Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

Host

What are typical nursing home administrator salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Tamiko Johns in Orlando, Florida

87 months ago

I trying to get into an AIT program or obtain a position as a nursing home administrator assistant. I have a B.S. degree in health services administration and with four years long term care experience. I am in the Orlando, FL area. Is there anyone that can help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey in Vashon, Washington

87 months ago

Tamiko Johns in Orlando, Florida said: I trying to get into an AIT program or obtain a position as a nursing home administrator assistant. I have a B.S. degree in health services administration and with four years long term care experience. I am in the Orlando, FL area. Is there anyone that can help me.

Log onto the Life Care Centers of America web page www.lcca.com and apply for an AIT posiction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Evans in Katy, Texas

81 months ago

How hard is it to find gainful employment in the Houston, TX area for LNHA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

It is not uncommon in Illinois for administrators to make 6 figures but it depends on census and tags. If you can keep a home out of trouble and keep a full census, you should expect to make 6 figures. Also it is pulic knowledge what administrators make it is listed on the tax records as a line item which is a matter of public record. You can find this online but I will not be listing the link because it has gotten me in some trouble already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Greenville, Texas

80 months ago

Tamiko Johns in Orlando, Florida said: I trying to get into an AIT program or obtain a position as a nursing home administrator assistant. I have a B.S. degree in health services administration and with four years long term care experience. I am in the Orlando, FL area. Is there anyone that can help me.

I suggest checking with the state of Florida and their recommendations and go from there. I am currently enrolled in an AIT program in the state of Texas. I have my BSW and MSW. However, the state of Texas requires an undergraduate degree along with 5 clasees and 1,000 hours of internship before I am eligible for state and national examination. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Mckinney, Texas

77 months ago

To answer your question it truly depends on whether you are in an Urban or Rural Setting, size and census capacity of building and experience. Just to give you an idea I began in a 52 bed building in a small rural town in 1999 immediately following college graduation. Starting 50,000. Most recently I have been in a metro area and 85000-90000 plus bonuses for 120 beds and well up to 110000 for larger homes of 180+Beds. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ROBYN in Orlando, Florida

73 months ago

HAHA! hi little tamiko! it's robyn! seriously, anyone who can help Miss Tamiko should do so as I have worked with her in the past, and she is an amazingly sharp and personable individual who would be an assett to any company fortunate enough to attain her!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jasmyn in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

I've been at a 50 bed facility for two years and I started at a 60,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in texas

71 months ago

I started at a 90 bed facility at 68k. was there for 8 months, then went to a 60 bed home and they started me at 75k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maxine Whitus in Lafayette, Indiana

71 months ago

I am also interested in an AIT program in the central Indiana area. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management. I also have past experience working in a 100 skilled bed facilty for 3 years managing the accounts receivables (but that was 10 years ago).
Any suggestions would be most appreciated, also, if one is in an AIT program I am wondering what the pay would be.

Thanks, Maxine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bake in Joliet, Illinois

71 months ago

I ran a 166 bed craphole of a facility and made 50 plus bonus. But there was no way you could ever get a bonus because the facility was in such disrepair and the residents were all mentally ill. So they would come and go all day, and you could never keep them stable because they would decompensate and go to the hospital all the time. But that's where I learned how to run a facility, but seeing how a facility should have not been run. The company was terrible, they were only there for the money and not the residents. Then I got with a better company, and I run a smaller facility and make almost double what I did at the MI facility. My new building is in a much much better area, the old one was in the hood. All of these things make a difference: Area, wether or not it's in an affluent area, or ubran or rural. The type of residnets (mentally ill homeless person with public aide, or professional retiree with MC/private insurance supplemental/private pay. If it's a good company who wants people to stick around. How much experienc you have, there are a lot of factors. But if you are good and know what you are doing, you should be doing alright for yourself, there are a lot of idiots in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

jeff in texas said: I started at a 90 bed facility at 68k. was there for 8 months, then went to a 60 bed home and they started me at 75k.

Do you know any more like yours? Sounds EXACTLY like what I'm looking for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

alicia in Rowlett, Texas said: Don and Ty PLEASE stop spamming the Groups~ unbelievable the amout of spam you have created in the last 20 hours....shame on you!

Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender.

I am not typing the same thing nor have I ever. Is there a limit to participation on this server?

Sam Elliot in Albuquerque, New Mexico

67 months ago

Salaries are usually dependent on the size of the facility. In Albuquerque the 120+ facilities are paying $100K. In the smaller communities they are not and the smaller facilities are paying around $80K.

If you are looking for money, this is not the profession. It pays OK, but there are other ways to make a lot more money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

linda45 in madisonville, Kentucky

66 months ago

Im preparing to take the exam in the next 2 weeks. Any advice for studying? Does any one have questions they could email me. email lberry45@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Carrie in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

Can anyone shine light on salary ranges for assistant administrators in metro areas? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

tonii in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

Vanessa in Greenville, Texas said: I suggest checking with the state of Florida and their recommendations and go from there. I am currently enrolled in an AIT program in the state of Texas. I have my BSW and MSW. However, the state of Texas requires an undergraduate degree along with 5 clasees and 1,000 hours of internship before I am eligible for state and national examination. Good luck to you.

Where did you take your five classes? I am tossing back and forth between Midland College and TCC in Tarrant county?

Larry in Florence, Kentucky

49 months ago

Does anybody have an idea of what the going rate is for a Assisted Living Manager in Kentucky If so please advice
Thanks

Larry in Florence, Kentucky

49 months ago

I would like to know what the average starting salary is for Assisted Living Managers in Kentucky

acergal1@gmail.com

49 months ago

GO TO THE WEBSITE WHERE YOU WANT TO TAKE THE ATI PROGRAM, GOOGLE THIS AND GO TO WWW.ACHA.COM OR WWW.MYFLORIDA.COM AND THEN TO CMS, OR MEDICAR-E CMS WEBSITE LOOK UNDER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. YOU CAN EVEN ASK A SPECIFIC QUESTION IF THERE IS NO ANSWER TO WHAT YOU ARE SEEKING, THESE SITES WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THE GUIDANCE YOU NEED. IT WILL DIRECT YOU TO WHERE TO GO AND HOW TO APPLY FOR THE CREDENTIALS YOU ARE SEEKING.

acergal1@gmail.com

49 months ago

great site !! Love finidng out new information or passing information along!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Duncan in San Antonio, Texas

47 months ago

tonii in Dallas, Texas said: Where did you take your five classes? I am tossing back and forth between Midland College and TCC in Tarrant county?

I took my classes at Midland. It was pretty easy to get the credits. I did mine in 4 months.

Duncan

Chyrel Saunders in Snellville, Georgia

44 months ago

Jasmyn in Atlanta, Georgia said: I've been at a 50 bed facility for two years and I started at a 60,000.

Hi Jasmyn my name is Chyrel Saunders and I am also in the Atlanta area. I was wondering if you can give me some advice on how I can get in to an AIT program in order to obtain my LNHA.

you can contact me via this board or by my email address: chyrelfrancis@hotmail.com

june in Manchester, New Hampshire

43 months ago

the AIT program with LCCA is a 24-month program. It goes on a rolling basis. I have not heard back since I sent in my application 2 months ago and I've called several times.

changing careers in Farnhamville, Iowa

36 months ago

Sam Elliot in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Salaries are usually dependent on the size of the facility. In Albuquerque the 120+ facilities are paying $100K. In the smaller communities they are not and the smaller facilities are paying around $80K.

If you are looking for money, this is not the profession. It pays OK, but there are other ways to make a lot more money.

I do not want to be a nursing home administrator any longer. I have been applying for Account Manager positions with larger corportions. What type of position do you think I should look for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Iwork in Central, Washington

35 months ago

In Washington a new Administrator can start at 80K in a smaller facility and within three years you can be making 100-110k. You have to "prove yourself" to transfer to the larger more desireable facilities, but it's not that hard. The three factors you'll be judged on are census growth, expense control and regulatory compliance. I have a line on a position that might be opening up in the near future (1-2 months)in central Washington. Anyone with a WA state license can contact me at rd_adams@live.com

DShun in Irving, Texas

33 months ago

Duncan in San Antonio, Texas said: I took my classes at Midland. It was pretty easy to get the credits. I did mine in 4 months.

Duncan

I took mine at TCC wih Princess Jackson. She is the BEST of the BEST..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bobby7 in Columbia, South Carolina

31 months ago

Host said: What are typical nursing home administrator salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What have you found in your research? I am also interested in finding some objective numbers to go by. Seems like it ranged anywhere from 60k - 100k+ depending on the type of facility and bonus structure. I wouldn't dream of doing this type of work for anything less than 90K+. Are you seeing this type of money in your research?

Amanda in Lake Worth, Florida

31 months ago

Iwork in Central, Washington said: In Washington a new Administrator can start at 80K in a smaller facility and within three years you can be making 100-110k. You have to "prove yourself" to transfer to the larger more desireable facilities, but it's not that hard. The three factors you'll be judged on are census growth, expense control and regulatory compliance. I have a line on a position that might be opening up in the near future (1-2 months)in central Washington. Anyone with a WA state license can contact me at rd_adams@live.com

I am curious I'm a cna and was going to go take an alf administrator training do I need to take other classes

Charles in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

Can anyone give me any pointers on landing my first administrator's position? How can I get experience when I can't find a job, I've tried everthing

Not Important

30 months ago

Charles in Dallas, Texas said: Can anyone give me any pointers on landing my first administrator's position? How can I get experience when I can't find a job, I've tried everthing

Yes,

If you are in Texas seek out those companies that advertise frequently (ie., Fundamental Health Services, DayBreak Ventures, and HCRmanor) HCRmanor often have assistant admin ($60-$65,000)positions that will get you started. The other forementioned companies will send you out to a rural area to a smaller facility so that you can "prove yourself". You can probably start at $70-$75,000. The up side is that you can get some valuable experience. The down side is that these are companies that will terminate you at the drop of a hat, and for no good reason which explains why they always have openings. I would try them with a plan to work 6 months to a year and at the same time continue to search for another position because these companies have the worst reputations for poor treatment of their administrators. This is well known among those in the industry.

Charles in Dallas, Texas

30 months ago

I've tried them all, however, most of them advertise on CareerBuilder, simply hired, indeed, and monster ninety-nine percent of the time I hear nothing back from them. I have heard that most of the time, they never even view the resumes on these sights, but I can't give up. Would you recommend doing something like marketing director first just to get any experience?

cherbert in Temple, Texas

27 months ago

hello everybody,
I just recently graduate in getting my Bachelor of Science in Health Services Administration and working on getting my Nursing home administrator certification here in TX. Can someone please give me an advice which is the best way to get an experience for Nursing Home Administrator? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

winnied in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

Host said: What are typical nursing home administrator salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I began a second career after 23 years in the Navy at age 47 in 1995 at a rural stand-alone CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) with a 90-bed nursing component as well as independent living and assisted living sections. My starting salary was 41,000. After three years in this "dues paying" position, I was hired at another CCRC, this time in Houston and started with 78,000. This was in 1999. I stayed at this facility for 10 years, finally retiring in 2009. In my final year my base salary was 153,000 and I also received a 65,000 bonus. That put me pretty much at the top of the pyramid as far as nursing home administrators go, and was one of the reasons I retired. I could tell the company (a large hospital system) was interested in replacing me with a younger (read "less expensive") person. No hard feelings, though. Retirement is a blast. Good luck pursuing a career as a rich and powerful nursing home administrator!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Temple, Texas

26 months ago

winnied in Houston, Texas said: I began a second career after 23 years in the Navy at age 47 in 1995 at a rural stand-alone CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) with a 90-bed nursing component as well as independent living and assisted living sections. My starting salary was 41,000. After three years in this "dues paying" position, I was hired at another CCRC, this time in Houston and started with 78,000. This was in 1999. I stayed at this facility for 10 years, finally retiring in 2009. In my final year my base salary was 153,000 and I also received a 65,000 bonus. That put me pretty much at the top of the pyramid as far as nursing home administrators go, and was one of the reasons I retired. I could tell the company (a large hospital system) was interested in replacing me with a younger (read "less expensive") person. No hard feelings, though. Retirement is a blast. Good luck pursuing a career as a rich and powerful nursing home administrator!

what is the best way to get an experience in this job other than AIT? Will volunteering help?

halemtd in West Orange, New Jersey

26 months ago

I live in NJ. Does anyone know of any AIT program here. I already took the ALF administrator course and that had done nothing for me. Can anyone help?

Fara in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

winnied in Houston, Texas said: I began a second career after 23 years in the Navy at age 47 in 1995 at a rural stand-alone CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community ) with a 90-bed nursing component as well as independent living and assisted living sections. My starting salary was 41,000. After three years in this "dues paying" position, I was hired at another CCRC, this time in Houston and started with 78,000. This was in 1999. I stayed at this facility for 10 years, finally retiring in 2009. In my final year my base salary was 153,000 and I also received a 65,000 bonus. That put me pretty much at the top of the pyramid as far as nursing home administrators go, and was one of the reasons I retired. I could tell the company (a large hospital system) was interested in replacing me with a younger (read "less expensive") person. No hard feelings, though. Retirement is a blast. Good luck pursuing a career as a rich and powerful nursing home administrator!

Great job!!Do you have any important tips to become so successful? I'm working on my AIT hours. This is MOTIVATIONAL!!!

Michelle Matinez in Arlington Heights, Illinois

22 months ago

I have a year more to go to receive my B.A in Business Administration from Devry and am hoping to work as a licensed nursing home administrator. Is a Bachelors degree enough? I have thought of going on to Keller graduate school to get my MBA. Is it worth it to get an MBA?

Travis in Bardstown, Kentucky

18 months ago

Anyone want to weigh in on the executive director salary for a CCRC with 2- 80 bed ALFs, senior apartments size unknown, a 60 bed memory care PC facility, and a 225 bed SNF?

Jeff in Orange, New Jersey

12 months ago

Did you take the exam for Nursing administrator? I would recommend apply taking the exam in either PA, NJ or NY, which ever is easier than apply for reciprocity. Afterwards apply for work.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.