Advice for refocusing my professional career back to my educational degrees.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Steven

61 months ago

Hi everyone,

Like many people my first few jobs have little connection to my degrees, but I am wanting to refocus to healthcare admin. I have a masters in Public Admin with an additional certificate in Healthcare Admin. I have a second masters in Industrial Relations and finally my bach in Economics.
I have been working in the private sector for about 5 years, first in medical sales and now in an Account Executive position. This position does parellel many jobs in admin such as forecasting, expenses, patient assistance, constant education of staff, contracting arrangements and agreements, etc.

I am looking for direction and advice on what would be the best approach to get start a career in healthcare admin. Any advice would be greatly appricated and thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Woodbridge, Virginia

61 months ago

we'll first of all health care is one of the leading industries for hire you'll have a pretty good success rate at acquiring a position. as far as starting a career in healthcare administration your best approach would be to find health care companies who are hiring and sell them your resume. You have an amazing eduaction background, this advantage will get you in an entry level position with no problem, not to menchon you have some work experience in the field as well. Your resume is key and I would recommend that you perfect that first before anything else. Getting to know people in theindustry is also a valuable way to start your career. Networking with those who are doing it can not only advice you but can get you in a great company. Getting in is what you should be worried about and these ways should help you greatly. Good luck!

stephanie

61 months ago

I have a weird question: I am diabetic and suffering from neuropathy I am seriously considering changing majors since I know I may be unable to walk in a couple years. I would love to still be in the health care industry. I am now majoring in Occupational Therapy. Can anyone shed any light on what they think about my dilema and if it would be a wise choice? Thank You

Brieanna Henderson in Oceanside, California

53 months ago

stephanie said: I have a weird question: I am diabetic and suffering from neuropathy I am seriously considering changing majors since I know I may be unable to walk in a couple years. I would love to still be in the health care industry. I am now majoring in Occupational Therapy. Can anyone shed any light on what they think about my dilema and if it would be a wise choice? Thank You

Wow Stephanie,
You sound like a tough cookie! I have family that is in rehabilitation departments and that job is so tough on their body because you are constantly supporting and guiding their actions with your own body. If you really want to stay in direct patient care I could see many of the tasks done by speech therapists done from a wheelchair and the money they make is just as good. If you are not super attached to direct patient care you may consider a Nursing Home Administrator. You must still have a degree and additional training but the money is just as good if not better than therapists salary. I hope this helps you and many blessings to you in all your endeavors!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.