Is is too late to make a change?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Saza Lee Ahmad in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

80 months ago

I am 41 and for the last five years I have been working as SNF Administrator at hospital based SNF (Transitional Care Unit - a small 16 beds unit). Because of the small size, the hospital combined my position with fiscal function so it can be a full time position (My MBA is in Financial Management).

Anyway, most hospitals around the country closed their TCU and my hospital suggested that it may do so. I have been interviewing for Administrator positions lately but most of the recruiters were CONCERN (I used the word concern just to calm myself) about so called 'TCU experience' although I thought the experience does carries some merit especially when combined with fiscal responsibilities.

Any suggestion? Sorry for the long post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LTC Recruiter in Columbus, Ohio

80 months ago

Saza Lee Ahmad in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: I am 41 and for the last five years I have been working as SNF Administrator at hospital based SNF (Transitional Care Unit - a small 16 beds unit). Because of the small size, the hospital combined my position with fiscal function so it can be a full time position (My MBA is in Financial Management).

Anyway, most hospitals around the country closed their TCU and my hospital suggested that it may do so. I have been interviewing for Administrator positions lately but most of the recruiters were CONCERN (I used the word concern just to calm myself) about so called 'TCU experience' although I thought the experience does carries some merit especially when combined with fiscal responsibilities.

Do not be discouraged. Every recruiter, company, and even facility looks at this experience differently. A smaller building would probably be a good start for you. Under 50 beds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

whiteroze32@yahoo.com

67 months ago

Saza Lee Ahmad in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: I am 41 and for the last five years I have been working as SNF Administrator at hospital based SNF (Transitional Care Unit - a small 16 beds unit). Because of the small size, the hospital combined my position with fiscal function so it can be a full time position (My MBA is in Financial Management).

You may find working in a Nursing Home very different than the a TCU connected to a hospital due to the corporate culture. For most national nursing home chains, the entire focus is census. Most will toss you to the curb within 6 months if you can't increase census--regardless of how you P&L statement reads. During your interviews, ask how many administrators have been there and how long. High Administrator and/or DON turn over is usually an good indicator that you may want to continue looking. Good luck in you search.

restlessintexas in Athens, Tennessee

51 months ago

whiteroze32@yahoo.com said: You may find working in a Nursing Home very different than the a TCU connected to a hospital due to the corporate culture. For most national nursing home chains, the entire focus is census. Most will toss you to the curb within 6 months if you can't increase census--regardless of how you P&L statement reads. During your interviews, ask how many administrators have been there and how long. High Administrator and/or DON turn over is usually an good indicator that you may want to continue looking. Good luck in you search.

You're right about being tossed out for weird reasons. I just left a facility after having only been there 3 months. I increased census, made a huge profit for all 3 months, did some good marketing plans etc. The problem...a crazy DON who cried to the Regional that I was bothering her. Well yes I did question her about nurses not following doctor's order, labs not being done, etc. But never did I harass her. You never know what will be said about you and there's nothing you can do about it. So whether you make money, increase census, have a good survey, its really up to the DON on whether or not you get to stay. I'm ready to move on after 20 years!

bobmdelacruz in San Diego, California

51 months ago

restlessintexas, you made a right decision especially when you have to work unde a dumb regional who is 'scared' of a DON who is a liar. Your license and sanity worth more than that job and like whiteroze said look at that indicator in the future. In my 10+ years, I work for some decent Regionals and unfortunately those are hard to come by these days. The next a couple of years is going to be a challenge with our volatile reimbursement system and I bet you if you read between the lines many of these 'Regionals' don't have a real answers for the problem in the building but quickly blame the Administrator. Many became regional because of luck and connections but few are really good and caring.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.