How to locate nursing homes that offer AIT positions

Comments (32)

Jeff Atkinson in Greenville, South Carolina

80 months ago

I have recently completed my degree in Healthcare Administration. I need to get my foot in the door and was informed that an AIT is the best and ideal option. My question is does anyone know how to locate a list of those facilities in my or any state? After applying to many locations I now know that I must find locations that 1) Have an administrator that is a preceptor, 2) offers an AIT program, and 3) has an opening for such a position. I can find these lists for Florida but if anyone knows how to find a list of facilities that meet these credentials in SC, NC, or GA I would greatly appreciate some insight.

Ruth in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

79 months ago

I am also looking for facilities in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that offer AIT program, these can be unpaid or paid, I will take any. I have a masters degree in health administration

APRILLOPEZ in Walnut Creek, California

79 months ago

Jeff Atkinson in Greenville, South Carolina said: I have recently completed my degree in Healthcare Administration. I need to get my foot in the door and was informed that an AIT is the best and ideal option. My question is does anyone know how to locate a list of those facilities in my or any state? After applying to many locations I now know that I must find locations that 1) Have an administrator that is a preceptor, 2) offers an AIT program, and 3) has an opening for such a position. I can find these lists for Florida but if anyone knows how to find a list of facilities that meet these credentials in SC, NC, or GA I would greatly appreciate some insight.

The best place to look is at the TOP. Contact you Department of Health and Human Services which should be located in either the yellow pages under state or government section or use your internet. The DHS governs all nursing homes licensing compliance and therefore they have all records and lists of nursing homes in your area. That means in SC, NC, and GA. Then I would highly recommend going in person and asking them for a list of all the nursing homes in your area and they usually have a list to give you. It is your right to be able to review the facilities and you can do that when you are at the DHS offices. Good Luck

APRILLOPEZ in Walnut Creek, California

79 months ago

Ruth in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: I am also looking for facilities in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that offer AIT program, these can be unpaid or paid, I will take any. I have a masters degree in health administration

Dear Ruth,

I worked in Human Resources for several years and what I noticed is women have a tendency to ask for less then their "true worth". You are worthly of getting paid and asking for the base salary and then after you are licensed then you start to have fun and negotiate your salary. Please read comments I gave to Jeff Atkinson in S.C. to help you with your job search. You would like to target the larger chains (ie. Beverly Enterprises because they usually have AIT preceptor programs and I remember getting $18,000 when I started out in the 90's, but it would be higher today). You will be able to spot the bigger chains at DHS because their Umbrella company will say DBA the subsidiary. Then call their Administrator, Assistant Administrator or Business Office Manager and ask about applying to the AIT position. GOOD LUCK!

aretha in Laurinburg, North Carolina

79 months ago

Jeff Atkinson in Greenville, South Carolina said: I have recently completed my degree in Healthcare Administration. I need to get my foot in the door and was informed that an AIT is the best and ideal option. My question is does anyone know how to locate a list of those facilities in my or any state? After applying to many locations I now know that I must find locations that 1) Have an administrator that is a preceptor, 2) offers an AIT program, and 3) has an opening for such a position. I can find these lists for Florida but if anyone knows how to find a list of facilities that meet these credentials in SC, NC, or GA I would greatly appreciate some insight.

There is a website with a list of preceptors: www.ncbenha.org this is for NC. Hope this helps!

Jeff Atkinson in Greenville, South Carolina

79 months ago

Thank you so much for your assistance. The site for NC is far better than most I have seen. In January I am slated to be part of a "shadowing program" that a facility has that is local to me. It is unpaid but I will take all the experience I can get as I continue to apply to be an AIT. Thanks again. All the best.

Jeff Atkinson

Vickie Allen in Nashville, Tennessee

72 months ago

I'm a Recent graduate of the University of Pheonix. I currently hold a bachelor degree In Healthcare Administration and currently seeking an AIT Program Perferbly Long Term care. I'm not Interested In pay my objective is to become a Licenses Administrator.and operate my own Church base facility.

L Huggins in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

72 months ago

I have recently completed my classroom work for my Masters Degree in Health Management. I now have to do a 6 month internship to complete my degree. Does anyone have any advise on who I can contact to obtain a position or enter an AIT program (preferably in Louisiana but willing to go where ever). Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.

J Pittard in Nampa, Idaho

72 months ago

I am looking at getting an AIT position in Idaho or Arizona. I have a bachelor degree in Healthcare Administration with a minor in Business Administration. Also, I will be finishing my Masters in Business Administration/Healthcare degree this November. Does anyone know who I need to contact in AZ? Thanks for the Help.

Vickie Allen in Nashville, Tennessee

72 months ago

not sure looking for one myself, if you find one please contact me via email.

beloved in Irvine, California

71 months ago

I finished the 1000 hour ait program in california. Do i need to train again if I want to work in philadelphia? or, am I eligible to just take the state exams?

skylw in marion, Massachusetts

43 months ago

aretha in Laurinburg, North Carolina said: There is a website with a list of preceptors: www.ncbenha.org this is for NC. Hope this helps![/QUOdoTE]

Hi do you have a website for MA ?

skylw in marion, Massachusetts

43 months ago

Hi does any one know of a website that has a list of Preceptors in Mass.

Thank you....

cjsmith22079 in Greenville, Mississippi

40 months ago

I am currently seeking my MBA. I currently have a Undergraduates degree in Health Care Administration. I was wondering what are the next steps to take to be successful as a Nursing Home Administrator.

40 months ago

I have recently received my undergraduate degree in Health Care Administration. I am currently pursuing my MBA in business. I would like to know if anyone can guide me in the appropriate direction of how to obtain my goal as a Nursing Home Administrator. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

April Raffel in Walnut Creek, California

40 months ago

The Department of Public Health oversees the Nursing Homes for inspections. I would recommend getting a list from them in you geographic area. Next, I would look online to see who are the largest chains as well as local nursing homes. I worked for several and the few that come to mind were Beverly Enterprises, Mariner, HCR Manor Care, Sun Healthcare, etc. You get the jest by googling them "Largest Nursing Home Chains". Next I would call them to see who had any opportunities and were interviewing for AIT candidates. Usually if they are interviewin, they have a Preceptor who will guide the AIT. You have to have interviews before you can be selected UNLESS you have that connection, which makes life so much easier. Unless the requirement has changed you have to put in a certain amount of hours into each department before you are allowed to take the state and federal tests and pass both portions to receive you NHA license. Good luck! it is a great field to start looking into during these times with the aging of America.

40 months ago

Hey April thanks for your response. In your response you stated that I must have a certain number of hours in each department. My question to you is what departments am I required to receive these hours, the number of hours required, and what books do I need to begin studying for the examines? I know that is huge amount of information that I am requesting but it will be extremely helpful if you provided this information to me. Thanks in advance!!

40 months ago

Hey April thanks for your response. In your response you stated that I must have a certain number of hours in each department. My question to you is what departments am I required to receive these hours, the number of hours required, and what books do I need to begin studying for the examines? I know that is huge amount of information that I am requesting but it will be extremely helpful if you provided this information to me. Thanks in advance!!

40 months ago

The amount of hours may vary from state to state, but the departments include patient care, therapy, dietary, social service, activities, medical records, housekeeping, maintenance and of course time in administration. I do not have the exact hours in each department, but I believe distributed over 1000 hours and you may have six months to complete. You may have more hours in patient care because you will be dealing with the elderly on a percentage of time. You will receive the hours in each department by your Preceptor. I was also a preceptor for nursing homes and trained my AIT. She passed both the State and Federal on her first try. I still have my license on inactive status in California and in California for the State Test I literally memorized Title XXII and missed one outvof 50 questions. For the Federal test, it really helps to have a business degree because the Federal test is more generic and asks questions taught in business school from accounting, finance, management, workman compensation, public administration. I believe the book which helped the most for the Federal test was Winborne Davis if that book is still around. It appeared to me to read the same as the Federal test. However, please understand each year the tests change and I was constantly asking new Administators what was on the test to help new AITs pass the tests with updated information and I stopped updating in the 1990s. Good Luck! It was a great experience and opened many doors for me in my career. The NHA License is very lucrative once you gain experience and it usually takes three years to encounter most situations dealing with the elderly. It is rewarding!

40 months ago

April, thanks for communicating with me. I appreciate all of the information you are providing. I would like to continue communicating with you in regards to NHA. How can I gather the information needed to study for the NHA exam? I understand that the NHA program is a paid program. Is the pay low?

40 months ago

Cjsmith, When I started my AIT position in. 1990s I took a pay cut because I thought the experience would be valuable and I was not raising a family. Back then I started at $18,000 which is low. I know they raised the amount since and you probably need to be doing some research and google AIT in nursing Homes. I am not currently working in nursing homes so I am not familiar with current pay scales.

As far as gathering information to study for NHA, I would probably contact your state's Department of Public Health Title XXII Governance over Nursing Homes. I would also try and locate via Internet OBRA licensing for Nursing Homes which is a resource manual which the inspectors use to oversee Nursing Homes in California. Look up Winborn Davis and see any publications that relate to Nursing Homes or Health Care Administration. However the best resource would be to getvinto a AIT program because they would knownwhat manuals tonlook atbwhich works best with your state. I am giving youninfo relating to California and I don't want to lead you down the wrong path and give you unnecessary direction. These manuals applybto California.

Casandra in New Orleans, Louisiana

32 months ago

I have an MBA and a Bachelor in Healthcare Administration. I am also a licensed nurse. I am currently looking to work as a AIT in a nursing home but have been unsuccessful. I am hoping that someone would give me a chance to do my AIT soon. I have gone to several different nursing homes but have not been given the opportunity to start my AIT as of now. Any suggestions?

Casandra in Metairie, Louisiana

32 months ago

April Raffel in Walnut Creek, California said: Cassandra,

Most of the skilled nursing facilities belong to an organization called CAHF, The California Association of Health Facilities. I would strongly recommended Googling abd perusing that site for members and visit the locations closest to you. I also recommend if you have any friends or connections which may work in that industry to give you a tour and if you get a chance, meet the Administrator and tell them you are interested if their AIT program or if they have any leads to other places who may have an AIT program. I have an HR background and it appears like having connections is the best lead to a job, along with being prepared with your education. Nurses are always in demand. I wish you much luck in your AIT position. Let me know if I helped you with your question.

April

Thanks so much April for your response. I have met with several nursing home administrators and have also asked them to refer me to others. I am waiting patiently for the door to open soon. I am in constant contact with one of the top administrators waiting to see when I can start my AIT. Of course, I am still looking for other suggestions in order for me to get the ball rolling sooner. I am also considering relocating to another state to get the training done and possibly make that place my new residence if everything goes well for me. Thanks for the great advice.

Tedrick in Tupelo, Mississippi

32 months ago

Hi. My name is Tedrick and I have a Masters in Healthcare Administration. I am also desiring to become an AIT. I live in Mississippi and would like help finding a preceptorship in my state. Does anyone know where I can locate open AIT preceptorships in Mississippi? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Priscilla in Vallejo, California

28 months ago

beloved in Irvine, California said: I finished the 1000 hour ait program in california. Do i need to train again if I want to work in philadelphia? or, am I eligible to just take the state exams?

Hi,

I am also seeking AIT in California, (The Bay area)precisely. Could you please help me by providing me the facility you did yours at? I'd like to contact them and see if they can help me or maybe refer me.

Thanks

Lawana in Antioch, California

28 months ago

April Raffel in Walnut Creek, California said: Cassandra,

Most of the skilled nursing facilities belong to an organization called CAHF, The California Association of Health Facilities. I would strongly recommended Googling abd perusing that site for members and visit the locations closest to you. I also recommend if you have any friends or connections which may work in that industry to give you a tour and if you get a chance, meet the Administrator and tell them you are interested if their AIT program or if they have any leads to other places who may have an AIT program. I have an HR background and it appears like having connections is the best lead to a job, along with being prepared with your education . Nurses are always in demand. I wish you much luck in your AIT position. Let me know if I helped you with your question.

April

Hi April, Are you still training for the AIT program? I'm located in Antioch, California and would love if you could help train me. I have been searching everywhere and even willing to relocate. It was be nice to find someone with your knowledge that would be willing. PLease let me know , my email is lawanaharrison@yahoo.com

Dione in Jackson, Mississippi

16 months ago

Tedrick in Tupelo, Mississippi said: Hi. My name is Tedrick and I have a Masters in Healthcare Administration . I am also desiring to become an AIT. I live in Mississippi and would like help finding a preceptorship in my state. Does anyone know where I can locate open AIT preceptorships in Mississippi? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, I am also interested in completing an AIT program in Mississippi. Have you had any luck?

Laverne in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

I'm interested in an AIT program in the Philadelphia area. Any information you may have would be appreciated. Thanks.

KYSHA in GOLDSBORO, North Carolina

15 months ago

I have an AAS in Medical Office Administration and working on my BS in Healthcare Management which is expected to have Spring 2015 from Capella University. I am having trouble finding a job, so a freind of mind told me about AIT program. MY goal is to administer a long-term/assisted living facility but I have no experience. What should I do? Where should I began?

Thanks

Ivy in Oakland, California

13 months ago

Hi,

I have been trying to locate a preceptor in the Bay Area, CA for a while and have no luck. I have been in skilled nursing for 5+ year. Please advice.

Thank you

Angela in Amelia, Ohio

9 months ago

I have a Bachelor's in Health Care Administration and a MBA... My desire is to find a facility that offers AIT in Ohio... I really need to find one that is willing to pay since the state requirement is working as an AIT at 40 hours a week or more. Not sure if any place will pay but I am not sure how else to do the training and support myself at the same time. Any suggestions?

patrick A Ngene in Indianapolis, Indiana

7 months ago

I just found a program at the Ohio state university for the AIT training but was not able to talk to anyone who could give me more information about it so you all can check that out.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.