Interim Nursing Home Administrator Career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Lance Michaels in Lansing, Michigan

64 months ago

Does anybody have any advice about making a career out of interim assignments? with 18 years experience as an administrator, mostly in turnaround situations, I have found the most rewarding experiences to be restoring facilities to survey compliance and profitabilty; increasing census and mix; stabilizing staffing; and restoring resident, family, and community faith and respect for troubled homes: fixing the broken.

I am happy with my current permanent assignment, but curious about the whole interim work concept. Is there enough demand to maintain steady income? What questions should I be asking otherwise?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JFG in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

The short answer to your question is no. Unfortunately, interim assignments require the same amount of interviewing that a long-term assignment requires. Therefore, while you are working in one position, you have to always be ready for the next position - by starting the interview process. There is never a set time, even though the employment entity may designate such. Meanwhile, you never know where you'll be and when you'll be there. If you are unemployed, related to the massive turnaround figures in this industry, an interim opportunity may be right for your to gather your thoughts and prepare for the interviewing opportunity that you will encounter shortly.

In response to the turnaround management question, there is always a need for such professionals. As a piece of advice on this, you'll need to find a set management group to work with - not only related to amount of effort, but also the marketing to constantly move to the next destination. This is not something you want to advertise and do alone. It takes a tremendous amount of work and manpower to turn around facilities - especially with the time limits these facilities are allotted to do such turnaround.

I wish you well and would give the advice to stay in a long-term position, unless you are willing to accomplish the above. Have a great new year!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

restlessintexas in Plainview, Texas

62 months ago

Its so interesting to read the variety of answers on this forum. I too have many years experience (20) and now find myslef wanting to perhaps do Interim work. My problem is I can't find the desirable place to live. I'm single, no children and basically few family members. So moving around isn't a big deal to me. Nursing Home companies are so picky when it comes to interviewing. But seem to create this revolving door situation themselves.

I know several administrators who do Interim work. If you are felxible there's plenty of work out there. Once word gets around about you, you'll have job assignments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gary Heinrich in New Holland, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

I have been doing consulting and interim work for about 6 years now. This field can be very rewarding as many of the buildings I have helped have needed some serious attention. The pay is very good but here are the down sides: It takes some time to become established and for folks in the field to know you. Be prepared for some times in between work to be hungry. Up to one year ago I hardly had to make phone calls. Now it seems all administrators and management staff are clinging to their positions very tightly. With the change in our country cash flow folks are not leaving their positions so it really puts a squeeze on interim work. I have up to 5 other folks last year who I had contracted out for NHA and DON work. This year there has been very little work and I am actually considering taking a perm job again. Folks, if you are considering this type of work be sure you are in a financial position to wait out some seasons of slow work flow. If that can work for you it can be alot of fun and rewarding. Also plan to work very hard and please don't do this work if you just want to sit around. These buildings usually need someone to care about the staff even if you are just there for a shorter period you can make a significant difference if you really give it your all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ginger Porter in Jacksonville, Florida

52 months ago

How many years experience is needed to do interim work?

A. Ennis in Salisbury, North Carolina

51 months ago

How is the pay handled? Is it higher than the permanent position pays and does the company pay for the interim living arrangements or does that come from a higher pay for interim?

tt in Northridge, California

50 months ago

I live in california. Would you please let me know in order to get a intrime position, what are the eligibilities?
I passed both exams and having a hard time to find a job since everyone is looking for 3 to 5 years experience.
Thanks

Gary Heinrich in New Holland, Pennsylvania said: I have been doing
consulting and interim work for about 6 years now. This field can be very rewarding as many of the buildings I have helped have needed some serious attention. The pay is very good but here are the down sides: It takes some time to become established and for folks in the field to know you. Be prepared for some times in between work to be hungry. Up to one year ago I hardly had to make phone calls. Now it seems all administrators and management staff are clinging to their positions very tightly. With the change in our country cash flow folks are not leaving their positions so it really puts a squeeze on interim work. I have up to 5 other folks last year who I had contracted out for NHA and DON work. This year there has been very little work and I am actually considering taking a perm job again. Folks, if you are considering this type of work be sure you are in a financial position to wait out some seasons of slow work flow. If that can work for you it can be alot of fun and rewarding. Also plan to work very hard and please don't do this work if you just want to sit around. These buildings usually need someone to care about the staff even if you are just there for a shorter period you can make a significant difference if you really give it your all.

Gary Heinrich in Leola, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

You will most likely need to see what you can do to get in a door. When I gratuated with an MBA I thought for sure everyone was going to want me. I was wrong and it seemed I had to knock on a hundred fifty doors. But I did not give up and finally a door opened. You may need to consider giving yourself away to get the training or go in as a housekeeping person or in a position that begins to build your value in the employers eyes. Some companies have AIT programs but the competition is very tough and withour experience it will be near impossible to go that route. Somewhere you need to get an open postion, move into it, and prove yourself. Don't give up!!! You will land soon enough!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Regina Johnson in Cleveland, Ohio

50 months ago

HI Guys, I am back, I still have not found anyone to give me an opportunity to utilize my license. As a new administrator and no experience it is very hard to get a first job. Now it is time to renew my license, I have been renewing my license for 4 years now it gets very costly, especially if you are not working in your field. I hav an Ohio license if anyone can help me Please do . Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandra

43 months ago

Maryland state exam ~ anyone have any study materials or suggestions?

asinowitz

43 months ago

Sandra said: Maryland state exam ~ anyone have any study materials or suggestions?

Sandra The only way to study for the Maryland exam is download the 500 plus pages of the health code and study those pages. I think it ridiculous what the board of licensure puts you through but the ball is in their court Good luck

Davis in Springboro, Ohio

41 months ago

Hi all-
I having been working in the nursing home environment for 15 years and have received my degree in health care admin. I have worked in various postions through my nursing home experience from and STNA to the business office manager now I want to find a AIT program and become a LNHA. Can anyone tell me if I might have a hard time finding a job? And another thing I want to move to another state should I wait and get my license first then move or move and try and get the license transfered. I would be moving from Ohio to Maryland, If anyone has any insight on these question please let me know. Thanks

Janet in Jacksonville, Florida

41 months ago

You shouldn't have any problem. The burn out rate for NHA's is high so jobs are always available. Be careful though as to what building they put you in. If it is a bldg that is on a nursing home watch list avoid it. Sometimes they throw in new Admins and then they find their licensure at risk. As for licensure I would check out the specific state and see what you need to do to acquire the license there before moving. Some states have stricter requirements. Some states only require a test but how long will that test take? I never move without a job in place. Some jobs will hire you and give you a set amount of time to acquire the licensure but don't count on this as a newbie. They usually save these kinds of jobs for obtaining NHA's with long experience. Good luck.

juliediehl75@gmail.com in Castle Rock, Colorado

36 months ago

restlessintexas in Plainview, Texas said: Its so interesting to read the variety of answers on this forum. I too have many years experience (20) and now find myslef wanting to perhaps do Interim work. My problem is I can't find the desirable place to live. I'm single, no children and basically few family members. So moving around isn't a big deal to me. Nursing Home companies are so picky when it comes to interviewing. But seem to create this revolving door situation themselves.

I know several administrators who do Interim work. If you are felxible there's plenty of work out there. Once word gets around about you, you'll have job assignments.

Restless in Texas - Will you share your contact information with me? I am wanting to identify interim NHA candidates for Western Kansas.

David Burke in Muleshoe, Texas

34 months ago

Looking for an interim Administrator are you or anyone interested.
Please leave contact info.

Thanks,
DB

rob in Holbrook, New York

33 months ago

Regina Johnson in Cleveland, Ohio said: HI Guys, I am back, I still have not found anyone to give me an opportunity to utilize my license. As a new administrator and no experience it is very hard to get a first job. Now it is time to renew my license, I have been renewing my license for 4 years now it gets very costly, especially if you are not working in your field. I hav an Ohio license if anyone can help me Please do . Thank you

what happens if u let license lapse

Shanna in Cresco, Iowa

33 months ago

David Burke in Muleshoe, Texas said: Looking for an interim Administrator are you or anyone interested.

Thanks,
DB

Shanna L.
adm112471@yahoo.com
long-term care adm since 2003 in Iowa
actually able to do a temp os right now:)

Ryan in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

Experienced Nursing Home Administrator in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey since 1993, subacute, hospital based, free-standing facilities, union/non-union. Also have experience in hospital operations, acute rehabilitation hospital, outpatient therapy, occupational health.

I am available for interim or permanent positions.
Ryan W.

linda vandersys in Everett, Washington

33 months ago

As an Assisted Living and SNF Administrator, I am looking for an Interim position. lvandersys@gmail.com

linda vandersys in Everett, Washington

33 months ago

As an Assisted Living and SNF Administrator, I am looking for an Interim position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Crowley, Louisiana

31 months ago

David Burke in Muleshoe, Texas said: Looking for an interim Administrator are you or anyone interested.

Thanks,
DB

Mister Burke:
I will probably be completing an interim nursing facility administrator assignment sometime in October at Gulf Health Care Center in Port Arthur, Texas. If you hear of anyone who is in need of my interim services your referral would be appreciated. I also would be interested in a permanent opportunity if I could come in on Monday and leave on Friday. I live in Crowley, Louisiana. The only possibility I cannot do at this time is permanently relocate my family. Thanks for your considertion of my professional attributes. Have a good Labor Day holiday!
Jules Broussard
Licensed Nursing Facility Administrator
Louisiana and Texas

31 months ago

We have an interim administrator in place at this time but we are looking for a permanent placement and will be interviewing in the next few months. If you are interested, please let me know ASAP. I would have to think about the weekend arrangement but every thing will be considered for the right person.

Thanks for your interest

David Burke

31 months ago

Mister Burke:
Thanks for your reply to my email. I would be interested in permanent placement as long as I can come home on the weekends. Can you put me in touch with your inteim administrator? I would like to network with them. Where is your need a this time? I appreciate your consideration of my profesional attributes. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future. Have a good Labor Day holiday!
Jules Broussard
Licensed Nursing Facility Administrator
Louisiana And Texas
director80@yahoo.com

David Burke in Muleshoe, Texas said: We have an interim administrator in place at this time but we are looking for a permanent placement and will be interviewing in the next few months. If you are interested, please let me know ASAP. I would have to think about the weekend arrangement but every thing will be considered for the right person.

Thanks for your interest

David Burke

Chris Chisholm in Lubbock, Texas

31 months ago

This is not an easy situation in Muleshoe. If any of you want to network with the former administrator in Muleshoe or former controller of the District in Muleshoe leave your contact information here and we will contact you. I recommend this prior to committing to anything there.

David Burke in Muleshoe, Texas said: We have an interim administrator in place at this time but we are looking for a permanent placement and will be interviewing in the next few months. If you are interested, please let me know ASAP. I would have to think about the weekend arrangement but every thing will be considered for the right person.

Thanks for your interest

David Burke

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Pharr, Texas

31 months ago

I am a LNA in the State of Michigan. I should complete my Texas AIT hours in September. I should get my Texas license Soon. gary@valleywaymortgage.com

Thanks,
DB

31 months ago

Mister Burke,
My work telephone number is four o nine nine six two five five four one.. Thanks and have a good day!
Jules

Chris Chisholm in Lubbock, Texas said: This is not an easy situation in Muleshoe. If any of you want to network with the former administrator in Muleshoe or former controller of the District in Muleshoe leave your contact information here and we will contact you. I recommend this prior to committing to anything there.

Ryan Reynolds in Lubbock, Texas

29 months ago

Just curious to see if this position was still open. I've been at a lnfa position in the lubbock area and am interested in moving on.

29 months ago

Nothing has been done at this time.
Please send a resume if your are interested.

Deborah Simaytis in Duluth, Minnesota

25 months ago

Shanna in Cresco, Iowa said: Shanna L.
adm112471@yahoo.com
long-term care adm since 2003 in Iowa
actually able to do a temp os right now:)

Are you still looking for an interim?

Felica Phillip in Tampa, Florida

24 months ago

David Burke in Muleshoe, Texas said: Nothing has been done at this time.
Please send a resume if your are interested.

Hopefully this position is still available. Can I have your email address so I can send you my resume?

24 months ago

Please send your resume as the position is filled at this time but we could need someone in the very near future.
Thanks for your interest.

David Burke, CEO
dburke@mahdtx.org

24 months ago

Deborah Simaytis in Duluth, Minnesota said: Are you still looking for an interim?

Please send a resume

Bob in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

I am an experienced LNHA looking for some interim work. I would appreciate some comments/offers from and recruiters/talent acquisition professionals. thanks!

Patricia Taylor in Slidell, Louisiana

18 months ago

I am a LNHA in Louisiana and am looking for a permanent position. I've worked in long term care for over 18 years and have 5 years experience as Administrator. Contact me at patricia_t34@hotmail.com

Sanket 001 in Beckley, West Virginia

18 months ago

Greetings, I am LNHA and looking for a position. Kindly contact at drsanket2000@yahoo.com

JLeonard in Columbus, Ohio

1 month ago

I understand what you mean Regina. I am a new administrator and I too am having a hard time finding the first job. I currently work in social services and I am looking to find my foot in the door somewhere! Have you found a job yet?

Regina Johnson in Cleveland, Ohio said: HI Guys, I am back, I still have not found anyone to give me an opportunity to utilize my license. As a new administrator and no experience it is very hard to get a first job. Now it is time to renew my license, I have been renewing my license for 4 years now it gets very costly, especially if you are not working in your field. I hav an Ohio license if anyone can help me Please do . Thank you

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.