Licensed NHA Willing to Relocate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 54)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Carlotta in Jacksonville, Florida

52 months ago

WARNING, WARNING: I just left a NHA job in which I worked for a year and I want to warn all other administrators.If you work in a nursing home which is part of a community as in ALF or Independent living make sure you are the one in charge of the community. I was not and I found myself being micromanaged on a daily basis by someone with 1/2 my education and experience. Yet the company considered him the Executive Director whereas I was the administrator. I got no support from the primarily ran ALF organization. It got so bad the director overruled my decisions with my managers (putting residents at risk), called around checking on my time in and out of the bldg (undermining my authority) and challenged me in every possible way. As a NHA it is your license on the wall so please make sure you are in charge. Make sure it is not the HR director, nor some insecure ALF director, you should be in charge. It is your license at stake. I don't want anyone else to waste a year of their life like I did!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

cleo in Baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

I have worked in the healthcare field most of my life on the financial end of the business. I am thinking about getting my bachelors degree in Health Administration. Is this a hard field to find a job if I have the degree but no experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl Fogarty in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

cleo in Baltimore, Maryland said: I have worked in the healthcare field most of my life on the financial end of the business. I am thinking about getting my bachelors degree in Health Administration. Is this a hard field to find a job if I have the degree but no experience?

I live PA and I am a licensed NHA since Sept 08 with 27 years of progressive long term care experience including management. All NHA positions I have applied for say I don't have enough experience. All Assistant NHA positions I have applied for I'm told I'm over qualified. I don't want to discourage you but I'm still looking. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

cleo in Beltsville, Maryland

51 months ago

Thanks for your reply, these are the things that I need to know. What type of position do you currently hold and have you considerd working in a personal care or assisted living facility?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

denareese@ymail.com in Chicago, Illinois

51 months ago

Cheryl Fogarty in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania said: I live in northeast PA and I am a licensed NHA since Sept 08 with 27 years of progressive long term care experience including management. Currently, for the past 3 years I am Assistant Director of Nursing in a Long Term Care facility
All NHA positions I have applied for say I don't have enough experience because my experience has been as Acting NHA. All Assistant NHA positions I have applied for I'm told I'm over qualified. I have been looking for some one to give me the opportunity for 11 months and I'm starting to get discouraged.I would be willing to relocate for the right opportunity.

I am having the same problem, if things dont pickup soon I will be homeless,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

cleo in Beltsville, Maryland said: Thanks for your reply, these are the things that I need to know. What type of position do you currently hold and have you considerd working in a personal care or assisted living facility?

I have considered and applied for several different opportunities including a Home Health Administrator. The Assisted Living route requires a different license. Since I’m having no luck finding a position in a LTC setting I’m not ready to put more money into acquiring an Assisted Living license because I don’t believe the existing opportunities are any better. I started out in this business doing private duty, acquired my nursing assistant certification went back to school for my LPN and RN license before I went for my NHA. The last position I held was an ADON position. I currently am doing interim DON and RN supervisor with a staffing agency because I wanted the flexibility of agency work to be able to interview for an NHA position and start ASAP should I find one.

At one point I was so desperate to get my foot in the door I interviewed for an Assistant NHA position and the current NHA told me it was more of an AIT position and there was no leeway to negotiate salary for someone who already held a license. I was willing to take the position at minimum wage for the facilities required 1 to 2 years just to get my foot in the door but corporate office wouldn’t go along with it.

cleo in Washington, District of Columbia

51 months ago

Thanks for the response, I am not sure what road I am going to take but dont give up something will happen for you. I am not sure if you are willing to move but Maryland has several positions open for an Administrator. I think I was on the simply hired website maybe you should check it out

51 months ago

cleo in Washington, District of Columbia said: Thanks for the response, I am not sure what road I am going to take but dont give up something will happen for you. I am not sure if you are willing to move but Maryland has several positions open for an Administrator. I think I was on the simply hired website maybe you should check it out

Thanks. My son is a high school junior this year and he wants to stay for his senior year so I'll be here at least 1 more year. Good luck to you too

Donald Beckett in Springfield, Missouri

51 months ago

I am a thirty nine year old male that comes from a family of nurses. I am still licensed in the state of Missouri as an accredited Nurses Aid through Missouri Health-Care Association. I became certified in May of 1990. Since then I worked in all fascits of long term care in the caring of the residents. I have worked on alzheimer units, alf units, skilled care units as well as geriatric, adolescent and adult psychiatric units.
I have earned a Bachelors of Science: I have a double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice. I am looking for an oppertunity as an Assistant Administrator. I am planning on taking the federal exam in September of 2010. I can expedite that if I have an oppertunity and I am informed I need to. I am willing to relocate. Accordig to Missouri Health-Care Association I do not need a preceptor with my experience and they are allowing me to sit for the federal and state tests. Can anyone please advise me on what to do? Kindred Healthcare has told me not to take the federal or state test because they are wanting to mold their administrators. I seem to be getting diffirent advice I am willing to relocate to Illinois, New York, Utah Rhode Island and various other states. Any advice is appreciated.
Tanks for reading.

51 months ago

Donald Beckett in Springfield, Missouri said: I am a thirty nine year old male that comes from a family of nurses. I am still licensed in the state of Missouri as an accredited Nurses Aid through Missouri Health-Care Association. I became certified in May of 1990. Since then I worked in all fascits of long term care in the caring of the residents. I have worked on alzheimer units, alf units, skilled care units as well as geriatric, adolescent and adult psychiatric units.
I have earned a Bachelors of Science: I have a double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice. I am looking for an oppertunity as an Assistant Administrator. I am planning on taking the federal exam in September of 2010. I can expedite that if I have an oppertunity and I am informed I need to. I am willing to relocate. Accordig to Missouri Health-Care Association I do not need a preceptor with my experience and they are allowing me to sit for the federal and state tests. Can anyone please advise me on what to do? Kindred Healthcare has told me not to take the federal or state test because they are wanting to mold their administrators. I seem to be getting diffirent advice I am willing to relocate to Illinois, New York, Utah Rhode Island and various other states. Any advice is appreciated.
Tanks for reading.

From my experience all assistant administrator positions I have applied for did NOT want someone already licensed. All companies told me the same thing; their assistant administrator positions were like AIT positions. Having a Bachelors degree is a plus
because I also found out through my many interviews even if you are already licensed the minimum degree they consider is a bachelors degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donald Beckett in Springfield, Missouri

51 months ago

Cheryl,

Thanks for the comment. I am about to start working on a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice but will probably transfer to a diffirent school for a Masters in Health Care Administration. I am just concerned about the financial classes. I had a tutor with the algebra and I did well. If it is just working with money and a budget I would be fine.
Do you know any good companies to apply with other then Manor Care?
I worked for them in the past and it was not a good experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Donald Beckett in Springfield, Missouri said: Cheryl,

Thanks for the comment. I am about to start working on a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice but will probably transfer to a diffirent school for a Masters in Health Care Administration. I am just concerned about the financial classes. I had a tutor with the algebra and I did well. If it is just working with money and a budget I would be fine.
Do you know any good companies to apply with other then Manor Care?
I worked for them in the past and it was not a good experience.

Hi Donald,

I have had the opportunity to talk to some of the people I went to school with for my NHA and unfortunately the majorities are not in NHA positions. It seems like you have to know someone or already be in a facility that truly promotes from within. In addition to Manor Care the most popular companies in my area are Genesis and Extendicare.
Good luck

Cheryl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill

51 months ago

Donald Beckett in Springfield, Missouri said: I am a thirty nine year old male that comes from a family of nurses. I am still licensed in the state of Missouri as an accredited Nurses Aid through Missouri Health-Care Association. I became certified in May of 1990. Since then I worked in all fascits of long term care in the caring of the residents. I have worked on alzheimer units, alf units, skilled care units as well as geriatric, adolescent and adult psychiatric units.
Tanks for reading.

I did a couple of phone interviews with Sava for assistant administrator and they indicated that they wanted a licensed administrator for the position. They wanted someone licensed in the state. So they weren't even willing to accept someone licensed in another state and willing to pursue licensing in that state.

As for advice - it is a tough business. The most difficult thing I found is the owners and the regional administrators. They are all about the money. They are quite willing to jeopardize your license and the resident's well being to make a few bucks. Oftentimes their little money making schemes ending up losing more money in the end but they don't learn.

Jeff in Chalmette, Louisiana

51 months ago

Tanks for reading.

You might want to brush up on spelling and grammer and perhaps you would do better in the interview process. Those things are pretty important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NurseH in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

For all those looking for a NHA position, there will be an opening in Johnstown, PA at a small non profit facility. The cost of living in Johnstown is very low compared to most places in the US. The current administrator is leaving at the end of July. I believe, he was hired without any prior experience as an administrator and worked there for several years. Let me know if you want more details.

NurseH in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Cheryl Fogarty in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania said: Thanks. My son is a high school junior this year and he wants to stay for his senior year so I'll be here at least 1 more year. Good luck to you too

There will be an opening for a NHA in Johnstown, PA. The position will be available at the end of July. The nursing facility is a small, non-profit home. The cost of living in Johnstown is much lower than other areas. Let me know if you want information.

50 months ago

NurseH in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: For all those looking for a NHA position, there will be an opening in Johnstown, PA at a small non profit facility. The cost of living in Johnstown is very low compared to most places in the US. The current administrator is leaving at the end of July. I believe, he was hired without any prior experience as an administrator and worked there for several years. Let me know if you want more details.

Thanks for the tip. It’s much appreciated. I'd love to hear more details. You can email me at cherylafog@aol.com

Prentice Dixon in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

denareese@ymail.com in Chicago, Illinois said: I am having the same problem, if things dont pickup soon I will be homeless,

Try a headhunter if you haven't already.

Prentice Dixon in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

Jeff in Chalmette, Louisiana said: You might want to brush up on spelling and grammer and perhaps you would do better in the interview process. Those things are pretty important.

It seems your company is giving you the run around. If your facility is a nursing home you need a license.

Licensed NFA in Luling, Louisiana

50 months ago

There are currently many starving NFA's in Louisiana. I have been told that there are approx 300+/- Nursing Homes in LA. and approximately 3000+ Administrators. I have 5 years experience and am currently unemployed and looking. There have been very few openings in the past year. It is looking like I may have to change my profession altogether. I hate the idea because I absolutely adore the residents and families. Good luck to all of you who are actively seeking employment along with me!! Wish me well

Starving in Luling

DL in Boise, Idaho

50 months ago

cleo in Baltimore, Maryland said: I have worked in the healthcare field most of my life on the financial end of the business. I am thinking about getting my bachelors degree in Health Administration. Is this a hard field to find a job if I have the degree but no experience?

Actually nursing homes are the highest regulated industry out there.Administrators are lucky to stay in a positions over 2 years. Often creating a unstable home environment. Lots of work and it pays well. However, high stress and most of it is about the corporate world even though they would like to say it is about the residents/patients. I would go in to clinic management or another aspect of health care management. This comes from a person with 21 years as an administrator and 30 years in the business. Good luck

licensed NFA in Luling, Louisiana

50 months ago

I completely agree..Being a Nursing Home Administrator is not an office job nor is it a 9-5 desk job. It requires your ongoing presence and visibility throughout the facility for a good part of the day. A good manager also leads by example. If your corporate office requires a lot of paperwork.. good luck finding the time to handle that.. Not to mention the complaints that you are addressing from employees, residents and their family members. I must say this: Nursing Homes are just as highly regulated as a Nuclear Power Plant!! LOL but seriously take a look through your F-TAG Bible. You MUST HAVE THICK SKIN to be a nursing home administrator or you will get eaten alive. Try to make it a point to walk through and tell your staff how appreciated they are and offer them a hand. Those C.N.A's are hard working and stressed. At the end of the day however..it is very rewarding, you feel great as if you're doing a good deed. . Then your heart is broken again eventually because your mgt. team sneaks in and tells you that you are no good....and to Clear your desk. The average term for a NFA is 3 years. I have seen them come and go sometimes longer and sometimes way shorter periods. I have also experienced the non-sense. But I will always love the profession and am aggressively trying to get my foot back in the door here in the New Orleans area!! Wish me luck!!!

Ladynha in Centreville, Virginia

50 months ago

Carlotta in Jacksonville, Florida said: WARNING, WARNING: I just left a NHA job in which I worked for a year and I want to warn all other administrators.If you work in a nursing home which is part of a community as in ALF or Independent living make sure you are the one in charge of the community. I was not and I found myself being micromanaged on a daily basis by someone with 1/2 my education and experience. Yet the company considered him the Executive Director whereas I was the administrator. I got no support from the primarily ran ALF organization. It got so bad the director overruled my decisions with my managers (putting residents at risk), called around checking on my time in and out of the bldg (undermining my authority) and challenged me in every possible way. As a NHA it is your license on the wall so please make sure you are in charge. Make sure it is not the HR director, nor some insecure ALF director, you should be in charge. It is your license at stake. I don't want anyone else to waste a year of their life like I did!

Carlotta, I have had this daunting experience as well!! Keep the faith you will land the right position elsewhere!!

LadyNha in Centreville, Virginia

50 months ago

To be quite honest, yet, but to remain OPTIMISTIC, my advice is to network network and network yourself into a position. I am new to the Northern Virginia area and currently looking for an administrator position. I am licensed in 2 states.

LadyNha in Centreville, Virginia

50 months ago

licensed NFA in Luling, Louisiana said: I completely agree..Being a Nursing Home Administrator is not an office job nor is it a 9-5 desk job. It requires your ongoing presence and visibility throughout the facility for a good part of the day. A good manager also leads by example. If your corporate office requires a lot of paperwork.. good luck finding the time to handle that.. Not to mention the complaints that you are addressing from employees, residents and their family members. I must say this: Nursing Homes are just as highly regulated as a Nuclear Power Plant!! LOL but seriously take a look through your F-TAG Bible. You MUST HAVE THICK SKIN to be a nursing home administrator or you will get eaten alive. Try to make it a point to walk through and tell your staff how appreciated they are and offer them a hand. Those C.N.A's are hard working and stressed. At the end of the day however..it is very rewarding, you feel great as if you're doing a good deed. . Then your heart is broken again eventually because your mgt. team sneaks in and tells you that you are no good....and to Clear your desk. The average term for a NFA is 3 years. I have seen them come and go sometimes longer and sometimes way shorter periods. I have also experienced the non-sense. But I will always love the profession and am aggressively trying to get my foot back in the door here in the New Orleans area!! Wish me luck!!!

Thanks for the post here. I ALMOST decided to walk away because of the NON SENSE. Being an administrator has to be in " your bones"!! I love geriatric healthcare and have a directed passion to remain in the Helping Profession.

Licensed NFA in Luling, Louisiana

50 months ago

LadyNha in Centreville, Virginia said: To be quite honest, yet, but to remain OPTIMISTIC, my advice is to network network and network yourself into a position. I am new to the Northern Virginia area and currently looking for an administrator position. I am licensed in 2 states.

Please Please Please... If you do not have a passion for protecting the elderly.. and somewhat of a passion for healthcare.. then reconsider. It is my experience that you have to have an eye for healthcare issues as well. You work very closely with the Director of Nurses in a facility. I found myself pointing out things to her that her staff was not reporting and addressing. Therefore nothing goes missed or un addressed if you are personally observing your residents. After all, anything left undone at the end of the day is ultimately your responsibility and gets cited under your license that you worked so hard for. Good Luck!

KB NHA in Ohio in Middletown, Ohio

49 months ago

I am a recently licensed NHA in Ohio, interested in an Administrator or Assistant Administrator position in Greater Cincinnati or Greater Dayton. I have an MHA and thirteen years of prior experience in healthcare administration; including finance, managed care contract negotiations, and revenue cycle supervision. I would love to hear your thoughts about creative ways to job search; e.g. tips on finding out about leads BEFORE they are posted, networking, any other methods that you could share. I am a firm believer that soon there will be plenty of positions for those LNHAs with commitment and tenacity (due to the demographics.) I would love to hear from those who have been successful at searching and landing their first positions in these difficult times!
Regards!

K Cohen in Aurora, Colorado

48 months ago

Cheryl Fogarty in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania said: I live PA and I am a licensed NHA since Sept 08 with 27 years of progressive long term care experience including management. All NHA positions I have applied for say I don't have enough experience. All Assistant NHA positions I have applied for I'm told I'm over qualified. I don't want to discourage you but I'm still looking. Good luck.

Are you still available for a position in Pennsylvania - Schwenksille area.

K Cohen in Aurora, Colorado

48 months ago

Are you still available. If yes, pls send cv.
I have a position in Schwenksville, Pa. area

48 months ago

K Cohen in Aurora, Colorado said: Are you still available for a position in Pennsylvania - Schwenksille area.

I am actively looking for a position and would welcome the opportunity
to further discuss my qualifications and see how they might fit your needs.
My email is cherylafog@aol.com Please feel free to email me for further contact information.

48 months ago

K Cohen in Aurora, Colorado said: Are you still available. If yes, pls send cv.
I have a position in Schwenksville, Pa. area

I am actively still looking for a position and would welcome the opportunity to discuss my qualifications and how they might fit your needs.
If you can email me I will gladly forward my CV.
My email is cherylafog@aol.com.

Fsanford in Indianapolis, Indiana

47 months ago

Please someone should help me! I am looking for a Nursing Home or assisted living company to do my AIT Program.I hold masters degree in Adminisration with Health Care Concerntration. Moreover, I worked several years as a Nursing Assistant both at Michigan and Indiana During my school years.
I have applied to several companies and have talk to many recruiters but end up with the same answers. "We are not doing the program now." " We are keeping your application on file " I am willing to accept any token to get the training but it has been difficult for me to locate one.
Please, Please, if anyone knows where I can do this program or where to apply, kindly inform me. I will appreciate it very much. I need to do something with all this education and experience. Please Help!!

dljnlaws in Boise, Idaho

47 months ago

some states with a Masters in healthcare do not require an AIT. Especially if you have been a CNA and management experience. You could check out, Utah, Idaho, possible OR. Good luck.

Paul , Orlando, Fl.

46 months ago

I have some books for sale :
1. NAB Examination study guide 5th ed
2. The Licensing Exam Review Guide in NHA 5th ed James Allen
3. Nursing Home Administration 5th ed James Allen
4. Principles of Long-Term Heath Care Admin. Peter Buttaro
5. Nursing home Federal Requirements James Allen 6th ed
6. Two complete Review Courses: National Review and Questions,
Fl State review course and questions

I would rather sell all National to one person
Make a reasonable offer. Thanks !

Paul in Orlando in Orlando, Florida

46 months ago

A question for "K & k Consulting"...where does it say on your website there are jobs available ? Its more like payment first ! This is not the correct site for your "advertising ".

William in Plainfield, Illinois

44 months ago

Jeff in Chalmette, Louisiana said: You might want to brush up on spelling and grammer and perhaps you would do better in the interview process. Those things are pretty important.

It is GRAMMAR not grammer.

Valerie Cioffi in Plattsburgh, New York

43 months ago

denareese@ymail.com in Chicago, Illinois said: I am having the same problem, if things dont pickup soon I will be homeless,

How difficult would it be to get licensed in NY? Would you be interested in relocation?

Don in Springfield, Missouri

43 months ago

I am not sure how difficult it is to become licensed in the state of New York. For some reason I think all you need is the national license there. If that is the case I would take the national exam sooner and relocate.
Anyplace beats Springfield Missouri.

43 months ago

Don in Springfield, Missouri said: I am not sure how difficult it is to become licensed in the state of New York. For some reason I think all you need is the national license there. If that is the case I would take the national exam sooner and relocate.

There is an open position in upstate NY for a NY licensed NHA that would be in charge of SNF and TCU. If anyone is NY licensed and interested in this position please post here with contact info.

43 months ago

Don in Springfield, Missouri said: I am not sure how difficult it is to become licensed in the state of New York. For some reason I think all you need is the national license there. If that is the case I would take the national exam sooner and relocate.

Hi Don,

If you are interested in getting your licensure in NY you can go to www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/nursing_home_administrator/#license_app

and the Licensure Qualifications and application are under the heading "Licensure Application" labeled in green. If this is something that you want to persue I would love to see a copy of your resume. Please feel free to email me at vcioffi@etsjobs.com for more information.

Nicole in West Des Moines, Iowa

40 months ago

I am LNHA, in Iowa and I am looking for a job. I will relocate.

rw@higherplain.com in Springfield, Illinois

40 months ago

My name is Roger Wainwright, I am with Higher Plain Executive Placement. Do you experience in multi-facility management? If so I would love to speak with you.

Roger
Search Director
rw.higherplain.com

Nicole in Knoxville, Iowa

40 months ago

Greetings,

I am sad to say that I do not have multi-facility experience; noone has ever gave me a chance at that. Please keep me posted if anything comes up.

Thank You,

Nicole

40 months ago

rw@higherplain.com in Springfield, Illinois said: My name is Roger Wainwright, I am with Higher Plain Executive Placement. Do you experience in multi-facility management? If so I would love to speak with you.

Roger
Search Director
rw.higherplain.com

Greetings,

I am sad to say that I do not have multi-facility experience; noone has ever gave me a chance at that. Please keep me posted if anything comes up.

Thank You,

Nicole Behrens

40 months ago

Hi Nicole, I have a position in Iowa, are you able to relocate?

Roger

40 months ago

rw@higherplain.com in Springfield, Illinois said: Hi Nicole, I have a position in Iowa, are you able to relocate?

Roger

YES!

40 months ago

Could you send a resume with a phone number on it so I can call you?

rw@higherplain.com

40 months ago

rw@higherplain.com in Springfield, Illinois said: Could you send a resume with a phone number on it so I can call you?

rw@higherplain.com

YES

40 months ago

Nicole in Knoxville, Iowa said: YES

I just sent it to you...

helperforpeople in charleston, South Carolina

39 months ago

Good Luck to all of u looking for positions in the field. I have a question that I was hoping a number of u would give your honest opinion on.....I'm considering a career change....in wanting more options, I'm wondering on whether its best to pursue a mba in healthcare management, mha or a mph.

I'm thinking the mba would be better in the event, there are few healthcare management positions, so I can use it in in business setting but I don't know if I'm wrong.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks and good luck to all of u in your NHA's future!!! (Smile)

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.