Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 334)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most nursing home administrator opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

rob r in Hicksville, NY

97 months ago

i cant find a job with masters and nursing home licence

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Matt Maupin in Fort Wayne, Indiana

90 months ago

Nursing Home Administrator jobs are in an interesting place. Successful industry professionals have all networked through 21st century technology and it's hard to find a place in a given state where you don't have a recognizable name within five years. That can be good or bad depending on your reputation.

Opportunities are out there. It isn't the field people projected it to be ten years ago (Baby Boomers have more options than we were projecting in the '90s) but as culture change takes hold, there will be various choices for qualified directors and administrators.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Ashland, Kentucky

89 months ago

rob r in Hicksville, NY said: i cant find a job with masters and nursing home licence

I have a double bachelors and Licensed in OH for nursing home administrator but I can't find a job either. Everyone wants two years experience but how can you get two years experience if no one will hire you. I even have a GPA of 3.8. I would settle for assistant administrator job or even paid AIT. I have health care experience in the hospital and nursing home in the past. It seems you must know someone to get your foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida

89 months ago

It's more on how you get your foot in the door. I'm a recruiter and you have to realize that most organizations are dealing many appliants with means you are typically going through a HR person who's reveiwing applicants to see if they are meeting the minimum qualifications that they have been presented with. Many times an employer will ask for the moon which they will never get. The best way is to try to get to the hiring authority. If you need help we can help you. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Ashland, Kentucky

89 months ago

Yes I could use your help. Just let me know what you will need and I will supply it. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Sned me your resume and then I'll call you. Send resume by email to BDuncan@MarshallMontana.com or Fax toll-free 1-877-765-8456. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Delbert Roe in Orange Park, Florida

89 months ago

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida said: Looking for two Nursing Home Admiistrators in South Georgia near the Florida line. Pay from $70,000 to over $100,000.

I live near the state line in Fernandina Beach, and I could commute to some locations in GA. I have a BBA, an MS in Health Care Admin. and current NHA license in Florida and Texas. Call me at 904-491-1396 if you have more information for me. Delbert Roe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Peter F

88 months ago

I am a experienced Administrator in the Buffalo area in New York looking for a nursing facility. I have 7 years experience. It has been two months and I cannot find anything. Can someone help?

andrea in Kissimmee, Florida

88 months ago

I have a BSc degree in Healthcare administrationa, just got accepted to a MHSA program in Florida and I am trying to get into a AIT program but I have sent out approx 40 applications and noone seems to be able tp oint me in right direction. What am I doing wrong

88 months ago

Give me a call at toll free 1-800-679-1782 ext. 337 and let's discuss...thanks

88 months ago

Peter F said: I am a experienced Administrator in the Buffalo area in New York looking for a nursing facility. I have 7 years experience. It has been two months and I cannot find anything. Can someone help?

Give me a call at toll-free 1-800-679-1782 ext. 337 and let's disucss...thanks

Kristina in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most nursing home administrator opportunities?

There are plenty of administrator positions out there... unfortunately, for a newly licensed administrator it is almost impossible to find a facility. Almost 100% of the facilities that are posted are looking for someone with experience.

It is back to the old question... how is one to have experience if no one hires them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl

87 months ago

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida said: It's more on how you get your foot in the door. I'm a recruiter and you have to realize that most organizations are dealing many appliants with means you are typically going through a HR person who's reveiwing applicants to see if they are meeting the minimum qualifications that they have been presented with. Many times an employer will ask for the moon which they will never get. The best way is to try to get to the hiring authority. If you need help we can help you. Thanks

Do you extend your services to Oklahoma?

Tyrone in Collegedale, Tennessee

87 months ago

Hi,
I finished my Nursing Home Administrator courses last year. I need an internship as Nursing Home Administrator. I have been searching for a year now and still no luck. I would love for someone to help me fine an internship in NY. I need to complete my internship in order to graduate. Thank You please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Ironton, Ohio

87 months ago

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida said: It's more on how you get your foot in the door. I'm a recruiter and you have to realize that most organizations are dealing many appliants with means you are typically going through a HR person who's reveiwing applicants to see if they are meeting the minimum qualifications that they have been presented with. Many times an employer will ask for the moon which they will never get. The best way is to try to get to the hiring authority. If you need help we can help you. Thanks

Yes, I could use some help. How do I get in contact with you?

87 months ago

Contact me at 1-800-679-1783 ext. 137 or at bduncan@marshallmontana.com

87 months ago

Out recriters cover the entire country.

Cheryl

87 months ago

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida said: Out recriters cover the entire country.

Who would I need to contact for assistance in finding a administrators job in Ok or Texas?

Lavern Deer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

86 months ago

Hi Mr Duncan

I recently graduated June 07, I have over seven years healthcare management experience in the largest pediatric group in south Florida, however my long term goal is to one day own my own long term care facility. I now have my bachelors degree in healthcare administration, I would like to start gaining some experience in geriatrics as an administrator, can you help me?

Lavern Deer
786-417-1225

robert r in Holbrook, New York

86 months ago

I would like for you to email me about employment opportunities
robert
magadan@optonline.net

86 months ago

Contact me directly at 1-800-679-1782 x337 or email at bduncan@marshallmontana.com

Elaine deGuino in Jacksonville, Florida

86 months ago

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida said: Looking for two Nursing Home Admiistrators in South Georgia near the Florida line. Pay from $70,000 to over $100,000.

I'm a newly licensed NHA (Florida).
I've been in the LTC field as a DON for several years.
Please contact me.
Thanks.
904-294-6880

Elaine deGuino in Jacksonville, Florida

86 months ago

andrea in Kissimmee, Florida said: I have a BSc degree in Healthcare administrationa, just got accepted to a MHSA program in Florida and I am trying to get into a AIT program but I have sent out approx 40 applications and noone seems to be able tp oint me in right direction. What am I doing wrong

Try John Simmons with Macclenny Nursing and Rehab, Macclenny Florida. I believe their AIT has recently completed the program and he may possibly be seeking or may be willing to give you some suggestions.

Susan Davey in San Marcos, Texas

86 months ago

Have you filled your job openings yet? If not, please forward your email address to me at skdisme@yahoo.com. Thank you.

86 months ago

I am newly licensed Nursing Home Administrator with over 20 years of experience as a Professional Administrator at a University of over 5.5 million square feet. I would like to change careers. Please let me know if you are still looking to fill one of your open positions. Thank you.

86 months ago

Email is bduncan@marshallmontana.com

Ben hanlon

86 months ago

First you need to study the company and ask about there policies and procedures when you interview. You also need to be familiar with LSC and regulatory federal and state requirements. Whos going to be the D.O.N., B.O.M., Whats their job descrption and tenior if any with the company. Be able to talk about TILES,MDS, MARS,TARS,2567's,OSCAR Reports, default days,EBADARM,PPD's, Q.A'S,I.J.'s, F-tags and most important Resident Care. This is just the tip of the ice burg of what you need to know if you want to get that Administrators job that has experience. Someone believed in me about 12 years ago and I learn somthing new every day.

Good Luck!
Ben Hanlon, LNFA,AA,BA, Ph.D.
Texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leroy in West Chester, Ohio

86 months ago

If you're having trouble getting a job, remember, use any and all contacts from your work life, your school, your spouse's contacts, etc. I got my license in March and a had a job in May. My spouse mentioned my degree and LNHA to someone at work who knew the DON at a facility who ended up referring me.....A little maturity can't hurt either, I'm definitely over 40...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tamiko Johns in Orlando, Florida

85 months ago

Bill Duncan in Tallahassee, Florida said: Sned me your resume and then I'll call you. Send resume by email to BDuncan@MarshallMontana.com or Fax toll-free 1-877-765-8456. Thanks

Bill I would like to know if there is anyway that you can assist me. I have four years long term care experience, B.S. in health services administration and currently working on my master's degree. please let me know if you can help. T.J. Williams from Orlando, Florida

Tamiko Johns in Orlando, Florida

85 months ago

Lavern Deer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hi Mr Duncan

I recently graduated June 07, I have over seven years healthcare management experience in the largest pediatric group in south Florida, however my long term goal is to one day own my own long term care facility. I now have my bachelors degree in healthcare administration, I would like to start gaining some experience in geriatrics as an administrator, can you help me?

Lavern Deer
786-417-1225

Hi Lavern,
You and I have the same goal. I wish is to own a nursing home. I absolutely love working with elderly people. My bachelors is in healthcare administration also. I'm currently trying to get inot an AIT program. Maybe we can trade ideas and information. Best of luck to you. Feel free to email at anytime with suggestions or any type of information.
Tamiko Johns
tjohns78@earthlink.net

LAURA in Garland, North Carolina

85 months ago

LOOKING FOR A NHA POSITION IN SOUTHEAST GA. HAVE EXPERIENCE

gary in Poplar Grove, Illinois

85 months ago

Seems to me that only experienced administrators have opportunites for employment. college training does not seem useful as an entry point to this career. I have two masters degress, on in Public health, another in Business. Neither is prior management experience in other fields. Position advertised as AIT seems to be the only entry point, but there are now many of them. Any body have an idea that might help?

Optimistic in Wimberley, Texas

85 months ago

There are Assistant Administrator jobs available; I have seen some advertised for Michigan and Ohio which may not be someone's dream date, but they are a job for the time being and a foot in the door. I would be happy with assistant administrator for a while, one never knows when the Administrator may decide to leave or an opening in the company in another facility would be offered. From what I have observed, there could be hundreds of Administrator jobs open at any one time, with about 20% of the total Administrators jumping from job to job continually, which may give HR managers the idea that there are great administrators out there for the grabbing; I believe that some of the job jumpers are probably not the best employees and that very few really good administrators change jobs very often. More than likely there are some companies have been burned by hiring only the well experienced employees and they may be skittish about hiring anyone "new." After all, if seasoned employees are hired and don't work out, the "new" employee may be a worse gamble. I like being new, that means that most bad habits are not yet ingrained and we "newbies" are more than likely going to run someone elses business the way they want their business run. Keep your chin up, keep looking, keep applying, sooner or later someone will notice us and our persistence will pay off.

gary in Hustisford, Wisconsin

85 months ago

How long is reasonable to wait? that's the question. One can be persistent to a fault.

Kristina in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

I would like to know that same question.

Tammy in Sumter, South Carolina

85 months ago

I would like to work 6-12 months as an assistive administrator to ensure I learned all the ropes. Plus that would allow me to go through at least one survey.

85 months ago

There appears to be a high turn over in Nursing Home Administrators for a number of reasons, and wall these are from a large number of NHA's.

1. The NHA is burned out and wants to try someting else.
2. The NHA does not get the support needed at the corporate level to maintain a Nursing Home at the highest level of quality.
3. Reimbursment is getting lower therefore cost factors are a playing a role where some NHA's can't get the resources to maintian a facility or hire the necessary staff, so they get fed up and move on. This also cauases some inspections problems and the NHA doesn't want his name attached to these issues since it's their license.
4. A lot of instability in the market with nursing homes being sold and bought including the for-profit chains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan Davey in Rural, Texas

85 months ago

Perhaps our very best opportunity is one that we make for ourselves. I am thinking about purchasing property, writing a business plan and going for it on my own. We all have good educations, perhaps this is a way for the "Powers That Be" to encourage us to step up on our own behalf instead of relying on someone else to employ us. Keep searching for opportunities, the right one will be there sooner than you think. Keep your chin up...

85 months ago

I would love to start my own business but unforunately I am not where I can afford my own business and I must rely on others for employment. But, I am keeping my chin up and continue to pray the right position will come.

gary in Eldridge, Iowa

85 months ago

Terri in Ashland, Kentucky said: I have a double bachelors and Licensed in OH for nursing home administrator but I can't find a job either. Everyone wants two years experience but how can you get two years experience if no one will hire you. I even have a GPA of 3.8. I would settle for assistant administrator job or even paid AIT. I have health care experience in the hospital and nursing home in the past. It seems you must know someone to get your foot in the door.

I have a double masters in Public Health and an MBA, 3 state licenses and audit experience. I am having the same experience. Its wierd to see many many jobs in this business, some advertised for long periods of time, but no room for rookies at any price.

Keith Schnier in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Oakwood Nursing Center in Ocala, FL is looking for an NHA. This building would be a good fit for a new administrator with great potential. See the Jobs Board on FHCA.ORG and let me know of your interest. Keith Schnier, kschnier@sterling-health.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FHCA

84 months ago

Mate I tell you its going to be harder and hardest to get an intersship. My advice is to look at the fhca website and go through the directory.

KEN

84 months ago

I have found the a magic key to getting job interviews. I recieved a great letter of recommendation from the Administrator of the facility where I completed my Administrator in Training work, and forwarded that letter via email directly to the recruiters working for the nursing home companies that I am interested in working for. I found the corporate websites for Nursing Homes that are located in the area where I am interested in working, and I now have two interviews set for up next week. This is why it is absolutely imperative that our AIT time is spent only with reputable facilities with the best Administrators possible. When looking for an AIT position I checked with the University I attended and asked for the name of the best Administrator they knew, and luckily for me, he agreed to allow me to be work for him (unpaid). I learned allot about the value of community service during my internship. I will keep you posted...

84 months ago

Susan Davey in San Marcos, Texas said: I have found the a magic key to getting job interviews. I recieved a great letter of recommendation from the Administrator of the facility where I completed my Administrator in Training work, and forwarded that letter via email directly to the recruiters working for the nursing home companies that I am interested in working for. I found the corporate websites for Nursing Homes that are located in the area where I am interested in working, and I now have two interviews set for up next week. This is why it is absolutely imperative that our AIT time is spent only with reputable facilities with the best Administrators possible. When looking for an AIT position I checked with the University I attended and asked for the name of the best Administrator they knew, and luckily for me, he agreed to allow me to be work for him (unpaid). I learned allot about the value of community service during my internship. I will keep you posted...

I think that is great news Susan. I wish you the best of luck with your interviews. My only problem is that I did not attend an AIT program. But, this is great information for those that did have the program. I know you will get one of the jobs. You have a lot of experience. Good Luck, my prayers are with you.

Courtney in Nashville, Tennessee

84 months ago

I am looking for a AIT program. Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions? If so the information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

John J in Raleigh, North Carolina

84 months ago

I have three degrees, a RRT, RN, BS and a LNHA. Have been a DON in LTC for 8 yrs. An Administrator in LTC for 7 years. My last company sold 20 plus buildings and I got downsized. I know the market and am in touch daily or weekly with many folks in the industry I know. The field is flooded with folks who are not in it to care for the elderly and who don't have a clue regarding running a business or maintaining regulatory compliance. As an interim I am just waiting for a position to open with a good company. Someone will screw up or get fed up. It happens every week. Good luck to those who have the passion to care and make a difference.

SKD in San Marcos, Texas

84 months ago

I do have the passion for caring for the elderly, that is what makes me continually apply for jobs, and why I earned a degre in Long Term Care Administration from one of the top Universities in the nation. I truly believe in a higher power, and know that eventually we will all be selected for just the right position. I believe that the recruiters and employers know who the repeat-offenders are, don't worry about them, they will either get themselves together or drop out of the race for one reason for another. Let's try to stay upbeat and keep our eyes on the sky, someone will notice us and hire each of us, it sounds like you have a great background, don't give up! I spend allot of time looking for a job in LTC, I never thought it would be easy, competition for high and not so high paying jobs is very competetive. Keep try to look at the bright side, perhaps we are all being spared from taking the wrong job.

Jamila in Chattanooga, Tennessee

84 months ago

Courtney in Nashville, Tennessee said: I am looking for a AIT program. Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions? If so the information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Courtney,

Have you tried NHC, national healthcare, in Murfreesboro TN. Chris West is the person that interviews the AITs. It is a two year program however you must be willing to relocate anywhere in the US. Here is the website with more information on it, www.nhccare.com/jobs.cfm
Good Luck and I hope you this works out for you.

Peter F

84 months ago

Try Golden Living Center as they are always looking for AIT and training.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.