NHA License in TEXAS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 288)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Vereen in Oviedo, Florida

102 months ago

I planning to move to Houston Texas in May 2008. I have a NHA License in FL and want to prepare for the Texas exam, where can I get the current regs and application information?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (127) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

wendisanford in Dallas, Texas

102 months ago

I have a bachelor's degree in Marketing and am now interested in gaining licensure to become a TX Nursing Home administrator. Can anyone tell me what I should do now? I know I need to intern in a nursing home in order to have the hours of experience required as a pre-req. Does anyone know how to go about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (300) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Mexia, Texas

102 months ago

Wendi Sanford in Dallas, Texas said: I have a bachelor's degree in Marketing and am now interested in gaining licensure to become a TX Nursing Home administrator. Can anyone tell me what I should do now? I know I need to intern in a nursing home in order to have the hours of experience required as a pre-req. Does anyone know how to go about this?

You also have to have the 200 hour course that is required prior to your AIT (Administrator In Training). Often, the instructors at the school where you take the course will have some ideas who might be needing an AIT, or there is a list that Texas will send you with your application packet that tells who the approved preceptors are and where they work. I hope this helps, but feel free to email me if you would like more info. Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Mexia, Texas

102 months ago

Vereen in Oviedo, Florida said: I planning to move to Houston Texas in May 2008. I have a NHA License in FL and want to prepare for the Texas exam, where can I get the current regs and application information?

You can call Jennifer Pfluger .[Edited by Host] She's in charge of the Tx NHA Board and will get you whatever you need. I don't envy your moving to Houston, but good luck!

***Message from Host***
Contact info deleted. Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile. Also please be cautious when sending your information to anyone on the forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James moved from Texas in Bowling Green, Kentucky

102 months ago

Vereen in Oviedo, Florida said: I planning to move to Houston Texas in May 2008. I have a NHA License in FL and want to prepare for the Texas exam, where can I get the current regs and application information?

You can call the Nursing Facility Licensing Board at
[Edited by Host] to get a packet. You may not have to take another test-- investigate reciprocity. You can go online to get the regs. Ask them when you call what the website is.

***Message from Host***
www.indeed.com/my/profile. Also please be cautious when sending your information to anyone on the forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Martin Hubbartt in Edmond, Oklahoma

101 months ago

If no one has answered your questions, let me know and I'll give you some leads. I'm licensed in Tx since 1985 and know a lot of companies and people there.

Good luck
Martin
mh@eldercare.bz

Wendi Sanford in Dallas, Texas said: I have a bachelor's degree in Marketing and am now interested in gaining licensure to become a TX Nursing Home administrator. Can anyone tell me what I should do now? I know I need to intern in a nursing home in order to have the hours of experience required as a pre-req. Does anyone know how to go about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

thank you.

vereen in Oviedo, Florida

101 months ago

Debbie in Mexia, Texas said: You can call Jennifer Pfluger at 512-834-9030. She's in charge of the Tx NHA Board and will get you whatever you need. I don't envy your moving to Houston, but good luck!

Please enlighten me with your experience of TX, I've only visited TX twice and the housing market is GREAT!!! What are the negatives?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Mexia, Texas

101 months ago

It's HOT and HUMID. I really don't have anything to compare it to because I haven't lived anywhere but Texas. But then, I don't want to live anywhere but Texas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

It is hot and humid, like Debbie from Mexia said. BTW, that's pronounced ma-hey-a, not mex-e-a.

Mexia is about in the center of Texas. The east is humid, the west is hot, but not as humid. Dallas is hot/humids, Houston is hotter and more humid, Amarillo is warm/not humid at all, SanAtonio is not an area I know anything about.

I didn't think I would ever leave, actually. I loved Texas, but Kentucky has it's highlights, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tamiko Johns in Orlando, Florida

101 months ago

HI Vereen from Oviedo, Fl. I live in the Metro West area. I have been trying my hardest to get into AIT training or an administrator assistant position at any long term care facility.I have 8 five years nursing and 4 years long term care and currently working on my masters in health services administration. Do you have any contacts in the Orlando area or could you possibly point in the right direction. I would really appreciate any help you can give.
thanks
Tamiko

Debbie McAnally

101 months ago

I would like to re-enter the elder care director program. I have gone back to school and gained a degree in health care administration. Apparently it is no more successfull than any other BA...how sad. 1978/1979 had certification for both Texas and California as a nursing home administrator and now cannot find an avenue to find a "foot in the door".

I have a passion for cleaning up the bad reputation for care and want to turn the business into a caring program.

I am most interested in a rural community and able to re-locate but only consider Texas/south United States but not Houston!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Fairfield, Texas

101 months ago

I may have a golden opportunity for you... I am also a nursing home administrator in a small, rural community, and just today I turned in my 30 day notice. I have accepted another position in a little larger town. This is a really nice, little home and is wonderful to work in. The people are great, and could be just what you are looking for. I would be glad to introduce you to the home if you are interested. Good luck -- sounds like we have the same goals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie McAnally

101 months ago

I am interested in a program that will let me grow, have an AIT program and regain my administration certificate without the political issues of a larger home and the drama of a small town. I also do not want to leave Texas.

Debbie McAnally

101 months ago

Debbie in Fairfield, Texas said: I may have a golden opportunity for you... I am also a nursing home administrator in a small, rural community, and just today I turned in my 30 day notice. I have accepted another position in a little larger town. This is a really nice, little home and is wonderful to work in. The people are great, and could be just what you are looking for. I would be glad to introduce you to the home if you are interested. Good luck -- sounds like we have the same goals.

Texas Certification tell me that I must do all recertification/education once again. I have already gone back to college and now I need an AIT program with a preceptor. I also want to be back in the elder care program for experience as from opportunies must have years in the experience and even a Masters program. I no longer have children at retail working to pay bills and able to move in Texas.

Debbie McAnally

101 months ago

your opportunity sounds wonderful! Are you a preceptor to regain license? I truly want to move outside of the city and build my care!

Debbie McAnally

101 months ago

I would like some contact. This field of conversation is not quite what I expected. I need information from both you, since you are active in the business and connect with the State issues. Thank you, Debbie McAnally

James in Bowling Green, Kentucky

101 months ago

Debbie McAnally said: I would like some contact. This field of conversation is not quite what I expected. I need information from both you, since you are active in the business and connect with the State issues. Thank you, Debbie McAnally

I was told that I could not put my email on here, and not a phone number, either. The reply that says "thank you" is in response to the warning email I got. IOW, I don't know how to provide contact. Go to the website of "jamesdmorrison.com" and try from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nigelle Hatch in Detroit, Michigan

100 months ago

Hello. I am here in Michigan and I am looking to network with some nusing home administrators. I have been an LPN for the past twenty years. I graduated with a BS in education last December. I am not interested in pursuing a career as an administrator. What do you suggests? I s it hard to break in as a newly licensed administrator? Would it help to find an intership while I study for the exam? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marcia in Tampa, Florida

100 months ago

I'm a LPN licensed only in Florida. I will be moving to Houston between 1/08 and 2/08. I need to know if I can work for a few months with my Florida license. Also were i can get employment doing maybe cna work if i cannot as using my Florida license( or if i can work as a cna).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Bowling Green, Kentucky

100 months ago

Call the Texas LNFA board [Edited by Host] and ask them about the guidelines for reciprocity. You my not have to do anything other than fill out an application, and pay a fee, plus a few other hoops to jump through.

***Message from Host***

davfe in Atlanta, Georgia

99 months ago

ihad lived in Houston, TX and had taken the nab and texas exam before in 2003 but never worked with the licenses.i am getting ready to retake the exams in feb 2008 and will be moving back to Tx. i just ordered the Dr. Allen review material and would like to know if anyone has suggestions as to what review materials would be helpful in passing these exams

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Felix Davies in Atlanta, Georgia

99 months ago

im planning to take the NAB and Texas statutes next year and would like a suggestion as to what exam review material i will need to buy.

Felix Davies in Atlanta, Georgia

99 months ago

Marcia in Tampa, Florida said: I'm a LPN licensed only in Florida. I will be moving to Houston between 1/08 and 2/08. I need to know if I can work for a few months with my Florida license. Also were i can get employment doing maybe cna work if i cannot as using my Florida license( or if i can work as a cna).

Marcia, i recently moved from Houston after 28 years there and i can tell you that Houston is a healthcare city with so many hospitals and nursing homes. most people i know work two to three jobs because there are more jobs than nurses and cnas. Contact Texas board of nursing in Austin and ask for reciprocity. You will keep your LPN license but they will give you a new one that says LVN and you do not need to take exams. Don't even think about working as CNA because there is too much work for you as LVN. If you need further info you can mail me at bobzoo74@yahoo.com

Dan Broadway in Temple, Texas

99 months ago

Martin Hubbartt in Edmond, Oklahoma said: If no one has answered your questions, let me know and I'll give you some leads. I'm licensed in Tx since 1985 and know a lot of companies and people there.

Good luck
Martin
mh@eldercare.bz

Martin, can you give me the names of some NF in Georgetown/Round Rock/Austin area that are willing to take on AIT's. I'm currently going through the NHA cert program at MCC and am having trouble finding a decent home in my area (Temple) that'll take someone on.

Thanks

Dan
dan@ineedmyce.com

Debbie in Navasota, Texas

99 months ago

Dan, I just left a home in Fairfield that is looking for an administrator and they might be interested in an AIT. I'll send you the info to call if you're interested.

Kelly Preston in Paris, Texas

98 months ago

I have an additonal question and was wondering if anyone could offer me any guidance. I was an Administrator for a Occupational Medicine Hospital. We also treated Medicare Physical Therapy Patients. My undergraduate degree is actually in Government and Politics. I would like to make the transition to Assisted Living or managing an Elder Care Facility. Can anyone give me advise on getting started in making this transition?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles in Texas in Santa Fe, Texas

98 months ago

call Texas Department of Aging & Disabilities Services (TX DADS) and ask for the nursing home administrator board.

Marc in Sarasota, Florida

97 months ago

I am currently unemployed, what companies you might recommend. I am tring to get in touch with Regional Managers instead of blind ads. Can anyone help?

Dr. Benedictus Kukoyi in Arlington, Texas

97 months ago

Texas requires;
*Bachelors degree
*15 hours course in long term care &
* 1000 hours (6 months) of administrator in training internship
to qualify for the licensing exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julian in Indianapolis, Indiana

96 months ago

Debbie in Mexia, Texas said: You also have to have the 200 hour course that is required prior to your AIT (Administrator In Training). Often, the instructors at the school where you take the course will have some ideas who might be needing an AIT, or there is a list that Texas will send you with your application packet that tells who the approved preceptors are and where they work. I hope this helps, but feel free to email me if you would like more info. Good Luck!!!

COULD YOU TELL HOW CAN i LOCATE ONE OF THOSE SCHOOLS TO TAKE THE 200 HRS? THX FOR YOUR HELP

Julian in Indianapolis, Indiana

96 months ago

Julian in Indianapolis, Indiana said: COULD YOU TELL HOW CAN i LOCATE ONE OF THOSE SCHOOLS TO TAKE THE 200 HRS? THX FOR YOUR HELP

Debbie, I would like information how to get in touch with the schools offering the 200 hundred hours, I have already my MBA in healthcare management thanks for your help

Debbie in New Orleans, Louisiana

96 months ago

If you have a degree in Health Care Admin or HC Mgmt, you don't have to have the 200 hour course. You just have to have the 1000 hour AIT (internship) at a facility under a licensed administrator approved to act as a preceptor by the state of Texas. You can contact the NHA Board to get a list of those administrators or they send them with the application packet normally. If you are licensed in another state, you could check for reciprocity, but Texas is very strict and don't honor a lot of other states qualifications.
Hope this helps, but let me know if you need anything.

exgoldenlivinged in Saint Louis, Missouri

96 months ago

Felix Davies in Atlanta, Georgia said: im planning to take the NAB and Texas statutes next year and would like a suggestion as to what exam review material i will need to buy.

NAB has a computer CD that is really good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

al in Granbury, Texas

96 months ago

Debbie in Mexia, Texas said: You also have to have the 200 hour course that is required prior to your AIT (Administrator In Training). Often, the instructors at the school where you take the course will have some ideas who might be needing an AIT, or there is a list that Texas will send you with your application packet that tells who the approved preceptors are and where they work. I hope this helps, but feel free to email me if you would like more info. Good Luck!!!

Do you know any schools in the dallas/fort worth area that offers these courses?

Debbie in Garland, Texas

96 months ago

I know Navarro in Corsicana has the course. I would be willing to bet that TCU, UNT, any of the larger school would offer the course. You might try looking them up online or calling the ones closest to you and asking. If I'm not mistaken, Weatherford College even has a course, but I could be wrong on that one.

Felix in Atlanta, Georgia

96 months ago

exgoldenlivingED in Saint Louis, Missouri said: NAB has a computer CD that is really good.

thanks, i will try to get one

Andy Joiner in Olmito, Texas

96 months ago

I chose Midland College because I need to do the course on-line and they offered the program that best suits my needs. If you are interested in contacting them the phone number is 432.685.4591 and the contact is Mr Ed Penz. I have a bachelors in marketing and management and my requirements are 5 three hour courses, an internship and AIT.

PJ in Richardson, Texas

95 months ago

I have a BS -Management and recruit nurses. I would like to go back and get my nursing degree. I live in the Dallas area. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I am also wanting to get back into working in hospitals again. Dallas seems to have a closed market any pointers.

Thanks,
PJ

Dan Draitser in Newport Beach, California

95 months ago

Hey guys, i have been reading your responses and was wondering if anyone can help me out finding a preceptor here in southern CA. I have a BA in Law and Sociey and have worked in the financial industry. I recently have decided to get into health care and would definitely like to get into the AIT program, however i do not know any preceptors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hope Larhrib in New Orleans, Louisiana

95 months ago

Martin Hubbartt in Edmond, Oklahoma said: If no one has answered your questions, let me know and I'll give you some leads. I'm licensed in Tx since 1985 and know a lot of companies and people there.

Good luck
Martin
mh@eldercare.bz

HI, I have a question about NHA license. I am interested in a
career change and I would like to get my license but have no prior experience in the industry. I have a business backgroud and I want to know what I need to do. As I research I see it is only for experienced individuals and I am not sure what to do. I live in Dallas TX and I would like some insight.
Hope

Andy Joiner in Olmito, Texas

95 months ago

I also have a strong management background in business but no experience in LTC. I am taking the courses at Midland college. I got interested because my wife is the ADON at a long term care facility and I have always been interested in Health Care. I have already come across two companies and two local facilities that are looking for administrators willing to stay long term, especially here in the southern tip of the state. I have already been told by two of them that they are interested in me as soon as I complete the course and internship and get my license. If you have ambition in this field by all means move forward. I like Midland College because it fits my needs and they have a preceptor program through the college in cse you have any difficulty in your area.

Dan in Killeen, Texas

95 months ago

Andy, sounds like you and I have similar backgrounds. I have almost 20 years of management background and now want to get into the NHA field, due to my wife who's studying to be an RN. I've been told that getting an administrator's job shouldn't be hard, it's just getting past the 1000 hr internship. That's what I'm running up against. I can find unpaid internships all day long, it's just the paid ones that are hard to come by. I hope to find out this week if a company is going to hire me. If not, the search continues. It's a great field to be in.

Hope in Mesquite, Texas

95 months ago

That was going to be my next question are these internships paid. It would seem almost impossible to get one and still work another job on top of that. The schools don't provide placement for these internships since they are required?

Dan in Killeen, Texas

95 months ago

I'm doing my in class courses at MCC in Waco and an online course through Midland College. My instructor at MCC said that whether or not the internship was paid was up to the facility where the student would work. It's either paid or unpaid. Even the paid one's I've found have been for a very small amount of money. Just from what I've viewed looking at my classmates, it seems you're better off just getting the hours if you already work in a facility. Simply put, I've found it to be tough just getting your foot in the door, in a paid position, since I don't have prior NH experience. I do have a lot of business experience, just not NH experience.

Debbie in Houston, Texas

95 months ago

Your best bet is to find a larger home that needs an assistant administrator. Often they will use an AIT for these positions and you can get paid. Possibly a position as a business office manager, admissions coordinator/marketing person MIGHT have an administrator willing to sign off. One more thing to consider... not every administrator can be your preceptor. They have to be approved by the State of Texas. You probably need to check the list provided by the state and go from there.
It's certainly not going to be easy! Good luck.

Dan in Killeen, Texas

95 months ago

It's certainly not going to be easy!

Amen to that! One place you might look is the college/university where you're doing your classes. My instructor at MCC is my preceptor so I can really work anywhere. I don't have to have my administrator as my preceptor.

Aaron in Mckinney, Texas

95 months ago

UNT has the program but I would suggest the program at Texas State University in San Marcos. I don't know if it is still offered but Howard Batiste out of San Antonio used to give a 8 hour prep course for the NAB and TX State Exams. It was unbelievable accurate and even had many of the same questions as I saw on the exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Fort Worth, Texas

94 months ago

I am working on getting my NHA license however am having a hard time finding an internship. I currently have a full time job and can't quit to do a 1000 hour internship in the day. Does anyone know if there is any chance that there would be any late afternoon or evening internships available?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debi in Memphis, Tennessee

94 months ago

I believe the AIT has to be done during the normal workday. Your only hope would be to find a facility that needs an Assistant Administrator and will accept an AIT. Good luck, though, because they're hard to find. If you live in or near a major city, I would just contact each nursing home and ask.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.