What is considered a normal Patient:CNA Ratio? I work 24 patients:myself

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 523)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

jlamb in Alamo, Tennessee

48 months ago

wow!! i came on this site looking for the CNA/patient ratio for TN, and couldnt believe how bad some of these people have it. i work second shift and have 18 rsdts to take care of and to me thats just exhausting.. but after readin some of these other comments it dosent seem so bad. but while im here i might as well bring up a subject thats been buggin me here lately it's not a big deal but its been bugging me never the less i need to vent.. ok so we have this DON who has been there two years and she totally shows favortism. like one time we had this nurse who would give a resdnt meds while lying down, the resdt would get strangled.the aide had already told her that she couldnt do that that the rednt was getting choked but it still continued so she went to the DON who just so happened to go to the same church as the nurse and was told that she was just the lowest notch on the todem pole and that the nurse went to school so she knows how to do her job and dosent need to be told how to do it. about 2 weeks later the nurse got fired for giving the rednt someone elses meds. well then we had this aide on second who also goes to the same church that wanted to go to days but we have a "change shift" list and whoever is on the list first well naturally goes first when they have an opening, well the following week she's on days, bumped ahead of all the other cna's who were on the list first, then theres the situation where we had an opening in the beauty shop for and aide, all they do is basically push plp back and forth from their room to the beauty shop and back. maybe wash hair .. if they want but are not required to.. and help feed in the dining room,and is off every weekend and who does the job go to ??.. yet another of her church members. instead of being posted for everyone to have a chance for the job or at least giving it to someone who has had more seniority, this woman had been there less than a year.. how screwed up is that?. and to top that off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jlamb in Alamo, Tennessee

48 months ago

now she has hired her daughter to do our hydration which is to do vitals, feed in the dining room, and pass snacks.. their usual hours are from 4-8 this chick is working from 3-9. whats so unfair about this situation is that one of the other hydration aids asked could she work from 3-8 just to get a couple extra hours on her check and was bluntly told no!! No one will speak up cause lets face it as hard as the job may be we all need one. whoooo!! that's a relief.. i feel better now. THanks for letting me vent :)

becca in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

47 months ago

Gloria in Two Harbors, Minnesota said: We all work damn hard, and it doesn't make it any better getting flak from the people who are supposed to be our "teammates"!

Excellent post, Rena! Well said! Bravo!

Ummm...What's a teammate? :^D

I have 2 current beefs to add to the heap: we now have a new charting system that takes twice as long as the old system & that makes a huge difference on NOCs and we've recently gone through a period of being short on incontinent briefs. A week and a half of scrambling to find any kind of product for the resident to have just so they have something & all the while knowing State could walk in and cite us for having residents in the incorrect product.

We're to wave a magic wand & have everybody 100% continent soasto not need product. People should be as continent horizontal in deep sleep as they are up and awake (and as quick to the bathroom from bed as from wheelchair). We're to hoyer sleeping people into the bathroom every round. Our ratio varies from 1:16 to 1:34 depending on what night it is.

We do not have wet wipes nor access to cloths and towels. There are no soaker pads or chux in the building and we're not allowed to use drawsheets anymore. We've been told that we're using too much soap & lotion and gloves. The supply cabinets look like Mother Hubbard's cupboards. Wet beds are a sign of incompetence.

Morale? Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee................

Yeah, every shift has its pros & cons, but every shift should at least have the necessary stuff to do their jobs as best possible.

i agree with you completely that has been one of my biggest issues since i started as a tech... not enough supplies. Lets be honest how can we give the care needed when we dont have the supplies that are needed for simple care.

47 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: I have never once given the impression that I don't care for CNA's. I simply reminded CNA'S of their role in health care. Again, I will be the first to say the CNA's are the backbone in most facilities. So often they complain of the care they are requested to provide yet, evidently don't realize that is their reason for being hired! CNA's can be certified in as little as three weeks, some classes do not even require a GED or any prior experience.
I visit a variety of forums, because I too was once a CNA and a MA and work with each on a daily basis. Sorry that the truth is hard to hear. On an added note, spelling is not as important as being able to convey your message.

Evidently you dont know why the CNA"S are saying, you are missing the point. we work for our check yes, but at the same time we are expected to give quality care which once again is yes our responsibilty. But at the same time we are expected to take care of to many people with to little supplies to be able to to the quality of care that we prefer to do. Management as well as our RN's want more out of us then what we can physically do with out the right amount of help. And to be down right honest if a nurse would answer a call light once in a while and fill a water picture, place a bedpan, assist to the restroom any small task would be a major help, but No, they just want to add more to you because they dont want to walk down the same hall that they expect you to walk down. Hell I dont know how many times I have answered a call light to have a resident ask me for a pain pill and I go to the nurse, they tell me "I will be there in a minute" Twenty minutes later the light is back on and I go back down to find out they are still waiting on that pain pill. all the while that nurse is talking with the other nurse, taking a smoke break, or just B.S.ing on the phone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Christina in Sacramento, California said: You know, I was considering enrolling in a CNA program at one of the community colleges so I'd stack up on direct patient care experience for Stanford or UC Davis physician assistant programs. From all of the information that has been posted in this forum, I think I'd rather go for medical tech or phlebotomy. This is ridiculous!! I feel for all of those who work in the nursing assistant profession. I don't think this would be a good fit for me bcs I do have the patience for the various complaints that are listed for the little pay that they offer. But, I may still try the program. But, someone has to light the fire to burn the current system down. You have to start a strike or something. No one will hear just a few whimpering voices crying out for help. Your presence has to be felt in order to get what you want; a better work environment. Those RNs and LVNs do it whenever they want a change and they are no better that any of you guys.
I'm just say'n.

ok lets go on strike and oh okay then! doesnt that just make sense heck we dont have enough techs to cover the patient load now so they get okay care and not the best quality, We will just walk out on them so they get no care at all.... Now doesnt that make some kind of sense!

yowordup2010 in Detroit, Michigan

45 months ago

It is a shame how CENA's are overworked and underpaid. This job requires so much of you as a person. It take a very special person indeed to do this job.

kat in Saint John's, Newfoundland

45 months ago

holly in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania said: tomorrow on a holiday no less for day shift..there are seven scheduled cnas ..im laughing already..the scheduler at our facility needs to get her head out of her ass. i am ready to call her up at home and tell her to get her butt in there and start taking some of the residents to the bathroom because what are we going to do? we only had 9 aides today for 112 residents it was really bad..i did not get one single break was not even able to pee. i can't imagine what tomorrow will be like because we are going to be even shorter.

the sad thing is it is the residents that are suffering. and it just breaks my heart because i feel so damn guilty for not getting to them fast enough but try as i might i just can't do everything. 16 to 1 ratio. and the night aide only gets one person up in my section so im pretty much screwed for tomorrow.

we had a general staff meeting on friday and i spoke up about the staffing issues because a few months ago they weren't this bad and the administrator was like i didn't realize they were that bad..i mean cmon..how the hell are you running a facility and not realizing that you don't have enough staff? she was trying to preach to us about a more positive working environment. i said you will not have that untill you do something about staffing.and the biggest issue is they refuse to use any agency aides at all so we are working with almost no help everyday unless people come in on their days off.

our cna union rep is useless. i am going to talk to the department of labor i think. i just found out i passed my state boards for my emt exam so thank god there is an end in sight for me but regardless i still feel horrible for the residents.

It is like this in all government paid nursing homes.When the federal government and most states refuse to make laws for resident to cna ratio,it will only get worse.The bottom line is making money for the board members.That means low staffing.

fed up in Richmond in Richmond, Virginia

45 months ago

becca in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: ok lets go on strike and oh okay then! doesnt that just make sense heck we dont have enough techs to cover the patient load now so they get okay care and not the best quality, We will just walk out on them so they get no care at all.... Now doesnt that make some kind of sense!

Sad to say it will take a drastic move to see changes made you know the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. As long as an ample amount of work is being done and no complaints from the residents or family members there will be no change, board members and owners will continue to get rich at the expense cnas backs.

Deserae in Lincoln Park, Michigan

45 months ago

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Windyville, Missouri said: I cannot believe you think only uneducated people are CNA's,that is so far from the truth.You need to take time in your narrow minded world and visit a nursing home and see what these brainless people go through.It is horrible,and the sad truth,it could be your mother,father or other loved one who is laying in their own waste,drugged so they don't know up from down,yomight just find yourself there one day and i hope you remember this

I agree, it's terrible that people actually think only uneducated people are CNA's. My instructor is actually a very well educated woman with a PHD, and plenty other certifications and CHOOSES to be a CNA in the mean time because she's in it for HEART and not money. She cares about the individual and will do what it takes to make sure they're treated right.

So to say that only uneducated people become CNA's is completely ignorant on your part and you should do some research.

A well know fact, by the way, is that a lot of nursing school students or anyone trying to do ANYTHING in the medical field start out at a CNA level WHILE they are in school to get their foot in the door.

45 months ago

wlc1410@hotmail.com in Windyville, Missouri said: I cannot believe you think only uneducated people are CNA's,that is so far from the truth.You need to take time in your narrow minded world and visit a nursing home and see what these brainless people go through.It is horrible,and the sad truth,it could be your mother,father or other loved one who is laying in their own waste,drugged so they don't know up from down,yomight just find yourself there one day and i hope you remember this

I agree, it's terrible that people actually think only uneducated people are CNA's. My instructor is actually a very well educated woman with a PHD, and plenty other certifications and CHOOSES to be a CNA in the mean time because she's in it for HEART and not money. She cares about the individual and will do what it takes to make sure they're treated right.

So to say that only uneducated people become CNA's is completely ignorant on your part and you should do some research.

A well know fact, by the way, is that a lot of nursing school students or anyone trying to do ANYTHING in the medical field start out at a CNA level WHILE they are in school to get their foot in the door.

45 months ago

45 months ago

becca in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Evidently you dont know why the CNA"S are saying, you are missing the point. we work for our check yes, but at the same time we are expected to give quality care which once again is yes our responsibilty. But at the same time we are expected to take care of to many people with to little supplies to be able to to the quality of care that we prefer to do. Management as well as our RN's want more out of us then what we can physically do with out the right amount of help. And to be down right honest if a nurse would answer a call light once in a while and fill a water picture, place a bedpan, assist to the restroom any small task would be a major help, but No, they just want to add more to you because they dont want to walk down the same hall that they expect you to walk down. Hell I dont know how many times I have answered a call light to have a resident ask me for a pain pill and I go to the nurse, they tell me "I will be there in a minute" Twenty minutes later the light is back on and I go back down to find out they are still waiting on that pain pill. all the while that nurse is talking with the other nurse, taking a smoke break, or just B.S.ing on the phone.

I'm a CNA student right now and I had my first set of clinicals last week. Though there are some great nurses, they come a dime a dozen. I had one sweet lady call me into her room as I was handing out dinner to tell me that she had been waiting for a nurse for over 20 minutes. She had been diagnosed with CHF the day before and was scared to eat. I remembered right before I walked into that hallway seeing the nurses station full of 4 nurses chit chatting. This upset me so I immediately went to my instructor and she said something to the nurses.
It's sad that some people go into this field with no heart. I see some people working with patients that shouldn't work with bricks. This lady had to wait over a half hour to get a nurse in there to eat COLD FOOD.

45 months ago

becca in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Evidently you dont know why the CNA"S are saying, you are missing the point. we work for our check yes, but at the same time we are expected to give quality care which once again is yes our responsibilty. But at the same time we are expected to take care of to many people with to little supplies to be able to to the quality of care that we prefer to do. Management as well as our RN's want more out of us then what we can physically do with out the right amount of help. And to be down right honest if a nurse would answer a call light once in a while and fill a water picture, place a bedpan, assist to the restroom any small task would be a major help, but No, they just want to add more to you because they dont want to walk down the same hall that they expect you to walk down. Hell I dont know how many times I have answered a call light to have a resident ask me for a pain pill and I go to the nurse, they tell me "I will be there in a minute" Twenty minutes later the light is back on and I go back down to find out they are still waiting on that pain pill. all the while that nurse is talking with the other nurse, taking a smoke break, or just B.S.ing on the phone.

I'm a CNA student right now and I had my first set of clinicals last week. Though there are some great nurses, they come a dime a dozen. I had one sweet lady call me into her room as I was handing out dinner to tell me that she had been waiting for a nurse for over 20 minutes. She had been diagnosed with CHF the day before and was scared to eat. I remembered right before I walked into that hallway seeing the nurses station full of 4 nurses chit chatting. This upset me so I immediately went to my instructor and she said something to the nurses.
It's sad that some people go into this field with no heart. I see some people working with patients that shouldn't work with bricks. This lady had to wait over a half hour to get a nurse in there to eat COLD FOOD.

45 months ago

cna in tn in Tennessee

45 months ago

i am a cna in tn at a facility where it seems like everyone has their heads up their a$$. have a b!tch for a DON that used to be a state surveyer and believe me she will not let you forget that and 2 ADON's that all they wanna do is sit in their office and when they do come out, god forbid if they help you answer a call light. i wish i had $20 bucks for every time i have seen a dept head or nurse or anyone walk by a light and not answer it even though they are told it doesn't matter if you are a housekeeper, you can and should answer that light. they say by state mandate that a light is to be answered within 3 minutes after it goes off, but how are 2 cna's that are cleaning up a resident that just made one heck of a mess, suppose to answer that light? especially when you have 28 residents to 2 can's? the night shift only gets up 5 of those 28 and god forbid if they get one extra person up. they expect you to break your back everyday and do all the care that you was trained to do in these classes in an 8 hour shift. well i hate to tell those dang people that teach these classed, but in the real world, it does not happen that way. you barely have time to get them up out of bed and to their meals. and by the time that's done, it's shower time and toileting time, then turn around its another meal time. its a never ending cycle that i barely even get the 15 minute break that i'm allowed to take. the only break i usually get is when i take lunch. i barely have to time to go to the bathroom. being a cna is not just hard work, its extremely hard and it doesn't help when you have to come in and work behind slackers and pick up what they didn't do. i've only done this for a little over a year and i'm already burned out. i come home everyday with my body hurting from my head to my toes cause i bust my butt everyday. i'm just about ready to throw in the towel on this one.....

sue in Warren, Rhode Island

45 months ago

To all the frustrated CNA's, after one year of doing the grunge work in a nursing home there is a better life out there like applying to a hospital where the care and progressive experience is a plus. that is what I did, and all those frustrations are now gone!... You may come home tired, but the satisfaction of care is so much better, along with the education and skills that you will learn not to mention
the uplifting positive feeling you can within yourself. The rules and laws are so much better. The best goal I had was to be within a hospital base facility after one year in a nursing home.

patty in Marysville, Washington

45 months ago

please don't throw in the towel. maybe it is just time to move onto a smaller facility. when you dont feel appreciated is when you want to quit but I tell you it is the people that you care for that appreciate you the most. I have been a CNA for 13 yrs and have had my ups and downs but I have finally found the best place to work!!

sue in Warren, Rhode Island

45 months ago

your absolutely right.. you need to do the research and weed out the bad places and but yourself in the best well over seen organizations.... in order to complete the cause.... good for you

Just Faith in West Palm Beach, Florida

44 months ago

amanda in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: this is sick . something needs to be done . politicians cant keep just passing the buck i cant beleive there aren't laws that prevent as a cna myself i feel like something needs to be done . working conditions are awful and they will only get worse . we need betting working conditions so we can provide better care . the residents pay top dollar and are lucky if they get the bare minimum . it is just sad[/QUOT I MUST SAY I WORKED IN A NURSING HOME WHERE THE HEAD DEPARTMENTS TRUST ME IN TAKING CARE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT PATIENT THEY BRING TO THE WORK PLACE,THEY CHARGE SO MUCH FROM THESE PEOPLE BUT YET PAYS VERY LITTLE FOR ALL THE HARD WORK I DOES,SO I WILL SAY YES ITS HARD ITS UNFAIR BUT I JUST FOCUS ON THE PATIENT FOR THEY REALLY TRUST IN ME TO HELP THEM THOUGH IT HURTS AT THE END OF MY SHIFT I T MAKES ME FEEL SOOOO GOOD TO KNOW I DID MAKE THEM HAPPY,BUT IF I HAVE TO FOCUS FULLY ON THE PAY IT WILL REALLY MAKE MY DAY MISERABLE YES I WILL LOVE TO GET PAY MORE BECAUSE THATS WHY I AM WORKING I HAVE RESPONSIBILITY,BUT WHEN I LOOK AT SOME OF THEM MY HEART GOES OUT TO THEM FOR THEY STILL MENTION OF GOING TO WORK OR SCHOOL,ALL I CAN SAY DO THIS JOB FROM YOUR HEART IF YOU NOT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COPE WITH IT

kat in Seminole, Florida

44 months ago

It is a horrible job.As long as the economy is bad, people will be willing to work this job for low wages and bad working conditions.With corporations taking over nursing homes and ast living, the bottom line is profit.I work in Home Health for $9 hour,the resident pays $20 to the company.In nursing Homes where one CNA has 20-50 residents to care for,she/he will make $8-$14 a hour depending what part of the united states they work.I have noticed in the south that most nursing homes hire majority of minoritys,black,mexican and foriegn born cna's.The government gives tax breaks to hire minoritys and they don't mind working for peanuts.They are taken advantage of.When the economy returns to a healthy state and more jobs,most people will stop getting into CNA jobs and find better jobs.Then who will work this low pay/bad conditions job ? We would be better if the government would pay familys so they could keep their elders at home and hire Home Health.In America we shun and hide those that don't fit in the perfect society image.Elderly,mentally ill,ect.Time to make nursing homes and ast living non-profit only.Those will house the homeless and those unwanted by their familys.The rest will live with family and receive home health 12 to 24 hours a day as needed.The workers will be unionized with starting wages at $14 on up a hour,Plus medical and dental coverage. Two Cna's working in unison for every 12 residents.Right now we are becoming another Mexico.Poverty wages and all our government cares about is making war and making money for it's own members.

1nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

44 months ago

kat in Seminole, Florida said: It is a horrible job.As long as the economy is bad, people will be willing to work this job for low wages and bad working conditions.With corporations taking over nursing homes and ast living, the bottom line is profit.I work in Home Health for $9 hour,the resident pays $20 to the company.In nursing Homes where one CNA has 20-50 residents to care for,she/he will make $8-$14 a hour depending what part of the united states they work.I have noticed in the south that most nursing homes hire majority of minoritys,black,mexican and foriegn born cna's.The government gives tax breaks to hire minoritys and they don't mind working for peanuts.They are taken advantage of.When the economy returns to a healthy state and more jobs,most people will stop getting into CNA jobs and find better jobs.Then who will work this low pay/bad conditions job ? We would be better if the government would pay familys so they could keep their elders at home and hire Home Health.In America we shun and hide those that don't fit in the perfect society image.Elderly,mentally ill,ect.Time to make nursing homes and ast living non-profit only.Those will house the homeless and those unwanted by their familys.The rest will live with family and receive home health 12 to 24 hours a day as needed.The workers will be unionized with starting wages at $14 on up a hour,Plus medical and dental coverage. Two Cna's working in unison for every 12 residents.Right now we are becoming another Mexico.Poverty wages and all our government cares about is making war and making money for it's own members.

Question: If the minorities are working the CNA positions and accepting low pay and bad conditions. Where are you employed? What's you position and pay?

NAD in Burt, Michigan

43 months ago

JUST WONDERING WHAT IS THE STATE OF MICHIGANS TIME TOO WAKE AND GET UP A RESIDENT FOR THE DAY, WHAT TIME CAN YOU START . AND IS IT AGAINST STATE REGULATIONS TOO MAKE CENA WHO WORK MIDNIGHTS TOO WAKE 6 RESIDENT BEFORE 530 AM

Gloria in Ely, Minnesota

43 months ago

NAD in Burt, Michigan said: JUST WONDERING WHAT IS THE STATE OF MICHIGANS TIME TOO WAKE AND GET UP A RESIDENT FOR THE DAY, WHAT TIME CAN YOU START . AND IS IT AGAINST STATE REGULATIONS TOO MAKE CENA WHO WORK MIDNIGHTS TOO WAKE 6 RESIDENT BEFORE 530 AM

Given that most states don't regulate a CNA:Resident ratio, it's highly unlikely that they have regulations about when to & not to get people up for the day. Try calling the state officials who come in to do the yearly inspections or a nursing home Ombudsman.

Most states, like mine, have the facility set their own policies. My facility considers NOCs to be a Monitoring Shift even tho' we must strictly adhere to Toileting Schedules thru the nite. We're also to promote sleep at nite so the policy is that no one gets up before 7:00 AM & no one goes to bed before 8:00 PM. The ONLY exception to this rule is when a resident wants & requests to get up earlier and/or they're a fall risk as they'll try to get themselves up earlier if we don't help them. I can't tell by your post if your residents prefer early get-ups, if they're fall risks, or if a handful of time-consuming non-communicative folks are being gotten up to lighten day shift's load. I can say that in my facility, there is never more than 2 on one unit to get up early with the rare exception of someone going out for treatment/appointment & having an early before-day-shift pick-up time. Otherwise, the NARs would be too tied up & unavailable for answering lights, monitoring, rounds, etc.

I feel for you.

angeleyes20 in Corona, California

43 months ago

when i did my clinicals we woke the residents up at 6:45 a.m and got them ready for the day and different activities and to eat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Somerset, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Gloria in Floodwood, Minnesota said:

From all the responses, all cna's are over worked. Most don't get their meal breaks which is the law. cna ration to patients should be 1:8 and no more. Everyone write your politician and complain.

cna in Ocklawaha, Florida

42 months ago

I've worked long term as well as sub-acute the end result is you go to work, do your job and do it to the best of your ability. I have worked with 2 staff plus 1 nurse on a 60 bed unit with a full house...the nurse had 60 patients. However the facility listed 4 nurses....3 on sub acute...1 on LTC..within legal limits. 4 aides on sub acute also = within legal limits....for those that complain, nursing hours are counted on a 24 hr basis. with the majority of nursing (aides and nurses) on day shift...a bit less on evenings...and bare minimum on nite shift. but it all comes down to the state ratio per 24 hour shift. If you want to complain about care, hours and patients..go to your legislator; nursing hours need to be counted per shift, not a 24 hr period. I often thought that union would be the answer.,,then worked at a union nursing home for $4 less per hour...which lasted 4 shifts..I will say that staffing was excellent, no lifting and pt ratio was wonderful..but union pay in the south is not like union pay in the north. The government needs to change the ratio division. Everyone complains about the job in some way or another, but the bottom line is you do the best that you can do for the patients in your care, it takes compassion and empathy, is nerve wracking and hard on the body..but all will be there one day, wether in a nursing home or not.

cna in Ocklawaha, Florida

42 months ago

LOL...that is true in my facility also, but I have found an answer to that one, everytime I pass the nurses station I ask the nurse did she take care of the patients needs...if it hasn't been done, it will be done at that time....nurses do get involved in chit chat, etc and so on..a stress reliever...cna's do the same thing..it is a necessary part of the job---Yes, CNA's are the backbone of the job, we do the hard work, some of us love the work and wouldnt want to advance our education to be a nurse. Nurses no longer have time to be the patients friend, due to the administrative crap that is thrown down to them. We all have to work together to make a whole and to see that the patients are well cared for and happy.

debbie in East Liverpool, Ohio

42 months ago

Rebecca in Somerset, Pennsylvania said: From all the responses, all cna's are over worked. Most don't get their meal breaks which is the law. cna ration to patients should be 1:8 and no more. Everyone write your politician and complain.

go to Change.org for petition to change patient aid ratio . Tell friends.

socialwkr in Missouri

41 months ago

Rebecca in Somerset, Pennsylvania said: From all the responses, all cna's are over worked. Most don't get their meal breaks which is the law. cna ration to patients should be 1:8 and no more. Everyone write your politician and complain.

Missouri does not have CNA ratios for long-term care facilities either. HOWEVER, The federal guidelines requires that the needs of residents must be met in regards to staffing. I think a big reason why it is hard to define ratios is that higher care needs residents require more staffing than residents who may be more independent with their ADLs.....hard to quantify care needs. As the federal regulations are currently for nursing homes.....meeting the needs.....if for example a facility only has one CNA for 15 residents, but 8 of those residents requires a 2 person hoyer lift transfer, that is a problem. The night shift had to get the residents up at the nursing home I worked at. Residents would have to get up as early as 5am because of this. However, with the culture change movement....and the MDS 3.0 and more CMS emphasis on individualized care and a home like environment, hopefully more positive changes will occur than industrialized care.

uknowthedeal36 in Orient, New York

41 months ago

Doug in Ohio said: It doesn't take much brains to be a nursing assistant. Maybe that's why your stuck in a career with no chance for advancement. Stop complaining a do something about it.

Doug in Ohio said: Actually, I do work in a nursing home and 99% of the CNA's there can't even get into a nursing program because they can't pass the admittance exams. And yes, I do feel sorry for all the old people who lay in their own body fluids because of lazy nursing assistants.

Doug,
I really had to laugh at your ignorant statement. First off I am a NA in a very nice hospital. I assure you , I am far from unedecated, nor am I a NA, because that is all I can do. Some of us NA's are single parents who may have to wait on school untill our children are older. Maybe some can't afford school, some just love patient care. You should not assume the worst about a nursing assistant we all have our reasons. I make pretty good money where I work, and I still get to do patient care with out all the extra paper work, I have great medical, and I am on the commettee at the hospital , and represent just the NA's. I will continue to fight for the patient aide/nurse ratio even when I am no longer an Aide. We cover the nurses butts, as they cover the doctors. everyone needs to learn to be a team. You how ever should not stereo type all aides.
Every one has reasons for the job they do...

sbg in Fayetteville, North Carolina

39 months ago

algia247 said: I had a RN tell me to my face that Mrs. SoandSo need a bed pan and I said wasn't you just in there and she said oh yes but I don't do bed pans and by the time I went in there it was too late the patient had and accident in the bed so I had to help clean the patient up and make a total bed change and the patient was crying and kept telling me she is going to report that nurse and she ask me my name and said she know that I would had got to her in time but she heard all the lights I was answering and she just knew since the RN was in there changeing her IV that she asked her and she walked out the room and never came back. So I gave her a hug and told her I'm very sorry and I will try to work a little faster so maybe I can personally catch her call light. And she said I am still reporting that nurse lol![/QUO

Welcome to the real world of CNAs, We have this policy called "no passing" It is when your going down the hall and a call light comes on, your to answer without going pass the room. Why is it that now most of the lights don't work! A nurse could be right at the door and not answer or decides to stop before getting to the room. So much for not passing! Its great so now I should stop before I get to that room and I don't have to worry about answering the call. This is something I learned from the nurses. (wrong answer) The patient calls the aid for everything even medication, questions about their care and all sorts of thing the aid is not qualified to do. And just tonight I have a nurse to tell me to shut up and called me stupid because she didn't like my answer to her question. :(

Nicole

39 months ago

It took 4 months for me to become certified. I learned EVERTHING from proper ergonomics to proper hygenic care. Yes a lot of cna's complain but the nurses and admin don't care how much you have to do. I NEVER get off on time and sometimes I don't take any breaks just so I can finish on time which never seem to happen because on my afternoon shift the ratio is 1:15 and they are ALL TOTAL CARE except for 1. I am totally for giving quality car but it seems like all that matter is how fast I can clean off bm or do a complete. This is very stressful.

KAT in Seminole, Florida

39 months ago

Nursing Homes are run like factorys.15 to shower,15 min to dress,1 hour or less to feed .The elderly are treated like machine parts on a conveyer belt.The government pays for most elder care ,but cares nothing about them.I am surprised AARP doesn't lobby for better nursing home care.The elderly,The homeless and the poor are considered a drain on the federal/state budget.Useless and worthless.With the country going into a debt bottom,maybe in the future the government will give lethal injections or poison to those that would otherwise be supported by the government.Check out the old 70's movie,Solent Green.WE must inform everyone we meet on conditions in nursing homes and change things for the better.

Chris in Warren, Ohio

38 months ago

I have been an STNA for 22 years. I LOVE taking care of the elderly, I have always been in love with taking care of them. What bothers me, is the nursing homes I have worked for feel it is okay to treat the stna's like we are stupid and don't deserve to be properly staffed. Look...the Patients/Residents DESERVE way better care than what they are getting. Do you think it is fair to make your Mother/Father wait 8 minutes to use the toilet? Do you think it is right to have an stna that is taking care of your loved one rush around taking the chance of getting hurt, or worse...hurt a patient/resident because they are rushing around trying to get the call lights that are going off, or an alarm of a resident that is crawling out of bed that is confused? These things happen! I can't be every where at once...and I am sick of the administrators, and the staffing coordinators think we can operate like we are machines...and treat the people we take care of like THEY are machines. It doesn't work like that...and where is the COMPASSION? I wouldn't be working in this field if I didn't care about the people I take care of...but this has got to stop. When we are short staffed, we don't call anyone in for help, we just work short staffed and work STRESSED OUT all night long, praying noone falls, and noone gets bruised while we are trying to turn them, as fast as we can to make it to the next person. I work nights, I have always worked nights, and where as we don't have meals to deal with and the get ups in the mornings, we have a ton of people that are ALARMS and ALZHIEMER patients that get up in the middle of the night taking the risk of falling. Where are our state laws? Why are we accepting this, and can someone tell me how we can be heard as healthcare workers to make a difference? If enough of us stand together, can we not make a difference? I realize this would take a LOT of people, but do we not need to be heard? Where do I start...I'm sick of the mistreatment of our elderly.

Chris in Warren, Ohio

38 months ago

The elderly DESERVE better! Please....this could be your mother/father/sister/brother that I am taking care of. We need to change the way these nursing homes staff. We depend on these homes to care for our loved ones, and we want to believe they are doing the very best, but reality is, its not happening in most nursing homes. It's ashame to see people suffer this way, and I for one am tired of standing by allowing it to happen when there is a state department out there that should be following up on these homes and ensuring they are being staffed properly. Whos is failing these nursing homes? Who is to blame? Someone needs to answer for the mistreatment of these elderly people, and stop blaming the STNA's that take care of them...we are caring people that are there helping your loved one, we are short staffed, and can only do what we can do.

Chris in Warren, Ohio

38 months ago

We CNA's know our job, we know we are "low" on the totem pole, however we are basically complaining of taking care of TOO MANY patients at once. THAT is our biggest complaint. 16 patients is too many. Period. It needs to be changed and updated and we know these patients better than the nurses, we know when their blood sugar is going too high...too low. We know when their oxygen level is decreasing, we know when they are dehydrated, we know when they are getting ready to stroke out, we know when they have a UTI! We see them all the time, we care for them constantly day in and day out, so we know the behavior changes mean something. WE are important....but we can't do our job properly without the proper staffing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Warren, Ohio

38 months ago

Chris in Warren, Ohio said: We CNA's know our job, we know we are "low" on the totem pole, however we are basically complaining of taking care of TOO MANY patients at once. THAT is our biggest complaint. 16 patients is too many. Period. It needs to be changed and updated and we know these patients better than the nurses, we know when their blood sugar is going too high...too low. We know when their oxygen level is decreasing, we know when they are dehydrated, we know when they are getting ready to stroke out, we know when they have a UTI! We see them all the time, we care for them constantly day in and day out, so we know the behavior changes mean something. WE are important....but we can't do our job properly without the proper staffing.

And Becca??? Well said. :)

Nicole

38 months ago

No one really cares. I work the am shift and I treat them (hygenically) as I would myself and my babies. However these lousy dogs told me that I was "taking too long" giving personal care. They just want me to swipe but and put on clothes, no water on face hands butt or teeth brushing. I hate nursing homes and I honestly hate the people who condone crappy care. It is stressful and I hope they're put somewhere where their tail isn't washed accept for once a week correctly. As a CENA you can only do your personal best.

KAT in Seminole, Florida

38 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

Guess what ,it will only get worse.I have had 50 residents to care for on a 7am-11pm shift in a nursing home,working for min wage in okla.Most states have no laws concerning ratio.The government is going broke with cutbacks on schools and elder care.I feel in 20 years the money will stop and NH will no longer exist.People will take care of their own at home or 50% of the population will be homeless and dying on the streets.Maybe it is time to move to Canada.In Chickasha,okla they fired all the school principles to save money.Many states are increasing class size and firing teachers.The government doesn't care about children or elderly,because they can't pay millions in taxes.Big changes coming in the future.The weather patterns have changed due to global warming,creating cooler climates worldwide,more storms,more snow.Time to take care of our own familys.Pull our money together,buy a large house and have a garden.I see the clues.Do you? I am in florida now.Most jobs here are min wage or close to it.Rents are getting beyond our wage level.We must live like those from 3rd world countrys with 3 generations living together and helping each other.Time to take back control of our government and make lobbyist illegal.

Chris in Warren, Ohio

38 months ago

Nicole said: No one really cares. I work the am shift and I treat them (hygenically) as I would myself and my babies. However these lousy dogs told me that I was "taking too long" giving personal care. They just want me to swipe but and put on clothes, no water on face hands butt or teeth brushing. I hate nursing homes and I honestly hate the people who condone crappy care. It is stressful and I hope they're put somewhere where their tail isn't washed accept for once a week correctly. As a CENA you can only do your personal best.

Your right. No one with the ability to change things cares. That is what saddens me. And taking too long to care for someone that needs the time spent on them that makes them feel like someone cares, well....if we keep treating our elderly like machines that need tuned, I guess upper management will be happy, because they are getting the "work" done in a timely manner....maybe the emotional side of it is lacking, but hey...the physical part is done and management gets paid. ::sighs:: Good point.

Nicole

38 months ago

Exactly, they only care about quantity and not quality.

socialwkr in Missouri

38 months ago

Chris in Warren, Ohio said: The elderly DESERVE better! Please....this could be your mother/father/sister/brother that I am taking care of. We need to change the way these nursing homes staff. We depend on these homes to care for our loved ones, and we want to believe they are doing the very best, but reality is, its not happening in most nursing homes. It's ashame to see people suffer this way, and I for one am tired of standing by allowing it to happen when there is a state department out there that should be following up on these homes and ensuring they are being staffed properly. Whos is failing these nursing homes? Who is to blame? Someone needs to answer for the mistreatment of these elderly people, and stop blaming the STNA's that take care of them...we are caring people that are there helping your loved one, we are short staffed, and can only do what we can do.

It is a shame, I agree......Sad to say, I think all of us are to blame.

The people who have the ability to change things are all of us. I think we have relied too much on "others", but "others" are not "us". Meaning most of your state legislators have no clue what you do and how hard you work because CNA's and the public aren't emailing/calling or writing them. This is why lobbying is so important. We can make change, no matter who we are. Legislators do get involved when their constituents take a stand. Remember, our government is for the people by the people. If a legislator gets hundreds of emails and calls from the people who vote for him/her about an issue...they do take notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NAD in Goodrich, Michigan

38 months ago

YOU Could Look it up under where you recieved Your cena cert. Or You can Call the state abunsman #. And ask questions. If you cant get a answer call lansing.

KAT in Seminole, Florida

38 months ago

Bev in Memphis, Tennessee said: On my job they are telling us it is okay to work 24 patients to one Cna, somehow I think this is very unfair to both patients and the night Cna's...by the way I am on the night shift. By the end of my shift I am really exhausted and have to take 2 tylenols for back releif regardless or proper body mechanics I enforced during rounds. Oh yeah and then they would like for us to wash wheelchairs and pass ice regardless of shortage and get up atleast 2 people for the morning shift....Is it just me...Or Isn't this a bit much...Surely there should be a set of "bylaws" to cover this occurrence.

I just heard from AARP that the government is lowering standards for nursing homes.So expect worse soon.

cujobuster@hotmail.com in Belleview, Florida

38 months ago

I have never heard of working more than 20 pts on a regular basis...short staffed perhaps, but that is the exception....hoever, I have worked on a 60 bed unit with 2 cna's myself included...but no get ups......ps...sorry day shift!

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Cocoa, Florida

38 months ago

that seems to be your fault for not contacting the labor and wages board in your state,noone should never have to care for any more then 8 patients at a time,this makes it unsafe as hell to the patient and to the CNA.write to your congressman maybe if other CNA'S would stand up for there selfs something could get done,but every body is job scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38 months ago

You are so right there....we put up with the short staffing, the lack of time for proper patient care...the complaints...the me nurse you peon attitude....but the labor board wont do anything, management looks for there bonus checks, the state doesnt really care....it is all about the bottom line...how much money can the nh make and still pass the state exam...right...nurses are trained as cna's as well as passing pills....do they help with call lights? some do, but then they gripe about it! and it doesnt matter how good or caring the nurse is, they feel resentment towards cna's for putting them into a patient care position....not all of them...but the greater majority...in my facility when the "window is open" for state inspection...we work our butts off making sure everything is perfect...when state shows up....lmao....all of the management types come out of the woodwork, you would swear that management changes diapers....lol...but and a big BUT....once state is gone....they crawl back into the woodwork, supplies disappear...care decreases, go back to under staffed....but it is a job, you try to do your best with the time you have....and give the best care possible under the circumstances....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Cocoa, Florida

38 months ago

it has just turned me against being a cna,no money in it,and i use to go home feeling like crap ,because i felt like i did not do my job as well as i could had!

38 months ago

carmon in Lincolnton, North Carolina said: I agree. Im only 19 years old and im already starting to have back pain. i work the night shift and in the morning i have 17 people to get up and dressed. of course there's another cna, but that's still 8 people a piece. there's 3 cna's on first and they have 6 people to get up?!?!? but what can i do? ..... and by the way does anyone have any tips on backache, i try good body mechanics, but sometimes you just cant lift with your legs..... thanks.

LOL....TAKE 2 IBUPROFEN AND 1 500MG TYLENOL....WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

38 months ago

sherri of cocoa,fl. in Cocoa, Florida said: it has just turned me against being a cna,no money in it,and i use to go home feeling like crap ,because i felt like i did not do my job as well as i could had!

There is one thing about being a CNA....in this economy, you never have to worry about getting a job...they are always out there.....yes the pay is lower than we like for the work that we do...but, the patient is what it is all about....it is the best feeling in the world to have a patient say, that she loves you, you are the one she wants all the time.....I have one of those...in a way she is a real PIA....but....I love her to death, respect her and care for her....it is such a good feeling...fills your heart with warm cuddles...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.