Recruiters

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Rachel in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

I am starting to believe that recruiters are not out there to help new NHA. They are trying to prove that their company can deliver the "top of the line" NHA. I cannot blame them; however, I would LOVE to name a particular company who bluntly told me that I will be a difficult placement. That this particular company cannot assist with candidates like myself.

At least gives us some kind of hope. Way to go on that depression meter. Who do we turn to for assistance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bsg4884 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

67 months ago

Would you mind telling me in confidence who it was? I'm a 15 year veteran with no job and the same blah blah blah

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt Greenberg in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I am a recruiter in PA and I spend several hours per month speaking to newly licensed and/or inexperienced NHA's telling them that I cannot help them. In fact, I would be a barrier to their employment due to the fees associated w/ my representation.

What I do tell them is how to go about a search on their own. Look to companies w/ less than stellar reputations. Look to positions paying below market salaries. Look for locations that are undesirable and be fluid.
Be persistant. Be proactive. I've known dozens of brand new NHA's who have landed in those types of situations.

I love speaking to new NHA's and helping with their search, albeit for self-serving reasons. These are future candidates who (hopefully) will eventually have the necessary experience to warrant my representation. Or they can become future clients in need of DON's or other nursing management.

I assumed most recruiters did the same. I can't imagine a recruiter would think that their clients would need them to find inexperienced NHA's - that's what Careerbuilder or Monster are for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Saint Joseph, Minnesota

63 months ago

Rachel in Los Angeles, California said: I am starting to believe that recruiters are not out there to help new NHA. They are trying to prove that their company can deliver the "top of the line" NHA. I cannot blame them; however, I would LOVE to name a particular company who bluntly told me that I will be a difficult placement. That this particular company cannot assist with candidates like myself.

At least gives us some kind of hope. Way to go on that depression meter. Who do we turn to for assistance?

Rachel,
There is assistance out ther for you, but like anything else it's a matter of locating the quality providers. There are a good many "cheap-o" recruiters with a $$$ mission rather than quality assistance and customer service. I am a seasoned NHA, seeking interim positions through recruiters. I too am frustrated with locating the good ones.
Stay with it. I can sense by your message that you have passion and that's a key quality in our work.
Doug

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenn roberts in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

I am too looking for that big break in the NHA career path. It is impossible. I have beeen working in the field now for 10 years and no one is willing to give new NHAs a chance. However at one point or another someone gave all these "experienced" NHA a chance when they had no experience themselves. If I hear one more time get the experience I could just scream. If no one gives you a chance how do you get the so called experience? I will continue to look and apply for jobs because this is truly what I want to do for a living. Can all those "experienced" NHA say that thsi is their dream job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Springfield, Illinois

59 months ago

Jenn the positions are out there. I landed a NHA job with 0 experience in NH fresh out of college. You must not be looking in the right area or aiming too high. I enjoy it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Bayside, New York

59 months ago

I'm looking for a position to fulfill my 12-month NHA Internship requirement for NY State. I can't work for free because rent needs to be paid for. I'm looking for suggestions in the NYC area...Thank you.

jenn roberts in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

Well I do not set my sights to high. I have applied to positions with 35 beds and I am told I need more experience. I am the Quality Assurance Manager at a 200 bed facility. I write POC, audit the entire building for compliance. Worked in social services for years but all my experience is not good enough. This industry is depressing and hopeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lantz.sandy@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

Rachel in Los Angeles, California said: I am starting to believe that recruiters are not out there to help new NHA. They are trying to prove that their company can deliver the "top of the line" NHA. I cannot blame them; however, I would LOVE to name a particular company who bluntly told me that I will be a difficult placement. That this particular company cannot assist with candidates like myself.

I totally understand. I am in the same situation, and I have nine years long term care experience as a licensed social worker...I have been told the exact same thing by many recruiters...it's tough and discouraging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lantz.sandy@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

I understand, I have nine years of Long Term Care experience as a Licensed Social Worker, and hear the same thing from recruiters...very discouraging. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rush2112 in New Castle, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Matt Greenberg in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania said: I am a recruiter in PA and I spend several hours per month speaking to newly licensed and/or inexperienced NHA's telling them that I cannot help them. In fact, I would be a barrier to their employment due to the fees associated w/ my representation.

What I do tell them is how to go about a search on their own. Look to companies w/ less than stellar reputations. Look to positions paying below market salaries. Look for locations that are undesirable and be fluid.
Be persistant. Be proactive. I've known dozens of brand new NHA's who have landed in those types of situations.

I love speaking to new NHA's and helping with their search, albeit for self-serving reasons. These are future candidates who (hopefully) will eventually have the necessary experience to warrant my representation. Or they can become future clients in need of DON's or other nursing management.

I assumed most recruiters did the same. I can't imagine a recruiter would think that their clients would need them to find inexperienced NHA's - that's what Careerbuilder or Monster are for.

I would be very interested in any advice you can provide for me to improve my job search. I'm a newly licensed NHA in Pennsylvania and I also plan to be licensed in Ohio. This week I have two interviews and they are for positions 95 miles away from my home. My wife does not want to relocate. Please help. Mark Wendel mwendelrush2112@hotmail.com

35 months ago

I would be very interested in any advice you can provide me to improve my job search. I'm a newly licensed NHA in western Pennsylvania and I also plan to be licensed in Ohio. I have two interviews this week which are both over 95 miles from my home. Mt wife does not want to relocate. Please contact me and share your wisdom. Mark Wendel mwendelrush2112@hotmail.com

26 months ago

Can anyone tell me ? What are the five easiest states in the nation for a new NHA to land that all importent first position ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Stemmerding in San Antonio, Texas

9 months ago

newbie in Springfield, Illinois said: Jenn the positions are out there. I landed a NHA job with 0 experience in NH fresh out of college . You must not be looking in the right area or aiming too high. I enjoy it.

I would gather you knew someone....this job position wasn't just out of the blue, correct? Most of the time (if not ALL of the time) -- a new administrator got a job after getting licensed is because they went through an AIT program (same company) or they have buddies in the system already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Stemmerding in San Antonio, Texas

9 months ago

Rush2112 in New Castle, Pennsylvania said: Can anyone tell me ? What are the five easiest states in the nation for a new NHA to land that all importent first position ?

That's not an easy answer, because each state has different requirements to becoming a LNFA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.