into my throat) and diligent charting, my managers still send the emails telling me what I'm failing to do. And the doctors are another story. They're not rude or abusive or disrespectful, but they don't really give a damn about your assessments or issues encountered as a nurse. I feel like an ideal situation for a doctor would be a robot nurse with no ability to speak or respond. You're not a "professional" as a nurse. The analogy has been made in the past: a nurse is just a waitress who doesn't get tips and wipes their customers butts for them.

Sounds like you work in a drag of a unit. You're being taken advantage of by the older nurses. Maybe it's time that you request a unit change. Don't say it's because of the reasons you're posting. Say you want diverse experience, to find out how it is in another unit, etc. I've been a nurse for a long time, & I have seen everything change so much. You're right--doctors don't care about the nurses. So, don't give a crap about them either. Unfortunately, what you're going through is the let-down from the idealism you thought it was going to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

BlueEyedNurse in New York, New York said: Sounds like you work in a drag of a unit. You're being taken advantage of by the older nurses. Maybe it's time that you request a unit change. Don't say it's because of the reasons you're posting. Say you want diverse experience, to find out how it is in another unit, etc. I've been a nurse for a long time, & I have seen everything change so much. You're right--doctors don't care about the nurses. So, don't give a crap about them either. Unfortunately, what you're going through is the let-down from the idealism you thought it was going to be.

(Cont.--You wanted to make a different & take care of people, & are finding out that nursing isn't all it's cut up to be. Another thing I saw is that you may be having difficulty with time management. Sometimes you need to shut off your emotions & go through the motions in order to do everything in the 12 hours you're there. Sad, by true. Don't get so caught up in what everybody else does, either. Patients are sick, don't feel good & are not going to be "happy" to see you like your boyfriend is. They just want their pain meds & meals. Don't take everything so personally. If you're waiting for everybody to say "thank you", to greet you with a smile every day & praise your performance, you're wasting your time. Ask the managers what you can do to improve your performance---instead of taking their emails as an attack, take them as constructive criticism & ask them for their advice. Nursing is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination. Health care is in a bad place right now, & the doctors are under pressure too. You may think of this as bad advice but just go to work, power through the 12 hours like a robot, & walk out the door without a care in the world except going home. You'll be much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Omn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Thanks for the reply BlueEyedNurse. I'm sure much of my trouble comes from being a new nurse and not having the abilities granted by experience. I also get that patients aren't going to be happy in the hospital, but what I've been encountering isn't your average "sick and tired patients." It's staff manipulation, inflated sense of entitlement, and just straight up abuse of their situation. This emphasis on patient satisfaction has all healthcare workers by the throat, and since nurses are with the patient more than any other discipline we take the blunt of it. Add on the hospital's staffing policies that frequently result in understaffed floors, most likely for business/financial purposes, is just straight up demoralizing. I work tonight and already know we're gonna be a nurse and a CNA short. Gonna be fun. I know it isn't an easy job and I knew that going into it, but I didn't quite expect this. I see my other new grad friends in non-nursing jobs/desk work posting Facebook crap during their shift and meeting up with friends during hour long lunch breaks in their 8 hour days. Yes, I'm jealous of them. I need to change floors, I know that. I'm not working in the area I'm interested in, but I had to take this job given the market. I won't be able to leave 6 months in because so much has been invested in my orientation and it would be dishonorable to leave before a year. I'm stuck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HoneyRN in Saint Augustine, Florida

18 months ago

This is so gloom and doom and I wish I had something positive to add. I've been a nurse since 1999- the first ten years as a LPN and the last four as a RN. I've worked in 3 different states and 5 different facilities. I've just relocated to Florida and have just started applying for jobs. I knew the job situation was tough but I didn't realize it was as bad as this. What I do know is that the last job I had in a hospital was so stressful I felt sick every time I drove to work. The patients were VERY sick, I was under trained, some of the other nurses were extremely hostile, the manager was quick to throw you under the bus, the doctors berated the nurses daily, I was called off about 1/2 my shifts for "low census" and put on call with no pay. I would work 15 hours straight for a 12 hour shift because I was trying to care for my patients by doing my work and the CNA's work.
I had to quit after a year and went to a long-term facility. Now I am back in the market for a job because my husband relocated to Florida and I beginning to see this is going to take awhile. I was wondering if it was because I went to Excelsior for my associate degree in nursing that I wasn't getting any response. .any thoughts on that? I see many commenting that associate degrees are not preferred regardless of where they are from, but I do have experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Aston, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Probably...also most hospitals want BSNs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Omn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Thanks for the reply BlueEyedNurse. I'm sure much of my trouble comes from being a new nurse and not having the abilities granted by experience. I also get that patients aren't going to be happy in the hospital, but what I've been encountering isn't your average "sick and tired patients." It's staff manipulation, inflated sense of entitlement, and just straight up abuse of their situation. This emphasis on patient satisfaction has all healthcare workers by the throat, and since nurses are with the patient more than any other discipline we take the blunt of it. Add on the hospital's staffing policies that frequently result in understaffed floors, most likely for business/financial purposes, is just straight up demoralizing. I work tonight and already know we're gonna be a nurse and a CNA short. Gonna be fun. I know it isn't an easy job and I knew that going into it, but I didn't quite expect this. I see my other new grad friends in non-nursing jobs/desk work posting Facebook crap during their shift and meeting up with friends during hour long lunch breaks in their 8 hour days. Yes, I'm jealous of them. I need to change floors, I know that. I'm not working in the area I'm interested in, but I had to take this job given the market. I won't be able to leave 6 months in because so much has been invested in my orientation and it would be dishonorable to leave before a year. I'm stuck.

I don't envy your situation. "Dishonorable" means nothing if you're getting sick over the job. You have loyalty, integrity & ethics, which is a lot more than any employer has these days. While I understand you need a job, just remember that your employer would fire you in a heartbeat & not give a damn about how much was "invested" in your orientation. Is your hospital unionized? If so, there may be union rules about staffing schedules. There's not much you're going to do about other people's attitudes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Cont'd. Like I said, turn off your "emotion-meter", go to work, do your job & don't worry about how people feel so much as what you're doing. Unfortunately, older nurses will "try" younger nurses (I have no idea why they do this except that they themselves are miserable & have low self esteem & are envious of younger, prettier, thinner woman) & after a while it will end when they see that they're not affecting you. It's like the school bully--either ignore them or let them know you're not going to stand for their B.S. F*** patient satisfaction--they get thrown out the hospital far sooner than they should be, 3/4 of them end up getting infections & being readmitted, & you're never going to please everybody all the time. You have to find a way to SURVIVE in there. Don't get so caught up in the stuff that doesn't matter. You are one person, with 2 arms & 2 legs, & you can only do one thing at a time. If the hospital wants to run the unit understaffed, then the patients have to wait. They can write their complaint letters to the CEO when they are discharged. Remember, other nurses are just as miserable as you. They just think because they've been there longer that they're more entitled to complain about it. Try to work on your time management. Make sure you at least take 30 minutes to eat. Take care of yourself, or else you'll be useless to anyone else. Don't concern yourself with your friends posting on Facebook either or hour long lunches. Be concerned with what YOU do. Look to see if there are any openings on other units every day. Nothing is forever Omn. Get some experience under your belt, improve your time management & organization, & you'll feel better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I understand your position...not good. But I would at least try to hang in and honor the contract--if for no other reason it makes you look "unstable" to leave so soon. If there is no way to change floors/units, and no realistic way to address grievances--unfortunately you may just have to change your attitude (by trying not to internalize all the crap). And no--it's NOT YOU--but you can only control how you react. Try to deliver the most professional, safest care for each patient. Try not to focus on the negative staff and mean patients. Sometimes I just consider it a game/test of my professionalism and fortitude to deal with the crap. My other priority is keeping my license and reputation pristine. I'm working in a hospital to care for the sick to the best of my ability--not to make friends and feed the gossip mill like a sewing circle. I learned early on NOT to expect gratitude, so when it happens it is indeed sweet. Conquer this type of situation now because chances are it will come up again...somewhere. Just saying--been there, done that. Know who you are and respect yourself. Can you ask your Manager for help? Show her that you are a team player--but as such, cannot carry the full load of others on the team. It is better to be honest and try to get this under control before it festers further. Good luck, you sound like a great,caring nursing professional :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Ebony in Dayton, Ohio

18 months ago

It is very true especially here in ohio. I am a new grad 8 months out of school and 5 months into practice as a home health nurse and my experience is very similar. I have applied to almost a hundred places and I have been on only 5 interviews this year only to be turned down for an experienced nurse. I was fortunate to find an agency that accept new nurses but still no cases are available. Even though I have years of hospital training, nursing is my 2nd career in the health field, I have graduated with honors and won the Nursing Excellence Award and had a high GPA. Im still not good enough for a position i feel im qualified for. Im afraid that by new nurses not being giving a chance to practice, there will be another shortage in the future because its scaring potential pre-nursing students to even become a nurse due to lack of jobs. Who wants to pay thousands of dollars just to come out and job search for months to a year or 2?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Couple of questions...1) Are you a U.S. citizen? 2) Do you have a BSN or RN? Both answers make a huge difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

You are a CNA? If you spent thousands on your education you have been duped, period.

Go to a community college and apply for a medical tech/nursing program (2 yrs) then 18 mos. for BSN...home health is dead end unless you are an RN/BSN running the place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mroller in Alliance, Nebraska

18 months ago

Nurse Ebony: are you willing to relocate? I am the marketing director of a long term care facility in Alliance Nebraska and rural America is hurting for nurses. You will get a lot of experience in long term nursing and would love to have you. If interested go to www.good-sam.com. Click on the "locations" tab; then click on state of Nebraska; then a list of all locations will come up; we're the second one on the list "alliance." Click on it; our home page comes up. On the left side of the home page is a tab "careers". Click on it and when you find the position you'd be interested in click on it and you'll find a tab just above and to the right "apply online." Would love to hear from you! mroller@good-sam.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in South Africa

18 months ago

Hi guys I am a male nurse in South Africa In a private company. Don't give up on the profession. In ICU I see things that break
my heart. Always remember that this is just not a job and that there
Is higher power involved in making your decision. God bless with your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nursing is a crap job in Haaltert, Belgium

17 months ago

I'm a Belgian nurse with a bachelor's degree and I earn about 1550 euros a month. Regular income for young people with bachelor's is about 1700 here. When I still worked at a hospital, I had to work my ass off for next to nothing, constantly getting abuse from patients and working crazy hours and weekends. Since I really don't care one bit about 'helping people', I left 'normal' medicine and started working as a company nurse, performing medical exams. I still get the same pay, but now I work from 08.30 - 16.00 every day and don't have to work weekends. Plus I get a day off a month on top of my yearly vacation and 140 euros worth of meal vouchers (which can be used for everything you can buy in a supermarktet in Belgium).

I'd recommend young nurses to look for a job in the private sector, in stead of slaving in a hospital for 45 years. High school graduates I'd recommend NOT to become nurses. Be honest, it's not a decent job with decent pay for the amount of effort you have to invest in the studies and the work itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Airborne to BSN in Axton, Virginia

17 months ago

NO ONE from either a university recruiting office or a nursing school information session will tell you about the negative aspects of becoming a nurse. If you are considering spending a great deal of money (yours or someone elses) and an unusual amount of your own time in order to become a nurse, there are a few things that I encountered that I wish someone would have told me.
1) You have no idea what you are getting into (read that two or three more times). You WILL be defecated/urinated/vomitted/ bled on. No, it's not cute.
2) You WILL risk your license every second that you're at work. If you're good, you will be able to mitigate the risks of you loosing the product of your hard work through careful (read: CYA) techniques, charting, interpersonal communication.
3) Nurses are, as a group, pretty bitchy to one another under ideal circumstances, and can be down-right evil to one another under high-stress conditions. BTW: nursing is usually busy and high-stress (I'm an emergency RN).
4) You will not be respected and rarely appreciated by patients, patient's family, other RNs, MDs, PAs, NPs, techs, and especially not management. If you go into nursing for some sense of existential fulfillment from all the thanks you'll get, you will have made a mistake.
5) Hoisting the obese, maneuvering through equipment and being on your feet all day - even with proper body mechanics - takes a massive toll on even a fit person.
6) If you want to positively affect treatment of a deserving patient population, work in a third-world hospital or on a women's or pediatric cancer unit (where you will promptly and regularly have your heart broken). The vast majority of the rest of western hospitals treat lifestyle-related disease (read: preventable). Although it does keep us employed:)
I went from combat medicine in Afghanistan and Iraq to a BSN program. I am very good at what I do, and I wish I had gone into ultrasound; pays $7-10/hour more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Malvern, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Airborne to BSN in Axton, Virginia said: NO ONE from either a university recruiting office or a nursing school information session will tell you about the negative aspects of becoming a nurse. If you are considering spending a great deal of money (yours or someone elses) and an unusual amount of your own time in order to become a nurse, there are a few things that I encountered that I wish someone would have told me.

Yeah--nursing student here. Sucks big-time. Love some of the patients but true--other nursing students are evil. Not sure it's worth it...no jobs anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Malvern, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

mroller in Alliance, Nebraska said: Nurse Ebony: are you willing to relocate? I am the marketing director of a long term care facility in Alliance Nebraska and rural America is hurting for nurses. You will get a lot of experience in long term nursing and would love to have you. If interested go to www.good-sam.com . Click on the "locations" tab; then click on state of Nebraska; then a list of all locations will come up; we're the second one on the list "alliance." Click on it; our home page comes up. On the left side of the home page is a tab "careers". Click on it and when you find the position you'd be interested in click on it and you'll find a tab just above and to the right "apply online." Would love to hear from you! mroller@good-sam.com

So...this is a nursing home job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mroller

17 months ago

Yes it is. We run the gamut of services - acute care, respite, hospice, rehab, memory care. A nurse gets a lot of experience working in long term care that would serve him/her well in other places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

katyanne in Racine, Wisconsin

16 months ago

For those who think Obamacare killed nursing, do you realize that it has only been in effect since 10/2013? Didn't think so...you've been paying too much attention to Fox News to know what is really going on. The ACA is ensuring millions of Americans who did not have insurance before, but that increase is only NOW going into effect. Factor in the 1-3 month waiting periods included in most insurance policies and hospitals and doctors offices are not going to see any increase in patient loads for months. The other issue is that a large number of states have chosen not to expand Medicaid--despite the fact that the expansion is initially FREE under the Affordable Care Act and cheap for many years to come. Hospitals in those states are worried about the impact of their state's decision combined with the decrease in Medicare funding that was supposed to be offset by increased enrollment in Medicaid. With all that said, the bottom line is that you can rest assured with the boomer generation moving into their mid to late 60's and obesity/diabetes/heart disease stats the way they are, there will be work. You may have to leave the big metropolitan areas like New York and California....which have a GLUT of professionals, not only nurses...to find work. If you're not willing to relocate then just hold tight for a year. You'll see that I'm right. BTW I am now retired but I worked as an RN for 26 years and it was hard, but I never for one minute regretted what I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

PS Wisconsin is looking for nurses, too. The pay is awful but the cost of living is pretty low, as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Diane in Riverhead, New York said: Anyone can work 24 hours in a row if they agree to do it. That means they would work less than 2 days a week. I know nearly all firemen do it, CRNA's in trauma centers that do it. As far as "regular" nurses, I'm not sure but I think if they work a "normal" 40 hour week, whether 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts, they can only work 16 consecutive hours since union contracts and/or other nursing contracts state 16 hours is the maximum (or else places would have nurses working 24/7).

In most states it's illegal to work 24 hours in a row and God help you if you make a mistake. Your employer's malpractice will probably cover you but you'll be CRUCIFIED in court...or when you give your deposition.... when you are being sued. YOU are responsible for your safe practice and no one can work for 24 hours straight and be safe. Firemen are completely different. When there is no fire they are in the firehouse asleep. Nurses on duty don't get naps..at least not where I worked (Peds ICU and Peds oncology/BMT)And please don't talk to me about residents...they are in a training program and the official AMA position is that they can't be on call for 24 hours any more. I came to this forum looking for info for an article, and I have to say that I am truly sorry to hear so many disillusioned RN's here. I retired when I was ~50 due to disability but I missed my work every day. I am 63 years old now but I still miss it. And I worked just as hard as you do and went YEARS without a break. I was stressed, exhausted, burned out and tired, but the one thing I never felt was unappreciated! I had my share of complainers, and a few of the attending docs were hard to take. But overall the doctors, residents, patients and families never treated me with anything but respect. Maybe you get what you give? Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

too true in Redmond, Oregon

16 months ago

It may be illegal, but 24 hour shifts happen. Get back in the pool with the rest of the RNs and you will find that full time benefited jobs went out the window as soon as ACA rumblings started happening. Lots of hospitals advertise, but they have no intention of filling the jobs posted. That is why you see the same ones over and over. Here is the other thing that is different; health care is customer service oriented. So patients now expect a hospital stay to be like a 5 star hotel. Cooked to order breakfast, nurse waiting on your family, make any waves and you are gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Canton, Ohio

16 months ago

Thanks for your postive reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rx Veteran in Maryland

16 months ago

Diane in Riverhead, New York said: I am so confused because I don't know what happened, or why it happened to me. I never had any problems there. I'm just so upset & depressed. SNIP
I've been a nurse for 25+ years, have a tremendous amount of experience, but no places are hiring where I live.

Pharmacists are having the exact same trouble. Why did "it?" happen to you.
Age discrimination. Newer grads will work for less $. If you are over 50 forget it. The professional schools are churning out students who can't get jobs. Why? Because they are greedy. How teachers can look at those young eager faces and lie??? Amazing. The apparent global plan is to pay everyone in health care McDonald's wages because they can. Forget about the responsibility to the patient..Oh. and forget you..They will get another body.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

too true in Redmond, Oregon

16 months ago

All health care professions are having a glut of people. I don't know about pharmacists, but in my state people have to practice so many hours as an RN. I had started travelling to get away from the backstabbing that I was experiencing here. Otherwise, nursing had been a good profession. I still like what I am doing it is just all the politics. I saw McDonald's wages posted for an RN in Florida. You can bet it will get filled.

Cinamngrl in Olympia, Washington

16 months ago

Hi Mark:

I know your post is a year old and your situation may have already changed and I hope it has, but I read your comments and could feel your frustration in your words. I experienced the same thing after graduating with my Bachelor's degree; I also didn't have any experience, and couldn't land a job. I was really depressed and had to take a job in a completely different field.

Have you thought about working as a CNA? I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Washington state, there are many nursing home facilities that will pay for your training if you agree to work for them for a set amount of time and are hired. You work there as you are being trained; it a win/win solution for both.

The worst thing we can do is let defeat get the best of us. If we look for a solution to the problem we can usually find one. Do some research and see if you can find a facility that offers CNA training, or check into agency nursing. They might hire new graduates, as well as nursing homes....they may be more flexible in their hiring practices. You may only get to pass meds and do dressing changes, but it's work experience.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

from shock to dismay in Nebraska

13 months ago

I have a question for actual fellow nurses...have you ever heard of an nurse having her license revoked because of a non injury fall?? Like the name says from shock to dismay. Thanks.

rnny in new york, New York

11 months ago

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said: Think out of the box? I received my RN--Associates Degree 2 years ago. I started my own Home Health Agency. Make way more than a hospital salary with 100% less hassle, plus I control my own hours.

Why do nurses think hospital jobs are the only and best nursing jobs???[/QUOTE

If you wouldn't mind sharing, how do you get started opening a home health agency? Is there a class you can take to find out how to bill, do you have to have accreditation from government agencies? Any advice would be helpful, Im tinkling of heading in that direction. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

11 months ago

from shock to dismay in Nebraska said: I have a question for actual fellow nurses...have you ever heard of an nurse having her license revoked because of a non injury fall?? Like the name says from shock to dismay. Thanks.

You would be amazed at the things licenses get revoked for. Go on your state BON website and navigate to the disciplinary section and start reading. Your eye will be opened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

10 months ago

Holly in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I don't regret going to nursing school, however I'm very scared that I'm not going to be able to find a job before I have to pay back my student loans.

I just graduated with my BSN, passed my NCLEX the first time and have been applying like crazy with no luck. Not even one call back. Everyone wants experience but no one is willing to give it to you.

It just really sucks because now I'm stuck as a waitress when I'm much more qualified. I just feel like a failure and have just been so depressed the past few weeks. I'm not against moving, I think it would even be a fun adventure, but I'm just really scared about all the change and what to do next.

www.ohiohcp.org/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

10 months ago

Movingforward43 in Hilliard, Ohio said: I have been an LPN for 14 years and I am miserable. Nursing used to be fun now it is long hours on your feet and low pay. I finally made the decision to get out of nursing while I can. I have the utmost respect for other nurses, but this profession is not for me. I am taking all of my college credits and I am going into Radiography. I do plan on working every other weekend doing nurse visits. It is a good job and the company I work for pays well. I work for my sister and she is a RN who immediately after she graduated opened up her own Homehealth company. She said she couldn't see herself working on her feet for 8, 10, or 12 hours. It is about the pay; STNAs or CNAs should make $15/ hr , LPNs $30/hr and RNs $50/hr. If they would pay people for this excruciating work then maybe things would be better Nursing also become too political. What ever happened to hiring good nurse just because they are good and not because they know someone in that particular company.I am not going to waste my money on a BSN when be a nurse just plain STINKS.

Thanks for sticking up for us STNAs :) We are usually always overlooked. If I made 15 dollars an hour I'd be in heaven, or close to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sad in Bloomfield, New Jersey

7 months ago

Nursing sucks if you are a good or bad nurse....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barry2 in Austin, Texas

3 months ago

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said: Think out of the box? I received my RN--Associates Degree 2 years ago. I started my own Home Health Agency. Make way more than a hospital salary with 100% less hassle, plus I control my own hours.

Why do nurses think hospital jobs are the only and best nursing jobs???

How did you start a Home Health Agency?

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

3 months ago

too true in Redmond, Oregon said: All health care professions are having a glut of people. I don't know about pharmacists, but in my state people have to practice so many hours as an RN. I had started travelling to get away from the backstabbing that I was experiencing here. Otherwise, nursing had been a good profession. I still like what I am doing it is just all the politics. I saw McDonald's wages posted for an RN in Florida. You can bet it will get filled.

When we try to tell people this, they don't believe it. They say the "Medical field" is full of jobs. This...coming from people who don't work in it.
People truly do believe the "nursing shortage" thing. They don't get that when they are in the hospital, the reason the nurse has been away so long is...she has so many patients, and they purposely short staff.

People out there think medical staff is always in demand and that employers just have to hire us because we have experience.

The reality is that schools keep pouring people into these jobs and no one does a thing to stop it. The glut of people lowers pay and increases lack of jobs.

Do the people going to school for these professions believe they are really the next big thing, and that they will be better and get the jobs?

Renee Hutchinson in Dayton, Ohio

3 months ago

BlueEyedNurse in New York, New York said: Be careful going to a 2 year, ADN program. Most hospitals where I live are not hiring so year nurses anymore. They want 4 year bachelor's degree nurses. It may not be the most inexpensive way to do things if you can't get a job when you get out.

Well if you can read she lives in Ohio. NOT New York. So be quiet and let her do what she wants to do with her life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Renee Hutchinson in Dayton, Ohio

3 months ago

BlueEyedNurse in New York, New York said: Sounds like you work in a drag of a unit. You're being taken advantage of by the older nurses. Maybe it's time that you request a unit change. Don't say it's because of the reasons you're posting. Say you want diverse experience, to find out how it is in another unit, etc. I've been a nurse for a long time, & I have seen everything change so much. You're right--doctors don't care about the nurses. So, don't give a crap about them either. Unfortunately, what you're going through is the let-down from the idealism you thought it was going to be.

Sounds like you are a know it all baffoon!! Be Quiet.. ! B I T C H

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ny girl in Brooklyn, New York

3 months ago

What about medical techs, do they have to deal with this drama you guys get..

ny girl in Brooklyn, New York

3 months ago

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona said: When we try to tell people this, they don't believe it. They say the "Medical field" is full of jobs. This...coming from people who don't work in it.
People truly do believe the "nursing shortage" thing. They don't get that when they are in the hospital, the reason the nurse has been away so long is...she has so many patients, and they purposely short staff.

People out there think medical staff is always in demand and that employers just have to hire us because we have experience.

The reality is that schools keep pouring people into these jobs and no one does a thing to stop it. The glut of people lowers pay and increases lack of jobs.

Do the people going to school for these professions believe they are really the next big thing, and that they will be better and get the jobs?

Not sure if your right, I know someone who had experience as a tech and worked in a hospital for years before being a nurse.. and think thats the way to do it.

NurseJackie in Romeo, Michigan

2 months ago

Hi, all -

My good friend Lori Minky Radcliffe, RN is offering a F.R.E.E. webinar a non-traditional nursing career opportunity. Lori is the go-to person for nurses who are interested in fitness and who want to build their brand, find their niche and finally find their LOVE for nursing again.

You can find out more about the Five (5) Steps for Fitness Nurses to Turn YOUR Fitness 'FAD' into Cash! F.R.E.E. webinar taking place in April at www.FitnessFadsforFitnessNurses.com Or, feel free to reach her at Minky@freelancenursepros.com. I'm confident you'll laugh and learn at the same time. Lori knows how to deliver valuable, content-rich information in a humorous, no-holds-barred manner. In other words, she speaks the unvarnished truth... which is why I'm attending. I hope you can make it, too!

Enjoy!

Love and success,

Jackie Renaud
Medical Aesthetic Nurse and Nurse Entrepreneur
Learn how to land a job as a MEDICAL AESTHETIC NURSE at support@MedicalAestheticNurse.com The originator of
THE ONLY PROGRAM THAT REVEALS THE TRUTH ABOUT HOW TO GET A JOB AS A MEDICAL AESTHETIC NURSE quickly and inexpensively EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO WORK EXPERIENCE IN BOTOX, DERMAL FILLERS OR LASER TREATMENTS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ginamarie88 in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida

2 months ago

I've been an LPN for over 40 years now. I am currently doing Home Care and i make 15/hr. What does that say? Horrible!!!

NurseJackie in Southfield, Michigan

2 months ago

ginamarie88 in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida said: I've been an LPN for over 40 years now. I am currently doing Home Care and i make 15/hr. What does that say? Horrible!!!

Don't stay stuck, Gina. Move on... and believe you can do it.

Love and success,

Jackie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

I'd love to know if i am being given misinformation at this home care agency i just started working with. I have had cancellations so far once a week, and they are way less than 24 hr notice cancellations. Today i was on my way to the home, when i got the call that they decided to take my pt. shopping, so please don't come. The agency says there is nothing they can do to compensate me. Is this possible. I know in other states, when there was a less than 24 hr notice of cancellation, you got paid for it. I"m disappointed.

2 months ago

NurseJackie in Southfield, Michigan said: Don't stay stuck, Gina. Move on... and believe you can do it.

Love and success,

Jackie

thanks Jackie, and love and success to you also. I'm a bit old now, so i guess i'll just have to stick it out a bit longer. I never regretted not getting my RN, because i made decent money, and i got good jobs. But that was when i lived in NY and even in Nashvile. Fla just doesn't pay.

2 months ago

Renee Hutchinson in Dayton, Ohio said: Sounds like you are a know it all baffoon!! Be Quiet.. ! B I T C H

Why did you take her so wrong like that and cuss her out? just seems nuts. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NurseJackie in Southfield, Michigan

2 months ago

Gina,

You are welcome. It really is never too late... I got a job as a medical aesthetic nurse after a 15-year absence from nursing and looking every bit my age (I was 48 at the time.) Everyone told me it coudln't be done -- but I didn't listen and I'm so glad I didn't.:) ) Start working on your next move while some money is coming in. Until you do, you will feel hopeless and depressed.

The answer to your legal question is one only a labor lawyer in your state should answer.

Love and success,

Jackie Renaud
Medical Aesthetic Nurse and Nurse Entrepreneur
Learn how to land a job as a MEDICAL AESTHETIC NURSE at support@MedicalAestheticNurse.com The originator of
THE ONLY PROGRAM THAT REVEALS THE TRUTH ABOUT HOW TO GET A JOB AS A MEDICAL AESTHETIC NURSE quickly and inexpensively EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO WORK EXPERIENCE IN BOTOX, DERMAL FILLERS OR LASER TREATMENTS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

BlueEyedNurse in New York, New York said: Why are you thinking of becoming an LPN? What do you think the duties of an LPN are, & what do you want to do as an LPN? Most people become nurses because they want to help people, & the fact of the matter is that when people are sick, they puke, have diarrhea & all kinds of other untoward bodily reactions. It is everybody's "duty" to take care of the patients, no matter what that entails. A nurse deals with sick people, elderly people, all kinds of people. Some of those people need to be washed because they can't do it themselves. If they're constipated, they need an enema. The human body is an amazing thing, but it does all kinds of less-than-wonderful things. The intestines get gas in them from the digestion of foods. The lungs get phlegm in them & people cough that phlegm up in order to clean them. There are urinary catheters, incontinence, NG tubes draining stomach contents. If you walk into a patient's room & see that they have soiled the bed because they are incontinent, you clean them up because you don't want them to lay in their own excrement---you don't walk out & wait for the next person to do it because "it's not your job." Everybody works as a team & duties often overlap. If you want to be an LPN & think you're going to keep your hands clean & not mess up your beautifully manicured acrylic nails, then maybe you should find another profession to go into.

Funny thing is, not so funny, as an LPN, when the RN's encountered all the bodily function messes, they'dd happily leave the room, and call for us to take care of it. So.... yeah, you got better luck being an RN. I did work with a FEW RN's who really cared, and didn't take advantage of the LPN's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.