Bio undergrad but want a masters in Nutrition...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

a girl in San Diego, California

41 months ago

Hello, I'm looking for a career change and I'm wondering if I can do this: I have a bachelors in Dev and Cell Bio from a good science school and I'd like to get a masters in nutrition. Are online nutrition degrees worth anything? Or if I did an on-campus masters, what would I need to do to be accepted to a masters program?

I've seen an online program from the "Institute for Integrative Nutrition", has anyone heard anything about a degree from this place?

Thank you in advance for any advice or thoughts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia-S in Middlefield, Connecticut

40 months ago

I am a Registered Dietitian, who is coincidentally looking for employment after completing four years undergrad, a year long internship, and sitting for my Registration exam. I still need to get a state license. I wanted to respond to your post to let you know that if you really want to get into nutrition, there are some serious issues to consider. Most people only want to hire RDs and to become one at your level (as I had a minor in Biology myself) would require at least two years to get the Didactic requirements to then get into an internship or masters (you could do a combo to get both). These internships are extremely competitive and unpaid. Most of the online degrees are worthless. If you would like to learn more about schools that qualify for online classes check out The American Dietetic Association's website at eatright.org. If you are looking to get into a new field you may want to consider looking into a Food Science career. This has less stringent requirements and you have many of the prereqs already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

A. in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

I live in Los Angeles, so I can tell you that pursuing a Nutrition degree and internship here in Southern California is very competitive. I am a recent graduate from Cal State Los Angeles scraping by, and I don't make enough to live on my own. I live with my parents because the only thing available are food service related jobs. I applied to 25 jobs last year and only got one phone call as a dining room manager, and make as much as the cook. If you want to pursue your masters, it is not hopeless, but it is a gamble couple with hard work, tears, and money, from applying and reapplying to the dietetic internships that are over competitive, and lacking in opportunity. After 4-5 years of applying, you have to retake classes or complete continuing education, otherwise you have to retake classes to continue to apply for the dietetic internship program.
Like the previous reviewer said, go to www.eatright.org to look up the accredited schools if you are interested in practicing clinically, and not holistically. The medical field, and most places look for the credential as an RD (B.S.dietetics), or DTR (A.S. Degree in dietetics). Good luck if you pursue it. try to go to a school with a CDP program. You may have a better chance of getting in because the professors know you on an intimate level, and if you don't get into the CDP program, you can continue to apply for the DPD program. Versus never getting a chance with the CDP. The CDP is an internship equivalent offered by the university to be taken concurrently with your coursework, and only offered exclusively to the universities own students; The DPD on the otherhand, is the program offered to students after they complete their Bachelors degree. However, its a lot harder to get a internship, due to the competition and applications opened at the national level and other schools. I thought it would be easier to do the DPD so I wouldn't have to go to school F/T and shuffle internship-WRONG. There have been others lucky though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

If you still decide to pursue your masters, it depends on which school, but generally, you will need to:

Make sure the school is CADE-Accredited
Get your GRE done. Score high
Complete your prerequisite nutrition courses as outlined by the university. Go to the Community college=saves money.
Complete any other undergraduate courses related to nutrition.
Have a few letters of recommendation
Statement of your goals in the field
Submit Admissions application to the university
Submit Application to be admitted to the Masters degree program
Submit CDP application if the deadline is within range and the university offers it.

If you're going to the Community College to take the lower division classes, go to www.Assist.org, to find out which Community college courses are equivalent to the higher university courses you are applying. There is an articulation agreement between universities for transfer students even if its only one class. It will save you a lot money, time and trouble to do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

BTW, with a degree in Cell biology, I'm sure you can get a decent job in the hospital, or apply for a pre-med program at medical school. Consider working as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist in the hospital. You may have a good chance. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

S. in Pittsboro, North Carolina

29 months ago

The Institute for Integrative Nutrition does not issue degrees. It's program has been criticized at www.credentialwatch.org/reports/iin.shtml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

G. in Dallas, Texas

29 months ago

The Institute for Integrative Nutrition bills itself as an institution where one can obtain the training and tools one needs to start a holistic life coach business. Unfortunately this is a pipe dream as the overwhelming majority of graduates from the program are not successful in establishing said business. My recommendation is to obtain either real training (dietetics or nutrition degree from a real, accredited school) or if you are just interested in learning, then simply purchase nutrition textbooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristina Beck in Merced, California

25 months ago

IIN is a wonderful program. The problem when you attend a school for dietetics or nutrition, you only get educated in those subjects. You are not taught how to work directly with clients and how to run a buisness which IIN gives you in addition to the nutrition education. A lot of people are also unemployed when going through government accredited schools. The actual degree is not everything, it comes down to how you can run a buisness. For me after getting a bachelors IIN saved me because it gave me so much more than the B.S.
Email me if you want to talk more about the school and learn what is included in the modules and program: active4nutrition@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.