How to get into the field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 68)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

bradley

86 months ago

Hi all. I'm currently trying to get my administrator's license in GA. I am trying to find out information about administrator in training programs.
I contacted LCA but they have nothing in the area. I can not find any further information about an AIT program anywhere in the state. Should I just randomly call places and ask if they offer a program? Are most programs unpaid? I have a family to support, so an unpaid intership would probably not work for me. In that case are there any other options to obtain a license?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Cazenovia, New York

86 months ago

Hi Bradley,

Not to sound discouraging but there are not that many AIT positions available. Those that are available then to go people who are in degree programs in long term care where a local college places their students with the facility. Competition is fierce for positions. I have been trying to find an AIT for 3+ months with little luck. I am willing to go just about anywhere. I am completing a Master's degree in long term care and have 3 year experience in long term care as a nurse. Only the large nursing home corporations have the ability to pay salaries during training. One out of 15 applicants is choosen. Other facilities that nonprofits generally do not have salaries budgeted in for AIT positions.
One of the students in my Master's program who was from Georgia got a position (paid salary of $50,000) with a large nursing home corporation that operates facilities in Georgia. The way that corporation works is they budget for a position. There are relatively few. Also, the administrator at a facility who is to be the perceptor must be approved by the state. You must also be approved to do an AIT by most states prior to undertaking an AIT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Macon, Georgia

85 months ago

bradley said: Hi all. I'm currently trying to get my administrator's license in GA. I am trying to find out information about administrator in training programs.
I contacted LCA but they have nothing in the area. I can not find any further information about an AIT program anywhere in the state. Should I just randomly call places and ask if they offer a program? Are most programs unpaid? I have a family to support, so an unpaid intership would probably not work for me. In that case are there any other options to obtain a license?

Bradley you can try UHS-Pruit or Ethica Health Care both major companies in Georgia. I am an assistant administrator in Macon. Pruitt has na AIT program in its Athens facility and Ethica has a couple. Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bradley

85 months ago

Thanks, I appreciate all the input. I'm located pretty much the same distance between alt and athens so the information helps greatly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Valerie in Fort Worth, Texas

85 months ago

HI
Im seeking an AIT program in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. My preference is within a hospital setting. Im open to any suggestions. Thank you and have great day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nikeba in Glen Allen, Virginia

80 months ago

Hello Everyone!

My name is Nikeba and I am attempting to find a AIT program in Virginia. I have my Master's in Health Services Administration so according to the Department of Health Professions I will need to complete at least 320 hours (i.e. although this is subject to change). I have mailed out letters to several administrators to attempt to seek a preceptor. However, I have not had any luck...I am willing to take a paid or unpaid position if it helps towards my goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ivan L in Winter Haven, Florida

80 months ago

I have 14 years of experience as physical therapist assistant and as a rehab manager in long-term care. I recently got my license as a Nursing Home Administrator in Florida. I have applied to several positions, but I always get the same response,"we need an experienced administrator". I have experienced the good,the bad, and the ugly of nursing homes as a clinician and as a manager. I consider myself to have a pretty good knowledge of the inner workings of a nursing home than many "experienced" administrators that I have met through the years. So my question is, how can I get experience if I can't even get a job?. Is my experience as a clinician and manager working against my chances to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mohan Ramnarine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

77 months ago

Thank you all for posting your questions/comments which allowed me to see that I am not the only one with a goal of being an administrator in LTC that is having the most difficulty in obtaining a training position. I recently obtained my MHA and has worked for the past year as assistant administrator in Assisted Living Facilities. Any advice on what path I follow would be greatly appreciated. I have noticed the course by Dr. Allen for AIT but afraid to take this course since after completion I believe I would hear what Ivan is going thru, the need for "experienced" administrators.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kia in Fayetteville, Georgia

76 months ago

I am an assistant administrator in GA. I am a LNHA and have worked in long term care for 10 years as a CNA and HR manager. It wasn't easy finding this position but once I got the interview i made sure i got the job. My boss says that she liked that I was already licensed so she wouldn't have to help me pass the test. I am from Florida but found that FL has one two many hoops for u to jump through to get your license. I havr a MBA with a specialization in health care admin. Took a job in St. Pete as HR because they promised me the AIT but never started me in the program. I researched GA and found that I had all of their requirements for licensure except the exam. So I applied for GA's license and exam(national). Florida will reciprocate GA's license after 6 months experience. There are headhunters that will help you. FYI UHS Pruitt has an assistant administrator position open right now, in Atlanta of course.

chris

76 months ago

Thanks for the comment. I actually sent my resume to UHS last week for the AIT program. I haven't heard anything back as of yet, but I am planning on following up with them next week. Does anyone how they are about follow up calls at UHS. Also is it typical to not hear anything back for while after applying for an AIT program at UHS. It has been my experience that you either hear back quickly if a company is at all interested or not at all if they or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheila in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

Hello all. I like most of you, I was searching for an AIT program and I have been a Registered Nurse for 12 years, and I just graduated with my MHA. I was fortunate enough to apply to an organization that advertised their AIT program. It did not happen over night though. But I am 3 weeks into the AIT program. If you go to websites for long term care or acute rehabiliation facilities such as Life Care Centers of America, Kindred, Marquis, etc. They post their AIT positions on their websites. Good luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William JM Diggins III in South Bend, Indiana

76 months ago

I am also looking for a place to do an AIT internship. I live in Indiana and would like to stay in the area ,however, I have opened my search up so that I don't miss any opportunities. I have been working in health care for the past 6 years in many different capacities. I am not going to give up the fight in obtaining my goal of becoming Long term care administrator. I love working in this field and fill that I have alot to offer. I am currently a Social Service Director for Golden Living Centers in Mishawaka. Please give an advice and help that you can. I am currently enrolled in HOPE a class that helps enhance any skills and teach how to become a successful adminsitrator. Good Luck to all and one day we'll all look back and be able to help someone else in there journey to be an administrator.

bigmoney in Lakeland, Florida

75 months ago

William JM Diggins III in South Bend, Indiana said: I am also looking for a place to do an AIT internship. I live in Indiana and would like to stay in the area ,however, I have opened my search up so that I don't miss any opportunities. I have been working in health care for the past 6 years in many different capacities. I am not going to give up the fight in obtaining my goal of becoming Long term care administrator. I love working in this field and fill that I have alot to offer. I am currently a Social Service Director for Golden Living Centers in Mishawaka. Please give an advice and help that you can. I am currently enrolled in HOPE a class that helps enhance any skills and teach how to become a successful adminsitrator. Good Luck to all and one day we'll all look back and be able to help someone else in there journey to be an administrator.

iwonder if they have classes like that in florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sonya1014

75 months ago

Help, anyone I am looking for ait program in delaware, pennsylvania, or maryland I am a nurse and have been for 5 years in ltc also have bs in business

Barbara Finney in Coffeyville, Kansas

74 months ago

bradley said: Hi all. I'm currently trying to get my administrator's license in GA. I am trying to find out information about administrator in training programs.

Brad, Hi I am currently working in the state of kansas tring to figure out how to take a class I getting ready to graduate with my BS in Accounting but have the option to be an adminstrator if I take the exam. How will I learn what I need to know? By the way the need for AIT's are really high in the state of Kansas.
Thanks
Barb!

catherine in Wichita, Kansas

74 months ago

Barbara Finney in Coffeyville, Kansas said: Brad, Hi I am currently working in the state of kansas tring to figure out how to take a class I getting ready to graduate with my BS in Accounting but have the option to be an adminstrator if I take the exam. How will I learn what I need to know? By the way the need for AIT's are really high in the state of Kansas.
Thanks
Barb!

Contact Janet Brandes at WSU. You will need a class or two in long term care. You will also need to do a 480 AIT with a nursing home administrator. She will help find one willing to take you under his/her wing. You will have to be patient because very few of them are willing to train some one. It will take time to learn all you need to know about LTC it is a complex industry. Having a license is nothing without experience. You have to be willing no money for a while as you get experience. After that you will be raking in the dough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Barbara Finney in Coffeyville, Kansas said: Brad, Hi I am currently working in the state of kansas tring to figure out how to take a class I getting ready to graduate with my BS in Accounting but have the option to be an adminstrator if I take the exam. How will I learn what I need to know? By the way the need for AIT's are really high in the state of Kansas.
Thanks
Barb!

Contact Janet Brandes at WSU. You will need a class or two in long term care. You will also need to do a 480 AIT with a nursing home administrator. She will help find one willing to take you under his/her wing. You will have to be patient because very few of them are willing to train some one. It will take time to learn all you need to know about LTC it is a complex industry. Having a license is nothing without experience. You have to be willing to make very little money for a while as you get experience. After that you will be raking in the dough.

74 months ago

Thanks
Barb!

Contact Janet Brandes at WSU. You will need a class or two in long term care. You will also need to do a 480 hr AIT with a nursing home administrator. She will help find one willing to take you under his/her wing. You will have to be patient because very few of them are willing to train some one. It will take time to learn all you need to know about LTC it is a complex industry. Having a license is nothing without experience. You have to be willing to make very little money for a while as you get experience. After that you will be raking in the dough.

Gabriel in Norfolk, Virginia

74 months ago

Nikeba in Glen Allen, Virginia said: Hello Everyone!

My name is Nikeba and I am attempting to find a AIT program in Virginia. I have my Master's in Health Services Administration so according to the Department of Health Professions I will need to complete at least 320 hours till now i have been looking for a place too for my AIT program whether is paid or unpaid i am ready to accept the offer

gabriel odekhian in newport news, Virginia

74 months ago

My name is Gabriel and I am attempting to find a AIT program in Virginia. I have my Master's in Health Services Administration so according to the Department of Health Professions I will need to complete at least 320 hours till now i have been looking for a place too for my AIT program whether is paid or unpaid i am ready to accept the offer but Nikeba don't be discourage it will be well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melba Ford in Las Vegas, Nevada

73 months ago

Sheila in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hello all. I like most of you, I was searching for an AIT program and I have been a Registered Nurse for 12 years, and I just graduated with my MHA. I was fortunate enough to apply to an organization that advertised their AIT program. It did not happen over night though. But I am 3 weeks into the AIT program. If you go to websites for long term care or acute rehabiliation facilities such as Life Care Centers of America, Kindred, Marquis, etc. They post their AIT positions on their websites. Good luck in your search.

Do you live in Las Vegas? How would I find a list of the AIT programs?
How many hours a week? are there jobs in the area for Assistant living Administrators? Ms. M. Ford

Sheila in Las Vegas, Nevada

73 months ago

Yes, I do live in Las Vegas. Unfortunately AIT programs are not listed. You will need to apply to the company just as if you are applying for a job. It is considered an internship program. The companies that I listed will either list the openings on their website, which you can google, or you may be fortunate to find it on Monster. The AIT position is a full time job. Nevada requires 1000 hours (26 weeks) of training in various departments. Your testing includes ALF (Assisted Living Administrators). I hope this helps. www.nabweb.org/NABWEB/common/StateBoardSearch.aspx?id=678 if you go to the link I provided maybe they will be of some assistance. Good luck.

mjlopes2004 in East Greenwich, Rhode Island

72 months ago

I have recently graduated with my BS in Health Service Administration and have 4 years experience in a skilled nursing home as a Hospitality Director. I am having problems locating a paid AIT position as do most it seems. I know each state requires different requirements. I would be willing to relocate if it requires me to. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

Jeff Atkinson in Greenville, South Carolina

71 months ago

I recently graduated with a B.S. Health Care Administration degree minor in HR management and I too am searching for an AIT program. I have applied to all I can find on the net with no luck. My previous experience was in management but I have no work experience in a health care setting. Any insight would be helpful. Should I take a low paying job in healthcare? Or stay outside of healthcare in a higher paying job while continually applying for AIT programs? I live in Greenville, SC but might consider relocation.

Barbara Finney in Coffeyville, Kansas

71 months ago

Hello Jeff have you tried appling at Nursing home frist you have to have a preceptor if you can get on at a nursing home this would be your best bet. Good Luck.

Jeff Atkinson in Greenville, South Carolina

71 months ago

Thank you for the information. Ms/Mrs. Finney do I understand correctly that I should attempt to locate a local facility that would be willing to take me on or offers preceptor services? Honestly I have not heard of this option before but it makes a certain amount of sense to get practical, operational, and functional knowledge.

Michelle A. in Douglasville, Georgia

71 months ago

Hi Bradley. Like you, I too live in GA and I had been looking for an approved preceptor with approved facility. It is hard. You can start by going to the webbsite of GA Board of Nursing home Administrator and look for site that is near your area. Good luck

Michelle

Robin Huston in Winchester, Indiana

69 months ago

William JM Diggins III in South Bend, Indiana said: I am also looking for a place to do an AIT internship. I live in Indiana and would like to stay in the area ,however, I have opened my search up so that I don't miss any opportunities. I have been working in health care for the past 6 years in many different capacities. I am not going to give up the fight in obtaining my goal of becoming Long term care administrator. I love working in this field and fill that I have alot to offer. I am currently a Social Service Director for Golden Living Centers in Mishawaka. Please give an advice and help that you can. I am currently enrolled in HOPE a class that helps enhance any skills and teach how to become a successful adminsitrator. Good Luck to all and one day we'll all look back and be able to help someone else in there journey to be an administrator.

Bill, I too am considering the HOPE course for Summer 2009. Is it worth the money? Have you been able to find a preseptor to do the AIT?
Thanks,

Larissa in Alice, Texas

69 months ago

Hi all. I'm currently trying to get my administrator's license in TX. I am trying to find out information about administrator in training programs.

Wendy

69 months ago

Just contact the board and they can provide you with a list of preceptors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bigmoney in Orlando, Florida

69 months ago

well hello all and good luck.. well i graduate with my B.A. in Healthcare Administration. next year. and i was wondering since iam moving back to texas do i need to take my state and nationals there or could it be taken from here. iam in Florida now. and please if anyone could let me borrow the notes from prevous test i am willing to pay if iam able but not sure what you all will charge. tell me things i should be doing now to get ready for the exam.. and how early should i start studying for the exams.. as i see it wont be easy. thank you all for your comments..

Arlene in Monmouth, Maine in Winthrop, Maine

69 months ago

Mike in Macon, Georgia said: Bradley you can try UHS-Pruit or Ethica Health Care both major companies in Georgia. I am an assistant administrator in Macon. Pruitt has na AIT program in its Athens facility and Ethica has a couple. Mike

Hello,

I will be graduating from South University, can you send me more information on the AIR program? I would like to find out if there are still openings? I need your help.

Thank you,

Arlene

michelle in Zionsville, Indiana

62 months ago

Did you have any luck with finding an AIT position? I am also looking in Indiana.

michelle in Zionsville, Indiana

62 months ago

Robin Huston in Winchester, Indiana said: Bill, I too am considering the HOPE course for Summer 2009. Is it worth the money? Have you been able to find a preseptor to do the AIT?
Thanks,

Did you have any luck finding an AIT position in Indiana? I am also searching. Do you have any helpful advice?
Thanks

Gabriel Odekhian in Newport News, Virginia

58 months ago

My name is Gabriel Odekhian I have master degree in health service administration at this moment i am still looking for a place to do my AIT program till now I have not received any message from no one, at this present i'm a Ph.D in Public Health student at Walden University specialization Community Health Promotion and Education. Please everyone who read my message i'm despirately looking for place to do my AIT program even thou for volunter i am willing to commit.I live in Newport news, Virgina State.

Nikeba in Glen Allen, Virginia said: Hello Everyone!

My name is Nikeba and I am attempting to find a AIT program in Virginia. I have my Master's in Health Services Administration so according to the Department of Health Professions I will need to complete at least 320 hours (i.e. although this is subject to change). I have mailed out letters to several administrators to attempt to seek a preceptor. However, I have not had any luck...I am willing to take a paid or unpaid position if it helps towards my goal.

Rhonda in Warner Robins, Georgia

56 months ago

Gabriel Odekhian in Newport News, Virginia said: My name is Gabriel Odekhian I have master degree in health service administration at this moment i am still looking for a place to do my AIT program till now I have not received any message from no one, at this present i'm a Ph.D in Public Health student at Walden University specialization Community Health Promotion and Education. Please everyone who read my message i'm despirately looking for place to do my AIT program even thou for volunter i am willing to commit.I live in Newport news, Virgina State.

I graduated and Have my BS in Health Administration. For GA. it is hard to get with an approved Georgia AIT nursing home sites. I have went on the Georgia state board site and pulled up the nursing homes that are approved and called the nursing homes to talk with the administrator who is a licensed preceptor to do the AIT program. The response was they do not know nothing about their facility being an approved nursing home site. However, I did find out that the State of Illinois do not have you to take the AIT program just take the test the National and the Illinois state test. I am from Illinois but moved to Georgia I might have to go back home to Illinois to do just that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sweeksrn in Las Vegas, Nevada

56 months ago

Gabriel,
Try LCCA.com Life Care Centers of America. They have an excellent AIT program. Good luck!!!

Mike in East Greenwich, Rhode Island

56 months ago

Gabriel, You can try Kindredhealthcare.com. That is where I got into for my AIT program. It is not easy to find a home or company that runs the AIT Program. Kindred has 266 home accross the country in 41 sates but only hire about 7 a year for the Nursing Home division and 7 for the Hospital Division with about 800 applicants. I wish you luck.

Sunday in Concord, North Carolina

56 months ago

Hi Rhonda in GA,

I m a current AIT candidate in NC,however I live in SC and commute anhour 1/2 one way daily to complete a 22 week AIT Program because I couldn't find a preceptor in SC. It is hard at times to break through, but I am almost sure that someone is jerking your chain about not knowing that they are on the list. The reason being is because the administrator had to go to a continuing education course in order to be a preceptor so the administrator is fully aware that they are on the list. You may want to try stopping by the facilities with a resume on hand to show that you are serious about your endeavor. If that doesn't work and you are determined to do it and can pull it off go back to Illinois to get the license and apply for a licence by reciprocity which is what I will be doing & then I will be licensed in 2 states. Good Luck

pamela in Dublin, Georgia

53 months ago

i plan to take the nha exam in georgia soon. if u have any tips on taking the exam, please share. i would like to get a position in a nursing home...pretty open to type of position. Recommendation on good resources for study purposes.

i miss the recent townsend class. thanks for your input!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ava in Augusta, Georgia

47 months ago

Pamela,

I am getting ready to study for the NHA exam too. If you want to buddy up that would be nice. Let me know.

pamela payne in Macon, Georgia

47 months ago

yes...this will be great. i am looking forward to us both passing!
email address pamelapayne2007@bellsouth.net

pamela payne in Macon, Georgia

47 months ago

Ava in Augusta, Georgia said: Pamela,

I am getting ready to study for the NHA exam too. If you want to buddy up that would be nice. Let me know.

ava contact via my regular email so we can exchange phone numbers

pamela in Macon, Georgia

47 months ago

Ava in Augusta, Ga

Looking to hear from you soon.

pamela in Macon, Georgia

47 months ago

does anyone have test questions and answers that i could purchase. trying to get familiar with various scenarios.

gabriel in Newport News, Virginia

47 months ago

Can anybody help out i finished my master program in health service administration since 2008 at this time I have kw place to do my AIT training program, I live in newport news, virginia. Please if any body can help i will be very greatful.

gabriel in Newport News, Virginia

47 months ago

Sunday in Concord, North Carolina said: Hi Rhonda in GA,

I m a current AIT candidate in NC,however I live in SC and commute anhour 1/2 one way daily to complete a 22 week AIT Program because I couldn't find a preceptor in SC. It is hard at times to break through, but I am almost sure that someone is jerking your chain about not knowing that they are on the list. The reason being is because the administrator had to go to a continuing education course in order to be a preceptor so the administrator is fully aware that they are on the list. You may want to try stopping by the facilities with a resume on hand to show that you are serious about your endeavor. If that doesn't work and you are determined to do it and can pull it off go back to Illinois to get the license and apply for a licence by reciprocity which is what I will be doing & then I will be licensed in 2 states. Good Luck

Congratulation Rhonda, I live in newport news i don't mind to drive to North carolina i have been looking for this opportunity isn't anyway you can help''PLEASE RHONDA''once again congratulation

pam in Macon, Georgia

47 months ago

hi, i would love to know what your experience has been like as an AIT and some of the things you have learned.

pamelapayne2007@bellsouth.net
lets talk soon - send me your email and i will be able to hopefully communicate with you by email and /or phone.
thanks!

Fergy090 in Wheelersburg, Ohio

47 months ago

Hello everyone, I just took my licensing exams yesterday and passed! Can anyone give me any tips on how to get the jobs since I do not have experience in Healthcare? I have my B.S in Business with a concentration in health admin. I went through a university sponsored AIT program.
Thanks for the help!
Fergy

Kia993 in orlando, Florida

47 months ago

Start in a lower position, preferably the business office or assistant administrator. If you don't have experience, all you will here is "we are looking for someone with a little more experience." Financial experience is key but a well round experience of all departments is also important. I was an assistant administrator for 3 years before I got an administrator position so don't get frustrated.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.